PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC - Gol TV Deal

Kooper
04-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Gol TV and Toronto FC announced today that Gol TV will air 21 matches this year including the next 13 league games.

http://www.torontofc.ca/schedule

While I am happy that my 3$ a month will feel a bit more worthwhile given that there are a lot of games this year I still think the team would be better served having the games on basic cable TSN, the Score, CBC or Sportsnet. Especially for the road games where the casual fans wouldn't pay the extra money for the premium channel most will probably not sign up. I can understand that for home games you give them to Gol so fans who don't have Gol will be more likely to go to the games (a sort of black out) but it seems dumb to put so many games on Gol.

I realize that Gol is owned by MLSE and they are earning all the advertizing money and the licencing fees but they are missing a big chance to move the brand forward and building the fan base. It seems really short sighted.

boban
04-04-2011, 06:46 PM
^^ Agreed.

boban
04-04-2011, 06:49 PM
That has got to be be the most asinine tv schedule I have seen.
They are putting all these games Sat. at 7pm on GOL TV against the Stanley Cup playoffs!!!!?!!!
Wow, who's the genius who thought of that?!

SmokedPanda
04-04-2011, 07:02 PM
They are putting all these games Sat. at 7pm on GOL TV against the Stanley Cup playoffs!!!!?!!!

they are assuming that the Leafs won`t be making the playoffs............ again

prizby
04-04-2011, 07:03 PM
killing the fan base...$3 at a time

Kooper
04-04-2011, 07:06 PM

I think at this point the Leafs' plans for April are pretty free and clear for important games of golf.

mickyredpatch
04-04-2011, 07:08 PM

agree, it would be better for sports fans that are channel surfing looking for entertainment.

Kooper
04-04-2011, 07:13 PM

If they are optimistic let's just say that all the the season ticket holders buy Gol Tv for the TFC season.

7 months
3$ per game
14,000 fans
294,000$ Plus advertizing.

If they only have 14,000 TFC fans actually paying for the channel their ad revenues can't be that high since so few people will actually be watching. I get the impression that there will be a lot of ads for Raptors, Leafs, Marlies, Real Sports and those cheesy stay away soccer camps.

You could argue that they are building their brand by pushing their other properties but they are preaching to the choir. Most Toronto Fans won't go to see the Marlies more or go to Real Sports more because they see a few ads reapeated non stop all summer.

Kooper
04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
agree, it would be better for sports fans that are channel surfing looking for entertainment.

My dad up in Ottawa likes to watch TFC when they are on but he only finds the games when he stumbles upon the games. He is never going to find them on Gol. They just lost one fan.

boban
04-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Yeah I get that, but ratings are huge for the playoffs in this country, regardless if the home town team is playing or not.
Man, and they balked at CBC proposal/offer .... :facepalm:

swan
04-04-2011, 07:20 PM
good thing there is mls live

nfitz
04-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I didn't think MLS Live was going to carry live TFC games.

MarkoftheDrink
04-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Ahhh that's some of the great MLSE myopia we've all grown so accustomed to. On the bright side there might be another $80 000 on the books at GolTV and a subscriber base that is trending upwards (or not as badly downwards). Do the teacher's really think this is going to help with the sale or ANYTHING. Idiotic.

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2011, 08:53 PM

Who's the guy who kept asking for more night games who got his wish. Stanley cup playoffs go on for months right? Should they wait for it all to be over? They will always be up against something with more viewers. This is North America.
FTR I always preferred the midday Sat matches.

Auzzy
04-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I didn't think MLS Live was going to carry live TFC games.

They are carrying GolTV games this year. They are excluded from the blackout rules this time. http://www.mlssoccer.com/blackout

Kooper
04-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Ahhh that's some of the great MLSE myopia we've all grown so accustomed to. On the bright side there might be another $80 000 on the books at GolTV and a subscriber base that is trending upwards (or not as badly downwards). Do the teacher's really think this is going to help with the sale or ANYTHING. Idiotic.

the costs to do the games is going to be MUCH higher than the 80K or even 200K I estimated they are going to bring in from this.

21 games
21 satelite trucks
21 on field reporters
21 colour commentators
21 game analysts
42 editors/tv guys
21 producers

Kooper
04-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Who's the guy who kept asking for more night games who got his wish. Stanley cup playoffs go on for months right? Should they wait for it all to be over? They will always be up against something with more viewers. This is North America.

