PDA

View Full Version : MLS Power Rankings Week 3

Batman
04-05-2011, 11:53 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/mls-power-rankings-week-3

Up 1 to 14th

Hand-wringing about De Rosario, debates about sacred locker rooms and the miss of the century overshadowed what was a strong last 70 minutes from TFC (http://www.torontofc.ca/). Tony Tchani (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/tony-tchani) protected the back line, Danleigh Borman (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/danleigh-borman) got up and down the left wing and their shape was solid throughout. The new beginning looked good, even though the result was disappointing.

Hahah.. miss of the century! Well the century is pretty young still, but it was pretty bad.

DichioTFC
04-05-2011, 12:03 PM
14th seems about right. A lot of places had us dead last after the first week.

I'm fairly confident the team will surprise with DeRo's departure. It's called the Ewing Theory:

A star athlete receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest, and yet his teams never win anything substantial with him (other than maybe some early-round playoff series).
That same athlete leaves his team (either by injury, trade, graduation, free agency or retirement) -- and both the media and fans immediately write off the team for the following season.

When those elements collide, you have the Ewing Theory.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1193711

Upcoming results (optimistically); draw at SJ, draw against the Galaxy (at home, could be a win) and a winnable game against DC United at home. I think the season's turning point will be when we beat Columbus at home on the 23rd.

ManUtd4ever
04-05-2011, 12:22 PM
I think the MLS website synopsis of TFC's performance is somewhat optimistic, but fair considering the events that transpired the day before the match.

With all of the changes in personnel both on and off the pitch, I'm curious to see how this team will respond on the road this season, which has been a death trap over the years.

Batman
04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Yes...the road could hurt... all the more important to close out properly at home. We really should have picked up 3 last Saturday/

BTW, Van at 10th is pretty impressive. Its was a pretty amazing comeback last weekend scoring 3 in the final 15 minutes.

jloome
04-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes...the road could hurt... all the more important to close out properly at home. We really should have picked up 3 last Saturday/

BTW, Van at 10th is pretty impressive. Its was a pretty amazing comeback last weekend scoring 3 in the final 15 minutes.

And the striker who scored them, Camilo, is that little guy from Malta we thought we were going to sign in preseason.

Waggy
04-05-2011, 06:40 PM
14th seems about right. A lot of places had us dead last after the first week.

I'm fairly confident the team will surprise with DeRo's departure. It's called the Ewing Theory:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1193711

Upcoming results (optimistically); draw at SJ, draw against the Galaxy (at home, could be a win) and a winnable game against DC United at home. I think the season's turning point will be when we beat Columbus at home on the 23rd.

#Simmons!

Love the Ewing Theory. Lets go Nuggets!!! You might be right though. My personal def of the Ewing theory is a bit different though, it's more when the sum of the parts is greater then the whole. If the whole had previously been focused on 1 person, then that person goes and the rest of the team can show it's individual and collective talents/abilities. That's just me though.

Kaz
04-06-2011, 11:02 AM
you know it's funny I was just remembering a few years ago we always fell apart in the last 15 minutes of the match, we'd be up and then we'd lose it, to late goals turning ties to loses and wins to ties.

This year we are doing it in the first 15 minutes. I dunno if that is better or worse.

ginkster88
04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I'd call it the Melo theory, with the addendum that said team overachieves and surprises fans and media alike. I love this team without Dero, really excited about Tchani.

Parkdale
04-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Hahah.. miss of the century! Well the century is pretty young still, but it was pretty bad.

the miss of the century is already taken by Kei Kamara of the (then) KC Wizards.

w5j3203LC3k

Whoop
04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
That Kamara miss was way worse, but that doesn't help us. LOL

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
the miss of the century is already taken by Kei Kamara of the (then) KC Wizards.

w5j3203LC3k

LOL! Wow, that's brutal, even worse than Cunny against Montreal in the 2008 NCC Final...

