PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Sunday,Apr.10

denime
04-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Good Morning,

TFC TV Post Game Interviews (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Reds earn result on road (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2011/04/10/17937661.html)

Road Point To The Reds (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/road-point-reds)

Toronto's adjustments pay off at San Jose (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/torontos-adjustments-pay-san-jose)

Toronto FC plays to a draw in San Jose (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/04/09/sp-tfc-sj.html)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2cmn0gn.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/23lk3tk.jpg

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Oldtimer
04-10-2011, 07:15 AM
In a playoff spot!

It's very early, but good to see.

Heathen
04-10-2011, 07:19 AM
look at the chin on the SSG, got a half-moon face

Huyton
04-10-2011, 07:26 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/dl-trans/image_nodes/2011/04/Gordon.jpg (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/road-point-reds)

And the caption read:
Gorodon's goal earns TFC a 1-1 away draw

Be nice if they could spell their GORDON's name correctly!

Ageroo
04-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Well....i am happy that when JDG entered the match the team seemed to play a bit better tactically.....and I love Gordon's assessment of him...:)

“I think that [de Guzman] changed the game,” Gordon said. “His ability to control the midfield and drive possession was vital.”
As a holding midfielder, de Guzman’s skills are not always appreciated by the casual fan. Additionally, Gordon said, de Guzman’s big contract clouds people’s perception of him.
“When guys see the big money, they tend to want the player to score a lot of goals and to be creative offensively,” Gordon said. “That’s not the role of a holding midfielder, but what he does out there is so important.”

And very Happy they are taking their time with him before they plop him in for 90 minutes.

De Guzman said that he was happy with his play, but he was even happier by the way that his injured knee responded.
“It was good,” he said. “It’s another 45 minutes and it helps with the confidence. What’s more important is there was no pain.”
The Canadian international suggested that he would be fully match fit by the end of the month. In the meantime, Toronto will continue to work him into the lineup whenever possible.
“Julian is a good player,” Winter said. “But in this league, you have to be careful. He’s come a long way. We have to go slowly.”

ensco
04-10-2011, 08:30 AM
This story is only starting to get national attention 10 days after it happened. Imagine what the coverage of it would be like, if it had happened at a soccer game

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/sports/baseball/10dodgers.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=dodger%20stadium&st=cse

sidvan
04-10-2011, 08:37 AM
This story is only starting to get national attention 10 days after it happened. Imagine what the coverage of it would be like, if it had happened at a soccer game

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/sports/baseball/10dodgers.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=dodger%20stadium&st=cse

good thing it didn't happen in Columbus

ManUtd4ever
04-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Well....i am happy that when JDG entered the match the team seemed to play a bit better tactically.....and I love Gordon's assessment of him...:)

And very Happy they are taking their time with him before they plop him in for 90 minutes.

I agree with Gordon's analysis as well. Although he has only been here for 3 games, he already seems to be a great addition on and off the pitch. Based on the few interviews I've watched with him, he is a good example of a character guy in the locker room.

rocker
04-10-2011, 08:53 AM
ok, TFC has 6 goals in 4 games... NY has 2 goals in 4 games. hmmm. is that Henry fellow still playing the bulls?

boban
04-10-2011, 08:54 AM
ok, TFC has 6 goals in 4 games... NY has 2 goals in 4 games. hmmm. is that Henry fellow still playing the bulls?
oooookaaaaaaaaay! :rolleyes:

rocker
04-10-2011, 09:00 AM
oooookaaaaaaaaay! :rolleyes:

uhh, do you have a point?

Alan Gordon has more goals this season than Thierry Henry. Hilarious!

Maybe Henry should start using his hands in addition to his feet.

ManUtd4ever
04-10-2011, 09:04 AM

Henry is not in form yet. I watched some of the NY-PHI game last night, and while NY dominated the first half and hit 2 posts and a cross bar, it was Marquez, Lindpere, DeRo, and Agudelo that looked dangerous. Henry was very slow to react and flubbed a couple of chances just outside the box. Henry should be eating MLS defenders for breakfast, but perhaps at his age he is having trouble adjusting to the North American style of play.

boban
04-10-2011, 09:04 AM
uhh, do you have a point?

Alan Gordon has more goals this season than Thierry Henry. Hilarious!

Maybe Henry should start using his hands in addition to his feet.
My point is you infer Henry goal scoring is NY goal scoring and vice versa. It isn't, although Henry can influence team goalscoring, it silly to infer the lack of NYRB goal scoring is all on Henry. It's a team game so its more likely the team is not meshing offensively for whatever reason.

Btw, Alan Gordon has more goals this season than Dero. Hilarious!

Pigfynn
04-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Henry is not in form yet. I watched some of the NY-PHI game last night, and while NY dominated the first half and hit 2 posts and a cross bar, it was Marquez, Lindpere, DeRo, and Agudelo that looked dangerous. Henry was very slow to react and flubbed a couple of chances just outside the box. Henry should be eating MLS defenders for breakfast, but perhaps at his age he is having trouble adjusting to the North American style of play.