I like night matches during the summer because I like to have a pregame drink, enjoy the game when it is a bit cooler, go out afterwards.

I agree with the utter stupidity of putting TFC against hockey. But I would be interested to see how the audience for NHL playoffs changes if the Leafs aren't in the playoffs and how quickly the audience in Toronto drops/rises.

I remember when the Leafs were last in the playoffs in 2004 the bars were packed and everyone was following the team. A few years later when Ottawa made the cup finals I found it hard to find a bar with enough of an audience for some atmosphere.

zeelaw
04-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I hate that standard definition garbage

Pachuco
04-04-2011, 09:29 PM
This one one goes down in the books as quite possibly one of the dumbest moves MLSE has made with TFC. And they've made alot of mistakes. But this one, this one may very well take the cake.

Ratings for next game gentleman, 20,000 people. Well atleast it's more then what's showing up a BMO these days.

WestStandGeoff
04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
I hate that standard definition garbage

I prefer to call it 'Loser' Definition, since HD is really becoming the standard.

Let's hope they simulcast in HD on Rogers 501 like they did a lot last year.

Pigfynn
04-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Are the games not all in HD?

WTF?

kodiakTFC
04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
This is why i bought MLS Matchday Live. Great decision even if it costs me a few more dollars, I get more bang for the buck being able to watch other mls games.

ilikemusic
04-04-2011, 10:06 PM
I realize that Gol is owned by MLSE and they are earning all the advertizing money and the licencing fees but they are missing a big chance to move the brand forward and building the fan base. It seems really short sighted.

You say that as if they have taken advantage of other chances to build the fanbase over the past four years. :lol:

boban
04-04-2011, 10:31 PM
I don't know who is the guy?
They could have put the April and May games on midday Sat. and put the rest on at night if they have such a hard on for the night game.

Roogsy
04-05-2011, 12:01 AM
I have been procrastinating on picking up Gol TV again after I changed services a few weeks ago and haven't gotten around to getting the right packages in place.

But this team and it's incompetence has made me fed up enough that I don't care that I won't catch some games anymore. I am not signing up for Gol TV at all.

Stouffville_RPB
04-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Are the games not all in HD?

WTF?

No. Unfortunately there is no Gol TV HD at the moment.

Fort York Redcoat
04-05-2011, 07:57 AM
They could have put the April and May games on midday Sat. and put the rest on at night if they have such a hard on for the night game.

Yep. They could. But there are people that are happy about these night games. I ain't one of em but every year there are plenty who plead for them. Every year.

I typed "night games" into the search box. At least 2 threads dedicated to them.

drewski
04-05-2011, 08:19 AM

against MLB games? might be more of a draw in Canada, but not in the states. on Sat night they're more likely to get a higher draw with no other major sport going on but hockey (which gets far lower ratings).

if you look at last years NHL playoff sched, they typically try to spread the games out so there is an afternoon, evening and west coast evening game, so midday, you're generally going against two sports on tv. that's really spreading the TV audience thin, and you're mroe likely to just get teh hardcore fans (who up here would be willing to pay the $3/mth)

ManUtd4ever
04-05-2011, 08:41 AM
TSN obviously bailed on the broadcasts that would go head to head with the NHL playoffs, which is understandable on their part.

The minimal exposure aside, GolTV did a great job with their TFC broadcasts last season, and for those who are concerned about HD broadcasts, the HD simulcasts should once again be available on Rogers ch. 501, as they were last season.

nfitz
04-05-2011, 12:35 PM
No. Unfortunately there is no Gol TV HD at the moment.They aired all of the TFC MLS games last season in HD, using Rogers 501 - I have no reason to think they wouldn't do the same this year.

ForestGlade
04-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Cogeco still doesn't get the games in HD, not even on LeafsTV

Pachuco
04-06-2011, 10:10 AM
TSN obviously bailed on the broadcasts that would go head to head with the NHL playoffs, which is understandable on their part.

The minimal exposure aside, GolTV did a great job with their TFC broadcasts last season, and for those who are concerned about HD broadcasts, the HD simulcasts should once again be available on Rogers ch. 501, as they were last season.

Not trying to be a dick, but I get annoyed when people constantly say that Rogers offers the game in HD. Rogers isn't the only provider in Toronto. So here I go with watching a half season in grainy shitty audio and video on Goal TV.

