PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC boss Winter decides to change culture with locker room no-go

Pages : [1] 2 3

tfcmanu
04-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Manager Aron Winter will stick to his plan of improving the culture of the club by denying media access to the locker room.
The Dutchman feels that the this area of the stadium is a ‘safe place’ for his players and subsequently has told media that they are not allowed to enter the Toronto dressing room at BMO Field.
In a letter to the media, Winter said that the locker room is now off limits for those not directly involved with the club.
Here is an excerpt from that note: ‘One of the changes that falls under the new era is the location of our post-game media availability with our players. Outside of North America the press does not have access to the locker room.
‘I believe that is a sacred place and a safe place for the players and that is why I have chosen not to open the locker room. I understand there may be an adjustment period with some journalists but it is an important change in keeping with my program of changing the culture of Toronto FC (http://www.tribalfootball.com/category/leagues/mls/toronto-fc) both on and off the field.’

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/toronto-fc-boss-winter-decides-change-culture-locker-room-no-go-1549971

bdiddy
04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Excellent - this is a great idea and should be a safe place.

I hate seeing media bombard players right after games anyways with questions about mistakes/etc... typically this is where players who haven't had a chance to think/cool down say something bad that makes themselves/club/etc look bad.

Auzzy
04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
I've always found interviews in the locker room to be incredibly annoying, for many reasons. Great that they will find another location where the players can be interviewed, within 15 minutes. However, no idea if the league will allow this long-term.

brad
04-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I predict the league steps in and overturns this. It's league policy to allow access, and a cornerstone of US sports reporting. I can't see them letting it slide.

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I predict the league steps in and overturns this. It's league policy to allow access, and a cornerstone of US sports reporting. I can't see them letting it slide.

Exactly.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-04-2011, 10:04 AM
hope the league doesnt step in, i think its a great idea

menefreghista
04-04-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm just wondering what happened to lead to this.

Carts
04-04-2011, 10:08 AM

This is interesting - and will be very interesting to see what the league does here...

On paper, the MLS has every right to step in and start fining TFC every time they don't open the room (its right in the rules)...

On the other side, if the players are available 10-mins after the game, just in the gym and not the room, and nobody complains and there is no lack of coverage - I could see them kind of stepping back and "seeing how it plays out"...

If the MLS is to act - I think it would be immediate, if they let it go on with no action they might be swayed...

Now the trump card. If today, another team tries the same thing by sending out a letter - there's the floodgates & a shitstorm for the league...

As a member of the media, I am very interested in how this plays out...

Carts...

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Meh. League mandate. Don't see why. I can wait a bit.

drewski
04-04-2011, 10:32 AM
the letter as tweeted by Jason DeVos

http://i55.tinypic.com/2r72dki.jpg

He also said that media will still be given player access, just in the gym instead of locker room, and that he expects the players to honour their responsibilities to the media.

Personally, I'm all for it. Media still get same access, just in a different location. Locker room is the players inner sanctum. They should have a palce where they can be free to talk whenever they want.

billyfly
04-04-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm just wondering what happened to lead to this.

Roogsy in the locker room chatting with DeRo (?)

Whoop
04-04-2011, 10:35 AM
LMAO... I love how all this was twisted.

The media still has access after the game, just not in the locker room.

LMAO.

So why is deVos crying?

Gazza
04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
The league will kibosh this. We're not the NY Red Bulls.

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Actually DeVos isn't really upset about it. He just let us know about it.

Molinaro wasn't too happy though. He seems to think Winter is trying to get away with breaking a rule.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Sorry.

I knew someone in the media was upset.

JonO
04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
I think it will depend on how it's implemented. If all player are available to the media 10 minutes after the game, does it really matter that it's in the locker room or another designated room? While it may technically violate the rule, it may not violate the spirit of the rule (access to players), so the league may be inclined to see how it plays out.

menefreghista
04-04-2011, 10:40 AM
LMAO... I love how all this was twisted.

The media still has access after the game, just not in the locker room.

LMAO.

So why is deVos crying?

Jeff Blair has been talking about this on the Fan for the past 40 minutes. And I think he made a good point. With the new system TFC will be able to shelter players more easily. Whereas with locker room access the players have nowhere to hide, eventually they will have to appear in the locker room.

babone
04-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Excellent job by Winter, The locker room should only be available to players and team staff. Media rights in the country are a joke, these privacy laws are bull shit!

Everything is like reality tv now.

Detroit_TFC
Yeah, IMO the league won't let a club set its own policy on something like this. I agree with Winter though.

Probably he'll have to rescind this but will make it know that he doesn't like it and journos who persist in lockerroom interviews will be on his shit list.

jabbronies
Jeff Blair has been talking about this on the Fan for the past 40 minutes. And I think he made a good point. With the new system TFC will be able to shelter players more easily. Whereas with locker room access the players have nowhere to hide, eventually they will have to appear in the locker room.

Unless after the game - all players are on the bike - and media has access to that room.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Unless after the game - all players are on the bike - and media has access to that room.

I think the letter makes it clear that the players wouldn't be skirting their media responsibilities.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Why does Winter say "safer and more media friendly" in the letter?

Again, as a journalist your biggest enemy is deadlines but as long as you get the content you need from the players and it's all in the same vicinity, what's the problem whether you're interviewing them in a locker room or a gym?

drewski
04-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Actually DeVos isn't really upset about it. He just let us know about it.

Molinaro wasn't too happy though. He seems to think Winter is trying to get away with breaking a rule.

Yet another slap in the face from a misguided organization.

is what he said.:rolleyes:

Whoop
04-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks, I thought de Vos was upset. LOL

Didn't de Vos play in Europe, where this is the norm?

BFin
04-04-2011, 11:01 AM
is what he said.:rolleyes:

LOL...nicely done

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Respectfully, I disagree with what Winter has done, and myself and other reporters have filed a complaint with the league.

I get that it may not appear to be a big deal but for me there is a principal involved.

The other 17 teams in MLS abide by this rule. TFC does not. That's not right. Either the rule applies to everybody, or don't bother having it.

The other issue is this.

For now, all players have been made available in the gym after the game, and TFC has said that will continue to be the case.

But what if Nana has a bad game or has a blowup on the sidelines during the game with Winter. What's to stop him from not going to the gym and instead going to the locker-room and quickly getting changed so he can avoid talking to the media?

If we had locker-room access, we could wait for a guy by his locker and he couldn't avoid talking to reporters - because at the end of the day, he still has to get dressed before heading home.

This is how I was able to talk to Dero after the cheque-signing. I waited by his locker for a good 20 minutes after most of the players left. Had I not had locker-room access, he would have been able to avoid talking to the media and wouldn't have had to explain his actions.

This gym/locker-room issue also comes on the heels of Winter's decision to close Thursday's practices to the media, which makes my job harder and in the end means less media coverage of the team.

As i said, I know it may not seem like a big deal. And I know many of you will be rolling your eyes at this - "ah, pity the poor soccer reporter who gets to go to games for free and gets paid to write about poor sports."

I get that. You shouldn't feel sympathy for me or any other reporter. Save your sympathy for people who are genuinely sympathetic.

But as I told Jeff Blair on the Fan 590 today, this is a big deal because it sets a dangerous precedent.

John Molinaro, CBC Sports

mastermixer
04-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Why does Winter say "safer and more media friendly" in the letter?

Again, as a journalist your biggest enemy is deadlines but as long as you get the content you need from the players and it's all in the same vicinity, what's the problem whether you're interviewing them in a locker room or a gym?

Not that it's a big deal, but it makes for horrible TFC TV videos. Can barely hear them when they are riding the stationary bikes.

TFCRegina
04-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Respectfully, I disagree with what Winter has done, and myself and other reporters have filed a complaint with the league.

I get that it may not appear to be a big deal but for me there is a principal involved.

The other 17 teams in MLS abide by this rule. TFC does not. That's not right. Either the rule applies to everybody, or don't bother having it.

The other issue is this.

For now, all players have been made available in the gym after the game, and TFC has said that will continue to be the case.

But what if Nana has a bad game or has a blowup on the sidelines during the game with Winter. What's to stop him from not going to the gym and instead going to the locker-room and quickly getting changed so he can avoid talking to the media?

If we had locker-room access, we could wait for a guy by his locker and he couldn't avoid talking to reporters - because at the end of the day, he still has to get dressed before heading home.

This is how I was able to talk to Dero after the cheque-signing. I waited by his locker for a good 20 minutes after most of the players left. Had I not had locker-room access, he would have been able to avoid talking to the media and wouldn't have had to explain his actions.

This gym/locker-room issue also comes on the heels of Winter's decision to close Thursday's practices to the media, which makes my job harder and in the end means less media. coverage of the team

As i said, I know it may not seem like a big deal. And I know many of you will be rolling your eyes at this - "ah, pity the poor soccer reporter who gets to go to games for free and gets paid to write about poor sports."

I get that. You shouldn't feel sympathy for me or any other reporter. Save your sympathy for people who are genuinely sympathetic.

But as I told Jeff Blair on the Fan 590 today, this is a big deal because it sets a dangerous precedent.

John

Unfortunately John, many of the fans are on the side of the club. Yes, the league has rules. But at the end of the day,the dressing room should be off limits for questions.

TFC should make it an obligation that all players make themselves available for media duty in the gym, whether they want to or not.

The gym is a perfectly acceptable place for interviews. In the past, I've generally found the locker room interviews posted on TFC TV annoying and hard to understand. The ones in the gym tend to be better.

parma
04-04-2011, 11:21 AM
That is an assumption John that players will circumvent the process and skip out, if players are still available there should not be a problem, maybe allowing someone to gather their thoughts allows for a more thoughtful response...I don 't think somethings a foot...European soccer writers still get the goods....

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 11:24 AM
That is an assumption John that players will circumvent the process and skip out, if players are still available there should not be a problem, maybe allowing someone to gather their thoughts allows for a more thoughtful response...I don 't think somethings a foot...European soccer writers still get the goods....

European soccer writers get the goods through their inside sources. What they get in the post-game interviews are prepared clichés. "We left it all on the pitch" type of stuff.

Oblio2
04-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Noth American culture for media to enter the change room and its WRONG. Well played Winter

Phil
04-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Thats the thing....when was the last time we saw a post game player interview that had any real substance to it?

I know the whole dero saga was rather public, but dressing room or not that story was there and others will continue to be.

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Totally agree with you. If players don't circumvent the process and skip out, the process should work. And TFC have said they will make everyone available.

But I am leery of accepting their word on good faith, because of what they did last Friday: practice was to be open to media at Cherry Beach. They closed it and moved it to Oakville because they knew we'd be wise to the Dero thing when we showed up and didn't see him there.

John

Whoop
04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Even with locker room access what's to stop a player from taking a quick shower and bolting right afterwards before the reporters get to the locker room?

Or stopping a player from saying, "I have no comments today, sorry" and bolting?

icecoldbeer
04-04-2011, 11:29 AM
This implementation will keep Cathal out of the cold bath

parma
04-04-2011, 11:29 AM
European soccer writers get the goods through their inside sources. What they get in the post-game interviews are prepared clichés. "We left it all on the pitch" type of stuff.

Quite true..usually other players, trainers, coaches...

drewski
04-04-2011, 11:30 AM

The other issue is this.

This gym/locker-room issue also comes on the heels of Winter's decision to close Thursday's practices to the media, which makes my job harder and in the end means less media coverage of the team.

what do the rules specifically state now? are they required to answer questions or just let you in to the locker room to ask?

if they aren't required to answer your questions, then I see no diff to them sitting there ignoring you in the locker room and not going to the alternate interview location to allow you to ask.

if they are required to answer your questions, than that same expectation is also there that they will report to alternate interview location as per Winter's letter stating that he expects them to honour their media responsibility.

JonO
04-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Even with locker room access what's to stop a player from taking a quick shower and bolting right afterwards before the reporters get to the locker room?