I'm still waiting to hear from all the people on this board who said that "Henry, if he comes here man..he's goona fucking tear this league apart man!" and "Henry will destroy the scoring record in MLS"

2 goals in 15 games.

You have to try here too buddy, sorry it hasn't been the vacation you were looking for.

[NBF]
04-10-2011, 09:10 AM
As far NYRB goes, I watched about 20 mins of the second half last night and I thought I saw alot of running and no control of the ball by the players.

They really gotta slow down the game.

I also noted that their seemed to be a lack of effort by the north american players compared to the two former Barca guys. Its almost as if they were all winded by the 55 minute. Very typical of North American players. (ie. Jozy Altidore)

Henry, he was tracking the ball all the way back to the goalkeeper it seemed. Marquez, he was doing the opposite, he was moving up the ball to the "strikers", but like I said, they were horrible controlling the ball going forward. DeRosario, he was playing more of a central midfielder role, but he kept getting lapped going backwards on defense by Henry. They dont seemed to be gel-ling yet, due to injuries, but if they keep playing like that they will definitely go out looking for guys at the transfer window.

rocker
04-10-2011, 09:11 AM
My point is you infer Henry goal scoring is NY goal scoring and vice versa. It isn't, although Henry can influence team goalscoring, it silly to infer the lack of NYRB goal scoring is all on Henry. It's a team game so its more likely the team is not meshing offensively for whatever reason.!

Thanks for the explanation.
Why don't you explain yourself like that in full sentences more often? It's wonderful instead of the sarcastic "Okaaaayyyy".

Anyways, Thierry Henry looked like shit against Philly and fans are starting to get pissed off. When you pay millions to a striker of his calibre, you better get goals.

If TFC signed a player of that scoring calibre and Alan Gordon was outscoring him, people would be pretty pissed off. But somehow he gets a break because "the team is not meshing." Right. Maybe his passes to Philly defenders last night were not his problem.

ManUtd4ever
04-10-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm still waiting to hear from all the people on this board who said that "Henry, if he comes here man..he's goona fucking tear this league apart man!" "Henry will destroy the scoring record in MLS"

2 goals in 15 games.

You have to try here too buddy, sorry it hasn't been the vaction you were looking for.

Maybe it's ongoing injury concerns, maybe it's lack of effort, but he is on track to be the biggest flop in MLS history if he doesn't snap out of it.

Detroit_TFC
04-10-2011, 09:22 AM
The Philly-RBNY game was shocking. The RB played like we did in our preseason games when we were doing the "build from the back" drills. They had tons of possession and absolutely no creativity in the final third.

v00d00daddy
04-10-2011, 09:22 AM

That's really gross. A similar story could have come out about the Jays home opener. There were several fights in the 500's but it's been almost completely ignored by the Toronto media.

Had that happened at BMO the hooligan label would have been applied several times over by now.

What can you do? North American sports coverage I guess.

boban
04-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the explanation.
Why don't you explain yourself like that in full sentences more often? It's wonderful instead of the sarcastic "Okaaaayyyy".

Well you come on here professing you know everything about the game and dis everyone else's view and passion for it. You come across that your view is the only view and you are right all the time - despite how many times you contradict yourself.. Sometimes your response because of that don't deserve anything but the obligatory 'OKaaaayyyy".

Anyways, Thierry Henry looked like shit against Philly and fans are starting to get pissed off. When you pay millions to a striker of his calibre, you better get goals.

If TFC signed a player of that scoring calibre and Alan Gordon was outscoring him, people would be pretty pissed off. But somehow he gets a break because "the team is not meshing." Right. Maybe his passes to Philly defenders last night were not his problem.
I never said he should get a free pass. He was injured last year, so I am only looking at this year. He does need to pick it up, but he is not the only offensive guy on the team.

BS1327
04-10-2011, 09:42 AM
^^I wouldn't say it was ignored at the Jays game, but there was just a couple fights, dealt with, everything's fine now. No serious injuries.

The San Fran guy is still in a coma and possible brain damage. I heard this story a few days ago, but it's only picking up now cause they're trying to capture the two men responsible.

stoked
04-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Alan Gordon for Captain...Not because of his goals, but because of his demeanour.

Ultra & Proud
04-10-2011, 10:39 AM

By the time old Terry rounds into form his contract will be up and he'll be sailing off into the sunset. He will end up being NYRB's higher paid and bigger named Mista.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-10-2011, 10:50 AM
gotta say terrys been pretty lackluster so far (both last season and this)

ryan
04-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Those standings are incorrect. We're actually in 3rd place in the East.

