PDA

View Full Version : Winter and Mariner on The Soccer Show

Batman
04-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Just an FYI

Fan 590 at 9 PM tonight (thursday)

Whoop
04-14-2011, 03:30 PM
I thought it was a special edition starting at 8?

Oldtimer
04-14-2011, 03:52 PM
The website shows 8.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-14-2011, 04:16 PM
So is 8pm or 9pm??

Batman
04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
I stand corrected.
The show directory says 9, but today's show listing says 8, so I guess 8 it is.

Esquire
04-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Definitely 8, because it's on right now (http://player.rogersradio.ca/cjcl/on_air).

e: Any thoughts so far? (I've just started listening)

Alonso
04-14-2011, 07:19 PM
I started another thread about this.

Didn't see this one, merge please.

ArmenJBX
04-14-2011, 07:20 PM
omg commercials commercials commercials :(

Alonso
04-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Definitely 8, because it's on right now (http://player.rogersradio.ca/cjcl/on_air).

e: Any thoughts so far? (I've just started listening)

Sorry, me too, and its all commercials at the moment :-(

gcolacci
04-14-2011, 07:27 PM
a move before tommorow - paul just said!!

ArmenJBX
04-14-2011, 07:27 PM
May be a trade tomorrow?

kaos197O
04-14-2011, 07:29 PM
a move before tommorow - paul just said!!
They are still looking at it. Not confirming that one will happen.

Nuvinho
04-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Sturgis probably gone?

phonzo
04-14-2011, 07:31 PM
The usual birdie has let me know it's a signing not a trade and it's pretty much a go. Now I just gotta figure out the name :p

Alonso
04-14-2011, 07:31 PM
I emailed this question into them:

"Is their an effort underway at the moment to scout South America consistently? It doesn't seem that TFC are doing their due diligence in this region in the past compared to other teams in the league?

ALSO: Given that MLSE is in flux with its potential sale, do you have a green light to sign one or possibly two more DP's?"

Be nice to get an answer...

Wagner
04-14-2011, 07:32 PM
The usual birdie has let me know it's a signing not a trade and it's pretty much a go. Now I just gotta figure out the name :p

is it a big name? or a depth guy?

should i be oyster in my pants excited or mildly excited?

phonzo
04-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I emailed this question into them:

"Is their an effort underway at the moment to scout South America consistently? It doesn't seem that TFC are doing their due diligence in this region in the past compared to other teams in the league?

ALSO: Given that MLSE is in flux with its potential sale, do you have a green light to sign one or possibly two more DP's?"

Be nice to get an answer...

Flex is there regardless of sale and has potential to be two

Suds
04-14-2011, 07:36 PM
sounds like the idea of another DP is pretty much not in Winter & Mariner's plans

ArmenJBX
Signing a forward is crucial right now. Yesterday our depth was exposed

phonzo

I'm not sure yet till I can figure out the possible name don't have much to go on but it's a needed role in my mind.

ArmenJBX
04-14-2011, 07:37 PM
IS IT AMADO GUEVARA? :D
imagine :3

Alonso
04-14-2011, 07:37 PM

By the sounds of what Aron just said, DP's are not on the radar....

I hope my question gets asked by the show...

Alonso
04-14-2011, 07:38 PM
sounds like the idea of another DP is pretty much not in Winter & Mariner's plans

Thats the way I heard it too

Alonso
04-14-2011, 07:39 PM

By the sounds of it Mildly. If at all.

Nuvinho
04-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Alonso - your question got on the air.

kaos197O
there ya go buddy boy

ArmenJBX
There's your question Alonso! :D
and they disagree! XD

Suds
^^
yeahaa!! got your question on air!

Alonso
04-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Nice!

kaos197O
04-14-2011, 07:52 PM
SO, on the SA front, no one fits the role that TFC is looking for that will accept or play for the $$$$ that they are willing to pay. Lots of contacts, no fit yet!

Alonso
04-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Do you guys remember a Uruguan trialing for us in Turkey like Mariner mentioned?

Doesn't ring a bell for me...