Or stopping a player from saying, "I have no comments today, sorry" and bolting?
Like after NY 5 - TFC 0 for example?

Brooker
04-04-2011, 11:33 AM
good stuff winter. now let me fetch the piano wire for wheeler and cathal.

oh for the love of fuck, get over yourselves.

Whoop
Exactly JonO.

pekduck

The other issue is this.

Respectfully, I do not agree with your perspective John.

A clarification request would be suffice. A complaint to the league is blowing things out of proportion with hypothetical scenarios. A rule that does not make sense needs to be amended and not blindly followed as media access to the locker room is not an entitlement but a privilege from my perspective. As long as all players are accessible in the gym what difference does it make?

This is a precedent that needs to be set to "right a wrong" :)

romburgundy
04-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Interesting. I must say I always thought it was odd to have the media in the locker room

dupont
04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Cry me a river for the media. All they ever do is try to ignite tensions and problems with the players and cause distractions. Anything to get the scoop. What they are doing is very rarely beneficial to the team or the fans since I feel like they are always trying to plant friction and problems with the players.

I know my stance on this comes off harsh but sometimes I get so angry watching the media try to stir up pointless shit and never let it go when I just want the players focused on the team and their game.

It is in the best interest of the media to have TFC falling apart since that makes for a better story and gets more views online. So I can understand why the reporters want our team to fail because it helps their job but it doesn't mean that I have to like it.

mmmikey
04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
As much as we the fans count on media to get a scoop that goes beyond our endless speculation, there is a certain point where the players and team should have the right to prioritize the good of the club above media access.

I would rather the team to have 15 mins to talk about the game, their performances and allow Winter to maybe give a blowdryer treatment if he feels it is necessary rather than get some juicy quote from the media. I'll take the platitudes that are formulated if it means a better direction for the club. Besides.. privacy. It is a right, I don't care whether your a professional athlete or not.

Sidenote: John I understand your questioning this change as setting a dangerous precedence, but I have to question why you automatically reacted with so little faith in Winter's word to make them available. You seem to have little goodwill for TFC now a days.

CoachGT
04-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I don't believe this move is without precident in Toronto. I'm pretty sure a similar situation existed with the Blue Jays a few years back. I seem to recall Kelly Gruber having issues (mainly with female reporters in the locker room, a position supported by his wife). And I thought the Leafs did this for a while.

I respect the reporter's need for access and hope the team will make sure access is still available. There have been a few good points made about the comments from the players anyway - most of the time we hear the same tired cliches. I'm sure most writers could paraphrase without ever speaking to a player.

However, after having been involved with junior hockey teams where there have been media present, this has pretty much been the position of clubs that I've been associated with. Media could request specific players and in general, the coaches made sure that the player obliged.

DOMIN8R
04-04-2011, 11:47 AM
This is an interesting issue. This league needs more access to/and reporting of players, games and teams, not less - if it hopes to grow the league in prominance.

I can see both sides of the argument. But in the end it will probably be up to the league to decide and we'll have to live with it.

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 11:48 AM
As much as we the fans count on media to get a scoop that goes beyond our endless speculation, there is a certain point where the players and team should have the right to prioritize the good of the club above media access.

I would rather the team to have 15 mins to talk about the game, their performances and allow Winter to maybe give a blowdryer treatment if he feels it is necessary rather than get some juicy quote from the media. I'll take the platitudes that are formulated if it means a better direction for the club. Besides.. privacy. It is a right, I don't care whether your a professional athlete or not.

Sidenote: John I understand your questioning this change as setting a dangerous precedence, but I have to question why you automatically reacted with so little faith in Winter's word to make them available. You seem to have little goodwill for TFC now a days.

Winter talks to the team before coming to talk to the press, so he is allowed to give them the blowdryer treatment in privacy if he wants. After he talks to the press, then we talk to players.

As for why I have little faith in his words, read my earlier posts about Winter closing Thursday practices to the media (they were always open before) and for what they did last Friday with the closing of practice.

I just see a trend developing here, and it worries me.

John

Whoop
04-04-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't believe this move is without precident in Toronto. I'm pretty sure a similar situation existed with the Blue Jays a few years back. I seem to recall Kelly Gruber having issues (mainly with female reporters in the locker room, a position supported by his wife). And I thought the Leafs did this for a while.

I respect the reporter's need for access and hope the team will make sure access is still available. There have been a few good points made about the comments from the players anyway - most of the time we hear the same tired cliches. I'm sure most writers could paraphrase without ever speaking to a player.

However, after having been involved with junior hockey teams where there have been media present, this has pretty much been the position of clubs that I've been associated with. Media could request specific players and in general, the coaches made sure that the player obliged.

That's what I have been accustomed to. Reporters would come down and ask to speak with player x, y, z and the player would come outside the dressing room to speak with the reporter. Same with the coach.

eustacchio
04-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Are they required by the league to hold open practices for the media?

FreekAce
04-04-2011, 11:55 AM
good stuff winter. now let me fetch the piano wire for wheeler and cathal.

oh for the love of fuck, get over yourselves.

this. talk about making mountains out of molehills.
its quite clear john has issues with the club, but lets not start nit picking over every little ffing thing.

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Are they required by the league to hold open practices for the media?

No, they aren't.

But again, they always were in the past. And the fact they are closed now, coupled with the locker-room/gym issue and what happened last Friday, is leading to a dangerous trend, IMO.

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 11:57 AM
this. talk about making mountains out of molehills.
its quite clear john has issues with the club, but lets not start nit picking over every little ffing thing.

Nope, I don't have any issues with the club at all. And I quite like Aron, both as a coach and a person.

I just think what they are doing with the locker room, in conjunction with other recent events, is wrong.

JonO
04-04-2011, 11:59 AM
As for why I have little faith in his words, read my earlier posts about Winter closing Thursday practices to the media (they were always open before) and for what they did last Friday with the closing of practice.

I appreciate your concern, but are practices required to be open? If not then it's certainly Winter's perogative to close practice to make sure nothing leaks (whether we like it or not). There is nothing to suggest he wouldn't live up to an obligation to make players available after a game.

eustacchio
04-04-2011, 12:00 PM
^ that's what I was getting at

mmmikey
04-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Winter talks to the team before coming to talk to the press, so he is allowed to give them the blowdryer treatment in privacy if he wants. After he talks to the press, then we talk to players.

John

Saw that post about practice, and while I understand what you are saying, and sympathize with you that it must be frustrating to you as you try to do your job, it really is not Winter's job to maintain media access if he feels it would be detrimental. The manager must put the best interests of his team above all. Your dealing with a guy who is cultivating a new culture, and even those who deal with the team from the outside looking in like yourself in the media will be affected.

If he starts pulling the Sir Alex stuff, fine you have a point, but I don't think we are anywhere close to that extreme.

Pigfynn
04-04-2011, 12:01 PM
John, you are posting on a supporters forum. Most people here are only interested in what might help our team win. If Winter feels that this will help the boys win then I don't care where and when you get to ask them about it.

It's all about success and some managers don't think media in the dressing room helps with the success of the team. That's all that needs saying.

prizby
04-04-2011, 12:04 PM

The other issue is this.

pretty sure fergie has been avoiding the bbc for years

why can't you just wait at the locker room exit?

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 12:05 PM
I appreciate your concern, but are practices required to be open? If not then it's certainly Winter's perogative to close practice to make sure nothing leaks (whether we like it or not). There is nothing to suggest he wouldn't live up to an obligation to make players available after a game.

Fair enough. I respect you feel that way about the closing of practices, so long as you then don't complain about there being a lack of stories on TFC to read in the media on that day - hard for me to write about the team in a comprehensive way if I can't talk to players or the coach at practice.

John

pekduck
04-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Saw that post about practice, and while I understand what you are saying, and sympathize with you that it must be frustrating to you as you try to do your job, it really is not Winter's job to maintain media access if he feels it would be detrimental. The manager must put the best interests of his team above all. Your dealing with a guy who is cultivating a new culture, and even those who deal with the team from the outside looking in like yourself in the media will be affected.

If he starts pulling the Sir Alex stuff, fine you have a point, but I don't think we are anywhere close to that extreme.

There, albeit the drama with the club is always there, but without media amplifying it (timing of release, partial info at time of release, perspective etc), it won't run on itself wild like it has been in the past. I know this is part of the reporting and investigative work and due diligence of journalism and nothing wrong with it. However, it is not in the best interest of the new culture and new coach to continue the 'old way' when the team is 'sick'. Let it heal first, things hopefully would get better.

EDIT: this board is always full of drama with everyone quoting 'sources' lol it doesn't count

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 12:08 PM
John, you are posting on a supporters forum. Most people here are only interested in what might help our team win. If Winter feels that this will help the boys win then I don't care where and when you get to ask them about it.

It's all about success and some managers don't think media in the dressing room helps with the success of the team. That's all that needs saying.

Fair enough. I respect your view.

The only reason why I am posting here is so that I can explain myself so you know where I am coming from.

Pookie
04-04-2011, 12:10 PM
There is a bit of an unspoken issue here that is bigger than the one that we are discussing on the surface.

Most teams now recognize that "content" has value. And in establishing their own TV Stations (GolTV, LeafsTV, RaptorsTV as an example), if they control the content they control the message AND the revenue.

Breaking stories on team owned networks, exclusive "access" to players before anyone else, expanded pre and post game coverage, etc. If you aren't working for the team, you may be on the outside of the big scoop and in this era of "speed to press" this is a big deal.

It's not unusual in sports. Yankees have YES network, even the Rogers' owned Blue Jays probably favour Rogers' Sportsnet in some way, shape, or form.

In some ways it is expected. In others it is a little dangerous as you could end up with FOXNews when it comes to spin.

I have no issue with Winter's stance, in fact, I encourage it. Provided of course that the mainstream media is given the same access (in a gym or whatever) to the same sources that team-owned outlets enjoy.

FreekAce
04-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Nope, I don't have any issues with the club at all. And I quite like Aron, both as a coach and a person.

I just think what they are doing with the locker room, in conjunction with other recent events, is wrong.

my mistake then, to me thats how your tweets and article from the last couple of days came across.

s2cazz
04-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Fair enough. I respect you feel that way about the closing of practices, so long as you then don't complain about there being a lack of stories on TFC to read in the media on that day - hard for me to write about the team in a comprehensive way if I can't talk to players or the coach at practice.

John

John

I like you and always enjoy reading your work. This will make your job harder to do and I can appreciate that and why you are upset about it. At the end of the day Mr. Winter is responsible to maintain what he thinks is best for the club.

At work when my job gets harder I can't petition anyone to change the rules for me. I have 2 choices:
1. Just suck it up and do what I get paid to do.
2. Quit and find something new to pay the bills.

We all love reading about TFC and love to know whats happening on and off the field but personally if I have to sacrifice that for a winning club I think you know what my answer (and everyone else on this board for that fact) will be. Mr. Winter has made it clear that players will still live up to media obligations so as long as they do you will probably be just fine. If they don't then its time to be upset.

spark
04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
I find it completely baffling how many people are in agreement with this.

I guess they like the hard hitting coverage delivered on torontofc.ca or goltv?

Alot of assumptions from people who don't have a clue. Listen to the show on 590 - Blair makes strong points and also with regards to the club 'making players available' he said "been there done that - it does not work".

I've already heard about what's going on in the gym and while the players are in there, they are not 100% accessible as several approaches to talk with players have been reneged because they are stretching and need to focus on that, or are swarmed on their bike and eventually are just done with it.

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 12:15 PM
my mistake then, to me thats how your tweets and article from the last couple of days came across.

Well, the team in my view has looked pretty poor to start the season.

Once they turn things around, I can write more positive articles about the team.

s2cazz
04-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Alot of assumptions from people who don't have a clue. Listen to the show on 590 - Blair makes strong points and also with regards to the club 'making players available' he said "been there done that - it does not work".

