PDA

View Full Version : The Canadian Pride Effect...

Doucet3
04-08-2011, 05:31 PM
What's everyones take on TFC fans rooting for VAN to a certain extent, like me personally I can't help but hope that the caps do atleast top 5 in the west, even when MTL comes in I hope they do alright... Obviously under us in the standings at allllll times though lol.

Like I've seen some fans act ridiculas over this and say your no true fan if you like the caps or mtl, like really?, like any other league/sport I root for us Canucks.

BeerBaron95
04-08-2011, 05:34 PM
I dont care they are Canadian at all... I support TFC and that's it

TFCRegina
04-08-2011, 05:35 PM
What's everyones take on TFC fans rooting for VAN to a certain extent, like me personally I can't help but hope that the caps do atleast top 5 in the west, even when MTL comes in I hope they do alright... Obviously under us in the standings at allllll times though lol.

Like I've seen some fans act ridiculas over this and say your no true fan if you like the caps or mtl, like really?, like any other league/sport I root for us Canucks.

There's another Canadian team?

I thought they added two American clubs and a Swiss one this year?!?!?!?

Nodoubtguy
04-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Can you support Man city and cheer for Man United?

boozilla
04-08-2011, 05:37 PM

End of story.

BS1327
04-08-2011, 05:38 PM
It really depends on rivalries in my opinion.

Vancouver isn't really our rival, and that's where I stand. Montreal on the other hand, could grow to be something special, like the Leafs-Canadiens of the past. The cities themselves have a huge history of rivalry between them.

Azerban
04-08-2011, 05:40 PM
even when MTL comes in I hope they do alright...

bad_opinions.txt

BeerBaron95
04-08-2011, 05:46 PM

Blasphemy!! lol

TFC07
04-08-2011, 05:46 PM

Seems like Canadians have a traditional to root for each other instead of American teams if their teams are out of playoffs in NHL. I except the same in soccer as well.

BeerBaron95
04-08-2011, 05:47 PM
End of story.

End of thread.. lol. FACT!

Vancity RED
04-08-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm a TFC supporter who has 'Caps seasons tickets and some 'Caps garb cuz this is where I live. I cheer for the 'Caps in every game except when they play TFC.

Doucet3
04-08-2011, 05:50 PM
I don't see what your saying about supporting United and shitty, like Vancouver is across the country... I guess MTL is city but I only say I'd hope they do okay cause I'm French-Canadian. Born in Toronto area, but I always support the french teams, leaf fan obv and no I don't want mtl ever finishing above the leafs but if were out I atleast hope they do alright in the playoffs, as a Canadian supporter not a Canadien supporter

Doucet3
04-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Seems like Canadians have a traditional to root for each other instead of American teams if their teams are out of playoffs in NHL. I except the same in soccer as well.

Good way of putting it, I'd rather see a Canadian team do good over an American anyway I guess is what I kinda saying?

Doucet3
04-08-2011, 05:59 PM

'yeaaaa sure ya do, hypocrite, wats that in your sig,... Colo 4 life?, tfc and that's all?

Shakes McQueen
04-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I can't help but hope Vancouver are successful (except for whenever they play us), just because of the Canadian factor.

Montreal are another matter, however. It's hard to clearly articulate why that is.

- Scott

Pachuco
04-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I can't help but hope Vancouver are successful (except for whenever they play us), just because of the Canadian factor.

Montreal are another matter, however. It's hard to clearly articulate why that is.

- Scott

This is where I stand. Although when Montreal made it to the semis in Concacaf I found myself chearing for them for the first time which I don't typically do in any sport. I just desperately wanted to show Mexico and the rest of the world that soccer in the MLS/USL isn't that bad.

This is one topic though that is almost not even worth debating. Everyone will have their own opinions, and none of them are right or wrong.

All that can come out of this is people telling others who they can and can't chear for outside of TFC. That never ends well.

ilikemusic
04-08-2011, 06:05 PM
This isnt hockey. We didnt invent this game and I have no desire, like I do in hockey, to see someone "bring the Cup home".

I would love to see the Canucks win the Stanley Cup, but the Whitecaps can go in shite.

Though there is a part of me that wants to see Vancouver do well if only to embarrass TFC management even more. I hate my own team so much. :rolleyes:

werewolf
04-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Vancouver is just another team in the league, I have no reason to cheer for them, if they win the MLS Cup, or the Canadian Championship, or the Concacaf CL, that means TFC didn't. No thanks.

werewolf
04-08-2011, 06:08 PM
From my youtube favourites.

LyaotPVUE9s

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 06:13 PM

yep, every other team in the league can go straight to hell

Kaz
04-08-2011, 06:27 PM
I cheer for my club, I respect the ability of other canadian sides as I do with any side at all... the only time I will cheer for a team other then TFC is when TFC is not involved. ie Champions League when TFC lost the NCC, and Montreal went to the Quarter Finals.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Id be shocked if any Montreal or Vancouver fans felt the same way about TFC.
IE they dont care about us in any manner

swan
04-08-2011, 06:38 PM
i'd rather cheer for Vancouver then for columbus..

i don't have a hate on for vancouver like some do, i just see them as any other team in the mls ( well a little above the rest of the american teams) but i hate the crew...

BeerBaron95
04-08-2011, 06:39 PM
'yeaaaa sure ya do, hypocrite, wats that in your sig,... Colo 4 life?, tfc and that's all?

LMFAO.....

You are talking about Canadian teams..... so before you put your foot in your own mouth, I will save u the trouble.

If you asked if I had to support 1 team and 1 only then my sig would answer that.

You can support Van city and MTL if you want.. thats your choice. when it comes to MLS or Canadian teams, I support 1.

anything else you need clarified??

ginkster88
04-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Id be shocked if any Montreal or Vancouver fans felt the same way about TFC.
IE they dont care about us in any manner

Oh... they do.

rocker
04-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I support TFC only.

I hope Vancouver always finishes in a worse position than TFC and I hope they never advance further than TFC in any competition.

So when TFC wins the supporters shield and MLS Cup, it's fine if Vancouver is second in the league and the MLS Cup losing side. ;)

Montreal? I hope they finish dead last every year and never ever make the playoffs. I hate Montreal.

prizby
04-08-2011, 06:50 PM
i don't think you will find actual supporters supporting other teams in the same league

i was quite pleased to see vancouver have two guys sent off...you can ask my friends, at the pub i was yelling at the tv when hassili scored on the PK

Doucet3
04-08-2011, 06:53 PM
LMFAO.....

You are talking about Canadian teams..... so before you put your foot in your own mouth, I will save u the trouble.

If you asked if I had to support 1 team and 1 only then my sig would answer that.

You can support Van city and MTL if you want.. thats your choice. when it comes to MLS or Canadian teams, I support 1.

anything else you need clarified??

i dont support Van or Mtl, i Support Manchester United and Toronto FC, thats it, theres teams i like, AC Milan, Blackpool, Watford, Vancouver, Montreal (canadian pride on those 2), FC Edmonton, CSKA Moscow, FC Zurich, ....

Thats what im saying in this topic, thats why its a tough topic lol im misunderstood, im by no means buying MTL/VAN kits or scarfs etc, im just saying i back them when it dosnt involve TFC, if that makes sense

RedsYNWA
04-08-2011, 06:54 PM
I cheer only for TFC
but I want Vancouver to do just a tad below TFC just like Montreal forever and ever AMEN

MartinUtd
04-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Never cared for the city or its inhabitants, so no.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Oh... they do.

HAHAHA i meant in a positive way.
im not from vancouver, i dont care about vancouver, same goes for every other team in this league. one of the few greatest joys outside of watching your team win is watching your enemies lose, i took great joy in watching the revs score on vancouver and i have no clue how anyone else can feel otherwise. thats me tho.

Banjax
04-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Only one team i care about in MLS and that is TFC i mean it is a competitive league after all, so of course i wanna beat everyone and see no one but TFC do well, it would be like being in the army and saying oh we hate so and so but we want them to do well just doesnt work

daner90
04-08-2011, 07:22 PM
im not from vancouver, i dont care about vancouver, same goes for every other team in this league. one of the few greatest joys outside of watching your team win is watching your enemies lose, i took great joy in watching the revs score on vancouver and i have no clue how anyone else can feel otherwise. thats me tho.

ABSOLUTELY!!

Pachuco
04-08-2011, 07:47 PM

So in other words you took great joy in watching the revs score? chearing for thy enemy no? ;)

You don't see how people cheared for Vancouver in that game and I don't see why someone would chear for a conference rival in that game. If you really didn't care you wouldn't be chearing for any of them.

LittleOzzy
04-08-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm a TFC fan that will see more Whitecaps games on TV this season.

It's hard not to cheer them on when they are the only team available to watch.

Sad really, they will be gaining a lot of new fans this season while our poor TFC fades away on GolTV.