Auzzy
04-14-2011, 07:59 PM
LMGTFY ;)

Search: "toronto fc" trialist 2011

First hit: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/reds-reveal-trialists

Santiago Gonzalez Areco is Uruguayan forward who has represented his country at under 17 level. He was included in the Uruguay squad for the FIFA U17 World Cup in Nigeria in 2009. The 18-year-old has been playing in his home country for Atletico River Plate Montevideo’s B Team.

TFC Cityboy
04-14-2011, 08:02 PM
on Setanta now- 9pm

TFCRegina
04-14-2011, 08:03 PM
IS IT AMADO GUEVARA? :D
imagine :3

Imagine we had a geezer Honduran on our squad who is undoubtedly not as good as he was the year prior.

No thanks.

Alonso
04-14-2011, 08:07 PM
^^^^ Thanks Auzzy.

Auzzy
04-14-2011, 08:11 PM
^ No problem, I was interested to find out! I also looked for an Argentinian trialist in 2011, but couldn't find anyone. Closest I could find was Yourassowsky, who has played for Boca Juniors in Argentina -- among many other locations. Perhaps there were other Argentinian prospects that never made it to trial, e.g. if salary expectations were far off...???

Alonso
04-14-2011, 08:20 PM
^ No problem, I was interested to find out! I also looked for an Argentinian trialist in 2011, but couldn't find anyone. Closest I could find was Yourassowsky, who has played for Boca Juniors in Argentina -- among many other locations. Perhaps there were other Argentinian prospects that never made it to trial, e.g. if salary expectations were far off...???

Still doesn't seem like much, considering what other teams have managed to find.

Salgado, Juninho, Santos (we didn't find him), Camilo etc.

bgnewf
04-14-2011, 08:42 PM
There has been more media availability and access on the part of Paul Mariner and Aron Winter in the four odd months they have been here than we got from Mo Johnston in over four years.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with what is said or not said on their part I think they deserve a lot of credit for at least changing the bunker mentality of the previous regime.

Beach_Red
04-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Winter and Mariner make a good team, it seems. Mariner brings a lot of MLS experience and makes it a lot easier for Winter to do his job. Experience and a proper FO, pretty much what we were asking for all these years.

denime
04-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Tomorrow April 15 is last day to sign a player or make the trade.Let's hope we sign a player or two.

bgnewf
04-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Tomorrow April 15 is last day to sign a player or make the trade.Let's hope we sign a player or two.

I am lucky enough to be going to TFC's training session tomorrow at Cherry Beach. I will have camera in hand and maybe I might get a snap of anybody new.

Stay tuned.

flamehawk
04-14-2011, 09:12 PM

When does the window reopen?

Cashcleaner
04-14-2011, 09:12 PM

Which is a real tragedy given how little our roster is costing MLSE as it is. There's like what? 4 or 5 players on the Leafs who are each getting paid more than our entire roster?

Phaneuf gets $7 million, Kessel got $6 million, Komierek also gets $6 million, but what's that? TFC wants to sign a single striker for $3 million? Ohhhhh, sorry. Not enough change in the piggybank.

rocker
04-14-2011, 09:16 PM
When does the window reopen?

July 15

rocker
04-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Which is a real tragedy given how little our roster is costing MLSE as it is. There's like what? 4 or 5 players on the Leafs who are each getting paid more than our entire roster?

Phaneuf gets $7 million, Kessel got $6 million, Komierek also gets $6 million, but what's that? TFC wants to sign a single striker for $3 million? Ohhhhh, sorry. Not enough change in the piggybank.

The bigger question though is this: is the talent you want to pay 6 million to available now, considering the Euro seasons are not over?

For example, Beckham wasn't available at this time of year back in 2007. He came in the summer. Same with Henry and Marquez.

reggie
04-14-2011, 09:19 PM
I am lucky enough to be going to TFC's training session tomorrow at Cherry Beach. I will have camera in hand and maybe I might get a snap of anybody new.

Stay tuned.
adda boy...god forbid that any of the so called press will break a signing or a story.

Beach_Red
04-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Is the money the issue? Last year the team paid Mista a lot of money so it seems that's not the problem. But they'll only get to spend it once a year, so if they make a mistake and give it to the wrong guy that could make things worse.

ensco
04-14-2011, 09:25 PM
The Leafs spend to maintain TV ratings. When TFC start getting the kind of TV ratings those clubs get, then there'll be more budget for players.