I've already heard about what's going on in the gym and while the players are in there, they are not 100% accessible as several approaches to talk with players have been reneged because they are stretching and need to focus on that, or are swarmed on their bike and eventually are just done with it.
How would you feel if you were just running your ass off on the field and all you want to do is shower and get changed but you get bombarded with questions before you can do that. Give the boys a chance to rest and give a more intelligent answer to the questions

Pigfynn
04-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Fair enough. I respect your view.

The only reason why I am posting here is so that I can explain myself so you know where I am coming from.

I appreciate that it's your job and that it makes it tough for you and your peers though and I'm definitely not saying I'm against you guys doing what you have to do. I just know what people here really care about and most would take 3 pts on any given Saturday over a whole lotta interviews in the locker room.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 12:17 PM

There's a reason guys are on the bike and stretching after the game. It's not to avoid the media.

That's why you see a lot of post game interviews these days done in gyms. That's what the joke was with the Ottawa Senators for years. But there's a reason why guys are on bikes post-game.

Detroit_TFC
04-04-2011, 12:17 PM
We as fans do have a vested interest in getting as much press access to the team as possible. We also have a vested interest in seeing the off-the-pitch drama subside. I see this as a reasonable adjustment to shift the interviews to a mixed zone outside the locker room. If it is being done to prevent the media from getting access to players, then I wouldn't be ok with it. Let's see how it works for a few weeks.

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 12:18 PM
John

I like you and always enjoy reading your work. This will make your job harder to do and I can appreciate that and why you are upset about it. At the end of the day Mr. Winter is responsible to maintain what he thinks is best for the club.

At work when my job gets harder I can't petition anyone to change the rules for me. I have 2 choices:
1. Just suck it up and do what I get paid to do.
2. Quit and find something new to pay the bills.

We all love reading about TFC and love to know whats happening on and off the field but personally if I have to sacrifice that for a winning club I think you know what my answer (and everyone else on this board for that fact) will be. Mr. Winter has made it clear that players will still live up to media obligations so as long as they do you will probably be just fine. If they don't then its time to be upset.

Fair enough. I respect where you are coming from.

As I said on the Jeff Blair show, don't waste a single ounce of sympathy on me over this. I get paid to write about a sport I am deeply passionate about, so save your sympathy for someone who is truly deserving.

Hope I haven't rubbed anyone here the wrong way and that you'll continue to read me.

John

brad
04-04-2011, 12:18 PM

"Sir Alex" stuff is usually manipulating the media for the good of the team. He is very calculated on how he does this and what results he will get, and is a master of this. It may not make him popular, but it is very effective.

Pachuco
04-04-2011, 12:19 PM

How dare a player try to do stretches in peace or try to change his clothes in the privacy of his teammates as opposed to strangers asking him questions. I'm guessing if the media petitioned the MLS to sleep in the player's bedroom you'd be all for that as well.

spark
04-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I have no issue with Winter's stance, in fact, I encourage it. Provided of course that the mainstream media is given the same access (in a gym or whatever) to the same sources that team-owned outlets enjoy.

Do you really think that will be the case though?

The other thing I'm finding strange in terms of the reaction here is, don't people think this just their way of controlling the news (or at least drastically limiting) coming out of the club? I mean this forum goes ape-shit crazy for any type of rumour or breaking story - well you can pretty much kiss that goodbye.

If JDG has another crap season, will everyone be satisfied with the TFC TV interviews? Or do you want someone to put him on the spot and ask him hard questions?

BFin
04-04-2011, 12:21 PM
If I was a player I'd prefer to have that privacy so that I could cool down after a loss, or let loose after a win with my teammates and coaches.

canadian_bhoy
04-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't think that reporters should be in the locker room. It's a stupid concept and shouldn't be in place anyway - good on Winter to show some respect to the players and give them a bit of piece to shower and decompress after the match without some reporter shoving a mic in their face.

djking2
04-04-2011, 12:22 PM

John

No, they aren't.

But again, they always were in the past. And the fact they are closed now, coupled with the locker-room/gym issue and what happened last Friday, is leading to a dangerous trend, IMO.

John with due respect to the fact that CBC was one of few members of the media that did attempt to cover TFC reasonably well. None of what you say whether it's the worry, the dangerous trend or the simple fact that Winter's decision is just wrong has anything to do with putting a quality side on the field. Why you think supporters will favor the type of journalism that will potentially escalate issues by being in someone's face before they have the chance to collect their thoughts escapes me.

Phil
04-04-2011, 12:28 PM

As I said on the Jeff Blair show, don't waste a single ounce of sympathy on me over this. I get paid to write about a sport I am deeply passionate about, so save your sympathy for someone who is truly deserving.

Hope I haven't rubbed anyone here the wrong way and that you'll continue to read me.

John

I think there is a very important point brought up by some, and that is getting an objective view on the team and its players and any issues that arise.

I also get that the club wants to mitigate the amount of damage that may be endured in the short term.

I feel bad for the deadlines you are under John but I also have confidence that if there is a story there, it seems like you will be able to uncover it. That is the biggest issue because from what I see if we don't at least question this, the club may start to shut down access alltogether and only give pre-packeged tidbits to everyone.

It is tough for anybody to be under the MLSE banner in terms of ownership in this town, that goes for the players, front office and reporters.

All that being said, I dont have a problem with removing the locker room access as other have said, they still need to be available post game at some point.

FreekAce
04-04-2011, 12:32 PM

Once they turn things around, I can write more positive articles about the team.

really? considering were pretty much doing the whole rebuild thing and implementing an entire new look at things not only in terms of play, but how everthing is done from top to bottom, i think it could have been a hell of a lot worse. guess its a glass half full/half empty depending on the person.

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 12:35 PM
I feel bad for the deadlines you are under John but I also have confidence that if there is a story there, it seems like you will be able to uncover it. That is the biggest issue because from what I see if we don't at least question this, the club may start to shut down access alltogether and only give pre-packeged tidbits to everyone.

Exactly. Which is part of the reason why I am raising a bit of a fuss over this.

Again, I respect all those who disagree with me on this. And I hope you continue to read me.

John

Blowing Bubbles
04-04-2011, 12:35 PM
TFC is not bigger than MLS. Either TFC petitions the league to change the rules, or they follow them and grumble about it. But just unilaterally declaring that you won't follow them is not right.

And do we really want European style reporting where 10% of the media produces excellent articles and the other 90% is tabloidish speculation on injury status, contract status, etc?

Whoop
04-04-2011, 12:38 PM
John, no worries.

A good reporter will still be able to get the real story.

FreekAce
04-04-2011, 12:40 PM
TFC is not bigger than MLS. Either TFC petitions the league to change the rules, or they follow them and grumble about it. But just unilaterally declaring that you won't follow them is not right.

And do we really want English style reporting where 10% of the media produces excellent articles and the other 90% is tabloidish speculation on injury status, contract status, etc?

fyp, that sort of rubbish is found predominantly in the UK.

CoachGT
04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
John, you've had better coverage of the team than a lot of the media. Don't worry about your following here - it is secure.

Carts
04-04-2011, 12:43 PM

And do we really want European style reporting where 10% of the media produces excellent articles and the other 90% is tabloidish speculation on injury status, contract status, etc?

That's well said - b/c it was Winter in the past few days that kept saying "nobody is bigger than the club" now he is trying the same type attitude he dislikes in players himself with the league...

I wonder if he/TFC tried talking to the league about it...???

Carts...

Yohan
04-04-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't think that reporters should be in the locker room. It's a stupid concept and shouldn't be in place anyway - good on Winter to show some respect to the players and give them a bit of piece to shower and decompress after the match without some reporter shoving a mic in their face.
yarly. last thing I'd want to do in a locker room is answering questions with a towel wrapped around my waist. too much intrusion of privacy IMO

gcolacci
04-04-2011, 12:51 PM
I guess i can only ask this question to John,

After yesterdays game did you feel there was anything wrong with your access to the players. Did you not get the quotes you wanted - did any players leave.

By the looks of it Winter has mandated a cool down session in the gym after every game. and if every player has to be there then its just as good as the locker room.

------

Brooker
04-04-2011, 12:53 PM
TFC is not bigger than MLS. Either TFC petitions the league to change the rules, or they follow them and grumble about it.

MLS doesn't even follow their own rules. :D

spark
04-04-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm guessing if the media petitioned the MLS to sleep in the player's bedroom you'd be all for that as well.

Oh wow you got me. check mate. :rolleyes:

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 12:56 PM

After yesterdays game did you feel there was anything wrong with your access to the players. Did you not get the quotes you wanted - did any players leave.

By the looks of it Winter has mandated a cool down session in the gym after every game. and if every player has to be there then its just as good as the locker room.

------

Everyone was there so it went fine.

But I worry when/if someone doesn't show up in the future because they are trying to dodges us.

Before when that happened, we could at least wait for them by their locker (as I did with Dero after the cheque signing thing).

Under this arrangement, if someone tries to avoid us, I have no recourse other than to complain to the team.

JM

ryan
04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
If Toronto media didn't tend to be so "glass half empty", or so I believe them to be, I wonder if this would still be happening.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 12:58 PM
John, but could a guy duck out before the reporters get to the locker room?

colman1860
04-04-2011, 12:59 PM
So what if players don't want to talk to journalists after every game? The idea that a journalist has some sort of right to lurk by their locker ("because they can't escape there!") is really off-putting to me.

Suds
04-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Tough one. As a fan I want the inside news about my team in a timely fashion, however, as someone who has played sports at a decent level I can understand keeping the dressing room for just the team. Player, mangers, trainers, and coaches only! (front office staff can stay out as far as I'm concerned too)

It's a slippery slope to start denying access to the players. The rules front the MLS are there for everyone's benefit. It tells the media when they are, and are not, able to access players and provides teams with a process to work with.

IMO, as long as the media still get access by that minute timeframe I can live with Winter's decision that the access will be outside the dressing room. I don't think I would be as supportive if this starts trending to media being shut out for a long period following the game. I hope there can be a good compromise.

McBrace
04-04-2011, 01:01 PM
I like the idea of players being able to dodge the media at times. It allows the player to cool off and not say anything stupid that they may regret down the road.

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 01:03 PM
John, but could a guy duck out before the reporters get to the locker room?

It would be very hard for them to do that because Aron talks to the team right after the game before he comes to talk to the media.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey, the media competition in Toronto with Rogers/Sportsnet and CTV/TSN is just heating up....

Whoop
04-04-2011, 01:04 PM
It would be very hard for them to do that because Aron talks to the team right after the game before he comes to talk to the media.

Thanks. I figured.

But now how do you handle a player who says "I have nothing to say today guys"?

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 01:04 PM
So what if players don't want to talk to journalists after every game? The idea that a journalist has some sort of right to lurk by their locker ("because they can't escape there!") is really off-putting to me.

Then they can say "I don't want to talk to you."

I wouldn't like it, but I would accept it and walk away gracefully because at least they had enough respect for me to tell me to my face.

Mark TFC
04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Then they can say "I don't want to talk to you."

I wouldn't like it, but I would accept it and walk away gracefully because at least they had enough respect for me to tell me to my face.

Maybe respect also consists of allowing the players to have their own place to breathe?

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Maybe respect also consists of allowing the players to have their own place to breathe?

Fair point.

billyfly
04-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Tough one. As a fan I want the inside news about my team in a timely fashion, however, as someone who has played sports at a decent level I can understand keeping the dressing room for just the team. Player, mangers, trainers, and coaches only! (front office staff can stay out as far as I'm concerned too)

It's a slippery slope to start denying access to the players. The rules front the MLS are there for everyone's benefit. It tells the media when they are, and are not, able to access players and provides teams with a process to work with.

