PDA

View Full Version : Nana Attakora

Doucet3
04-08-2011, 05:44 PM
I wanted to get peoples view on one of our best defenders, lately people have been saying he's not starter quality and every other bullshit statement.

He's injured or atleast was when and still playing vs PHI. He's one of the better defenders in the league and at 22 he's, sure I agree he's been a bit ... Loose this season but were 3 gp in

Pachuco
04-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I like Nana. I hate that people are throwing him under the bus already. But to say he's one of the best defenders in the league is an exageration. There are many good CBs in this league. I think he will develop into one of the best, but you can't say he's one now.

TFC07
04-08-2011, 05:52 PM
I think Nana mind isn't right place right now because of his contract situation. I get the feeling he's going to leave end of the season and try playing in Europe next year.

2mil4dero+santo
04-08-2011, 05:56 PM
when i saw this thread I thought it was gonna say he got traded. yeh good defender, doesn't seem to happy lately though

jloome
04-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Perhaps he lacks confidence in his ability to distribute in the new system. Certainly, he's looked stronger than Cann over the first three games; for every positional or passing gaffes he's had a nice tackle or block.

Cann has been p. horrendous so far. Attakora not so much.

Section 117
04-08-2011, 08:03 PM
With all due respect Nanna is an average defender at best at this point in his career. He oh technically sound but his biggest problem is he can not make a decent pass if his life depended on it. In Winter's system the defenders need to make the RIGHT pass not when in doubt give the ball back to Frei. Also IMO he is no where close to making it in Europe. People are giving him some bad advice if they think he can make the jump to Europe if he can't even start on the CMNT.

I hope he turns it around but I think he is what he is and he isn't going to learn how to pass a ball anytime soon. I hope I am wrong but I doubt it

69Chevy396
04-08-2011, 08:08 PM
What does it take for a prof defender to take an extra second or two and pass the ball on the grass rather than bound it up the field all the time? If Attakora and Cann cannot get it through their head that they have to change the way they play, the team is doomed this season.

Derko
04-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Pretty Critical considering none of us are professional football players or professional football coaches!! I think Attakora is probably our best defender and is learning a new system, and I leave it to the Soccer Minds that are immeasurably far superior than yours and mine to make such decisions as to whom plays or not. Just my opinion and can be rather pointed as yours!

noochie
04-08-2011, 09:05 PM
He has been exposed very very easily on many occasions already this season. I really hope that it is injury that has been slowing him down... otherwise Mariner will have to start shopping.

DichioTFC
04-08-2011, 09:15 PM
two games in (he didn't play week 2), we're already throwing Nana under the bus? with the new players, new system, new captain, new defensive group, overcoming an injury; doesn't Nana deserve a grace period?

Week 1 defensive line: Gargan---Nana---Harden---Cann
Week 3 defensive line: Borman---Nana---Cann---Harden

This thread serves no purpose other than to be a really pathetic attempt to just hate on a player because the usual punching bag (DeRo) is gone. Give Nana a couple games with the same teammates and I'm sure we'll see a change in her performance.

torontocelt
04-08-2011, 09:20 PM
two games in (he didn't play week 2), we're already throwing Nana under the bus? with the new players, new system, new captain, new defensive group, overcoming an injury; doesn't Nana deserve a grace period?

This thread serves no purpose other than to be a really pathetic attempt to just hate on a player because the usual punching bag (DeRo) is gone. Give Nana a couple games with the same teammates and I'm sure we'll see a change in her performance.

Wasn't the original poster praising Nana? He is a below average defender at best in world football terms, he still has a long way to go. He is definitely one of the best we have though.

