PDA

View Full Version : Man City vs. Whitecaps Friendly Announced

peterboroughtfcfan
04-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Looks like Vancouver is going to be playing a friendly vs. the Man City Millionaires at Empire Field in July.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=362242

The Whitecaps will be installing a temporary grass pitch for the match, much the same as we did for the match vs. Real.

How does this relate to TFC you ask? Well you'll notice that all season ticket holders are admitted to the match FREE OF CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

Love TFC, hate MLSE, jealous of Whitecaps!

werewolf
04-14-2011, 01:03 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/JSAN/29834_425060060347_510800347_5373868_562115_n.jpg

DangerRed
04-14-2011, 01:06 PM
How does this relate to TFC you ask? Well you'll notice that all season ticket holders are admitted to the match FREE OF CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

That's not that different from TFC: in our case, you'll get to see the team miss the playoffs for the fifth year in a row FREE OF CHARGE!

Badum-tish. :D

Brooker
04-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Love TFC, hate MLSE, jealous of Whitecaps!

I'm not jealous of a thing. This is damage control for fucking their supporters up the ass. Their supporters section and the debacle with their away tickets for their Portland/Seattle games which last I checked still wasn't resolved. Their owners are corrupt as hell, too.

leafsman
04-14-2011, 01:13 PM
is TFC trying to bring anyone in?

nobodybeatsthewiz
04-14-2011, 01:13 PM
laurent robert?

Alixir
04-14-2011, 01:25 PM
laurent robert?yesss!! *fistpump*

tovan
04-14-2011, 01:27 PM
"We are thrilled to be playing English Premier League club Manchester City FC at Empire Field,” said Paul Barber, Whitecaps FC chief executive officer. "Our inaugural season in Major League Soccer has been a tremendous success to this stage, with near capacity crowds at our first three home matches this season. As part of this exciting first season in MLS, and as a special thank you for the great support we have received from our fans, we will be inviting all season ticket holders to join us for the Manchester City match as our guests.”

http://whitecapsfc.com/news/2011/04/whitecaps-fc-host-english-premier-league-club-manchester-city-fc

CretanBull
04-14-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm sure that's a misprint and by "FREE OF CHARGE" what they really mean is "$250 per ticket, we're sorry but it would be impossible to charge anything less". Right? :o

TFC Cityboy
04-14-2011, 01:32 PM
lucky bastards....come on TFC, bring the Blues east!

Whoop
04-14-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm not jealous of a thing. This is damage control for fucking their supporters up the ass. Their supporters section and the debacle with their away tickets for their Portland/Seattle games which last I checked still wasn't resolved. Their owners are corrupt as hell, too.

This.

menefreghista
04-14-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm sure that's a misprint and by "FREE OF CHARGE" what they really mean is "$250 per ticket, we're sorry but it would be impossible to charge anything less". Right? :o

With a $15 'loyalty' discount for season ticket holders of course.

peterboroughtfcfan
04-14-2011, 01:37 PM
This.

That is still better than the damage control MLSE put on after the end of last season.

They get a free City friendly, we got Tom Anselmi and Paul Beirne ducking questions and insulting our intelligence while they tried to placate us with free beer (it worked for me, not for Mario and Steph). At the end of the day we got a price freeze (at awful prices) for one year and a free MLS match vs. an expansion side.

I'd honestly rather a free match vs. a quality premier league side, but that's just me.

Whoop
04-14-2011, 01:41 PM
No mid-season friendlies for me thanks.

But if you want to make it up to me in other ways, I'm all ears.

Alixir
04-14-2011, 01:43 PM
is TFC trying to bring anyone in?Probably Ajax's youth team.

peterboroughtfcfan
04-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Blumpkins for everyone!

Joe Kool
04-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't really care about the friendlies either. Neither team really play their best sides and it ends up being at a time when our team needs the rest for matches that are actually important. I am glad we are not getting any friendlies. I would rather save the money and go watch a team like Man City actually playing in the EPL for a game that matters to them. That's just me anyhow...everyone has their own opinion.

Section 117
04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Who gives a shit anyways. I don't give a rats ass if they played on Mars vs Man u, man city etc...

Fuck Vancouver and their shitty stadium and their dumb ass fans

CretanBull
04-14-2011, 01:54 PM
With a $15 'loyalty' discount for season ticket holders of course.

Of course. It was pretty awesome to see MLSE literally place a value on loyalty...and it was $15 :shocked:

If someone ever asked me to sum up MLSE in one sentence, that might be it.

CretanBull
04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Who gives a shit anyways. I don't give a rats ass if they played on Mars vs Man u, man city etc...

Absolutely!

I don't care about mid-season friendlies or care about anything the shitcaps do, I just can't help but notice how this move exposes all of the BS that was fed to us over the Real Madrid game.

peterboroughtfcfan
04-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Well put.....except that I was at their home opener and their "shitty" temporary stadium is almost a better venue than our permanent one.