It's especially annoying when MLS mandated last year that all games would be covered in HD. Paul Beirne posted the article here. Now their very own channel isn't covering the games in HD. Pathetic that in 2011 we are still watching broadcasts in grainy video on our LCDs which we've owned for almost a decade now.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-06-2011, 10:59 AM
did this topic really validate a second thread?

mastermixer
04-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Not trying to be a dick, but I get annoyed when people constantly say that Rogers offers the game in HD. Rogers isn't the only provider in Toronto. So here I go with watching a half season in grainy shitty audio and video on Goal TV.

It's especially annoying when MLS mandated last year that all games would be covered in HD. Paul Beirne posted the article here. Now their very own channel isn't covering the games in HD. Pathetic that in 2011 we are still watching broadcasts in grainy video on our LCDs which we've owned for almost a decade now.

It is kinda ridiculous. I don't think there is another sports channel offered that is not available in HD. Even the Golf Channel has an HD version!
Well at least MLSE get's to save a few bucks I guess.

nfitz
04-06-2011, 11:22 AM
It is kinda ridiculous. I don't think there is another sports channel offered that is not available in HD. Even the Golf Channel has an HD version! All of GOL's TFC games were HD last season.

There are a lot of sports channels that aren't HD. Just off the top of my head, Fox Sportsworld Canada and EuroWorld Sport. And I'm only thinking of soccer channels here.

Yagbod
04-06-2011, 11:25 AM
It is kinda ridiculous. I don't think there is another sports channel offered that is not available in HD. Even the Golf Channel has an HD version!
Well at least MLSE get's to save a few bucks I guess.

The fishing channel is in HD....:picard:

sulfur
04-06-2011, 11:33 AM
All of GOL's TFC games were HD last season.
Only on Rogers. No other provider had HD versions of the games. As noted above, not everyone is a Rogers customer.

ManUtd4ever
04-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Ah, understood. I wonder if the onus to provide an HD simulcast is on the cable provider or the network?

TFC07
04-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I have been procrastinating on picking up Gol TV again after I changed services a few weeks ago and haven't gotten around to getting the right packages in place.

But this team and it's incompetence has made me fed up enough that I don't care that I won't catch some games anymore. I am not signing up for Gol TV at all.

Same here. I am back with Robbers (Rogers), but I refuse to buy Gol TV this time around. I will just watch it online now when TFC game is on GolTV.

nfitz
04-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Only on Rogers. No other provider had HD versions of the games. As noted above, not everyone is a Rogers customer.The signal was available in HD. If one has chosen a provider that doesn't have the most HD channels - like Bell - then I guess you get what you pay for ...

... but that's hardly MLSE's fault. Rogers is available throughout Toronto, and most of the surrounding suburbs.

At the same time, I can't for a second fathom someone who has Roger's, and refused to get GOL TV. It's the cheapest cable channel ever. It cost about $2.70 a month. When I phoned Rogers and asked how much it would cost to add TSN HD a month they told me it would add about $50 a month to my cable bill!

Pachuco
04-06-2011, 03:43 PM
The signal was available in HD. If one has chosen a provider that doesn't have the most HD channels - like Bell - then I guess you get what you pay for ...

... but that's hardly MLSE's fault. Rogers is available throughout Toronto, and most of the surrounding suburbs.

At the same time, I can't for a second fathom someone who has Roger's, and refused to get GOL TV. It's the cheapest cable channel ever. It cost about $2.70 a month. When I phoned Rogers and asked how much it would cost to add TSN HD a month they told me it would add about $50 a month to my cable bill!

What are you talking about you get what you pay for? Bell is in no way cheaper then Rogers and trying to make this about people cheaping out is ridicolous (neither is Cogeco by the way). Obviously people who are complaining bought GolTV, which happens to cost the same on ANY provider. And by the way, come out of your whole, there are many locations in the suburbs that have Cogeco instead of Rogers.

The fact of the matter is GolTV is NOT an HD channel. Whatever deal MLSE worked out with Rogers should be worked out with the rest of the providers if they are going to claim that TFC games will be carried in HD, or, just get a damn HD channel as was promised when TFC bought GoalTV.

LittleOzzy
04-07-2011, 12:10 PM
As a TFC fan I'll be watching two Vancouver games this week.

I refuse to buy GolTV considering I already subscribe to 9 Canadian sports networks that they could have easily sold their games to.

The Whitecaps will likely be more popular than TFC across Canada in a few years and GolTV will be one of the major reasons why.

