PDA

View Full Version : Attendance tonight vs Galaxy?

mastermixer
04-13-2011, 08:04 AM
I know there is a lot of talk on here about attendance and the potential of how bad it could get. With Beckham here and all over the news last night, I think this game is a good test to see if the fringe fanbase is still interested in TFC. Weather will also be nice so that should not be a factor.
DC United managed to get 27000 people against the Galaxy on Saturday night, you would think we could pack the house like the good old days. :scarf:

bdiddy
04-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Personally I doubt it - it's not a nice summer day, its a weekday night, its an 8pm start... there's going to be between a +7 and +4 in terms of weather (so it will be cold), considering it by the lake, it'll be a bit windy....

All in all, great soccer weather - but not the super nice summer weather that many want to come to games,

I know I'll be there, but it seems like there's a lot of seats available.

TFC/Everton
04-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Donovan and Beckham. Should be sold out

DangerRed
04-13-2011, 09:15 AM

On a weeknight? In cold weather? With an 8 pm start?

No.

SuperTCP
04-13-2011, 09:15 AM
The Cloudy day may keep away the fairweather fans. I know 6 people, all newbies, bought tickets to this game. So it may draw some new fans too.

mastermixer
04-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Weather doesnt look too bad. Clear and 9 degrees at kickoff. Prob a little cooler near the lake though.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/hourlyfx/caon0696/hourlygraph/1?ref=qlink_st_hourly

TFC/Everton
04-13-2011, 09:25 AM

No.

Either way I will be :drinking:

ManUtd4ever
04-13-2011, 09:27 AM
I predict approximately 18,000 in attendance, with the north stand being noticeably empty yet again.

jabbronies
04-13-2011, 09:28 AM
I hope the fucking fog rolls in...that shit usually gets us going!

Pachuco
04-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Oh come on, the weather isn't what's holding people back at this point. There's been tickets available on ticketmaster for this game for weeks. I still remember how much tickets for the Beckham game were going for season 1 before we knew Beckham wasn't going to play. It was insane. People would've come to that game if it was -20.

Yagbod
04-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Plus King Lebron is in town tonight. Just to throw a wrench into it.

That being said, there are a couple dozen casuals at my office who are going, who wouldn't otherwise be going.

ManUtd4ever
04-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Meh, front office fucked up, they know it, and hopefully they will address the excessive ticket price issue beyond next season. I appreciate everything RPB and the other supporter groups did to establish a season's ticket price freeze for the time being.

In the interim, if TFC continues to improve and has a respectable season, I think the revised schedule at home with all the Saturday night games this summer will still provide a rocking atmosphere at BMO Field.

flamehawk
04-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Ya, it's too bad the pricing is so idiotic.

I would've gone to this game if tickets were $15ish, below $20. But as my budget is a little tight, I can't go to every game.

MLSE better wake up.

Section 117
04-13-2011, 10:24 AM
On a side note. I just wish BMO will rock like it use too...

Hopefully Beckham's appearance will help bring the noise as so far season V has been quite quiet compared to years past

drexel10
04-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Hopefully Beckham's appearance will help bring the noise as so far season V has been quite quiet compared to years past

a night game tends to bring out a louder crowd even without Beckham.

jabbronies
04-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Just make sure everyone tell their "casual" friends to show up before the anthem

joel
04-13-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm back in town from NYC, lucky I can still login to account manager to use the ticket exchange even though I don't have seasons anymore. Looking forward to getting drunk at BMO again :p

mdc 77
04-13-2011, 10:54 AM
This thread sounds like its from the Blue Jays message board. Pack it like the old days? Yes attendance is down, however BMO in the few home games this year has been at least at 77% capacity. Lets not get carried away, currently attendance is not a major problem and you probably won't see many empty seats tonight.

doublec
04-13-2011, 10:59 AM
how many beckham jerseys this time around?

