PDA

View Full Version : Post Game: LA @ TFC. Time to Repaint the Woodwork

Pages : [1] 2

Batman
04-13-2011, 09:04 PM
hard fought draw but I think LA should have had it.

ag futbol
04-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Well .. one more point than i think we deserved.

Certain aspects of our "total football" are undoubtedly broken.

TFCRegina
hard fought draw but I think LA should have had it.

Same with Chad Barrett, unless you're producing the result, you're not.

You create your own luck. If you're unlucky not to win, it's your own fault.

I'll take the draw and am looking forward to playing some Eastern Conference sides.

kaos197O
Undefeated in 4. WOW! I never would have predicted this!

DichioTFC
fair result. the reds are undefeated in their past four. looking forward to DCU on Saturday, could be 3 points

ArmenJBX
04-13-2011, 09:09 PM
A 0-0 draw (almost tradition) and the first defensively sound performance, against what is arguably the strongest side in MLS.

I'll take it :D

twistedchinaman
04-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Okay effort...but yeah, if Neveronsong Barrett was a bit lower then they would've won.

But then again, it's Barrett. So what was LA expecting?

BayernTFC

This "total football" reminds me a lot of Preki ball. If it isn't for Frei and the posts, LA gets the 3 points they deserved.

Dub Narcotic

TFC need that front man to link play. Also, TFC have no real answer when people pressure Cann, Harden and Gargan. TFC didn't have a great game, but they shut down Angel well and rode their luck a bit. JDG looked good while he was in, as well.

LucaGol
04-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Frei ... 7.5
Gargan .... 5
Cann .... 6.5
Harden ... 6
Borman ... 5.5
Peterson ... 5.5
Tchani ... 5
De Guzman ... 7
Stevanovic ... 6
Martina .... 4.5
Zavarise ... 5.5

Goal post ... 10

Overall, poor game, not much build-up, too many long balls, not enough chances ... woodwork saved us.

Point was lucky.

flamehawk
04-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Good point.

We're up to 2nd place in the conference :p

dupont
04-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Goal post played awesome tonight! He could be ready for his breakout season!

kaos197O
04-13-2011, 09:13 PM
This "total football" reminds me a lot of Preki ball. If it isn't for Frei and the posts, LA gets the 3 points they deserved.
LOL. at times it sure did resemble much of what we saw from Preki. Will be interesting to hear Winter's post game comments!

Kc17
They outplayed us in the first half, we outplayed them in the 2nd half. They had the better clear chances, but you could argue we deserved that point.

If we can manage to grab 3 from DCU on Saturday we'd be looking very nice.

ag futbol
TFC need that front man to link play. Also, TFC have no real answer when people pressure Cann, Harden and Gargan. TFC didn't have a great game, but they shut down Angel well and rode their luck a bit. JDG looked good while he was in, as well.
Yeah ... I really think 3/4 of the back-line need to be replaced with better defenders and they must find players who are better on the ball.

sashavukelich
^^^ Yeah, we are tied for 2nd in the East, that's crazy! well done guys, i think without Gordon/Maicon and so many players out of place, we did....ok, against the Shield Holders.

No shame guys, our next game is a big deal lets get a W.

BayernTFC
Goal post played awesome tonight! He could be ready for his breakout season!
Yep. Him and Gonzalez's whiff fought over man of the match.

Mark TFC
I thought it was a very good performance by our boys. We grew more confident as the game progressed and even though LA hit the woodwork a few times I think we he had a couple good chances of our own.

twistedchinaman
04-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Good point.

We're up to 2nd place in the conference :p

I noticed you have South China on your avatar...finally, another one who is a Caroliner! :)

ochos
04-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Cann was a monster defensively, but his weaknesses show that if we want to play this system we need him paired with a more skilled CB. And it certainly isn't Harden, nor Nana unfortunately.

Wasn't happy with the starting xi but glad Winter got to get players some time. Bad performance but good result against a better team.

Bring on the next game. Hopefully we don't lose fringe fans because of this game as it was painful to watch sometimes.. and there were a lot of fringe fans at the game

dupont
04-13-2011, 09:16 PM
One positive is the DeGuzman is looking very good since he's been back. Hopefully he can play the full 90 soon

Dub Narcotic
04-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Saw the Timbers signed a Colombian international DP attacking midfielder. Ah, if only TFC knew where South America was.

flamehawk
04-13-2011, 09:20 PM
I noticed you have South China on your avatar...finally, another one who is a Caroliner! :)

Hell ya, Hong Kong born and bred!

Dub Narcotic
04-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Winter post-game:

'Good result' 'Good result cause Gordon was out'. 'Nana is having difficult situation, not playing well in pre-season, his time is coming'.

DichioTFC
04-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Toronto attackers need to start shooting from distance. It'll force opposing defenders to come out more, and our speedy attacking wingers will be able to latch on to killer balls.

DOMIN8R
04-13-2011, 09:25 PM
JDG keeps improving, they double teamed Martina (2nd game this has happened) and it speaks volumes that the team played the whole pitch. There was flashes of quality everywhere. And yes, the woodwork should have won man of the match.

Dub Narcotic
04-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Winter post-game

'Hope slow start is not a trend' 'Got lucky they did not score' 'JDG was tired when he came off, didn't want to risk him' 'Beckham is still good player'

twistedchinaman
04-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Hell ya, Hong Kong born and bred!

Nice! Me too...been here almost 20 years. :)

ANYWAY...back to game. Reds hurt by loss of some people from SJE lineup as well -- discuss.

LucaGol
04-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Saw the Timbers signed a Colombian international DP attacking midfielder. Ah, if only TFC knew where South America was.

We don't need DPs were rebuilding. :rolleyes:

Ossington Mental Youth
04-13-2011, 09:28 PM
wow people are harsh on this time, we had some poor moments but i dont think we did too bad. Stevanovic and JDG were great (as was Frei as per usual)

DOMIN8R
04-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Also, still too much miscommunication, particularly on runs forward, but we're making progress.

RPB73
04-13-2011, 09:30 PM
L.A is the better team and deserved the 3 points . But we got the result one we might not have expected . The positive side is that the team is improving seems to be more organized even with players out of position . What I like best is that they are trying to pass the ball and build up from the back . Give it a while and I feel that this rebuilding year might be the best one yet .

Ossington Mental Youth
04-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Toronto attackers need to start shooting from distance. It'll force opposing defenders to come out more, and our speedy attacking wingers will be able to latch on to killer balls.

agreed, this seems to have been a problem forever

Detroit_TFC
04-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Some players did better than their typical performances and some not as good. We got some lucky breaks from the woodwork and some raw deals from the ref. It was a mixed bag.

If the guys aren't too tired, I think we can get the win against DCU.

DichioTFC
04-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Also, still too much miscommunication, particularly on runs forward, but we're making progress.

I agree, progress has been made. More progress needs to be made. I think we're only going to get better from here.

Batman
04-13-2011, 09:34 PM
L.A is the better team and deserved the 3 points . But we got the result one we might not have expected . The positive side is that the team is improving seems to be more organized even with players out of position . What I like best is that they are trying to pass the ball and build up from the back . Give it a while and I feel that this rebuilding year might be the best one yet .

Yep...and after all the doom and gloom around here, we're unbeaten in 4 and TIE for 2nd place in the East!:scarf:

ag futbol
04-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah i certainly see no need to panic. Clearly, we're not there yet or even half way through the rebuilding process.

I can certainly appreciate us pulling a point out of our ass while we're not playing well though. Some solid form should show up eventually.

Dub Narcotic
04-13-2011, 09:38 PM

Ya, the final stats weren't as lopsided as the game sometimes seemed. Possession was even and Toronto had more corners. It's a mix of the good and bad right now. They really need to get a win against DCU this weekend, though.

On a different note, I really like the Fan 590 guy who does the Gol TV postgame, he really has some good insights.

DOMIN8R
04-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Hold on. Let's not forget that this is the MLS. We need to *win* at home. Wins and knots on the road are uncommon in a league built for parity. So let's now get ahead of ourselves.

DichioTFC
04-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Yep...and after all the doom and gloom around here, we're unbeaten in 4 and TIE for 2nd place in the East!:scarf:
http://i55.tinypic.com/18j6hf.png

Damn right. It's still early, but that's a good sign :)

boozilla
04-13-2011, 09:43 PM
I like this point.
Hard fought tie. Cann played well again. Welcome back, Gargan.

Bars92
04-13-2011, 09:45 PM
We would have scored with Gordon and/or Santos in the lineup. Take the point for sure. Overall i think its a bit early to comparing this to Preki-ball.

Pookie
04-13-2011, 09:47 PM
People talk about LA's posts, what about our 2 headers that ended up directly at the Keeper? Both sides had near misses where inches would have made the difference.

Decent result considering all the circumstances.

Gargan and Cann were pretty solid. Peterson continues to provide excellent service.

Yourassowsky had me raising my eyebrows wondering what he can do over a full 90, you know, when he isn't suspended or benched for being suspended.

LucaGol
04-13-2011, 09:50 PM
People's satisfaction with being 2nd place in the East with an extra game played is a little funny.

That's akin to a cyclist being glad he's leading a Tour de France stage 1 km into a 200 km race.

Pookie
04-13-2011, 09:53 PM
People's satisfaction with being 2nd place in the East with an extra game played is a little funny.

That's akin to a cyclist being glad he's leading a Tour de France stage 1 km into a 200 km race.

In fairness, most folks predicted we wouldn't even have our tires inflated for the race.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-13-2011, 09:55 PM
its also the promise being showed in these games

ag futbol
04-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Watching that replay of stevanovic getting hacked out and Barrett almost scoring .. wow just wow. How can a ref miss something so blatantly obvious?

Ossington Mental Youth
04-13-2011, 09:56 PM
pretty fucking mindboggling isnt it

Ossington Mental Youth
04-13-2011, 09:56 PM
i think that ldelayed yellow/red for juninho was a result of that

bigtfcfan
04-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Mista would have done very well on this team? I think he wasn't given ample opportunity...

DichioTFC
04-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Week 1: Gargan--Nana--Harden--Cann
Week 2: Gargan--Cann--Harden--Yourass
Week 3: Borman--Nana (Dicoy '76)--Cann--Harden
Week 4: Harden--Nana (subbed out '46)--Cann--Borman
Week 5: Gargan--Harden--Cann--Borman

Winter is still experimenting with the back four. When we have a constant starting four, we'll be more solid in the back.

I would like to see for the DCU match:
Nana--Harden--Cann--Borman

Dub Narcotic
04-13-2011, 09:58 PM
It's Called Football doing a live postgame right now. They are pretty positive about the game.

DichioTFC
04-13-2011, 09:59 PM

I dont think anyone's "satisfied", but it is a sign of optimism. Supporters were ready to write-off the season and power rankings have us near the basement right now. We still need to win a couple matches, but when was the last time Toronto has been 2nd in the East?

