PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Apr.04.

denime
04-04-2011, 05:21 AM
Mornin'

No TFC News for now,please post here if you find some.

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

boban
04-04-2011, 05:34 AM
jutro

keem-o-sabi
04-04-2011, 06:35 AM
coed girls 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2011/04/01/vida-guerra-a-tribute-to-the-worlds-most-beautiful-backside-100-photos/)and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2011/04/04/16-photos-claire-sinclair-is-the-2011-playboy-playmate-of-the-year/)

Technorgasm
04-04-2011, 06:41 AM
:::THIS JUST IN:::

Fuck off Quakes! Fuck off Dawkins! Fuck off Corrales!

that is all.

NORB.

zamperina
04-04-2011, 06:55 AM
FAN 590 is reporting that Winter is declaring a closed locker room to the media after games...Players would be available for interviews at a designated time after games.

Pookie
04-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Ben Rycroft posted this raw audio of DeRosario's first media scrum in which he contradicts his statements in Wheeler's Sun article.

Question: Did you ask for a trade?
Answer: At first no but...

Also towards the end it suggests that DeRo's agent was the one who contacted New York first.

Anyways, I'm pretty tired of all of this but given the legs Wheeler's article had yesterday a direct audio transcript that counters it is worth sharing.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1463-Audio-clip-DeRo-on-the-trade

Cashcleaner
04-04-2011, 07:14 AM
FAN 590 is reporting that Winter is declaring a closed locker room to the media after games...Players would be available for interviews at a designated time after games.

Heard it as well on the drive back from work. Big time no-no according to the league. Normally, I wouldn't really have an issue with this - dressing rooms are off-limits to reporters in most soccer leagues around the world, but we're a pretty secretive team as it is in most respects and I think if anything, we need more transparency from our players, coaches, and staff.

Wull
04-04-2011, 07:44 AM
I'm all for the ban, access has already been agreed upon to the players after the game elsewhere within 15 minutes, location shouldn't matter to the journalists though it should to the team

FreekAce
04-04-2011, 08:17 AM
think its only normal to not have the press in the locker room right after the match. coach needs to do his thing, players need to be able to decompress and let them take a shower ffs. this is a typical north american thing in sports but good on winter for putting his foot down on what goes on in his locker room.

drewski
04-04-2011, 08:18 AM
from Molinaro, Sharman and others tweets, it sounds like the players will still be made available, just not in the locker room (think they said in the gym).

and as long as winter is willing to take any heat from the league (which the org has probably made him aware of give the Carver experience), I'm okay with it.

FreekAce
04-04-2011, 08:31 AM
i just dont see why the press needs to be in there right after the game to begin with. is there any benefit to it? i dont know of any. if it is a rule in MLS then its completely moronic.

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Don't care about access right after the match. I'm either at the stadium ar the pub. As long as they talk about it at some point.

menefreghista
04-04-2011, 08:36 AM
i just dont see why the press needs to be in there right after the game to begin with. is there any benefit to it? i dont know of any. if it is a rule in MLS then its completely moronic.

The only benefit is for lazy media guys that want to add a few quotes to their post-game stories.

zeelaw
04-04-2011, 08:43 AM
MLS rumours posted a picture of the note stating all that

jabbronies
04-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Access to players after the game is important IMO. get the players take on the game while it's still fresh. But it should be after the team has met with the manager and they debrief about what just transpired.

Also - Locker room access to the media is dumb IMO. That area should be a players safe haven.

LucaGol
04-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Can this team just be without drama for like 2 days?

Very tiring.

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 08:55 AM
think its only normal to not have the press in the locker room right after the match. coach needs to do his thing, players need to be able to decompress and let them take a shower ffs. this is a typical north american thing in sports but good on winter for putting his foot down on what goes on in his locker room.

Good on Winter for doing something against the rules of the league?

I don't disagree with the rationale behind why someone would want to do this, but the question is can he and should he considering he isn't allowed to?