Cashcleaner
04-14-2011, 09:25 PM
The bigger question though is this: is the talent you want to pay 6 million to available now, considering the Euro seasons are not over?

For example, Beckham wasn't available at this time of year back in 2007. He came in the summer.

Oh for sure that's a great point. There are times when it's more advantageous to make these deal. It just makes me shiver when I hear the club dismiss the premise of picking up a DP as some inconceivable pipe dream. Not saying that's how Winter came across, mind you.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-14-2011, 09:28 PM

For example, Beckham wasn't available at this time of year back in 2007. He came in the summer. Same with Henry and Marquez.

this right here
For the record i doubt its ever MLSE trying to save money.
They spend money, just a matter of spending it on the wrong people and in the wrong way.

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2011, 09:37 PM
It sounded like Winter and Mariner aren't interested in signing an expensive, aging veteran from Europe as a DP. If a relatively young, lesser known impact player with a solid pedigree becomes available and is willing to play in T.O., I'm sure they will pursue that option.

Suds
04-14-2011, 09:44 PM
It sounded like Winter and Mariner aren't interested in signing an expensive, aging veteran from Europe as a DP. If a relatively young, lesser known impact player with a solid pedigree becomes available and is willing to play in T.O., I'm sure they will pursue that option.

Yes, this is more their position. They are not interested in renting a guy for a year at the end of his career to pad his bank account.

Auzzy
04-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Winter and Mariner have made it clear in previous interviews, that they only want another DP if & when it's the "right" DP & really helps the team. Not too old; right position & fits into the system; really wants to play here for a while & not coming just for a paycheque, etc. I believe Winter also said in a previous interview that they have the OK for (at least) one more DP.

I think phonzo mentioned in this thread as well, that there's permission for 1 or even 2 DPs?

I think Winter's point today was (paraphrased): there are lots of new players already on the team; the team is already pretty good; and they want to see the old guys & especially the young guys gel first.

Given the very spotty success record of DPs in MLS, I for one think it makes sense to not rush it. There's already been lots of turnover in the team; let's see how things go & what is really needed most, after the guys have played together for a while. Plus, what DP-calibre players would be available at this time of year, w/o a transfer fee? I guess only players that nobody else has wanted for a while...

Or I suppose we could all clamour for a desperation DP signing to keep the masses happy for a short while, because those have tended to work so well in the past...

Beach_Red
04-14-2011, 09:50 PM
this right here
For the record i doubt its ever MLSE trying to save money.
They spend money, just a matter of spending it on the wrong people and in the wrong way.

Oh well, it sometimes is MLSE not wanting to spend money, they'll always be in the middle of the pack, never at the top end. So as long as some other teams are siginging DPs and there's money in the bank, MLSE will spend a little of it.

They need some TV ratings and sponsorship deals, too ;).

Troll
04-14-2011, 09:52 PM
The Leafs spend to maintain TV ratings. When TFC start getting the kind of TV ratings those clubs get, then there'll be more budget for players.

So TFC don't spend to the max cap? :rolleyes:

Cashcleaner
04-14-2011, 09:57 PM
^ Irrelevent because DPs allow us to spend above the cap. Most MLS clubs that I'm aware of spend right up to the max, that's true enough. However, we should be one of the few takes advantage of the rule that let's us spend more.

Winter and Mariner have made it clear in previous interviews, that they only want another DP if & when it's the "right" DP & really helps the team. Not too old; right position & fits into the system; really wants to play here for a while & not coming just for a paycheque, etc. I believe Winter also said in a previous interview that they have the OK for (at least) one more DP.

You are describing a perfectly reasonable acquisition. More to the point, you're describing Hassli, who has scored three times in as many games for Vancouver. And to twist the knife in even deeper, the Whitecaps picked him up in March.

Blowing Bubbles
04-14-2011, 10:07 PM
So TFC don't spend to the max cap? :rolleyes:

we spend to the cap and there are still teams that spend up to 10 million $ more than us. The Cap is irrelevant to teams with money.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Any speculation on who this signing could be???

