PDA

View Full Version : Next player(s) to go

Nuvinho
04-02-2011, 05:03 PM
I know this could open up another can of worms (even for those who don't have a can opener). Just how the new TFC management handled the DeRo situation, and somewhat the Cann situation, that a few others could potentially be out the door, as soon as they can find replacements.

Sturgis - I think is as good as gone as soon as JDG is back to full strenght. If they can get a 1st rounder back or even an international spot plus a pick, it would be a decent move. I think he is gone before the April 15th roster freeze.

Cann - I still think that him leaving the club during pre-season was a really big deal in the eyes of TFC management. I could see him being moved.

Nana - This could be a shocker, but it seems that Nana's contract situation isn't settled yet, and his play seems to be slipping. Today's substitution, may not be anything big, but to take him out for tactical purposes for another CB could be an indication that Nana is replaceable too.

Its just me thinking out loud....I should shut up....haha!!!

Nuvinho
04-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I will add one more:

Gargan - good under preki, exposed under the new system. Bench player at best, but do we need to pay a bench player $80K or something like that.

werewolf
04-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Harden.

Nuvinho
04-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Harden.

yes please.

brad
04-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Peterson.

LucaGol
04-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Peterson.

I swear, sometimes I think that Winter has kept Peterson and Harden around and continues to start them because they look Dutch.

They have absolutely no footballing ability to speak of so I'm trying to grasp for any iota of rationality where there clearly is none.

denime
04-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Gargan,Harden and Sturgis for now,after season is finished few more for sure.

prizby
04-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Peterson.

sorry but can you remind me who set up the only goal we scored today...?

Nana got substituted cuz he's still recovering from his injury that caused him to miss last week

lobo
04-02-2011, 05:34 PM
I swear, sometimes I think that Winter has kept Peterson and Harden around and continues to start them because they look Dutch.

They have absolutely no footballing ability to speak of so I'm trying to grasp for any iota of rationality where there clearly is none.

right, cause peterson's free kick leading to our only goal today was pure luck, right? he had no clue what he was doing obviously, yeah?

ensco
04-02-2011, 05:34 PM
JDG?

== sets off smoke bomb and departs. ==

yellowfellow
04-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Gargan.

LucaGol
04-02-2011, 05:39 PM
right, cause peterson's free kick leading to our only goal today was pure luck, right? he had no clue what he was doing obviously, yeah?

Floating in a free-kick is hardly setting up a goal.

You make it sound as if he slotted a perfectly weighted through-ball after dispossessing a Chivas player with a well timed tackle.

He took a free kick, Gordon got on the end of it due to poor marking. Sure, at the end of the day it's an assist, but hardly anything to get excited about.

That play by Peterson was a rain drop of optimism in an Ocean of ineffectiveness.

69Chevy396
04-02-2011, 05:51 PM
In a system where defenders are asked to simply boot the ball up the pitch whenever they are under pressure, guys like Cann and Gargan look good, but where they are expected to distribute the ball under pressure, both these guys look horrible. Cann's miscues today led to the goal and to at least three other Chivas scoring opportunities. The other guys mentioned here have had similar problems, but both Cann and Gargan consistently look bad in this possession football system: they are both going to be traded in my opinion

Cashcleaner
04-02-2011, 05:59 PM
^ That's a pretty fair assessment. I just don't see Cann having place here in the long-term. Once TFC has a chance to get rid of him, I'm sure they'll take it (though it will be likely later rather than sooner given his contract re-negotiation).

Batman
04-02-2011, 06:00 PM
what a downer of a thread to have started up.

god I look forward to more positive days.

Stryker
04-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Harden has been shite since the moment he arrived.

ArmenJBX
04-02-2011, 07:57 PM
How can anyone say Peterson?
You know what, I'm sick of this shit.
He scores goals, set up the only goal of today's match, has looked 100x better this year than last year and is certainly not to blame for the shitshows we've seen so far.

Anyone who's saying Peterson needs to go has probably seen 15 minutes of Toronto FC is their lifetime anyways and is only saying so because it's the only name they can remember from last year being talked about.