Should he be allowed to pick and choose what rules to follow? Man the standards of the people on this board are pretty inconsistent.

jabbronies
04-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Didn't Carver try something like this?

ryan
04-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Good on Winter for doing something against the rules of the league?

I don't disagree with the rationale behind why someone would want to do this, but the question is can he and should he considering he isn't allowed to?

Should he be allowed to pick and choose what rules to follow? Man the standards of the people on this board are pretty inconsistent.

Anyone have the specific wording on everything? Does it SPECFICALLY have to be the locker room? Does the Gym count as "technically" part of the locker room?

Another thing, too many people in this world tend to confuse "rules" with "being right". Having a spot for the team and team alone is obviously important and desired by the team. They believe this "rule" to be wrong and are taking a stand, is there anything wrong with standing up for what you believe is "right" ? No.

I'm sure MLSE can afford whatever fines come our way and would put a stop to this if they have a problem. Doesn't appear that way yet. In the end, the media appears to be getting full access to the players in the gym, so what's the difference anyways? Everyone is seemingly getting what they want.

Mr. Bigby
04-04-2011, 09:33 AM
If you've noticed, over the past two weeks the player post game interviews have been from the gym - usually as they have been on stationary bikes doing a post game cool down or something. As long as the media get their access, does it really matter where the interview takes place?

greatwhitenorf
04-04-2011, 09:38 AM
With so many devices capable of taking pictures or video nowadays, things have changed regarding the appropriate time and place for player access.

MLSE, of course, have long laughed past league rules by letting the Leafs media immediately cluster into an empty dressing room full of sweaty, stinky gear at the ACC.

Meanwhile, the players loaf and lounge in their 'Back 40' behind closed doors, getting groomed and primed for interviews and eventually one or two appear in good time to mumble sweet, cliched nothings. The rest all leave by the back doors.

Wooster_TFC
04-04-2011, 09:41 AM
From here: http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1462-Locker-room-access-and-MLS-awkward-integration-in-North-American-sports-culture

"According to the letter of the law, section 6.11.1 of the 2011 MLS Operations Manual dictates that “…the Team dressing rooms must be opened to the media no later than 10 minutes after a game,” and “any violations of these rules may result in fines” (via SBNation (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011/4/2/2087756/text-of-major-league-soccers-official-post-game-interview-policy)). So there’s no debate as to who’s in the right here as far as the rules are concerned."

Pookie
04-04-2011, 09:47 AM
"may result" is the key phrase.

I think the interpretation is there that the goal of the "law" is to allow the media to access the players in a timely fashion. As long as Winter does that, be it the "dressing room" or the "media room", I fail to see this being an issue.

Carts
04-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Can this team just be without drama for like 2 days?

Very tiring.

Unfortunately, no... :(

I used to say "...there's two things certain in life, death and taxes..."

Now I think that should read "...there's three things certain in like, death, taxes, and people bitching online about TFC..."

Sadly, people will always bitch about something...

Carts...

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 09:51 AM
They believe this "rule" to be wrong and are taking a stand, is there anything wrong with standing up for what you believe is "right" ? No.

Don't get me started on this point. I get the feeling people's position on this will be oddly hypocritical.

Darlofletch
04-04-2011, 09:51 AM
yeah, I don't really see what the big deal is about whether it takes place in the locker room or the gym.

having said that, winter can't just go along making up his own rules. there's got to be a lot of things about mls that would annoy any coach, is this one really worth taking a stand about?

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 09:52 AM
"may result" is the key phrase.

I think the interpretation is there that the goal of the "law" is to allow the media to access the players in a timely fashion. As long as Winter does that, be it the "dressing room" or the "media room", I fail to see this being an issue.

I am beginning to question your comprehension Pookie. The "may result" part of the rule only applies to fines, not to the actual rule of locker room access. Strictly speaking, there is no room for deviation here only with regards to the punishment.

ryan
04-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Would you rather people be bitching about TFC? Or not talking about them at all?

the opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy. Could be worse IMO.