Section 117
04-13-2011, 11:41 AM
My point is more towards how quiet it has been this year compared to years past that is all

Mark in Ottawa
04-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Don't the hockey playoffs start tonight?
That will siphon off many of the "casual" fans.

joel
04-13-2011, 11:47 AM
My point is more towards how quiet it has been this year compared to years past that is all

No surprise here, you get tired of cheering for losers, it happens everywhere. If you have 50 years of history with some success in the past it matters less, but 4 years of losing is not very motivational.

Anyway hopefully they win more games this year.

denime
04-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Sell out 22K

rocker
04-13-2011, 11:57 AM
This thread sounds like its from the Blue Jays message board. Pack it like the old days? Yes attendance is down, however BMO in the few home games this year has been at least at 77% capacity. Lets not get carried away, currently attendance is not a major problem and you probably won't see many empty seats tonight.

Yeah, I agree. I'm a little tired of the constant attention attendance numbers get. Even when we had a reported full house in games in 2007, there were people wondering if the number was real or fake. I think for some people attendance counts are like penis size. Something to brag about.

TFC will always have a good attendance in comparison to the league -- we'll never be like Columbus. And the break even point for the original stadium budget is 14000. People need to stop worrying about attendance. TFC is here to stay.

And if this team ever finishes with a winning record and makes the playoffs, things will be up.

menefreghista
04-13-2011, 12:00 PM
There is nothing more annoying than the thread police. If you don't like a thread topic nobody is forcing you to read it or join the discussion.

That being said, this game may not be a sell out (still tickets available on ticketbastard) but it will most likely be the highest attended game of the season.

ryan
04-13-2011, 12:02 PM
We're going to have decent weather and LA is a good draw.

The team is playing decent and there's optimism beyond the DeRo trade with consecutive draws/goals in the games that followed.

I wager we break 20K....well an announced 20K. :D

rocker
04-13-2011, 12:02 PM
There is nothing more annoying than the thread police. If you don't like a thread topic nobody is forcing you to read it or join the discussion..

There's nothing more annoying that people telling those who have differing opinions not to read the thread or post in it.

Unless you want "yes men" replying.

I didn't realize having a difference of opinion is "thread police."

Mark in Ottawa
04-13-2011, 12:03 PM
That being said, this game may not be a sell out (still tickets available on ticketbastard) but it will most likely be the highest attended game of the season.
As long as the scalpers don't manage to convince people to pay exhorbitant prices tonight I will be happy!

menefreghista
04-13-2011, 12:05 PM
There's nothing more annoying that people telling those who have differing opinions not to read the thread or post in it.

Unless you want "yes men" replying.

I didn't realize having a difference of opinion is "thread police."

Its kind of ironic to see you of all people talking about yes men.

Having a difference of opinion is one thing and I have no problem with that, but that is a totally different issue. The continual whining that this or that thread should be closed is fucking annoying as hell.

ExiledRed
04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Its kind of ironic to see you of all people talking about yes men.

zooooooooom!

Having a difference of opinion is one thing and I have no problem with that, but that is a totally different issue. The continual whining that this or that thread should be closed is fucking annoying as hell.

exactly. Somebody makes a thread about scarves, and people come in demanding that they stop talking about scarves and focus on the game, When really they should just stay the fuck out of the thread they arent interested in, and post in the game threads instead.

mdc 77
04-13-2011, 12:23 PM
So you should only post in threads that you agree with the op? or that you are interested in? or only interested in but agree with the op?

I was interested, and have an oppostite view on the topic of attendance from the op. I offered my opinion and thought I did so without insult...don't see anything wrong with that.

Attendance @ BMO isn't the only thing that has changed since 2007.

menefreghista
04-13-2011, 12:29 PM
exactly. Somebody makes a thread about scarves, and people come in demanding that they stop talking about scarves and focus on the game, When really they should just stay the fuck out of the thread they arent interested in, and post in the game threads instead.

I apologize for going off topic. Just had to vent some frustration.

The comment was actually meant for another thread. Its just getting tiring.

2mil4dero+santo
04-13-2011, 12:37 PM
zooooooooom!

I couldn't agree more... lots of threads on here guys... lets remember the purpose of this board - to discuss... as long as people don't contravene the board rules, they're not doing anything wrong...