I'll never ever support Vancouver, but this season I doubt I will miss a game.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
So in other words you took great joy in watching the revs score? chearing for thy enemy no? ;)

You don't see how people cheared for Vancouver in that game and I don't see why someone would chear for a conference rival in that game. If you really didn't care you wouldn't be chearing for any of them.

i understand basically if i could have my way everyone would lose, sadly thats not an option so ill take a tie, as for conference ish, im not worried about it 3 games into the season

Redcoe15
04-08-2011, 08:55 PM
The only way I would care about a Canadian MLS team, outside of TFC, is if they successfuly produce domestic talent for the Canadian national team. Other than that, fuck 'em! It still burns me inside watching Montreal hoist the Voyageurs Cup in '09 on Toronto soil. :mad5:

Alixir
04-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Like I've seen some fans act ridiculas over this and say your no true fan if you like the caps or mtl, like really?, like any other league/sport I root for us Canucks.Anytime the Whitecaps can take points from an Eastern team, I will pull for them to win...not saying I will support them. In my opinion I would love to have both Whitecaps and Toronto FC being powerhouse teams...then it would feel like a Man U / Man city rivalry.....right now its more like a Blackpool / Preston North End rivalry

CretanBull
04-08-2011, 09:10 PM
I can't understand how any TFC supporter can cheer for another team in the same league.

werewolf
04-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm a Philadelphia Union supporter.

so are Al-mo and BC.

DichioTFC
04-08-2011, 09:27 PM
i treat the other teams in the MLS not named Toronto FC the same way I treat teams in the NHL not named Montreal Canadiens.

Fuck 'em.

Shakes McQueen
04-08-2011, 09:31 PM
I can't understand how any TFC supporter can cheer for another team in the same league.

It's not so much "cheering for", as it is simply "taking a rooting interest".

I never want Vancouver to finish ahead of TFC in the standings, or to beat TFC in a game, or to win the MLs Cup instead of TFC - obviously.

But if I'm watching Vancouver play another team, I tend to develop a rooting interest in Vancouver for that game.

Just like I will develop a rooting interest in other NHL teams every year during the playoffs, despite the Leafs not playing. I won't be buying their kit, or circling their games on the calendar, but I like to see Canadian sports franchises do well generally, in the absence of my own team.

- Scott

Derko
04-08-2011, 09:37 PM

Ah now here is the real question, can you support TFC and cheer for either Man City or Man United or any other team from back home or where ever your heritage may be , which many of us do, so hypothetically your comment is quite hypocritical wouldn't you say!! :drinking::scarf:

sashavukelich
04-08-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm an advocate for Canadian success, so as long as it's not against TFC i'm 'pullin' for the caps to do well. I don't see why it has to be so bi-partisan. This isn't a country like England/Scotland were neighbours warred for hundreds of years, we are a united front in Canada, a your ideallic country. I don't buy some old-world bs about 'die for the club' etc..

Anything less is narrow-minded in my opinion, and simple answers are often poorly thought out.

Derko
04-08-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm an advocate for Canadian success, so as long as it's not against TFC i'm 'pullin' for the caps to do well. I don't see why it has to be so bi-partisan. This isn't a country like England/Scotland were neighbours warred for hundreds of years, we are a united front in Canada, a your ideallic country. I don't buy some old-world bs about 'die for the club' etc..

Anything less is narrow-minded in my opinion, and simple answers are often poorly thought out.

Exactly!!

sashavukelich
04-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Exactly!!

cheers brother. Finally some sense.

ryan
04-08-2011, 10:00 PM
TFC all day, everyone else can eat it.

Considering how the city of Vancouver feels about us, I'm willing to wager their supporters dislike us even less...and I'm not interested in taking the high road. This is football, piss on em!

Whether I "support them" or not, I'm sure they will find their success here and there which is all fine and dandy for Canadian football. So what the hell do I care to cheer em on, I'm not making a difference to their success or failure, so whatever.

I'm just someone who when it comes to any league I follow, I have my team and my team only. I'm not a fan of multi team support and think it's silly.

Nodoubtguy
04-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Ah now here is the real question, can you support TFC and cheer for either Man City or Man United or any other team from back home or where ever your heritage may be , which many of us do, so hypothetically your comment is quite hypocritical wouldn't you say!! :drinking::scarf:

TFC/Man United or TFC/Vancouver.....you don't see a difference??

Vancouver and MTL will always be direct competition for TFC

drexel10
04-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Well when TFC gets knocked out do people on this board not take an interest on who wins MLS Cup?? I personally like FC Dallas, just becuse of the type of footie they play. I was cheering for RSL on Tuesday as well.

Waggy
04-08-2011, 11:46 PM
I find myself hoping the best for Vancouver most games, but that isn't so much a reflection of their Canadian status as some simple logic.

I want them to beat any Eastern conference team other than TFC because it's good for Toronto FC

I want them to beat LA because fuck LA

I want them to beat Seattle because fuck Seattle

I want them to beat Houston and Dallas because those teams have some pretty shite support despite being pretty good.

Fuck Chivas. San Jose, meh.

I'm indifferent to RSL, and I don't mind Colorado, Portland and Vancouver.

So basically, unless the Whitecaps are playing TFC, RSL, Colorado or Portland I'm cheering for them, simply because I hate the other teams more. In the event they are playing RSL, Colorado or Portland I'll cheer for the result that is best for TFC.

That said I want the Whitecaps to succeed OFF the field. I want soccer to grow in Canada, so the more fans in the stands, the more jerseys sold, the more viewers on TV, that I want them to have. That said when MTL comes in I hope they die cold and alone, fanless and viewerless. Those fucks can talk a long walk off a short dock. Fuck the Als, fuck the Habs, fuck the Impact. I'd say fuck the Expos but Bud Selig already did.

s2cazz
04-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Fuck Vancouver
Fuck Montreal
Fuck Chicago
Fuck Columbus
Fuck DC United
Fuck Houston
Fuck New England
Fuck New York
Fuck Philadelphia
Fuck Sporting KC
Fuck Chivas USA
Fuck Colorado
Fuck FC Dallas
Fuck Los Angeles
Fuck Portland
Fuck Real Salt Lake
Fuck San Jose
Fuck Seattle
Fuck Vancouver Again
and last but not least Fuck Montreal twice more

Any Questions? I'd be happy to clarify.

dupont
04-09-2011, 01:09 AM
I want Vancouver and Montreal to be financially successful because I want MLS to be successful in this country.
However, I've been to Vancouver many times and heard what they think of Toronto so fuck them. I hope they lose every game.

kodiakTFC
04-09-2011, 02:05 AM
I agree with the OP actually. I love TFC but I also care deeply about the sport in this country and I sincerely hope Vancouver does well on and off the field. In a perfect world they'd be second to TFC's first. When the two are in competition TFC is my team but when the reds aren't involved, I'll hope the best for them.

London
04-09-2011, 03:45 AM
i will only watch vancouver so i can see other MLS matches.

if it was KC games on TV id watch those, i just want to see more MLS on TV

I could care less on the teams but i will enjoy when i see vancouver lose

Keystone FC
04-09-2011, 04:12 AM

This is my thoughts as well.
I will always be a TFC supporter (God Bless TFC And No One Else!) but I also want to see Van and Mon (when they come into the league) do well but come under TFC.
To me a strong TFC, Van, and Mon translates into a stronger Canadian interest in the game and could translate into a stronger National team which in turn creates a stronger CONCACAF. I want the Canadian national team in the World cup along side of the US.

Pachuco
04-09-2011, 08:18 AM

Best post in the thread.

Personally, I can't watch any game, any sport without taking sides. I just don't have the ability to enjoy the game unless I take one side. Even if I don't know squat about both teams I'll usually take the underdog. So for me, it just so happens that when I watch Vancouver play I take their side. They are the underdog for sure being an expansion team. They've had some pretty magical moments already that makes it hard not to chear for them in their games. And then of course there is the case that I despise pretty much every american team in the league except RSL and NYR (now that Dero is there).

When Montreal comes into the league, I will chear for the Columbus Crew before I chear for Montreal. I hate Montreal so much that I won't chear for GSP in a fight. But then somehow, I was chearing for them in the Champions League when they had their magical run.

None of it is rational, it can't be rationalized. That's the beauty of sports. Pick a team, watch them win, next game chear against the same team and watch them lose....in the end it all feels just as good so long as it's not your team involved!

Derko
04-09-2011, 08:23 AM
This is a well thought out thread and the banter is excellent, Go TFC

flatpicker
04-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Toronto is the only team in MLS I would support.
But I have watched a couple Vancouver games on tv.
And I freely admit that I prefer them to do well over the other team.
But I do the same for any soccer match I watch... I pick a team to root for.
Vancouver being Canadian just helps make that choice for me.
It doesn't mean I'm a fan of the club.
Also, I have a hard time feeling any great animosity for the Whitecaps.
There are many other MLS teams that I despise more.
That said, when Montreal joins MLS, they may become my most hated rival,
But heck, they're Montreal, what else can I do?

AL-MO
04-09-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm a Philadelphia Union supporter.

so are Al-mo and BC.

:flare:

AL-MO
04-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Fuck Vancouver
Fuck Montreal
Fuck Chicago
Fuck Columbus
Fuck DC United
Fuck Houston
Fuck New England
Fuck New York
Fuck Philadelphia
Fuck Sporting KC
Fuck Chivas USA
Fuck Colorado
Fuck FC Dallas
Fuck Los Angeles
Fuck Portland
Fuck Real Salt Lake
Fuck San Jose
Fuck Seattle
Fuck Vancouver Again

Any Questions? I'd be happy to clarify.

HAHAHA Yes!!!

Wull
04-09-2011, 09:40 AM
TFC all day, everyone else can eat it.