DichioTFC
04-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Mista would have done very well on this team? I think he wasn't given ample opportunity...

Yes.

v00d00daddy
04-13-2011, 10:00 PM

That's because Preki ball is the proper way to play football IF....
your defensive play leads to offensive chances.

We're not there yet.

Hopefully we'll get there.

Detroit_TFC
04-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Week 1: Gargan--Nana--Harden--Cann
Week 2: Gargan--Cann--Harden--Yourass
Week 4: Harden--Nana (subbed out '46)--Cann--Borman
Week 5: Gargan--Harden--Cann--Borman

Winter is still experimenting with the back four. When we have a constant starting four, we'll be more solid in the back.

I would like to see for the DCU match:
Nana--Harden--Cann--Borman

Replace Harden with Dicoy Williams - otherwise, that's the back line I'd like to see.

DichioTFC
04-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Replace Harden with Dicoy Williams - otherwise, that's the back line I'd like to see.

Agreed, but I think Winter likes Harden.

We could have this:
Harden--Dicoy--Cann--Borman

twistedchinaman
04-13-2011, 10:12 PM

Has Williams even seen the pitch yet?

DichioTFC
04-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Has Williams even seen the pitch yet?

Those 14 minutes have been it so far, but he showed composure and was well positioned while the other team was pressing.

denime
04-13-2011, 10:16 PM

We don't need DPs were rebuilding. :rolleyes:

If you were a RPB members and able to see members forum you would know a very interesting news regarding TFC and S.America. :wink:

twistedchinaman
04-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Those 14 minutes have been it so far, but he showed composure and was well positioned while the other team was pressing.

Well, we got him for a reason...so why not give him a bit more, is what I'd ask.

Bars92
04-13-2011, 10:18 PM

Yeah we have no strikers now.

backbeat
04-13-2011, 10:21 PM
just back from the game - what's up with Santos and Gordon??

DichioTFC
04-13-2011, 10:23 PM
just back from the game - what's up with Santos and Gordon??

Santos was sick and Gordon has a light hamstring problem or something. Gordon will be ready to play on Saturday.

denime
04-13-2011, 10:24 PM
We need a very good AM,someone who can help transition from defense to offense,this is where we suck right now.
It takes to long for us to bring the ball up front.

TFC1154ever
Am I the only person here who really likes yourassowsky? I think he is a very good Fullback and was FLYING down the left side of the pitch when he came on

DichioTFC
Well, we got him for a reason...so why not give him a bit more, is what I'd ask.

Agreed. He seems similar to Cann, a bit slow but solid, strong and a very good defender.

MartinUtd
04-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Wow there are some real Debbie downers here. LA looked shit and save for a few individual efforts they got the what they deserved in a single point. Same goes for TFC. We possessed the ball well but it's still painfully clear the team doesn't know how to communicate amongst themselves yet. Oh yeah and we need a proper striker...badly.

DichioTFC
04-13-2011, 10:26 PM
We need a very good AM,someone who can help transition from defense to offense,this is where we suck right now.

I wouldn't mind seeing JDG up as an attacking mid and seeing how it goes. Sturgis and Tchani could fill the void as DMs in a 4-2-3-1

ag futbol
04-13-2011, 10:26 PM
If you were a RPB members and able to see members forum you would know a very interesting news regarding TFC and S.America. :wink:
Ha I found it! you can't hide from us in the members forum!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/18/toronto-fc-south-america.html

:skep:

denime
04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Stevanovic must play on the left side,middle is to crowded for him.
Last game he was excellent with Borman,I would like to see how Yourassovski and Stevanovic would work on left side.

MartinUtd
04-13-2011, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing JDG up as an attacking mid and seeing how it goes. Sturgis and Tchani could fill the void as DMs in a 4-2-3-1

Maybe if he could hit the side of a barn on a calm day. I'd prefer to keep him disrupting plays and finding that first pass on the counter.

greatwhitenorf
04-13-2011, 10:28 PM
A little surprised to see Borman start at LB(fixed), but liked his overlapping runs on attack, especially after Yourassovsky subbed in for JDG, taking LM. Ball didn't always find him, but we're seeing some depth and adaptability forming on left side which will eventually benefit Martina, spread the service for Santos and Gordon.

Thought Tchani brought his game up a notch, starting to get comfortable with the ball at his feet. Gordon and Santos on board might have tipped the scales in the second half.

Thought the reffing was well off the mark. No judgement in playing advantage on some occasions, blew up in stoppage at least 90 seconds too soon while we were pressing.

Stevanovic has great touch and very bold on attacking runs, just needs to use teammates better.

Very watchable game, decent result.

denime
04-13-2011, 10:29 PM

DAMN,news is out already. :sad:

MartinUtd
04-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Stevanovic must play on the left side,middle is to crowded for him.
Last game he was excellent with Borman,I would like to see how Yourassovski and Stevanovic would work on left side.

Weren't they both together on the left that day he got sent off? I remember some really nice overlapping runs..something that seems so foreign live and in person.

denime
04-13-2011, 10:31 PM
A little surprised to see Borman start at RB, but liked his overlapping runs on attack, especially after Yourassovsky subbed in for JDG, taking LM. Ball didn't always find him, but we're seeing some depth and adaptability forming on left side which will eventually benefit Martina, spread the service for Santos and Gordon.

Thought Tchani brought his game up a notch, starting to get comfortable with the ball at his feet. Gordon and Santos on board might have tipped the scales in the second half.

Thought the reffing was well off the mark. No judgement in playing advantage on some occasions, blew up in stoppage at least 90 seconds too soon while we were pressing.

Stevanovic has great touch and very bold on attacking runs, just needs to use teammates better.

Very watchable game, decent result.

I don't know what game did you watch but Borman played whole game as LB,and Gargan was RB.

greatwhitenorf
04-13-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't know what game did you watch but Borman played whole game as LB,and Gargan was RB.

corrected. can't see scrreen prplerly thrugh beerr glass bottm.

ManUtd4ever
04-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Well, that was an uneventful 90 minutes of football, but I'll take the point considering the patchwork lineup that was deployed. Without Gordon and Santos available, there was a gaping hole up front but I thought the forwards did a decent job of pressing forward in the second half.

Frei, Cann, and JDG were solid tonight. Stevanovic was alright but has been more effective on the wing. Martina had an off night, while Yourassowsky, Cordon, and Plata were creative in the offensive third during their limited minutes.

Neither club was impressive tonight, and perhaps the short rest had an impact. In any case, TFC will have to be better to earn a result on the weekend, and the return of Gordon and Santos will be most welcome against DC United.

DangerRed
04-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Just got back from the ground. We should have lost, many times over. Barrett hit the bar, Becks hit the post, and there was a primo goal opportunity squandered by LA in the 3rd minute. We, on the other hand, had virtually nothing aside from the Zavarise header in the first.

Great to have the point out of this, and glad Winter rested Santos and Gordon entirely.

My biggest negative of the game, aside from the usual defensive blunders and lack of any kind of quality from Tchani (willing to forgive, everyone has a bad game once in a while) is the fact that it's pretty clear we have two ball hogs on the squad.

Both Martina and Stevanovic simply don't like passing very much. Both are enormously talented, but they need to share. We could've had a couple more chances and perhaps even a goal if both had passed instead of taking another touch to attempt to get around a defender, only to get stripped.

Looking forward to Saturday, which Winter seems to be viewing as an easy win.

If we lose, that's two points out of possible nine. That's dismal. A draw is nearly as awful. We really need to win, and soon.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Yourassowsky looked great too, nice to see (so far) whatever position hes thrown into he looks good.
Gotta agree i prefer Stevanovic on the wing, and Martina didnt have the best of halves in the second.
Do hope we see either an attacking mid ro a striker (both?!) coming in.

Jack
04-13-2011, 10:49 PM
I saw quite a few positives tonight.

JDG is going to be a monster for us this season.

Yourassowsky looks good and so does Borman. I'd we could get our right side as settled as our left, we'll be in good shape. Poor Martina having to rely on Gargan doesn't give him much to work with.

Stevanovic is a beast. He needs to build some trust and look for his teammates more, then I think we'll see some highlight reel stuff from him. I liked Tchani getting more forward today. When he gets better timing on his passes with Martina and Stevanovic, it will help.

We need our centre forward.Stevanovic wasn't as effective there. Cann was solid, but we sure could use some right-sided wingbacks. Gargan tries, but he doesn't have the ability to play this system. Peterson is adapting pretty well a d is looking stronger now that JDG is back.

We are pretty desperate for a forward or two. Playing a winger in the middle won't cut it. It's amazing how a role-player like Gordon bcomes a key piece.

jloome
04-13-2011, 10:50 PM

Ok, whatever. They had seven shots, 1 on. We had five, three on.

They hit the post three times. We had two direct, point-blank headers that basically hit their keeper.

They had 8% more possession.

Neither side deserved the point, but they certainly didn't deserve all three.

And if it reminds you of preki ball, I'd buy a TIVO. This looks almost nothing like preki-ball, which was played 60% of the time in our end, with 10 men behind the ball.

Damn, the cynicism on here knows no bounds sometimes. How does two poor teams somehow equal "they deserved to win."

Shit that doesn't count -- like hitting posts -- isn't of any more value than missing six feet wide. Chad Barrett still can't hit the open part of the big net, and LA didn't deserve to win shit.

TFCRegina
04-13-2011, 10:50 PM

It's almost like we need that 30-something year old Canadian attacking midfielder who has been one of the best players ever to play in MLS and just had two career years. What's that guy's name again?

jloome
04-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Wow there are some real Debbie downers here. LA looked shit and save for a few individual efforts they got the what they deserved in a single point. Same goes for TFC. We possessed the ball well but it's still painfully clear the team doesn't know how to communicate amongst themselves yet. Oh yeah and we need a proper striker...badly.

Absolutely. Fucking negativity here is boundless.

TFCRegina
04-13-2011, 10:52 PM

They hit the post three times. We had two direct, point-blank headers that basically hit their keeper.

And if it reminds you of preki ball, I'd buy a TIVO. This looks almost nothing like preki-ball, which was played 60% of the time in our end, with 10 men behind the ball.

Damn, the cynicism on here knows no bounds sometimes. How does two poor teams somehow equal "they deserved to win."

Shit that doesn't count -- like hitting posts -- isn't of any more value than missing six feet wide. Chad Barrett still can't hit the open part of the big net, and LA didn't deserve to win shit.

More or less accurate.

As I said on the first page. LA didn't deserve shit. They weren't unlucky. They just weren't skilled enough. Neither were we.

But it wasn't luck. Good teams, good players create their own luck. LA wasn't good tonight, and Barrett has never been good.

TFCRegina
04-13-2011, 10:54 PM

Just about had a heart attack when I saw the evil ginger.

Jack
04-13-2011, 10:56 PM
It's almost like we need that 30-something year old Canadian attacking midfielder who has been one of the best players ever to play in MLS and just had two career years. What's that guy's name again?

