PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,Apr.08

denime
04-08-2011, 05:26 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

TFC coach Aron Winter winning the culture war (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/johnmolinaro/2011/04/tfc-coach-aron-winter-winning-the-culture-war.html)

Toronto's Winter: Tchani, Borman "fitting in well" (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/torontos-winter-tchani-borman-fitting-well)

Ike Inching Closer To Stardom (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/ike-inching-closer-stardom)

Catch Toronto FC At RSBG (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/catch-toronto-fc-rsbg)

Toronto FC On GOL TV Canada (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/toronto-fc-gol-tv-canada)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Workie
04-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Morning D

Nothing like a little leopard print ray of sunshine in the morning.

KingBee
04-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Morning D

Nothing like a little leopard print ray of sunshine in the morning.

That outfit looks like sumthin' the Sunshine Girl would have worn when I last lived in GTA - 1993 :)

Stouffville_RPB
04-08-2011, 06:32 AM
morning d

Technorgasm
04-08-2011, 06:41 AM
RSBG <<<<< Any regular, local, footy, neighborhood pub

Fort York Redcoat
04-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Indeed. Give me pub before clubmosphere for my football!!!

mastermixer
04-08-2011, 07:42 AM
I can picture the Puckheads asking them to put the hockey game on (i'm sure San Jose is playing Edmonton or something)... Fail.

Fort York Redcoat
04-08-2011, 07:45 AM
^And they'll do it.

scooter
04-08-2011, 07:48 AM
mornin d

fyi -- aaron winter is going to be a legend

Oldtimer
04-08-2011, 08:02 AM
I really like John Molinaro's article today. Very insightful.

Best quote:

Finding a quick fix and doing things in a slap-hazard fashion is easy. Anybody can buy players and put together a squad without much planning or thought - just ask Mo Johnston.

:lol:

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 08:07 AM
yep, as per usual a well written article

Darlofletch
04-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Some thoughts on saturday's game, the croninja, and their season as a whole from the san jose side of things (http://www.wakingthered.com/2011/4/7/2096863/how-you-doin-san-jose-earthquakes)

Cashcleaner
04-08-2011, 08:19 AM
I really like John Molinaro's article today. Very insightful.

Best quote:

Finding a quick fix and doing things in a slap-hazard fashion is easy. Anybody can buy players and put together a squad without much planning or thought - just ask Mo Johnston.

:lol:

At first I thought you meant Winter had said that himself. That would have been awesome, but still a good article by Molinaro nonetheless.

Darlofletch
04-08-2011, 08:23 AM
very good article from molinaro.

to play devils advocate here, winter's "no player bigger than the club" stance, playing hard line with the star players and all that.

Isn't that one of the things people hated about preki last year? that is was his way or no way and he didn't seem able to make nice with the star players.
Now that sort of thing's all good?
:hide:

Stouffville_RPB
04-08-2011, 08:28 AM

to play devils advocate here, winter's "no player bigger than the club" stance, playing hard line with the star players and all that.

Isn't that one of the things people hated about preki last year? that is was his way or no way and he didn't seem able to make nice with the star players.

The difference is Winter's no player is bigger than the club is about playing actual football and bringing in talented players like Martina, Stevanovic. Preki disposed of players like Cronin in favour of players like Joseph Nane.

maninb
04-08-2011, 08:57 AM

Nope...Preki HATED strong personalities/leader types...which is why he dumped Robbo, Cronin, and froze out Dichio....Preki was a miserable little dictator...

Technorgasm
04-08-2011, 09:04 AM
will winter improe on 2010 season though.

WILL TORONTO FINALLY REACH THE 40 POINT MARK!!!

PLACE YOUR BETS with me HERE! (http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/14/129157562016168222.gif)

Klinsmann
04-08-2011, 09:10 AM
http://www.rednationonline.ca/Podcasts.aspx#cronin

levyashin
04-08-2011, 09:31 AM
the team for saturday
frei
attacora--williams--cann----yourofski/borman
deguzman--tchani--stephanovic
martina--gordon--santos
last minute instruction,apart from the opposition we are playing against the CRAP officials, stay on your feet,no taking off of jersey etc,etc,common sense.

reggie
04-08-2011, 09:35 AM
i wonder if the new chaps can speak,its been a week and i have not heard a word from borman and tchani...what a joke.
tfc tv and gol tv are brutal.

pekduck
04-08-2011, 09:40 AM
i wonder if the new chaps can speak,its been a week and i have not heard a word from borman and tchani...what a joke.
tfc tv and gol tv are brutal.

