PDA

View Full Version : Do you have GolTV?

werewolf
04-08-2011, 12:28 AM
21 matches this season on GolTV, instead of CBC.

$3/month may not be much, but the principle of making it harder, and paying MLSE more, to watch matches is a bit unsettling. And with the prominence of free internet streams, its less of an absolute necessity to buy specialty channels.

lobo
04-08-2011, 01:20 AM
finding TFC games on web streams is not easy ... you can watch games from euro regional leagues and the smallest SA clubs any time, but nobody seems to stream any TFC games ... wonder if there are any RPB who would be willing to broadcast streams of GolTV games for the rest of us?

Brooker
04-08-2011, 01:24 AM
It's great value for money.

Redcoe15
04-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Yup, I got'er. It'll come in handy, seeing as TFC are putting most of their games there this year. But it's still a shortsighted move coming from an outfit, like MLSE, known for their shortsightedness.

torontocelt
04-08-2011, 06:10 AM
worth it for the real and barca matches alone

Fort York Redcoat
04-08-2011, 06:32 AM
No but I got a friend that does. His name is Joe.

Whoop
04-08-2011, 06:46 AM

LOL... this.

TOBOR !
04-08-2011, 07:10 AM
I have access to all manner of signals.

zeelaw
04-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Yeah, great value for money. They also have great shows like Soccer Shrines...

I will say that MLS weekly has by far the worst production values I've ever seen and I work in community television...

fergiejr
04-08-2011, 07:14 AM
I have GOLTV. I also have FoxSports. I have all the SportsNETs and TSNs. It makes for some great sports viewing, and also a nice hefty $120 / mo television bill.

I am thinking of adding Setanta so I can watch some SPL games. Don't ask me why - maybe just to see Edu playing again.

But I think it is money well spent. When the wife is not around, the TV is always on one of those channels ....

fergiejr
04-08-2011, 07:16 AM

I will say that MLS weekly has by far the worst production values I've ever seen and I work in community television...

MLS weekly seems like it's done in some guy's basement - some guy who talks with a high squeaky voice and is trying to sound better. The music is louder than the voice over, and it makes it really hard to watch. I just turn the volume off and watch the action - I can usually figure out what is going on - if they cheer, it's a goal...

Nuvinho
04-08-2011, 07:20 AM
I have GolTV, not only for TFC games, but they have Bundesliga and La Liga games on as well.

Nuvinho
04-08-2011, 07:21 AM

Is the voice on MLS weekly a generated computer voice? It sure sounds like one.

ganzo_thebest
04-08-2011, 07:26 AM

Sounds like dan gargan from pookie's videos....

kaos197O
04-08-2011, 07:34 AM
It's great value for money.

It really is.

I am with Bell and no longer am able to get Fox Soccer Canada. They cover the leagues that I follow, mainly Bundesliga but I also catch the odd game from the Spanish league. They also cover a fair bit of Brazilian footy so to me, it's well worth $3 a month. I do wish that all TFC games, through bell, were in HD as promised but I can live without it.

Sure beats Setenta's $20 a month price tag.

Oldtimer
04-08-2011, 07:36 AM
I subscribe to the official MLS online streaming instead. Gives me all of the teams and most of the games for a small price.

I would subscribe to GOL if I had cable, which I don't.

flambe
04-08-2011, 07:36 AM
When the wife is not around, the TV is always on one of those channels ....

+1

:D

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 07:39 AM
yep love bundesliga and la liga action (obviously along with TFC and whatever south american league theyre showing)

Nodoubtguy
04-08-2011, 07:54 AM
TFC and La Liga.....well worth it

ManUtd4ever
04-08-2011, 08:12 AM
I've had GolTV since it's inception well before MLSE bought the network. The extensive coverage of La Liga and Bundesliga alone is well worth the minimal cost.

From a personal standpoint, I have always found GolTV TFC broadcasts to be superior to CBC or Sportsnet, with better camera angles, and Luke Wileman calling the play on the pitch.

However, I also agree that it is a shortsighted maneuver on the part of MLSE that will result in minimal exposure for TFC on a regional and national level.

tfcleeds
04-08-2011, 08:29 AM
I watch my footy at the pub.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 08:33 AM
I've had GolTV since it's inception well before MLSE bought the network. The extensive coverage of La Liga and Bundesliga alone is well worth the minimal cost.

From a personal standpoint, I have always found GolTV TFC broadcasts to be superior to CBC or Sportsnet, with better camera angles, and Luke Wileman calling the play on the pitch.

However, I also agree that it is a shortsighted maneuver on the part of MLSE that will result in minimal exposure for TFC on a regional and national level.

Agreed to a t.
I just wonder after 5 years with exposure on all those other channels, what else they could do to drive interest in winnipeg for tfc. Its not like any of the games on those other channels had huge ratings. Also I see this as a cross promotion with greater emphasis on goltv instead of tfc.

dupont
04-08-2011, 08:57 AM
I don't have cable television. I stream what I can and watch the rest at a friends house.
I just hate all TV shows so I feel like it's not worth paying so much for cable just to watch soccer.