2mil4dero+santo
04-13-2011, 12:40 PM
dont care what the attendance is. I like it when theres less people, more room to move around, less lineups, my ticket prices may go down, no wannabees around me... win win...

bones
04-13-2011, 12:41 PM
If the ticket exchange is any indication as to the attendance, there are well over 120 tickets being offered on the exchange which is a bit higher than I've seen in the recent past. Guess we'll have to see.

Sorry to talk about the topic.

Bones...

Wull
04-13-2011, 12:44 PM
I for one will be happy to see the place filled with girls dressed to the 9s tonight as is normal for a game against LA. Such a pity it isn't a warm summer's day!

Pachuco
04-13-2011, 12:48 PM

I disagree. It's not just about attendance being down, it's quite obvious that demand is down significantly. Demand is a major problem when I'm paying a shit load of money for dark grey seats and I have to offer 2-1 deals in order to get "some" money for the games I can't go to.

So yes, this is a major problem for me. With a 9 month old I can't go to every game and my wife can only go to half of them. I already told my ticket rep if I get stuck with tickets again as was happening last year I'm done renewing unless I see a good price drop in seasons tickets for next year.

maninb
04-13-2011, 12:52 PM

You can be damn sure that dropping from 95% to 77% has got the SUITS attention! It IS A MAJOR problem...if they don't drop ticket prices you could see 60-65% capacity next year....

ManUtd4ever
04-13-2011, 01:12 PM
I think MLSE will realize that TFC supporters will not tolerate paying exorbitant prices for a second class product. I'm not even referring to TFC in particular, I'm referring to MLS. The quality of the league has improved dramatically in the last several years, but the pricing structure is the most expensive in the league, and on par with some of the most successful European clubs in the world. It's absolutely ludicrous outside the supporters sections.

I would think that selling out the stadium based on the 2007 pricing structure would be more profitable than averaging 75 percent capacity at the current price point, if you consider concessions and the marketability of the game day experience.

JavierMartini
04-13-2011, 01:36 PM
it wont be full, yet i wont be able to find tickets at a good price....

nfitz
04-13-2011, 01:37 PM
it wont be full, yet i wont be able to find tickets at a good price....There were pairs of yellow and light-grey on Ticketmaster this morning - that they must have released this morning. I haven't checked this afternoon though. There was nothing better than light-blue pairs earlier this week.

Inklink
04-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Attendance will be higher than the number of people who tune in to watch on GOL-fking-TV.

Parkdale
04-13-2011, 01:43 PM

the cheers after goals are much quieter too.

It used to be that you could hear the cheer up at Joe's on the patio.
People would stom on the metal and scream their lungs out.
Maybe it means less now?

JavierMartini
04-13-2011, 01:43 PM
There were pairs of yellow and light-grey on Ticketmaster this morning - that they must have released this morning. I haven't checked this afternoon though. There was nothing better than light-blue pairs earlier this week.

they are gone, the best ripoff master has is their garbage plastic chairs above 117 @ 41$ ...... what a joke.

ryan
04-13-2011, 01:48 PM
they are gone, the best ripoff master has is their garbage plastic chairs above 117 @ 41$ ...... what a joke.

Those seats are FORTY-ONE DOLLARS?

:picard:

Is ANY seat worth that much? NO!!!!!!!

I can understand being charged more than equal skill levels in Europe because it's the best we have here and blah blah blah. But that's just stupid.

Dreadlocks
04-13-2011, 01:54 PM
...Back on topic!

I'm predicting 18-19K (asses in seats)

menefreghista
04-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Those seats are FORTY-ONE DOLLARS?

They are actually $50 with the ticketbastard charges.

drexel10
04-13-2011, 01:57 PM
...Back on topic!

Is that throughout, or any given time. LOL! We have 10-20% that show up late and leave early and then another 10-15% that are not at their seats any given time. But hey, this happened at Disney on Ice, so it seems to just be a Toronto thing.

menefreghista
04-13-2011, 01:58 PM
...Back on topic!