Considering how the city of Vancouver feels about us, I'm willing to wager their supporters dislike us even less...and I'm not interested in taking the high road. This is football, piss on em!

This ^

I won't support any other canadian team in anything due to their loathing of our city

sashavukelich
04-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Best post in the thread.

Personally, I can't watch any game, any sport without taking sides. I just don't have the ability to enjoy the game unless I take one side. Even if I don't know squat about both teams I'll usually take the underdog. So for me, it just so happens that when I watch Vancouver play I take their side. They are the underdog for sure being an expansion team. They've had some pretty magical moments already that makes it hard not to chear for them in their games. And then of course there is the case that I despise pretty much every american team in the league except RSL and NYR (now that Dero is there).

When Montreal comes into the league, I will chear for the Columbus Crew before I chear for Montreal. I hate Montreal so much that I won't chear for GSP in a fight. But then somehow, I was chearing for them in the Champions League when they had their magical run.

None of it is rational, it can't be rationalized. That's the beauty of sports. Pick a team, watch them win, next game chear against the same team and watch them lose....in the end it all feels just as good so long as it's not your team involved!

well said fella. It is strange isn't it, there is a type of romance in soccer that is inexplicable. I'm fortunate that my dad had the opportunity to play with the National program in 1979-1980, and i just crave Canada to do well.

ensco
04-09-2011, 09:59 AM
It's not about national pride exactly for me, although their being Canadian is part of it, but it's something else, more like "who do you have a complex about?" ....and eff me, the Whitecaps may just be it.

I have come to "hate" Seattle because I'm totally jealous of them - the ownership, the management, their playing style, their immediate success, getting a player like Ljungberg, getting Montero.....everything.

I'm getting to the same place fast with the Whitecaps, for many of the same reasons - they're not very good yet, but they are Canadian, and after 4 games in our first year, to remind you, we were 0-4 and had been outscored 10-0! If Hassli played here, we would LOVE the guy, and how did they find Rochat?

In 4 league games the Whitecaps have almost as many memorable moments as we do from 130 games.

Sigh.

werewolf
04-09-2011, 11:11 AM
I hope Vancouver produce lots of national team talent, and sell-out every game. And a scoreless draw in all matches.

canadian_bhoy
04-09-2011, 11:28 AM
If TFC didn't exist, I would happily never watch another MLS game for the rest of my life.

I support TFC and Celtic
I like Everton
I have a very large soft spot for Liverpool
I hate Rangers

That is all.

tfcleeds
04-09-2011, 11:33 AM
TFC only in MLS. I never understood the whole "cheer for the Canadian city" thing, even in hockey. Who cares if a Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup? If they aren't the Leafs, screw them. Besides, most of the American teams are largely comprised of Canadian players anyway.

The only, ONLY reason I would want the Whitecaps to do well at all, is in the sense that it would place even more pressure on our FO to put a winning product out on the field. To have them do in one year (make the playoffs) what we are likely not to do in five - well that's even more egg on Anselmi/Beirne/Cochrane's face.

TorCanSoc
04-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Some of us have been around soccer a long time. Watching the Canadian game for two decades. It predates TFC and MLS, so its hard to turn it off. If it has a Canadian flag on its sleeve, I cheer for it. TFC first of course. But I like vancouver, and montreal.

sabre22
04-09-2011, 12:41 PM
TFC only in MLS. I never understood the whole "cheer for the Canadian city" thing, even in hockey. Who cares if a Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup? If they aren't the Leafs, screw them. Besides, most of the American teams are largely comprised of Canadian players anyway.

The only, ONLY reason I would want the Whitecaps to do well at all, is in the sense that it would place even more pressure on our FO to put a winning product out on the field. To have them do in one year (make the playoffs) what we are likely not to do in five - well that's even more egg on Anselmi/Beirne/Cochrane's face.
Brilliant!
If it isn't the canadian national team playing it has nothing to do with canadian pride.

Waggy
04-09-2011, 12:42 PM
TFC only in MLS. I never understood the whole "cheer for the Canadian city" thing, even in hockey. Who cares if a Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup? If they aren't the Leafs, screw them. Besides, most of the American teams are largely comprised of Canadian players anyway..

I never understood that either. I consider the other Canadian clubs in hockey to be the Leafs direct competition. If the Leafs can't win I sure as shit hope it's not another Canadian team. I want the LEAFS to bring the cup back to Canada. This year I'll be backing a Chicago repeat cause I like a bunch of their players, or Washington cause (unless he's wearing his Ruskie uni) I love Ovechkin. I hope Vancouver gets swept in the 1st round. I think I've already made my feelings on Montreal known- suffice to say I will not be supporting them in any series. Even against Boston. And I HATE Boston.

zeelaw
04-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Sorry but I'd rather see Canada qualify for the WC then TFC win an MLS championship...

Hope I get to see both but I want Vancouver to succeed as well.

zeelaw
04-09-2011, 01:12 PM
What's up the comparision to the NHL and hockey? The nature of hockey internationally is so much different then soccer. Completely different landscape and shouldn't be compared.

rocker
04-09-2011, 01:23 PM
the NHL is a good comparison because you have the small core of Canadian teams and many more American teams. Just like MLS. Although I don't believe in supporting Vancouver (or Montreal next year) just because they are Canadian MLS teams, as people often support Canadian NHL teams in the playoffs against Americans.

I actually get great satisfaction from Vancouver and Montreal's failures!

I still laugh when I remember Montreal's Santos Laguna epic breakdown or Tator Tots' face as TFC scored 6 goals against Montreal:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/shitecaps.jpg

hahah.

s2cazz
04-09-2011, 01:42 PM
the NHL is a good comparison because you have the small core of Canadian teams and many more American teams. Just like MLS. Although I don't believe in supporting Vancouver (or Montreal next year) just because they are Canadian MLS teams, as people often support Canadian NHL teams in the playoffs against Americans.

I actually get great satisfaction from Vancouver and Montreal's failures!

I still laugh when I remember Montreal's Santos Laguna epic breakdown or Tator Tots' face as TFC scored 6 goals against Montreal:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/shitecaps.jpg

hahah.

Very beautiful moment! I remember almost the entire Van team was there at the start of the match and as the score line increased there were less and less until no one was left!

Makes me warm and tingly inside!

e-karam
04-09-2011, 01:53 PM
I want to Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal finish in the top three every year, in that order (I know it's a long shot especially when we can't even make the playoffs). It's better for Canadian soccer. I still love TFC and as long we finish ahead of the Caps and Impact, I don't see what the problem is.

TorontoGooner
04-09-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm an Arsenal fan from Essex who couldn't ever support another team from England, no matter what. Why? Because I'm an Arsenal fan and won't change my mind if we don't do so well. Same with TFC. It's how great rivalries are made and how you get passionate, raucous atmospheres at games.

I'd even go as far as to say I hate other English teams. Morally right? Not at all. But that's the fascinating thing with Football/Soccer fans. If you dislike a team you yell louder because the outcome means more. There's no great logic to it

I agree with the point regarding success at Vancouver creating a wake up call for us though.

On Wednesday I'll yell like crazy at Beckham because he's on the other team. But as soon as he pulls on an England shirt (not often these days) I'll support him. Same with Canada, if someone wears the red shirt I'll support them, but as soon as they pull on a Vancouver shirt I'm against them.

Cashcleaner
04-09-2011, 02:40 PM
For me it's a bit of a balancing act. I do want Vancouver to be a successful club in that they will be around as long as Toronto FC exists as an organization, but I never want to see them pick up three points from us. And when a Canadian club makes it into Champions League or anything like that, I'll watch them and hope for wins, but my heart will always be with TFC.

In Scotland I may have been a Hibs fan, but would cheer for Celtic or Rangers whenever they played in Champions League or the UEFA Cup. The reason was simple - it was good football and put Scotland on the international (or at least continental) stage. The same thing applies to Montreal and Vancouver. And believe me, I really, REALLY hate Montreal.

Beach_Red
04-09-2011, 03:40 PM
When did this idea of cheering for the Canadian team in the NHL playoffs start? From the 40's through the 70's Montreal or Toronto were in the finals pretty much every year and their fans didn't really cheer for the other one did they? This seems like something started by the media to keep people interested till the end.

If Vancouver success can put pressure on our FO to do better, then great.

Derko
04-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Well. I guess you know who I am a fan of back in the Isles, and won't support any other team on the Isles!!

Brooker
04-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Well. I guess you know who I am a fan of back in the Isles, and won't support any other team on the Isles!!

Preston?

flatpicker
04-09-2011, 05:41 PM
When did this idea of cheering for the Canadian team in the NHL playoffs start? From the 40's through the 70's Montreal or Toronto were in the finals pretty much every year and their fans didn't really cheer for the other one did they? This seems like something started by the media to keep people interested till the end.

I think it's a pretty easy question to answer.... expansion.
Ever since there was a huge influx of American teams, Canadian clubs hoisted the Cup much less.
And Canadians have a way of feeling like the small kid getting picked last on the school yard.
So we tend to look for any way to feel better about being low on the totem pole.
Thus, seeing a Canadian club do well (especially in playoffs) boosts our ego.

At least that's how I see it.

Doucet3
04-09-2011, 06:09 PM
I think it's a pretty easy question to answer.... expansion.
Ever since there was a huge influx of American teams, Canadian clubs hoisted the Cup much less.
And Canadians have a way of feeling like the small kid getting picked last on the school yard.
So we tend to look for any way to feel better about being low on the totem pole.
Thus, seeing a Canadian club do well (especially in playoffs) boosts our ego.