Pookie
04-04-2011, 09:56 AM
I am beginning to question your comprehension Pookie. The "may result" part of the rule only applies to fines, not to the actual rule of locker room access. Strictly speaking, there is no room for deviation here only with regards to the punishment.

Holy moly. If there is no punishment or "room for deviation", how exactly would this rule be enforced?

Is Garber going to send in some hired goons to pry open the dressing room at the 10:00 minute mark?

They are simply saying that they expect the players to be available in a timely manner and teams that violate that could face a fine. If TFC makes players available in the spirit of that rule, there is no issue.

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Holy moly. If there is no punishment or "room for deviation", how exactly would this rule be enforced?

Is Garber going to send in some hired goons to pry open the dressing room at the 10:00 minute mark?

They are simply saying that they expect the players to be available in a timely manner and teams that violate that could face a fine. If TFC makes players available in the spirit of that rule, there is no issue.

:lol:

I assume you have kids?

Are you telling me there aren't different levels and ways to modify behaviour?

Are you telling me the league can't simply ASK the team to speak to Winter and get him to open the locker room before they fine him?

If not, I wouldn't want to be your kid that's for sure.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 10:13 AM
If you've noticed, over the past two weeks the player post game interviews have been from the gym - usually as they have been on stationary bikes doing a post game cool down or something. As long as the media get their access, does it really matter where the interview takes place?

Like the Ottawa Senators. LOL

Darlofletch
04-04-2011, 10:14 AM
not news, but here's my lament for dero (http://www.wakingthered.com/2011/4/3/2089240/where-did-it-all-go-wrong)

Supporters should have loved him, little kids should have worshipped him, playground fights should have happened over who got to be De Ro when playing soccer at recess. Dwayne De Rosario, one of the best most successful players in MLS history, coming back to Toronto, to play for and finish his career with his hometown team, and help them become a successful team, how could that go wrong?

He should have retired a Red, leaving the field after a teary lap of honour to a standing ovation, instead we got this.

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 10:19 AM
I read your blog last night...and it made me sad but then I realized the old adage of "a prophet in his own land" applies here. Our athletes have to go elsewhere to obtain accolades and rewards. In SJ and Houston he is exactly those things and if he stays long enough in NY and wins something there too, the same. Only in his hometown will he not be recognized in that manner, even though he had his best career years here.

Pookie
04-04-2011, 10:38 AM
I read your blog last night...and it made me sad but then I realized the old adage of "a prophet in his own land" applies here. Our athletes have to go elsewhere to obtain accolades and rewards. In SJ and Houston he is exactly those things and if he stays long enough in NY and wins something there too, the same. Only in his hometown will he not be recognized in that manner, even though he had his best career years here.

Our athletes have to go elsewhere for accolades and rewards?

Yes, Dichio really suffered playing here. Athletes from all sports really, like Wendel Clark, Pinball, Doug Gilmour, Sittler, etc, etc.

No sir, no respect in this town.

scooter
04-04-2011, 10:46 AM
" timely manner " should be after the boys have their cool down,manager has a post game chat and a relaxing shower and change in to civies
they can always interveiw comming off the field for quick reaction
but as you can tell i am all in favour of giving the boys a chance to chill after the game and reflect on things
reporters need to wait there turn

bdiddy
04-04-2011, 10:49 AM
TSN posting about TFC and Vancouver.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=360784

Whoop
04-04-2011, 11:20 AM

Roogs, you always say this but I would dispute it.

Sure there are some supporters who don't like DeRo but I would argue he is more revered here than you think. DeRo, for whatever it's worth, had the opportunity to rule the Toronto sports landscape in a way he couldn't in San Jose or Houston, or will in New York. Sure there are pockets of people who love DeRo in San Jose and Houston, but the Earthquakes and Dynamo are way, way down the totem pole in their local sporting scenes than TFC is in Toronto. In San Jose you have the Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers, Oakland A's, San Francisco Giants, Golden State Warriors, and the San Jose Sharks. In Houston you have the Houston Texans, Houston Rockets, and the Houston Astros. I don't think you could ever make the claim that DeRo was one of the more recognizable sports stars in those cities than he was in Toronto.