I think that's about it, but with an announced attendance over 21,000.

JavierMartini
04-13-2011, 01:59 PM
They are actually $50 with the ticketbastard charges.
the last epl game i attended was at craven cottage, @ 15 pounds

Cashcleaner
04-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I agree. I'm a little tired of the constant attention attendance numbers get. Even when we had a reported full house in games in 2007, there were people wondering if the number was real or fake. I think for some people attendance counts are like penis size. Something to brag about.

TFC will always have a good attendance in comparison to the league -- we'll never be like Columbus. And the break even point for the original stadium budget is 14000. People need to stop worrying about attendance. TFC is here to stay.

And if this team ever finishes with a winning record and makes the playoffs, things will be up.

Hear hear! Attendance numbers that we fret over (say around 17 or 18 thousand) are the sorts of crowd half the league wish they could get through the gates.

I totally agree that the stadium is quieter and we're not getting the crowds we are used to, but I wouldn't look too much into it just yet. I bet if we have a good mid-season run, the people will start coming back and we'll be left complaining about them for not knowing the words to our songs or something like that.

jvanpeebles
04-13-2011, 02:48 PM
am gonna say 15000.

shwade
04-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Are we supposed to be proud of the fact that we average more than Columbus?
We have a higher standard than them and most of the league so we have to keep the comparisons to TFC year 1, 2, 3 and 4 which would tell us that we (or MLSE) do have something to worry about when it comes to maintaining the thing that we are most proud of, which is the gameday experience.

Dreadlocks
04-13-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm not really worried......Bad product = Bad attendance (after the honeymoon period)

Good product = Good attendance.

ricciboy
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
this might sound stupid

but If i decide to bring a flag to the game and i dont have a ticket in the supporters section will it be taken away?

69Chevy396
04-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Attendance would be higher if the local GTA media were not so brainwashed by hockey, basketball and baseball at this time of year. TFC is already more popular in Toronto than the raptors, but you would never know it watching CTV or CBC news, or read any of the local print media. CFRB rarely mentions MLS in their radio broadcasts, but they report the scores of every fucking baseball or basketball game. Even hockey, yes it is hockey, and this is Canada, but shouldn't the only half decent pro team in the city garner more attention than two southern US NHL teams in a meaningless playoff game? In addition, it would be good for the media to mention other MLS scores, on a regular basis, to raise the profile of the league: every club needs an adversary, an opponent that we all hate and want to beat. Toronto media only reports stories on Beckham or the new Vancouver team. I suppose I should not be surprised, the gta media, like that south of the border, thinks soccer in general is an afterthought: try to catch news about today's Champions League games, good luck if you find it.....this, in my opinion, is part of the problem MLS gets no attention and no respect.

Petor
04-13-2011, 03:57 PM
I predict at least one, me! :D

boban
04-13-2011, 04:21 PM

No.
8pm makes it a sellout. Can't stand any kind of game that starts at 7PM .. or 7:30 for that matter.

flatpicker
04-13-2011, 04:23 PM
I predict 30-35,000 at the game tonight.
Of course, I'm worth about 15,000 people alone.
Yup, I'm that special.

Whoop
04-13-2011, 04:28 PM
^^
That's not healthy flats.

http://slurmed.com/wall/178/178_fat-human-bender-wally_1280.jpg

Jeffro
04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
I predict that any empty seats in the stadium will fail to affect my gameday experience.

Pookie
04-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Bigger question is why the heck aren't the people that are going, in their seats at kickoff?

billyfly
04-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Game was announced as 22,000 and SOLD OUT. It looked full.

Whoop
04-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Yeah, never seen the north stand as full as it was tonight.

Red CB Toronto
04-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Great crowd, it was rammed, sat in the north stand for the first time tonight and it was a good view for sure, did not notice any real empty spots in the stands. Also had a great view of Becks free kick when he bent it right around the wall and it just caught the post.

tfcmanu
04-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Announced crowd 22,400 SOLD OUT and more...... loved all the beautiful ladies in the crowd...The stadium was rammed just like the good old times.:flare:

Lennon
04-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Pleasantly surprised with the crowd tonight.
Kind of a shame that Plata couldn't flick it into the corner to send all those people home happy ..