At least that's how I see it.

thats a great way of putting it, Us canucks are always getting picked on, with the yanks having more clubs in all sports we canucks have 1/5 the chance of winning vs american teams.

and sports aside im always standing up for the underdog/the little kid, cause no one likes getting bullied, same with sports when the yanks have 16 teams vs our 2 going for the MLS Cup i cheer VAN and TFC on hard i support TFC and am a fan of VAN there a BIG differance in Support and Fan, either way i hope VAN rocks the West and i feel even with our new unfamiliar and rough squad we could actually give er this year

Red4ever
04-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I can't stand Vancouver. The city, the people who live there et all. They are barely Canadian to me. Just barely.

Probably the same way Texans feel about Californians.

I want to see that second rate city suffer as much as possible on the sporting front. I cheer for canucks to lose every night.

Oldtimer
04-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm a TFC supporter who has 'Caps seasons tickets and some 'Caps garb cuz this is where I live. I cheer for the 'Caps in every game except when they play TFC.

That's not unusual world-wide, at all. For example, you might get someone who supports a team like Cardiff in Wales, because that is their local club, but also is a Chelsea fan.

They could run into the same issue that you do, if both their clubs played each other in a cup championship or a friendly, or ended up in the same league level.

I wouldn't compare Toronto and Vancouver to Man United vs. Man City. There just isn't that rivalry. Most Toronto fans are "meh" about Vancouver, except for die-hard Voyageurs types, who support the game overall in Canada before any local team. Where you won't find a "meh" reaction is with Montreal. There is too much history between the two cities in all sports, including soccer, for there to be anything but a solid rivalry.

flatpicker
04-09-2011, 06:43 PM
and sports aside im always standing up for the underdog/the little kid, ...

I love to watch English football.
But I have no favourite to speak of.
I always cheer for the lower ranked club.
It's the Canadian way!
:canada:

Macksam
04-09-2011, 11:31 PM

Winner.

If Vancouver success can put pressure on our FO to do better, then great.

I'm actually the other way around. For the NHL, if it's not the Flames...or Leafs, it makes no difference to me if it's a Canadian team winning the cup or not. I think a lot more Canadians feel this way than what most think. It's just the media that's trying to brainwash us with this "Canada's team" bull sh*t that started when the Flames made their run in 2004. I was disheartened when I saw all the band wagon fans starting to cheer for us.

tfcleeds
04-10-2011, 12:01 AM
The worst thing about Vancouver is, most of the people there that have a hate-on for Toronto (or Ontario) are transplanted Torontonians/Ontarians themselves. It's stuff like that I can't stand.

I like the city - I lived out there for 4 years, and it's beautiful. But some of the people are just so full of themselves. And don't get me started on the sports media out there - the absolute worst. And you thought Toronto was homer-ific. That is why I hope the Canucks crash and burn in a big way.

Doucet3
04-10-2011, 01:35 AM
I love to watch English football.
But I have no favourite to speak of.
I always cheer for the lower ranked club.
It's the Canadian way!
:canada:

I'm as you can see United supporter, but I root for Blackpool to stay in the PL, I also like seeing Lincoln City and Watford get promoted aswell

Ps shwarma kicks ASS!, know of anyplace in skits/welland/ falls area, I knw a bunch in Hamilton to Toronto

werewolf
04-10-2011, 01:42 AM
Ps shwarma kicks ASS!, know of anyplace in skits/welland/ falls area, I knw a bunch in Hamilton to Toronto

Wrapworks on Glenridge, in a strip-mall just north of Glendale. (St. Catharines)

London
04-10-2011, 08:30 AM
If TFC didn't exist, I would happily never watch another MLS game for the rest of my life.

I support TFC and Celtic
I like Everton
I have a very large soft spot for Liverpool
I hate Rangers

That is all.

so what made you think TFC was worth supporting?

it looks like you thing MLS is garbage so i am asking.

it cant just be that they are from Toronto

nfitz
04-10-2011, 10:51 AM
I dont care they are Canadian at all... I support TFC and that's itIf fans in this city generally thought this way no one would watch the Stanley Cup playoffs. TV ratings for Toronto suggest otherwise.

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't have some support other Canadian cities against foreign teams. We almost all have connections to these cities.

As long as they are cheering for Toronto when Montreal, Vancouver, and Edmonton comes to town. But why shouldn't one hopes Edmonton cleans up in the NASL?

werewolf
04-10-2011, 11:00 AM
http://www.eye-on-vancouver.com/image-files/southside-3.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2462/3594266044_edfc744987.jpg

I can take a joke, but cheer for them? GTFO. Any winner in a Whitecaps game makes it harder for us to make the playoffs. I am not going to live in a fantasy land that pretends we will finish first in the league and they will finish second. If its not TFC, every team is foreign.

rocker
04-10-2011, 11:04 AM
If fans in this city generally thought this way no one would watch the Stanley Cup playoffs. TV ratings for Toronto suggest otherwise.

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't have some support other Canadian cities against foreign teams. We almost all have connections to these cities.

As long as they are cheering for Toronto when Montreal, Vancouver, and Edmonton comes to town. But why shouldn't one hopes Edmonton cleans up in the NASL?

He's not arguing everyone feels that way.. he's arguing he feels that way.
Certainly some people feel a connection to other cities for whatever reason. But I don't think every Leafs fan would support Montreal or Vancouver in the playoffs just because they are Canadian. Some will, but who knows what that percentage is.

Anyways, teams are not national entities. They represent a city. It's not the Canada Impact or Canada Whitecaps.

I've never been to Edmonton. I don't personally know anyone there. I don't have any connection to their soccer culture. I have no reason to root for Edmonton in NASL (other than maybe it's good for Canadian soccer? I dunno). I just can't get my emotions going for Edmonton, just as I couldn't get my emotions going for Shalke or Miami FC or something.

Azerban
04-10-2011, 11:08 AM
so what made you think TFC was worth supporting?

it looks like you thing MLS is garbage so i am asking.

it cant just be that they are from Toronto

no it's probably seriously that, the mls is a garbage league; i laughed every time andy whatsherface popped up on last nights broadcast telling me to pay $59 to 'support the league i love'

if toronto fc disappeared tomorrow i'd never watch another mls game

Cashcleaner
04-10-2011, 11:14 AM
^ This. Heard it as well and commented to Daner that it's: "more like the league I tolerate".

There's nothing wrong in understanding that the league we're in does not have the highest quality players or coaches. That shouldn't stop anyone from being a fan, though. College basketball isn't up to par with NBA, but that doesn't stop people from following their favourite schools.

Jack
04-10-2011, 12:07 PM
My feelings are: Fuck the Whitecaps.

I cheer against them. I cheered against Montreal during their CONCACAF run and I cheer against the Habs in the playoffs. As far as hockey goes, I stay neutral when other teams are playing and usually root for whoever's losing in a game to make it more interesting.

London
04-10-2011, 12:10 PM
no it's probably seriously that, the mls is a garbage league; i laughed every time andy whatsherface popped up on last nights broadcast telling me to pay $59 to 'support the league i love'

if toronto fc disappeared tomorrow i'd never watch another mls game

So what make TFC worth supporting????

nfitz
04-10-2011, 12:57 PM
My feelings are: Fuck the Whitecaps.

I cheer against them. I cheered against Montreal during their CONCACAF run and I cheer against the Habs in the playoffs. As far as hockey goes, I stay neutral when other teams are playing and usually root for whoever's losing in a game to make it more interesting.Should fandom be based on hatred?

Jack
04-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Should fandom be based on hatred?

There is a feeling of rivalry there. Hatred? That's an awfully strong emotion. I dislike the Whitecaps and Impact, as well as the Red Bulls and the Crew. I enjoy seeing them lose. But I don't consider that hatred. I don't care if they are Canadian teams, I don't support them. I support Canada when Canada plays and I support TFC and hope our rivals lose. I see nothing wrong with that.

AL-MO
04-10-2011, 01:16 PM
http://www.eye-on-vancouver.com/image-files/southside-3.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2462/3594266044_edfc744987.jpg

I can take a joke, but cheer for them? GTFO. Any winner in a Whitecaps game makes it harder for us to make the playoffs. I am not going to live in a fantasy land that pretends we will finish first in the league and they will finish second. If its not TFC, every team is foreign.

Great post WW.

nfitz
04-10-2011, 01:21 PM
There is a feeling of rivalry there. Hatred? That's an awfully strong emotion. I dislike the Whitecaps and Impact, as well as the Red Bulls and the Crew. I enjoy seeing them lose. But I don't consider that hatred. I don't care if they are Canadian teams, I don't support them. I support Canada when Canada plays and I support TFC and hope our rivals lose. I see nothing wrong with that.It's this kind of narrow-minded view that has Celtic fans celebrating now that Scotland only has one spot in the Champions League ... which one day will find them starting in the Europa league.

And if one is stuck in somewhere like Toronto where the financial structure of many of our sports teams will mean that we'll never see any team that's better than mediocre, that we'll never have anything to cheer for after our team is done.

Everyone I know seemed to support the Edmonton Oilers in the 1980s and Montreal Canadiens in the late 1970s when they were at their peak. Pre-Blue Jays, everyone seemed to happily support the Expos. Live and let live.