Sportsnet Ontario, Sportsnet East, Sportsnet West, Sportsnet Pacific, Sportsnet One, TSN, TSN2, CBC, The Score all would have all been better options.

werewolf
04-07-2011, 12:17 PM
^ I was thinking the same thing yesterday, as I put in the other thread about the Whitecaps, with their exciting games and national coverage, they are going to only raise popularity. If they win the Canadian Championship, and make the CL group stage, they have real potential to be the most popular team in the country, sooner rather then later. Another MLSE mistake, over valuing themselves and being greedy. If TFC's most passionate supporters aren't on-board to further pay money to watch the matches, why would people who are further down the frequency escalator.

Yohan
04-07-2011, 12:20 PM
All those fringe TFC fans are now going to start supporting Whitecaps (IE those not living in S Ontario)

menefreghista
04-07-2011, 12:27 PM
I can't get over the fact that the next 13 games will be on Gol TV. This has a real good chance to turn into an 'out of site, out of mind' situation for the team.

I would be interested to learn how much Gol TV subscriptions have gone up due to this move.

I could understand having the odd game on Gol TV. Maybe 1-2 games per month. Basically the games no one else will broadcast.

I do have a feeling that next season they will come to their senses.

ensco
04-07-2011, 12:34 PM
^Plus with all the Saturday night games, pretty much every last one of those games is going head to head with the hockey playoffs. I thought they were doing that for TSN, but since that's not the case, I have no idea why they went away from the 4pm starts.

stugautz
04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
I know everybody keeps saying it's only $3 per month for GOL TV...but that's $21 for the season...almost the price of a single game ticket in the south end. Why should we have to pay the price of an extra game to see the road games. It's like they're going out of their way to make it difficult to watch the team.

raj100
04-07-2011, 02:18 PM
so games will be on 501? meaning if you have an hd box you dont need to pay for goltv? and you can still watch the games? thats great if your with rogers

i for one think the score should get the games... when james sharman and budgie (rip) did the commentary it was a great game! against houston season 1, and welshy scored a header! in the rain! great tfc memory!

Carts
04-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Vancouver's exposure with a TSN / SportsNet combo is going up, way up...

Last night's rating for Van/NE on TSN = 255,000...

That game had a half hour peak of 307,000...

Carts...

menefreghista
04-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Carts...

Sorry to bug you, but do you have the numbers for TFC's last game? I haven't seen them anywhere. Thanks.

Those are great numbers for Vancouver by the way. I don't think TFC has ever had a weekday game go over 100,000. I do realize its on TSN.

rocker
04-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Carts...

those are good.

I seem to remember the ESPN ratings in the US were about that number... and that's the US, a country with 10x the population.

tfcleeds
04-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Yet again, MLSE misses the boat on this one.

Say what you will about VWFC, but they have a management team that seems to know how to properly run a football club/build a brand.

Inklink
04-07-2011, 04:33 PM
13 straight games on GOLTV. Absolutely ridiculous. They're trying to choke their own product to death.

It's not about me not wanting to pay $21 over the next 7 months. It's that you're shutting out a lot of people that are not MLS/soccer fans because you won't even have a chance to get into their living rooms. I watch baseball from time to time because I'm surfing through the channels and it pops up on Sportsnet. If I had to pay more on top of already high cable rates to watch baseball, there's no way I'd do so.

Have they fermented their base enough to go out and exclude these "fairweather" viewers? Is a team that's 4 years in and garbage on the field in the position to do so? Looks like the early success at the ticket booth got to their heads.

MG42
04-07-2011, 05:02 PM
i hink this is a terrible idea by TFC. I had a surprising number of people tell me they watched the TFC vs VAN game just by coming across it channel surfing. It kills me that the whitecaps are seemingly leaps and bounds ahead of us on the field and off.

"I won an award!"

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/tfc_Beirne.jpg

Vancity RED
04-07-2011, 05:38 PM
It kills me that the whitecaps are seemingly leaps and bounds ahead of us on the field and off.