C.Ronaldo
04-08-2011, 09:07 AM
CBC use to stream games to.

I doubt GOL TV will

C.Ronaldo
04-08-2011, 09:08 AM
I don't have cable television. I stream what I can and watch the rest at a friends house.
I just hate all TV shows so I feel like it's not worth paying so much for cable just to watch soccer.

same boat.

i dont see the point in spending $60/month when i watch about 1hour of cable a night, half of which I get for free in HD via an antenna.

p.s netflix rocks.

jaahuuu
04-08-2011, 09:17 AM
I get the American GolTV, not GolTV Canada. As it stands right now the only TFC game I can watch on tv at home is the one against NYRB on October 1, on Fox Soccer Channel...

...but I'll be at the game. :)

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 09:26 AM
CBC use to stream games to.

I doubt GOL TV will

public vs private channels

Ossington Mental Youth
I get the American GolTV, not GolTV Canada. As it stands right now the only TFC game I can watch on tv at home is the one against NYRB on October 1, on Fox Soccer Channel...

...but I'll be at the game. :)

ah but cant you get teh mls game center thing for 40$ for the season?

Carts
I have GOL TV... I have TSN / TSN2, all the SportsNet Channels, HBO, TMN, Superchannel, Movietime, time-stretch which basically is a package that has the same programs on 3-hours later etc etc etc...

Basically only foreign language channels I don't have...

I don't watch much TV, but I like the option of having it and enjoy it when I do...

I usually watch games at the pub - always watch home games from my seats at BMO, but could watch at home if I wanted...

I know people are floor licking pissed about having to pay (GASP!) for a service (that being GOLTV) but unfortunately, that's how our economy works...

Remember, we all PAY FOR CBC. It comes right out of your taxes. It ain't free...

My beers at the pub weren't free last night either... Maybe I should complain...

Carts...

Technorgasm
04-08-2011, 09:32 AM
who is that cure girl that does the TFC presenting?

she used to do leafs?
umm . . drawing a blank here. .

in any case I think this is her (http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/14/129157562016168222.gif)

ManUtd4ever
04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I have GOL TV... I have TSN / TSN2, all the SportsNet Channels, HBO, TMN, Superchannel, Movietime, time-stretch which basically is a package that has the same programs on 3-hours later etc etc etc...

Basically only foreign language channels I don't have...

I don't watch much TV, but I like the option of having it and enjoy it when I do...

I usually watch games at the pub - always watch home games from my seats at BMO, but could watch at home if I wanted...

I know people are floor licking pissed about having to pay (GASP!) for a service (that being GOLTV) but unfortunately, that's how our economy works...

Remember, we all PAY FOR CBC. It comes right out of your taxes. And get this, way more than $3 of your taxes go to CBC each month... It ain't free...

My beers at the pub weren't free last night either... Maybe I should complain...

Carts...

Well said. It's interesting that it seems to be more of an issue this year considering that GolTV carried many TFC games in the past. I think some TFC supporters are primarily upset that Vancouver will be getting more exposure in regional and national markets. Then again, the rest of the country likes to hate on Toronto anyway so it might not make much of a difference, especially with Montreal being added to the mix next season. Looking ahead, TFC will be Ontario's team not Canada's team.

Technorgasm
04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I watch my footy at the pub.

ANDY PETRILLO!!! (http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/14/129157562016168222.gif)

haha thats it. . . . ya. . . its her.. .

dupont
04-08-2011, 09:39 AM

Our economy works in both directions though. The consumer has to pay for goods but the supplier of the goods has to face the consequences if those consumers don't want to pay. MLSE is learning all about that from a lot of the decisions they have made with TFC.

It may seem like it is the TFC fans that simply have to deal with this but I think that the opposite scenario is much more likely. That MLSE will simply have to deal with people not subscribing to GolTV and as a result TFC just gets even lower average television ratings than usual. Which of course leads to less knowledge, awareness and excitement about the team.

If I was running a business that was clearly running out of the steam it used to have, I would certainly try to put it out there in places where more people would have access to it, not less.

rocker
04-08-2011, 09:56 AM
If I was running a business that was clearly running out of the steam it used to have, I would certainly try to put it out there in places where more people would have access to it, not less.

I agree. Certainly blackouts never worked for the CFL. This could be seen as a blackout to some degree.

Although I will say that I think the worst games in the history of the team have been those road games that were often shown on Sportsnet. I'm not sure that's the best advertising for TFC! I'd probably only want home games shown on widespread television, with road games hidden on GolTV. ;)

Carts
04-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Our economy works in both directions though. The consumer has to pay for goods but the supplier of the goods has to face the consequences if those consumers don't want to pay. MLSE is learning all about that from a lot of the decisions they have made with TFC.