TFCRegina
04-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I know I'll be tuning in on Match Day Live to cheer for the Dynamo to get a draw today...preferably of the nil nil variety.

Jack
04-10-2011, 01:50 PM
It's this kind of narrow-minded view that has Celtic fans celebrating now that Scotland only has one spot in the Champions League ... which one day will find them starting in the Europa league.

And if one is stuck in somewhere like Toronto where the financial structure of many of our sports teams will mean that we'll never see any team that's better than mediocre, that we'll never have anything to cheer for after our team is done.

Everyone I know seemed to support the Edmonton Oilers in the 1980s and Montreal Canadiens in the late 1970s when they were at their peak. Pre-Blue Jays, everyone seemed to happily support the Expos. Live and let live.

Live and let live. Toronto 'til I die, not until they aren't playing and the Whitecaps or Impact are. What the hell does nationality have to do with club football?

I will never support those teams. Nor will I support a rival against another team from another league. You call it narrow-minded, I call it passionate about my team. Seeing them brought low brings a smile to my face. Live and let live.

Heathen
04-10-2011, 02:00 PM
For all of the Whitecaps and Impact lovers on this thread, go to the TFC road game against them in your Red shirt and see how long your tolerance lasts. The anti-Toronto hatred in this country goes way beyond friendly ribaldry... fuck 'em all.

Huyton
04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
If the Whitecaps were playing in my backyard, I'd close the curtains.

(with apologies to Bill Shankly).

TFCRegina
04-10-2011, 02:02 PM
For all of the Whitecaps and Impact lovers on this thread, go to the TFC road game against them in your Red shirt and see how long your tolerance lasts. The anti-Toronto hatred in this country goes way beyond friendly ribaldry... fuck 'em all.

I was fairly indifferent towards Vancouver until I went there, and the douchebaggery knows no ends.

My opinion went from friendly rivalry - pumped for the game to fuck Vancouver.

Heathen
04-10-2011, 02:12 PM
I was fairly indifferent towards Vancouver until I went there, and the douchebaggery knows no ends.

My opinion went from friendly rivalry - pumped for the game to fuck Vancouver.

I remember Canada Day 2008 after the Whitecaps beat us in the first CC, I ran into a guys in a Vancouver jersey outside BMO shook his hand and said well done, never again after what I heard went on at the season opener.

rocker
04-10-2011, 02:25 PM
What happened at the season opener?

James17930
04-10-2011, 02:29 PM
You can't support two teams in the same league.

Don't be stupid.

TFCRegina
04-10-2011, 02:30 PM
What happened at the season opener?

Anti-Toronto vitriol. I'm not from Toronto, I'm from a place that refers to it as the Centre of the Universe, but we aren't douchebags about it. It's friendly ribbing in Saskatchewan, it sure as shit was not friendly in BC.

It also might be the fact that Sask has a strong rivalry with BC in the other football and they rub me the wrong way.

Vancouver fans don't cheer for their team to win the game, they cheer for the other to lose the game. And it sound strange, but that's how it is.

They're cockbites, douchebags and bad natured.

Fuck Vancouver.

flatpicker
04-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Don't be stupid.

As I have alluded to earlier,
I don't think this is about "supporting" two teams in the same league.
There is a difference between "support", and "favouring" some other Canadian team over some American team.
This issue doesn't have to be so black and white.

Technorgasm
04-10-2011, 02:50 PM
the coverage VCWC are getting on national TV sickens me. .

that said the sheer VOLUME of awesome TFC stuff on GOLtv makes it seem like its a pure TFC channel. . that. . I like!@

norb

rocker
04-10-2011, 02:57 PM
There is a difference between "support", and "favouring" some other Canadian team over some American team.

I just find it weird myself to favour one club team over another -- neither team being my city's team -- based purely on nationalism.

Another problem comes when you consider the nationality makeup of these club teams. Yes there are Canadians, but the teams have players of all kinds of nationalities.

werewolf
04-10-2011, 02:58 PM
DC United had as many players starting on their opening day lineup as Vancouver.

nfitz
04-10-2011, 03:04 PM
What the hell does nationality have to do with club football?Everything.

At the same time, I have no idea why foreigners could care less what is happening in the English Premier League ... good grief ... get a life! It's not like I'm suddenly going to start watching what happens in local games in Spain or Italy no matter how good it is ... it's Spaniards and Italians playing football ... who gives a ...

nfitz
04-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Don't be stupid.Of course you can! Don't be stupid!

s2cazz
04-10-2011, 03:15 PM
One more time.

Fuck Vancouver
Fuck Montreal
Fuck Chicago
Fuck Columbus
Fuck DC United
Fuck Houston
Fuck New England
Fuck New York
Fuck Philadelphia
Fuck Sporting KC
Fuck Chivas USA
Fuck Colorado
Fuck FC Dallas
Fuck Los Angeles
Fuck Portland
Fuck Real Salt Lake
Fuck San Jose
Fuck Seattle
Fuck Vancouver Again

I'm getting sick of this "but they are canadian" and "it's to make the game better in Canada". I'm happy with the sport the way it is. If it grew you'd have puckheads watching the MLS Cup. Fuck that. Ever sat in 105? Sit there for a game with people who know absolutely nothing about the sport an tell me how much you want the sport to grow. Right now the fans are much more intelligent. As popularity increases the iq drops.

I support Toronto Football Club. They are MY MLS club and the rest can eat a dick.

Jack
04-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Everything.

At the same time, I have no idea why foreigners could care less what is happening in the English Premier League ... good grief ... get a life! It's not like I'm suddenly going to start watching what happens in local games in Spain or Italy no matter how good it is ... it's Spaniards and Italians playing football ... who gives a ...

You jut proved my point for me. People can be passionate about teams from everywhere, so supporting a rival just because they're Canadian seems pretty silly to me.

nfitz
04-10-2011, 03:21 PM
You jut proved my point for me. People can be passionate about teams from everywhere, so supporting a rival just because they're Canadian seems pretty silly to me.But why would anyone be passionate about a foreign team from a country they don't even understand?

I certainly can understand expats being very interested ... but I really don't understand why anyone who has no association with the country having any interest.

I suppose you might argue that it's all about the love of a beautiful game ... but the narrow-minded "only Toronto" we've just seen seems to demonstrate that for some it's nothing about the love of the game.

Jack
04-10-2011, 03:24 PM
But why would anyone be passionate about a foreign team from a country they don't even understand?

I certainly can understand expats being very interested ... but I really don't understand why anyone who has no association with the country having any interest.

I suppose you might argue that it's all about the love of a beautiful game ... but the narrow-minded "only Toronto" we've just seen seems to demonstrate that for some it's nothing about the love of the game.

Why is loving the beautiful game mutually exclusive of loving and taking pride in the team that represents my city?

It's emotion and passion. Since when does it have to be logical?

BeerBaron95
04-10-2011, 03:25 PM
One more time.

Fuck Vancouver
Fuck Montreal
Fuck Chicago
Fuck Columbus
Fuck DC United
Fuck Houston
Fuck New England
Fuck New York
Fuck Philadelphia
Fuck Sporting KC
Fuck Chivas USA
Fuck Colorado
Fuck FC Dallas
Fuck Los Angeles
Fuck Portland
Fuck Real Salt Lake
Fuck San Jose
Fuck Seattle
Fuck Vancouver Again

I'm getting sick of this "but they are canadian" and "it's to make the game better in Canada". I'm happy with the sport the way it is. If it grew you'd have puckheads watching the MLS Cup. Fuck that. Ever sat in 105? Sit there for a game with people who know absolutely nothing about the sport an tell me how much you want the sport to grow. Right now the fans are much more intelligent. As popularity increases the iq drops.

I support Toronto Football Club. They are MY MLS club and the rest can eat a dick.

Makes all sorts of sense to me... and FYI, its not just ppl in 105, supporter sections are riddled with these types aswell ;) yup, I went there.

You jut proved my point for me. People can be passionate about teams from everywhere, so supporting a rival just because they're Canadian seems pretty silly to me.

Absolutely Jack.

werewolf
04-10-2011, 03:26 PM
"Narrow-minded" = red herring.

rocker
04-10-2011, 03:28 PM

there are many reasons people might be interested in supporting a team from afar. maybe they actually watch the team on TV and are interested in them.

If you're Canadian and you support a team in England (perhaps never having visited England) there must be something about the team you like.

But that's a very different situation to supporting two teams in a local league, a league your local team plays in.

since you don't have a local team in that English league, there's no "supporting the opposition." And also, there's no nationality decision such as "I must support this English club team because they are playing against a French club team."

Derko
04-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Preston?
Geez thanks, although Mr. Danny Dichio played at Preston

flatpicker
04-10-2011, 04:05 PM

My point was, when I watch a game on tv, I always pick a team to root for,
no matter what two teams are playing.
So if one happens to be Canadian, that just helps sway my opinion a bit in favour of them.

Jack
04-10-2011, 04:12 PM
My point was, when I watch a game on tv, I always pick a team to root for,
no matter what two teams are playing.
So if one happens to be Canadian, that just helps sway my opinion a bit in favour of them.

