PDA

View Full Version : Official Dero Appreciation Thread

romburgundy
04-02-2011, 08:02 AM
I for one will miss him and look forward to seeing some silverware in his hands come gold cup time. We will miss you captain Dero.
Not sure how I'm going to break the news to my son.

Any Plans to chant for him at today's game?

Carts
04-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Well this thread will probably open a can of worms...

king dave
04-02-2011, 08:05 AM
I don't have a can opener.
KD.

Nuvinho
04-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Great on the field performance!!

Gazza
04-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Before the can of worms opens up...Thanks for the memories Dwayne! See you at the Gold Cup.

Carts
04-02-2011, 08:10 AM
I don't have a can opener.
KD.

GOOD! :D

celt-nick
04-02-2011, 08:32 AM
We had a great player and now he's gone,
Dero was his name-O......

So long Dwayne

TFC Cityboy
04-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the memories, Dwayne. Sorry it didn't work out the way it should have done.

werewolf
04-02-2011, 08:37 AM
All-time franchise leading scorer, and it will be that way for the foreseeable future. Always played with heart, had great things to say about the fans, helped out in the community. One silly act which he apologized for, I won't hold it against him. Contract talks are headaches for front offices, not me if he is giving 100% on the field.

I will never forget Montreal.

Carts
04-02-2011, 08:38 AM
All-time franchise leading scorer, and it will be that way for the foreseeable future. Always played with heart, had great things to say about the fans, helped out in the community. One silly act which he apologized for, I won't hold it against him. Contract talks are headaches for front offices, not me if he is giving 100% on the field.

Well said...

menefreghista
04-02-2011, 08:52 AM
I will miss De Rosario.

I wish we could have kept him. I though he had a lot to offer our team for at least a few more years.

I don't think he will be easy to replace, but I will be pleasantly surprised otherwise.

TFCRegina
04-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Montreal 2009 was my first TFC match. I don't think I'll ever quite see something like what happened.

Nuvinho
04-02-2011, 09:00 AM
I am going to miss his strut dance after each goal.

Good Luck DeRo (only when you play against the Crew, and not against us ;) )

Whoop
04-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Good luck in New York Dwayne. It's a shame it couldn't work out here but thanks for giving the supporters things to cheer about while on the pitch.

swan
04-02-2011, 09:13 AM
will be missed great player...

good luck in NY or should i say new jersey..

Oblio2
04-02-2011, 09:28 AM
GL and we'll miss you.

scooterTFC
04-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I for one will miss him and look forward to seeing some silverware in his hands come gold cup time. We will miss you captain Dero.
Not sure how I'm going to break the news to my son.

Any Plans to chant for him at today's game?

I hear you, my 5 year old cried when I told him.

Great player, hometown hero and a real positive role model who was inspiring kids in the city to love the game. The loss is greater then the goals he scored. Having him play in toronto was important for the future of the game in this country.

backbeat
04-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Great player, glad when he came to Toronto, really sorry it ended this way....

i'll clap for him when he first returns to our pitch loudly but after that he's one of them.....thanks DeRo!!

rocker
04-02-2011, 10:07 AM
here's a song for the De Ro fans.... i feel for ya...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZeN38cpceI

Super Cereal
04-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Please take your extremely lame goal celebration with you.

Fushida
04-02-2011, 10:21 AM

seriously? in a fucking appreciation thread? take that shit to the 30 other threads we have open.

not his biggest fan but he gave it all for the team and sad to see a hometown guy leave under such bad circumstances... all the best to him in NYC

jloome
04-02-2011, 10:37 AM

Good luck, DeRo. Sorry we couldn't all be civil and show some class.

Wull
04-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks for what you did on the pitch and your charity work etc. off it. The rest is why you're leaving without us marching on mlse hq to protest

torontocelt
04-02-2011, 11:13 AM
DeRo is a legend, thanks for all the memories and good luck for the future. I would love to see him back at TFC in the future.

ag futbol
04-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I hope he does well.

