PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings

Corpand
04-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Frei is a monster. You can see during replays that the defense trust him to some extent and know that if he goes for the ball, he will try his best to collect it. Minimal fumblings in front of goal. Captain or not, he has become quite vocal on the pitch and even more comfortable on the ball.

Cann and Harden played quite well, JPA didn't get much of a sniff at goal most of the times. Barrett was offside a few times, our D knew what line they had to hold. Still I feel Cann needs a better partner to work off from.
Oh and thank god no more Frei to Cann, to Frei, to Harden, back to Frei.....

Tchani, when pressured, made some awkward passes. He saw the player he wanted to pass to but his range was terrible. Second half he held the ball up much better and made a few nice through passes.

JDG, fantastic game. This man has been out for months, barely any pre-season and was reading the game like there's no tomorrow. Seems more confident to out-trick opponents and this formation allows him the freedom to do so.

Martina was double teamed most of the game and under immediate pressure when receiving a pass. Sadly, Dunivant did a good job. You could see Martina was getting more room come second half, but very few options to pass forwards made him revert the passes back to midfield. He needs to dribble and run at defenders, not try to win headers on the sideline.

Steva is not a striker. Slap him on the wing and let him create. He has a fantastic center of balance though, he can keep the ball if he wants to, especially under pressure.

Peterson, good hustle. Read the game quite well a few times. Linkup play with the defense + offense needs to get better though.

Just a few thoughts, what did you guys think of the subs?

TFCREDNWHITE
04-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Gargan sucks! So does harden,

Walms
04-13-2011, 11:00 PM
I was Blown away buy Harden's improvment, our Defence played a much better game than seen sofar

Zavarise played a great match and he was a none stop pain in LA's ass. I think he is going to become a great player for TFC if Winter sticks with him

Corpand
04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
And Peterson's delivery into the box from free kicks, whips the ball in with pace and a great height. I didnt know he could do that.

Whoop
04-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Peterson has impressed me on the set pieces.

Yohan
04-13-2011, 11:49 PM
probably only reason he's going to keep getting play time is that nobody on the squad can do set pieces. a lot of them were really dangerous

burlington Red
04-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Team did okay, had one really good spell in the 1st half where they passed the ball very well. We certainly missed our strikers. Tchani and esp Martina are hugely frustrating at times, but Tchani looks like a player who could over time be a valuable asset. His passing at times and decision making can be poor, but that will improve. Martina is tricky, didn't have a great game last night, looks like he isn't the quickest of wingers. Back line of Cann and Harden- they kept a clean sheet which was good and as expected won pretty much everything in the air, but they will be absolutely killed if we play a team with pacy strikers. An aging Angel and Barrett don't have that explosive pace. Any time I see Cann or Harden with the ball at their feet I panic, they instill no confidence in me, so often Cann resorts to just lumping the ball forward, which in lieu of the fact we had no target man playing last night was kind of reduntant. Probably being a tad critical, on another night we could have nicked that goal at the end and won 1-0 and everything would have been sweet. The crowd last night were very good. Our other 2 home games I thought the crowd was a little subdued esp the supporters sections but last night was very much like season 1 again.
Finally thought our subs last night were very impressive, but a very positive impact, good judgement by Winters

2mil4dero+santo
04-14-2011, 08:07 AM
corpand if ur gonna start a rating thread you have to put some ratings lol...

flamehawk
04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Martina is tricky, didn't have a great game last night, looks like he isn't the quickest of wingers.

Agreed. I like Martina a lot, but he seems fairly indecisive and hesitant. There were a couple counter attacking plays where a quick pass to the centre areas could have result on an opportunity on goal. Instead, he seemed to just slow down, and then lose the ball trying to dribble pass the defender.

He's still young and hopefully with more coaching he can be a little quicker, both physically and mentally.

Pachuco
04-14-2011, 09:38 AM

I have to say, now that Peterson's been taking the free kicks he does seem to put in a good one consistently. This is the first year we've seen someone task Peterson with this.

But Peterson on the wing, running with this head down, crossing the ball to the North and South stands is what I couldn't stand about him when he was a winger. Winter's done the right thing in trying to slot him in the midfield. Only problem is we have too many midfielders who can't attack. With him, Tchani and Deguzman. This is why I still think he needs to be replaced with a more attacking minded midfielder.