Actually, he's probably not enough of a two-way player to fill that role in our system. We need more of an Amado Guevara type than a DeRo type. Don't get me wrong, he'd do it a hell of a lot better than Maicon, but in a 3-man midfield, your attacking mid needs to be box to box, not midline to goalline, which is what DeRo is.

ManUtd4ever
04-13-2011, 10:56 PM

I wish DeRo was still with the club as well but let it go already. Let's not forget that our defensive midfield and fullback positions are much stronger now as a result of the trade. At least TFC has something to show for it considering the fact that DeRo wanted out of town.

TFCRegina
04-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I wish DeRo was still with the club as well but let it go already. Let's not forget that our defensive midfield and fullback positions are much stronger now as result of the trade. At least TFC has something to show for it considering that DeRo wanted out of town.

If people are going to bitch about us lacking a solid Attacking Midfielder, I'm going to bitch about them cheering trading him away. Fairs fair. Otherwise, stop bitching about us missing an Attacking Midfielder.

People were so fucking happy to see him go, maybe they should have been a little more levelheaded.

Jack
04-13-2011, 11:02 PM
If people are going to bitch about us lacking a solid Attacking Midfielder, I'm going to bitch about them cheering trading him away. Fairs fair. Otherwise, stop bitching about us missing an Attacking Midfielder.

People were so fucking happy to see him go, maybe they should have been a little more levelheaded.

I am just analyzing it from a purely tactical perspective here. I'd take him there in a heartbeat, but it's not a reality anymore. He's gone and we got a decent trade for him. Time to look to the future with what we have and what we can get, not what could have been.

rocker
04-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Two points:

I'd like to praise Zavarise for his play tonight. He's a very tidy player. He could probably start. But if he's a backup on this team, we've got good depth at that position.

Juan Pablo Angel was invisible.

Jack
04-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Two points:

I'd like to praise Zavarise for his play tonight. He's a very tidy player.

Juan Pablo Angel was invisible.

Zavarise was solid, though I felt he sometimes was in the wrong place.

Angel's boots were sure visible! What's with the damn neon?

TFCRegina
04-13-2011, 11:04 PM
I am just analyzing it from a purely tactical perspective here. I'd take him there in a heartbeat, but it's not a reality anymore. He's gone and we got a decent trade for him. Time to look to the future with what we have and what we can get, not what could have been.

No offense Jack, but if we don't need to talk about what we lost in De Ro, then we don't need to talk about what we lost in Guevara either, an even older midfielder, who played with less heart than De Ro ever did.

Oldtimer
04-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I can't believe some of what I am reading on here.

This was not prekiball. Rather, the team was forced into a defensive shell by LA's attacking style. There is a huge difference, and the game was much more attacking and free-flowing than one would have seen last year.

I found the match thoroughly entertaining. 1 point is a decent result given that TFC has hardly had time to bond (I saw a number of misread plays), was missing their strike force, and LA has had it's core together for some time now. LA is a very good team, many expect them to win the conference this year. Beckham was a real threat (it looks like he cares this year, now that he's no longer on the England team), and LA was good at applying immense pressure.

I expect TFC will do better against lesser teams, especially when we get Gordon back, and to continue to improve as the season goes on.

Whoop
04-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Jack was just pointing out that an Amado type would fit the system better than a DeRo type.

Fair analysis.

bman27
04-13-2011, 11:09 PM
just got in after my first time in 112, but im going to wait till the morning to provide any incite because i have i just cant get enough stuck in my head lol

Whoop
04-13-2011, 11:10 PM
I can't believe some of what I am reading on here.

This was not prekiball. Rather, the team was forced into a defensive shell by LA's attacking style. There is a huge difference, and the game was much more attacking and free-flowing than one would have seen last year.

I found the match thoroughly entertaining. 1 point is a decent result given that TFC has hardly had time to bond (I saw a number of misread plays), was missing their strike force, and LA has had it's core together for some time now. LA is a very good team, many expect them to win the conference this year. Beckham was a real threat (it looks like he cares this year, now that he's no longer on the England team), and LA was good at applying immense pressure.

I expect TFC will do better against lesser teams, especially when we get Gordon back, and to continue to improve as the season goes on.

No OT... the team is going to plateau and stagnate from now on.

I've seen more fluid play from TFC in a couple of weeks than I've seen in years combined.

Can't comment on the 2nd as I didn't most of it... but there was some nice ball movement in the 1st.

Jack
04-13-2011, 11:10 PM
No offense Jack, but if we don't need to talk about what we lost in De Ro, then we don't need to talk about what we lost in Guevara either, an even older midfielder, who played with less heart than De Ro ever did.

I am not talking about what we lost. I don't want Amado back, but I do think a player in a similar mould would fit our system quite well.

As for DeRo, I am well aware of what we lost, warts and all. But the players we got in return, both of whom are good and young, certainly help mitigate the sting of the loss.

Pachuco
04-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Honestly, having watched LA so far this season, this is exactly how they've looked all season. Juan Pablo being completely invisible when he's played, Barrett fucking it up and Donovan missing in action. I'm not particularly impressed with this result because this was a beatable team and we were playing at home. If we can't beat the Chivas' of this world, and we can't beat LA at their worst then I'm not sure who we are going to beat.

I was personally extremely frustrated by some of the running with the ball that went on with head down. Some of the players on this team would rather deake out 8 players then make an easy pass and it can be frustrating to watch. The passing tonight was also pretty bad which just added to my frustration.

Just one of those games where I honestly felt bored. I think it took the crowd out of the game as well until the end of the game when it came alive.

I don't think the sky is falling, I'm not discusted with the team, but I'm certainly frustrated.

We need a big game against DC United on saturday. If we don't get a result then it will make these results look even worst.

TFCRegina
04-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Honestly, having watched LA so far this season, this is exactly how they've looked all season. Juan Pablo being completely invisible when he's played, Barrett fucking it up and Donovan missing in action. I'm not particularly impressed with this result because this was a beatable team and we were playing at home. If we can't beat the Chivas' of this world, and we can't beat LA at their worst then I'm not sure who we are going to beat.

I was personally extremely frustrated by some of the running with the ball that went on with head down. Some of the players on this team would rather deake out 8 players then make an easy pass and it can be frustrating to watch. The passing tonight was also pretty bad which just added to my frustration.

Just one of those games where I honestly felt bored. I think it took the crowd out of the game as well until the end of the game when it came alive.

I don't think the sky is falling, I'm not discusted with the team, but I'm certainly frustrated.

We need a big game against DC United on saturday. If we don't get a result then it will make these results look even worst.

Portland for starters.

ag futbol
Zavarise seems to relish just about any job that's given to him. Play forward? check. Play wide in the midfield and track back? check.

Tchani and JDG playing in front of the backline deserves most of the credit for the improved stability back there. Tchani is the blunt object and JDG subtlety forces attackers into making bad decisions. Very good partnership. Also credit winter for helping this team keep its shape more than it did under any other previous coach.

Let's hope Tchani can work on his passing a bit. He seems to be decent at breaking out but hesitates too much and makes bad passes. Can probably be fixed with a little more time with the team.

backbeat
i thought Tchani showed a lot of promise tonight - some mistakes but over-all a solid performance - i liked that he played the ball at his feet - he's definitely got a bright future.

if Yourassovsky or Borman could play RB we'd have a pretty good looking back 4 with Cann and Williams/Nana - Harden was not bad but he should be a sub...

add a DP AM and i like our team - and maybe a strong RB if Yourassovsky or Borman can't play RB

great point tonight - if we get 3 on Saturday this team is looking good for a playoff position....

like what i'm seeing....

Whoop
04-13-2011, 11:14 PM

Donovan is injured, no?

Pachuco
04-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Donovan is injured, no?

yeap.

Whoop
04-13-2011, 11:15 PM
I thought JDG had one of his best games as a TFC player.

reggie
04-13-2011, 11:16 PM
happy with the point,the fact we have only one striker on this roster is a joke.
we did not play with a striker tonight.we played 1 - 4 -6.

Jack
04-13-2011, 11:16 PM
One thing I think is a positive is that we see promise and potential. There is work to be done, but there is material on this team with which to work. That hasn't been the case in the past and there is a much more hopeful and positive vibe than I've seen in a couple of years.

ag futbol
04-13-2011, 11:20 PM

I am not sure if i would stretch it that far. There wasn't much offensive prowless from anyone out there tonight. It wasn't like TFC was bunkering like they did under preki, but the play going forward was seriously lacking a catalyst.

I think it's a case of us being a work in progress, so there's nothing wrong with a singular point. But I wouldn't say LA pushed us into our own half as much as we lacked a way to get out of it with our own ingenuity.

Backline can't pass, the other teams know it. They pressure up top and the balls get off the ground and start going over the top. Our team can't compete as well for those because we aren't built to play that way and we ultimately lose possession.

Serb_Star
04-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Chad Barrett is hilarious.

rocker
04-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Let's hope Tchani can work on his passing a bit. He seems to be decent at breaking out but hesitates too much and makes bad passes. Can probably be fixed with a little more time with the team.

Tchani is hit and miss with the passing right now. Sometimes he had these laser passes that went JUST between the LA players out to Martina or Plata, which was great! But then, like you say, they'd be on the break and he had Stevanovic wide open but he'd hesitate and hold on to the ball, allowing LA to regroup. If he can learn to identify those moments and send forwards with through balls, then we'll have many more chances on goal.

werewolf
04-13-2011, 11:23 PM
LOL @ Beckham bitching to the refs after the game. He was not pleased, it was approaching Drogba territory.

TFCRegina
04-13-2011, 11:25 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/04/13/sp-galaxy-torontofc-game.html

John Molinaro chimes in with his typical anti-TFC tirade.

billyfly
04-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Lots of tourists in 112 tonite.

Also, how I ended up at a Lesbian Party at the Gladstone after the game is still a mystery.

2mil4dero+santo
04-13-2011, 11:28 PM

he's still pissed about winter's letter lol...

Auzzy
04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Frei ... 7.5
Gargan .... 5
Cann .... 6.5
Harden ... 6
Borman ... 5.5
Peterson ... 5.5
Tchani ... 5
De Guzman ... 7
Stevanovic ... 6
Martina .... 4.5
Zavarise ... 5.5

Goal post ... 10

Overall, poor game, not much build-up, too many long balls, not enough chances ... woodwork saved us.

Point was lucky.

You forgot about Terry Vaughn and his assistants, -4

Luckily there were plenty of bad calls against both sides. The one time LA was called for a foul against Plata was effing hilarious for example. But yeah the missed foul on Stevanovic (leading to Barrett's crossbar hit), and the missed advantage call when Tchani was down near the end, were pretty extreme.

Hooking a random number generator to a whistle would provide more reliable officiating.

TFCRegina
04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
he's still pissed about winter's letter lol...