err interview of tchani is online
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2933

reggie
04-08-2011, 09:42 AM
lol...i spoke too soon..thanks

Sweeper
04-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Good to see Molinaro mentioned Mariner as I think he is an important piece of the puzzle. Willing to bet he's the one advising on the North American players. It's a bit premature but it looks good so far.

prizby
04-08-2011, 09:50 AM

what is sad is the next road game, Seattle on April 30, they aren't having a viewing party...EITHER you do it for EVERY game or don't fucking bother...don't pick and choose

Darlofletch
04-08-2011, 09:52 AM
The difference is Winter's no player is bigger than the club is about playing actual football and bringing in talented players like Martina, Stevanovic. Preki disposed of players like Cronin in favour of players like Joseph Nane.

and yet winter's just disposed of arguably our most talented player.

It's interesting to see how people react to basically the exact same message when it's coming from people/a club they like as opposed to people/a club they don't like.

And, I'm not pretending i don't do the exact same thing, we all do, following sports is all about being irrational and illogical.

Darlofletch
04-08-2011, 09:54 AM
will winter improe on 2010 season though.

WILL TORONTO FINALLY REACH THE 40 POINT MARK!!!

PLACE YOUR BETS with me HERE! (http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/14/129157562016168222.gif)

4 extra games this year I think we will. still won't be enough to make the playoffs, but we'll hit 40.

Stouffville_RPB
04-08-2011, 10:27 AM

We all know that it wasn't that simple.

ryan
04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Really liked John's article. Good work mate.

Fort York Redcoat
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
And, I'm not pretending i don't do the exact same thing, we all do, following sports is all about being irrational and illogical.

QFFT

I think people have been trying too hard this last week, hell, the whole offseason to find the ultimate logical truth in this matter that will set things right and free all football minds to continue supporting with a clean slate. These things are messy and always have more than one side and gray areas.

my vote for POTW

Pachuco
04-08-2011, 10:39 AM

It's interesting to see how people react to basically the exact same message when it's coming from people/a club they like as opposed to people/a club they don't like.

I'm not sure how you can even attempt to draw a comparison between what Preki did and what Winter has been doing. Preki got rid of some fan favorites and skilled players for plumbers who would go out there and break legs every day. Preki had an obvious biased against Canadian players, his interview when he left said it all.

Winter did not get rid of Dero. In Dero's own words he asked for a trade after 2 years of trying to get what he was promised. Had nothing to do with Winter getting rid of Dero. Both Winter and Mariner have already said they wish they could have kept the player. So even with their hands tied, they did pretty darn good in what they received for Dero.

Lastly, for people like me, it was Preki's moves that made me dislike him. Winter has made nothing but positive moves in my opinion. So it's not that because I disliked Preki that I didn't approve of his moves. It's BECAUSE of his moves that I disliked him.

jloome
04-08-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure how you can even attempt to draw a comparison between what Preki did and what Winter has been doing. Preki got rid of some fan favorites and skilled players for plumbers who would go out there and break legs every day. Preki had an obvious biased against Canadian players, his interview when he left said it all.

Winter did not get rid of Dero. In Dero's own words he asked for a trade after 2 years of trying to get what he was promised. Had nothing to do with Winter getting rid of Dero. Both Winter and Mariner have already said they wish they could have kept the player. So even with their hands tied, they did pretty darn good in what they received for Dero.

Lastly, for people like me, it was Preki's moves that made me dislike him. Winter has made nothing but positive moves in my opinion. So it's not that because I disliked Preki that I didn't approve of his moves. It's BECAUSE of his moves that I disliked him.

Well put.

mdc 77
04-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Nobody is bigger than the team, I see the difference between the Preki and Winter's methods as follows;

Preki tried to set a culture by being an ass.

Winter is trying to do it with respect and class.

They may have both set out for the same goal but one is doing it very differently, not to mention with very different football tactics.

Darlofletch
04-08-2011, 11:36 AM

yeah, Mista and maicon were such plumbers.

and tchani and gordon are much more skilled than de ro and barrett.

For the record I like what Winter's doing and fully agree with no player is bigger than the club.

anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that they were both trying to do the same thing. make whatever moves were necessary for their vision of the club, getting rid of players they don't like or somehow don't fit, bringing in players they do like, because no one player is bigger than the team.

you don't agree with preki's vision, you're not going to like his moves. you agree with winter's vision, you'll like his moves.

and that's fair enough, like I said sports supporting is by it's nature irrational, we all do it, just don't try and pretend preki and winter aren't doing and saying pretty much the same thing.