Only wish it could have worked out better here in toronto.

Roogsy
04-02-2011, 11:24 AM
I am beginning to believe the supporters of other teams accusing TFC fans as having no class.

My feelings about DeRo are obvious. Best player TFC has ever had. Run out of town. He will add to his legend in NY.

Stryker
04-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks for answering a question for us DeRo... the exact value of a sports legecy for a hometown player.
Guess we'll find out when the players salary report is updated.

Sell out.

Gazza
04-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks for answering a question for us DeRo... the exact value of a sports legecy for a hometown player.
Guess we'll find out when the players salary report is updated.

Sell out.

Couldn't help yourself, could you? Stay classy.

Super Cereal
04-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Couldn't help yourself, could you? Stay classy.

Just like he classed his way to New York. CLASS CLASS CLASS

Heart of Stone
04-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Great role-model for kids all across Toronto but especially from Scarborough. He never forgets his roots. A proud individual who proves that you can take the boy out of Malvern but not Malvern out of the boy...

QSIM
04-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the memories, I hope you lose every match 4-3 with a hat trick.

Heart of Stone
04-02-2011, 01:05 PM
How many players is a team which has never made the playoffs allowed to put on their Wall of Honour?

If there is no limit DeRo should be up there with Dichio and Brennan...

Number Nine
04-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Though his stay in Toronto was not without controversy, what mattered most was his contributions on the field. He leaves as TFC's all-time leading goal scorer (albeit our history is not very long), and his hat trick in Montreal captured our first piece of silverware.

trane
04-02-2011, 01:29 PM
He delivered on the pitch, gave it his all. He did great by us. I was not a "fan" like De Roogsy. BUT I certainly I did appreciate what he brought, and was sadened at the reaction of many at him leaving. I realy to not think the hate was justified.

harrietgate
04-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Very sad to hear he is going. There were many bleak games where he managed to come through and score. He gave it his all. And the fact that he is a local guy makes it even more disappointing.:(

FluSH
04-02-2011, 03:15 PM
On Behalf of my Family, I wish to say Thank You DeRo. Your thoughtful gesture at the Home Opener was highly unexpected, but showed the personal connection between players and supporters. When one of our own had fallen - you were there. I will never forget that, and for this I Thank You.

-FluSH
RPB Main Capo

Cuchulain
04-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Thank you Dero for your efforts. You were one of the bright spots on our team; a player who represented hope. We always had a chance of winning when you were playing. Remember us fondly, please. At least for a time we can say you were ours.

OurGame
04-02-2011, 05:17 PM
On Behalf of my Family, I wish to say Thank You DeRo. Your thoughtful gesture at the Home Opener was highly unexpected, but showed the personal connection between players and supporters. When one of our own had fallen - you were there. I will never forget that, and for this I Thank You.

-FluSH
RPB Main Capo

Regards Flush / you are spot on, Dero is like the rest of us Human!! and what he did will be my lasting memory of him in TO ..

My thoughts have been with you Flush / ..
god bless

BayernTFC
04-02-2011, 05:47 PM
His passion for the game and desire to win will be missed. I never worried about the efforts from DeRo when he was on the pitch. Red Bull has acquired a good player. Best of luck to you in New York.

Cashcleaner
04-02-2011, 06:05 PM

No further elaboration is necessary. Farewell and Good Luck, Dwayne.

Yohan
04-02-2011, 06:19 PM
I will not miss his drama off the pitch, but I will always appreciate his hard work on the pitch.

C.Ronaldo
04-02-2011, 07:52 PM
im a dero fan through and through.

some of the old school gentlemen here dont seem appreciate his flamboyance, but i sure do.

he scores goals, he talks the talk and walks the walk.

the dero haters on here wouldn't be happy with Ronaldo on their team because he shows off.

give me the best players who entertain me. thats all i want

I for one will be purchasing a Dero Red Bulls jersey, he has my 100% support.

mar1960
04-02-2011, 08:57 PM
goodbye

ensco
04-02-2011, 09:43 PM
^You guys are being jerks.