He's just pissed an Italian from Juventus wasn't hired to run TFC.

Petor
04-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Was a fine nite for a match, I had a great time.
From my iphone in 110.
112 was in fine voice and a great opening save by Stephan...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUo96N-wUkE

ExiledRed
04-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Ref was a plonker.

Game was entertaining for a 0-0, It was different from Prekiball in that it was actually fun to watch, both teams had spates of dominance, and we pressured them and created some good chances. The atmosphere was upbeat, the stadium full, and we finished the evening second in the conference and fifth in the league.

Winter's not doing too badly, there's definitely been some suspect decisions, and Im worried his inexperience will show at the most inopportune time, but I would say he collected a good point tonight.

Sweeper
04-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Fantastic game to watch considering it was nil-nil. We need a solid striker but give the LA defence credit. I am willing to bet their goals against is one of the lowest in the league this year. I don't think Harden or Gargan are starters on any other team but they both looked much improved. Defensive mid is solid. We have a lot of individual talent, just need to work toward playing as a team. So relieved that Barrett didn't score on us and so happy to see the guy still can't finish.

reggie
04-13-2011, 11:49 PM

he is a nothing in a group of nothings that cover this team,i dont read any of them...kelly,wheeler,molinaro,etc etc etc...
this my site for tfc news,these wanks have never broken a story.

Whoop
04-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Game was entertaining for a 0-0, It was different from Prekiball in that it was actually fun to watch, both teams had spates of dominance, and we pressured them and created some good chances. The atmosphere was upbeat, the stadium full, and we finished the evening second in the conference and fifth in the league.

I agree with this assessment.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-14-2011, 12:51 AM
he is a nothing in a group of nothings that cover this team,i dont read any of them...kelly,wheeler,molinaro,etc etc etc...

I don't think that's entirely fair. I don't agree with a lot of what Molinaro writes, but I think he has an affection for the sport which Kelly lacks and knowledge of the game with Wheeler lacks.

I agree 100% with your suggestion that this place is the best news source for TFC - none of the writers you mentioned seem to have much insider info. Kristian Jack, who I saw at the game tonight, seems pretty well informed about what goes on with the club, but rarely seems to report on TFC.

A little disappointed with the teams lack for depth a centre forward. Yes both Gordon and Santos where out, but they've been playing Santos in mid, it's like the team has only one centre forward on the roster. This isn't going to go over big, I think the team could find a reserve striker who could do a job in these situations on a CSL team.

werewolf
04-14-2011, 12:59 AM
http://i30.tinypic.com/2mgk39d.jpg

habstfc
04-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Fair result for both sides.

UltraSuperMegaMo
^ Indeed.

Jeffro
Also, how I ended up at a Lesbian Party at the Gladstone after the game is still a mystery.

Hahaha, the Hump Day Bump, I've had some good times at that party.

troy1982
04-14-2011, 01:04 AM
A 0-0 draw (almost tradition) and the first defensively sound performance, against what is arguably the strongest side in MLS.

I'll take it :D

I guess you have never seen Real Salt Lake play.

They have been the best team in MLS for 2 years now and play the game beautifully.

werewolf
04-14-2011, 01:14 AM
the 4-6-0 Portugal formation wasn't working, with our diet version of twinkletoes (Stevanovic). We were really exposed at our lack of striker depth, at least it looked like we played with heart and got a point.

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-14-2011, 01:17 AM
A little OT, but do we really need the Scots Turf builder banners on the field during the anthems? It's basically saying the anthems are sponsored by Scots, which seems a little cheesy.

Also, you know who wouldn't be bad at striker, Gary O'Connor, he's just come on the market.

Whoop
04-14-2011, 01:25 AM
the 4-6-0 Portugal formation wasn't working, with our diet version of twinkletoes (Stevanovic). We were really exposed at our lack of striker depth, at least it looked like we played with heart and got a point.

Wasn't that a formation that Scotland used in a Euro qualifier?

werewolf
04-14-2011, 01:27 AM
I remember it best from the '06 WC semi-final, when Pauleta was their lone striker for most of the match. In their efforts to equalize, they thought it was a good idea to take him off. :noidea:

Wouldn't surprise me from Scotland...

Whoop
04-14-2011, 01:34 AM
http://www.goal.com/en/news/2898/euro-2012/2010/10/08/2157315/scotland-manager-craig-levein-defends-4-6-0-formation-after

Waggy
04-14-2011, 02:00 AM
Lots of tourists in 112 tonite.

Hot lesbian or trucker lesbian? Actually, either way, #winning

(too soon?)

Marvin
04-14-2011, 03:46 AM

quoting this so it didn't get lost in the struggle. we need to start winning at home. period.

James17930
04-14-2011, 05:23 AM
^^^ Yeah, we are tied for 2nd in the East, that's crazy! well done guys, i think without Gordon/Maicon and so many players out of place, we did....ok, against the Shield Holders.

No shame guys, our next game is a big deal lets get a W.

True -- but we've played 1 or 2 more games than most of the other Eastern teams so far. So hopefully they will squander those games in hand against Western clubs.

BritSOL
04-14-2011, 05:47 AM
I was getting annoyed with nearly all the LA players due to their actions with the ball when the ref blew his whistle for a foul etc.

Normally, if an opposing player has the ball, they will then ignore it and make the team that has the free kick fetch it. The LA players though would not only not give the ball back, but often would give it a little tap and move it a few yards away from the TFC players.

There were no big kicks away away, but the LA players all seemed to act like kids who didn't want to give the ball back.

Having now re-read want I typed, it seems very trivial, but it was very annoying last night to watch.

Heathen
04-14-2011, 06:18 AM
Considering the absences of Santos and Gordon and the subsequent lack of any firepower I'm quite happy with the draw. Stefanovic definitely isn't a lone striker though, thought Cann was our MotM and Harden was ok. Tchani had a shocker, he was almost Sanyangesque last night, that is without the constant threat of dismissal. Good to see JDG looking like he's getting back to his Spanish form.
We have to win the next two games though anything else would be failure.

deltox
04-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Alen Stevanovic was great. you could see brilliance and skill when he touched the ball. then he wouldnt let it go. now surrounded by 3 Galaxians(yea...thats what im going with) he would be overwhelmed and its turned over.

we've seen this from him before. maybe this is him being new to this league. maybe he thought that he was too skillful for MLS? but he has to release the ball right after his "spin job" or "crazy 1 touch around the midfielder"

however. his first few touches....... awesome to watch.

deltox
04-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Also....post game videos show that players are being interviewed in the gym....not the locker room.

Garber - your thoughts?

maninb
04-14-2011, 07:19 AM

JDG has NEVER in his career been a scorer...the few times he's been pushed forward it was obvious that he has absolutely no finishing touches...

maninb
04-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Pleasently surprised with Petersen as well...I was on the fence about him, but he delivers good dead balls into the box and seems to be repaying Winters confidence in him...

Bars92
04-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Wasn't that a formation that Scotland used in a Euro qualifier?

Scotland would have had Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller i.e strikers

trane
04-14-2011, 07:39 AM
I have a question for my fellow Milanisti when did Ignazio Abate start playing for TFC? I am sure I so him on the pitch yesterday.

Pookie
04-14-2011, 07:42 AM
I love how the comments regarding LA knocking it off the woodwork end there, without mention of our 2 headers that ended up right at the keeper. Inches either way on any of those shots (LAG and TFC), makes a difference for both clubs.

Good result. In particular, +1 for the performances of Cann, Gargan, Frei, Peterson, JDG, Stevanovic, Yourassowsky

bdiddy
04-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Its always nice to see you can see the positives of the team... well done.

ricciboy
04-14-2011, 07:47 AM
i rather take 1 point then none :P

ExiledRed
04-14-2011, 07:55 AM
classic barrett.....awesome

bdiddy
04-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Agreed jloome;

And Beckhams shot that rang of the post was becuase of a bad call by a bad ref. It wasn't a great buildup of play that caused that opportunity.

The game wasn't spectacular, but we deserved 1 point, Ricketts got lucky twice on the headers that they basically came right at him, if they were just a little off to either side, he wouldn't have had the chance to react to them.

2mil4dero+santo
04-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Agreed jloome;

And Beckhams shot that rang of the post was becuase of a bad call by a bad ref. It wasn't a great buildup of play that caused that opportunity.

The game wasn't spectacular, but we deserved 1 point, Ricketts got lucky twice on the headers that they basically came right at him, if they were just a little off to either side, he wouldn't have had the chance to react to them.

It's funny everyone is all over Toledo and Reyes last couple of games, when I thought they did a pretty good job. However, this was some of the worst officiating I've seen and there no ref-bashing threads (maybe cuz he's not latino?)
Why can we never get Alex Prus or Jair Maruffo? I guess they only ref the top clubs.
On another note, good result last night.

Fort York Redcoat
04-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Considering the absences of Santos and Gordon and the subsequent lack of any firepower I'm quite happy with the draw. Stefanovic definitely isn't a lone striker though, thought Cann was our MotM and Harden was ok. Tchani had a shocker, he was almost Sanyangesque last night, that is without the constant threat of dismissal. Good to see JDG looking like he's getting back to his Spanish form.
We have to win the next two games though anything else would be failure.

Steve-o I thought needed to move the ball faster. While his holding it up was impressive at times it was more important spread the ball around faster.
Martina was overused and needs to centre that ball more to change up his game.
Zavarise was invisible, granted, he was left all alone on a couple occasions unutilized.
Tchani will have to watch how easily he goes down and how quick he challenges. Big man with the ball but as above, I think he was shown for his present weakness to distribute the last pass to our forwards.

Overall I'm content with the result as long as there's improvement next match. We got away with one last night. I could see a sloppy win for us Sat and I'd be happier.

bdiddy
04-14-2011, 08:10 AM
I have to say - I really do like what I see in Tchani - a couple of times he's made some great headers on to players that were able to make runs. He's a big strong body and other players have to grab/clutch and drag down to get away.

Once he gets more experience playing with the team/system he's going to be tough for a lot of players to handle. He made some good passes, overall I am really happy with his play.

I'm not sure how anyone would have given a Martina a 4.5 out of 10 on a rating. He was playing with no outside help. Gargan played so far back he had no opportunity to pass on the wing, he was double teamed all game long (and still managed to beat defenders).

We want players like him and Stefanovich running at defenders - we want them to be putting pressure on their defense. We haven't had these types of players in a long time, that attack from out-wide with skill. Yet people complain when they don't make it everytime? We need a bit of selfishness sometimes - how many times last year did we see too many extra passes when a shot would have been great. I don't htink Martina had his A game going.

But overall he was solid and causing their backline issues.

Yourassowsky looked great coming on, maknig good runs, causing problems and opening up space. Well done.