And while I don't have the "evidence" or "numbers", I would be willing to a substantial wager that in terms of jersey sales (yes, not THE indicator but indicator of popularity) that the the number of TFC DeRo jerseys sold is more than the number of SJ DeRo jerseys sold and Houston DeRo jerseys sold combined or close to.

markus
04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Newsflash!!!

Reason for bad condition(penalty box) at bmo field...mystery solved?
Found couple of tweets...
"@Paulbeirne (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne) what's the deal with the trenches in the 18 yr boxes at BMO. Did someone finally dig a hole and bury em'?"
"@MrTuktoyaktuk (http://twitter.com/MrTuktoyaktuk) BMO field dug holes to put sleeves in for rugby."

Darlofletch
04-04-2011, 11:29 AM

I don't think it's It's quite as simple as that, it's not like he was awesome and the fans ran him out of town. If he'd been able to work things out with management, and stay here, aside from a few malcontents, the fans would have still loved him, especially if he could have led the team to some success.

For me, it's not sad because the fans didn't love him, it's sad that things went wrong and one way or another, it got to the stage where he had to leave without even a plyioff appearance.

If he'd been able to stay and finish his career here, he would have got the jaime moreno-esque sendoff from the supporters.

TFCRegina
04-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Ben Rycroft posted this raw audio of DeRosario's first media scrum in which he contradicts his statements in Wheeler's Sun article.

Question: Did you ask for a trade?
Answer: At first no but...

Also towards the end it suggests that DeRo's agent was the one who contacted New York first.

Anyways, I'm pretty tired of all of this but given the legs Wheeler's article had yesterday a direct audio transcript that counters it is worth sharing.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1463-Audio-clip-DeRo-on-the-trade

Not the question that was asked Pookie. Please try again and actually write down the FULL question and the Full answer.

scooterTFC
04-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Our athletes have to go elsewhere for accolades and rewards?

Yes, Dichio really suffered playing here. Athletes from all sports really, like Wendel Clark, Pinball, Doug Gilmour, Sittler, etc, etc.

No sir, no respect in this town.

Do you have any examples of athletes who played in Toronto since the start of the 21s century?

Times have changed. This city loves to hate star athletes. Player poles suggests it the least desirable NBA city to play in and the 5th least desired NHL city (its the center of the hockey universe and nobody wants to play here). There's good reason athletes from every sport hate playing here:
- the fans of Toront love to hate
- Toronto franchises owned by souless corporations and have been hopelessly mismanaged
- Sports media types tend to be quick to villify players to protect their FO connections and maintain whatever preferential access they think they have with the franchises

At my kids school the Penguins jersey's with Crosby on the back out number Leafs Jersey's 5:1 and the Leaf's jerseys ussually don't have a name or number. I wonder what we'd say about Crosby if he played here? We had the best pitcher in baseball and nobody even cared... at least we let him leave with his heasd up. I question whether the kids of this City will ever get to have local sports hero again.

Whoop
04-04-2011, 12:13 PM
There are more Crosby jerseys, or even Ovechkin jerseys, because the Leafs don't have a star on the team right now.

I just saw 3 Optimus Reim t-shirts this past weekend and this is a kid, James Reimer, who just joined the team.

When Sundin was here there were tonnes of Sundin jerseys, just like with Clark and Gilmour before him.

If Crosby played in Toronto, the streets would be overrun with Crosby Leaf jerseys.

And of top of that, sports like everything else has been globalized. If I want to follow a different NHL team these days it's easier to do so than ever before. Look at all the EPL, Serie A and La Liga jerseys you see out on the street. Fans can still follow their favourite team from across the pond.

As for Halladay, that was more of a case of people being apathetic to the Jays than to Halladay. It was the same when Roger Clemens had some of his best years in a Jays uniform. Even when the Jays won the World Series you didn't see a lot of baseball jerseys. It's not something a lot of people in Toronto wear.

Pookie
04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Do you have any examples of athletes who played in Toronto since the start of the 21s century?