Even if you hate him...we got more back for him as a 32 year old, than we paid for him as a 30 year old, which is remarkable, and a tribute to his production here.

Also, it's impossible to deny that he was (at least sometimes) an entertaining, exciting player.

Shakes McQueen
04-02-2011, 09:53 PM
I appreciate his contributions on the pitch. We never made the playoffs in his time here, but we did get further than we ever had before, and he was certainly a big part of that.

I think everything leading to his exit from Toronto has been less than inspiring all around, from everyone involved.

At the end of the day, I think a trade out of here was probably the best solution for all involved. Winter couldn't give DeRo what he wanted, and as a result, it seemed like DeRo was simply never going to be happy playing for the management here. When the water has been tainted like that, sometimes the only thing to do is make a clean break.

We got a decent return from the trade, and hopefully the financial breathing room to bring in more help.

- Scott

Alonso
04-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I am beginning to believe the supporters of other teams accusing TFC fans as having no class.

My feelings about DeRo are obvious. Best player TFC has ever had. Run out of town. He will add to his legend in NY.

I could give a shit about this weird made-up princple of "class" that somehow requires people to be ignorant of facts. I will take truth any day over this misplaced sense of honour that doesn't benefit the fan in the least.

You can't have it both ways Roogsy.

I will definitely miss what Dero brought to the field day in and day out.

I forget which goal it was after in Montreal, but after one of the goals dero grabbed the ball and ran to the centre of the pitch and slammed the ball down as if to say "let's get going here guys! Lets win this!"

His best moment imo while with us... good luck to you in New York Dwayne, all the best.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-02-2011, 10:17 PM
The fact that we've traded the best player this franchise have ever had and paid to have play for a division rival is an outrage. I could give a rat's ass what he did off the pitch…on it, he was the best. If Danny and Jimmy are the "Wall of Honour" benchmarks, Dwayne's name should be up there next week. It will be all time before we get a player with his raw talent.

We were fortunate to have seen him in a TFC jersey. Good Dero and thank you.

2mil4dero+santo
04-02-2011, 10:25 PM
What a clusterf*%^k, we managed to lose the best player in mls, now we're worse than Chivas, we're nothing without dero, I only hope we are getting someone of similar caliber to replace him.

Shakes McQueen
04-02-2011, 10:38 PM
What a clusterf*%^k, we managed to lose the best player in mls, now we're worse than Chivas, we're nothing without dero, I only hope we are getting someone of similar caliber to replace him.

...the best player in MLS?

- Scott

Klinsmann
04-02-2011, 11:03 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/b5/fullj.4bfa27f1b69a5eaf784979cf59b64f11/4bfa27f1b69a5eaf784979cf59b64f11-getty-109261403ch170_houston_dyna.jpg

Hitcho
04-02-2011, 11:12 PM
On the pitch - quite simply the best player we've ever had in terms of ability and on field product, record scorer by a distance, local boy, club captain and dragged us single handedly to that first trophy in Montreal.

Off the pitch - dedicated to the local community, a gentleman to fans and committed to kids programs.

When you consider all that, it's kind of ridiculous to think he was traded to the shite bulls because of a squabble over whether MLSE had to pay him a tiny, miniscule percentage of the teachers' pension plan profits that would quite literally have been a drop in the ocean to them. I'm not saying he handled that issue in the best way, but it's amazing (and tragic) that it came to this.

He should be on that wall of honour, whether he'll ever get there is doubtful after the way he left.

wzhxvy
04-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Dero, thanks for playing with passion and carrying the team on your back on so many occassions. You will be missed and your contributions to the team were significant. I will always remember your performance in Montreal. Best of luck and I hope that you can return to TFC in some capacity in the future.

Hitcho
04-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Two of the best midfielders we ever had are now playing for the shite bulls.

Ugh.

Roogsy
04-03-2011, 12:26 AM
You can't have it both ways Roogsy.

I'm not. I don't have to buy into that concept in order to point out the hypocrisy on the part of those demanding it.