This was my greatest fear when Vancouver joined the league and it seems with good reason. Now, if Montreal comes in and...I don't even want to think about it.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
04-07-2011, 06:19 PM
It would be interesting to do a poll on who has Gol TV today. If the numbers were substantial it would be a great protest to have everyone discontinue their service on a set date. You're probably not going to miss much dropping Gol TV just more miserable away defeats.

sulfur
04-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I've got GolTV, but mostly have it for the Bundesliga on Saturdays and Spanish footie for when I'm too lazy to get up after a morning of English and German footie. :)

Kooper
04-07-2011, 08:53 PM

That only affects them for the first round or two. CBC will always have the best game leaving the second game to TSN. If they are then split east and west you really only have 2 games going head to head in the first round. TSN could have passed the games over the next 2 weeks to Gol or TSN2 and picked up the next 11 games.

I would be interested to learn how much Gol TV subscriptions have gone up due to this move.

I am guessing MLSE over estimated their draw and will realize after 3 or 4 games that they made a mistake. Hold of for the free previews in June or July when they have no audience.

I know everybody keeps saying it's only $3 per month for GOL TV...but that's $21 for the season...almost the price of a single game ticket in the south end. Why should we have to pay the price of an extra game to see the road games. It's like they're going out of their way to make it difficult to watch the team.

For me it is mostly the fact that I again feel screwed by MLSE and that I think they have mismanaged the team. They did this for what 2-300K in extra subscription revenue on Gol. As you said it is only 21$ for the whole season but for someone who only causally watches TFC it is a premium channel that they have to order. They would rather spend 30-40$ on a game day experience at BMO. TFC did this to get 300K iin cable at the expense of possibly gaining more than the 1,000 fans (300K/30$) that might come out to games if they can watch the games on CBC or TSN.

They are trying to increase revenue over the short term ignoring building the long term fan base. From a business perspective it makes sense if they are trying to sell the company if they can say: "Our TFC is mostly sold out and Gol TV has 20,000 monthly subscribers that watch ads for our other brands."

TFC USA
04-07-2011, 09:03 PM
That's settled then. CBC either doesn't give a shit about soccer or budget cuts are an issue in the sports department.

What do they have left now? FIFA events? Might as well drop the sport altogether once bidding for that comes around again.

So pissed I can't see my favorite team without forking over money for online services or running a dodgy stream.

Auzzy
04-07-2011, 09:46 PM
I'll be watching the TFC GolTV games, streaming via MLS Match Day Live. I realize GolTV isn't good for maximum exposure, but I am happy that they at least managed to get the GolTV TFC games unblocked on MDL this season.

And I'm happy I'm still not paying a penny to Rogers, Bell, Cogeco & Co. (Well, except for my cell phone, but that's a very good deal via work.)

Away games on TSN will be a problem. I'll be at a bar I guess.

Blowing Bubbles
04-07-2011, 09:55 PM
That's settled then. CBC either doesn't give a shit about soccer or budget cuts are an issue in the sports department.

What do they have left now? FIFA events? Might as well drop the sport altogether once bidding for that comes around again.

So pissed I can't see my favorite team without forking over money for online services or running a dodgy stream.

what are you talking about? This was discussed at length in multiple threads - CBC put a bid in for both national rights (lost to TSN) and regional (rejected by TFC).

TFC USA
04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
So I guess it's money issue then?

It's a shame.

menefreghista
04-07-2011, 11:12 PM
So I guess it's money issue then?

It's a shame.

Its not a money issue. Its a TFC FO retardedness issue. They felt it was better to have 21 games on Gol TV than have national exposure on CBC. I'm guessing they shunned Sportsnet as well.

Whoop
04-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Wow.... I don't watch many TFC matches on TV - I'm either at the stadium or at the bar watching the match.

But this is a moronic decision to put games on GolTV.

Whoever said that Vancouver is doing a better job and to GM who said that Vancouver could be "Canada's team"... you guys are right.

Geez....

menefreghista
04-07-2011, 11:22 PM

I'm guessing a lot of Gol TV subscribers would get upset if the Bayern Munich or Real Madrid or Barca game was replaced by a TFC game.

werewolf
04-08-2011, 12:30 AM
It would be interesting to do a poll on who has Gol TV today. If the numbers were substantial it would be a great protest to have everyone discontinue their service on a set date. You're probably not going to miss much dropping Gol TV just more miserable away defeats.

:flare:

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=27532

Poll created.

Redcoe15
04-08-2011, 02:47 AM
Wow.... I don't watch many TFC matches on TV - I'm either at the stadium or at the bar watching the match.

But this is a moronic decision to put games on GolTV.

Whoever said that Vancouver is doing a better job and to GM who said that Vancouver could be "Canada's team"... you guys are right.