Not sure what you mean. Dichio is a TFC example of a player that has enjoyed a terrific run and post retirement career in Toronto. He retired just a couple of years ago.

I do agree that the media is prone to eating their own but this isn't unique to Toronto. As an example, Carey Price was booed in the preseason in Montreal yet is now the saviour. Winning tends to make fans out of critics.

scooterTFC
04-04-2011, 12:33 PM
There are more Crosby jerseys, or even Ovechkin jerseys, because the Leafs don't have a star on the team right now.

I just saw 3 Optimus Reim t-shirts this past weekend and this is a kid, James Reimer, who just joined the team.

When Sundin was here there were tonnes of Sundin jerseys, just like with Clark and Gilmour before him.

If Crosby played in Toronto, the streets would be overrun with Crosby Leaf jerseys.

And of top of that, sports like everything else has been globalized. If I want to follow a different NHL team these days it's easier to do so than ever before. Look at all the EPL, Serie A and La Liga jerseys you see out on the street. Fans can still follow their favourite team from across the pond.

As for Halladay, that was more of a case of people being apathetic to the Jays than to Halladay. It was the same when Roger Clemens had some of his best years in a Jays uniform. Even when the Jays won the World Series you didn't see a lot of baseball jerseys. It's not something a lot of people in Toronto wear.

Sundin is a perfect example. The last star athelete this city truly embraced, and he was treated like crap by the team management and left town with sour taste in his mouth. Perfect example of why nobody wants to play for the teams in this city.

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Newsflash!!!

"@Paulbeirne (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne) what's the deal with the trenches in the 18 yr boxes at BMO. Did someone finally dig a hole and bury em'?"
"@MrTuktoyaktuk (http://twitter.com/MrTuktoyaktuk) BMO field dug holes to put sleeves in for rugby."

I will not be taking in that game. The last 2 matches have had that "trap door" grass element to them. Horrendous.

scooterTFC
04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Not sure what you mean. Dichio is a TFC example of a player that has enjoyed a terrific run and post retirement career in Toronto. He retired just a couple of years ago.

I do agree that the media is prone to eating their own but this isn't unique to Toronto. As an example, Carey Price was booed in the preseason in Montreal yet is now the saviour. Winning tends to make fans out of critics.

Well as bad it is in T.O. Lets hope we never fall down to the level of Montreal :) We should hold the fans of our city to higher standard then those chumps.

ryan
04-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Sundin is a perfect example. The last star athelete this city truly embraced, and he was treated like crap by the team management and left town with sour taste in his mouth. Perfect example of why nobody wants to play for the teams in this city.

Nobody wants to play for MLSE teams. Lets not get things confused here.

The Blue Jays are not a team that players avoid and with what they are currently doing, they seem to be becoming a more desired place to play than most in the MLB. The Blue Jays also have said they will look to spend upwards of $150M to compete as the young team continues to grow. Rogers wants to win. MLSE just wants to get paid.

Oldtimer
04-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Times have changed. This city loves to hate star athletes. Player poles suggests it the least desirable NBA city to play in and the 5th least desired NHL city (its the center of the hockey universe and nobody wants to play here). There's good reason athletes from every sport hate playing here:
- the fans of Toront love to hate
- Toronto franchises owned by souless corporations and have been hopelessly mismanaged
- Sports media types tend to be quick to villify players to protect their FO connections and maintain whatever preferential access they think they have with the franchises

How about:

* Canadian taxes are much higher than U.S. ones.
That's the big one.

Players will play for losing teams with ugly fans if they can get more money, most of them, as least.

scooterTFC
04-04-2011, 12:45 PM

I'm a Dichio fan, but he was a journeyman who we embraced as much for his grit as his goals. As much respect him, I'd hesitate to put him in the category of a 'star' player. He certainly was a more significant contributor for TFC then JYD was for the Raptors, but I think the reasons for his popularity are similar. That's one thing you can say about Toronto fans, we have an odd soft spot for the journeymen role-player with a good attitude.

scooterTFC
04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
How about:

* Canadian taxes are much higher than U.S. ones.
That's the big one.