Alonso
04-03-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm not. I don't have to buy into that concept in order to point out the hypocrisy on the part of those demanding it.
:picard:

TFCRegina
04-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Best part about this whole deal? Saves us basically no cap space, because once again, TFC gets suckered into eating salary. I don't know how we fall for this shit every time.

backbeat
04-03-2011, 12:44 AM

Run out of town?

believing the supporters of other teams suggesting TFC supporters have no class?

i hope you've been up too late and this is a tired mind speaking....

actually form a logic perspective - i believe what Winter said in his post game interview - he was very clear - they offered DeRo what they thought was a good contract. they could not offer him DP status and DeRo asked for the trade.

anyway this should not be discussed in this thread - deRo has immense talent, was brilliant on TFC - sad it didn't work out here but TFC remains and this to shall pass....

backbeat
04-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Best part about this whole deal? Saves us basically no cap space, because once again, TFC gets suckered into eating salary. I don't know how we fall for this shit every time.

and where do you get this from? - i guess you're saying Winter is a liar then? because he clearly stated that part of the trade was 2 good prospects and cap space

CretanBull
04-03-2011, 01:35 AM
This is a DeRo appreciation thread, not a place to bitch or debate.

He's the best player that we've ever had, and will be GREATLY missed.

TFCRegina
04-03-2011, 02:09 AM
and where do you get this from? - i guess you're saying Winter is a liar then? because he clearly stated that part of the trade was 2 good prospects and cap space

Oh sure, we got cap space, just not very much.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/04/02/sp-new-york-houston.html

With Toronto picking up a major chunk of the midfielder's approximate $473,750 US salary, the Red Bulls still have their third designated player slot available. But it is now unlikely they will pick up another high-priced star.

fiji_blue
04-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Saw the Ives interview, sounds like the direction of MLSE to rebuild every year was the main reason of the conflict the contract just an excuse...

rocker
04-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Oh sure, we got cap space, just not very much.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/04/02/sp-new-york-houston.html

how much is not very much? we don't know.

also, it's unclear how much of the salary is against the cap and how much is paid for by allocation, and how much TFC is paying of each. Even if TFC is paying 250K of the total capped amount (which would be a large amount in MLS terms), that still leaves almost 100K this season against the cap.

GBV
04-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the memories, I hope you lose every match 4-3 with a hat trick.

:hump::hump::hump:

boomcha
04-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Remember how excited we all were that day when Dero became a member of TFC?

Well my disappointment on Friday was that times 100.
I really hoped that Dero would have become a hometown hero and retire here.
I haven't seen anyone else at TFC show the commitment to take this team far like he did. The Montreal Miracle was pretty much all of his doing and more recently the Vancouver response goal was typical Dero, bringing us up when the team just got cut down and humiliated.

My friends and I already showed my support for the man on Saturday by flying our "Brap Brap" 2 stick made with heart 2 years ago.

I know a lot of people are harping on the guy for his cheque/Celtic semantics but seriously if you were working your ass off at your job, getting results, leading the team and getting paid 1/4 of what your co-worker (that basically does f-all except accept a paycheque) wouldn't you speak up and demand a little recognition?

No sense in arguing. Some of you liked him and some of you didn't.

I truly believe that he wanted to lead the Toronto FC that we love to greatness but was hampered by the BS from the clowns at the FO.

I respect the man and won't boo him when he comes back and plays us. That is just childish.

Remember that night in Montreal!

jazzy
04-03-2011, 09:06 PM
fuck him, he's an asshole!

the word appreciation: recognition of quality, value, signifigance or magnitude of people or things; .....................as quoted by Richard Dawkins from his online hate e-mail thread.....in three words " you are a fool"

Juanito
04-03-2011, 09:48 PM
De Rosario gave me many opportunities to celebrate and in his first year, gave me hope that we could amount to something. I certainly, will never forget that.