Fort York Redcoat
04-14-2011, 08:11 AM
It's funny everyone is all over Toledo and Reyes last couple of games, when I thought they did a pretty good job. However, this was some of the worst officiating I've seen and there no ref-bashing threads (maybe cuz he's not latino?)
Why can we never get Alex Prus or Jair Maruffo? I guess they only ref the top clubs.

Shocking inconsistencies last match and we let him know it. (Regardless of his background 2mil...:rolleyes:)

levyashin
04-14-2011, 08:13 AM
0-0 ,1 pt won now 2 wins against D.C. and columbus and we are looking good.Gargan,Harden and Peterson need air-lifted out .team for saturday;
frei
borman-----------williams-----------------cann------------yourofski
deguzman-------tchani--------stephanovic
martina----------gordon--------santos.

Davenport
04-14-2011, 08:14 AM
I just watched the condensed version on Gol TV.
They were the highlights ?

An over the hill Beckham stood head and shoulders above anyone else.
He never wasted a ball and his crosses were perfect. He made the rest of them out there look very ordinary. Not good for the future of the league.

Does every young player TFC sign have to be a midget ?

The refereeing was embarrassing.

MG42
04-14-2011, 08:17 AM
1 win in 5 games...

Fort York Redcoat
04-14-2011, 08:22 AM
An over the hill Beckham stood head and shoulders above anyone else.
He never wasted a ball and his crosses were perfect. He made the rest of them out there look very ordinary. Not good for the future of the league.

See Tchani, Williams.

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2011, 08:23 AM
1 win in 5 games...

Which would have TFC tied for the 2nd most wins (and overall points) in the Eastern Conference at the moment. Everything is relative.

Fort York Redcoat
04-14-2011, 08:24 AM
1 win in the first 5 games...

amended..

DangerRed
04-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Which would have TFC tied for the 2nd most wins (and overall points) in the Eastern Conference at the moment. Everything is relative.

Wow, people complain about people being negative, but your optimism for this team is boundless.

We were blatantly outclassed last night. Half of the "shots" we have on the sheet were slow trickle passes to the opposing keeper, and LA's buildup and attack were better than most of what we've seen so far this season.

But no, neither side deserved the win, everyone's seen a lot of positives, and it's all relative.

God forbid you actually criticize the team when it needs criticizing.

ONE WIN IN FIVE GAMES. At any point of the season, to me that's poor.

Oldtimer
04-14-2011, 08:30 AM

Nothing to do with Latino lol. Toledo has had criticism for years from all over MLS. If you think he's any good, you are definitely in the minority.

The ref today was better than Toledo (let the play flow more rather than impose himself as much on the game), but he was still not very good, and missed some very clear things.

Oldtimer
04-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Wow, people complain about people being negative, but your optimism for this team is boundless.

We were blatantly outclassed last night. Half of the "shots" we have on the sheet were slow trickle passes to the opposing keeper, and LA's buildup and attack were better than most of what we've seen so far this season.

But no, neither side deserved the win, everyone's seen a lot of positives, and it's all relative.

LA is one of the best teams in the league.
We were missing what strike force we have.
We expected the team to do quite poorly this year (they are rebuilding), so they have exceeded expectations.

Some people's pessimism over this team is boundless. Just recognize it's a glass half empty, glass half full thing. Everyone knows that this team aren't world-beaters yet.

MG42
04-14-2011, 08:32 AM

With 4 teams below us with a game at hand and 2 teams bleow us with 2 games at hand. Everything is relative.

DangerRed
04-14-2011, 08:37 AM
With 4 teams below us with a game at hand and 2 teams bleow us with 2 games at hand. Everything is relative.

+1,000,000.

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2011, 08:38 AM

First of all, my comment was based on the current standings, not a positive or negative assessment of anything.

Furthermore, if you read my initial post after the match, you would have noted that I was in fact critical of the team's performance last night. In fairness though, it was a patchwork lineup with 2 key pieces missing.

I disagree with your assessment that TFC was badly outplayed. I thought both clubs were unimpressive. If you look at the quality scoring chances created over the course of the entire match, there were only a few for both sides. TFC missed 3 easy headers, and LA missed a few chances including hitting the post and crossbar.

A draw was a fair result in a bland game that was probably a reflection of both clubs playing on short rest.

DangerRed
04-14-2011, 08:38 AM
We expected the team to do quite poorly this year (they are rebuilding), so they have exceeded expectations.

Some people's pessimism over this team is boundless. Just recognize it's a glass half empty, glass half full thing. Everyone knows that this team aren't world-beaters yet.

Wait, so one win in five games and a backwards performance last night isn't "quite poorly" to you? Damn, I'd be scared to see your definition of "quite poorly," then...

LucaGol
04-14-2011, 08:40 AM

Couple of points:

1. LA is the best team in a ridiculously small sample size
2. "Best team" in MLS does not really hold much weight due to parity
3. LA was missing their best player
4. LA was playing on the road

5. Santos and Gordon are a "strike force" now?

6. We expected the team to do quite poorly, I guess the "re-building" party line has worked for MLSE, hook, line and sinker

What are we exactly "re-building" with? This is a salary cap league where there's more personnel turnover then your local grocery store hiring high-schoolers for summer jobs.

There's no reason not to have a competitive team on the field annually. End of. Get proper scouts in proper regions of the world and give us a product worth rooting for.

I'm not getting artificially excited because the bar is set so low that I might step on it. Sorry.

Beach_Red
04-14-2011, 08:40 AM

Yes, they have. Last year this team would have let in late goals and turned these 0-0 games into losses. This year we hear nothing but complaints about the back four even after two games not allowing a goal.

And yes, everyone knows this team isn't where it's going ot be but we should also consider that the first game of the season was the worst the team will be all year and there may really be steady improvement all season long, actually building towards something.

Isn't that what we wanted?

Pachuco
04-14-2011, 08:41 AM
I love how the comments regarding LA knocking it off the woodwork end there, without mention of our 2 headers that ended up right at the keeper. Inches either way on any of those shots (LAG and TFC), makes a difference for both clubs.

Good result. In particular, +1 for the performances of Cann, Gargan, Frei, Peterson, JDG, Stevanovic, Yourassowsky

There is a big difference with generating offense in the run of play and basically getting two headers off of two free kicks. What LA's offense was doing looked a whole lot more dangerous then what our offense managed. Sure it's a game of inches, and maybe if Plata puts in the header BMO explodes. But that's not what people are saying, when people refer to LA's chances it's because they really looked alot more threatening then we did.

I personally love how people talk about taking the point because Maicon was missing when they had their best fucking player out with an injury. This isn't the LA you all think you know. This isn't the LA with Edson Buddle. You take away Donovan from this team and they should lose every road game they play.

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2011, 08:44 AM

So what? The point is that other than Philadelphia, no other club has secured more points at this point in time, and TFC also ranks 2nd in goals scored in the eastern conference despite last night's scoreless draw. Remember, TFC is rebuilding, with the majority of players on the roster being new to the club. I would say that it could be far worse.

DangerRed
04-14-2011, 08:47 AM
First of all, my comment was based based on the current standings, not a positive or negative assessment of anything.

Furthermore, if you read my initial post after the match, you would have noted that I was in fact critical of the team's performance last night. In fairness though, it was a patchwork lineup with 2 key pieces missing.

I disagree with your assessment that TFC was badly outplayed. I thought both clubs were unimpressive. If you look at the quality scoring chances created over the course of the entire match, there were only a few for both sides. TFC missed 3 easy headers, and LA missed a few chances including hitting the post and crossbar.

A draw was a fair result in a bland game that was probably a reflection of both clubs playing on short rest.

Then if your comment was based on the standings, allow me to repeat, there are 4 teams below us with a game at hand and 2 teams bleow us with 2 games at hand. If that gets you excited about our point tally, I would caution that this excitement is mathematically assured to be very temporary.

LA hit the bar three times, forced a handful of mission-critical saves from Frei, while we muddled around the park for 90 minutes. I was shocked when Cann got man of the match, which should have clearly gone to Frei.

There were people all around me thanking their lucky stars that the Galaxy was out of form last night. You're right, Galaxy was not rested, and thank god for that.

ryan
04-14-2011, 08:53 AM
1 win in 5 games...

1 loss in 5 games....

:scarf:

Jack
04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
I understand the comments from you guys. We are certainly a work in progress and there is a ton of work to be done. But there is no denying the glimpses we've seen so far. There is potential, which is leading to a more positive outlook. Whether or not that potential gets turned into anything remains to be seen.

ManUtd4ever
Then if your comment was based on the standings, allow me to repeat, there are 4 teams below us with a game at hand and 2 teams bleow us with 2 games at hand. If that gets you excited about our point tally, I would caution that this excitement is mathematically assured to be very temporary.

LA hit the bar three times, forced a handful of mission-critical saves from Frei, while we muddled around the park for 90 minutes. I was shocked when Cann got man of the match, which should have clearly gone to Frei.

There were people all around me thanking their lucky stars that the Galaxy was out of form last night. You're right, Galaxy was not rested, and thank god for that.

Granted, Beckham and Barrett should have scored, but Zavarise, Tchani, and Plata also should have scored.

As for the balance of the game, from my vantage point at the stadium, the bulk of the play was in front of my section all night; LA dominated possession in the 1st half, and TFC controlled most of the possession in the 2nd half.

Again, our depleted lineup was a factor. Despite what some people make of Gordon and Santos, they are both integral to the flow of our offense, and considering that they were both unavailable at the last minute, I'll gladly take the point.

MG42
So what? The point is that other than Philadelphia, no other club has secured more points at this point in time, and TFC also ranks 2nd in goals scored in the eastern conference despite last night's scoreless draw. Remember, TFC is rebuilding, with the majority of players on the roster being new to the club. I would say that it could be far worse.

I know it could be worse, but the fact we are currently in second place right now is meaningless when we have played more games than most of the teams in the conference. Why is this so hard to understand? Say we are playing above expectations - sure. Say we are rebuilding - absolutely. Say it could be worse - no doubt. But this "we're in second place" optimism needs to be checked.

TFC ranks tied for second in goals scored? Check this out - they are also tied for second in goals allowed.

I guess all this doesn't even matter so early in the season though lol

ACSertL
04-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Tchani was a little frustrating to watch last night mainly due to his hot and cold play. His passing was woeful at times but I thought he was an absolute beast when he would take the ball forward. A little more consistency in his passing and we're looking at a really solid player.

I'd also like to add that the parity argument can go both ways. If "best in MLS" is relative to parity than so is "worst in MLS" as well.

LucaGol
04-14-2011, 09:01 AM
1 loss in 5 games....

:scarf:

Here's some more accurate math ... 6 points in 5 games ... when you should be getting a little more than 1.5 points per game to make the playoffs, 0.3 off is a big deal.

But I guess we shouldn't expect playoffs this year, so ya ... :scarf: :drinking:

We'll just "re-build", tank and draft Ryan Nugent-Hopkins first overall. He's the centre we've needed for a long time.

Pachuco
04-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Granted, Beckham and Barrett should have scored, but Zavarise, Tchani, and Plata also should have scored.