It may seem like it is the TFC fans that simply have to deal with this but I think that the opposite scenario is much more likely. That MLSE will simply have to deal with people not subscribing to GolTV and as a result TFC just gets even lower average television ratings than usual. Which of course leads to less knowledge, awareness and excitement about the team.

Absolutely...

I just find it funny when people say "cbc is free" when you actually do pay for it...

The myths that people around here post as fact about television is comical - and to be honest embarrassing for the posters...

And I 100% agree with your last paragraph. Right now they should be looking for 'maximum exposure at minimal cost/inconvinience to the consumer'...

They almost need to look at the team when looking at their business. The team is "rebuilding" and they should look at their consumers the same way... The plan is to rebuild the roster and culter with the team, so that the future brings championships - they should look to rebuild the excitment and trust of the fans - which in the future will mean $$$ for the company...

Carts...

nfitz
04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Is the voice on MLS weekly a generated computer voice? It sure sounds like one.It was Luke Wileman last season. I was wondering if it was Adrian Serioux this season.

I think part of the problem with it is the pounding, loud, monotonous music for every game. It's just mind-numbing. The script is poor, and whoever is reading it is poorly directed. I'd really like to watch this ... I just can't deal with the noise ...

Though it's not quite as bad as the new "Canadian Football Weekly" that come on right afterwards. How can someone with such poor English host a TV show? And if their English is so poor, why shoot it in a windy stadium, where the wind is louder than the speaker? The individual pieces were far better, but the linking pieces were awful.

dupont
04-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Absolutely...

I just find it funny when people say "cbc is free" when you actually do pay for it...

The myths that people around here post as fact about television is comical - and to be honest embarrassing for the posters...

And I 100% agree with your last paragraph. Right now they should be looking for 'maximum exposure at minimal cost/inconvinience to the consumer'...

They almost need to look at the team when looking at their business. The team is "rebuilding" and they should look at their consumers the same way... The plan is to rebuild the roster and culter with the team, so that the future brings championships - they should look to rebuild the excitment and trust of the fans - which in the future will mean $$$ for the company...

Carts...

Oh haha! I just realized we are on the exact same page here...

You were just commenting on how people were outraged even though they are already paying a bundle for TV. I agree with you there. (that is why I don't pay for any television except for CBC like you mentioned)

The problem for TFC and promotion issues isn't so much that Goltv is too expensive.. it's that you have to actively seek it out and subscribe to it. I think that TFC just can't afford to take that approach at this point since apathy is running high and they will need new people to stumble upon the team by the happy accident of it being shown on some channel they already have.

lobo
04-08-2011, 10:28 AM
ANDY PETRILLO!!! (http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/14/129157562016168222.gif)

haha thats it. . . . ya. . . its her.. .

well done, sir ... laughed out loud (literally)

Gazza
04-08-2011, 10:42 AM
My second favourite channel.

First would be the Swiss Chalet Rotisserie channel.

Pachuco
04-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Absolutely...

Carts...

I think you are looking way too much into what people are saying about CBC being free because you are in the industry. Technically, CBC is free if you use an over the air antenna. Which are becoming more and more popular in households. Secondly, I'm sure you know what people mean when they have to pay for a specialty sports channel on top of just using what they get included in their basic cable package. Sure it's technically not free in that case, but come on, you know exactly what people are saying. Nobody is embarassing themselves.

Carts
04-08-2011, 10:54 AM
I think you are looking way too much into what people are saying about CBC being free because you are in the industry. Technically, CBC is free if you use an over the air antenna. Which are becoming more and more popular in households. Secondly, I'm sure you know what people mean when they have to pay for a specialty sports channel on top of just using what they get included in their basic cable package. Sure it's technically not free in that case, but come on, you know exactly what people are saying. Nobody is embarassing themselves.

100% incorrect... CBC is not free - antenna or no, you pay for it in your taxes...

CBC is only free if you are unemployed and on full social assistance, or a dependant of someone else...

If you pay federal taxes of any kind - you pay for it...

The embarrassing thing wasn't about the CBC thing - the BS people post about the TV industry and people/companies in it (other thread) as fact was embarrassing to some posters...

The funny thing this is an example of the 'posting as fact'. You flat out say "Technically, CBC is free if you use an over the air antenna" which is not true at all...

As for cost, a very kind poster informed me the cost of CBC is just over $2 per month ($27 a year) - so just under the cost of GOL tv, so "technically" people can complain that its 'more expensive' on GOL.

HOWEVER, you could cancel GOL tv after the season, making it cheaper than CBC...

Anyway - this isn't really the point of the thread...

Carts...

Carts
04-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Here's MOD Carts telling poster Carts to "GET BACK ON TOPIC!" LOL :D

:topic:

I should report my own post as off-topic!

Pachuco
04-08-2011, 11:02 AM
100% incorrect... CBC is not free - antenna or no, you pay for it in your taxes...

CBC is only free if you are unemployed and on full social assistance, or a dependant of someone else...