It's a shame we couldn't work something out. Thanks for everything!

ilikemusic
04-03-2011, 09:48 PM

I haven't seen anyone else at TFC show the commitment to take this team far like he did. The Montreal Miracle was pretty much all of his doing and more recently the Vancouver response goal was typical Dero, bringing us up when the team just got cut down and humiliated.

My friends and I already showed my support for the man on Saturday by flying our "Brap Brap" 2 stick made with heart 2 years ago.

I know a lot of people are harping on the guy for his cheque/Celtic semantics but seriously if you were working your ass off at your job, getting results, leading the team and getting paid 1/4 of what your co-worker (that basically does f-all except accept a paycheque) wouldn't you speak up and demand a little recognition?

I truly believe that he wanted to lead the Toronto FC that we love to greatness but was hampered by the BS from the clowns at the FO.

I respect the man and won't boo him when he comes back and plays us. That is just childish.

Well said.

Juanito
04-03-2011, 09:50 PM
My wife loved him .... she's still pretty pissed off about the whole situation. She couldn't give a flying fuck about the money situation, to her the fact that we traded away our best player, bar none, to her, means we are a bloody mess!

Redcoe15
04-04-2011, 12:29 AM
DeRo was the best player this team ever had. I will never forget watching him practically carry the team in Montreal for their first ever trophy. The greatest moment in club history for sure. I can't say I was too pleased with the way he handled his contract demands, but he gave it his all everytime he stepped onto the pitch wearing the team colours. He wanted to be here, and it's sad the way it ended.

Best of luck to ya DeRo (except for when you play against our side ;)).

Mo Johnston, burn in hell!

TFCRegina
04-04-2011, 12:34 AM
My wife loved him .... she's still pretty pissed off about the whole situation. She couldn't give a flying fuck about the money situation, to her the fact that we traded away our best player, bar none, to her, means we are a bloody mess!

As I said to Roogsy:

Since when was it ok to write off entire seasons?

I will never understand the concept of "rebuilding" years. You build the best team you can in any given year. Rebuilding is usually a cop out phrase used by organizations trying to dodge any sort of responsibility.

I'm sick of rebuilding. It's time to start winning. It's time for results.

And we just wrote off the season...again!

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I was Ecstatic when DeRo came home to play for Toronto. His attitude has been debated but his contribution was not.

Thank you DeRo and I'm glad I can continue to sing for you in the Canada squad!

GlenM
04-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for everything DeRo.

Best of luck and Respect!

GlenM

LCB
04-04-2011, 01:21 PM

To this I say... BRRRRRAKAKKAKAKAKAKAKAKKA!

BRAP BRAP! MALVERN WHAT?!?!

He will be sorely missed. That picture of him on Goal.com in a RBNY strip brought a tear to my eye.

Walms
04-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Thank god for this thread,

Dero you will be missed, Thanks for all you have done for Toronto and Best of luck in your future
your hands down one of the best player to ever dawn a TFC shirt!!

Derko
04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Yes Dero will be missed by many supporters.

Keegan
04-04-2011, 04:11 PM
The only things this club has ever achieved have been because of DeRo...

He scored the biggest goals in club history vs. Montreal and Motagua
2 Nutrilite player of the tourney awards
100% effort always, our leader, our all time goal leader, our hometown captain forever

Roogsy
04-05-2011, 12:13 AM
And now that DeRo has left we will go back to not winning anything at all. I predict we won't even be able to defend our Voyageurs Cup.

DeRo will always be more Toronto than most of the players and coaches that Toronto parades through BMO Field. Born and raised here, he loves this city and he wanted to be here, unlike most players and coaches who jet out of town the first chance they get. He represents those of us that weren't brought up with silver spoons in our mouths and had to scratch our way to success and earned every nickel and penny we ever made.

I was once proud to be a public and active supporter of TFC. But after seeing how we have bent over for TFC once again and allowed them to bilk us into another multi-year building plan where while we wait we will continue to suck, I am embarrassed I have put so much time and effort into promoting this team. I am unmotivated to continue killing myself over this team who could not give two shits about their fans.

