PDA

View Full Version : forward dp out of the question?

raj100
04-02-2011, 11:57 PM
seeing as dero is gone, many would seem to assume that the most logical thing to do is bring in a dp striker, but now that stevanovic has been brought in to play one wing, and is quite rated given his history, and martina is lighting it up, the only player that is in question, at the moment, seems to be the player who plays CF... today that problem was solved... gordon slotted in up top, and maicon santos played an attacking midfield role, which left much to be desired. now with de guzman coming back hes seemingly going to slot back into that 3rd midfield role, that leaves two strikers fighting for one spot... now heres the kicker, a forward dp, would leave us with 3 CFs and one of which is the clubs captain for the rest of the year... seeing as maicon is captain, is he presumably undroppable? it would be unheard of for a new player to seemingly swoop in and steal the captains postion... thought?

razor787
04-03-2011, 12:36 AM
-----------------------Frei----------------------
Harden----Attakora----------Cann---------Borman
---------------------DeGuzman-------------------
------------Tchani---------------Santos----------
-----Martina--------(Striker DP)--------Stavanovic-

Gordon isn't the class of striker we want, or desire. We get a DP striker for CF play Santos in the midfield. We only have 2 players that can play CF (Maicon + Gordon), which means if one gets injured, we need another person that we can fit into that position. Getting a DP striker would give us that peace of mind that we will be capable in the event of a injury to one of our forwards.

I do however think that selecting a captain was not the best move at this time. Winter should have announced that the captain for this match was Maicon, but that he is not the official captain, he was just serving as captain for the day.

werewolf
04-03-2011, 12:37 AM
http://euro.mediotiempo.com/media/2010/08/23/mista.jpg

razor787
04-03-2011, 12:43 AM
As big of a joke as people peg Mista as, I put him in the same group as Gerba. He wasn't given enough time to show himself. He was brought in, then Preki sat him on the bench every game. The goal he got, was when he was actually started (so he had more time then just 15-20 mins at the end of a game) and it was against a great opponent.

Maybe if he was given more of a chance to gel with the team, and get playing time, he would have been better.

James17930
04-03-2011, 01:48 AM
But if we really are 're-building', does it make sense for the club to really go get a DP this year? And given the shitty state we're in, are we really going to be all that attractive to any potential DPs?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Winter uses this year simply to figure out whom out of the current crop he wants to keep, then maybe makes a splash with a DP next year.

rocker
04-03-2011, 01:54 AM
I think he should wait until the summer window. The quality of players available will be better then. the cap hit will be 50%. By summer he should know what he has.

razor787
04-03-2011, 01:55 AM
getting a DP this year, is getting one for next year. Once the season ends in the bigger leagues, players contracts are up, and we have a better chance at signing someone good. If we want a DP next season, we have to grab him halfway through this one.

ensco
04-03-2011, 07:40 AM
^Summer is next year also in terms of priming SSH renewals, which one glance at Ticket Trader will tell you is going to be a big headache for them this fall.

I know a lot of SSHs are disheartened by how hard it is to resell tickets they can't use, even at a loss.

They're not far away from needing to make a splash with a "fannies in the seats" DP.

brad
04-03-2011, 08:11 AM
^Summer is next year also in terms of priming SSH renewals, which one glance at Ticket Trader will tell you is going to be a big headache for them this fall.

I know a lot of SSHs are disheartened by how hard it is to resell tickets they can't use, even at a loss.

They're not far away from needing to make a splash with a "fannies in the seats" DP.

Which actually kind of worries me. We need the right DP from a footballing standpoint, not to sell seats. If what you write is correct, we'd never sign a guy like Hassli, even though that might be exactly what we need.

swan
04-03-2011, 08:27 AM
what will put butts in the seats is a winning side a big dp name will not guarantee it..

brad
04-03-2011, 08:28 AM
what will put butts in the seats is a winning side a big dp name will not guarantee it..

It's a shorter term fix though.

swan
04-03-2011, 08:37 AM
It's a shorter term fix though.

yeah it's a band aid and will draw people but for how long..

but even if we had the biggest best name player come and he couldn't do anything because the team craps the bed every game people will lose interest fast..

Pachuco
04-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Too many assumptions here that the DP would be a big name coming to the end of his career. Personally, if we had a chance at a Freddy Montero why the heck wouldn't you take that and make him part of your rebuild?

spot-on
04-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Winter made it pretty clear in the presser after the game that he would be looking to bring someone to the team in June. The MLS roster freeze is mid April, which is likely too soon to properly evaluate and woo a potential DP.