If you pay federal taxes of any kind - you pay for it...

The embarrassing thing wasn't about the CBC thing - the BS people post about the TV industry and people/companies in it (other thread) as fact was embarrassing to some posters...

The funny thing this is an example of the 'posting as fact'. You flat out say "Technically, CBC is free if you use an over the air antenna" which is not true at all...

As for cost, a very kind poster informed me the cost of CBC is just over $2 per month ($27 a year) - so just under the cost of GOL tv, so "technically" people can complain that its 'more expensive' on GOL.

HOWEVER, you could cancel GOL tv after the season, making it cheaper than CBC...

Anyway - this isn't really the point of the thread...

Carts...

You know, I was going to pre-empt that argument but I didn't even think you'd go there. It's isn't free because people pay taxes? WOW. When people throw the term free health care around, or not having to pay for education, do you really think they mean that literally? once again, looking waaaaay too much into statements being made.

Carts
04-08-2011, 11:05 AM
You know, I was going to pre-empt that argument but I didn't even think you'd go there. It's isn't free because people pay taxes? WOW. When people throw the term free health care around, or not having to pay for education, do you really think they mean that literally? once again, looking waaaaay too much into statements being made.

Actually, I say that about Health Care and the cost of University too (that we do pay for the services)... LOL

But anyway - back to topic... (I don't want to report myself LOL)...

Auzzy
04-08-2011, 11:32 AM
I subscribe to the official MLS online streaming instead. Gives me all of the teams and most of the games for a small price.

I would subscribe to GOL if I had cable, which I don't.

Wow, I guess I'm another oldtimer. This is the EXACT situation I'm in.

If I were to get cable, getting TSN would be much more expensive for me than getting GOL. But I won't get cable (or satellite TV) anyway, because I'm worried about the amount of time and money I & the rest of the family would waste with it. Away games on TSN (blocked on the MLS stream), I guess I'll be watching at a pub with tfcleeds...

I agree that too many games on GOL TV is bad for exposure. I wish some games were still on CBC, especially if I could finally figure out how to set up my new external antenna for "free" HD over the air...

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 11:59 AM
im not trying to bust balls by any means but when people watch games at the bar/pub do people drink/eat? how much does that cost?

Im just doing price comparison eat/drink vs cable in general

tfcleeds
04-08-2011, 12:05 PM
^Of course, watching the game in a pub will cost more on a per game basis, unless you plan on sipping ice water. But I don't have TV, can't be bothered, all I watch is sports, and I'd prefer to watch in the company of fellow footy supporters, so I don't mind paying the extra $$$.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
^Of course, watching the game in a pub will cost more on a per game basis, unless you plan on sipping ice water. But I don't have TV, can't be bothered, all I watch is sports, and I'd prefer to watch in the company of fellow footy supporters, so I don't mind paying the extra $$$.

this makes sense to me.
just wondering about those with tvs etc.

Auzzy
04-08-2011, 12:17 PM
^ tfcleeds beat me to it. Yes I spend money at a bar/pub, regardless of whether I'm there to watch TFC or not.

The comparison of TSN on cable at home (and all the extra crud you would end up paying for & watching if you got cable plus TSN), and watching footy at a pub, is about much more than $.

Anyway, I can't remember how much it would cost to get a new subscription with Rogers cable, incl. digital (which is all they seem to offer to new subscribers) & TSN, but it was SCARY. I will likely end up spending much less over the year at pubs in order to watch the TFC away games that are on TSN.

jaahuuu
04-08-2011, 12:52 PM
ah but cant you get teh mls game center thing for 40$ for the season?
Direct kick? I think it's $80 for the season, it's not worth it since I'll be at almost all the TFC home games and 1 away game. I already pay $150 a month for cable, I'm looking to cut that down not add more to it.

zeelaw
04-08-2011, 12:56 PM

I wouldn't think so as it takes longer to type/correct stuff then it is to just say it...

zeelaw
04-08-2011, 12:57 PM
*Monitors for CBC bashing argument to break out hahaha

Auzzy
04-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Direct Kick is an MLS satellite TV channel. I don't even know if it's available in Canada.

I think he means the "MLS Match Day Live" which is an official online streaming service by MLS. It was $40 for the season if you ordered up until last week; now it's $60.

$150 a month for cable, wow, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid... ;)

MKR
04-08-2011, 01:01 PM
I have Bell TV and the shittiest thing about Bell concerning Goltv is that i have to buy the whole package that GOl TV comes in which includes the awesomeness of fight tv, the fishing network and something else equally as unwatchable. the cost for this is $5 a month. Just got off the phone having made the order.

BFin
04-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Wouldn't 3 bucks a month still be cheaper than watching at Joe's? Unless you buy nothing during the 2-3 hours you're there.