As for the balance of the game, from my vantage point at the stadium, the bulk of the play was in front of my section all night; LA dominated possession in the 1st half, and TFC controlled most of the possession in the 2nd half.

Again, our depleted lineup was a factor. Despite what some people make of Gordon and Santos, they are both integral to the flow of our offense, and considering that they were both unavailable at the last minute, I'll gladly take the point.

If you are going to talk about our lineup being depleted you can't just ignore the fact LA was missing one of the best players in the league and certaintly their best offensive threat.

LucaGol
04-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Tchani was a little frustrating to watch last night mainly due to his hot and cold play. His passing was woeful at times but I thought he was an absolute beast when he would take the ball forward. A little more consistency in his passing and we're looking at a really solid player.

I'd also like to add that the parity argument can go both ways. If "best in MLS" is relative to parity than so is "worst in MLS" as well.

I can see the future Tchani being an All-star in MLS. I honestly do.

The fact of the matter is ... right now he is still super-raw. Questionable timing and poor passing range.

His vision is good because he's clearly picking out the right options ... he's just not executing.

I would also like to see him dominate more physically for his size.

But I do see the potential. Him and Sanyang would have made good partners in a proper 4-3-3 with De Guz in the middle, allowing JDG more creative freedom from deep. But alas, we jettisoned Sanyang cause we were very stacked at such positions. Clearly.

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2011, 09:09 AM
If you are going to talk about our lineup being depleted you can't just ignore the fact LA was missing one of the best players in the league and certaintly their best offensive threat.

Absolutely. If Donovan, Gordon, and Santos were healthy, it would have likely been a far more entertaining match last night with more scoring chances created on both sides of the pitch.

ACSertL
04-14-2011, 09:09 AM
I can see the future Tchani being an All-star in MLS. I honestly do.

The fact of the matter is ... right now he is still super-raw. Questionable timing and poor passing range.

His vision is good because he's clearly picking out the right options ... he's just not executing.

I would also like to see him dominate more physically for his size.

But I do see the potential. Him and Sanyang would have made good partners in a proper 4-3-3 with De Guz in the middle, allowing JDG more creative freedom from deep. But alas, we jettisoned Sanyang cause we were very stacked at such positions. Clearly.

The bolded pretty much sums up how I feel about him. Very well put.

jazzy
04-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Frei ... 7.5
Gargan .... 5
Cann .... 6.5
Harden ... 6
Borman ... 5.5
Peterson ... 5.5
Tchani ... 5
De Guzman ... 7
Stevanovic ... 6
Martina .... 4.5
Zavarise ... 5.5

Goal post ... 10

Point was lucky.

Tchani, was strong in the middle, he doesn't get pushed off the ball, has a mean streak and sent numerous balls up the middle of which we had no one to utilize,......great future. Now Stevanovic amazing heart and skills but can't keep trying to take on the whole team, has to pass..... Freis save in the first minutes was simply amazing

Roogsy
04-14-2011, 09:12 AM
I don't know what to make of this game. I guess there were positives and negatives. The positives of course being that we took a point against a top team in the league...the negative being that we dropped points at home.

I think it all points to a fundamental point...those that are happy with the point are ok with being a work in progress. Those that are not happy with the point realize that regardless of where we are as a "work in progress" we're still a below average team with very little hope for success this season.

Whether or not you are happy depends on what kind of success you'd like to see this season I suppose.

Whoop
04-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Scotland would have had Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller i.e strikers

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2898/euro-2012/2010/10/08/2157315/scotland-manager-craig-levein-defends-4-6-0-formation-after

reggie
04-14-2011, 09:13 AM
the fact that we did not have a striker on the roster last night is a joke.the fact that gargan and harden are starters wow,we should be happy that we are not 0 and 5.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-14-2011, 09:17 AM
sanyang was all elbows and i cant remember him ever making any decent passes.
Tchani is raw but has shown way more of an upside than a downside and i dont see JDG ever being a playmaker, dont think hes ever played as one, not for a substantial amount of time anyways. It is too soon to celebrate being second in the division but on the same hand i think its way to soon to start crying about this club being a failure.

Whoop
04-14-2011, 09:18 AM
I thought Martina was ok but he wasn't getting any support from Gargan whatsoever.

Gargan is a bench player, not a starter.

I'm with AC on Tchani. His passing last night wasn't very good but when he takes the ball forward, he doesn't lose the ball easily.

billyfly
04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
People groaned when Gargan's name was announced.

ACSertL
04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Maybe I've got a concussion or something but I don't think Harden looks all that bad a centre back. His deficiencies (i.e. pace) are minimized playing there as opposed to at fullback and he's consistently a threat on offensive set pieces as well. I guess I'm not willing to write him off just yet.

Gargan on the other hand clearly needs to get relegated to the bench.

Luanda
04-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Is the glass half empty or half full?

One win in five games, one loss in five games, undefeated in the last four games. But I also think there is something else that is telling: 6 goals for and 6 goals against in the first five games of the season. This for a team that was supposed: a) to have all kinds of difficulties defensively; and b) all kinds of difficulties offensively.

If you remove the whitecraps game, TFC has scored 4 and allowed the opposition two - the opposite in four games of what it suffered in Vancouver during a single outing.
Twice, TFC has come out with a clean sheet and twice it has let in only one goal.

This is not shabby for a team under re-construction. Admittedly, things could be better, much better. But hey folks, after the surgery which this team experienced up to a few weeks ago, this boads really well for the future.

Roogsy
04-14-2011, 09:24 AM
People groaned when Gargan's name was announced.

The reversal of support of Gargan as a starter has been incredible to watch. I guess those of us that were saying it last year were right? :lol:

Watching the ridiculous enthusiasm for a subpar player was mind-numbing and watching people flip 180 degrees is just as entertaining.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Whether or not you are happy depends on what kind of success you'd like to see this season I suppose.

yeah thats totally it, pretty much the theme of the season,
basically we all need to manage our expectations

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2011, 09:26 AM
I don't know what to make of this game. I guess there were positives and negatives. The positives of course being that we took a point against a top team in the league...the negative being that we dropped points at home.

I think it all points to a fundamental point...those that are happy with the point are ok with being a work in progress. Those that are not happy with the point realize that regardless of where we are as a "work in progress" we're still a below average team with very little hope for success this season.

You're right. Personally, I expected TFC to be slow out of the gate, which they have been, yet because of the level of parity in the league, TFC is still in a respectable position in the standings at this point in time. Of course, that could change drastically after a couple of games but unlike past years, I think this club has the potential to improve over the course of the season because of the youthful makeup of our roster.

If TFC can stay reasonably close to a playoff position for the first 10-15 games, it will bode well for the club's chances at making a legitimate run at the post season in the 2nd half of the season.

Section 117
04-14-2011, 09:26 AM
For the people on this site that are going on about LA hitting the post 3 times who gives a shut the ball didn't go in. So whether they missed by 50 feet of an inch bottom line it didn't go in.

IMO Tchani needs to look up whenhe has the ball on his feet, he holds the ball a tad too much. Late in the second half I saw Winter giving him shit for that but hopefully he will make the correct adjustments.

My biggest concern is that on several occasions players stopped making runs and then the pass went to where they were suppose to be. I guess that comes down to lack of playing time together. I see improvements with the team from game one till now let's hope they continue. Now let's beat the shit out of DC on Saturday.

Come on you Reds

Whoop
04-14-2011, 09:28 AM
The reversal of support of Gargan as a starter has been incredible to watch. I guess those of us that were saying it last year were right? :lol:

Watching the ridiculous enthusiasm for a subpar player was mind-numbing and watching people flip 180 degrees is just as entertaining.

Gargan was a bench player last year too.

Roogsy
04-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Gargan was a bench player last year too.

By the end of the year, he was a starter.

rocker
04-14-2011, 09:31 AM
My biggest concern is that on several occasions players stopped making runs

I saw that too. Tchani and Martina did that a couple times in the first half. If they had just run, they'd have been on the ball in space.

Roogsy
04-14-2011, 09:38 AM
I think this club has the potential to improve over the course of the season because of the youthful makeup of our roster.

This is the problem I have with this point of view.

Toronto FC is expected to improve over the next few weeks and months right? Why? Because of time spent together. Learning the system better. Players getting up to speed and feeling comfortable etc.

What other team does not have this sort of benefit? Don't they all? So by this rationale, don't ALL teams "improve" as the season goes on?

If there is anything we have learned from TFC it's that teams adjust very well to us. Regardless if we "improve", that does not result in positive outcomes in games and in the standings.

Take last year as an example. New coach. New system. We came out of the gate like gangbusters. What happened? Teams adjusted. They improved. They picked apart our weaknesses and we slowly made our way down the standings as the year wore on. Only when we made a change in coaching did we experience a "revival" of sorts by competing again in games even if we did not win them.

To me, there is only one way to succeed. To be fundamentally better than the other teams in as many areas as you can, and frankly we never have been and still continue to not be. I don't particularly care that we have a shiny new system that is much more attractive to look at. I don't care that we have a shiny new coach with "European" credentials. What I care about is looking at the roster, looking at our skill-level, looking at our capabilities and feeling comfortable that in a long season, these factors will enable us to succeed. I don't see that in this roster and in my opinion, that is much more influential than whether our team begins to feel comfortable with each other. Because you know what? The other teams are experiencing the same thing. So what will be the difference-maker? That's the key.

So for me, my prediction for this team has not changed. And my hope will not change. Because my understanding of the game tells me that until we increase the skill-level of this team, we will continue to be unimpressive. What does that mean? That means bringing in better players and until we do, my enthusiasm will be muted. If we continue to throw out Gargans and Hardens into starting roles, it is an indication that we are lacking and the results will reflect that. And I am sorry, as much as people are "enthused" about the new focus on the Academy, these better players will not be coming from our Academy. Our academy will hopefully be producing serviceable parts, not impact players.

Whoop
04-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Some teams actually regress during the season. Haven't you been watching TFC over the last few years? LOL

As for the skill level, I anticipate more moves made throughout the season to help improve that skill level. It's not like "this is it" for the team this year.

As for the academy, I hope they produce impact players... but realistically academy players shouldn't be making an impact this year.

MKR
04-14-2011, 09:48 AM
I thought it wasn't a great game, but i can't complain given that santos and Gordon were both out. Honestly those two not being there was probably the difference in what could have been a goal or at least a better chance or two.

I was pretty impressed with Gargan's play given how bad he looked in the earlier games. Honestly, he wasn't all that bad and actually had a couple of nice tackles in some key situations.

Stevanovic really needs to learn how to pass. I'd say in general he just holds on the the ball wayyy too long. Also i don't know if i'm the only one that thinks this... but can he maybe try a little harder to not act like he gets shot every time someone fouls him? It seems like every game he sufferes a season ending injury by the way he goes down and rolls around. I'm not trying to hate on the guy, i think he's technically the best player on our squad. he's up there. There's just a few things i could see him do without.