LucaGol
04-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Too many assumptions here that the DP would be a big name coming to the end of his career. Personally, if we had a chance at a Freddy Montero why the heck wouldn't you take that and make him part of your rebuild?

Definitely +1 here.

Cashcleaner
04-03-2011, 10:02 AM
getting a DP this year, is getting one for next year. Once the season ends in the bigger leagues, players contracts are up, and we have a better chance at signing someone good. If we want a DP next season, we have to grab him halfway through this one.

Pretty much this. If we really are interested in working on a long-term strategy, then surely a DP signing (a proper one, mind you) would fit quite well into that philosophy.

CretanBull
04-03-2011, 10:04 AM
The assumption is based on the fact that we value potential DPs in their ability to help us win, but the FO value's a potential DP's ability to sell tickets and merch - with the way ticket sales went this off season, if think that its a safe bet that FO will either look to make a splash with a big-name who's at the end of his career or simply not look at signing a DP.

raj100
04-03-2011, 10:14 AM
NEW RB-----Attakora-------Cann-----Yourassowsky
---------------Tchani------DeGuzman-------------
----Martina----------Santos-----------Stavanovic-
--------------------(Striker DP)-------------------

personally i think if santos remains as the captain, and presumably in the starting 11 as a result, with a DP striker, i think this is the future formation of the squad, not the traditional dutch 433 but more of the 451 the dutch team played at the past world cup (which i feel we play more like now, rather than a 433)

Beach_Red
04-03-2011, 10:20 AM
The assumption is based on the fact that we value potential DPs in their ability to help us win, but the FO value's a potential DP's ability to sell tickets and merch - with the way ticket sales went this off season, if think that its a safe bet that FO will either look to make a splash with a big-name who's at the end of his career or simply not look at signing a DP.

It may not be an either/or situation, but it's likely before the FO gives the approval to a particular DP they'll look at marketing potential - they will need to sell tickets.

It's easy to say build a winning team and that will sell tickets, but that's a gamble - every team in the league is trying to build a winning team. Getting a big-name DP just means writing the bigger cheque, MLSE can do that if they feel they need to.

CretanBull
04-03-2011, 10:27 AM

I think the backline will be different, and I'm not sure if we'll get a DP striker but that's the formation & 5 in the midfield that I think we'll see - with Gordon up front for now at least. 4-2-3-1 is the en vogue formation ATM.

brad
04-03-2011, 10:32 AM

but even if we had the biggest best name player come and he couldn't do anything because the team craps the bed every game people will lose interest fast..

Long enough to get people to renew seasons, which has been enough for MLSE in past seasons.

Long enough to keep profits up while they are trying to sell.

swan
04-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Long enough to get people to renew seasons, which has been enough for MLSE in past seasons.

Long enough to keep profits up while they are trying to sell.

that is true..

rocker
04-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Long enough to get people to renew seasons,

what's that old saying: buyer beware? If people are buying season tickets and then suddenly feeling surprised, they are fools.

jazzy
04-03-2011, 10:39 AM
As big of a joke as people peg Mista as, I put him in the same group as Gerba. He wasn't given enough time to show himself. He was brought in, then Preki sat him on the bench every game. The goal he got, was when he was actually started (so he had more time then just 15-20 mins at the end of a game) and it was against a great opponent.

Maybe if he was given more of a chance to gel with the team, and get playing time, he would have been better.

sorry, his lazyness was legend, he was a huge disruption in the room.....actual curled lips when his name was mentioneed and ....crazy as it seems I don't think we should get a huge overpriced DP, here's thinkin the days of a JDG signing are over

Kaz
04-03-2011, 10:43 AM
There is one issue with a DP this year. Dicoy Williams took up our last international spot. Which means a DP would have to be a Canadian or US player.

Unless come the summer window, we trade a first round draft pick in 2012 for a international spot for this year and next, at which point we unload one of the current internationals that aren't doing anything.

spot-on
04-03-2011, 10:45 AM
There is one issue with a DP this year. Dicoy Williams took up our last international spot. Which means a DP would have to be a Canadian or US player.

Unless come the summer window, we trade a first round draft pick in 2012 for a international spot for this year and next, at which point we unload one of the current internationals that aren't doing anything.