Doucet3
04-08-2011, 09:24 PM

im sticking up for Nana, i agree with everything after bus, he was soplid last 2 years he deserves the benefit of the doubt, aka everyone ... LAY THE FUCK OFF! :) :canada:

Derko
04-08-2011, 09:31 PM
im sticking up for Nana, i agree with everything after bus, he was soplid last 2 years he deserves the benefit of the doubt, aka everyone ... LAY THE FUCK OFF! :) :canada:

Hey I'm a Nana fan just like you and yes he certainly deserves the benefit, and I have always felt like that being a home town boy, went to school with my daughter, just defending our own up here in Orangeville, ya know what i mean!!

noochie
04-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Throwing under the bus is too harsh a tone. Every post I have seen shows that everyone has hope that he can find his form when healthy... but that thus far he hasn't looked good. Every athlete is entitled to a stretch of poor form just hoping it is a short one.

Of course, there are plenty of other threads if you don't like this one.

brad
04-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Pretty Critical considering none of us are professional football players or professional football coaches!! I think Attakora is probably our best defender and is learning a new system, and I leave it to the Soccer Minds that are immeasurably far superior than yours and mine to make such decisions as to whom plays or not. Just my opinion and can be rather pointed as yours!

While I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding letting the soccer minds sort things - the one piece of info we don't have is if the soccer minds think he has what it takes to play in this system, or if they are simply stuck with him and can't get the players in they need.

brad
04-08-2011, 09:54 PM
He has been exposed very very easily on many occasions already this season. I really hope that it is injury that has been slowing him down... otherwise Mariner will have to start shopping.

Prekis system gave Cann and Attakora a lot more cover which made them look better than they are IMHO. Even in that system, they looked average at best.

brad
04-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Throwing under the bus is too harsh a tone. Every post I have seen shows that everyone has hope that he can find his form when healthy... but that thus far he hasn't looked good. Every athlete is entitled to a stretch of poor form just hoping it is a short one.

It seems like you can't say anything critical about a player anymore without having people jump on you - even when it is a valid criticism.

The simple truth is we have been a god awful team for 4 years. Some of that is tactical, but most of that is down to the individual players. Winter himself said coming in that he was amazed at the lack of ability in some of these players. And simply put - you teach the fundamentals that some on our team are lacking in the 8-12 age range, not to professionals in there 20's.

I can forgive tactical naivety and some poor descion making from the younger players. That's part of being a young player. What I can't forgive is the in abilty to complete a short pass out of defense when the player isn't even under pressure. (and yes, I know the receivers position is equally critical, but I've watched these guys blow simple passes to an open man)

brad
04-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Anyway - back to Nana. I think he's a solid ball winner. His distribution and short passing game is relatively poor. I think that he really needs a year or two playing next to a solid, experienced defender to take his game to the next level.

Unfortunalty, I think his head has been filled with ideas that he is better than he is. However, it may be better for his career to move overseas to a second tier league and gain experience playing next to a more experienced CB.

sully
04-08-2011, 10:38 PM
I get the feeling some people here confuse successful home grown developed player with really great defender. Attakora is a decent and sometimes good defender, but not an exceptional player at all.

Pachuco
04-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Actually I said throwing under the bus before anyone else posted in the thread. That's cause I was referring to some of the other posts in other threads since saturday's game. Some people posting in here aren't being as harsh as they have been in the other threads. Probably because of the initial tone of the thread.

denime
04-09-2011, 08:47 AM
I think Nana mind isn't right place right now because of his contract situation. I get the feeling he's going to leave end of the season and try playing in Europe next year.

I think he spent to much time with DeRO and Cann and probably has some crazy numbers in his head,and he can only dream about Europe for now.

He should concentrate on soccer for now,it is not easy for him FFS he is 22 and this is his 6 coach in 5 years.
Once he gets the idea what his role is in 4-3-3 he will be a good CB for TFC.

sashavukelich
04-09-2011, 10:00 AM
I get the feeling some people here confuse successful home grown developed player with really great defender. Attakora is a decent and sometimes good defender, but not an exceptional player at all.

This is how i feel, and i'll cheer for the boy to the end. He doesn't seem to anticipate passes or forward movement that well yet, but again, he's 22 and learning. lets give the guy some support!

We have some interesting defenders this year, arguably our strongest defence ever....once they have time to gel it'll be interesting, just a shame we don't have a RB.