Hitcho
04-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I have Gol TV and am happy to pay the fee given the content, but in view of the reduced attendances and overall interest in TFC over the last couple of seasons, it's kind of stupid to put the games on a channel that gets hardly any coverage. The market of people who will subscribe to Gol based on the TFC games going there is small, and those people likely already follow and spend money on TFC anyway. Would have been much better to get it on a well known national broadcaster and ramp up the advertising to increase awareness...

werewolf
04-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Wouldn't 3 bucks a month still be cheaper than watching at Joe's? Unless you buy nothing during the 2-3 hours you're there.

I think that whole argument is irrelevant. If TFC don't play, you are still going to have to eat, and still will be drinking beer. $10 burger and a $7 pint is cheaper then eating filet mignon at home with a bottle of dom perignon.

I don't have an issue with $3, its putting the game on GolTV when CBC wanted it. Its like ticket price increase, $2/game isn't bad, but then its $2 the next year, and $2 the year after that. The principle of the whole matter.

TFCDP
04-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I hate to say it, I would probably pay $20 for gol tv.. I just can't miss any games and even if I go somewhere to watch them, I almost always watch them again when I get home (pvr).

barticusz
04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Anyone have GolTV in edmonton? I'm told that shaw only has the standard def version of the channel but I was hoping that the TFC games would still be broadcast in HD.

rocker
04-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I already pay $150 a month for cable, I'm looking to cut that down not add more to it.

how much TV do you watch? That's a shitload of money to spend on TV.

I find my habits are changing. I barely watch TV anymore. I only watch soccer and the 6 o clock news. But with all the streams, and HD antennas, I'm thinking of ditching cable altogether. All these costs are pissing me off.. cable.. internet... phone.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 03:26 PM
yeah 150 is bonkers, you must have all the film channels etc etc, im paying 70 for second tier with a couple of extra soccer channels, i do watch alot tho

LittleOzzy
04-08-2011, 03:35 PM
I'll never subscribe to GolTV.

I already have over 10 sports channels, TFC should be on one of them instead of hiding on some fringe channel.

Out of sight, out of mind for most fans, bad move by MLSE.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 04:53 PM
id be willing to bet that this move over to gol is partially a gamble/experiment along with making use of a pretty much dead channel over the euro off season. Its an attempt to see how many people would follow the team to a separate pay channel

nfitz
04-08-2011, 05:10 PM

I already have over 10 sports channels, TFC should be on one of them instead of hiding on some fringe channel.I'm surprised a TFC supporter isn't willing to drop an amount that is less than a single TTC fare a month.

Do you walk to games?

Batman
04-08-2011, 05:14 PM
I have no prob with Goltv pricing.

Now, don't get me started about Sentanta. I will not pay $15 for a single tv channel. No way.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 05:17 PM
especially one that shows rugby for huge amounts of time

DangerRed
04-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Wow - MLSE is so lucky. I'm not aware of many other companies who get unprompted market research done for them by the fans of their teams. Way to go!:rolleyes:

werewolf
04-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Wow - MLSE is so lucky. I'm not aware of many other companies who get unprompted market research done for them by the fans of their teams. Way to go!:rolleyes:

You mean MLSE can't compare the numbers of there own network? If not for this thread, they don't know what the ratings are from games on CBC/TSN to games on GolTV? They don't know how many more people have ordered the channel since they announced the number of games would be on that network?

We spoke out against unfair ticket price raises for 4 years here before they finally took the smallest action.

LittleOzzy
04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm surprised a TFC supporter isn't willing to drop an amount that is less than a single TTC fare a month.

Do you walk to games?

It's not about the money, it's about being on a channel that no one needs or wants.

We have 5 bloody Sportsnets and 2 TSN's, plus the CBC, The Score, TFC belongs on a major sports network, not some garbage digital channel.

Out of sight, out of mind for most soccer fans across the country.

nfitz
04-08-2011, 08:09 PM
It's not about the money, it's about being on a channel that no one needs or wants.It's got 20 TFC games, tons of other TFC reports, other MLS games ...

No one needs it? Seems like everyone here needs it. Compare to many of the other channels on the dial ... many of which I've never watched.

There's entire channels devoted to things like ... sit down ... fishing!

scooter
04-08-2011, 08:24 PM
feck goal tv is a bargain
my new decision is to stop paying for setanta its gone up and epl game coverage has gone down but they have the sunday games locked up and i cant go out every sunday to the kilt although i would love too

Klinsmann
04-08-2011, 08:36 PM
yes, I got golTV like 3 yrs ago for a TFC game. I've kept it ever since.
I love to watch the german games too...

Horvath
04-08-2011, 09:12 PM
MLS Match Day Live for $59.99/year is a steal. Offers good quality video, Picture in Picture, Mosaic (3 games at once), full DVR/PVR functionality, and all games from 2010 and 2011 in a streaming Archive.

According to the blackout rules for MDL "Vancouver Games broadcast on Rogers WILL stream on MDL and All Toronto FC games broadcast on GolTV will also stream on MDL"

I enjoy not paying for cable/satellite and knowing I'm not sending my money to Rogers/Bell.