I thought a DP is it's own spot (doesn't count towards international spots)

raj100
04-03-2011, 10:45 AM
personally i think we should go after a big name dp... but one that fits the system... JDG was a square peg for a round hole, he isnt the type of player that excels in the mls, simply cause he is not big enough... i think we should go after a big strong cf, but one that can still play with the ball to his feet, ruud is one that springs to mind... and fairly reasonable considering the whole dutch connection

raj100
04-03-2011, 10:47 AM
I think the backline will be different, and I'm not sure if we'll get a DP striker but that's the formation & 5 in the midfield that I think we'll see - with Gordon up front for now at least. 4-2-3-1 is the en vogue formation ATM.

what about bringing in an attacking midfielder to fill the santos spot, and putting santos up top as the '1'?

sashavukelich
04-03-2011, 10:51 AM
what's that old saying: buyer beware? If people are buying season tickets and then suddenly feeling surprised, they are fools.

couldn't agree more, because i'm north for Work i wasn't able to make the match, i noticed a TON of empty seats. How full would you guys guess the stands were?

jazzy
04-03-2011, 10:54 AM

personally i think if santos remains as the captain, and presumably in the starting 11 as a result, with a DP striker, i think this is the future formation of the squad, not the traditional dutch 433 but more of the 451 the dutch team played at the past world cup (which i feel we play more like now, rather than a 433)

are you not missing Williams?..he's big and seems more confident going for dangerous balls, and he backed up players very well, yesterday...Am I wrong in suggesting Nana at RB with Williams replacing Nana?

jazzy
04-03-2011, 10:58 AM

yes EG yesterday's no pass to wide open Stevanovic.....DP or coach wouldn't stand for that long

jazzy
04-03-2011, 11:02 AM
couldn't agree more, because i'm north for Work i wasn't able to make the match, i noticed a TON of empty seats. How full would you guys guess the stands were?

personally I can't see how there were even !6,000....I was there and felt the crowd but was shocked how empty it seemed on TV

Nuvinho
04-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Here is me dreaming:

Did Seedof re-sign with AC? If not there is your AM

As for your striker, RVN

It would mean we'd need to clear up cap and international spots....but that is just a dream.

raj100
04-03-2011, 12:36 PM
are you not missing Williams?..he's big and seems more confident going for dangerous balls, and he backed up players very well, yesterday...Am I wrong in suggesting Nana at RB with Williams replacing Nana?

williams? i didnt get to see him play in charelston, and i personally wouldnt give him a starting place in the squad after an appearance as short as yesterdays... but he looks like a good signing none the less...

nana at rb? my issue with that is that in this formation and style of play, the wing backs have to be attacking forces, they have to play as almost-wingers and i just dont see nana being that attacking force... think dani alves for barca, obviously it isnt a fair comparison, but you see him bombing down that flank at will, but still covering defensively, i dont see that with nana... there is a tradeoff however, if he can simply be a wall in the back line that no winger can get pass, i would give up that attacking threat...

Juanito
04-03-2011, 12:57 PM
The ONLY reason I can see a centre-forward DP coming to Toronto would be if he were a HUGE player. Someone like Didier Drogba, and to a lesser extent, Craig Bellamy.

We may have reached the point where we need a "name" to help attract the casual fan back to BMO.

However, with talk of MLSE up for sale, I have a suspicion that they aren't going to invest in a big name unless they can guarantee a return.

raj100
04-03-2011, 01:05 PM
The ONLY reason I can see a centre-forward DP coming to Toronto would be if he were a HUGE player. Someone like Didier Drogba, and to a lesser extent, Craig Bellamy.

We may have reached the point where we need a "name" to help attract the casual fan back to BMO.

However, with talk of MLSE up for sale, I have a suspicion that they aren't going to invest in a big name unless they can guarantee a return.

dont think craig bellamy screams centre-forward... but i know what you mean

spot-on
personally I can't see how there were even !6,000....I was there and felt the crowd but was shocked how empty it seemed on TV

I was there also, and I thought it looked decently full towards the end of the game (north stands excluded). We are consistently having issues filling the stadium for the starts of games though, which is concerning.