Roogsy
04-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I have to say, now that Peterson's been taking the free kicks he does seem to put in a good one consistently. This is the first year we've seen someone task Peterson with this.

But Peterson on the wing, running with this head down, crossing the ball to the North and South stands is what I couldn't stand about him when he was a winger. Winter's done the right thing in trying to slot him in the midfield. Only problem is we have too many midfielders who can't attack. With him, Tchani and Deguzman. This is why I still think he needs to be replaced with a more attacking minded midfielder.

Funny enough, I thought we could have used one of those last night and snuck out with 3 points. Good lord...where to find a good AM in this league?

flamehawk
04-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Ya, and maybe even try him at RB more - at least until we get a proper one. Never been a fan of Peterson, but he didn't seem too bad at that position - much less panic-enducing than Gargan.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Gargan needs to b replaced

prizby
04-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Gargan sucks! So does harden,

pretty sure gargan saved a goal last night...

MKR
04-14-2011, 10:47 AM
honestly, Gargan wasn't bad last night. MUCH better than what we saw in the other games. I don't even like the guy, but to bash him in a thread based on the game played yesterday is not fair. He definitely didn't stand out as a bad player.

jloome
04-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Funny enough, I thought we could have used one of those last night and snuck out with 3 points. Good lord...where to find a good AM in this league?

Really? Will it never end, Roogsy?

Didn't help us the last three times we played LA. Didn't help New York win in their first two games (although helped the salvage a tie).

Specious to assume he would've helped here. Maybe the team doesn't play as fluidly with a ball hog in it, and we lose 1-0.

Everyone loved the production. 15 goals? Awesome. But the past is the past and what's done is done.

Pachuco
04-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Really? Will it never end, Roogsy?

Didn't help us the last three times we played LA. Didn't help New York win in their first two games (although helped the salvage a tie).

Specious to assume he would've helped here. Maybe the team doesn't play as fluidly with a ball hog in it, and we lose 1-0.

Everyone loved the production. 15 goals? Awesome. But the past is the past and what's done is done.

I would argue we have bigger ball hogs on this team now then we did with Dero alone last year. A big problem with our fluidility going forward last night was actually the ball hogs.

levyashin
04-14-2011, 11:08 AM
ratings----Frei;8----Gargan;6-----Cann;9---Borman;7-----Harden;6----Deguzman;6------Tchani;5----Zavarise;6----Peterson;6----Martina;6----Stephanovic;6--------yourowski was the best of the subs ;7

Whoop
04-14-2011, 11:09 AM
I would argue we have bigger ball hogs on this team now then we did with Dero alone last year. A big problem with our fluidility going forward last night was actually the ball hogs.

The only one really is Stevanovic. Though he is getting better at that, he still has to improve.

I keep forgetting he is the youngest guy of the starters.

TFCDP
04-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Cann's defensive play was really good last night, but his ball distribution was terrible for the most part.. Peterson impressed me as well with those set pieces.. I didn't seem to be cursing Harden as much so I guess thats a good thing.. Gargan had his best game of the year..

Best players.. Frei and JDG

prizby
04-14-2011, 12:27 PM

The only one really is Stevanovic. Though he is getting better at that, he still has to improve.

I keep forgetting he is the youngest guy of the starters.

while it seems he may "hog" the ball, he doesn't make blind runs into the middle of nowhere, he keeps control of the ball better than DeRo, and his head is always up looking for someone to make a run down the wing or into some open space. He cuts with the ball really well and when he is running or jogging with the ball and it looks like its too far away from him and he is about to turn the ball over to a defender, he is able to still hang onto the ball and put himself between the ball and defender and protect it (and it this happened several times last night)

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2011, 12:39 PM
If I was to evaluate the current roster based on the first 5 games of the season, it is fair to conclude that Winter and Mariner have done an admirable job building the club in relatively short time frame, considering the mess that they inherited. I think 9 of the 11 roster positions are fairly solid, with RB and AM being the only glaring areas of weakness.