Geez....
Yup! :facepalm:

Fort York Redcoat
04-08-2011, 07:14 AM
This really doesn't affect me. Like Whoopee I watch away games down at the pub. This has got me wondering how this decision came about. There is more than just TFC saying "Let's try and get $21 bucks out of Reds supporters". There must be negotiations that broke down with this announcement being AFTER the season has started.

TSN moved in and wanted to pimp the league first, the new Canadian team in the league second and then TFC.

CBC must look at the numbers and think about curling and equestrian. After hockey playoffs of course.

Leaving sportsnet who must be feeling a little jilted. I do like the fact they have such distinct regional channels.

This all smells of a negotiation where a new(ish) team overestimating their own importance to networks and had to go with their own channel. Like I say, in the end I'll get by as long as I know every match is televised. Sorry for those outside specific regions..

Whoop
04-08-2011, 07:25 AM
But wouldn't it be beneficial to TSN to pimp TFC too?

In the long run, it would be better for football in Canada if you had TSN pimping all 3 Canadian MLS teams than just one club's myopic view of itself.

TFC failed in seeing the bigger picture.

You go to a specialty channel only when your "brand" is big enough that it would warrant it, not when your brand is still growing, especially outside of your region.

I really wonder how TFC won a marketing award.

menefreghista
04-08-2011, 07:25 AM
This really doesn't affect me. Like Whoopee I watch away games down at the pub. This has got me wondering how this decision came about. There is more than just TFC saying "Let's try and get $21 bucks out of Reds supporters". There must be negotiations that broke down with this announcement being AFTER the season has started.

TSN moved in and wanted to pimp the league first, the new Canadian team in the league second and then TFC.

CBC must look at the numbers and think about curling and equestrian. After hockey playoffs of course.

Leaving sportsnet who must be feeling a little jilted. I do like the fact they have such distinct regional channels.

This all smells of a negotiation where a new(ish) team overestimating their own importance to networks and had to go with their own channel. Like I say, in the end I'll get by as long as I know every match is televised. Sorry for those outside specific regions..

The funny thing is if Vancouver continues to get numbers like they did on Wednesday they will actually start to make real money on their television contract.

Its still early but they are already outperforming TFC on games on TSN.

Meanwhile TFC will languish in obscurity on Gol TV.

menefreghista
04-08-2011, 07:28 AM
TFC failed in seeing the bigger picture.

I really wonder how TFC won a marketing award.

This is pretty much it.

As for the marketing award, it is becoming increasingly clear that TFC FO was more lucky than smart. They have proven this time and time again.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 07:37 AM
as mentioned in that other thread about the same topic a big issue is that they still own goltv whihc wont have any fresh/new content throughout the summer, as a result they can fill some space with TFC. They clearly havent picked up any new viewers on any of those other channels within the last 5 seasons so they prob figure why not do it on goltv.

boban
04-08-2011, 07:38 AM

John came on here last month and explicity said CBC made a fair offer and MLSE balked.
It was not a matter of CBC not committed to soccer or no budget for it.
It's that MLSE didn't want to do the deal.

boban
04-08-2011, 07:43 AM
as mentioned in that other thread about the same topic a big issue is that they still own goltv whihc wont have any fresh/new content throughout the summer, as a result they can fill some space with TFC. They clearly havent picked up any new viewers on any of those other channels within the last 5 seasons so they prob figure why not do it on goltv.
Dude they are doing 13 straight game son GolTV starting Saturday. The 13 games are going to be pretty much over before summer even starts.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 07:43 AM
John came on here last month and explicity said CBC made a fair offer and MLSE balked.
It was not a matter of CBC not committed to soccer or no budget for it.
It's that MLSE didn't want to do the deal.

sure, but also we dont know how much CBC wanted to commit to it, how often had they put on show jumping and other shit like that in the past to push back the game. once again i believe its partially because theyll have a giant void of fresh contact on goltv and why not fill it with a product they already own

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 07:44 AM
heres the exact same conversation held back in march
http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=26981

boban
04-08-2011, 07:44 AM
"I won an award!"