But no, it's the easy option to just say "Oh, Peterson is shit! Go the FC, I love beer and sometimes soccer wooo!"

Nuvinho
04-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Its not who WE would like to go, its who WINTER would like to let go.

He seems to like Harden (no idea why).

London
04-02-2011, 08:02 PM
But no, it's the easy option to just say "Oh, Peterson is shit! Go the FC, I love beer and sometimes soccer wooo!"

this is funny as fuck LOL

sashavukelich
04-02-2011, 08:08 PM
you defending peterson, who i admit has improved drastically, is like that guy defending Britney Spears on Youtube. Peterson is being played out of position, he did okay actually...much better than i anticipated!

Harden - had a split game today, dominated in the air, won tons of tackles...lacked distribution, but then again he's on 50k a year or something like that, so he's great for rosters. Cann had an off day....maybe shook up by the departure of his amigo Dero.

Gargan(atuan) - i think he'll be on his way, and i truly wish him all the best, such a good guy. Maybe if the price is right we'll keep him as a squad player, i'm sure he's good for morale.

Yohan
04-02-2011, 08:09 PM
isn't Gargan on a 40k contract? you can't get lower than that

werewolf
04-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Peterson doesn't score goals, he scored a goal. He had a decent game today by his standards, but hes still overpaid. Usanov wouldn't have been that bad either, except for salary.

Nuvinho
04-02-2011, 08:15 PM
isn't Gargan on a 40k contract? you can't get lower than that

I heard somewhere on these boards he got a raise to $80K plus?

ArmenJBX
04-02-2011, 08:16 PM
2 last year, 2 this year in preseason
enough assists to put him above other midfielders

werewolf
04-02-2011, 08:18 PM
oh yea, CL, was looking at league stats. Still overpaid, we could do better with that amount of money.

MKR
04-02-2011, 08:18 PM
another problem is that these guys are completely unfamiliar with eachother. I think this team really has to stop with the revolving door and just let some of these players get used to one another. Ya some of them look poor at the moment, but i would give pretty much everyone more time. This reactionary "Oh my God Harden needs to never play for TFC again" attitude is over the top and not thought out. (just using Harden as an example btw).

Some of these guys that we think suck now could/should be good depth players.

Hopefully Winter is more patient and less trigger happy than Mo.

sashavukelich
04-02-2011, 08:20 PM
^^^ if only pre-season counted. Look, it's not as if we WANT Peterson to be inadequate, he's just been found wanting. we all agree he did better today than expected.

tfc2008
04-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Nice site, you guys know everything, are dreaming somuch.
But when you guys know everything about wat the players make one money, and nobody is good inoff, wat about the Guzman and then i dont talk about today but last year he make somuch and tell me wat let he see on the field, wat he do one kick to left one to the right i tell you my son can do better

ArmenJBX
04-02-2011, 08:26 PM
All I know is Peterson is here to stay

tfc2008
04-02-2011, 08:32 PM
bythe way and Guzman is a ex prof

parma
04-02-2011, 08:48 PM
I know this could open up another can of worms (even for those who don't have a can opener). Just how the new TFC management handled the DeRo situation, and somewhat the Cann situation, that a few others could potentially be out the door, as soon as they can find replacements.

Sturgis - I think is as good as gone as soon as JDG is back to full strenght. If they can get a 1st rounder back or even an international spot plus a pick, it would be a decent move. I think he is gone before the April 15th roster freeze.

Cann - I still think that him leaving the club during pre-season was a really big deal in the eyes of TFC management. I could see him being moved.

Nana - This could be a shocker, but it seems that Nana's contract situation isn't settled yet, and his play seems to be slipping. Today's substitution, may not be anything big, but to take him out for tactical purposes for another CB could be an indication that Nana is replaceable too.

Its just me thinking out loud....I should shut up....haha!!!

I agree Nana..something seems off...he was awful today..wrong sided..heavy passing..waving his arms..he is still raw but unable to move the ball effectively..picking out mids..his passing is heavy and often off target..no way he is ready to leave for Europe in any way...maybe to languish on the bench...if you look at our defense on the National Team..who would you take out to replace with Nana...no one...there is something there but he seems off..disjointed

Pachuco
04-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I think it should be Dero. He's selfish and doesn't pass the ball.