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2011, 10:19 PM
^ Irrelevent because DPs allow us to spend above the cap. Most MLS clubs that I'm aware of spend right up to the max, that's true enough. However, we should be one of the few takes advantage of the rule that let's us spend more.

You are describing a perfectly reasonable acquisition. More to the point, you're describing Hassli, who has scored three times in as many games for Vancouver. And to twist the knife in even deeper, the Whitecaps picked him up in March.

True, but didn't Mariner state in an interview that he almost signed a DP striker from the EPL in March? If he was honest about that, then at least we know they were trying. I don't think anyone ever found out who that player was.

ginkster88
04-14-2011, 10:22 PM
One thing's for sure, and is a breath of fresh air: I trust these guys.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-14-2011, 10:29 PM
we spend to the cap and there are still teams that spend up to 10 million $ more than us. The Cap is irrelevant to teams with money.

not really cuz its limited to 3 guys you can spend a billion dollars on.
we've seen theyve been at least willing to spend it on 2 even if 1 of them didnt work out and the jurys still out on the other (tho showing positive signs)
thats where we get into the old DP debate of who would want to come here etc etc

Troll
04-14-2011, 10:42 PM
You guys are crazy if you think T.O. is gonna attract a Henry, Beckham or Marques type of player. We don't spend 10 million above the cap because these guys don't want to play professional soccer in Canada. Hate to burst your bubble.

Alonso
04-14-2011, 11:00 PM
You guys are crazy if you think T.O. is gonna attract a Henry, Beckham or Marques type of player. We don't spend 10 million above the cap because these guys don't want to play professional soccer in Canada. Hate to burst your bubble.

I don't even think many people are asking for this.

All I'm asking for is any 3 DP's that they see fit. BUT 3DP's none-the-less.

We should have 3 DP's because we are one of the few clubs in this league making money, and because of the fan base. It's an edge we deserve I think.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-14-2011, 11:06 PM
im sure in time, if Winter sees it fit, we will have them, he might very well believe we dont need em tho, people gotta take that into consideration, RSL didnt have one til recently and even then it was saborio, incredibly good but hardly a big name

Alonso
04-14-2011, 11:10 PM
^^^^ That's all I'm saying. Here's to hoping :drinking:

Cashcleaner
04-14-2011, 11:23 PM

We should have 3 DP's because we are one of the few clubs in this league making money, and because of the fan base. It's an edge we deserve I think.

I hope you don't mind, but I want to steal this post and put it up on billboards all over town. And also have it plastered on our splash page. And circulated via leftlet at BMO Field.

We have the money. We make the money. Let's start spending the money - wisely, of course.

Alonso
04-14-2011, 11:47 PM
^^^^^ Haha. By all means Cash. It could be a little more articulately stated I think.

Phil
04-14-2011, 11:52 PM
I hope you don't mind, but I want to steal this post and put it up on billboards all over town. And also have it plastered on our splash page. And circulated via leftlet at BMO Field.

We have the money. We make the money. Let's start spending the money - wisely, of course.

There is still the cap hit that would account for 1/3rd of the overall.

Pookie
04-15-2011, 06:19 AM

Let's not forget that MLS ultimately influences where a big name ends up.

Henry had a $5m transfer fee for any team other than NYRB. For NYRB, the fee was $0

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 07:40 AM

Henry had a $5m transfer fee for any team other than NYRB. For NYRB, the fee was $0

Henry has been underwhelming in MLS, and it warms my heart considering that the move was orchestrated by the league.

As for the type of DP TFC should target, I would prefer a 25 year old South American star to a 35 year old retread from Europe.

bgnewf
04-15-2011, 08:38 AM

With all due respect I think you are selling this club and this city short when you say this. Toronto, along with arguably Vancouver & Seattle IMHO are just about the best options for a DP outside of New York and LA.