Darlofletch
04-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Gargan looked ok last year under preki, as soon as the more defensive based system left, under dasovic he was exposed as what he is, which is a decent option to have on the bench to cover a few positions, but not good enough to be a starter. That's continued this year.

denime
04-14-2011, 09:54 AM

You are just pissed off that LA did not beat us 3-0 as you predicted.:hump:

Roogsy
04-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Some teams actually regress during the season. Haven't you been watching TFC over the last few years? LOL

As for the skill level, I anticipate more moves made throughout the season to help improve that skill level. It's not like "this is it" for the team this year.

As for the academy, I hope they produce impact players... but realistically academy players shouldn't be making an impact this year.

What makes you think our academy can product impact players? They have barely begun to produce serviceable parts, that is far too much to ask of a young academy.

Academies in general only usually produce role players and only once in a while do you get a "diamond in the rough" that winds up becoming a bonafide impact player. The probabilities of that happening are so small, it's illogical to concentrate on that as opposed to the real purpose of an academy, to fill roster spots with good solid roleplayers.

As for teams regressing during the season, I would not say Toronto FC is one of those. Last year is certainly no example of that. Rather, I think it's exactly the kind of example of other teams adjusting to us and poor coaching from Preki failing to adjust back. I have rarely seen "regressing" in MLS. Rather, what I see are teams that don't progress enough and teams that make significant progress and it's those teams that take the next step that usually succeed.

By the way, while we are waiting for TFC to "make moves" to improve skill level, other teams are already doing it and giving their teams more time than us to gel and get it together. This has been TFC's biggest problem since year one and probably my biggest complaint with the administration of this team, something this new management has not learned from the mistakes of the past management. Get your shit together before the season or in the opening weeks. Having players come in half-way through the season should have ended with the MoJo era.

trane
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
I like Stevanovic. I would like to see him played more centraly more often. Santon as CF, Stevanovic as ACM. JDG is playing in a system that suites him and that is great.

Martina is a keeper. I am unsure about the backline. Would prefer to see Nana get back on track.

I still think that a dominat stong and scoring CF is found.

Whoop
04-14-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm not saying they will... but I just said that I hope they would. LOL

I'm not expecting them to join the academies of Barcelona, Ajax, Sporting of the world. But I would hope that the TFC Academy would produce impact MLS players down the road.

As for getting talent mid-season, yeah it sucks... but I blame MLSE for making a late hiring. Every other MLS team had a coaching/technical staff in place prior to MLSE making the Winter/Mariner hirings.

Should edit that... competent coaching/technical staff. We saw the mess that was Earl Cochrane.

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2011, 10:03 AM
This is the problem I have with this point of view.

Toronto FC is expected to improve over the next few weeks and months right? Why? Because of time spent together. Learning the system better. Players getting up to speed and feeling comfortable etc.

What other team does not have this sort of benefit? Don't they all? So by this rationale, don't ALL teams "improve" as the season goes on?

If there is anything we have learned from TFC it's that teams adjust very well to us. Regardless if we "improve", that does not result in positive outcomes in games and in the standings.

Take last year as an example. New coach. New system. We came out of the gate like gangbusters. What happened? Teams adjusted. They improved. They picked apart our weaknesses and we slowly made our way down the standings as the year wore on. Only when we made a change in coaching did we experience a "revival" of sorts by competing again in games even if we did not win them.

To me, there is only one way to succeed. To be fundamentally better than the other teams in as many areas as you can, and frankly we never have been and still continue to not be. I don't particularly care that we have a shiny new system that is much more attractive to look at. I don't care that we have a shiny new coach with "European" credentials. What I care about is looking at the roster, looking at our skill-level, looking at our capabilities and feeling comfortable that in a long season, these factors will enable us to succeed. I don't see that in this roster and in my opinion, that is much more influential than whether our team begins to feel comfortable with each other. Because you know what? The other teams are experiencing the same thing. So what will be the difference-maker? That's the key.

I don't disagree, but with that being said, does TFC not have the same opportunity to improve throughout the course of the season as other clubs that are in a similar position? My cautious optimism is based on my perception that (other than the loss of DeRo), there are several key pieces in place in defined roles with a greater skill level than the majority of players on last year's roster.

A healthy TFC lineup gave San Jose all they could handle in their own barn. If a depleted lineup with no RB, AM, or strikers can hold their own against an LA squad (without Donovan), I'm optimistic that the club can be far more competitive throughout the course of the season with a healthy roster and the additions of a talented AM and RB. Winter and Mariner have indicated that they will try to address those shortcomings of the roster in the near future. Therefore, if our young players continue to mature, I see no logical reason why this club can't contend for a playoff spot in a league that is mired in parity.

Darlofletch
04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Overall I think it was a good result for us, considering we were unable to create anything from open play. This was the sort of game where it would have been good to have dero to go into diy mode and try and create something himself, cos plan A wasn't working, we just don't quite have the skill level yet.

very happy to see Cann have another good game, he was taking the ball forward well a few times as well, he looks a lot more comfortable now. De Guzman and Peterson as well both looked good. Tchani seemed to be playing further forward than in previous games and i thought it was his weakest game so far.

Should be interesting to see what line up they play on Saturday if gordon and santos are back, i wouldn't want to see de guzman or tchani dropped, but peterson doesn't deserve it either. does he go to right back, having someone more comfortable going forward there would certainly help Martina out.

denime
04-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Agree with your assessment, I'm ok as long there is a progress on the field on off the field.

There is a lot's of cap space and $$$ and that $$$ will be spent wisely not like before.I'm glad they don't listen to "us" anymore and signing the players to make us happy.

It took RSL more than 3 years to build up the team they have now,not 3 months.It takes time to change the culture,I can wait no rush for me.

trane
04-14-2011, 10:06 AM
One way or the other we are droping points and home. I agree with Winter that overall under the specific conditions it was a decent result. However, our of 9 home points, we only got 5, that is not ideal. But we have to time to fix that.

DangerRed
04-14-2011, 10:11 AM
You are just pissed off that LA did not beat us 3-0 as you predicted.:hump:

Hahahaha -- you got me. And for the record, I predicted 3-1! :D

Pachuco
04-14-2011, 10:12 AM
I think the optimism comes from people thinking we tied the LA Galaxy of last year. If people realized that they really aren't the LA Galaxy we know then they wouldn't be as optimistic. In my mind we just tied a team who is very beatable right now at home. Forget their past, they are a beatable team today and they will only get better as the season goes on. This was the time to beat them.

If we tie DC United 0-0 on Saturday, will people be as optimistic?

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2011, 10:12 AM
What makes you think our academy can product impact players? They have barely begun to produce serviceable parts, that is far too much to ask of a young academy.

Academies in general only usually produce role players and only once in a while do you get a "diamond in the rough" that winds up becoming a bonafide impact player. The probabilities of that happening are so small, it's illogical to concentrate on that as opposed to the real purpose of an academy, to fill roster spots with good solid roleplayers.

I haven't seen a lot of him, but Cordon has impressed me thus far in his limited minutes. I think Winter should try him at AM and see if he can handle a starting role with the first team. Until the transfer window, there aren't many other options.

Whoop
04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
That's the bigger issue.

Dropping points at home. You can't do that. That's why even though there is progress, it is tempered.

However, in the past (yes, all points are crucial), TFC's road record has been brutal. Hopefully that changes a bit this year. I mean, can it be better than abysmal?

2007 - 1W 10L 4D
2008 - 3W 11L 1D
2009 - 2W 8L 5D
2010 - 3W 10L 2D

I mean if TFC won 1 or 2 more games on the road in the past, they would be a playoff team.

Jack
04-14-2011, 10:18 AM
I think the optimism comes from people thinking we tied the LA Galaxy of last year. If people realized that they really aren't the LA Galaxy we know then they wouldn't be as optimistic. In my mind we just tied a team who is very beatable right now at home. Forget their past, they are a beatable team today and they will only get better as the season goes on. This was the time to beat them.

If we tie DC United 0-0 on Saturday, will people be as optimistic?

It would really depend on how the match plays out.

Pachuco
04-14-2011, 10:19 AM
It would really depend on how the match plays out.

Let's assume it plays out the exact same way?

Whoop
04-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Then I predict people won't be as optimistic.

I agree that LA isn't the same as last year but TFC was supposed to be shit this year. LA was supposed to stomp on TFC this year.

Pachuco
04-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Then I predict people won't be as optimistic.

I agree that LA isn't the same as last year but TFC was supposed to be shit this year. LA was supposed to stomp on TFC this year.

But why judge a result based on what was "supposed" to happen before the season even started? Doesn't it make more sense to judge based on the current circumstances?

If we tied the Union at home under the same circumstances I wouldn't be terrible upset. Even though I don't think anyone predicated the Union was going to start the season 3-1.

Jack
04-14-2011, 10:34 AM

If it's the exact same thing with Santos and Gordon in the lineup, then I'd be concerned.

But I think it's impossible to play the same with those two in. Stevanovic on the wing instead of Zavarise and Gordon in the middle makes our attack a lot more dangerous.

Given the lineup we had out there last night, I was pleased with the few chances we managed to generate at all.

Anyway, let's see what happens on Saturday, then we can come back and have that discussion :D

Nodoubtguy
04-14-2011, 10:35 AM
We got a point in a game where we had no business getting one....I'll take it

scooterTFC
04-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Steve-o I thought needed to move the ball faster. While his holding it up was impressive at times it was more important spread the ball around faster.
Martina was overused and needs to centre that ball more to change up his game.
Zavarise was invisible, granted, he was left all alone on a couple occasions unutilized.
Tchani will have to watch how easily he goes down and how quick he challenges. Big man with the ball but as above, I think he was shown for his present weakness to distribute the last pass to our forwards.

Overall I'm content with the result as long as there's improvement next match. We got away with one last night. I could see a sloppy win for us Sat and I'd be happier.

Good Post. I agree with you assesment of these players.

Stevo - Didn't look as comfortable playing in traffic in the middle of field. Hopefuly he builds some chemistry with the other attacking players over the next little while.

Martina - Completly agree. It probably has a lot to do with how and when he's receiving the ball (no right side build up play means his touches often come on the end of long crossing passes).

Zavarise - I like something about him. He did disappear at times last night, he's probably better used as late game sub. He seems to be athletic enough for the MLS game, he looks comfortable with the ball and is more aggresive in the attack then alot of the depth midfield guys we've had in past years. Positionally where does he best fit on this team? He's left sided but is he a winger?

Its amazing how we've gone from no natural left sided wide players to being stocked up with 4 good options - Stevo, Boorman, Yourassky and Zavarise. Right side needs a little help.