G- Frei, Kocic

RB- Gargan, Omphroy

CB- Cann, Harden, Nana, Williams

LB- Borman, Yourassowsky, Morgan

DM- JDG, Tchani, Peterson, Sturgis, Bouchiba

AM- Santos, Cordon

LF- Stevanovic, Zavarise, Plata

CF- Gordon, Santos

RF- Martina, Soolsma

torontocelt
04-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Frei is a monster. You can see during replays that the defense trust him to some extent and know that if he goes for the ball, he will try his best to collect it. Minimal fumblings in front of goal. Captain or not, he has become quite vocal on the pitch and even more comfortable on the ball.

Cann and Harden played quite well, JPA didn't get much of a sniff at goal most of the times. Barrett was offside a few times, our D knew what line they had to hold. Still I feel Cann needs a better partner to work off from.
Oh and thank god no more Frei to Cann, to Frei, to Harden, back to Frei.....

Tchani, when pressured, made some awkward passes. He saw the player he wanted to pass to but his range was terrible. Second half he held the ball up much better and made a few nice through passes.

JDG, fantastic game. This man has been out for months, barely any pre-season and was reading the game like there's no tomorrow. Seems more confident to out-trick opponents and this formation allows him the freedom to do so.

Martina was double teamed most of the game and under immediate pressure when receiving a pass. Sadly, Dunivant did a good job. You could see Martina was getting more room come second half, but very few options to pass forwards made him revert the passes back to midfield. He needs to dribble and run at defenders, not try to win headers on the sideline.

Steva is not a striker. Slap him on the wing and let him create. He has a fantastic center of balance though, he can keep the ball if he wants to, especially under pressure.

Peterson, good hustle. Read the game quite well a few times. Linkup play with the defense + offense needs to get better though.

Just a few thoughts, what did you guys think of the subs?

Peterson's delvery on all but one attempt was poor, he really screwed up a lot of our chances with poor delvery. He did put in one cracking ball though but we sould have other players who can step in if he is consistently making mistakes which he was.

DangerRed
04-14-2011, 01:04 PM

What's funny enough is that you're still talking about this.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-14-2011, 04:24 PM
honestly, Gargan wasn't bad last night. MUCH better than what we saw in the other games. I don't even like the guy, but to bash him in a thread based on the game played yesterday is not fair. He definitely didn't stand out as a bad player.

Based on last night!.....trust me I'm not basing it on last night alone! The guy is a nice person but for god sakes guys, you have to raise your standards! If you want to have a world class team that competes at our league and all cup competitions then his position needs to be upgraded.

prizby
04-14-2011, 04:55 PM
If I was to evaluate the current roster based on the first 5 games of the season, it is fair to conclude that Winter and Mariner have done an admirable job building the club in relatively short time frame, considering the mess that they inherited. I think 9 of the 11 roster positions are fairly solid, with RB and AM being the only glaring areas of weakness.

G- Frei, Kocic

RB- Gargan, Omphroy

CB- Cann, Harden, Nana, Williams

LB- Borman, Yourassowsky, Morgan

DM- JDG, Tchani, Peterson, Sturgis, Bouchiba

AM- Santos, Cordon

LF- Stevanovic, Zavarise, Plata

CF- Gordon, Santos

RF- Martina, Soolsma

so umm we going to be playing with 10 on the pitch...btw Cordon played the DM position when he was substituted and many of these players are capable of playing other positions.

prizby
04-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Based on last night!.....trust me I'm not basing it on last night alone! The guy is a nice person but for god sakes guys, you have to raise your standards! If you want to have a world class team that competes at our league and all cup competitions then his position needs to be upgraded.

if you want to have a world class team, get rid of the salary cap

gargan as he learns the system will get better, last night was a good example

Davenport
04-14-2011, 05:11 PM
ratings----Frei;8----Gargan;6-----Cann;9---Borman;7-----Harden;6----Deguzman;6------Tchani;5----Zavarise;6----Peterson;6----Martina;6----Stephanovic;6--------yourowski was the best of the subs ;7

Rose coloured specs or what ?