Which is fine. But don't expect me to support the Impact or the Whitecaps just because they're Canadian. Not gonna happen :)

nfitz
04-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Why is loving the beautiful game mutually exclusive of loving and taking pride in the team that represents my city?It isn't! But there's a big difference for cheering for Toronto first, and going to this odd "the other teams are dead to me" approach.

It's like the difference in being religious, but equally respecting other religions, and being religious, and hating those who happen to worship red hobbits instead of crimson hobbits.

As long as people are in the stands cheering for Toronto (or Canada) while they are here, that's all that matters.

Though if it's league play at this time of the year involving other teams - isn't one always cheering for a draw? That's invariably in our best interest.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-10-2011, 04:29 PM
call me a fanatic and there are no other gods

Jack
04-10-2011, 04:53 PM
It isn't! But there's a big difference for cheering for Toronto first, and going to this odd "the other teams are dead to me" approach.

It's like the difference in being religious, but equally respecting other religions, and being religious, and hating those who happen to worship red hobbits instead of crimson hobbits.

As long as people are in the stands cheering for Toronto (or Canada) while they are here, that's all that matters.

Though if it's league play at this time of the year involving other teams - isn't one always cheering for a draw? That's invariably in our best interest.

For most other teams I am indifferent. For Vancouver, Montreal, New York and Columbus, I actively hope they lose and cheer against them.

It's fanaticism, though far less harmful in the end than religious fanaticism tends to be. If all the fanaticism in the world were about football, rather than gods, there'd be a lot less war.

Walms
04-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Personaly, I'm still a little bitter towards the whitecap's after they took us for 4 goal's.... I wont be cheering for them at all durring the season.
That being said, its in my blood to support all thing's Canadian, so if their was ever a situation were Van was playing for the Championship agesnt a US team, I would 100% be cheering for the Whitecap's

Technorgasm
04-10-2011, 07:45 PM
http://www.houstondynamo.com/sites/default/files/ctools/header_supporters_630x350.jpg

Brooker
04-10-2011, 07:54 PM
http://www.houstondynamo.com/sites/default/files/ctools/header_supporters_630x350.jpg

We want 4! We want 4!

TFCRegina
04-10-2011, 11:08 PM

I have plenty of Canadian pride. Hainault kicked some ass today!

James17930
04-11-2011, 04:35 AM
As I have alluded to earlier,
I don't think this is about "supporting" two teams in the same league.

Fair enough -- I understand what you mean. But I wonder if, after one or two seasons of us playing Van and Mtl consistently and having bad blood build up if, people are going to be able to favour them or not.

But there was one person in this thread who actually has WC season tickets and he says he's gonna support them for every game except when they play TFC.

For me, that's going too far.

Fort York Redcoat
04-11-2011, 06:49 AM
So the argument is over how much you invest in any other team but Toronto or Canada, right?

I support Canada and TFC. Any other team I watch I'm following. It's a different level of interest. Following the progress of another team in the league is different than saying you "cheer" for them. This mentality of having 2nd teams in the league is one step away from cheering for teams that play against your local team that's prevalent in other leagues.

Following Gretzky's Oilers back then is different than saying you're still an Oilers fan now because of it. Unless you're from Edmonton or surrounding area.

mdc 77
04-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Vancouver sport "fans" are some of the most annoying in North America. Especially Canucks fans.

I can't help but have hoped the 'caps didn't win a match all year.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-11-2011, 08:58 AM
ill watch montreal and vancouver games, im just not going to cheer for them or hope they win. oddly im prob more interested in those games than any others (TFC being the obvious exception)

Red4ever
04-11-2011, 09:02 AM
My philosophy in sports has always been, I want us to win and you to lose. So if you are an opponent of TFC, especially one with which we have a rivalry, that is even more heightened.

There are only a few times I ever remember watching sports where my team lost and there wasn't a seething hate (at that moment) for the opponents. When my Cardinals got swept by the Red Sox in 2004, I didn't hate the Sox, just cause I knew how much shit they had eaten for 84 years. Those instances have been few and far between in my life as a fan. It's getting way too into that makes the experience for me.

As for the Canadian argument, I'm from Halifax originally, so I have never felt a tonnage of Toronto pride not being a native. That is until I heard all of the crap that everyone from Vancouver spouts about Toronto. Albertans, Quebecers, Maritimers and Newfies are all proud to be from where they are from. People from BC are proud to be from NOT where you are from. Especially Toronto. It sickens me. People ask me where I'm from now I will still say Halifax, unless I find out they are from Vancouver, then I will gladly say I'm from Toronto.

BTW everyone who is taking about "Canadian Pride" damn well better be at the CMNT games vs Ecuador or USA, or else you have a very weak argument.

Dunkers
04-12-2011, 02:02 AM
Fair enough -- I understand what you mean. But I wonder if, after one or two seasons of us playing Van and Mtl consistently and having bad blood build up if, people are going to be able to favour them or not.

But there was one person in this thread who actually has WC season tickets and he says he's gonna support them for every game except when they play TFC.

For me, that's going too far.

I also fall in the WC season ticket holder catergory, but given that TFC plays 3000 km away, my options for live soccer are limited

I must admit tho, there is a fan in section 201 at empire that has worn his TFC jersey to every whitecaps game! thats TFC for life!

James17930
04-12-2011, 05:29 AM
I also fall in the WC season ticket holder catergory, but given that TFC plays 3000 km away, my options for live soccer are limited

I must admit tho, there is a fan in section 201 at empire that has worn his TFC jersey to every whitecaps game! thats TFC for life!

Enh, I don't know.

I would say at this point, if you live in BC and are going to go to every WC game, then you need to convert to a WC supporter. I understand that it made sense to support TFC before the WC joined MLS, but now that you have a team, it might make more sense to go local.

No?

Keystone FC
04-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Enh, I don't know.

I would say at this point, if you live in BC and are going to go to every WC game, then you need to convert to a WC supporter. I understand that it made sense to support TFC before the WC joined MLS, but now that you have a team, it might make more sense to go local.

No?
Unless that WCSTH is from Toronto originally.
That's how I came to be a supporter of TFC. I have some Canadian ancestry on my moms side, and since I can't stand Ohio teams, why not support a club that represents my past.

Dreadlocks
04-12-2011, 11:46 AM
If TFC is in a competition I pull for them and only them - Fuck everyone else. When TFC is not in the competition, Canadian teams get my priority.

2mil4dero+santo
04-12-2011, 12:04 PM
My philosophy in sports has always been, I want us to win and you to lose. So if you are an opponent of TFC, especially one with which we have a rivalry, that is even more heightened.

There are only a few times I ever remember watching sports where my team lost and there wasn't a seething hate (at that moment) for the opponents. When my Cardinals got swept by the Red Sox in 2004, I didn't hate the Sox, just cause I knew how much shit they had eaten for 84 years. Those instances have been few and far between in my life as a fan. It's getting way too into that makes the experience for me.

As for the Canadian argument, I'm from Halifax originally, so I have never felt a tonnage of Toronto pride not being a native. That is until I heard all of the crap that everyone from Vancouver spouts about Toronto. Albertans, Quebecers, Maritimers and Newfies are all proud to be from where they are from. People from BC are proud to be from NOT where you are from. Especially Toronto. It sickens me. People ask me where I'm from now I will still say Halifax, unless I find out they are from Vancouver, then I will gladly say I'm from Toronto.

BTW everyone who is taking about "Canadian Pride" damn well better be at the CMNT games vs Ecuador or USA, or else you have a very weak argument.

This is exactly what alot of people who've never been out west don't understand. Many Vancouverites are the most ignorant, self-centered people you will ever meet. 90% hate Toronto even though most have never stepped foot in Ontario. It's perpetuated in the media as well to sell papers.
I still remember being out there and seeing the beer add about the beer being "colder than most people from Toronto".

nfitz
04-12-2011, 12:24 PM
This is exactly what alot of people who've never been out west don't understand. Many Vancouverites are the most ignorant, self-centered people you will ever meet. 90% hate Toronto even though most have never stepped foot in Ontario. It's perpetuated in the media as well to sell papers.
I still remember being out there and seeing the beer add about the beer being "colder than most people from Toronto".Pretty much anyone I've ever met in Vancouver has moved there from Montreal, Ontario, Alberta, or Asia ... and I've never detected this attitude. Perhaps there's a group of born-and-bred bunch that keep to themselves and don't mix much ... maybe that's what those lawn bowling courses they seem to have eveywhere are for ...

2mil4dero+santo
04-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Pretty much anyone I've ever met in Vancouver has moved there from Montreal, Ontario, Alberta, or Asia ... and I've never detected this attitude. Perhaps there's a group of born-and-bred bunch that keep to themselves and don't mix much ... maybe that's what those lawn bowling courses they seem to have eveywhere are for ...

Well of course its a gross generalization but it is the general attitude of people there. I lived there for 15 years and when theres nothing else to talk about they talk about how Vancouver is the best place to live in the world and how much they hate Toronto.
Of course, if you talk to someone there who is from Ontario, they probably won't have the same opinion, but thats coz they're not from there. Why would they hate Toronto if they're from there lol? I'm talking about people from Vancouver. And many of them won't say anything to your face.