IMO, as long as the media still get access by that minute timeframe I can live with Winter's decision that the access will be outside the dressing room. I don't think I would be as supportive if this starts trending to media being shut out for a long period following the game. I hope there can be a good compromise.

Drinking games don't count Jason.

s2cazz
04-04-2011, 01:20 PM

John

Always have, Always will. Just keep doing a good job.

I may not agree with you but I know your heart is in the right place. It's all about giving the fan the info and I respect that.

Like I said if Mr. Winter does not keep his commitment to the accessibility of the players to the press then I would have a problem as well.

boozilla
04-04-2011, 01:22 PM
1. Winter's looking out for the team.
2. I'd rather read one less rambling JDG interview anyway.
3. Reporters may have to work a little harder.

ManUtd4ever
04-04-2011, 01:27 PM

The other issue is this.

John, I consider you to be one of the most objective, well respected, TFC beat writers in the city. Unfortunately, some of your colleagues have tried to make a living by utilizing bias, nonfactual reporting to further their own agendas and generate juicy headlines.

Aron Winter has walked into a perverbial shitstorm since he was hired, and he is likely trying to limit further needless controversies that seem to plague this organization by implementing controlled media access.

That being said, I hope the players honor their obligations so that you can still do your job effectively.

mastermixer
04-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks to MLSE practically admitting they have screwed up the last 4 years, this team is now under a very critical microscope. Every little move from this team and quote by players will be pulled and analyzied by the media, then the fans. I think Winter just wants some control over that. What's the big deal with giving the players a few more minutes to wind down?

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
John, I consider you to be one of the most objective, well respected, TFC beat writers in the city. Unfortunately, some of your colleagues have tried to make a living by utilizing bias, nonfactual reporting to further their own agendas and generate juicy headlines.

Aron Winter has walked into a perverbial shitstorm since he was hired, and he is likely trying to limit further needless controversies that seem to plague this organization by implementing controlled media access.

That being said, I hope the players honor their obligations so that you can still do your job effectively.

Thank you for kind words.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
1. Winter's looking out for the team.
2. I'd rather read one less rambling JDG interview anyway.
3. Reporters may have to work a little harder.

I think this is what it comes down to.

And like I said a good reporter will still find the stories.

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 01:39 PM
I find it incredible that people are siding with TFC management on this one.

I get the feeling this is due to the messiah obsession people have with new management that comes into TFC every time. Preki comes in? He's our saviour and can do no wrong. Winter comes in? The same.

How people react to their behaviour is almost directly correlated to how loved they are at the time. If Preki did this sort of thing at the beginning of the year, people would agree with it. If he did it in the weeks before he was booted out, we'd be all over him.

The same with Winter. He does it while people are in awe of his wonderful mastery of "total football" that he has brought to Toronto. If we suck this year and have another disappointing end of the year and he would have tried this then? :lol:

Yeeeeeeeah right...

People want their cake and eat it too. Decide people. Either you want honesty and forthrightness or you want censored, prepared statements. One gets you a better understanding of the goings on with the team, the other feeds your idealism for the perfect team with no problems whatsoever...it tickles your ears...the choice is yours.

Suds
04-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Drinking games don't count Jason.

:jaw:

Oldtimer
04-04-2011, 01:46 PM
I get the feeling this is due to the messiah obsession people have with new management that comes into TFC every time. Preki comes in? He's our saviour and can do no wrong. Winter comes in? The same.

Talk about revisionist history. For the first while, people were calling for Preki to be fired. After a long win streak, then people jumped on the bandwagon. After the WC, there was a slump, and people called for his head again. I hardly call that a "messiah obsession."

Gazza
04-04-2011, 01:50 PM

How people react to their behaviour is almost directly correlated to how loved they are at the time. If Preki did this sort of thing at the beginning of the year, people would agree with it. If he did it in the weeks before he was booted out, we'd be all over him.

The same with Winter. He does it while people are in awe of his wonderful mastery of "total football" that he has brought to Toronto. If we suck this year and have another disappointing end of the year and he would have tried this then? :lol:

Yeeeeeeeah right...

People want their cake and eat it too. Decide people. Either you want honesty and forthrightness or you want censored, prepared statements. One gets you a better understanding of the goings on with the team, the other feeds your idealism for the perfect team with no problems whatsoever...it tickles your ears...the choice is yours.

Is it censorship to not allow reporters in the dressing room? Maybe censoring them from seeing players in the buff, but who really cares about that?

They will still get to interview the players, they may just have to wait 10 mins. I can't stand lazy "journalism" nowadays. I'm all for making "journalists" work harder for their sound bites.

The dressing room should be sacred, and i'm sure that most coaches would agree to that.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 01:53 PM
The most important stories normally aren't broken after games.

JonO
04-04-2011, 01:56 PM
They will still get to interview the players, they may just have to wait 10 mins.
According to MLS rules, the coach can keep the room journo-free for up to 10 minutes anyway (or so I believe), so the time isn't a big deal. IF the league even allows this, is their a potential for abuse by TFC? Sure. Is there any reason to believe they will do so. Nothing substantial in my opinion.

If I was in the league office I would allow TFC to do this with the caveat that one abuse of power and they go back to the locker room. Win-Win really...

JonO
04-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Either you want honesty and forthrightness or you want censored, prepared statements. One gets you a better understanding of the goings on with the team, the other feeds your idealism for the perfect team with no problems whatsoever...it tickles your ears...the choice is yours.
Roogsy - Everything black or white? There is nothing specific to a post-locker room interview that precludes honesty and forthrightness, just like there is nothing precluding a locker room interview with censored, prepared statements. It largely depends on the person being interviewed.

Anyway, even Molinaro appears to be more concerned with player access than player honesty. [I hope I am not misinterpreting you JM] I mean really, to most athletes, the extra few seconds this may afford them are minimal at best.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Wouldn't a better idea be to create a post-game interview area like they do in many other sports?

Another chance to sell more advertising?

http://cdn9.wn.com/vp/i/f2/f3ae3c61c1be1f.jpg

http://cdn0.wn.com/vp/i/5e/9e17d99b3b25e8.jpg

http://crowdfusion.myspacecdn.com/media/manchester-united-vs-newcastle-sir-alex-ferguson-post-match-interview-621x322.jpg

Instead of having to go to the locker room?

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Talk about revisionist history. For the first while, people were calling for Preki to be fired. After a long win streak, then people jumped on the bandwagon. After the WC, there was a slump, and people called for his head again. I hardly call that a "messiah obsession."

:lol:

I have no idea how you remember the first period of Preki's short stay here that way but nobody was calling for him to be fired in the beginning. At worst, those of us (and I include myself) who did not like the Preki hiring simply did not give our approval, much like I have been abstaining from giving my approval to Winter until I see something. Would you call that asking for him to be "fired"?

ryan
04-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Yeeeeeeeah right...

So because of Preki's failure we're supposed to hold judgement with Winter and Co?

I'm here to support this club. I like what I've seen so far with a revamped roster and approach to the game. If Winter feels this is best (and I agree with it), then why not support it if I'm in support of what he's done so far? Give the guy some slack, he's not responsible for any of the previous mess he inherited yet some of you guys seemingly can't wait to hang him for doing what he's doing. Why do Toronto fans CRAVE the thought of their sports teams failing? They just can't wait to be right about it.

From what little I've read, you have some issue with supporting Winter right now because of past failings by the club. I think it's a poor approach to not take a clean slate with new management, but do whatever makes you happy.

Also, from seeing all the post game interviews in the gym last Saturday, I didn't see any "canned" responses from the players. Not often you hear a player call another team crap, which is basically what Gordon did.

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Roogsy - Everything black or white? There is nothing specific to a post-locker room interview that precludes honesty and forthrightness, just like there is nothing precluding a locker room interview with censored, prepared statements. It largely depends on the person being interviewed.

Anyway, even Molinaro appears to be more concerned with player access than player honesty. [I hope I am not misinterpreting you JM] I mean really, to most athletes, the extra few seconds this may afford them are minimal at best.

John is most concerned about the violation of a press rule, because if Winter gets away with this one, he can certainly try for another one. It's not fair tot he Toronto media core to work under one set of rules if the other media in other cities get other sets of rules.

As for censorship, my point is that if you give Winter the kind of lattitude that he is trying to enforce here, then certainly the issue of censorship and filtering of information becomes an issue. We already getting "vetted" information out of TFC, the risk is that it gets worse not better and I am sure the reporters would not want to cooperate in having that happen.

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 02:13 PM
So because of Preki's failure we're supposed to hold judgement with Winter and Co?

I'm here to support this club. I like what I've seen so far with a revamped roster and approach to the game. If Winter feels this is best (and I agree with it), then why not support it if I'm in support of what he's done so far? Give the guy some slack, he's not responsible for any of the previous mess he inherited yet some of you guys seemingly can't wait to hang him for doing what he's doing. Why do Toronto fans CRAVE the thought of their sports teams failing? They just can't wait to be right about it.

From what little I've read, you have some issue with supporting Winter right now because of past failings by the club. I think it's a poor approach to not take a clean slate with new management, but do whatever makes you happy.

Also, from seeing all the post game interviews in the gym last Saturday, I didn't see any "canned" responses from the players. Not often you hear a player call another team crap, which is basically what Gordon did.

I have not approved nor condemned Winter in any way. I simply don't accept giving him carte blance to restrict access to players, especially when it does not conform to rules. That is exactly the problem with how MoJo got himself in trouble. The media is the only "check" we have in place with this team.

By accepting this, you are basically falling into the same trap that we did with MoJo except this time we hope it's with someone who isn't a snake. But the essence of hte mistake is the same. I would not feel comfortable giving ANYONE, that kind of lattitude, to disregard rules and regulations from the league.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 02:14 PM
I'd be more concerned with closed practices than restricted access after a game.

The stories that need to be broken usually get broken on non-game days.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Unless someone makes some gesture during the game. :lol:

ryan
04-04-2011, 02:17 PM
I have not approved nor condemned Winter in any way. I simply don't accept giving him carte blance to restrict access to players, especially when it does not conform to rules. That is exactly the problem with how MoJo got himself in trouble. The media is the only "check" we have in place with this team.

By accepting this, you are basically falling into the same trap that we did with MoJo except this time we hope it's with someone who isn't a snake.

I don't necessarily feel that way when I read some of your thoughts, but if you say so then I'll take your word.

At the end of the day I feel that it's simply a matter of which 4 walls they talk to the players in. After the Chivas game I believe all players were there and interviewed with no canned responses.

It might be a "trap", but right now there's no evidence of it.

nfitz
04-04-2011, 02:32 PM

Once they turn things around, I can write more positive articles about the team.Did you not see any positives in Saturday's game? The whole premise of your Saturday article that they looked lost with DeRo was bizarre. The looked lost at the back - as usual. I don't see how this was related to DeRo.

Looked more like an effort to get DeRo's name into the headline to increase hits than to have a resonable premise to the article.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I think you're thinking of the Toronto Sun article, not CBC.

DichioTFC
04-04-2011, 02:35 PM

The other issue is this.

From slap in the face to dangerous precedent, give me a break. At what point does your objectivity become an issue? You're as critical of the management as we are!

Your main issue seems to be players avoiding reporters, but there's been no evidence to suggest that this would happen. I totally disagree that this means less media coverage of the team, the team will always have a beat and the Toronto public will always demand TFC-related stories.

Complaining to the league is totally in poor form, especially since most of your concerns are baseless and unfounded.

John, no worries.

A good reporter will still be able to get the real story.

Maybe that's why De Vos isn't sweating it while Molinaro is.

TFCRegina
04-04-2011, 02:44 PM
^ Uncalled for dude.

FreekAce
04-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Did you not see any positives in Saturday's game? The whole premise of your Saturday article that they looked lost with DeRo was bizarre. The looked lost at the back - as usual. I don't see how this was related to DeRo.