Pookie
04-02-2011, 09:10 PM
My oh my this is a positive thinking thread

boban
04-02-2011, 09:32 PM
For a bunch of guys who complain about the revolving door at TFC and lack of continuity you sure have a penchent for seeing guys leaving the organization. Question is who haven't you written off from this team!
What an ironic thread lol

MG42
04-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Nice site, you guys know everything, are dreaming somuch.
But when you guys know everything about wat the players make one money, and nobody is good inoff, wat about the Guzman and then i dont talk about today but last year he make somuch and tell me wat let he see on the field, wat he do one kick to left one to the right i tell you my son can do better

quoted for legendary post status

MG42
04-02-2011, 09:37 PM
The one player I think is gone for sure is Cann.

canadian_bhoy
04-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Wouldn't be disappointed if we did in fact release the gargan.

Pookie
04-02-2011, 09:41 PM
And what exactly would we gain by releasing a bench player?

BayernTFC
04-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Peterson doesn't score goals, he scored a goal. He had a decent game today by his standards, but hes still overpaid. Usanov wouldn't have been that bad either, except for salary.
You know, Peterson has been decent in the midfield the past two games. He's hustled and tracked back well. Unfortunately, there still wasn't much ball movement coming through him to the forwards (there have been more long balls coming from Frei than there were in the pre-season and the season opener). werewolf is right though. In MLS, its a numbers game. In a 4-3-3, who do you start Peterson ahead of? Your $1.7M DP JDG? You going to take out Maicon Santos for him? Can Peterson use his strength to control the midfield and play better defensively than Tchani? Does he have the same versatility and ability as Gianluca Zavarise? TFC has a much cheaper option in Nathan Sturgis too. I don't think he'll be playing ahead of Martina or Stevanovic on the wing either. If Peterson isn't going to see many minutes, it will be hard for TFC to eat such a salary. The roster is filled up at the moment and space will have to be created if they want to make a move in the summer. It may come down to the player that TFC is able to move. Look at it from the perspective of another team in MLS. If TFC has certain players on offer, who would you choose?

Oor Wullie
04-02-2011, 09:43 PM
quoted for legendary post status
LOL awesome

BayernTFC
04-02-2011, 09:47 PM
And what exactly would we gain by releasing a bench player?
Cap space if he isn't on a guaranteed salary:

Teams may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players with guaranteed contracts will continue to have their salary budget charge applied to the team salary budget, subject to any settlement. Players on semi-guaranteed contracts can be waived prior to July 1 of any year and free up the corresponding budget space. If a player on a semi-guaranteed contract is waived after July 1, his salary budget charge will count against the team’s salary budget and the team waiving the player will not receive a replacement except under the normal player acquisition mechanisms. Any settlement amount will be charged to the team’s salary budget.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

Pookie
04-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Cap space?

He's at (or near) the league minimum. If you replace him with anyone, outside of a Gen Adidas player, there is no savings.

brad
04-02-2011, 10:05 PM
How can anyone say Peterson?
You know what, I'm sick of this shit.
He scores goals, set up the only goal of today's match, has looked 100x better this year than last year and is certainly not to blame for the shitshows we've seen so far.

Anyone who's saying Peterson needs to go has probably seen 15 minutes of Toronto FC is their lifetime anyways and is only saying so because it's the only name they can remember from last year being talked about.

I've been a season ticket holder since day one kid, and I've been watching football for 25 years.

Peterson is shit.

Shakes McQueen
04-02-2011, 10:13 PM
If Cann wants to stay with TFC, he's going to have to play really well (and he hasn't so far). Otherwise, I think he's the next best candidate to be traded.

I suspect the team probably didn't like him walking away from camp, and if he can't give the team a compelling reason to keep him, I could see the team using his departure to make a statement.

- Scott

andyc
04-02-2011, 10:15 PM
We need depth... Did you see our bench today without Gold Cup and almost no injuries...