I agree their fans blow, but be realistic...Empire Field is a perfect location and a great design. If they were smart they would move out there permanently (with renovations obviously).

Pachuco
04-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Well if this don't prove MLSE are a bunch of cheap bastards then I don't know what will. Some people defended the Real Madrid prices because we had to pay for grass, or we didn't have a big enough stadium like Seattle does to sell the extra tickets. Well, I think this is the nail in the coffin of that argument. I believe there are only 3000 tickets that can be sold to this game since they are giving them free of charge to their season ticket holders. Imagine that, rewarding your season ticket holders. What a concept.

Kooper
04-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Wow that is a good friendly. I have to give Vancouver the edge for this game based on home field advantage.

City hasn't been playing to sold out stadiums all year.

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/City-is-yours.jpg

DichioTFC
04-14-2011, 02:37 PM

+100

MG42
04-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Well if this don't prove MLSE are a bunch of cheap bastards then I don't know what will. Some people defended the Real Madrid prices because we had to pay for grass, or we didn't have a big enough stadium like Seattle does to sell the extra tickets. Well, I think this is the nail in the coffin of that argument. I believe there are only 3000 tickets that can be sold to this game since they are giving them free of charge to their season ticket holders. Imagine that, rewarding your season ticket holders. What a concept.

What, Me Worry?

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/tfc_Beirne.jpg

TFCRegina
04-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Don't give two flying fucks.

Also, TFC better not be playing any friendly.

Detroit_TFC
04-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Wow that is a good friendly. I have to give Vancouver the edge for this game based on home field advantage.

City hasn't been playing to sold out stadiums all year.

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/City-is-yours.jpg

One of the photos is of the visitors section, for fucks sake.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-14-2011, 04:18 PM

agreed 100%

boban
04-14-2011, 08:06 PM
This

Brooker
04-14-2011, 08:29 PM

Have you been following anything that's been going on over there? The Southsiders are disgusted with their FO...

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-14-2011, 08:48 PM
I live friendlies and would like TFC to play, I wouldn't mind a charity match against a lesser light or even a Dichio testimonial against one of his old teams.

boban
04-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Have you been following anything that's been going on over there? The Southsiders are disgusted with their FO...
We've been disgusted with our FO since year 1. But our FO office, in their efforts, decides to stick it up our ass during our big club friendly in '09 with $15 of loyalty while still ramming our asses with $125 tickets.
The Vancouver FO is at least antagonizing it more like ours continually does. Have you not been following that?

Brooker
04-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Real Madrid and Manchester City.... now there's a good comparison. I'll take no free friendly over what Vancouver has done to their fans any day of the week. They've barely been in MLS for what, 3 games? and they're already bending over their fans and one free friendly against Manchester City's academy doesn't make up for it. Not even close.

rocker
04-14-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm glad they're having a friendly. Hopefully they get key players injured like we did against Aston Villa.

John Stamos
04-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Everyone needs to get off the "I hate MLSE" ban wagon because its the only thing I read when there is something that doesnt benifit TFC. We're in a good position this season and they have brought in top management. So what if DeRo didnt get the wage he wanted, if they gave in, every player would be comming asking for more money. Players should be happy with what they got since they signed the contract for that certain amount.

By the way, we got Real Madrid to come to BMO, I'd take that rather then the scum of manchester.

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 07:44 AM
I agree Uncle Jesse...

brad
04-15-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm not a fan of MLSE - but seriously? Comparing the Real Madrid friendly to City?

Madrid are one of, in not the biggest names in not only football, but all of world sport. They were parading around their new signings of the two biggest players in the world at the time - Ronaldo and Kaka. You could make a pretty strong argument at time that Ronaldo was the most famous person in the world as well.

City aren't on that level. City are a smaller EPL club that are gaining stature because of the money they are spending on players.

A much more apt comparison would be to the Villa friendly which MLSE included for free in our first year (a team that finished 6th in the EPL the season after we saw them). Sure, there is not as much star power wow to the Villa squad, but in terms of stature, it's not much different.

Also, we know nothing about City's appearance fee. Madrid's was high, City may be volunteering their time for all we know - they don't need money.

btw - Uncle Jesse - can we get a round of Kokamo?

Cashcleaner
04-15-2011, 09:22 AM

The fact that it's damage control does not negate the fact that the club is at least doing something to make amends with the season ticket holders.

What situation would you rather be in? One where you are taken advantage of but are compensated later, or where you are taken advantage of and tough shit if you don't like it.

Roogsy
04-15-2011, 09:26 AM

This is where your original argument confuses me. The Southsiders are upset with their FO (rightly so) and so the FO almost immediately responds with efforts to make amends. This is bad? WE have been screwed over by TFC for FIVE YEARS (including the Real Madrid BS) and the most we have gotten out of them is a price freeze next year only. So which supporters are getting screwed more?

What amazes me is that we voluntarily continue to fellate this team incessantly despite the continuous advantage they take of all of us.