Looked more like an effort to get DeRo's name into the headline to increase hits than to have a resonable premise to the article.

thats exactly what i was thinking reading it. and its not as if TFC never looked lost with Dero in the last 2 seasons.

spark
04-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Complaining to the league is totally in poor form, especially since most of your concerns are baseless and unfounded.

??? What are you on about - it's A LEAGUE RULE.

De Vos isn't sweating it (no offence to JDV but it's true) because he's not a reporter, he's a colour commentator who write the odd opinion piece.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 02:49 PM
De Vos, though, did call it a slap in the face.

s2cazz
04-04-2011, 02:54 PM
From slap in the face to dangerous precedent, give me a break. At what point does your objectivity become an issue? You're as critical of the management as we are!

Your main issue seems to be players avoiding reporters, but there's been no evidence to suggest that this would happen. I totally disagree that this means less media coverage of the team, the team will always have a beat and the Toronto public will always demand TFC-related stories.

That was pretty offside man. John does a good job.

I for one am a fan. I don't agree with him on this issue he is making a big deal out of it for the right reasons.

edit: John not only does a good job but he makes himself accessible to us which is pretty cool of him. You ever see Cathal Kelly on here (the guy would probably get lynched)?

Comments like that are what drives people like John and even Paul Bierne away from being open with us.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I think Aron Winter is right, the dressing room is off limits!

I also think Mr. Molinaro should respect the decision of our head coach, rather
Then cry about!....

Beach_Red
04-04-2011, 03:06 PM
There is a bit of an unspoken issue here that is bigger than the one that we are discussing on the surface.

Most teams now recognize that "content" has value. And in establishing their own TV Stations (GolTV, LeafsTV, RaptorsTV as an example), if they control the content they control the message AND the revenue.

Breaking stories on team owned networks, exclusive "access" to players before anyone else, expanded pre and post game coverage, etc. If you aren't working for the team, you may be on the outside of the big scoop and in this era of "speed to press" this is a big deal.

It's not unusual in sports. Yankees have YES network, even the Rogers' owned Blue Jays probably favour Rogers' Sportsnet in some way, shape, or form.

In some ways it is expected. In others it is a little dangerous as you could end up with FOXNews when it comes to spin.

Yeah, this is what's important here. And how the league reacts. Or really, how the team will react to what the league has to say. If the MLS tell Winter he can't do this will the team side with him or the league?

mdc 77
04-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Then cry about!....

Seriously? Why should he?

spark
04-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Then cry about!....

And please explain why our head coach should not follow league rules?

brad
04-04-2011, 03:15 PM
And please explain why our head coach should not follow league rules?

Because he thinks there is a benefit to the team to not follow them?

gcolacci
04-04-2011, 03:22 PM

------

drewski
04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
De Vos, though, did call it a slap in the face.

when?

Molinaro tweeted it but never heard/saw that from De Vos.

mmmikey
04-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Really? Censorship? You gotta be kidding me. If TFC went to CBC after John wrote his article and demanded to review and edit his content, then you can call it censorship.

DichioTFC
04-04-2011, 03:26 PM

It was meant more tongue-in-cheek, but still, the point remains that a good reporter can get the story no matter which room they have to go to for post-game player interviews

such obstacles, a man should not have to bear
:rolleyes:

DichioTFC
04-04-2011, 03:28 PM
??? What are you on about - it's A LEAGUE RULE.

De Vos isn't sweating it (no offence to JDV but it's true) because he's not a reporter, he's a colour commentator who write the odd opinion piece.

MLS are all about enforcing league rules, aren't they? Besides, the spirit of the rule (post-game access for player interviews) will still be respected and adhered to. The problems Molinaro suggested could happen are groundless.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 03:31 PM
when?

Molinaro tweeted it but never heard/saw that from De Vos.

Then I apologize to De Vos as I had thought he had tweeted that. But then was told he didn't than told he did. :o

spark
04-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Because he thinks there is a benefit to the team to not follow them?

Ok - but if Kreis, Arena, Schmidt, Kinnear, Backe etc ... - you know, people who've coached more than 3 MLS games, are able to win, and their players as well, most of whom are far more high profile than those at TFC right now, adhere to this rule, again, I'm just wondering why we'd be considered a special case?

ManUtd4ever
04-04-2011, 03:35 PM
The last coach/GM/owner in Toronto to try this was Harold Ballard, was it not? LOL

Man, I hope that's not a bad omen.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 03:37 PM
I think people are confusing the issue. The team isn't refusing to speak with the media.

Oldtimer
04-04-2011, 03:38 PM
It was meant more tongue-in-cheek,

I'm sorry, you don't come across as witty tongue-in-cheek.

Cheeky, yes, but not-tongue in cheek.

TFC OZZ
04-04-2011, 03:39 PM
For the time being I'm going to have to agree with Aron Winter's decision to deny media locker room access; i never like it in the first place. Having said that, John Molinaro brings up a great point and maybe it is worth further discussion. At the end of the day he is still a valuable reporter for this team, and his opinion is clearly worth more than some people are giving him credit for.

Thanks a lot John, I appreciate your reporting.

ManUtd4ever
04-04-2011, 03:40 PM
I think people are confusing the issue. The team isn't refusing to speak with the media.

I know, I'm just having fun with it. Besides, I'm pretty sure Ballard only banned reporters from the locker room.

v00d00daddy
04-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Ok - but if Kreis, Arena, Schmidt, Kinnear, Backe etc ... - you know, people who've coached more than 3 MLS games, are able to win, and their players as well, most of whom are far more high profile than those at TFC right now, adhere to this rule, again, I'm just wondering why we'd be considered a special case?

That's fine for them. It has nothing to do with TFC and Winter.

I think if Winter wants to give full access to the media in a room other than the locker room he should be able to do that.

If it's wrong because MLS says so then MLS is wrong. If all they're concerned about is media access than their worries are addressed as long as Winter sticks to his word and makes the players available in the gym after the game.

For those of you who don't trust Winter because you're afraid he could turn out to be a snake...well...I feel sorry for you. It must be hard to be so distrusting of people you know nothing about.

I'd rather give him the benefit of the doubt and change my mind if he gives me reason to. I'm not afraid to admit that I was wrong about somebody.

JMo..I really like you're writing but I think this comes off as whiny.

Globetrotter
04-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Just my opinion, but reporters of any type should not be in the dressing room for any team in any sport. Off limits.

Like Molinaro said, a guy can avoid the gym or press areas, get dressed and go home. Good! I don't want to go to a locker and have some boob with a mic in my face. Let me shower. Let me put my clothes on. Let me discuss some private things with my teammates behind closed doors. You want to do your job? Wait with the fans outside the building and try to catch me as I leave.

Winters is right, and all other coaches should follow his lead. MLS should change their rules; not because of Winter, but because it's the right thing to do.

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 03:46 PM
I'd be more concerned with closed practices than restricted access after a game.

I am WAY more concerned about closed practices, and I have raised that issue with TFC's PR folks, as well.

I've asked them to approach Aron about opening Thursday practices again.

v00d00daddy
04-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Also...if MLS and the media win this fight my first course of action if I were Winter would be to advise the players to only give the following answers to every single question asked.

1. "This game is behind us. We're going to start working on winning the next one."
2. "No comment"

It'd be funny to read the same shitty quotes after every game, in every publication.

Batman
04-04-2011, 03:48 PM
I have no problem with locker room being off limits.

It seems the interviews in the gym following matches, have worked fine anyway.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Also...if MLS and the media win this fight my first course of action if I were Winter would be to advise the players to only give the following answers to every single question asked.

1. "This game is behind us. We're going to start working on winning the next one."
2. "No comment"

It'd be funny to read the same shitty quotes after every game, in every publication.

That's what I would coach the players to do if that was the case as well.

ManUtd4ever
04-04-2011, 03:52 PM
I am WAY more concerned about closed practices, and I have raised that issue with TFC's PR folks, as well.

I've asked them to approach Aron about opening Thursday practices again.

That's totally understandable. If the interviews are conducted after practice, and don't disrupt the coaches tactical instructions, player workouts, etc., the main stream media should definitely have access to the players.

mmmikey
04-04-2011, 03:54 PM

2. "No comment"

Actually, he could be doing that already, regardless of where the interview takes place. The team could be really uncooperative about interviews even allowing the press into the locker room. So why be so concerned with what ifs. It could be alot worse.

drewski
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Then I apologize to De Vos as I had thought he had tweeted that. But then was told he didn't than told he did. :o

all I know is that its not in his twitter feed anymore (though it could have been deleted). though it'd be weird if they both used the same term

johnmolinaro
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
My last remarks on this...

1) Had Aron gathered together the reporters who cover the team during pre-season and told us this was his plan, I think it would have gone over a lot better.

We only found out about it in Vancouver after the game was over when we tried to go into the locker-room. And we didn't hear from Aron on this until the Chivas game when he sent us that letter.

To do it ad hoque like he did was, in my view, poor form.

2) From what I'm told, MLS is not happy about this. They don't like to have their power usurped by a coach. This could come back to bite TFC in the *ss sometime down the line (meaning the league doesnt give them the benefit of the doubt on a suspension ruling or something like that).

3) Scrap the locker-room rule for all 18 teams if TFC is going to get away with this. It's either the same for everybody, or it isn't. Reporters should not have to abide by a different set of rules depending on what team they are covering.

My final two cents.

John

Suds
04-04-2011, 04:05 PM

That last comment was completely uncalled for. There is no reason to take a personal swipe as someone who is only laying out their side of this story/debate. That is what is called "poor form".

rocker
04-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm still waiting for the day when those post-game interviews are actually interesting. haha.

Shakes McQueen
04-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I think it's a good move by the team, but I'll be interested to see how the league reacts.

As long as players are still made available to the media, I don't see what the problem is. These aren't politicians, who have a duty to allow a certain level of media access and transparency - these are athletes, playing for a privately owned team. If Winter wants to give the players a "safe place" where they can be free of the press, then I'm all for it.

- Scott

los sonadores
04-04-2011, 04:31 PM

The other issue is this.

I'd rather have better football played than have the players harassed by media just after getting off the pitch - they should be able to keep their mind on the game they've just played. Not on giving quotes and performing for the cameras. If a player wants to skip out early anyway and not talk to the media, they usually do. Normally only banalities are issued immediately post-game. And frankly the European media doesn't seem to have a problem writing stories with this format.

los sonadores
04-04-2011, 04:38 PM

1) Had Aron gathered together the reporters who cover the team during pre-season and told us this was his plan, I think it would have gone over a lot better.

We only found out about it in Vancouver after the game was over when we tried to go into the locker-room. And we didn't hear from Aron on this until the Chivas game when he sent us that letter.

2) From what I'm told, MLS is not happy about this. They don't like to have their power usurped by a coach. This could come back to bite TFC in the *ss sometime down the line (meaning the league doesnt give them the benefit of the doubt on a suspension ruling or something like that).

3) Scrap the locker-room rule for all 18 teams if TFC is going to get away with this. It's either the same for everybody, or it isn't. Reporters should not have to abide by a different set of rules depending on what team they are covering.

My final two cents.

John

True, it sounds like Winter was unprepared for the North American style and only just responded. Not surprising. IMO, the rule should be scrapped. I don't think this format has anytime to do with serious journalism - it's all part of the "entertainment/promotional aspect" of NA sports.... and hence I'd be shocked if anything was scrapped.

Blowing Bubbles
04-04-2011, 04:49 PM
MLS doesn't even follow their own rules. :D

That is a legitimate point. Wouldn't be a shocker if the league just lets it slide, they have a history of picking and choosing when to enforce things.

Damien
04-04-2011, 04:52 PM
It's funny that people argue that the locker room SHOULD be cut-off from media access.