As for not being able to view the live feed for games broadcast on TSN, there's always ways.

All they need now for MDL is a way to view it directly from your Xbox 360, Playstation 3, or Wii console like Netflix and we would be set.

Carts
04-09-2011, 10:17 AM
For those who have GOLtv...

New York Red Bull vs Philadelphia Union 7pm tonight on GOL...

Looking forward to this match as a setup to Toronto/San Jose later on...

Carts...

netsan
04-09-2011, 11:48 AM
GOLTV HD should be broadcasting on Rogers' HD Preview Channel 499.

(GolTV website and TFC websites don't mention it!!!)

nfitz
04-09-2011, 12:16 PM
The folks at GOL TV have been tweeting that nobody has picked up the HD broadcast and the only place it will be in HD is at the Real Sports bar across from the ACC.

I'd guess that Rogers might not be as eager to co-operate after not winning the broadcast rights to any TFC MLS games ... though they've still got the Voyageurs Cup games.

I wonder why they don't just air the TFC games on the Leafs TV HD channel - which has nothing scheduled this evening.

Kc17
04-09-2011, 12:34 PM
I have GolTV, and I really like the channel. Since I'm on Bell, its pretty much the only soccer dedicated English speaking channel available to me at a fair price. I prefer TFC games on GolTV to those on RSN as well, production quality in seasons past just seemed poor on Sportsnet, and I'm not a fan of Dobson/Forrest commentating.

I can definitely understand being pissed off about this move though, if I didn't have GolTV, i'd be furious that the majority of the games will be on it this season. Does anyone know who will be doing the GolTV broadcasts this year? I'm guessing Wileman and deVos?

boban
04-09-2011, 05:04 PM
You under their payroll genius?

Yagbod
04-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Is this seriously not in HD tonight? Is this the fucking stone age?!?
At the moment the game is not listed anywhere on TV, at least on the Rogers onscreen guide. Bush-league shit, this is.

Torontotonto
04-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Anyone know of any online streams for this match.
All the one's I used to use don't work anymore.
Don't have GolTv

Thx.

Blowing Bubbles
04-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Not being in HD is a fucking joke. Come the fuck on.

TorontoGooner
04-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Just got it. Its the nuts! Didn't realise they show other MLS games as well.

Looks like I'm not taking the missus out for dinner tonight!

twistedchinaman
04-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Plus most cable/sat companies have GOL as a pick and pay, which means you can drop it like its hot, drop it like its hot at any time.

twistedchinaman
04-09-2011, 07:42 PM
I have GolTV, and I really like the channel. Since I'm on Bell, its pretty much the only soccer dedicated English speaking channel available to me at a fair price. I prefer TFC games on GolTV to those on RSN as well, production quality in seasons past just seemed poor on Sportsnet, and I'm not a fan of Dobson/Forrest commentating.

I can definitely understand being pissed off about this move though, if I didn't have GolTV, i'd be furious that the majority of the games will be on it this season. Does anyone know who will be doing the GolTV broadcasts this year? I'm guessing Wileman and deVos?

Wileman is with TSN now, I doubt he'll be doing the calls...GOL should get Nigel Reed to call the games (since the guy isn't doing much other than writing these days)

nfitz
04-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Wileman is with TSN now, I doubt he'll be doing the calls...The press release a couple of days ago from GOL TV said Wileman would be doing the calls - but the colour commentary would vary.

TFC07
04-09-2011, 07:56 PM

I already have over 10 sports channels, TFC should be on one of them instead of hiding on some fringe channel.

Out of sight, out of mind for most fans, bad move by MLSE.

Agreed.

By judging this poll, I highly doubt your average TFC fan would have GolTV either. The fact only about 65% of hardcore TFC fans and TFC supporters have this channel also says a lot too. Well done ML$E. Killing TFC one step at a time.

TFC is quickly becoming Canadian version of Metro New York soccer team (they're now called Red Bull New York). Look at RBNY fanbase right now? That is going to be Toronto in a few years if ML$E keep this up.

boban
04-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I wonder why they don't just air the TFC games on the Leafs TV HD channel - which has nothing scheduled this evening.
Because GolTV is not 100% owned by MLSE.

boban
04-09-2011, 08:03 PM
The press release a couple of days ago from GOL TV said Wileman would be doing the calls - but the colour commentary would vary.
The play by play will vary also with Dan Dunleavy.

nfitz
04-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Because GolTV is not 100% owned by MLSE.Probably not an issue as GolTV is over 80% owned by MLSE. When I asked them earlier today, they said they couldn't because Maple Leafs HD is not a full-time station. Presumably they have negotiated it's carriage in advance only for particular date/times.

nfitz
04-09-2011, 08:25 PM
The play by play will vary also with Dan Dunleavy.True - as there are some games for which Wileman will be unavailable.

sloangraham
04-09-2011, 09:38 PM
who pays only $3/month for GOLtv? Is this on Rogers??

i have to cough up $10/month to get it through Bell's bullshit "theme pack" set-up.

netsan
04-09-2011, 10:09 PM
No HD??? What is this 1997? POS GOLTV.... Don't say that we are broadcasting in HD when noone can get it!!!

mastermixer
04-09-2011, 10:27 PM
I guess we are rebuilding in the broadcast side too. Horrible production today, way to sell the game MLSE

dawkins
04-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Remember, we all PAY FOR CBC. It comes right out of your taxes. It ain't free...