Roogsy
04-15-2011, 09:29 AM
By the way, we got Real Madrid to come to BMO, I'd take that rather then the scum of manchester.

Yup...did you get to go for free?

brad
04-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Yup...did you get to go for free?

Nope - but we got to see another mid to top of table EPL team for free in our first year.

Phil
04-15-2011, 09:42 AM
This is where your original argument confuses me. The Southsiders are upset with their FO (rightly so) and so the FO almost immediately responds with efforts to make amends. This is bad? WE have been screwed over by TFC for FIVE YEARS (including the Real Madrid BS) and the most we have gotten out of them is a price freeze next year only. So which supporters are getting screwed more?

What amazes me is that we voluntarily continue to fellate this team incessantly despite the continuous advantage they take of all of us.

Hang on....being given a free friendly is good? I thought everyone was against mid season friendlies anyway.

I wish we would stop spinning things to fit agendas.

Roogsy
04-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Hang on....being given a free friendly is good? I thought everyone was against mid season friendlies anyway.

I wish we would stop spinning things to fit agendas.

There's no spinning here. I am still against friendlies. Where did I say it was good? Now who is spinning? I am merely pointing out the difference between bringing in a top team for free and bringing in a top team and charging us $150 for our own seats and saying "we had no choice". Apparently Vancouver had a choice didn't they? And they paid more for their franchise than MLSE did. Way more.

Roogsy
04-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Nope - but we got to see another mid to top of table EPL team for free in our first year.

I was more impressed with Benfica coming in than Villa. Most people in Toronto couldn't tell you what city Villa plays in or a single player on the roster. At least the Portuguese community in Toronto appreciated Benfica's visit. That was the smarter move than Villa...

ManUtd4ever
04-15-2011, 09:51 AM

Yup. I had a blast at the Villa game.

MLSE is far from perfect, but let's not create issues when it's not warranted. There are legitimate issues (ie. TFC ticket prices) to be concerned with rather than to be distracted with Shitecaps envy. Besides, the Southsiders don't seem to be a content group these days, and a free meaningless friendly isn't likely to change that overnight.

Phil
04-15-2011, 09:51 AM
There's no spinning here. I am still against friendlies. Where did I say it was good? Now who is spinning? I am merely pointing out the difference between bringing in a top team for free and bringing in a top team and charging us $150 for our own seats and saying "we had no choice". Apparently Vancouver had a choice didn't they? And they paid more for their franchise than MLSE did. Way more.

I understand the point. But the root of the fiendly being a good thing after all the objections in the past is spin IMO.

You are picking and choosing what you want.

I can agree to disagree though.

Roogsy
04-15-2011, 09:56 AM
You are missing the point Phil. I never said a friendly was good. Vancouver can play all the friendlies they want with top teams or with the drudges of Guatemala, I couldn't care less. What I see though is one FO trying to appeal to the fan through effort (although I agree the type of fan they are trying to appeal to, they have sacrificed their relationship with the supporters in favour of soccer moms, a mistake in my opinion) against an FO that will gladly take our money and ask us to patiently wait while they sort themselves out but in the meantime, hike prices every year until it blew up in their face. Looking back on the last five years, I have seen nothing from TFC FO other than money-generating ideas, nothing to truly show fans they appreciate us.

How am I picking and choosing? That implies I overlook facts. Which facts have I overlooked?

Roogsy
04-15-2011, 09:58 AM
MLSE is far from perfect, but let's not create issues when it's not warranted. There are legitimate issues (ie. TFC ticket prices) to be concerned with rather than to be distracted with Shitecaps envy. Besides, the Southsiders don't seem to be a content group these days, and a free meaningless friendly isn't likely to change that overnight.

Two things here.

1) I agree about the Southsiders and their relationship with the FO. To be honest, we have a better one with our FO which is a plus I have to admit.

2) To say that a comparison when bringing in two top European teams is not a legitimate issue is to intentionally give TFC a pass. Until Vancouver charge their fans $150 to see a top European team, TFC still owns the trophy for being the team that stuck it to it's fans. That's a fact.

brad
04-15-2011, 10:03 AM
2) To say that a comparison when bringing in two top European teams is not a legitimate issue is to intentionally give TFC a pass. Until Vancouver charge their fans $150 to see a top European team, TFC still owns the trophy for being the team that stuck it to it's fans. That's a fact.

Full stop. City is not a top European team. City is a lower table EPL team that has improved rapidly and is pushing to be a top European team. Top European teams win championships and compete in the Champions League.

Madrid are a gloabl brand with worldwide celebrities on the squad. People that know nothing about football were clamoring to get tickets to see Ronaldo. Outside of the folks that actually follow football, City has no cache. Tezez, Silva, Dzeko do not have the pull that Madrid's superstars do.

Apples to oranges.

TorontoGooner
04-15-2011, 10:21 AM
If it's an extra game, why do people want handouts?

Azerban
04-15-2011, 10:37 AM
yeah villa is a much bigger club than man city, i honestly don't know whats going on itt