Oldtimer
04-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Preki didn't bring in DeRo or Barrett.

His vision of "team first" was very similar, but the similarity ends there,

Pachuco
04-08-2011, 11:52 AM

For the record I like what Winter's doing and fully agree with no player is bigger than the club.

anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that they were both trying to do the same thing. make whatever moves were necessary for their vision of the club, getting rid of players they don't like or somehow don't fit, bringing in players they do like, because no one player is bigger than the team.

you don't agree with preki's vision, you're not going to like his moves. you agree with winter's vision, you'll like his moves.

and that's fair enough, like I said sports supporting is by it's nature irrational, we all do it, just don't try and pretend preki and winter aren't doing and saying pretty much the same thing.

Dero and Barrett? You mean the guys that were brought in before Preki? How do they help your point. But anyways, since you want to go there. Tchani and Martina are light years ahead of Nane and Hscanovic. See what I just did?

Anyways, where I disagree with you is where you try and say people disliked Preki so they didn't approve of his moves. I say people disliked Preki because of the moves he made. You aren't going to convince me that Preki and Winter are doing the same things, and therefore if I didn't like Preki then I shouldn't like Winter. Which is exactly what you are asking of people.

Beach_Red
04-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Nobody is bigger than the team, I see the difference between the Preki and Winter's methods as follows;

Preki tried to set a culture by being an ass.

Winter is trying to do it with respect and class.

They may have both set out for the same goal but one is doing it very differently, not to mention with very different football tactics.

And you really got the feeling Preki was building a team for MLS circa 2005 and Winter is a building a team going forward.

The reason Preki and Mo could have been fired when they were is that it was clear the team was as good as it was going to get and that wasn't good enough.

ManUtd4ever
04-08-2011, 11:54 AM

With all due respect, I have to agree with Pachuco. Maicon Santos is the only positive remnant of the Preki era. Otherwise, the players that have been acquired by Winter and Mariner seem to have a greater level of skill and overall football pedigree than all of the other players acquired by Preki last season, with the exception of Mista, who wasn't utilized properly.

Furthermore, there is a stark contrast in the style of football that Preki and Winter chose to implement. The current tactical awareness of the club is already more visible than it was last season, and will prove to be far more entertaining as the players get fully integrated in Winter's system. Hopefully, the results on the pitch will follow...

Darlofletch
04-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Preki didn't bring in DeRo or Barrett.

His vision of "team first" was very similar, but the similarity ends there,

I know that. my point was that winter for varying reasons (unhappy or too expensive) got rid of them, even though they're skilled players.

It's not all as black and white as "preki got rid of skill players" "winter would never do that" is all I'm saying.

ManUtd4ever
04-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I know that. my point was that winter for varying reasons (unhappy or too expensive) got rid of them, even though they're skilled players.

It's not all as black and white as "preki got rid of skill players" "winter would never do that" is all I'm saying.

Yes, but as you stated, there are justifiable reasons regarding DeRo and Barrett. Barrett was slated to earn 300K this season which is far too excessive for a player of his caliber, and DeRo presented Winter with a no win situation that he managed to parlay into 3 future assets.

Preki got rid of talented players for little in return.

Darlofletch
04-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Yes, but as you stated, there are justifiable reasons regarding DeRo and Barrett. Barrett was slated to earn 300K this season which is far too excessive for a player of his caliber, and DeRo presented Winter with a no win situation that he managed to parlay into 3 future assets.

Preki got rid of talented players for little in return.

because he thought that's what was best for the team, and the team comes first. same reason as why winter's making decisions about players.

anyway, I'll stop now. I have more faith in what Winter's doing than in what Preki did, and i think he's doing a better job of it as well.

i was just amused at people embracing "no player bigger than the team" now, when his interpretation of that idea is one of the main things people hold against preki.

Jeffro
04-08-2011, 12:34 PM
That is not one of the main things people hold against Preki, that's absurd. "No one is bigger than the team"- team sports 101, the basics.

Darlofletch
04-08-2011, 12:49 PM
"his interpretation of..." was the key to that statement.

Jeffro
04-08-2011, 12:59 PM
"his interpretation of..." was the key to that statement.

So... his interpretation was different then? So then Winter is not doing the same thing? Meaning some people might not have liked Preki's approach, but are more happy with Winter's approach?