Carts...

And now that the CRTC has allowed CBC and other "frre" airwave channels to charge bell and rogers for selling the channel you know that we are going to be adding more to the tax money that they already get!

sloangraham
04-09-2011, 10:35 PM
I guess we are rebuilding in the broadcast side too. Horrible production today, way to sell the game MLSE
"uh..use camera four"

and wtf is with the random petrillo interjections about MLSE's blood drive and whatever else?? the whole thing just sounds strange without deVos (or any colour commentator, for that matter).

mastermixer
04-09-2011, 10:38 PM
And notice all the ads during the game are for real sports bar and eleven restaurant which MLSE owns. Self promotion at it's finest.

Pachuco
04-09-2011, 10:39 PM
I can say this with confidence. This GolTV broadcast is an absolute disaster. Shitty grainy video. Shaking cameras (particularly the close up ones). Horrendous choice of camera shots and going from one view to another.

I'm puking in my mouth watching this pathetic production.

dawkins
04-09-2011, 10:40 PM
sadly there are no other options

Dreadlocks
04-09-2011, 11:55 PM
GolHD is channel 1412 on Bell TV - but the game was not shown.

Was there an actual HD broadcast?

Carts
04-10-2011, 12:56 AM
GolHD is channel 1412 on Bell TV - but the game was not shown.

Was there an actual HD broadcast?

There was no HD broadcast of the match...

I watched on the regular channel (on my provider in Toronto), checked the preview channel as well, no HD - sent a msg and was told "there is no HD broadcast of this match"...

Carts...

nascarguy
04-10-2011, 01:12 AM
goltv sucks you can not pay me to watch that shit TSN did a better job

Glory_Hunter
04-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Houston v Vancouver will be shown nationally on Sportsnet tonight in HD.

rocker
04-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I can say this with confidence. This GolTV broadcast is an absolute disaster. Shitty grainy video. Shaking cameras (particularly the close up ones). Horrendous choice of camera shots and going from one view to another.

ya, what was up with the closeups of individual players while the play was going on? And replays while the play was going on?

The only thing I liked was Wileman as the lone voice. That meant he focused mainly on the action on the pitch and didn't have little chit chats with a colour man. It reminded me of some of those traditional British football match broadcasts where there's one commentator and he just talks about the action on the pitch, nothing more.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-10-2011, 09:34 AM
was talking to my buddy who works for MLSE (does the sound for diff games etc) and apparently they use the local stream. I agree it was easily some of the worst camera work ive ever seen. Apparently too, and perhaps someone can confirm this, they might have been using a wide screen shot which supposedly explain why they wouldnt follow the ball. Regardless goltv has got to do something about this cuz the first half was absolutely horrid, second half only a bit better

Pachuco
04-10-2011, 09:47 AM
ya, what was up with the closeups of individual players while the play was going on? And replays while the play was going on?

The only thing I liked was Wileman as the lone voice. That meant he focused mainly on the action on the pitch and didn't have little chit chats with a colour man. It reminded me of some of those traditional British football match broadcasts where there's one commentator and he just talks about the action on the pitch, nothing more.

Agreed. Wileman alone is much better then Wileman + color commentaor.

nfitz
04-10-2011, 10:38 AM
who pays only $3/month for GOLtv? Is this on Rogers??Yes, that's the price on Rogers. It's available as an a-la carte channel that can be added to any package for $2.79. Rogers has about 70 channels in this category (like CBC Bold, and Fox Sportsworld Canada). Though they are only that expensive ($2.79) if you only have one. The more you have, the cheaper they are ... for example any 5 would be $10.95 and any 10 would be $15.95.

On the other hand, TSN HD on Rogers is very expensive ... trying to add it added over $50 to my cable bill!

LittleOzzy
04-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Houston v Vancouver will be shown nationally on Sportsnet tonight in HD.

Of course it will be, because they understand the sport and MLS is still growing.

Hiding on some digital channel does nothing to increase the fan base.

dupont
04-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Hiding on some digital channel does nothing to increase the fan base.

I'm sure the ratings were in the dozens for yesterday's game!

Derko
04-10-2011, 03:34 PM
21 matches this season on GolTV, instead of CBC.

$3/month may not be much, but the principle of making it harder, and paying MLSE more, to watch matches is a bit unsettling. And with the prominence of free internet streams, its less of an absolute necessity to buy specialty channels.