Jeffro
04-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Supporting multiple teams in one league is really just casting a wide net so that if you're first choice team fails, you have a better chance of tasting glory. Although, I'm with Flatpicker, I end up 'cheering' for one team in any game I watch, even if it's two teams I truly dislike circumstances will dictate which one I hope gets the result. That's because I love watching football, it's more exciting when you take a side. That said, there is no team other than TFC in MLS that I would consistently hope does well. For instance, as a Barca fan, I actively root for any team playing against real madrid, but that doesn't mean I'll be rooting for them to do well on any other given matchday. Usually I'll take the side of the underdog, or cheer for the result that best suits my team.

Nodoubtguy
04-12-2011, 12:40 PM
ask Ageroo if he remembers how we were treated outside a bar in MTL after the 6-1 game....I would be happy if the Impact never win a single game

tfcleeds
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
^There were some truly rude, uncivilized Montrealers in that bar. I remember that night well. (Well, who of us who made the trip doesn't remember it - the good stuff anyway :))

Whoop
04-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Vancouver is a beautiful city but I can't stand the self-righteousness that comes out of that city.

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/61/ee/0271ccba4f71bc5089697450a984.jpeg

ryan
04-12-2011, 12:44 PM
I think one of the roots stemming this conversation is based on the fact that Torontonians are used to having to cheer for other cities clubs....

I mean, had the Waffles seen spring hockey in the past millenia I don't think Toronto would be so quick to support the Shitecaps or the Imps.

FreekAce
04-12-2011, 12:46 PM
For most other teams I am indifferent. For Vancouver, Montreal, New York and Columbus, I actively hope they lose and cheer against them.

It's fanaticism, though far less harmful in the end than religious fanaticism tends to be. If all the fanaticism in the world were about football, rather than gods, there'd be a lot less war.

nah, they'd just war over football.

Whoop
04-12-2011, 12:47 PM
^^
What Freek said.

scooter
04-12-2011, 12:48 PM
i dont know if this is being done on purpose but using wc to refer to white caps is funny
in britain wc stands for water closet or bathroom
so maybe its fitting to suggest white craps for short is wc

on a totally different note
this regional disparity is years old but its the cause of no national unity in our country the politicians have nurtured it to a great extent especially when it comes to east vs west or english vs french
IF WE WANT TO HAVE A NATIONAL TEAM THAT CAN COMPETE ON THE WORLD STAGE WE NEED TO COME TOGETHER AS ONE - no matter where or what background and we need to be proud canadians not canadians when it comes to schooling and health card and then opt to play for our parents country or where we lived for 1 year at birth
START BEING PROUD TO BE CANADIAN -- PROUD TO SUPPORT TFC --PROUD TO BE A RED PATCH BOY

C.Ronaldo
04-12-2011, 12:49 PM
somone is going to whip something at me but is it okay to be portuguese and cheer for brasil?

FreekAce
04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
depends if you want to get taken serious or not ;-)

ryan
04-12-2011, 01:09 PM
somone is going to whip something at me but is it okay to be portuguese and cheer for brasil?

As long as you don't mind me calling you 'gloryhunter'

Ossington Mental Youth
04-12-2011, 01:12 PM
As long as you don't mind me calling you 'gloryhunter'

pretty much.
cant say ive ever seen a brazilian waving a portuguese flag, i could be wrong on that tho.

TFCRegina
04-12-2011, 01:15 PM

Depends on if you live there or not, or if you've ever worn a Portugal jersey or not.

My sister in law always says that Brazil has the support of two countries in football...right after Portugal is knocked out of the world cup.

tfcleeds
04-12-2011, 01:17 PM
I thought they always did it more to just wind up the Italians. At least here in the GTA anyway.

Always thought it kind of weird myself - it's like England cheering for Australia in cricket.

brad
04-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I will cheer for Vancouver most every time they play a team from the Eastern Conference that is not us (except for times when a playoff wildcard spot may be at stake and it could be better for a team from the East to win).

And that's not because I care about Vancouver, it's because that is the best result is the best for TFC.

brad
04-12-2011, 01:21 PM
I know lots of people in England that support more than one club, and these are far from glory hunters. It's more common than you think.

Oldtimer
04-12-2011, 01:21 PM
^ exactly.

James17930
04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Unless that WCSTH is from Toronto originally.
That's how I came to be a supporter of TFC. I have some Canadian ancestry on my moms side, and since I can't stand Ohio teams, why not support a club that represents my past.

Right -- but you don't also support the Crew.

That guy bought WC season tickets. There's a discrepancy there.

rocker
04-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I know lots of people in England that support more than one club, and these are far from glory hunters. It's more common than you think.

I know lots of people in England that couldn't think of supporting more than one club. I think it's because they have very strong ties to that team and attend their matches.

Perhaps people without strong ties to a team can support multiple teams at once. Or maybe if you live in London and support various London teams, that's different than supporting Chelsea and Man U at the same time. Or more appropriately, supporting Cardiff and Man U.

Given how strong my ties are to TFC now, I could never ever support another MLS team. It just makes no sense to me. And Vancouver or Montreal being Canadian doesn't mean anything to me.

flatpicker
04-12-2011, 01:59 PM

From my experience, English football fans who support more than one team,
Are generally supporters of a lower league team, and then pick a Prem team to support as well.

brad
04-12-2011, 02:03 PM
I know lots of people in England that couldn't think of supporting more than one club. I think it's because they have very strong ties to that team and attend their matches.

Goes both ways - that's for sure, and it's more common to only support one team.

Perhaps people without strong ties to a team can support multiple teams at once. Or maybe if you live in London and support various London teams, that's different than supporting Chelsea and Man U at the same time. Or more appropriately, supporting Cardiff and Man U.

In most cases - it's people who's main team is a lower division team, and they also support also support a top flight team. There would be no contest who they would support if the two teams met though. Most of my family in the UK fall into this category.

That said, I also have family that were part of the Birmingham City ultras back in the 60's that also went to Villa matches quite often. It was pretty normal.

brad
04-12-2011, 02:04 PM
From my experience, English football fans who support more than one team,
Are generally supporters of a lower league team, and then pick a Prem team to support as well.

Yup - the lines blur a bit though when the other ends up in the Prem (or the old first division) eventually, especially if you were supporting both your entire life before hand.

werewolf
04-12-2011, 02:06 PM
If this was an Ottawa Fury or Milltown FC supporters group, it would make a bit of sense to support a top club, Toronto, Vancouver etc.

If Chelsea knock off Manchester today, I don't think many Manchesterians are going to cheer for Chelsea to win the CL, nor will Arsenal. Even if it would help their UEFA Co-efficient that is battling with Spain. And they shouldn't be expected too.

ManUtd4ever
04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
I agree with Werewolf. It's common and understandable to support a few clubs if each club is in a different league.

flatpicker
04-12-2011, 02:12 PM
If this was an Ottawa Fury or Milltown FC supporters group, it would make a bit of sense to support a top club, Toronto, Vancouver etc.

If Chelsea knock off Manchester today, I don't think many Manchesterians are going to cheer for Chelsea to win the CL, nor will Arsenal. Even if it would help their UEFA Co-efficient that is battling with Spain. And they shouldn't be expected too.

I'm not sure that analogy really works here.
You are talking about two the best teams in the world.
To compare that to TFC and Van is like apples and oranges.
It's not like we are constant front runners to win trophies.
Because Canadians often have that underdog mentality,
It's not hard to feel good when another Can team does well (but not at the expense of your own club!).

nfitz
04-12-2011, 02:13 PM
I know lots of people in England that couldn't think of supporting more than one club. I think it's because they have very strong ties to that team and attend their matches.For many of the million or so who do routinely attend the matches that is likely the case.

However the vast majority of those in England don't attend matches don't attend a match every week or two, and it's more a question of whose on the telly than anything else.

As for Champions League ... the better whoever represents Canada does, the more likely Canada will get a second spot one day. This is in our best interest.

werewolf
04-12-2011, 02:13 PM
It's comparing ripe granny smith apples to rotten golden delicious apples, but its a similar analogy. If we don't win the Canadian Championship, I won't be cheering for whomever does, in the Concacaf CL.

flatpicker
04-12-2011, 02:18 PM
It's comparing ripe granny smith apples to rotten golden delicious apples, but its a similar analogy. If we don't win the Canadian Championship, I won't be cheering for whomever does, in the Concacaf CL.

Well, there were a lot of people in this forum who were pulling for Montreal during their impressive run in the CL.

That said, when Montreal join MLS, there will be no team I despise more.
But it's normal for a Torontonian to hate all things Montreal, where sports are concerned.

Carts
04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
I don't see what your saying about supporting United and shitty,

The way you feel about United and City is the way others feel about Toronto and Vancouver and/over Toronto-Montreal etc etc....

I mean, you can't even post about Man City without a little jab - well, that's how many feel about one Canadian city to the next...

With your England team, you have 1-City with 2-teams. Love one hate the other... (I know there's more to the area than that - bt lets keep it simple)

In Canada we have 1-country, 2-clubs - love one hate the other. Its not that big of a stretch...

Ya, the geography is different - but the passion and feelings aren't...

Carts...

2mil4dero+santo
04-12-2011, 02:32 PM
The way you feel about United and City is the way others feel about Toronto and Vancouver and/over Toronto-Montreal etc etc....

I mean, you can't even post about Man City without a little jab - well, that's how many feel about one Canadian city to the next...

With your England team, you have 1-City with 2-teams. Love one hate the other... (I know there's more to the area than that - bt lets keep it simple)

In Canada we have 1-country, 2-clubs - love one hate the other. Its not that big of a stretch...