Also, the go train schedule sucks for games.

flatpicker

There is definitely an issue with fan support dropping off these days.
I would not be opposed to MLSE shelling out for a big name to put butts back in seats.
As for MLSE being for sale, I'm not sure that would have much impact on this situation.
Fact is, they have a lot of money.
When you look at the kinds of salaries they have on the Leafs and Raptors,
I think they can come up with the cash to have one luxury player on TFC.
Coming up with few mil per year for a marquee player ain't gonna affect MLSE's bottom line much.

Thrillos
04-03-2011, 02:51 PM
I can tell you guys right now that the number one spot Winter is looking to fill right now is a centre back. Nana will be pushed wide to rb most likely and Cann, Harden and Williams will fight it out for a spot beside the new CB.

We don't have problems attacking, we have problems getting the ball out of our own end! Once the ball is up into the midfield we have more than competent midfielders to do there job up there. Especially now that De Guzman is back, Peterson will get pushed back up into the top three for depth up top.

Zavarise, the new RB guy and Deguz will battle for the 2 DM roles. and those that think we won't play 2 DM roles with one attacking midfielder are 100% wrong. Thats how Winter likes to play and that's how we will continue to play.

Kaz
04-03-2011, 03:06 PM
I thought a DP is it's own spot (doesn't count towards international spots)
This has been discussed to death, a DP is a Salary designation not a roster spot in it's self. If the player does not have the ability to work in the country outside of MLS then he takes up an international Spot. Montero in Seattle got his green card in the US and became an domestic player. But if we were to sign a player that couldn't go get a job at Harvey's slinging burgers legally without a work visa then he is an international DP or not.

Juanito
04-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I can tell you guys right now that the number one spot Winter is looking to fill right now is a centre back. Nana will be pushed wide to rb most likely and Cann, Harden and Williams will fight it out for a spot beside the new CB.

We don't have problems attacking, we have problems getting the ball out of our own end! Once the ball is up into the midfield we have more than competent midfielders to do there job up there. Especially now that De Guzman is back, Peterson will get pushed back up into the top three for depth up top.

Zavarise, the new RB guy and Deguz will battle for the 2 DM roles. and those that think we won't play 2 DM roles with one attacking midfielder are 100% wrong. Thats how Winter likes to play and that's how we will continue to play.

From a footballing point-of-view, this makes sense.

From a putting-bums-on-the-seats point-of-view .... nothing makes a bigger splash than a big-name DP STRIKER.

I've been waiting for a big DP and I don't think it will happen. I'm just worried that the casual fan may have jumped so far off the bandwagon that they won't care to look for it later on.

So much for that HUGE waiting list MLSE claimed TFC had.

AmherstNY_TFC
04-03-2011, 11:55 PM
I worry that getting a Designated Player striker is the same groupthink that got TFC into the predicament it's in now. A short-term solution to quiet the restless fan base. The last four seasons have been one short-term solution after another. If TFC can get a guy who fits the system, and can improve the team, go for it. We've tried the quick fix Designated Player/Striker before, and look how that turned out.

P.S. Does anyone else laugh like Beavis or Butt-Head every time someone writes "DP?"

Roogsy
04-04-2011, 12:10 AM

For a million bucks, you shouldn't need "time" to show us something.

So unless Mista goes elsewhere and tears it up like Gerba did with Montreal, I'd have to disagree that his stay here was anything like Gerbas. Gerba hardly got starting time for the 4 months he was here, played hurt and then was shipped out before the season even started.

TFCRegina
04-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Wait, wasn't there this guy that we gave up money and draft picks (and a crappy defender) for that was providing goals at a rate you would expect out of a DP striker?

We had a key tool, he was dumped for political reasons, and our team wrote off their season so Tom Anselmi and Earl Cochrane can sleep at night.

Read Roogs' words: For a million bucks, you shouldn't need "time" to show us something.

Players in the league have come into teams and made immediate impacts for say: 44% of that previously mentioned sum.

Hustle
04-04-2011, 01:42 AM
^yeap but 44% don't cut it as we have all seen. Someone just tell me what was going to make DeRo happy. I really want to know. Was it a million?...I doubt it. Something tells me unless he was the highest paid player on the team buy a large margin, nothing was going to change.

Setting a bad precedent is a killer. The Deguzman deal really caused this whole mess. The best performer on the team was not the highest paid player on the team and sooner or later, that baseless inequality causes irrepairable damage in any workplace.

If we get another DP, he better be a flipping superstar that will make an immediate impact. Otherwise, its not worth the trouble it causes.