MG42
04-13-2011, 11:54 PM
WE DID IT!!!

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/tfc_Beirne.jpg

ilikemusic
04-14-2011, 12:42 AM
A full house?

Tickets are clearly underpriced!

Brooker
04-14-2011, 12:44 AM
now let's go fucking mental saturday! 3 points.

MartinUtd
04-14-2011, 12:45 AM
WE DID IT!!!

LOL well played

GBV
04-14-2011, 06:16 AM
WE DID IT!!!

:):)

Oldtimer
04-14-2011, 07:21 AM
So many people were wrong.... estimates as low as 15,000.

Sometimes the negativity on this board can cloud one's reasoning.

There were plenty of Beckham fans there, including 2 guys in the scalper seats behind me screaming for Beckham to score. I politely informed them that they were in the wrong section...

Pookie
04-14-2011, 07:24 AM
A full house?

What a silly argument.

So, if full house = good ticket pricing strategy... what do all the empty seats for the rest of the games mean?

C.Ronaldo
04-14-2011, 09:17 AM
^ i think it was sarcasm

Beckham clearly still has the star power and can bend it around Peggy's mom (married ith children reference) to score almost at will

London
04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
atmosphere was just weird last night, lets look forward to saturday

nobodybeatsthewiz
04-14-2011, 09:33 AM
atmosphere was just weird last night, lets look forward to saturday

thats what happens when you let mancs en masse into a public place. youre right, best move on from it.

Pachuco
04-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Agreed on the atmosphere being weird. The stadium may have been full, but at times I heard Stevanovic calling for the ball from where I sit. That's the first time in 5 years at BMO that I actually heard players calling for the ball.

ManUtd4ever
04-14-2011, 09:36 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to see the stadium sold out last night on a chilly weeknight, but it was an anomaly because Goldenballs is still a draw. Front office still needs to get their act together if last night's attendance is to once again become the norm as opposed to the exception.

Red CB Toronto
04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
It was great to see BMO rammed to the rafters As much as we all love the Reds, Becks is an international icon that will draw in the masses every time, it is was it is. Now bring on the United.

Pookie
04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
^ i think it was sarcasm

It would make a lot more sense if it was

drexel10
04-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Last night was a rare night, in that people were in their seats for the national anthems. I think in 5 years that might be 1 of the 5 times I have seen that many in their seats prior to kick off.

rocker
04-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Last night was a rare night, in that people were in their seats for the national anthems. I think in 5 years that might be 1 of the 5 times I have seen that many in their seats prior to kick off.

ya my section was packed with people @ 7:40.... highly unusual...

Becks was warming up right in front of that area.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Packed to rafters! The vibe was awesome, I was in 120 and we boo'ed the shit out of becks on the corner!

Ageroo
04-14-2011, 09:58 AM

It was weird...I was coming through the tunnel to 115 when the anthems were about to start and I was astonished when I stopped for the anthems and looked around the stadium and saw so many people already there....but of course as stated...the Beckham factor played a major role. Let's just hope this turns into the norm for the season.

Fort York Redcoat
04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
WE DID IT!!!

A full house?

Packed house. Great atmosphere. If only someone could look at this in a negative light.:rolleyes:

mar1960
04-14-2011, 01:30 PM
great to see full stadium and nice to see everyone in their seats for the anthems

Alonso
04-14-2011, 05:57 PM

Was this a Beckham effect or an 8pm start effect... or both?

MG42
04-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Packed house. Great atmosphere. If only someone could look at this in a negative light.:rolleyes:

Or have a sense of humour :rolleyes:

Blowing Bubbles
04-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Was this a Beckham effect or an 8pm start effect... or both?

It's Beckham. Hopefully ppl can fuck off with blaming the GO schedule for the reason nobody is in their seats at the start of the game ......