Ya, the geography is different - but the passion and feelings aren't...

Carts...

I agree with this. It comes down to personal opinion. I personally hate the team from that city out west (I don't want to type their name), but if other TFC fans want to root for them in CL go ahead thats your choice, I don't have an issue as ur a fellow TFC supporter, as long as it doesn't cross the line of betraying tfc.

werewolf
04-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Well, there were a lot of people in this forum who were pulling for Montreal during their impressive run in the CL.

One of the saddest times we've had. At least there were also lots of people cheering for Santos Laguna.

brad
04-12-2011, 03:21 PM
I do think that success for Van and Montreal will have a benefit on the CMNT in the long run. The better the teams are, the more interest they will generate. The more interest they generate, the more kids will want to pull on a Caps or Impact Jersey as opposed to a Canucks or Habs one.

I remember talking to a friend who teaches elementary school here about how she noticed a big shift when TFC came on the scene. Her kids started showing up in Dichio jerseys instead of Sundin jerseys. We want those kids falling in love with the sport, playing it, and sticking with it. TFC is too far away (in more ways than just geography) to have that impact across the country.

J .
04-12-2011, 03:23 PM
I only want TFC to do well.

Oldtimer
04-12-2011, 03:26 PM
One of the saddest times we've had. At least there were also lots of people cheering for Santos Laguna.

I wanted Montreal to do well so that Canada would get an automatic into the group stages, instead of playing off for a spot, or even better, 2 spots. So it was "enlightened self interest"

brad
04-12-2011, 03:40 PM

But plenty of supporters of other EPL teams do (or should I say did) want to see Tottenham do well. This isn't uncommon.

Depends a lot on whether the other team is a direct rival of your own club, and how seriously you take that rivalry.

I see plenty of people on this side of the pond that have adopted an EPL club take the inter club rivalries way more seriously than most people I know in England do.

Dunkers
04-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Enh, I don't know.

No?

For the record, I am not the jersey wearer at the WC game. Thats a bit too much for me, but you cant just stop cheering for a team...i was a STH for 3 years before moving out west, and you cant just cheer against that team that you have so many fond memories of.

Sure when Toronto isnt in town ill root for the whitecaps (unless its the playoff crunch and TFC needs the points). If i have the choice I always watch the TFC games over the whitecaps.

When i travel, its only for TFC, and not the whitecaps

To me the whitecaps are like the hot girls ugly friend...sometimes, you know.....

Vancity RED
04-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I can't stand Vancouver. The city, the people who live there et all. They are barely Canadian to me. Just barely.

Probably the same way Texans feel about Californians.

I want to see that second rate city suffer as much as possible on the sporting front. I cheer for canucks to lose every night.

Pft. If Toronto is to Vancouver as Texas is to California, I'd say that isn't very flattering to Toronto.

Vancity RED
04-12-2011, 07:46 PM
The idea that one team's fans are bigger douchebags than another team's fans is laughable. We're all douchebags in the eyes of our respective opponents. Put another way, we're all the same. Sports fans are fucking insane. Every single one of us.

Blowing Bubbles
04-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Pft. If Toronto is to Vancouver as Texas is to California, I'd say that isn't very flattering to Toronto.

meh it's all relative. Austin > Sacramento.

Unless you're mega loaded living in LA with trophy gf or managed to hang onto a high paying comp sci / engineering job in silicon valley California is not that great a place to live.

werewolf
04-12-2011, 10:07 PM
But plenty of supporters of other EPL teams do (or should I say did) want to see Tottenham do well. This isn't uncommon.

Depends a lot on whether the other team is a direct rival of your own club, and how seriously you take that rivalry.

I see plenty of people on this side of the pond that have adopted an EPL club take the inter club rivalries way more seriously than most people I know in England do.

Maybe if Edmonton go the Champions League. But Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal are the Big 3. Manchester, Chelsea, Arsenal. And those supporters arent cheering for each other.

TFCRegina
04-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Maybe if Edmonton go the Champions League. But Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal are the Big 3. Manchester, Chelsea, Arsenal. And those supporters arent cheering for each other.

This.

Edmonton is Canada's favourite team by virtue of being unknown and not being hated by all three. And actually every Edmonton supporter I personally know is a TFC supporter. It's very difficult to have a hate on for FCE (especially since I'm a Prairie boy). I have a 2nd team in North America, we compete against them, but TFC comes first. But I always have time for FCE guys, unless they're douchebags like Vancouver guys were when I head up (Sorry VanCityRed, you were good shit, but fuck the Caps). I like to think of FCE as being the underdog we're all hoping for - nobody wants Edmonton to fail because it'd be a disaster for the game in Canada, but it's the place most likely to fail.

TFCRegina
04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
The idea that one team's fans are bigger douchebags than another team's fans is laughable. We're all douchebags in the eyes of our respective opponents. Put another way, we're all the same. Sports fans are fucking insane. Every single one of us.

Yeah...but Shitecaps and Limpact fans are bigger douchebags than us. Less insane too, because we're bigger supporters.

Through all of your highs and lows...where did all these newfound Whitecaps fans come from? How many Montrealers showed up to support the Impact against Real Esteli in 2008?

brad
04-12-2011, 10:36 PM

We will have to agree to disagree on this one I think. From a United perspective, the rivalries with Arsenal and Chelsea are relatively new ones, and don't really burn as deep as the ones with City, Liverpool or Leeds. A lot of the younger fans are more wrapped up in these because they are more familiar with them, but a lot of the older supporters aren't. I have family in England that are United through and through that cheered for Arsenal against Barca in the final. This was pretty common btw.

Anyway, enough on that. My view on all of this (and not directed at you werewolf - just my general view) -

Who cares about what happens in other countries. This is not England or Spain or Italy or Brazil. How they support there teams and treat there rivals has no bearing here. This is Canada, and how people view sports is different. I'm not a fan of trying to do what other countries do for the sake of being authentic.

Personally, I'm neutral on Vancouver. I really only care about how their results benefit TFC. I do think that a strong Vancouver is good for the future of the CMNT though, so that does make a part of me want them to do well.

ExiledRed
04-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Whitecaps gave Liverpool Grobelaar.

Cant hate em.

Vancity RED
04-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Ha. And they would say the exact same thing about us. Where did all these TFC fans come from? With all due respect to the few hundred (if that?) that supported the Blizzard and the Lynx, where was everyone else? That question applies to me too - I gave sweet fuck all about soccer (besides a casual interest in the World Cup) before I went to my first TFC game in 2008. I guess that makes me a "plastic"? So what? I care now and to me, that's what matters. So I'm pretty dismissive of the "ya, where were ya X years ago?" arguement.

Yeah...but Shitecaps and Limpact fans are bigger douchebags than us. Less insane too, because we're bigger supporters.

Through all of your highs and lows...where did all these newfound Whitecaps fans come from? How many Montrealers showed up to support the Impact against Real Esteli in 2008?

ryan
04-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Ha. And they would say the exact same thing about us. Where did all these TFC fans come from? With all due respect to the few hundred (if that?) that supported the Blizzard and the Lynx, where was everyone else? That question applies to me too - I gave sweet fuck all about soccer (besides a casual interest in the World Cup) before I went to my first TFC game in 2008. I guess that makes me a "plastic"? So what? I care now and to me, that's what matters. So I'm pretty dismissive of the "ya, where were ya X years ago?" arguement.

There's a bit of a difference because the Whitecaps were always there and the Toronto clubs were not.

In the end you somewhat have a point but I think the two cities are a bit different.

tfcleeds
04-13-2011, 11:45 AM
^Yes, the Whitecaps were always there, but the point he's trying to make is that if you are critical about the fact that fans didn't come out en masse until Vancouver had a "big league" team, you can easily say the same about Toronto. Same applies to me - I didn't care about the Lynx/Blizzard at all, but once Toronto was awarded a MLS franchise, I got interested very quickly.

Heathen
04-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Sorry but that's rubbish, everyone isn't the same. It's a fact that the Rest of Canada dislikes Toronto, therefore a Whitecaps fan is much more likely to hate TFC and act like a douchebag towards us than the reverse. The rivalry with Montreal is more mutual but I'd still suggest even there that they hate us more than we hate them.

Vancity RED
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm making a blanket assessment of douchebaggery - no group of fans has a monopoly on it. I agree with the point you make if we're referring to specifics. Vancouver fans are douchebags to TFC fans, so what? Does that mean that TFC fans have some kind of moral highground to speak from? No, because TFC fans are douchebags in the eyes of a bunch of other supporters and rightly so. Melting chairs in Columbus, anyone? It's a function of passion. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. Any time you have a group of fans that are passionate about something, douchebaggery is guaranteed. Fact.

I wore my TFC jersey and RPB scarf at Empire Field "that day" and deserved everything I got. Anyone who would expect any different must live in another world. I had ponchos thrown at me. I picked them up, smiled at whoever threw it and said thanks. Big fucking deal. If you want to go and get all offended by stuff like that, fine. But I don't see the point.

Sorry but that's rubbish, everyone isn't the same. It's a fact that the Rest of Canada dislikes Toronto, therefore a Whitecaps fan is much more likely to hate TFC and act like a douchebag towards us than the reverse. The rivalry with Montreal is more mutual but I'd still suggest even there that they hate us more than we hate them.