THEN people argue that the club isn't transparent enough. :p

rocker
04-04-2011, 04:58 PM
John Molinaro just wants to see the boys all sweaty in their underwear :D

FreekAce
04-04-2011, 04:59 PM
which, of course, is perfectly fine ;)

rocker
04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
which, of course, is perfectly fine ;)

yup, just wish Molinaro would be honest about his intentions!!!! :D

werewolf
04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Unfair? Rules? Its not an Olympic event. Just a change of where the interviews take place. No gold medals being handed out.

Maybe it was communicated poorly, and it could lead to something else down the line, but its tangibly not that big a deal.

Tell the league Harold Ballard set a MLSE precedent decades ago and it should be "grandfathered" into the rulebook. MLS should have no problem with that sort of thing.

Damien
04-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Tell the league Harold Ballard set a MLSE precedent decades ago and it should be "grandfathered" into the rulebook. MLS should have no problem with that sort of thing.

Yeh, if the Galaxy can get away with grandfathering in Landon Donovan's contract among other things, then TFC should be able to get some leeway...

Alixir
04-04-2011, 05:18 PM
I wish the Leafs would do this.

ExiledRed
04-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Im not reading this whole thread, I read the first two pages though.

The use of the phrase 'dangerous precedent' had me in stitches.

It's the thin end of the wedge and then BAM its martial law and were living under communist rule hahahaha

Alixir
04-04-2011, 05:48 PM
I know, I'm just having fun with it. Besides, I'm pretty sure Ballard only banned reporters from the locker room.unless they were attractive women.

Shakes McQueen
04-04-2011, 06:00 PM
It's funny that people argue that the locker room SHOULD be cut-off from media access.

THEN people argue that the club isn't transparent enough. :p

Not really. I'm all for the club being more transparent with the supporters - they can stil serve that goal while giving the players a private inner sanctum, away from the prying eyes of the press and the fans.

- Scott

jazzy
04-04-2011, 06:33 PM

The other issue is this.

no...I understand and I think I would feel the same if someone threatened my ability to do my job...esp when they want/need media coverage, remember most of the media types here in Tor and all of N. America could easily be like Bob McCowan and crap on soccer daily....My initial reaction was to write the papers and say F##k MLSE, don't run any stories on soccer.....eventually do we have a situation where people get less interested each year to where we finally have 10000 fans / game...remember when Argos had blackouts... if you crap on the media watchout they don't bite back....this is MLSE's payback...straight and simple,...don't mess with us

Hustle
04-04-2011, 06:43 PM
I like this move. I think its a positive that gives the players a little time to collect their thoughts whilst they they wash their balls....I know thats when I do my best thinking !!

I think the media will get better answers, and god help us that maybe, they could use that extra 20 minutes to come up with some better questions..not everyone, but watching the postgame questions is just mind numbing sometimes.

Overall, it should result in more quality. Another 20 minutes wait should not affect transparency. if the questions you ask are posed intelligently, you'll can still get the answer you want.

InDa_110
04-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Interesting.

-The hometown "hero" walks out on the team.

-Management has been a mess almost since day one.

-6 coaches in 5 years.

-Ample evidence of locker room rifts and power struggles

I think not allowing the media in is a great decision. It gives the players the privacy of the locker room, where anything said in there stays in there amongst them as it should be, and if you want to speak publicly do it at the post game press conference, where everyone can hear you, instead of mumbling something in the corner of the room to some reporter who may spin your comments. It also gives Winter an element of control. "no one person is bigger than the team" he said. There's a new sherif in town who is weeding out the bullshit. Good move!

babone
04-04-2011, 09:12 PM
So what you wanted was your rubber stamp on the coaches call??? This is a joke and nothing more then a pathetic power grab. And now the media is trying to influence the supporters to go after TFC and Winter.

Now here we have the media playing the victim.

One word for ya "Twitter" if i wanna here what a player has to say that where I go!

ParadymeTFC
04-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I like this move. I think its a positive that gives the players a little time to collect their thoughts whilst they they wash their balls....I know thats when I do my best thinking !!

I think the media will get better answers, and god help us that maybe, they could use that extra 20 minutes to come up with some better questions..not everyone, but watching the postgame questions is just mind numbing sometimes.

Overall, it should result in more quality. Another 20 minutes wait should not affect transparency. if the questions you ask are posed intelligently, you'll can still get the answer you want.

This!

Sometimes I wonder if half the guys holding the mics are required to wear helmets on a daily basis.

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Good on Harper for limiting questions from the media to 5!

No wait...wrong thread. Or is it? :D

ExiledRed
04-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Now here we have the media playing the victim.

Sorry, I thought they were crusading for justice and truth and fighting oppression.

I mean, its fucking crucial that we get information such as:

"Well things didnt go our way today, they played hard in defence and we couldnt find a way through, but we need to keep moving forward and try and win the next game"

or

"It was a great game, we pushed hard and defended well, xxx got a great goal, they tried to get it back at the end there, but we held on"

If we cant get such info, immediately after the game, straight from the mouth of a sweat drenched player wearing a towel, then the players might actually have conversations in PRIVATE!

Is your Canadian sense of liberty offended yet?

TFCREDNWHITE
04-04-2011, 09:49 PM

My final two cents.

John

Fine scrap the rule then, giving you media access in the media room or gym is fine by me,
I dont understand why it HAS to be the locker room, just pick some other room

TFCRegina
04-04-2011, 10:05 PM

Don't get me going on this one Roogs'. We might find a thread of De Ro proportions.

Nomad
04-04-2011, 10:08 PM
"Story to follow......"

:D

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Fine scrap the rule then, giving you media access in the media room or gym is fine by me,
I dont understand why it HAS to be the locker room, just pick some other room

I don't think John or any other media care where the interviews are held. I don't think anyone really believes they will get better tidbits of info in the locker room that they won't get in the gym.

What we are talking about here is Winter flagrantly disregarding a league rule. Just because you don't agree with the rule you think it's ok that he intentionally chooses to violate it? That's ridiculous. If we all got to pick and choose what rules, laws and principles to follow then this world would be crazier than it already is.

John and other media simply want consistency and a level playing field that all reporters across the league are using. If they get locker room access, so should Toronto media. If the league wants to do away with the rule and let clubs decide for themselves, I don't think they'd like it, but I doubt they'd be as insistent that the locker room be opened.

Yohan
04-04-2011, 10:18 PM
I wonder if Winter was aware of the league directive concerning media access to locker rooms before he came up with his thing

Shakes McQueen
04-04-2011, 10:33 PM

I think politicians should be held to high standards of transparency and accountability, because they work for us, and in our name. They are public employees.

I don't think that standard applies to what are essentially private contractors, working for a private owner. And if the team are still going to be meeting their press obligations (just in a different venue), then aside from the MLS rule being breached (for which I don't know the specifics), I don't see a problem.

And I would fully support other teams tacking the same tack with the press. Players need to have a private place to change and converse with their teammates.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
04-04-2011, 10:34 PM
I wonder if Winter was aware of the league directive concerning media access to locker rooms before he came up with his thing

Im guessing he was, and is just confident that the league won't do much about it - maybe the team gets a small fine.

- Scott

ilikemusic
04-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Personally, I dont care. This team is in desperate need of transparency, but evidently the FO doesnt see it that way. Regardless, I have always thought locker-room interviews were fairly strange, often meaningless encounters, so this decision, in and of itself, doesnt really bother me.

That said, I think Winter is completely up his own ass. When I think of things that need to be changed with this club, locker room media access is not something that immediately springs to mind.

Frankly, this just seems like more pointless crap from a rudderless organization. This, "will the league allow it, wont they allow it" thing is eerily reminiscent of MoJo and Carver's weird, coach in the press box, experiment.

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Personally, I dont care. This team is in desperate need of transparency, but evidently the FO doesnt see it that way. Regardless, I have always thought locker-room interviews were fairly strange, often meaningless encounters, so this decision, in and of itself, doesnt really bother me.

That said, I think Winter is completely up his own ass. When I think of things that need to be changed with this club, locker room media access is not something that immediately springs to mind.

Frankly, this just seems like more pointless crap from a rudderless organization. This, "will the league allow it, wont they allow it" thing is eerily reminiscent of MoJo and Carver's weird, coach in the press box, experiment.

This...

Shakes McQueen
04-04-2011, 11:00 PM

I certainly don't think it was top of the list, but unlike the things that are at the top of the list, this could essentially be changed with the snap of his fingers (assuming the league doesn't go to war over it).

If one of his goals is to change the mindset and attitude of our team, perhaps instituting a more European-style of press access is just another small part of the plan.

- Scott

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 11:08 PM
How about European level talent then? No?

Then let's just accept that we live in NORTH AMERICA.

boban
04-04-2011, 11:22 PM
You got something against Europe Roogsy?

Shakes McQueen
04-04-2011, 11:23 PM
How about European level talent then? No?

Then let's just accept that we live in NORTH AMERICA.

I don't follow your point here. "European level talent" is a broad phrase that can apply to everything from the top tier leagues downward.

His experience is in Europe. Perhaps he thinks this change will be positive for the attitude in the locker room, if guys aren't being hounded by the press immediately after games, based on his experiences over there.

I don't think this small change is going to usher in a new dawn for the team, or something - but I do think it's a good decision, so long as the players remain accessible to the media through other means.

- Scott

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 11:27 PM
You got something against Europe Roogsy?

Nope...I just think it's ridiculous to apply European practices and standards in CANADA.

Like somehow lockerroom access is what was wrong with this team. :rolleyes:

boban
04-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Nope...I just think it's ridiculous to apply European practices and standards in CANADA.

Like somehow lockerroom access is what was wrong with this team. :rolleyes:
You mean like German auto making standards wouldn't work here and so on?

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 11:54 PM
You mean like German auto making standards wouldn't work here and so on?

Yup. We have our own standards, and if we were smart, we would make them as good or better than Germany.

Or maybe we should adopt the German legislative structure. And the German Bill of Rights. And the German...and so on...

I don't understand why Canada constantly has penis envy for everyone else.

Alonso
04-05-2011, 01:03 AM
Roogsy,

You're posting out of bitterness now man. Maybe you should step away for a bit and gather the perspective that you yourself have admitted to lacking lately.

Read your posts man, their filled with vitriol.

CretanBull
04-05-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm surprised that there isn't more understanding for the media's point of view expressed by J-Mo.

Of course we can all related to the concept of the players/team having a private area that's a sanctum of sorts but given this club's history with dishonesty, manipulation, secrecy etc. I'm SHOCKED that people are willing to accept the team's word at face value that they will make all of the players available for comment especially when - as John pointed out - on the eve of the biggest trade in team history the team shut of access that was historically available to them.

They're literally taking away access at the very same time that they're promising that new guidlines won't limit access.

How can anyone believe a word that comes out of their mouths? How can anyone trust that they will indeed make everyone available when one of their most recent actions was to make no one available on the cusp of a major story breaking?

CretanBull
04-05-2011, 01:47 AM

And I agree with him :eek:

Not sure what that says about me :D

TFCRegina
04-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Roogsy,

You're posting out of bitterness now man. Maybe you should step away for a bit and gather the perspective that you yourself have admitted to lacking lately.

Do you blame him?

As I've written before:

We've written off a season already. It's chalked up to a "rebuilding year."

I don't really buy that line myself. You put out the best team you possibly can in any given year. That's what regular winners do. You play the game to win championships, not to consolidate the squad (which really means nothing at this point, we have so much turnover that there's been zero consolidation in the squad ever).

I'll keep watching on TV, so long as I don't have to pay a dime. I won't go to a home match. I won't buy Merch. It's as simple as that. Hit MLSE where it hurts the most.

I don't understand the attitude that so many TFC supporters have. I thought last year Preki was working wonders until the wheels fell off the bus and he lost the locker room. I wanted playoffs that year and I didn't accept not making them.

We should have made playoffs in 2009, were it not for a Nick Garcia own goal and a meltdown in New York. I expected playoffs then.