Just sayin. :)

Huyton
04-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Eastern Conference

...Club.PTS.GP.W.L.T.GF.GA.GD
.1 PhiU...9..4.3.1.0..3..1.+2
.2 NER....6..5.1.1.3..5..6.-1
.3 TFC....5..4.1.1.2..6..6..0
.4 CoCr...5..4.1.1.2..3..3..0
.5 NYRB...5..4.1.1.2..2..2..0
.6 SKC....4..3.1.1.1..8..8..0
.7 ChiF...4..3.1.1.1..5..5..0
.8 DCUn...4..4.1.2.1..6..8.-2
.9 HoDy...2..3.0.1.2..2..3.-1

Western Conference

.1 RSL....9..3.3.0.0..7..1.+6
.2 CoRa...9..4.3.1.0..8..5.+3
.3 LAGa...8..5.2.1.2..5..6.-1
.4 VaWh...5..4.1.1.2..8..7.+1
.5 SJE....5..4.1.1.2..5..4.+1
.6 SSFC...5..5.1.2.2..5..6.-1
.7 FCD....4..4.1.2.1..4..5.-1
.8 Chiv...2..4.0.2.2..3..5.-2
.9 PTim...1..3.0.2.1..2..6.-4

Combined
.1 RSL....9..3.3.0.0..7..1.+6
.2 CoRa...9..4.3.1.0..8..5.+3
.3 PhiU...9..4.3.1.0..3..1.+2
.4 LAGa...8..5.2.1.2..5..6.-1
.5 NER....6..5.1.1.3..5..6.-1
.6 VaWh...5..4.1.1.2..8..7.+1
.7 SJE....5..4.1.1.2..5..4.+1
.8 TFC....5..4.1.1.2..6..6..0
.9 CoCr...5..4.1.1.2..3..3..0
10 NYRB...5..4.1.1.2..2..2..0
11 SSFC...5..5.1.2.2..5..6.-1
12 SKC....4..3.1.1.1..8..8..0
13 ChiF...4..3.1.1.1..5..5..0
14 FCD....4..4.1.2.1..4..5.-1
15 DCUn...4..4.1.2.1..6..8.-2
16 HoDy...2..3.0.1.2..2..3.-1
17 Chiv...2..4.0.2.2..3..5.-2
18 PTim...1..3.0.2.1..2..6.-4

TFCRegina
04-10-2011, 12:24 PM
This just in...the Toronto Sun is reporting that San Jose had 58% possession, TFC had 43% possession...for a grand total of 101% possession!

Jack
04-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Watching the NY/PU game last night, Rafa Marquez was the best player on the pitch by far. Henry looks lost and disinterested. Hopefully he'll pick it up because at the moment he is not worth the money. I drool at the thought of Marquez in a TFC jersey. Service, hard work, awareness and he can actually lead the attack from the backline like few others.

Huyton
04-10-2011, 01:24 PM
This just in...the Toronto Sun is reporting that San Jose had 58% possession, TFC had 43% possession...for a grand total of 101% possession!

A couple of minutes of extra time?

A couple of players giving 110%?

TFCRegina
04-10-2011, 01:26 PM
A couple of minutes of extra time?

A couple of players giving 110%?

Maybe SJ got credit for kicking the ball around between halves.

Darlofletch
04-10-2011, 02:17 PM
another game review here. (http://www.wakingthered.com/2011/4/10/2102294/san-jose-earthquakes-1-1-toronto-fc-not-bad-at-all)

cann, tchani, stevanovic, borman, gordon. lot of positives to take from that game.

Darlofletch
04-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Alan Gordon for Captain...Not because of his goals, but because of his demeanour.

agreed, he looks good out there, character/leadership wise.

sidvan
04-10-2011, 02:28 PM
That's really gross. A similar story could have come out about the Jays home opener. There were several fights in the 500's but it's been almost completely ignored by the Toronto media.

Had that happened at BMO the hooligan label would have been applied several times over by now.

What can you do? North American sports coverage I guess.

yes but they got locker room access!

TFCRegina
04-10-2011, 02:31 PM
RNO Article on the Match
http://www.rednationonline.ca/TFCimpressiveagainstSanJose.aspx

Waggy
04-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Late to the party but the medic getting almost beaten to death in LA has been national news since the day it happend. It was the lead story on CNN the day after it happened. It's disgusting.

And Voodoodady, yes people were drunk at the Jays game but I can't imagine any twins fan EVER felt threatened. And to compare a drunken brawl to a guy being targeting and almost beaten to death for wearing another teams hat are TOTALLY different. It's not even apples and oranges. It's apples and chickens.

TFCRegina
04-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Late to the party but the medic getting almost beaten to death in LA has been national news since the day it happend. It was the lead story on CNN the day after it happened. It's disgusting.

And Voodoodady, yes people were drunk at the Jays game but I can't imagine any twins fan EVER felt threatened. And to compare a drunken brawl to a guy being targeting and almost beaten to death for wearing another teams hat are TOTALLY different. It's not even apples and oranges. It's apples and chickens.

But everything tastes like chicken...

ensco
04-10-2011, 06:49 PM

This story has been virtually ignored by the mainstream sports media in the US (particularly ESPN, but also the sports sections of the major dailies), who have not treated it like anything close to the lead story (until the Times did, today).

For ESPN it's especially outrageous...it's been relegated to the columnists on their website, one night ESPN did a panel discussion on it late in Sportscenter (again treating it as a sort of opinion piece issue)....if it were soccer, or any sport they hadn't spent billions for the rights for, they'd be playing it big, every night.

It's a kind of corruption that's so pervasive, it makes you want to give up.

sidvan
04-10-2011, 07:01 PM
But everything tastes like chicken...

or chicken tastes like everything else