CretanBull
04-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I like Winter, I think that he's on the right track but the irony of a "no one is bigger than the team" message coming from a coach who put his policy ahead of league rules can't go without mention.

tfcleeds
04-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Preki's view wasn't so much "No one is bigger than the club" as it was "No one is bigger than me". He shipped out just about everyone with one iota of leadership skill/influence in the locker room. So you can't really compare the two.

I'd much rather watch Winter ball than Preki ball anyday.

CretanBull
04-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Preki's view wasn't so much "No one is bigger than the club" as it was "No one is bigger than me". He shipped out just about everyone with one iota of leadership skill/influence in the locker room. So you can't really compare the two.

My comment was in reference to Winter, not Preki!

I'd much rather watch Winter ball than Preki ball anyday.

Agreed 100%. Three games into the season and I'm willing to name him the best coach that we've had....he's also the coach who's been given the most freedom to do what he wanted....that makes me hate MO even more!

Alixir
04-08-2011, 01:31 PM
err interview of tchani is online
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2933lol they picked him up from the airport and drove him to the stadium in a pick-up truck?? :fluffy:

tfcleeds
04-08-2011, 01:32 PM
My comment was in reference to Winter, not Preki!

Wasn't in reference to your post CB, was towards those who think Winter and Preki's views/methods were more or less the same.

CretanBull
04-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Wasn't in reference to your post CB, was towards those who think Winter and Preki's views/methods were more or less the same.

Ah, gotcha! And I couldn't agree more! Preki had to purge the team of its leadership before he could demand to be "the man" - he wanted players to be affraid and fall in line. Winter has been a leader, he's set a tone and has challenged the players to step up. There's a world of difference between the two IMO.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 02:12 PM
for the most part coaches are always going to rid of players they dont want and bring in players that fit their system, just makes sense, its how they do it coupled with how successful they are that is key and defines them

Whoop
04-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Didn't Preki WANT to get rid of DeRo while Winter/Mariner didn't, but essentially had to?

Oldtimer
04-08-2011, 02:46 PM
^ That's a correct interpretation.

CretanBull
04-08-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't want to open a can of worms, but there's a level of debate about how much Winter/Mariner wanted to keep DeRo. If they really wanted to keep him, they could have made it happen...on the flip side, I'm sure they were worried about coming in and getting rid of the team's star player. I think they did enough to satisfy fans but not enough to make any kind of real attempt to keep DeRo - a move that I think that they are entirely entitled to make btw, I just think that their moves were more about PR than actual attempts to keep DeRo.

mastermixer
04-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't want to open a can of worms, but there's a level of debate about how much Winter/Mariner wanted to keep DeRo. If they really wanted to keep him, they could have made it happen...on the flip side, I'm sure they were worried about coming in and getting rid of the team's star player. I think they did enough to satisfy fans but not enough to make any kind of real attempt to keep DeRo - a move that I think that they are entirely entitled to make btw, I just think that their moves were more about PR than actual attempts to keep DeRo.
From what has been rumoured around, DeRo was not going to stay with TFC unless he was the highest paid player. With JDG on the team making a couple of mil, I don't think that was possible.

CretanBull
04-08-2011, 03:26 PM
From what has been rumoured around, DeRo was not going to stay with TFC unless he was the highest paid player. With JDG on the team making a couple of mil, I don't think that was possible.

I'm 99.9% sure that isn't true...the only way that it is true is if things changed between the last time I spoke to someone close to him about the situation and when he finally left.

I can say for certain that before this lastest drama, DeRo was not looking for or expecting as much as/more than JDG.

TFCRegina
04-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm 99.9% sure that isn't true...the only way that it is true is if things changed between the last time I spoke to someone close to him about the situation and when he finally left.

I can say for certain that before this lastest drama, DeRo was not looking for or expecting as much as/more than JDG.

What he was looking for was a pay increase and a guarantee. The last offer TFC made him was a pay decrease, no guarantee (unless he played 75% of the games), and a way for TFC to force him out of his contract early.

CretanBull
04-08-2011, 07:00 PM
What he was looking for was a pay increase and a guarantee. The last offer TFC made him was a pay decrease, no guarantee (unless he played 75% of the games), and a way for TFC to force him out of his contract early.

Yup!

boban
04-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Catch Toronto FC At RSBG (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/catch-toronto-fc-rsbg)
Fuck off!!!!!!!

denime
04-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Fuck off!!!!!!!

Why me,what did I do to you? :D

boban
04-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Why me,what did I do to you? :D
Not you. Them .. They could go fuck off!!!!!!!