I demand playoffs in 2011 as well. And I'm getting sick of this same old rebuilding line. Stop feeding us bullshit. TFC's definition of rebuilding is to smash the old one to the ground, take out the foundation and then try to build in a marsh next to the old building.

There is no consistency, no consolidation, no attempt to improve the squad marginally. Instead of looking at what worked and what didn't, we rip out those who performed alongside those who didn't, because if the team didn't qualify, then the entire team must be shit right?

That's how this team is run. 100+ players in 4 years, going on 5 years.

It's disgraceful and it's not how you make the marginal improvements to a squad to take them to the playoffs/championship from being one or two spots outside of playoffs.

In trading De Ro, we wrote off another season and reduced our institutional knowledge in favour of more new players. It's another year of new squad members, and another year of getting rid of the good instead of finding players to play alongside them.

CretanBull
04-05-2011, 02:30 AM
As I've said - if they continue to allow the press to have access in another setting, I'm fine with this decision. If they don't, that's a different matter.

I agree with you, but that's a BIG if from a club that not only hasn't earned trust, but has done everything to destroy it.

And if indeed it was Winter that made this decision, I don't think the organization's history really enters into the equation for me.

Winter deserves a fresh start and a clean slate, but he's not off to a good start. He closed the media out on the eve of the DeRo trade to prevent the story from breaking, followed that up by annoucing that the media would be blocked from the dressing room and balanced that with a promise of access...the very same access that he blocked just days before.

Ultimately, we don't know if these are Winter's decisions, but clearly he's willing to go along with them.

boban
04-05-2011, 05:31 AM
Yup. We have our own standards, and if we were smart, we would make them as good or better than Germany.

Or maybe we should adopt the German legislative structure. And the German Bill of Rights. And the German...and so on...

I don't understand why Canada constantly has penis envy for everyone else.
Nah .. We got the British (Europe) legislative structure. Our country has many European standards / practices. Our history is very much tied in with Europe so I fail to understand you point.
And we tried doing it better than the Germans , they just do it better. ;)

Shakes McQueen
04-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Nah .. We got the British (Europe) legislative structure. Our country has many European standards / practices. Our history is very much tied in with Europe so I fail to understand you point.
And we tried doing it better than the Germans , they just do it better. ;)

Kudos for picking up on this, haha!

We might not have a German legislative structure, but our system is firmly rooted in English common law. Our parliamentary political system is also inescapably European.

- Scott

denime
04-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Just because you don't agree with the rule you think it's ok that he intentionally chooses to violate it?

If Harper can do it why not Winter?

oh sorry wrong thread :hump:

sashavukelich
04-05-2011, 08:33 AM

The other issue is this.

Respectfully John, i think that the media in the Western World have far too many rights and are already plenty intrusive when it comes to people's lives, particularly athletes.

If you want what is good for this team, then i think you'd be pleased for this rule and you can still cover your story in the Gym.

If on the other hand you just want the most 'shocking' story of a player 'exploding' by all means continue to violate all reason and human privacy/dignity the the press currently does.

P.s you guys ask the same boring questions every flipping interview and it seems you do 'daily' updates.

menefreghista
04-05-2011, 08:39 AM
On the one hand people complain that they media coverage for TFC sucks. That the MSM in Canada and Toronto doesn't cover the sport enough or doesn't do enough stories with meat.

But than the club makes it harder for the media to do their job and everyone is ok with it because it came from our Dutch savior.

I still don't understand why this decision was made. What happened that led to this?

Or is Winter so paranoid of the media that he is trying to shield his team from it before anything actually happens?

Ossington Mental Youth
04-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Could be that he didn't know how intrusive interviews were really going to be and once he found out he installed the rule

menefreghista
04-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Could be that he didn't know how intrusive interviews were really going to be and once he found out he installed the rule

Again, just sounds like fans want Winter to succeed so badly that we will make any excuse for his decisions.

ManUtd4ever
04-05-2011, 08:55 AM
I don't think Winter realized that he would be walking into a situation that was mired in controversy and incessant negativity. I don't blame him at all for trying to change the culture and the atmosphere surrounding the club, especially in the wake of the DeRo trade. I don't understand why he should be villified for trying to protect his players from unnecessary media scrutiny.

Besides, he's not restricting access to the players, just the locker room. If MLS has an issue with his decision, the league office will deal with it.

Beach_Red
04-05-2011, 09:06 AM
I don't think Winter realized that he would be walking into a situation that was mired in controversy and incessant negativity. I don't blame him at all for trying to change the culture and the atmosphere surrounding the club, especially in the wake of the DeRo trade. I don't understand why he should be villified for trying to protect his players from unnecessary media scrutiny.

Besides, he's not restricting access to the players, just the locker room. If MLS has an issue with his decision, the league office will deal with it.

Certainly Mariner knew. And knew the league rules about media. Anyway, it's good to see Winter running things. Has the league said anything? Or are they going to allow this for every other team now, too?

MisterMacphisto
04-05-2011, 09:11 AM

The other issue is this.

And I'm filing a letter to the league that I fully support Winter's move.

You and any one who filed a complaint are clearly more worried about getting your little scoops then your concerned for the success of TFC and this franchise. You just want locker access to we can get another one of your Tweet's "Big story... more to come" which usually materializes into nothing.

Winter has said you'll get player access. You'll get player access.

babone
04-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Sorry, I thought they were crusading for justice and truth and fighting oppression.

I mean, its fucking crucial that we get information such as:

"Well things didnt go our way today, they played hard in defence and we couldnt find a way through, but we need to keep moving forward and try and win the next game"

or

"It was a great game, we pushed hard and defended well, xxx got a great goal, they tried to get it back at the end there, but we held on"

If we cant get such info, immediately after the game, straight from the mouth of a sweat drenched player wearing a towel, then the players might actually have conversations in PRIVATE!

Is your Canadian sense of liberty offended yet?

I'm gonna print this and post it on my desk! Fricken priceless!

Lucky Strike
04-05-2011, 09:19 AM

The other issue is this.

An interesting point of view to be sure. But, using your example of Nana blowing up on the bench or something, couldn't he simply say "no comment" or "I don't wish to discuss this right now". I mean, no journalist can twist his arm and actually make him talk. In that light, wouldn't that the same as having the player skip out altogether? Or does even the fact that you have the quote of "no comment" or "I don't wish to discuss this right now" important to show that at least you did your job to try and talk to him?

Another thought I'm having is that, while Winter's new policy does allow a getaway opportunity (for lack of a better term), might it not be a more composed approach to wait until a player actually skips out on media time to issue a complaint? Or is there a lack of trust in Winter (or not giving the benefit of the doubt) because of TFC's past?

Lucky Strike
04-05-2011, 09:24 AM

John

This is another with which I would have to disagree: just because something used to be done one way, is not sufficient a reason to argue against change.

But it does give insight that perhaps the media aren't entirely trustful of TFC?

Ossington Mental Youth
04-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Again, just sounds like fans want Winter to succeed so badly that we will make any excuse for his decisions.

jesus man, im guessing and you sound so certain that MLSE and whoever happens to be at the helm is sure to fail, it doesnt get tiring for you does it?

MisterMacphisto
04-05-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't think John or any other media care where the interviews are held. I don't think anyone really believes they will get better tidbits of info in the locker room that they won't get in the gym.

What we are talking about here is Winter flagrantly disregarding a league rule. Just because you don't agree with the rule you think it's ok that he intentionally chooses to violate it? That's ridiculous. If we all got to pick and choose what rules, laws and principles to follow then this world would be crazier than it already is.

John and other media simply want consistency and a level playing field that all reporters across the league are using. If they get locker room access, so should Toronto media. If the league wants to do away with the rule and let clubs decide for themselves, I don't think they'd like it, but I doubt they'd be as insistent that the locker room be opened.

Comedy gold. :D

I know you're mad Winter called out your boy DeRo, but come on. :rolleyes: Flagrantly disregarding a league rule? Keeping media out of the locker room part akin to keeping order in our social fabric? Oh the humanity... All those TFC fans who threw streamers on the pitch, flagrantly violating league rules, causing the world to be a crazier place!

This has absolutely nothing to do with Winter flagrantly disregarding a league rule. :facepalm:

It has everything to do with wanting to create a safe environment for the players post came. His intentions and motivations in the betterment of this team. Period.

It has nothing to do with hiding players. Winter has point blank said Media will get access to players and he will mandate players to talk to media.

denime
04-05-2011, 09:46 AM
BTW,What is the MLS rule about media?Does anyone know,can someone post the link or quote?

If this was against MLS media access rule,I'm sure Mariner would said something before they implemented this measure.

MLS is well know about bending the rules as they see fit,I was told last week by someone very close to MLS office that MLSE is stupid of not taking advantage of MLS like LA, NY RB.

menefreghista
04-05-2011, 09:50 AM
It has everything to do with wanting to create a safe environment for the players post came. His intentions and motivations in the betterment of this team. Period.

Are TFC players so fragile that this was even necessary?

jesus man, im guessing and you sound so certain that MLSE and whoever happens to be at the helm is sure to fail, it doesnt get tiring for you does it?

I would love nothing more than to see this team succeed.

I just wonder if that can happen with the idiots at MLSE still in charge. But really that's a separate issue.

I just don't understand this move by Winter. Seems like he's trying to make a war when he didn't really need to.

denime
04-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Are you so paranoid that you see conspiracy behind every decision from TFC Coach?

What makes you think you are entitled any info from TFC change room?

Ossington Mental Youth
04-05-2011, 09:57 AM

I just don't understand this move by Winter. Seems like he's trying to make a war when he didn't really need to.

the timing was definitely poor, and its not a matter of the players being fragile, its a matter of giving them some time to themselves after a game (which can go good or bad btw) to reflect on the game, themselves etc. With a mic in your face youre not likely to do that. i dont understand the backlash, MLS says they got 10 mins, if he expects to use that 10 minutes hes well within his right. Having played at low levels i still understand and respect the mentality behind this move.

johnmolinaro
04-05-2011, 09:58 AM
BTW,What is the MLS rule about media?Does anyone know,can someone post the link or quote?

If this was against MLS media access rule,I'm sure Mariner would said something before they implemented this measure.

MLS is well know about bending the rules as they see fit,I was told last week by someone very close to MLS office that MLSE is stupid of not taking advantage of MLS like LA, NY RB.

The MLS rule is that they must open the locker-room to the media no more than 15 minutes after the game.

Punishment for breaking the rule is a fine, but I'm not sure how much it is, and if it's the coach or team who pays it.

John

johnmolinaro
04-05-2011, 10:00 AM
You and any one who filed a complaint are clearly more worried about getting your little scoops then your concerned for the success of TFC and this franchise. You just want locker access to we can get another one of your Tweet's "Big story... more to come" which usually materializes into nothing.

Respectfully, you clearly haven't read any of my stuff over the past four years if you think I'm worried about "little scoops" or blowing minor matters into big stories.

I think the majority of people here know my reputation, and that I don't peddle rumours or gossip, but instead cover the team in a serious way.

John

johnmolinaro
04-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Or does even the fact that you have the quote of "no comment" or "I don't wish to discuss this right now" important to show that at least you did your job to try and talk to him?

Another thought I'm having is that, while Winter's new policy does allow a getaway opportunity (for lack of a better term), might it not be a more composed approach to wait until a player actually skips out on media time to issue a complaint? Or is there a lack of trust in Winter (or not giving the benefit of the doubt) because of TFC's past?

1) you hit the nail right on the head.

2) again, you hit the nail on the head.

John

TFC OZZ
04-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Respectfully, you clearly haven't read any of my stuff over the past four years if you think I'm worried about "little scoops" or blowing minor matters into big stories.

I think the majority of people here know my reputation, and that I don't peddle rumours or gossip, but instead cover the team in a serious way.