KGH
04-14-2011, 10:45 AM

Does anyone else think that if Plata tried to kick the ball instead of heading it he would of netted it?

prizby
04-14-2011, 10:47 AM
i'd take preki ball if we were on the road at cruz azul again...i actually found that to be attractive football because we were so on the edge and i was close to a heart attack every time cruz azul was on the attack...holding onto dear life while playing a far superior team can be attractive :p

brad
04-14-2011, 10:48 AM
I saw that too. Tchani and Martina did that a couple times in the first half. If they had just run, they'd have been on the ball in space.

Peterson did in the first half. He started making a diagonal run across the box when Martina had the ball. Martina saw the run and played the pass into the space Peterson should have been, but Peterson stopped the run.

daner90
04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Pretty happy taking a point from the match last night.
TFC was not perfect but considering we were without Santos and Gordon, I think it is a positive result.

This may have already been chatted about (I haven;t read all 8 pages) but I thought that our attacked was hindered by the fact our players were so hesitant to move the ball. Many times it led to the ball carrier just running out of space or into a wall of defenders and just lost possession. Not sure if it has to do with being unfamiliar with their teammates but hopefully that is something we will see fixed as the season goes on.

iansmcl
04-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Does anyone else think that if Plata tried to kick the ball instead of heading it he would of netted it?

Probably. It would have taken a very good reflex save for Ricketts to have even stopped the free kick itself going in, I think.

Gazza
04-14-2011, 11:04 AM
The first 30 mins were similar to a beer league game. Neither team could string together two passes. The beautiful game it was not.

Having said that, the effort the boys put in was excellent. Aside from some nervous passes, JDG had a very good game. When Gordon and Santos are back, Stevanovic goes back out on the left which will bode well for Saturday's game.

I think Martina's wonder goal got everyone a little overexcited. He reminds me a little too much of Rohan Ricketts. Nice to see Cordon get a run in. Hopefully we'll see more of Yourass as well.

Whoop
04-14-2011, 11:15 AM
I know it's early but I've liked Martina a lot more than Ricketts.

And I just realized that Stevanovic is only 20. I mean, I knew he was, but didn't realize he's the youngest starter in the lineup.

Nodoubtguy
04-14-2011, 11:19 AM
I know it's early but I've liked Martina a lot more than Ricketts.

And I just realized that Stevanovic is only 20. I mean, I knew he was, but didn't realize he's the youngest starter in the lineup.

just wait till "Maxing with Martina" hits TFC TV

jloome
04-14-2011, 11:24 AM
just wait till "Maxing with Martina" hits TFC TV

Or 'graduating from high school', starring Joao Plata. (He's 18. Maybe there's a growth spurt to come.)

Gazza
04-14-2011, 11:32 AM
You forget that Stevanovic is 20 years old. He must've had a hard, young life.

Section 117
04-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Another fustrating last night was the lack of awareness the back 4 had when they had the ball. JDG was open 90% of the time and they were to stupid or scared to make the pass to him. Honestly if they do not learn his to pass a bloody ball and stop giving it to Frei I am going to lose it.

Jenkins12
04-14-2011, 11:52 AM
First game i've been able to see this season, and enjoyed it to be fair.

I really didn't think much of Martina, looked like he lacked pace for the wing and was really sloppy today.

Tchani I thought played well, looked really strong and did the easy things well but his final ball to the front 4 was poor.

Stevanovi always looked comfortable on the ball and seemed dangerous.

Back four did a really good job on Angel and generally did well keeping out LA, although were fortunate once or twice.

Didn't notice Zavarise much atal.

Yourassowski looked threatening when he came on, as did Plata and for some unknown reason I got a good feeling about Cordon although he didn't do too much.

All in all a decent performance but too sloppy in the final third

trane
04-14-2011, 11:53 AM
If it's the exact same thing with Santos and Gordon in the lineup, then I'd be concerned.

But I think it's impossible to play the same with those two in. Stevanovic on the wing instead of Zavarise and Gordon in the middle makes our attack a lot more dangerous.

Given the lineup we had out there last night, I was pleased with the few chances we managed to generate at all.

Anyway, let's see what happens on Saturday, then we can come back and have that discussion :D

I keep on insisting that for this team, this league he can be a true 10, he needs to be in midle. Provided that we have the players to fill the other positions.

trane
04-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Another fustrating last night was the lack of awareness the back 4 had when they had the ball. JDG was open 90% of the time and they were to stupid or scared to make the pass to him. Honestly if they do not learn his to pass a bloody ball and stop giving it to Frei I am going to lose it.

The DM should be either the first or second option to pass to for a CB, so if they are not finding him, one has to wonder. It is a bit different for the FBs.

v00d00daddy
04-14-2011, 12:01 PM
I have a question for my fellow Milanisti when did Ignazio Abate start playing for TFC? I am sure I so him on the pitch yesterday.

Hahaha...zavarise does look a bit like him.

That would be a great rb to have

scooterTFC
04-14-2011, 12:15 PM
That's the bigger issue.

Dropping points at home. You can't do that. That's why even though there is progress, it is tempered.

However, in the past (yes, all points are crucial), TFC's road record has been brutal. Hopefully that changes a bit this year. I mean, can it be better than abysmal?

2007 - 1W 10L 4D
2008 - 3W 11L 1D
2009 - 2W 8L 5D
2010 - 3W 10L 2D

I mean if TFC won 1 or 2 more games on the road in the past, they would be a playoff team.

The 2nd half of the schedule is really road heavy this year. If they don't get better results on the road it will be a rough ending to the year.

v00d00daddy
04-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Section 117
04-14-2011, 12:38 PM
The DM should be either the first or second option to pass to for a CB, so if they are not finding him, one has to wonder. It is a bit different for the FBs.

Completely agree with your statement, but even still JDG was open he moved to give the FB options and they don't use him. If better replacements are found I would get rid of everyone except the LB.

Harden looked ok because LA lacks pace up front. If TFC played a team that had pace up front the back four would have gotten exposed more than we did

AmherstNY_TFC
Some random thoughts:

1. Clearly, LA were the more organized team, but, when you're still trying to figure out your best 11 after a blockbuster deal, the more organized team has an advantage. But, they made a tactical error. Beckham works as a deep-lying, Pirlo-type midfielder with Donovan to link to. Mike Magee? Not so much. Especially since Angel isn't very mobile.

2. The longer the game remained 0-0, the more confident TFC became.

3. Anyone who questioned the wisdom of trading Chad Barrett has their answer after last night. "Same old Chad" chant was great. Nice one, RPB!

4. Maybe JDG looks better because he's now the established alpha dog. Or is it just aerodynamics?

Whoop
Is Angel still considered a DP?

daner90
04-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Completely agree with your statement, but even still JDG was open he moved to give the FB options and they don't use him. If better replacements are found I would get rid of everyone except the LB.

Harden looked ok because LA lacks pace up front. If TFC played a team that had pace up front the back four would have gotten exposed more than we did

Honestly, I think San Jose's speed up front exposed Harden pretty bad on Saturday.

torontocelt
04-14-2011, 12:48 PM
We seen last night that our squad is too bare in attack. We really missed Gordon I thought, his presence would have come in handy. Stevanovic belongs on the wing and not directly up, his pace can be used more on the wing I feel but only if our players decide to use him which they seem to struggle to do.

The first 20 mins of football in the second half was some of the worst I have seen in a while. Both teams were pathetic at that point, it was really hard to watch.

I struggle to see why people are so pleased with the team, our record so far is not good enough. Anyone that is happy with 6 points from 5 games is obviously not too concerned with making the play offs. Winter said despite the rebuilding his goal is the play offs and as such I will judge him on that. 6 from 15 which includes 4 home games is not good form, not at all.

What I would say is that it is more enjoyable to watch but they are playing with wingers which would help facilitate this. They still need to upgrade several first team players and our squad is exceptionally weak. this really is just like starting from scratch all over again.

brad
04-14-2011, 01:22 PM
I keep on insisting that for this team, this league he can be a true 10, he needs to be in midle. Provided that we have the players to fill the other positions.

He probably could be but you don't actually need a number 10 in the center of the park. A DM paired with a couple of two way central midfielders also works, as the most of the attacking spark comes from the flanks.

markus
04-14-2011, 01:50 PM
I thought it wasn't a great game, but i can't complain given that santos and Gordon were both out. Honestly those two not being there was probably the difference in what could have been a goal or at least a better chance or two.

I was pretty impressed with Gargan's play given how bad he looked in the earlier games. Honestly, he wasn't all that bad and actually had a couple of nice tackles in some key situations.

Stevanovic really needs to learn how to pass. I'd say in general he just holds on the the ball wayyy too long. Also i don't know if i'm the only one that thinks this... but can he maybe try a little harder to not act like he gets shot every time someone fouls him? It seems like every game he sufferes a season ending injury by the way he goes down and rolls around. I'm not trying to hate on the guy, i think he's technically the best player on our squad. he's up there. There's just a few things i could see him do without.

Agree...

Mikey
04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
That's the bigger issue.

2007 - 1W 10L 4D
2008 - 3W 11L 1D
2009 - 2W 8L 5D
2010 - 3W 10L 2D

Never more than 11 points out of a potential 45.....?
Fuck thats grim.

trane
04-14-2011, 02:16 PM

That would solve out RB problem, but create one for the Rossoneri.

DichioTFC
04-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Agree 1000%.

JDG has NEVER in his career been a scorer...the few times he's been pushed forward it was obvious that he has absolutely no finishing touches...

I wouldn't push JDG up as AM for goalscoring. I would push him up to be a play-maker with the two wingers and the CF. If he can tackle and disperse the ball in the final third, we'd have more chances.

trane
04-14-2011, 02:19 PM
He probably could be but you don't actually need a number 10 in the center of the park. A DM paired with a couple of two way central midfielders also works, as the most of the attacking spark comes from the flanks.

But we are ussing, and I agree that we should, two DMs with one CM, who becomes one of the pivotal players in the system.

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2011, 02:22 PM
BTW, I was talking to a STH in my section yesterday who is Italian, and he told me that Gattuso's brother lives in T.O., and that he has quietly expressed interest in playing for TFC when he's done with AC Milan. If that happens, it would be great for our club, and he'll probably end up killing a ref like Toledo on the pitch, LOL.

trane
04-14-2011, 02:22 PM
That's the bigger issue.

2007 - 1W 10L 4D
2008 - 3W 11L 1D
2009 - 2W 8L 5D
2010 - 3W 10L 2D

I hope that we will be able to get at least 20 points on the road. 5 wins, 5 draws, 20 points. It seems reasonable.

trane
04-14-2011, 02:28 PM
BTW, I was talking to a STH in my section yesterday who is Italian, and he told me that Gattuso's brother lives in T.O., and that he has quietly expressed interest in playing for TFC when he's done with AC Milan. If that happens, it would be great for our club, and he'll probably end up killing a ref like Toledo on the pitch, LOL.

Gattuso, was going to Russia, but the deal was stopped. In his day he was the top DM in the world, and he is back in great form, but I do not see it happening.