Frei 6 Didn't have too many saves to make. Caught out of position a few times with crosses from Beckham
Gargan 2 Not good enough
Cann 5 Can defend but can't play with the ball
Boorman 4 Average
Harden 2 A liability. Just can't play
JDG 5 Not doing enough for the stupid money he's on
Tchani 4 Tall, slow, gives the ball away.
Zavarise 2 Pathetic
Peterson 4 Good free-kicks but lacks quality in open play
Martina 4 A poor night
Stefanovic 3 Selfish, dives, moans
Sub -Yourrowski 5 Promising
Sub -Others 3 Small, quick, not very good

nimamalek
04-14-2011, 05:23 PM
wow thats surprising, I think Tchani has been one of their best players so far. He is a beast in midfield, can get past players and passes better than Robinson ever did.

prizby
04-14-2011, 05:29 PM

Frei 6 Didn't have too many saves to make. Caught out of position a few times with crosses from Beckham
Gargan 2 Not good enough
Boorman 4 Average
Zavarise 2 Pathetic
Martina 4 A poor night

did you not watch the game?

Frei 45 seconds in...
Gargan, how about that goal saving play around the 70th minute
Zavarise, had one of the better scoring opportunities
Others - had the other good scoring opportunity

i mean this could go on...u must be drunk

Davenport
04-14-2011, 05:47 PM
did you not watch the game?

Frei 45 seconds in...
Gargan, how about that goal saving play around the 70th minute
Zavarise, had one of the better scoring opportunities
Others - had the other good scoring opportunity

i mean this could go on...u must be drunk

Frei - made a good save...I gave him a 6.
Gargan, for once in the right place at the right time. Besides that he was awful.
Zavarise - and what did he do with it ? Very weak. Not a striker.

Not drunk a drop...yet.

Heathen
04-14-2011, 06:41 PM

Gargan 2 Not good enough
Boorman 4 Average
Zavarise 2 Pathetic
Martina 4 A poor night

Yeah Tchani really needs to work on that, maybe Plata can help him out

John Stamos
04-15-2011, 07:54 AM
I think we have enough players to have a solid team. I think if we played a (4-2-3-1) it would give our game more pace on the wings, and also have enough solid players in the middle to win and keep position. The formation is very tactical like how the Dutch like to play (Aron Winter) and there is also enough young players in the team so we can grow and get better as the games go on. Please tell me what you think!

Santos (c)

Plata Stevanovic Martina

Tchani De Guzman (ac)

Yourassowsky Cann Attakora D.Omphroy

Frei (GK)

Subs:

-Doneil Henry (DEF)
-Oscar Cordon (MID)
-Nicolas Lidnsay (STR)
-Dan Gargan (DEF)
- Kocici (GK)

MKR
04-15-2011, 10:04 AM

yeah i don't disagree (as i said i'm not a fan of his), but we're talking within the context of a thread about his performance in yesterday's game alone. The whole point is to keep it specific to the one game. I'll say it again: Gargan was OK... not bad... passable... sorta pretty goodish. :)

burlington Red
04-15-2011, 10:09 PM
wow thats surprising, I think Tchani has been one of their best players so far. He is a beast in midfield, can get past players and passes better than Robinson ever did.

wow, gotta disagree with that big time. Tchani will get better, of that I have no doubt, but right now he is just potential, he has good points but so many bad ones as well just now. Robbo was the finished article and if Tchani develops into half the player he was, he'll be good'un.

burlington Red
04-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Not a Gargan fan by any means, but he played a hell of a lot better than he is getting credit for, seems he going to be the scapegoat for a lot of our issues this year

burlington Red
04-15-2011, 10:20 PM

Gargan 2 Not good enough
Boorman 4 Average
Zavarise 2 Pathetic
Martina 4 A poor night

The general consensus was that JGD had a good game, also take into consideration he is nowhere near match fit due to being out so long with injury. Looks like he is finally ready to deliver.
I'd like to know what you'd like to see him do more, a huge percentage of our attacks started with him taking the ball direct from Frei and starting our moves, directing play, making tackles.
People are pre-occupied with the DP aspect of his contract, we knew what he was before he came (watch any national game), he is a tidy defensive midfield player, he isn't a huge name DP like Beckham or an Henry, but what he has on those guys is age, and I feel he is ready to blossom this season and for many to come. Every team needs a midfield general, and this one when he starts to deliver on a consistent basis will be a player to cherish.

Maltese Falcon
04-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Nice to have someone who's 6'4" in mid

Maltese Falcon
04-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Not a Gargan fan by any means, but he played a hell of a lot better than he is getting credit for, seems he going to be the scapegoat for a lot of our issues this year
This is Toronto...we always have to have at least one. However, in reality hes a bench/utility player and up until last game hes deserved the criticism.