John

And some of us do appreciate it!

Whoop
04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
I don't see it that way. (players being fragile or creating a war)

He's trying to foster an "us vs. them" mentality, not in a negative fashion in that it's "us vs. the media" but we have to stick together as a team. The whole adage that what happens in the locker room, stays in the locker room.

I don't care if Stevanovic had it out with Maicon after the match for not passing the ball. Or if some guy breaks down in tears after costing his team a championship. The locker room is the place where you do that stuff away from prying eyes.

If any coach had their way, the locker room would always be off limits. It's more of a NA pro sports mentality that you need to get into the locker room right after a match. I know in junior hockey, for the most part, the players meet with the reporters outside the dressing room. The reporter will come down and say I want to speak with player x, y, z and said player comes out after he's done getting dressed. If it's a coach, the reporter might go into the coach's office if the coach doesn't come outside.

Fans want that glimpse of what a locker room is like and they love those shots following a championship where the reporter gets drenched in champagne.

I've been on the side of the team being transparent, but not when it comes to post game locker room interviews. Like I've said, the big stories don't happen on game days.

People are acting like this is the first time something like this has happened in the history of sports. And making this a way bigger story than it is, but that's natural for this board. LOL

johnmolinaro
04-05-2011, 10:10 AM
The other thing I would like to address is the validity of post-match interviews with players, whether they take place in the gym or in the locker-room.

Often, it's like separating the wheat from the shaff. When a player gives me a quote that isn't insightful, I don't use it.

BUT a lot of times (more times than you think) you do get real insight from the players - Nana had some interesting quotes in a Globe and Mail article after the Chivas game, and that interview took place after the game in the gym.

After the cheque-signing thing, Dero explained his motivations to me in a post-match locker-room interview, so again, that was worthwhile.

So my point is, that you shouldn't entirely write off the value of post-match interviews (wherever they take place) because they are not ALWAYS a waste of time.

John

denime
04-05-2011, 10:10 AM
The MLS rule is that they must open the locker-room to the media no more than 15 minutes after the game.

Punishment for breaking the rule is a fine, but I'm not sure how much it is, and if it's the coach or team who pays it.

John

So they can open locker-room 15 minutes after the game and all of them walk out to the gym,and still be within the rules,no?

There is no rule players have to be in locker room after 15 minutes,only that media must have accesses to locker room,with or without the players.

So now you have to options,go to gym and interview the players or go to locker room and have chitchat with empty lockers and custodian.

As long Winter gives you access to the players within 15 minutes,media guys can complain as much as they want,MLS will not do anything.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-05-2011, 10:12 AM
pretty much

Beach_Red
04-05-2011, 10:14 AM
If any coach had their way, the locker room would always be off limits. It's more of a NA pro sports mentality that you need to get into the locker room right after a match.

People are acting like this is the first time something like this has happened in the history of sports. And making this a way bigger story than it is, but that's natural for this board. LOL

Yes, in NA it's the product of so many sports competing to be the top of the broadcast, it gives the media the ability to make more and more demands.

But what the board is making a big deal out of is that in year 5 the team sounds like it doesn't know the league's rules. Of course, it will only really become a big deal depending on how the league and the team react. If the league says, yeah okay this is fine all the teams can do it, this will go away. If the league says, no, you have to follow the rule then we'll all wait to see if the team backs Winter and fights it or not.

Whoop
04-05-2011, 10:17 AM
The other thing I would like to address is the validity of post-match interviews with players, whether they take place in the gym or in the locker-room.

Often, it's like separating the wheat from the shaff. When a player gives me a quote that isn't insightful, I don't use it.

BUT a lot of times (more times than you think) you do get real insight from the players - Nana had some interesting quotes in a Globe and Mail article after the Chivas game, and that interview took place after the game in the gym.

After the cheque-signing thing, Dero explained his motivations to me in a post-match locker-room interview, so again, that was worthwhile.

So my point is, that you shouldn't entirely write off the value of post-match interviews (wherever they take place) because they are not ALWAYS a waste of time.

John

John, while you might get some insightful quotes or tidbits in a post game interview, wouldn't you say that the most important or relevant stories are usually broken either at a practice or on a non-game day?

It sounds like some guys are upset that they couldn't break the DeRo trade story first because practice was closed on Thursday and Friday.

The only post game stories of real consequence in the history of TFC that I've wanted to hear were after the 5-0 trashing in NY where it seems like a number of guys bailed on the media (or the media didn't track them down) and after the DeRo cheque writing incident, just to know what that was all about.

Whoop
04-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Yes, in NA it's the product of so many sports competing to be the top of the broadcast, it gives the media the ability to make more and more demands.

But what the board is making a big deal out of is that in year 5 the team sounds like it doesn't know the league's rules. Of course, it will only really become a big deal depending on how the league and the team react. If the league says, yeah okay this is fine all the teams can do it, this will go away. If the league says, no, you have to follow the rule then we'll all wait to see if the team backs Winter and fights it or not.

Or pay the fine each time.

I wonder how much the fine is?

Menelaos
04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
And I'm filing a letter to the league that I fully support Winter's move.

I'll sign that with you.

I love how the media types thing they are entitled to things. Their god given right...

Coach thinks its best for you to stay out...so here is an idea...stay out.
Stop bitching because regular Joe-fan is not going to side with you.

Beach_Red
04-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Or pay the fine each time.

I wonder how much the fine is?

It would be pretty funny if the league allowed the team to pay a fine after each game and the team paid it. After a while they'd start calling it the "closed dressing room fee," or something.

So, has the league said anyting about this yet? Are they just going to wait until after the next game when TFC does this and decide then?

Whoop
04-05-2011, 10:23 AM
For a little bit of perspective.

I was once with a team where the local beat reporter was banned from the locker room completely. Banned from talking to the team he was covering.

So every story that appeared in the paper on the day of the game, the preview article, and the post game article was always in the visiting teams perspective. LOL

This went on for about 5 months before an amicable agreement was reached.

Whoop
04-05-2011, 10:24 AM
It would be pretty funny if the league allowed the team to pay a fine after each game and the team paid it. After a while they'd start calling it the "closed dressing room fee," or something.

So, has the league said anyting about this yet? Are they just going to wait until after the next game when TFC does this and decide then?

The league is busy trying to kowtow to NYRB, the LA Galaxy of the East.

johnmolinaro
04-05-2011, 10:25 AM
John, while you might get some insightful quotes or tidbits in a post game interview, wouldn't you say that the most important or relevant stories are usually broken either at a practice or on a non-game day?

Absolutely. No argument from me.

All I am saying is that the post-match interviews (wherever they take place) aren't always about players giving cliched quotes. Often, they provide you with genuine insight.

John

CoachGT
04-05-2011, 10:31 AM

I was once with a team where the local beat reporter was banned from the locker room completely. Banned from talking to the team he was covering.

So every story that appeared in the paper on the day of the game, the preview article, and the post game article was always in the visiting teams perspective. LOL

I saw the same thing at a team I was with. A local guy took potshots the whole time against a local team. Ended up with a good chunk of the sports section being removed from the paper for a couple of years.

John, I hope this comes to a good resolution for you. I look forward to your articles and recognize their value, and even though I agree with Winter's position on this, I respect where you are coming from as well.

Roogsy
04-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Comedy gold. :D

I know you're mad Winter called out your boy DeRo, but come on. :rolleyes: Flagrantly disregarding a league rule? Keeping media out of the locker room part akin to keeping order in our social fabric? Oh the humanity... All those TFC fans who threw streamers on the pitch, flagrantly violating league rules, causing the world to be a crazier place!

This has absolutely nothing to do with Winter flagrantly disregarding a league rule. :facepalm:

It has nothing to do with hiding players. Winter has point blank said Media will get access to players and he will mandate players to talk to media.

It posts likes this that has ultimately made me tired of this board. No logic. No addressing the points I actually made instead replacing them with strawman arguments. How do you argue against such fallacy?

CoachGT
04-05-2011, 10:33 AM
It posts likes this that has ultimately made me tired of this board. No logic. No addressing the points I actually made instead replacing them with strawman arguments. How do you argue against such fallacy?

You don't. That's what the "ignore" feature is for.

denime
04-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Absolutely. No argument from me.

All I am saying is that the post-match interviews (wherever they take place) aren't always about players giving cliched quotes. Often, they provide you with genuine insight.

John

And I hope so you will keep doing the post-match interviews.

Last thing I want is to have Cathal and Wheelers articles only in our Today's news. ;)

Menelaos
04-05-2011, 10:37 AM
And I hope so you will keep doing the post-match interviews.

Last thing I want is to have Cathal and Wheelers articles only in our Today's news. ;)

HA HA!

Ok, I'll have to re-think my position given that might be a possibility!!

tfcleeds
04-05-2011, 10:37 AM

Either this, or the Marty York school of journalism, I guess...;)

johnmolinaro
04-05-2011, 10:38 AM
John, I hope this comes to a good resolution for you. I look forward to your articles and recognize their value, and even though I agree with Winter's position on this, I respect where you are coming from as well.

I still oppose it as a matter of principle but yes, I can live with this arrangement - but once a player isn't made available, then I will take issue with it.

And thank you for understanding my motivation in posting here on this matter.

All I wanted to do was to give my side so people could at least see where I wad coming from and not, as it's been suggested, to paint a picture of "the media vs. Winter" or to win the support of people on this board.

Again, if you or others still don't agree with me, I fully respect that.

Beach_Red
04-05-2011, 10:41 AM
I still oppose it as a matter of principle but yes, I can live with this arrangement - but once a player isn't made available, then I will take issue with it.

And thank you. All I wanted to do was to give my side so people could see where I am coming from. But if you still don't agree with me, I fully respect that.

So, has anyone asked the league for a reaction?

johnmolinaro
04-05-2011, 10:43 AM
So, has anyone asked the league for a reaction?

I have. They're not happy about it, but I don't expect things to change.

Whoop
04-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I also wouldn't be surprised if this is a tactic by Winter to deflect media attention away from the team and the players by having people focus more on him and take it on his shoulders.

DeRo's trade is the big story and I'm sure this whole week will be spent with the media guys asking what's life without DeRo like?

But now, in the media's eyes, this change to post-game interviews is the bigger story. So Winter has bought some breathing room for his players, even if it is temporary or until the next home match, which if the league were to fine the team would happen after the next home match.

pekduck
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM

John

Although I don't agree with John's perspective and actions taken regarding the matter of gym only access to all players, but I'll defend that John's article are well written with due diligence and a pleasure to read.

Can't say the same for some other self proclaimed journalists from the Sun and the Star. :D

Whoop
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Also, someone mentioned the lack of media coverage in relation to TFC.

I would argue that no other MLS team has as much coverage as TFC.

I mean there are four papers (Toronto Sun, Toronto Star, Globe and National Post) that cover the team. Three TV outlets (Rogers Sportsnet, TSN, and CBC). Not to mention the number of bloggers out there.

What other team has this much coverage in the MLS?

I could see any post-game interview area being pretty crowded.

johnmolinaro
04-05-2011, 10:51 AM
But now, in the media's eyes, this change to post-game interviews is the bigger story than Dero.

Oh, I would disagree. The locker-room isn't even a story (nobody has written about it, as far as I know). I can assure you, Dero and Winter's rebuilding process is the bigger and ONLY story right now.

ComedyOfErrors
04-05-2011, 10:51 AM
The Bigger Question...

As 'controversial' as closing the locker room to media is (see the last 9 pages of heated discussion), I feel the larger underlying issue is that Winter is trying to create a true team. The bigger question is, how do you create team spirit? Is it possible in pro sports? Is it possible in the MLSE culture and given the tumultuous history of TFC? In my opinion, Winter is attempting to change the culture of this team on many levels. The change to media access is just one step, albeit not always popular with everyone, but perhaps it is the right direction for a previously dysfunctional group.