This thread has died a miserable death just like the appreciation thread for the gesture last week. Like I said, the good stuff gets ignored or dismissed and it's the bad stuff that we choose to obsessively concentrate on. Instead of defending our captain, we handed the team the bullet that ended his career in this city. We sided with the Empire on this one and it disgusts me.

This is the last word I will say on DeRo for good. Now on to talk about how Winter is going to save TFC with his total football strategy using players who can't pass for their fucking lives.

Waggy
04-05-2011, 12:24 AM
He's a hell of a finisher. I appreciate the work he put in on the pitch over the years. I'll never forget Montreal.

Thanks for all the other contributions too Dero, but I won't exactly be missing you or wishing well for you in NY. When I think of Dero I think of Dec 26 2010 to now first, and Montreal 2nd. And that probably won't ever change. I hope one day you figure out a way to patch things up with Toronto FC fans.

Waggy
04-05-2011, 12:52 AM
And now that DeRo has left we will go back to not winning anything at all. I predict we won't even be able to defend our Voyageurs Cup.

DeRo will always be more Toronto than most of the players and coaches that Toronto parades through BMO Field. Born and raised here, he loves this city and he wanted to be here, unlike most players and coaches who jet out of town the first chance they get. He represents those of us that weren't brought up with silver spoons in our mouths and had to scratch our way to success and earned every nickel and penny we ever made.

I was once proud to be a public and active supporter of TFC. But after seeing how we have bent over for TFC once again and allowed them to bilk us into another multi-year building plan where while we wait we will continue to suck, I am embarrassed I have put so much time and effort into promoting this team. I am unmotivated to continue killing myself over this team who could not give two shits about their fans.

This thread has died a miserable death just like the appreciation thread for the gesture last week. Like I said, the good stuff gets ignored or dismissed and it's the bad stuff that we choose to obsessively concentrate on. Instead of defending our captain, we handed the team the bullet that ended his career in this city. We sided with the Empire on this one and it disgusts me.

This is the last word I will say on DeRo for good. Now on to talk about how Winter is going to save TFC with his total football strategy using players who can't pass for their fucking lives.

Quick question for you Roogs: Say on Jan 1st Toronto FC transfered Dero to Celtic for 500k pounds, is that preferable to Toronto FC moving Dero to NYRB for 2 actual players? I don't know about for Dero, but for Toronto FC the Red Bulls deal was a WAY better deal. The club took lemons and made lemon-aid. It may not have been pretty, and it certainly wasn't fun, but we didn't lose our best player for nothing. We actually got a real good return for him. Which is pretty rare in sports. For every Carmelo Anthony or Halladay trade there's a Lebron, Bosh, KG, Gasol, CC Sabathia, (insert half of Yankees and Red Sox trades here). We, toronto fc, did really really well for ourselves given the situation.

I get that you care deeply about Dero, but this is why your statements on the subject aren't accepted as fact and you're getting frustrated- clearly you are far too emotionally involved to be looking at the situation and making objective claims. If someone was just as passionate about MLSE, you wouldn't exactly take their word as gospel about the Dero negotiations right? We'll never really know the whole story about what happened, that includes you as well, but letting the Dero situation ruin your season isn't going to help anything. For all intensive purposes TFC may as well be an expansion franchise that began assembling a roster on Jan 1st. No-ones asking you to believe Winter is some sort of god, but give him a fair shake. Thus far I can't point out a single misstep (ignoring the Dero fiasco, which I personally think he handled excellently, but that's just me) he's made. Give him and Mariner a chance. They made a fantastic deal for Dero despite having absolutely no leverage whatsoever. Imagine what they could do with 12 whole months. I respect the way you've defended Dero for all these months, but the battles over. There's nothing to keep fighting for.