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2011, 09:50 AM
No to DP CB. DP striker only, please. I hate the fact that DP's always arrive midseason and need time to gel and bring down their game to those around them/take on the new system.

brad
04-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Here is me dreaming:

Did Seedof re-sign with AC? If not there is your AM

As for your striker, RVN

It would mean we'd need to clear up cap and international spots....but that is just a dream.

You need to the get ball into RVN in the box for him to score. We don't currently have the quality to do that consistently.

brad
04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
From a footballing point-of-view, this makes sense.

From a putting-bums-on-the-seats point-of-view .... nothing makes a bigger splash than a big-name DP STRIKER.

I've been waiting for a big DP and I don't think it will happen. I'm just worried that the casual fan may have jumped so far off the bandwagon that they won't care to look for it later on.

So much for that HUGE waiting list MLSE claimed TFC had.

I worry what will happen to attendance after a couple of routes at home. Our defense has struggled against very mediocre teams, and everything is setting up for a very ugly picture when some of the better attacking teams come to town.

dupont
04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
I got the impression from watching the post game with Winter that they are looking at someone right now but he didn't want to make it seem that way. His eyes dart around when the reporter asks if something is in the works before he answers that the "roster is full".
It's probably a smart move to just never let on what they are planning because a lot of things just don't pan out and you shouldn't get the fans expecting things that may or may not happen.

jloome
04-04-2011, 11:08 AM
You need to the get ball into RVN in the box for him to score. We don't currently have the quality to do that consistently.

I'd say it's one of the few areas now where we DO have the quality. Martina, Zavarese and Peterson all cross well, I imagine Stevanoviv probably delivers a pretty good ball as well.

mmmikey
04-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I'd say it's one of the few areas now where we DO have the quality. Martina, Zavarese and Peterson all cross well, I imagine Stevanoviv probably delivers a pretty good ball as well.

100% agreed with you and Thrillos. We have decent attacking chops right now, the problems is it happens for too little of the game cause we are constantly stuck with the ball at the back 4 + Frei.

There was already a remarkable difference in movement with Sturgis out of midfield last game, but we still suffer greatest from our CB's + RB being unable to pick clean passes out of our own end. One more decent passer at the back and Nana at least as a "best of bad options" at RB will make a huge difference.

brad
04-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Except RVN likes the ball to his feet, not in the air... (unless he's changed his game since being at United - I haven't watched him much since).

RedsOnTop
04-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Setting a bad precedent is a killer. The Deguzman deal really caused this whole mess. The best performer on the team was not the highest paid player on the team and sooner or later, that baseless inequality causes irrepairable damage in any workplace.

If we get another DP, he better be a flipping superstar that will make an immediate impact. Otherwise, its not worth the trouble it causes.

For me this is the root of all our problems... Mo and his stupid contract agreement with DeGuzman, causing tons of discontent within the dressing room. I mean how can Attakora or Cann go out on the field with $40000 salaries, perform better than a guy getting paid $1.7 mil, and not be unhappy... Also, I appreciate people's optimism with regards to DeGuzman and the new system, but I fail to see how he will improve over last years performance.

Winter and Mariner (who I don't think is getting enough credit) are doing a very good job of assembling a strong team at all positions. Although I agree with most comments here, in that we probably still need top players at CB and CF, hopefully DP quality.

Here's what I would hope the future lineup looks like:

Frei

Omphroy/Yourass -(Nana/Cann/Harden - or DP)- Williams - Borman/Yourass

Tchani --- (Peterson/JDG/Sturgis/Zavarise) --- Maicon

Martina ------ (Gordon or Drogba) ------- Stevanovic

I think that with Borman, Yourassowsky and Omphroy, moving the ball out of the back won't be a problem for us. Although I like their effort, Cann, Attakora and Harden have zero ball skills... and need to be replaced with people who can play on the ground.

Gazza
04-04-2011, 01:53 PM
We just traded away a pretty good dp-like striker/attacking mid.

A 35 year old, washed-up, has-been from europe won't be able to do the things that de ro could.

