PDA

View Full Version : we werent the only ones to lose yesterday.....

james
07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
We werent the only MLS club to lose to lower division teams this week.

There was several US Open Cup Matches on Monday. Heres the scores:

Richmond Kickers 0-3 New England
Rochester Rhinos 0-2 DC
Crystal Palace Baltimore 2-0 New York Red Bull
Kansas City 4-0 Carolina Railhawks
Houston 1-1 Charleston Battery (Charelston wins on PK's 4-3)
Cleveland City Stars 1- 4 Chicago Fire
Miami FC 1-2 FC Dallas
Chivas 0-2 Seattle Sounders

Guess we are lucky that we still have a chance to win the Canada Championship and not have gotten knocked out in a 1 leg series.

ExiledRed
07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
US Open cup doesnt offer a berth in the champion's league.

It's much less important to those teams to win that cup.

Hooligan69
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
We have to win away at Vancouver and home against Montreal to win the Canadian Championship. That's much easier said than done given our recent performances and lack of production on the road. We needed a win yesterday and didn't get it so now we've dug ourselves into a hole we might not be able to get out of.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-02-2008, 09:18 PM
We have to win away at Vancouver and home against Montreal to win the Canadian Championship. That's much easier said than done given our recent performances and lack of production on the road. We needed a win yesterday and didn't get it so now we've dug ourselves into a hole we might not be able to get out of.

a tie at vancouver..and win vs MTl also works!! ;)

We'll getr done!

ExiledRed
07-02-2008, 09:23 PM
WE actually need to beat the Whitecaps 4-0 to proceed on a draw with Montreal.

anything less and we have to beat L'impact.

OR we can tie the Whitecaps and beat the impact at home to go through.

If the whitecaps beat us, we're pretty much done unless we hammer l'impact by 3 goals plus whatever the whitecaps beat us by.

I agree Billy, confidence in getting the results we need in this one is at a low.

james
07-02-2008, 09:29 PM

it says on the website http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4171 that 4 births are available for USA Clubs. The MLS Cup winner, US Open Cup winner, MLS Regular season winner and MLS Cup runner up.

It then states that the reason Chivas got entry this year after finnishing 2nd in the regular season because New England also gained entry by being MLS Cup runners up as well as US Open Cup winners so they let Chivas enter as 2nd place finishers.

So from what it says there US Open Cup winners do gain entry to Champions League.

james
07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
and here is another site that also says US Open Cup winner gains entry to Champions League.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/05/15/u-s-open-cup-winner-will-get-concacaf-champions-league-bid-in-2/

Pearce321
07-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Ohhhhhh The Red Bulls Are Shite!

MFBODD
07-02-2008, 10:13 PM
We werent the only MLS club to lose to lower division teams this week.

There was several US Open Cup Matches on Monday. Heres the scores:

Richmond Kickers 0-3 New England
Rochester Rhinos 0-2 DC
Crystal Palace Baltimore 2-0 New York Red Bull
Kansas City 4-0 Carolina Railhawks
Houston 1-1 Charleston Battery (Charelston wins on PK's 4-3)
Cleveland City Stars 1- 4 Chicago Fire
Miami FC 1-2 FC Dallas
Chivas 0-2 Seattle Sounders

Guess we are lucky that we still have a chance to win the Canada Championship and not have gotten knocked out in a 1 leg series.

Sorry, but the Baltimore name always makes me laugh... I think they are associated with the UK club, but anyway...

There's something up with this tourney. Almost the same results happened last year. I mean, Houston lost in the U.S. Open Cup and then win the MLS crown. 3 MLS clubs get eliminated? The Red Bulls (they are shite, aren't they?) played a bunch of reserves and Baltimore were down to 10 for over 60 min!!

TFC07
07-02-2008, 10:26 PM
I believe Crystal Palace Baltimore is a 3rd division team, not a second division team like Vancouver Whitecaps

Blizzard
07-02-2008, 10:32 PM
I believe Crystal Palace Baltimore is a 3rd division team, not a second division team like Vancouver Whitecaps

Ya, Palace is in USL2 while Vancouver and Montreal are in USL1.

james
07-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Sorry, but the Baltimore name always makes me laugh... I think they are associated with the UK club, but anyway...

There's something up with this tourney. Almost the same results happened last year. I mean, Houston lost in the U.S. Open Cup and then win the MLS crown. 3 MLS clubs get eliminated? The Red Bulls (they are shite, aren't they?) played a bunch of reserves and Baltimore were down to 10 for over 60 min!!

when a Champions League birth is on the line you think New York would put more starters on.

Just like last year DC is making a come back in the MLS season.

Billy the kid
07-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Given the number of rounds they have to go through, you can see why New York would roll the dice with reserves against a USL-2 team. Still a pretty big upset.

ExiledRed
07-03-2008, 09:02 AM
it says on the website http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4171 that 4 births are available for USA Clubs. The MLS Cup winner, US Open Cup winner, MLS Regular season winner and MLS Cup runner up.

It then states that the reason Chivas got entry this year after finnishing 2nd in the regular season because New England also gained entry by being MLS Cup runners up as well as US Open Cup winners so they let Chivas enter as 2nd place finishers.

So from what it says there US Open Cup winners do gain entry to Champions League.

Well........OK then.

It's actually a good idea, I'd love to see Crystal Palace Baltimore in the CL.

james
07-03-2008, 02:09 PM
well i guess US Open Cup would kind of be like the England FA Cup where the winner gains entry to the UEFA Cup. And just like the FA Cup tho many lower division teams win matches and make it far in the tournamnet it is rare that they win the Cup. I think only 1 USL team has won the US Open Cup since 1996 and i think that was Rochester.

Dredg_XI
07-03-2008, 02:31 PM
WE actually need to beat the Whitecaps 4-0 to proceed on a draw with Montreal.

anything less and we have to beat L'impact.

OR we can tie the Whitecaps and beat the impact at home to go through.

If the whitecaps beat us, we're pretty much done unless we hammer l'impact by 3 goals plus whatever the whitecaps beat us by.

I agree Billy, confidence in getting the results we need in this one is at a low.

I love seeing someone actually call them "L'Impact", and of course it's my personal favourite supporter, Exiled.

You're the man, Exiled. An inspiration to us all and a model supporter. Keep it up.

BBBulldog
07-03-2008, 07:50 PM
one of Barra guys is intern for Crystal Palace Baltimore. He was in charge of getting water coolers to RB locker room. :cool:

profit89
07-03-2008, 09:59 PM

wrong. very important competition for american teams as a ccl spot is up for grabs.