Milos Kocic (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/131970/milos-kocic)G 5

Ashtone Morgan (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/153081/ashtone-morgan)D 8

Dan Gargan (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/56930/dan-gargan)M 6

Julián De Guzman (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/106195/julian-de-guzman)M 31

Dicoy WilliamsM 16

Oscar Cordon (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/153083/oscar-cordon)M 7

Joao Plata Cotera (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/150848/joao-plata-cotera)F

I agree that the players under discussion are not starters but why not build some strength on the bench???

drexel10
04-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Cann asked to be traded a couple of weeks ago.

BayernTFC
04-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Cap space?

He's at (or near) the league minimum. If you replace him with anyone, outside of a Gen Adidas player, there is no savings.
Look, I'm not arguing that Gargan be dumped for nothing or even replaced with someone of equal abilities. If funds were freed by the release of Gargan and added to any leftover cap space TFC has (including what was freed up in the DeRo trade), then perhaps someone better can be added to the TFC roster?

MG42
04-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Cann asked to be traded a couple of weeks ago.

Nice

noochie
04-02-2011, 11:32 PM
No one, unless there is someone to actually add. No player in TFC history has been given a real chance to adapt to a coach, a system and a consistent set of teammates. So leave it and give them at least some time to fit in under a stable environment. With Dero now gone and a chance to focus on the job there will be no excuses from here on out but seriously, shipping guys out the door every week isn't a way to build a team.

zorsofstesab
04-03-2011, 05:53 PM
The problem is asking our 2 central defenders to play a style that they truly cannot play. All there skills are in the air and when they have the ball on the foot they were taught at all ages to kick the ball 30 yards and were applauded as if the kick and run bullshit Bruce Wilson style of soccer was a great play as a central defender. They do not, I repeat do not have the skills to play ball to feet. So my next to go are Nana and Cann. We need a proven central defender as our next DP. Someone who understands the Winter way.

RedsYNWA
04-03-2011, 08:05 PM
anything but DR

Doucet3
04-04-2011, 01:50 AM
What a negative thread at a time when we need our fans backing our boys,

People saying:
Attakora - hes injured... Your really ripping on one of our best defenders?, and he's only 22, he's not leaving

JDG - Winter already stated he's going to be a key player, and I could see him fitting into this new system

Cann - this is kinda of a hard one I do see what people are saying about his Defensive play, he seems a bit...raw?, he just dosnt seem like he can play right

Peterson - he's a 50/50 player to me, 50% he's good and makes good moves on the pitch, 50% just ... What? Lol, I think he'll stay though till Zavarise takes his place mabie

Gargan - ... Really, Gargan plays pretty good, he might make mistakes but he's a solid player

Williams - ... really one game played...

Sturgis - he's Peterson but cheaper I see, actually he's kinda better

Now that's just my take on what some people have said.

maninb
04-04-2011, 07:33 AM
You can't get rid of Gargan or Harden until we have suitable replacements for them...Peterson is a decent player and Sturgis proved over the past 2 years that he's a very solid DM when played in the right position....

mdc 77
04-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Really, Gargan plays pretty good, he might make mistakes but he's a solid player

huh? He's a defender who makes mistakes...not sure how that makes him pretty good and solid. lol

Great guy but he is clearly not going to fit in to this system.

BeerBaron95
04-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Lots of ppl fit that bill ;)

this is funny as fuck LOL

I laughed too, its funny cause it's true!

Thrillos
04-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Peterson won't be playing as a DM anymore, because he isn't one he's a winger.

Zavarise, tchiani and Deguz will play at DM and fight for the 2 spots.

Sturgis won't see the field again, the only reason he came back after Winter booted him out of pre season camp was because we had no depth for the 2 DM roles Winter plays. He's garbage and he won't be back, he's the next player to go if we can trade him.

Gargan, as much i love his non stop fighting style on the field, the guy just has no natural skill and really makes me wonder how some players get paid to play.

I can tell you right now our next acquisition will be a CB, a proven CB that will command the back line, cause we have no one that can do that now.

Detroit_TFC
04-04-2011, 08:29 AM
The main criterion for staying or going will be how the player adapts to the system. Some will definitely go, I'm ok with that. It also means that mediocre players who fit in might stay.

