PDA

View Full Version : World Soccer Daily gives a 'shout out' to BMO Field

ilikemusic
07-03-2008, 02:46 AM
If you listen to the July 2nd editon of the World Soccer Daily podcast they mention they watched the highlights for the Tor-Van match and they said they were the best highlights for a 1-0 game they'd ever seen. Obviously quite the overstatement but what they were really commenting on was the atmosphere. They said that BMO Field is without a doubt the best atmosphere in North America and that they cant wait to get up here for a match.

:canada:

akoto
07-03-2008, 07:32 AM
I love this show! I've said it earlier and will say it again "Best Footy Show in North America!". Missed the episode but will download the podcast. Great to hear.

TFCREDNWHITE
07-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Can someone post a link please

SilverSamurai
07-03-2008, 07:56 AM
I have to say that it was probably the best supporters atmosphere I've seen.
You guys were nice and clear. Made me wish even more that I was there.

akoto
07-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Can someone post a link please

http://www.worldsoccerdaily.com

or search for it in itunes or your fav podcast program.

RealG-TFC
07-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Why do people refuse to accept Mexico as North America?

Steve
07-03-2008, 09:15 AM

Because Canada and the USA are much more alike than either is with Mexico. From culture to economy (the Canadian and American GDP per capita is fairly close, both are about 5x Mexico) the two countries are just very similar. It thus makes sense to refer to them as a collection, while excluding Mexico. Since North America by definition includes Mexico, the appropriate term would be Northern America (, but most people will still use North America to exclude Mexico.

Blazer
07-03-2008, 10:51 AM

I don't think they refuse it rather forget to remember it simply because culturally the USA & Canada are very similar, almost identical really. Mexico shares a much more Latin American tradition. Mexico is also second/ third world.

Boris
07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Mexico shares a much more Latin American tradition. Mexico is also second/ third world.

second world???? i think not...The term "Second World" is a phrase that was used to describe Communist states.......
and mexico city is far from being third world...and a lot of other cities for that matter....

and if some areas of mexico ARE 'third world' does that mean they dont count as north america because they dont look nice enough?

anyways... back to topic...

Fort York Redcoat
07-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't buy it. Mexico acts and feels unlike it's neighbors to the North. It's a common mistake to make. When talking sports Mexico and everyone south of them look at futbol differently (to their credit ). It's the reason Mexican teams have been included in South American tourneys for years. It's a slip up but in this case (sportswise, not politically) it's practically a compliment not lumping Mexico's sports landscape in with our (Can+Us) sports potpourri.

I watched the last America/Chivas just on tv while I was on vacation down there. Next time I'll plan better and get to Azteca.

ilikemusic
07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I love this show! I've said it earlier and will say it again "Best Footy Show in North America!". Missed the episode but will download the podcast. Great to hear.

Ya I love it. I listen to it pretty well everyday and they do a great job of really taking a global approach to the game. Its a little Euro-centric, but what soccer show isnt? And I love how he is constantly taking the piss out of MLS. I love TFC and all but there is so much about this league that I just think is completely unconducive to the principles of competition and and the development of talent. It drives me nuts and MLS needs to be called out on it more often.

Argh, I really would rather this not be a political debate but I can go back and edit 'North America' for 'USA/Canada' if that will please. Mexico is left out of the North American 'lets get soccer going' attitude because theyre fucking Mexico and its pretty well insulting to them to lump their level of football development in with ours.

james
07-03-2008, 01:40 PM

And even more people dont realize that countries like El Salvador, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras and many more. There is 43 countries and colonies in North America not just USA, Canada and Mexico.

Many people dont realize Central America is not an actual continent.

Blizzard
07-03-2008, 02:37 PM
And even more people dont realize that countries like El Salvador, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras and many more. There is 43 countries and colonies in North America not just USA, Canada and Mexico.

No but it's a handy term for those Latin American states and while Mexico doesn't fit geographically, it certainly fits in most other respects such as language and culture.

It's an easy mistake to make and not worth nitpicking about IMHO.

B

James Oliphant
07-03-2008, 02:39 PM

You forgot Greenland.

james
07-03-2008, 03:30 PM
You forgot Greenland.

they were in the other 43 countries category :D

colman1860
07-03-2008, 04:57 PM
And I love how he is constantly taking the piss out of MLS.

watch out for mark from new jersey!!

SilverSamurai
07-03-2008, 05:05 PM

Try telling that to the Central Americans... even though we can pretty much fit them in Lake Ontario!
Ok maybe not quite that small but we could easily fit them in like 2-3 of the Great Lakes!

Manutd27
07-03-2008, 05:14 PM
I listen to this podcast quite frequently and chat back and forth with Kenny, he had mentioned that they would like to get up here for a match, but right now they are doing a few travel things with Heinken as it is there sponsor. They have mentioned BMO a few times in the past, and I know earlier in the season they were trying to talking about getting Mo on the show, not sure what happened with that.