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/tfc_Beirne.jpg

This pretty much sums it up LOL

:rofl: :banghead:

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Dude they are doing 13 straight game son GolTV starting Saturday. The 13 games are going to be pretty much over before summer even starts.

sure and they have 9 in the summer, 3 per month, and theyre still trying to expose people to the channel and to the fact they have other leagues on that channel outside of the MLS while the leagues are on.

boban
04-08-2011, 07:48 AM
sure, but also we dont know how much CBC wanted to commit to it, how often had they put on show jumping and other shit like that in the past to push back the game. once again i believe its partially because theyll have a giant void of fresh contact on goltv and why not fill it with a product they already own
What's this BS void people keep talking about?!! 13 games are going to be done pretty much before the summer break!!!!!!!!!

And CBC has committed to soccer. They have the WC's and need/want soccer content to fill in between the tournaments.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 07:49 AM
not saying i agree with it, as i mentioned in the other thread the best thing would be that its on the CBC for free and getting maximum priority and coverage, sadly thats not going to happen. I do understand as a business they want to push other aspects of their business. If ya dont like it go to a bar and watch it there for free (per say as youll still have to buy food/booze) or watch it on an internet stream (theres a ton around)

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 07:50 AM
What's this BS void people keep talking about?!! 13 games are going to be done pretty much before the summer break!!!!!!!!!

And CBC has committed to soccer. They have the WC's and need/want soccer content to fill in between the tournaments.

9 games during the summer!!!!!!!
check the schedule guy, i just did myself, 9 games throughout june, july and august

regardless the cbc has been crap, theyve done well for tournaments but the numbers for those things are totally different from MLS, you and i both know this

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 07:52 AM
ill done with this thread as all ill say will be the exact samething thats been said here
people that dont like goltv/mlse will continue to hate goltv/mlse, those that dont wont and none of its going to change the final decision.

as mentioned previously, ya dont want to pay for it watch it in a bar, on a stream, at the game or not at all. plenty of options.

menefreghista
04-08-2011, 07:54 AM
ill done with this thread as all ill say will be the exact samething thats been said here
people that dont like goltv/mlse will continue to hate goltv/mlse, those that dont wont and none of its going to change the final decision.

as mentioned previously, ya dont want to pay for it watch it in a bar, on a stream, at the game or not at all. plenty of options.

Its not about being cheap and not wanting to pay for the channel. Most people here are so into soccer that we already have the channel anyways.

Most people think the decision was bad for the promotion of the club. We will find a way to watch the games regardless.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Most people think the decision was bad for the promotion of the club. We will find a way to watch the games regardless.

totally agree

boban
04-08-2011, 08:01 AM
9 games during the summer!!!!!!!
check the schedule guy, i just did myself, 9 games throughout june, july and august

regardless the cbc has been crap, theyve done well for tournaments but the numbers for those things are totally different from MLS, you and i both know this
Well summer isn't until June 21 ;) Which incidentally, the 13 games would be over before the 21st.
Anyhow, those games (9) are spread over 3 months+.
We all knew some games would be on GolTV. So having a few is not what people are pointing to. Its the number of games on GolTV that is staggering.
Having 13 in a row, this early in the season, does nothing for content filler for the summer.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Well summer isn't until June 21 ;) Which incidentally, the 13 games would be over before the 21st.

HAHAHA
nitpicking, we know the european seasons end around mid may, so we could say that the void opens up around then although it doesnt necessarily qualify as summer, it does qualify as soccer void on tv on goltv

Glory_Hunter
04-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Has there been any official word if the games will be in HD and who will be showing the HD feed?

TOBOR !
04-08-2011, 08:47 AM
This is pretty much it.

As for the marketing award, it is becoming increasingly clear that TFC FO was more lucky than smart. They have proven this time and time again.

We've known that all along. MLSE marketing had little or nothing to do with the success at the stadium. It was the appetite and desire of the fan/supporter which made TFC an off-field success. MLSE managed to stay out of the way. They only began to run into trouble when they attempted to exploit the fan/supporter.

Now that the honeymoon is over, and we can all see that the Emporer is wearing no clothes, the real job of marketing begins. How's it going, boys ?

Re : GOL TV. I can see that MLSE incorrectly assumed that the stadium success would overflow to TV success just by planting TFC on it. This is the main reason why TFC is not on TSN. MLSE did not make it available.

The way to make GOL TV and TFC a greater success is to offer TFC games to the cable channels and air more of their other soccer programming (not repeats, more content). This creates a wider audience for the team and the sport.

I have GOL TV, but I didn't get it for TFC coverage. I got it for Soccer coverage. Luckily Fox Sportsworld is part of the same package.

mastermixer
04-08-2011, 08:50 AM
The best part is that they don't even have set commentators for these games...