We should sure up the defense before we do anything.

raj100
04-04-2011, 02:38 PM
as for a DP centre back... is that what we really want? will a dp centre back really bring us that final push from being a borderline playoff team, to a contender?

i just think that when you bring in a dp centre back, and the team still allows goals, everyone on here is gunna want to burn the player... end of the day defending is done as a team, you can put tony adams in the centre of the worst defensive line, and i bet they will still let in goals, defending is all about awareness between players, and i think that this team can get much better defensively with a few games, as the players will gel, and will get to know each others styles, and work in unison....

the dp forward makes more sense, simply because one moment of brilliance can win a game, a shot from 30 yards, a deke, or just a great ball, all of this a player in the attacking line can do... aslong as he has the talentt

DichioTFC
04-04-2011, 02:57 PM
i think our defence is "set", for lack of a better word. Dicoy did well as CB, Nana could play RB, Omphroy / Yourass / new guy could all play LB.

I think the most significant changes have to be tactical. Have the fullback overlap with the winger, switching the field of play faster and with greater accuracy.

I know we haven't looked great, but we have shown promise at times. I have a feeling that this team will get unearned points all year long.

brad
04-04-2011, 03:08 PM
For me this is the root of all our problems... Mo and his stupid contract agreement with DeGuzman, causing tons of discontent within the dressing room. I mean how can Attakora or Cann go out on the field with $40000 salaries, perform better than a guy getting paid $1.7 mil, and not be unhappy... Also, I appreciate people's optimism with regards to DeGuzman and the new system, but I fail to see how he will improve over last years performance.

Winter and Mariner (who I don't think is getting enough credit) are doing a very good job of assembling a strong team at all positions. Although I agree with most comments here, in that we probably still need top players at CB and CF, hopefully DP quality.

But, this is the risk with any DP contract. If we bring a big name Euro striker on a big contract you are opening up the same can of worms, regardless of how they perform. If a DP striker scores 15 goals, and Santos scores 6 or 7, is that really a justification for the added salary to a player like Santos?

ManUtd4ever
04-04-2011, 03:19 PM
But, this is the risk with any DP contract. If we bring a big name Euro striker on a big contract you are opening up the same can of worms, regardless of how they perform. If a DP striker scores 15 goals, and Santos scores 6 or 7, is that really a justification for the added salary to a player like Santos?

Exactly. In DeRo's case it probably stung a bit more because JDG was a CMNT teammate who he was familiar with, and he felt he deserved a comparable salary.

Nonetheless, there are several cases of underachieving DP's as well as underpaid domestic players. In MLS, incumbent players in particular have to understand that the league is still in it's infancy stages, and the DP exception will help attract word class talent that will improve the quality of the league, even it means large discrepancies in salary for the foreseeable future.

brad
04-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Exactly. In DeRo's case it probably stung a bit more because JDG was a CMNT teammate who he was familiar with, and he felt he deserved a comparable salary.

Nonetheless, there are several cases of underachieving DP's as well as underpaid domestic players. In MLS, incumbent players in particular have to understand that the league is still in it's infancy stages, and the DP exception will help attract word class talent that will improve the quality of the league, even it means large discrepancies in salary for the foreseeable future.

Beyond Angel in his first season or two, have there been any DP's in the MLS that have been head and shoulders above the rest?

ManUtd4ever
04-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Beyond Angel in his first season or two, have there been any DP's in the MLS that have been head and shoulders above the rest?

Not really, but I think teams are getting smarter about their DP signings now, and are going after younger, lesser known, import players that can have an impact as opposed to the over the hill, Euro legends of years past.

Beach_Red
04-04-2011, 03:44 PM
For me this is the root of all our problems... Mo and his stupid contract agreement with DeGuzman, causing tons of discontent within the dressing room.

Certainly this is where a lot of the problems started. there was a lot of fan pressure to sign a DP and there were even threads on here demanding it be JDG. Still, that's not something management should have caved to but that was the situation with TFC then.

So far it seems like the new management won't make those kind of panicky decisions.

Juanito
04-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Certainly this is where a lot of the problems started. there was a lot of fan pressure to sign a DP and there were even threads on here demanding it be JDG. Still, that's not something management should have caved to but that was the situation with TFC then.

So far it seems like the new management won't make those kind of panicky decisions.

This is what I find funny. I remember that Canada-Jamaica World Cup qualifier back in 09 I believe when we saw De Guzmán and De Rosario. We were chanting "DeRo to T.O." and "J-D-G". We asked for it, and Mo Johnston brought them BOTH. I know Mo is no saint, but in this particular case, he did what we asked and now a lot of youse are crapping on him for it.

What's the point of the story ..... THE SUPPORTERS KNOW SHIT!!! I include myself in that. We can talk and debate, but in the end, we don't know shit!

menefreghista
04-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Can't blame the fanbase for stupid player acquisition moves. Its not our job.