If people are surprised that a team that has cycled through over 100 players and is implementing a whole new playing approach might continue changing personnel...

Nuvinho
04-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Nana was not taken out due to his injury as per Winter, it was because he wasn't in the game. Winter could of easily said that its because he was just coming back from injury and wanted to make sure he doesn't re-injure himself. But he basically said that its because he was playing bad.

How is this a negative thread? Its a thread that is needed, since Winter is cleaning house it seems. Next to go is Cann and Nana if they don't stop talking about their contracts (Nana hasn't done so in public).

With every new system, you need to get rid of dead weight, or players who can't fit in the system. So expect alot more players to go during this year, or before the start of next year. Then we may see things settle down.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Peterson won't be playing as a DM anymore, because he isn't one he's a winger.

Zavarise, tchiani and Deguz will play at DM and fight for the 2 spots.

Sturgis won't see the field again, the only reason he came back after Winter booted him out of pre season camp was because we had no depth for the 2 DM roles Winter plays. He's garbage and he won't be back, he's the next player to go if we can trade him.

Gargan, as much i love his non stop fighting style on the field, the guy just has no natural skill and really makes me wonder how some players get paid to play.

I can tell you right now our next acquisition will be a CB, a proven CB that will command the back line, cause we have no one that can do that now.

yep, all sounds about right to me

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Nana was not taken out due to his injury as per Winter, it was because he wasn't in the game . Winter could of easily said that its because he was just coming back from injury and wanted to make sure he doesn't re-injure himself. But he basically said that its because he was playing bad.

Source? Or your opinion..Just curious. That's info that deserves to be put out there.

Cann is the only one I'd like to see replaced. If he wants out I want him out. He's not giving us that much right now and he must see that TFC was a stepping stone into MLS and he got to play for the home team. He's gone.

kaos197O
04-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Source? Or your opinion..Just curious. That's info that deserves to be put out there.

Cann is the only one I'd like to see replaced. If he wants out I want him out. He's not giving us that much right now and he must see that TFC was a stepping stone into MLS and he got to play for the home team. He's gone.

It was in the post game presser on TFC TV.

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
^Thanks k.

ryan
04-04-2011, 10:46 AM

I saw it too. He said something like "Nana wasn't in the game" and his body language looked annoyed as he spoke of him.

Then again, it's hard to judge his 'dutchness' like that. I took it as a negative but I may not be understanding him.

jloome
04-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Given that we need roster depth, I can't see anyone I'd get rid of, unless we were getting a pick or something back.

If we HAD a choice of other players, and there's nothing to suggest we do, I'd never play Gargan at right back again.

Harden was beloved by Ruud Gullit and Winter respects Gullit. He can't trap a ball to save his life or pass, but his defending has been all right.

I'm concerned Nana is going to be the odd player out with this coach, the player he doesn't like for less-than-logical reasons. Given his soft-spoken demeanour, I can see them benching him and us losing him.

Walms
04-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Get Cann & Harden outa here. I would like to see Omphroy given a chance inslot of harden

Whoop
04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I can see people getting pissed at Stevanovic pretty soon.

ManUtd4ever
04-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Nana was not taken out due to his injury as per Winter, it was because he wasn't in the game. Winter could of easily said that its because he was just coming back from injury and wanted to make sure he doesn't re-injure himself. But he basically said that its because he was playing bad.

How is this a negative thread? Its a thread that is needed, since Winter is cleaning house it seems. Next to go is Cann and Nana if they don't stop talking about their contracts (Nana hasn't done so in public).

With every new system, you need to get rid of dead weight, or players who can't fit in the system. So expect alot more players to go during this year, or before the start of next year. Then we may see things settle down.

Agreed. Cann and Nana are solid centrebacks by MLS standards but they have both looked uncomfortable so far as a result of the increased pressure on them to effectively distribute the ball. I also believe that the DeRo controversy and susbsequent trade has taken a pyschological toll on both of them because they were all close friends off the pitch and firm supporters of DeRo's stance during contract negotiations.

I don't envision either of them with the club next season.

DichioTFC
04-05-2011, 12:23 PM
^ Interesting. With all the DeRo talk, nobody really mentioned how this affected specific guys on the team.