Players will play for losing teams with ugly fans if they can get more money, most of them, as least.

Which would brings us full circle back to the Dero who came home to play in Toronto in spite of the negative tax implications. Ironically he was a lowly paid MLS guy... and not one of dozens of southern Ontario boy's making millions in the NHL. But then rallied the pitchfork mob and ran him out of town.

And with that I will retire from posting further.

markus
04-04-2011, 01:41 PM
I will not be taking in that game. The last 2 matches have had that "trap door" grass element to them. Horrendous.

and embarrassing...

Blowing Bubbles
04-04-2011, 05:44 PM

yep, my informal / rule of thumb for gauging the interest level in the Jays is the number of ppl walking around with Jays baseball hats, not jerseys. Baseball jerseys are awkward.

nfitz
04-04-2011, 06:03 PM
"@MrTuktoyaktuk (http://twitter.com/MrTuktoyaktuk) BMO field dug holes to put sleeves in for rugby."Oops ... I guess they should have done that last year.

Oh well, it will grow back ...

Joe Kool
04-04-2011, 08:08 PM
http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/nyrb-recruit-de-rosario-happy-be-new-environment-1549991

Alonso
04-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Nobody wants to play for MLSE teams. Lets not get things confused here.

The Blue Jays are not a team that players avoid and with what they are currently doing, they seem to be becoming a more desired place to play than most in the MLB. The Blue Jays also have said they will look to spend upwards of $150M to compete as the young team continues to grow. Rogers wants to win. MLSE just wants to get paid.

Maybe Rogers wouldn't be that bad of an owner for TFC?

denime
04-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Which would brings us full circle back to the Dero who came home to play in Toronto in spite of the negative tax implications. Ironically he was a lowly paid MLS guy... and not one of dozens of southern Ontario boy's making millions in the NHL. But then rallied the pitchfork mob and ran him out of town.

And with that I will retire from posting further.

He was/is highest paid non DP player in MLS that's not lowly paid,if he wanted to be paid more in Canada than he should play hockey instead of soccer.

This tells enough to realize who pushed the trade.

“It was just time,” he added. “I had enough and had to do what was best for me and my future.”http://www.tribalfootball.com/articl...onment-1549991 (http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/nyrb-recruit-de-rosario-happy-be-new-environment-1549991)

Alonso
04-04-2011, 09:03 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/extratime#downloads

MLS Extratime interview with Dero

Posted in the Dero thread but should probably be here too.

13:22 onwards is the meat of the interview.

Cashcleaner
04-05-2011, 05:10 AM
Newsflash!!!

Is that last part for real? If so...

NO RUGBY AT BMO FIELD!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Cashcleaner/norugby.png

Hustle
04-05-2011, 05:19 AM
Newsflash!!!

NO NO NO...WTF?????? Jesus, a supporter cannot have one day off without some bullshit. What now?

scooterTFC
04-05-2011, 07:56 AM
He was/is highest paid non DP player in MLS that's not lowly paid,if he wanted to be paid more in Canada than he should play hockey instead of soccer.

This tells enough to realize who pushed the trade.
http://www.tribalfootball.com/articl...onment-1549991 (http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/nyrb-recruit-de-rosario-happy-be-new-environment-1549991)

My context for saying lowly paid was relative to NHL players a league in which the minimum player salary is $450k. So in that context he iS a lowly paid
MLS player.

markus
04-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Is that last part for real? If so...

NO RUGBY AT BMO FIELD!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Cashcleaner/norugby.png

http://events.rugbycanada.ca/events_details.php?e=52

Blowing Bubbles
04-05-2011, 06:29 PM
My context for saying lowly paid was relative to NHL players a league in which the minimum player salary is $450k. So in that context he iS a lowly paid
MLS player.

Yeah but the NHL drives 2 billion in revenue so how can you say he is lowly paid compared to guys who are generating way more money for their owners?

scooterTFC
04-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Yeah but the NHL drives 2 billion in revenue so how can you say he is lowly paid compared to guys who are generating way more money for their owners?