That being said considering the money TFC fans have pumped into this team they should always be carrying 3 DP players.

Don't buy this rebuilding bullshit. If you have 3 DP level players and a handful of decent MLS level players you can compete in this league.

Instead we have TFC fans letting management off the hook and already giving up on the season. This isn't NHL or MLB where you take years to rebuild. Let's not make it too easy for these guys.

Jenkins12
04-05-2011, 08:25 AM
What big name strikers are out there that you'd be interested in, are you talking old european players like Trezeguet or Inzaghi?

menefreghista
04-05-2011, 08:28 AM
What big name strikers are out there that you'd be interested in, are you talking old european players like Trezeguet or Inzaghi?

I don't care if the player is a big name, just that he can still play well.

It can be a Hassli type player. It can be a young player with upside.

If you have an opportunity to add two great players to your team why wouldn't you take advantage of it?

Jenkins12
04-05-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm just asking for some names that you'd be interested in that may be available

menefreghista
04-05-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm just asking for some names that you'd be interested in that may be available

I don't know. That's management's job to find players.

I don't follow the contract status of players in Europe.

I'm sure you can get a lot of decent talent for about $1 million per season. But if people keep letting management off the hook we will never know.

Jenkins12
04-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Mista really was a shocking choice last year, Thats when I started to follow Toronto and thought then that he wasn't even a great player when he was in his prime, he only had 1 or 2 good years at Valencia

RedsOnTop
04-05-2011, 10:29 AM
I think the whole DP situation is difficult, and I don't like the idea of bringing in 2+ million dollar signings. I think we should be focusing on talented, young players from the English Championship/1st division, or some of the South American leagues, where we would end up paying them 500k - 1 mil. But they would be extremely solid performers... I for one thought Mista showed some great vision and skill on the field, but unfortunately he had serious health problems, was too old, and there seemed to be some problem with him and the existing coaching staff, limiting his playing time. It also seemed that he and Dero wanted to play the same position, constantly getting in each others way.

I really like the direction Vancouver took with Hassli. A solid proven goalscorer in a decent European league. A very astute buy.

I am hoping that Mariner has his DP type targets ready for the summer when hopefully we can swoop and pick up a couple more top players, then I think we would have a very good team.

Section 117
04-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Mista was signed as Preki got a kick back once he was signed.

IMO what we need is not a forward but an attacking midfielder my choice would be Clarence Seedorf. He is Dutch and is still amazing and would rip this league apart.

Jenkins12
04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Mista was signed as Preki got a kick back once he was signed.

IMO what we need is not a forward but an attacking midfielder my choice would be Clarence Seedorf. He is Dutch and is still amazing and would rip this league apart.

That is true, He was on the BBC during the world cup and he was saying he'd look to move abroad at the end of his career. Robert Pires has been quoted stating that he would be willing to move to the MLS too..but hes more of a winger

I'm not saying it will happen, but there were rumours over here that both Anelka and Drogba were both interested in moving to play in the MLS, both would be a great pick up

Whoop
04-05-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm more inclined at looking at younger guys looking to prove themselves and/or use the MLS as a springboard to Europe.

Kind of like the Stevanovic deal but with Fredy Montero like results. LOL

With DPs you never know. It's still early but Thierry Henry hasn't been a success on the pitch just yet. Eric Hassli has as many MLS goals as Henry.

You need to do your due diligence in finding the guy with the right mentality which is more important than just getting a "big name" which is what the DP rule was supposed to do at first.

At the very least TFC should always have two DPs on their roster.

ExiledRed
04-05-2011, 11:20 AM
For a million bucks, you shouldn't need "time" to show us something.

How much are they paying Winter then? minimum wage?

Apparently he needs about three years to show us something.

raj100
04-05-2011, 03:03 PM
when looking at a dp i personally think that tfc should be looking to bring in a player who relies more on his brains rather than brawn... an intelligent footballer rather than a player who was just really good because of physical attributes... why? when they get old (assuming that we are looking at an over 30 well known player from across the ocean) the wear and tear of travel in this league is going to be immense... no where in europe are matches so far apart... it takes a toll on the body... henry is a player who will probably excel in this league, but it all depends on how his body deals with the wear and tear of being an mls player...

my opinion on the dp? i think we should realistically look to bring in pires... slot him in behind santos, and play santos up top... pires doesnt have the legs he once had.. but he is probably one of the smartest players to ever grace the pitch

KGH
04-05-2011, 03:08 PM
That being said considering the money TFC fans have pumped into this team they should always be carrying 3 DP players.