DangerRed
04-15-2011, 08:45 AM
You want a DP forward? Here's a couple:

http://nairabrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/didier_drogba2.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RlDIa82EkUE/TF1iT6Ns2EI/AAAAAAAABw8/Ulycg9vRrOs/s1600/images_players_nicolas-anelka_nicolas-anelka-10.jpg

But I don't give a shit if a DP who comes here is a celebrity name. I want someone who can bag goal after goal in the MLS, on a consistent basis.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-15-2011, 08:47 AM
With all due respect I think you are selling this club and this city short when you say this. Toronto, along with arguably Vancouver & Seattle IMHO are just about the best options for a DP outside of New York and LA.

agreed but its still in the MLS which isnt highly regarded and the cities themselves arent that well known in most circles although im sure its growing

brad
04-15-2011, 08:48 AM

Hassli seems a good signing so far, but as for those three goals - we gifted two of them to him and the third was a penalty. Let's see how he fairs as the season goes on.

brad
04-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Any speculation on who this signing could be???

Nope - but wasn't their an article about how that Burgos Jr guy was still with us waiting his ITC. Might be him.

brad
04-15-2011, 08:51 AM
One thing's for sure, and is a breath of fresh air: I trust these guys.

I agree - decisions are getting made for footballing reasons now - that much is clear.

brad
04-15-2011, 08:54 AM

And from my perspective, I want a good team. I could care less if that is achieved with DP's or not.

I'd take Cooper over Henry at this point.

brad
04-15-2011, 08:56 AM

It is, but if Henry had said "I want to play in Utah", the league would make it happen.

Nodoubtguy
04-15-2011, 08:56 AM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=27664

JonO
04-15-2011, 09:00 AM
There is still the cap hit that would account for 1/3rd of the overall.
Hello! 3 DPs means a significant balancing act with the rest of your team. More Gargans, fewer Stefanovics. Of course the great unkown in all this is allocation money...

Oldtimer
04-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Remember that none of MLS Cup finalists last year had even 1 DP.

Cashcleaner
04-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Hello! 3 DPs means a significant balancing act with the rest of your team. More Gargans, fewer Stefanovics. Of course the great unkown in all this is allocation money...

This. Of course the matter isn't as black-and-white as we'd like, but finding ways to improve the overall quality of the team is why brought in Winter and Mariner. I have total faith in their ability to make good managerial decisions.

Roogsy
04-15-2011, 09:12 AM

And the previous two MLS Cups?

Shall we revisit this at the end of this year?

maninb
04-15-2011, 09:16 AM
IMO we'll sign a DP in June after the Euro leagues are finished, and loads of players are out of a contract

Whoop
04-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Saborio wasn't a DP when RSL won the Cup.

Whoop
04-15-2011, 09:51 AM
IMO we'll sign a DP in June after the Euro leagues are finished, and loads of players are out of a contract

I think this is what will happen.

Batman
04-15-2011, 10:08 AM
This show is now available on demand. The interview with Winter and DeKlerk is quite extensive.

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20110414_232640_8964

drexel10
04-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Saborio wasn't a DP when RSL won the Cup.

He wasn't even on RSL when they won the cup. He came in last year after they lost Yura Movvsysian.

Whoop
04-15-2011, 10:16 AM
D'oh.

You're correct sir.

brad
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM

It's also only a half hit to the cap then. If rumors are true that we are carrying part of DeRo's salary for this year, that could also be factor.

But the word is they are not looking at Euro based DP's.

ExiledRed
04-15-2011, 10:22 AM

Remenber that the league champions, as they are described on the MLS site itself, we're the Galaxy and finished the season with 59 points and the supporters shield.

The Eastern Conference champs were New York.

burlington Red
04-15-2011, 10:30 PM

You think it might have something to do with the amount of games each teams plays and the revenue they get from tv

Cashcleaner
04-15-2011, 10:58 PM
^ It's obvious that the Leafs get a metric assload more revenue than TFC - nobody is debating that point. And as such, their spending will reflect that fact in turn. But no serious business entity would allocate budgets in such a linear and restrictive manner like only reinvesting an arbitrary percentage of revenues back into the club.

The truth is that for the foreseeable future,

A) Toronto FC will not be anywhere near as profitable as the Maple Leafs

and,

B) will likely require more spending (relatively, speaking) to bring us up to a competitive level in the league and stay there.