I would rather the games be on CBC as well, I don't like Rogers taking nickles and dimes from my pocket when I pay good money for the service.

Brooker
04-10-2011, 03:48 PM
I loved it when we came back from a replay and Alan Gordon is in their box with the ball with a great chance to score. I have no idea how he got there, and neither did Wileman.

Who is the producer and who is he/she fucking? This happens every single TFC game I watch on GOLtv.

nfitz
04-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I loved it when we came back from a replay and Alan Gordon is in their box with the ball with a great chance to score. I have no idea how he got there, and neither did Wileman.

Who is the producer and who is he/she fucking? This happens every single TFC game I watch on GOLtv.That seems grossly unfair and rude.

We see such stuff all the time on many channels. And I've not seen anything as technically incompetent as what we saw from TSN during their first two broadcasts ... they actually kept losing their signal from BMO Field, and at one point even had to go to filler material for a while.

It is unfortunate though, that Toronto FC doesn't have enough demand from the media that find anyone who is carried in HD to carry their games.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-10-2011, 04:27 PM
its because they were using the stream from SJ, i asked about this too, it was totally shit production espcially the first half

LittleOzzy
04-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Whitecap games are also being advertised and talked about during Toronto Blue Jays broadcasts.

Sad that they can't talk about the home side to their very large audience.

Pachuco
04-10-2011, 06:03 PM
its because they were using the stream from SJ, i asked about this too, it was totally shit production espcially the first half

So San Jose was streaming the Lee Godfrey interview at the beginning of the game? the one where it looked like he was in the middle an eartquake while they were trying to film him on the field.

I think some of that must've been GoalTV.

But anyways, it doesn't matter who's stream you use if you are reselling it as yours. That was an embarassment for GoalTV and they only have themselves to blame.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-10-2011, 06:47 PM
they were streaming the video and crowd and putting lee godfrey audio over top.
they did it for several cl games last year, my buddy did the sound for the one in costa rica
you can bring a camera or two for interviews but thats different from 4-6 focused ont he field.

i agree the video was shit and they have to do more about that even if it means bringing their own cameras

GuelphStorm2007
04-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I do have GOLTV and I enjoy it very much to me it is a cheaper version of Setanta. Only Gol has a bit more Variety. I love the La Liga and the Bundesliga and the Braslian League coverge. I hope they kind of improve the network with more Magazine type shows but you know it is worth it.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-10-2011, 07:28 PM
yeah id like a higher end mls/concacaaf magazine or at least coverage

Brooker
04-10-2011, 10:30 PM
That seems grossly unfair and rude.

it's an expression.

the channel is still worth the 3 dollars, though.

nfitz
04-11-2011, 07:49 AM
it's an expression.No it isn't.

Fort York Redcoat
04-11-2011, 07:51 AM

This happens every single TFC game I watch on GOLtv.

This would be my only complaint. That and as I was grabbin a bite at the half the first question I hear ti JDG is about his hair. Bush.

Flip side all it'll take is a nice word that the audience would rather a somewhat less "dynamic" wideshot consistently than the more risky close up that may miss the surrounding action and hopefully it'll be sorted.

MKR
04-11-2011, 08:41 AM
who pays only $3/month for GOLtv? Is this on Rogers??

i have to cough up $10/month to get it through Bell's bullshit "theme pack" set-up.

really? I just made the call last week with bell and i am paying $5 for the entire bundle/pack that goltv comes in.

Carts
04-11-2011, 09:27 AM
That seems grossly unfair and rude.

We see such stuff all the time on many channels. And I've not seen anything as technically incompetent as what we saw from TSN during their first two broadcasts ... they actually kept losing their signal from BMO Field, and at one point even had to go to filler material for a while.

It is unfortunate though, that Toronto FC doesn't have enough demand from the media that find anyone who is carried in HD to carry their games.

PM sent...

nfitz
04-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Oops - didn't realise anyone here was in the biz with TSN!

TFC07
04-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Oops - didn't realise anyone here was in the biz with TSN!

That might explain why people have a hard-on for TSN here. lol

boban
04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Well when TSN didn't have TFC or Champs League they were crucified.
Now its like they are the greatest thing for soccer - without really adding anything.
Go figure. This board is something else at times.

ginkster88
04-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Well when TSN didn't have TFC or Champs League they were crucified.
Now its like they are the greatest thing for soccer - without really adding anything.
Go figure. This board is something else at times.

They added TFC...

Shep
04-13-2011, 03:48 PM
really? I just made the call last week with bell and i am paying $5 for the entire bundle/pack that goltv comes in.

I had to order it on my gf's bell for the last match, rogers couldnt get someone here with a box fast enough. Her's was $10 reduced to $5 too, but on some promotion. My rogers is hooked up now and it's $3 I think.

boban
04-13-2011, 04:30 PM
They added TFC...
I know... I should have been clear. Their TFC broadcasts don't add anything.