Soccer broadcaster Luke Wileman returns for another season in the broadcast booth to provide play-by-play coverage. He will share the play-by-play duties with the Fan 590’s soccer broadcaster Dan Dunleavy who will fill in for Wileman for a handful of matches this season. Wileman and Dunleavy will be joined in the broadcast booth by a number of special guest colour commentators, including former Toronto FC Captain and TFC Junior Academy Coach Jim Brennan and Toronto FC alumnus Danny Dichio. Andi Petrillo will also host and report during the game broadcasts.

Wow, guest colour commentators who have no broadcast knowledge. Sounds like they really went all out to give TFC fans the best viewing experience possible. :facepalm:

It just seems like patchwork to me. "When Luke isn't busy, we'll find someone else to do it. And since we can't find any colour commentators to fit our budget we will force ex TFC players to join in"

menefreghista
04-08-2011, 08:54 AM
I like Dunleavy as an announcer so I don't mind.

It must have to do with the fact that Wileman is the announcer for all the TSN games and there will obviously be conflicts. That's when Dunleavy steps in.

ManUtd4ever
04-08-2011, 08:54 AM
I don't think Dichio or Brennan will be a significant downgrade from Jason DeVos, LOL.

boban
04-08-2011, 07:31 PM
HAHAHA
nitpicking, we know the european seasons end around mid may, so we could say that the void opens up around then although it doesnt necessarily qualify as summer, it does qualify as soccer void on tv on goltv
Not really.
La Liga goes til the 1st weekend in June at least, if not longer.
And your nitpicking with my games. 1 or two games will be left out of that 13 for your filler.
your missing the crux of the point, a vast majority of the games are not filler.

Ryan1984
04-09-2011, 09:10 AM
does anyone know if the tfc games will be available in HD on Bell TV?

TFC John
04-09-2011, 09:24 AM
I can't find an HD feed on Bell.

If TFC games weren't on GolTV I would drop my subscription so maybe they're doing this to keep me as a customer. At this point I figure being a TFC fan is the same as saying you have more money than brains so it's no wonder the FO has come to the same conclusion.

Carts
04-09-2011, 10:26 AM

If TFC games weren't on GolTV I would drop my subscription so maybe they're doing this to keep me as a customer. At this point I figure being a TFC fan is the same as saying you have more money than brains so it's no wonder the FO has come to the same conclusion.

LOL - great line...!!!!

TFCRegina
04-09-2011, 10:29 AM
LOL - great line...!!!!

No Carts...it's a depressing line. Where is my beer...it's 9:29 AM, and I need one to wash away this pain... :facepalm: :drinking:

Carts
04-09-2011, 10:35 AM
No Carts...it's a depressing line. Where is my beer...it's 9:29 AM, and I need one to wash away this pain... :facepalm: :drinking:

Ok ok, I'll compromise with "its a TRUE line"... :D

I've run out of beer - so its coffee right now, until I hit the LCBO... :drinking:

Dreadlocks
04-09-2011, 10:39 AM

GolTV HD is on channel 1412 on Bell TV/ExpressVu. It's not a full time channel similar to LeafsTV HD but if I remember correctly, last year there were a few TFC matches shown there.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Not really.
La Liga goes til the 1st weekend in June at least, if not longer.
And your nitpicking with my games. 1 or two games will be left out of that 13 for your filler.
your missing the crux of the point, a vast majority of the games are not filler.

thats one league.
do you have the channel?
If not i can assure you that right now theres an awful lot of filler when theres not games on, i can only imagine what itll be like when the seasons out. Not only are they showing TFC games they are showing other MLS games, no other canadian channels are doing this. we can basically agree to disagree at this point.

Canuck82
04-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know if Shaw Direct satellite has an HD channel it is showing this one - I have the PVR set for the SD channel - but that will be crappy watching!!!:picard:

Dub Narcotic
04-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Gol, a dollar a month, get Bundesliga, MLS and La Liga. I don't see what the problem is.

LittleOzzy
04-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Whitecap games are also being advertised and talked about during Toronto Blue Jays broadcasts.

Sad that they can't talk about the home side to their very large audience.

Waggy
04-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Gol, a dollar a month, get Bundesliga, MLS and La Liga. I don't see what the problem is.

The problem is more for people who don't have digital cable