I don't think any players should go. Everyone on the club seems to have a role in Winter's system. Even the players mentioned (Sturgis, Peterson, Gargan, JDG), who would we replace them with?

I like the guys we have. Some more time to gel, and we could have a team of average players that win games - like most other MLS teams.

Section 117
04-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Replace the back four period. They are not professional grade period. None of them can make a pass or have an idea who to pass the ball to and when they do it is the most akward looking thing ever.

Winter needs to sign the replacements first and then adios to all if them cause none of these players would start on any other MLS team.

Fort York Redcoat
04-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Replace the back four with who? What 4 professionals are available? With the trouble we saw Winter grabbed a LB that was available.

maninb
04-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Replace the back four period. They are not professional grade period. None of them can make a pass or have an idea who to pass the ball to and when they do it is the most akward looking thing ever.

Winter needs to sign the replacements first and then adios to all if them cause none of these players would start on any other MLS team.

Nonsense....IMO we're one defender away from having a solid back line..let's see how we do with JDG and a partner at DM before panicking...

Gazza
04-05-2011, 01:41 PM

I think so too.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
me too and i hope im both wrong in thinking a) people are pissed with him b) he gives us a reason to be pissed with him

Gazza
04-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Between Stefanovic's body language and his many step-overs when there is no one on him, kinda scares me. But it's too early to make an assumption.

sashavukelich
04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
^^^ 2 games and people are pissed, jeez. Ive been a pompey (portsmouth) fan for 8 years now and i can't believe how reactionary people are in Toronto. Lets cheer the for the guy and put a little fire in his heart! Only then will see the best out of ANY of these players.

I worry Toronto will the be the victim of the need for 'instant gratification' from casual fans.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
agreed, way too early

Gazza
04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
^^^ 2 games and people are pissed, jeez. Ive been a pompey (portsmouth) fan for 8 years now and i can't believe how reactionary people are in Toronto. Lets cheer the for the guy and put a little fire in his heart! Only then will see the best out of ANY of these players.

I worry Toronto will the be the victim of the need for 'instant gratification' from casual fans.

That's probably why i added "too early." I'm still hoping he's going to work well down the left with yourass. I just haven't seen much to get excited about yet.

As far as optics are concerned, i do not want to watch the guy flail his arms in the air every time a pass goes astray or he doesn't get the service he thinks he should have. It's not too early to say that that will get old very fast. That's disheartening for everyone.

Section 117
04-05-2011, 02:12 PM
I am saying that in a perfect world I would toss all of the back four with the exception of Yourasky period. Of course better defenders need to be signed first. But IMO they play worse than amateurs back there it is disgusting that we have to pay to watch them.

It is also a lot easier to get players in the summer transfer window as they potentially be out of contract or teams deem them to be expendable. Our team will not be as good as we expect them to be with the back four as it stands. They stink period and anyone who can make an argument that they can start on another MLS team please provide as I know that there are many people that have the same opinion

Pachuco
04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
I am saying that in a perfect world I would toss all of the back four with the exception of Yourasky period. Of course better defenders need to be signed first. But IMO they play worse than amateurs back there it is disgusting that we have to pay to watch them.

It is also a lot easier to get players in the summer transfer window as they potentially be out of contract or teams deem them to be expendable. Our team will not be as good as we expect them to be with the back four as it stands. They stink period and anyone who can make an argument that they can start on another MLS team please provide as I know that there are many people that have the same opinion

I don't think you are greatly over-exagerating how bad Cann, Nana and Williams are.

I actually think you are dead wrong :)

Whoop
04-05-2011, 02:27 PM
agreed, way too early

Agreed.

It's too early, but you could see people turning on him on Saturday.

Especially given the expectations placed on him.

ryan
04-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Why?

Because Santos didn't pass him the ball? Because he hasn't scored any goals during the ten days he's been in Canada?

Geez.

scooterTFC
04-05-2011, 03:55 PM

I think this is extreme reaction. Cann and Attakora seemed sound for much of last season. It remains to be seen if they can adapt to the style of play that a new coach is trying to implement. Its possible that they might not fit-in with the direction that this team is headed, but they both probably have the quality to play in this league. As they're hometown guys I think its only natural for many of many supporters to favour them and hope that things work out at this club. I'd count myself as someone who hopes they figure in the plans on the field and are able settle outstanding contract issues.