Do we think Sturgis is going to be traded? we really need a RB.

ensco
04-09-2011, 10:07 AM
No player on the roster has more to gain from daily exposure to an experienced teacher like Winter than Nana does.

There's a chance he could really blossom into a Euro caliber defender in a year or two.

TFCRegina
04-09-2011, 10:07 AM

Agreed.

TFC is so bad on the back end. I can't fathom how people think we have a good defense or ever had a good defense. The so-called partnership of Cannana hasn't produced a hell of a lot. People just like it because they like both players.

Our CBs are serviceable, not spectacular. Our FBs have trended towards awful, but jury is out on Yourassisgrass.

Carts
04-09-2011, 10:24 AM
I wanted to get peoples view on one of our best defenders, lately people have been saying he's not starter quality and every other bullshit statement.

He's injured or atleast was when and still playing vs PHI. He's one of the better defenders in the league and at 22 he's, sure I agree he's been a bit ... Loose this season but were 3 gp in

While I don't rag on Nana - he's not one of the better defenders in the league...

He was much better suited to win a hard header or thump the ball up the pitch than Winters style of patience and possession...

Its early in the season, and he's nursing a nagging injury...

I think its fair to say this about every player on the pitch - we need to see more matches under the new system to make a real overall rating of a player...

Good game / bad game sure - but we're looking at guys playing a new system, with players starting at different positions in each of the 3-games we've played...

Add to that - we haven't really played anyone of real quality yet. Two expansion clubs and a winless Chivas team is hardly the best measuring stick - a few more games in, against some different opposition (notably LA at home) will say a lot...

Carts...

CretanBull
04-09-2011, 10:24 AM
^ True!

Batman
04-10-2011, 07:31 AM
I'm wondering if contract situation is affecting his play.

Can anyone confirm if negotiations are ongoing?

Was he particularly tight with De Ro?

He's been subbed off 2 straight games and Winter said both times "he wasn't in the game" Not a good sign, and not a great way for Nana to try to negotiate a contract.

brad
04-10-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm wondering if contract situation is affecting his play.

Can anyone confirm if negotiations are ongoing?

Was he particularly tight with De Ro?

He's been subbed off 2 straight games and Winter said both times "he wasn't in the game" Not a good sign, and not a great way for Nana to try to negotiate a contract.

It may be, or he might just not be good enough. Winter is looking for different things from his back players, and Nana might not have what he is looking for.

Also - very common for young players (especially defenders) to have a stand out season then drop off the map in the following years. I've seen it many times.

Dub Narcotic
04-10-2011, 12:55 PM

He's never been one of better defenders in the league. Very average, although I mean that in the sense that he is in the middle of the pack for the league. He's always been a bit of a a tweener, not physical/tall enough to be a top center back, and not clever enough with the ball to be a good two-way fullback. He's an asset for a team but not essential by any means.

AL-MO
04-10-2011, 01:00 PM

I'm hoping its just a case of learning a new system, because right now he looks lost out there. On top of that he seems to hoof the ball up the field every time he has it on his foot. I guess that is because he has a hard time making that first pass.

I'm hoping all this will improve over time!

netsan
04-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Marco Velez, Serioux and Marvel Wynne are all better than Attakora. Attakora gives too much room against the opposing team's ball carrier. He should just challenge the ball holder and not let him have time to think!

On corner kicks Attakora is at his worst. He freezes like a deer in headlights. Mentally he is one step behind all the time.

mastermixer
04-11-2011, 08:14 AM
They guy has had a couple of bad games I can agree with that, but to say he is worse than Velez is crazy.

Fort York Redcoat
04-11-2011, 08:20 AM
They guy has had a couple of bad games I can agree with that, but to say he is worse than Velez is crazy.

Agree with that. Also as much as I loved Serioux I couldn't put him above Nana. Not the TFC Serioux. The Dallas or Houston Serioux I would...

Dreadlocks
04-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Nana is the definition of "raw" imo. Perhaps Winter expects a lot from him and is therefore much more critical.

sidney
04-12-2011, 01:38 AM
I also love NanA. He's a very good young sasparilla, who's got pace and toughness. He's only going to get better.