True but how is salary vs revenue is relevant context to my simple point that Dero was unique amongst homegrown Toronto athletes given his decision to return to TO and play for his hometown team. He makes far less then top end NHL stars, from the Toronto area, so the taxation disadvantage of residing in Canada is probably a little harder swallow.

I respect the fact he came hear and played hard... I'm sad it didn't work out. And I think he deserves some respect for taking the chance to rep his hometown team. I don't see relatively higher paid NHL players showing that kind of civic pride. Tfc and the leafs have been equally
uncompetitive for years and he's the only TO boy stepping up to the challenge to change that. Their are far more Toronto born and raised NHL players... Disapointing to see none of them chasing the boyhood dream of winning for the hometown. Respect to Caremelo Anthony for following his heart back to NYC

ryan
04-06-2011, 07:55 AM
http://events.rugbycanada.ca/events_details.php?e=52

What's the point of real grass and banning the public from using it if they're going to ruin it with bloody rugby.

I hope it rains that day and they destroy the damn thing to prove a point.

ryan
04-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Maybe Rogers wouldn't be that bad of an owner for TFC?

I believe that to be true.

Owners have to want to win. Have to be willing to spend to win.

MLSE is neither.

Not sure if anyone's seen the CSN news about Garber's comments in Montreal

While lauding the benefits of Joey Saputo and his soccer specific sports group, Garber openly criticized and expressed legitimate concern for teams in MLS who operate multiple sports franchises under the same banner. By his view, they are not able to solely focus on and properly allocate resources to making soccer successful in their cities.

Those in attendance, including a reporter who recounted much of this to me (and who I trust with such assessments), perceived this diatribe as a direct swipe at Toronto FC and their owners, MLSE.

This, for many, would be completely out of left field given Garber’s repeated applause for Toronto and its ownership over the years. But it has become known in Toronto media and soccer circles that MLS and MLSE have developed frayed tensions over the last year.

A number of organizing missteps on MLS Cup weekend had both sides fuming at one another (and allegedly not talking by the end of it). And more recently, a source within MLS head office described screaming phone calls over how Toronto was mishandling Dwayne De Rosario’s departure (the club was prepared to announce the trade at 2pm during Aron Winter’s usual media scrum, before the details had not been finalized by MLS.)

So, were Garber’s scathing words for ownership groups who operate multiple teams directed solely at Toronto? Maybe. Maybe not. If they weren’t, he had just criticized a large swath of the league in big, bold strokes. (Have a look at a brief table of teams and the teams they own at the bottom of the article.)

To echo my comments I made over there..

MLSE is NOT the right owner in a league that needs to develop a fanbase. They will raise prices to suck out as much money from those who are (still) willing to come to TFC games to get as much as they can. If this fails, MLSE DOES NOT CARE! Why? Cause the team is valued 4x what they paid for it.

They don't have to win to make money, just take advantage of expansion buzz and it being new, then when that wears off and soccer is basically ruined amongst casual sports fans in Toronto, sell the club and wipe their hands clean.

I have no evidence of my thoughts, but it's MLSE and that's enough for me.

Auzzy
04-06-2011, 09:14 AM
^ The news of tensions between MSLE & the league is very interesting.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if in previous years, when TFC was doing extremely well at the gate compared with almost all other MLS teams, the league was quite happy with TFC's high ticket prices. Lots of that money flows back to the league, and subsidizes weaker markets. (However, I'm sure the league would like TFC to have more success & much less drama, both on & off the field -- partly to help keep those dollars flowing.)

jabbronies
04-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I believe that to be true.

Not sure if anyone's seen the CSN news about Garber's comments in Montreal

Speaking from experience, The league (MLS) is much more of a fuck up than MLSE. I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

ryan
04-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Speaking from experience, The league (MLS) is much more of a fuck up than MLSE. I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

Yeah but it's not as if all the clubs are going to disband from MLS and go make a new league. We're stuck with MLS.

MLSE on the other hand...