Getting traded doesn't mean the player sucks... just means they might not fit in with our team. Many supporters complained that Wynne was just sprinter trying play RB. Preki didn't see a fit and Wynne was dealt. It turns out that he was good player enough to start at CB for a the team that won the MLS Cup.

I also question how Yourasky can be the favored exception after a less then 2 games on field. He showed well and I hope he continues to perform but we've had far less time to observe him then others.

Whoop
04-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Why?

Because Santos didn't pass him the ball? Because he hasn't scored any goals during the ten days he's been in Canada?

Geez.

LOL

It's just an observation on my end.

I'm not pissed at Stevanovic. LOL

Section 117
04-05-2011, 04:22 PM
I guess I am watching a completely different game then the most of you. Nanna, Cann, Harden and Gargan are useless passing a ball. It is rarely a comfortable pass to the feet of the players. Last year they played kick ball where all they would do 90% of the time is hoof the ball down field. To play a possession style game one of the most paramount things defenders need to do is make the right pass and 3 games into the season and none of them seem to be able to do it.

They each have good qualities, but their weaknesses out weigh the good for TFC to move forward. Yorassky and Williams the jury is still out on them, but for the rest of them the faster we find better replacements the faster TFC becomes more competitive.

If I was an opposing coach I would pressure the back four in their end and one of twp things would happen horrendous give aways or they would lose possession my sending a long ball forward.

That being said I do not expect world class defenders, but I expect decent passing from our players and it looks bush league to me. Think of it this way would you pay $60 - $80 a ticket to watch them play where if you watch the academy for $5 you get the same mistakes and sloppiness? We must not accept mediocrity and I am sorry the back four is by far the poorest part of this team and has been since the start.

One last point anyone who thinks Nanna is one step away from Europe is mistaken, as there are too many holes in his game at this point. He can't even make the CMNT so to expect him to leave for Europe is a huge stretch to put it nicely.

69Chevy396
04-05-2011, 04:40 PM
The defenders are too stationary. They appear to want to play a possession game, but after Frei throws the ball to one of them, instead of moving forward a few yards and then pass off to another defender, or mid, they stop, take a look, and pass it back to Frei. When not under pressure they need to move forward, forcing an opponent to lose his mark, and then take this opportunity to feed a pass to a midfielder....good teams do this all the time, if they cannot get this right, we are doomed to the alternative: booting the ball down the pitch and hoping for a goal off of a Gargan long throw in...now that is exciting stuff.

pekduck
04-05-2011, 04:40 PM
I guess I am watching a completely different game then the most of you. Nanna, Cann, Harden and Gargan are useless passing a ball. It is rarely a comfortable pass to the feet of the players. Last year they played kick ball where all they would do 90% of the time is hoof the ball down field. To play a possession style game one of the most paramount things defenders need to do is make the right pass and 3 games into the season and none of them seem to be able to do it.

They each have good qualities, but their weaknesses out weigh the good for TFC to move forward. Yorassky and Williams the jury is still out on them, but for the rest of them the faster we find better replacements the faster TFC becomes more competitive.

If I was an opposing coach I would pressure the back four in their end and one of twp things would happen horrendous give aways or they would lose possession my sending a long ball forward.

That being said I do not expect world class defenders, but I expect decent passing from our players and it looks bush league to me. Think of it this way would you pay $60 - $80 a ticket to watch them play where if you watch the academy for $5 you get the same mistakes and sloppiness? We must not accept mediocrity and I am sorry the back four is by far the poorest part of this team and has been since the start.

One last point anyone who thinks Nanna is one step away from Europe is mistaken, as there are too many holes in his game at this point. He can't even make the CMNT so to expect him to leave for Europe is a huge stretch to put it nicely.

agreed with this observation and perspective :hump:

scooterTFC
04-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I wonder if Sturgis will get a look at FB? He hasn't looked good at DM but I believe he got in more games at LB than DM with the sounders.