Don't buy this rebuilding bullshit. If you have 3 DP level players and a handful of decent MLS level players you can compete in this league.

The challenge with having 3 DP's is it eats $1M into our $2.6M cap. That only leaves $1.6M to fill out the rest of the roster.

flatpicker
04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
The challenge with having 3 DP's is it eats $1M into our $2.6M cap. That only leaves $1.6M to fill out the rest of the roster.

It's possible that if you had 3 DP's in the forward positions,
You would be able to outscore most teams,
Even with an average defence.

Not saying we should do this... just sayin'.

ManUtd4ever
04-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Can't blame the fanbase for stupid player acquisition moves. Its not our job.

Instead we have TFC fans letting management off the hook and already giving up on the season. This isn't NHL or MLB where you take years to rebuild. Let's not make it too easy for these guys.

The majority of supporters have been adamant that the DeRo trade should be the precursor to the acquisition of a DP level offensive player. No one is letting management off the hook, some supporters are just being realistic about the timeframe required to build a winning club. Even if TFC acquired 2 solid DP's tomorrow, it would still take at least half of the season for this team to gel and get acclimated with Winter's system considering the overall roster turnover.

flatpicker
04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
^ I'd be fine with that if they gelled just in time for the playoffs!

Whoop
04-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah, but you don't want to be so far out of the playoffs by then that you can't catch up.

flatpicker
04-05-2011, 03:30 PM
^ Well, that scenario doesn't fit into my dream.
I write a different story in my imagination. ;)

pekduck
04-05-2011, 03:31 PM
This is what I find funny. I remember that Canada-Jamaica World Cup qualifier back in 09 I believe when we saw De Guzmán and De Rosario. We were chanting "DeRo to T.O." and "J-D-G". We asked for it, and Mo Johnston brought them BOTH. I know Mo is no saint, but in this particular case, he did what we asked and now a lot of youse are crapping on him for it.

What's the point of the story ..... THE SUPPORTERS KNOW SHIT!!! I include myself in that. We can talk and debate, but in the end, we don't know shit!

Mo did those transactions to save his job, not with an intention to build the team properly.

Winter is trying to build the team properly, and his transactions sometimes baffles supporters sometimes excites supporters and sometimes outright pisses all of us off.

Hey, Winter and Mariner knows what he's doing (so far). Mo knew nothing but padding his own bottom line.

I know... I may have just drank the Kool Aid from MLSE, but this time it looks legit, lol. I'll find out in 1.5 years.

brad
04-05-2011, 03:37 PM
It's possible that if you had 3 DP's in the forward positions,
You would be able to outscore most teams,
Even with an average defence.

Not saying we should do this... just sayin'.

Well, NY had Angel and Henry in attack and they didn't outscore everyone.

flatpicker
04-05-2011, 03:41 PM
^ They'll be fine once they add Drogba.
;)

brad
04-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I think there is too much focus on getting a DP striker - as there is no correlation between having a DP and being successful. Every season the DP rule has been in place the golden boot went to a non-DP player - except the year it went to Donavon.

We need an effective player up top. DP does not mean success or goals.

ryan
04-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Acquire more Gen Adidas players to supplement the DP's and really 2 is plenty as long as they are the right ones.

brad
04-05-2011, 03:51 PM
^ They'll be fine once they add Drogba.
;)

He'll get jealous of DeRo and flop :)

Alonso
04-05-2011, 04:03 PM
I think he should wait until the summer window. The quality of players available will be better then. the cap hit will be 50%. By summer he should know what he has.

Reluctantly agree. (I'm impatient)

ExiledRed
04-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Hey, Winter and Mariner knows what he's doing (so far). .

source?

KGH
04-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Acquire more Gen Adidas players to supplement the DP's and really 2 is plenty as long as they are the right ones.

Even without the Gen adidias players 2 dp's leaves $2.0 to split between 18-20 players. Averaging $100k a player is about right. A good break down would be:

2 dp's - $670k
2 high value starters - $550k
4 med value starters - $600k
3 low value starters - $300k
4 low/mid bench - $280
5 min salary players - $200k

Add the gen A players and you're cooking