Parkdale
04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
That Kamara miss was way worse, but that doesn't help us. LOL

it helps us laugh

DichioTFC
04-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I'd call it the Melo theory, with the addendum that said team overachieves and surprises fans and media alike. I love this team without Dero, really excited about Tchani.

I'm *very* excited about Tchani. Future Shalrie Joseph IMO (without the weed ;))

The more I see this team without DeRo, the more I like it. Its hard to say what positions need to be improved, I think we're on par with the rest of the league in every position. It's more of making it work with the players we got (a la RSL).

werewolf
04-06-2011, 12:54 PM
"Ewing theory" really isn't an appropriate comparison. We didn't lose DeRo to free agency or retirement; we traded him, our star player, in a rebuilding period for good prospects in return.

Whoop
04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Don't know GM.

2. That same athlete leaves his team (either by injury, trade, graduation, free agency or retirement) -- and both the media and fans immediately write off the team for the following season.

werewolf
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Its possible, but the best examples in the list aren't really trades, especially none of the title runs. We would have to make a run this season, and not add any big name players either.

Whoop
04-06-2011, 01:04 PM
It would apply if the team made the playoffs, which we'll have to wait and see.

Nestease
04-06-2011, 02:34 PM
A star athlete receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest, and yet his teams never win anything substantial with him (other than maybe some early-round playoff series).

- 4 time MLS Cup Champion (01,03,06,07)
- Had gone to Toronto never missing a playoff.
- 2 game winning goals to capture MLS Cup.

I like the "Toronto FC" theory better.

1. Sign with TFC
2. Your career goes in the toilet.

Davenport
04-07-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm *very* excited about Tchani. Future Shalrie Joseph IMO (without the weed ;))

The more I see this team without DeRo, the more I like it. Its hard to say what positions need to be improved, I think we're on par with the rest of the league in every position. It's more of making it work with the players we got (a la RSL).

Our back 4 is crap. Total panic whenever the opposition attacks.
The only one who looks like he can play is Youss.
Can't see us picking many points up on the road.
We're a bit thin in midfield and up front as well.

ManUtd4ever
04-07-2011, 09:58 AM

So far, you're right, but I would add that Williams and Borman also looked composed in their debut. As for our incumbent defenders, Gargan, Harden, Cann, and Nana have definitely looked like crap.

If Cann and Nana can get their act together again we could have a decent backline.

Oldtimer
04-07-2011, 09:59 AM
- 4 time MLS Cup Champion (01,03,06,07)
- Had gone to Toronto never missing a playoff.
- 2 game winning goals to capture MLS Cup.

I like the "Toronto FC" theory better.

1. Sign with TFC
2. Your career goes in the toilet.
3. You get traded
4. You have a massive season at your new club
5. The RPB board explodes with angst

ensco
04-07-2011, 10:32 AM
^Did you see Pat Phelan last night? Earned one of the yellows that got Hassli sent off, then had a great cross on the tying goal in extra time.

rocker
04-07-2011, 11:18 AM
^Did you see Pat Phelan last night? Earned one of the yellows that got Hassli sent off, then had a great cross on the tying goal in extra time.

yeah he was solid. Phelan was in the battle that got Kofie the red.

he didn't have anything to do with the Hassli yellows tho... Alston took the nose beating that got Hassli the first yellow. Then Hassli fucked himself with the celebration.

DichioTFC
04-07-2011, 01:55 PM

I'd chalk that up more to not having time to gel then being crap. CanNana have shown brilliance last season and I'm sure they'll get it together soon enough.

Playing Tchani and JDG along side each other (either as CMs or DMs), that's a pretty solid midfield pairing. The only major problem we have is getting the ball out to the wings and making threatening runs (like fullback overlaps).

levyashin
04-07-2011, 03:49 PM
the team for saturday Frei
Attacora--Williams--Cann--yourofski/gorman
deguzman--tchoi--stephanovic
martina----gordon------santos
very balanced and if firing on all cylinders ,could beat any m.l.s.team,home or away.