And we didn't know this year would be a rebuilding year? We didn't know there was absolutely no foundation for a team at the end of last year? We knew. We all knew. There may have been some people who were in denial about how last year ended, but this team was terrible last year. Rebuilding wasn't an option that was selected and forced down our throats. I don't even think we can call it rebuilding, rebuilding implies there was previously something there and it's being rebuilt. Toronto FC has been BUILDING for 4 years. The unfortunate thing is as long as the foundation keeps collapsing, they have to try and redo it. What else can they do?

menefreghista
04-05-2011, 06:34 AM

I agree.

The management of this team ran our best player ever out of town and people are bending over backwards to defend the FO. An FO that still hasn't proven it has its shit together. Its so sad.

TFC may have managed to bilk the hardcore, ultra-dedicated supporter group type fan but it is now abundantly clear that they have lost a large chunk of the casual fan support. Those people feel ripped off and don't trust the idiots that are in charge. Lowering prices and winning may not be enough to get those people back.

Hey, but we have a Dutch guy running the team, so everything will work out.

Menelaos
04-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Quality will once again play with quality now.

DeRo gets to play with Marquez and Henry. They are now my favorites to win it all, and when NY gives him DP $ we'll see that it was only idiots in Toronto that didn't know his true worth.

Good luck on that 5th Championship...ironic it will come on our 5th year, the year it was decided our best player wasn't worth keeping on this crappy team.

boban
04-05-2011, 07:18 AM
And now that DeRo has left we will go back to not winning anything at all. I predict we won't even be able to defend our Voyageurs Cup.Little much since we haven't had a great record with VWCFC while they were in the USL (us having Dero), now that they are in the MLS I would expect stiffer competition.

Man you are one bitter fuck. Have a drink and walk away for a bit.
Next time, don't have high aspirations of that company - the crash and fall down then won't be so painful.

Roogsy
04-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Little much since we haven't had a great record with VWCFC while they were in the USL (us having Dero), now that they are in the MLS I would expect stiffer competition.

Man you are bitter. Have a drink and walk away for a bit.
Next time, don't have high aspirations of that company - the crash and fall down then won't be so painful.

Meh...I got it off my chest. I've made a decision, I am ok with it.

This is not about DeRo. I am actually happy for the man, he's able to move on. I don't have that choice. I can't cheer for another team. I am a Torontonian through and through and my only choice is this poorly run team. But this whole drama was just the final straw. People who know me know I was fed up with this organization at the end of last year. The way they've handled themselves since them tells me there is no reason to have confidence going forward.

I once said that the worst thing that could happen to a die-hard fan like me was to become apathetic. Well, it's happened. I've given up seasons tickets, I've cut back my TFC spending to bare minimum, there wasn't much left to do but to just say I've had enough. The way people accept that we have to be shit this year tells me that MLSE can keep shoveling crap down our throats and we will thank them for it. I'd rather not help thank you.

Oldtimer
04-05-2011, 07:36 AM
In the end, it's just a sports team, and sports should be just a small part of life.

Take some time out.... you'll feel better.

ManUtd4ever
04-05-2011, 08:04 AM
DeRo was the most talented, charismatic player to ever lace up the cleats for TFC. As a homegrown player that we were all familiar with, it made it that much easier to support him when he arrived in Toronto.

DeRo provided many exciting, memorable moments during a period of turmoil and futility for this franchise. It is unfortunate that his relationship with the front office deteriorated over a contract dispute that escalated during the course of his tenure, culminating in a mutual desire to move on for both parties.

Thanks for the memories DeRo.

Juanito
04-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Roogsy, it sucks that you feel apathetic, but I don't blame you.

I don't want to be like a LEAF fan, who will take it up the ass and ask for more. TFC is heading down the same direction.

I'm hoping this is a quick turn-around. I'm not sure my sanity can take any more disappointment.

JuliquE
04-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Being of Guyanese background, myself, it was always special to see an in-form DeRo playing his game.

It was a strange feeling, the way everything ended up.. but I feel like, new management or not, this wasn't to work itself out and the resulting trade was necessary for both sides to go on to better things.

Real shame and I can't put into words how angry I am with Mo for leading us to this, though there's no sense in lamenting on it further.

I hope he does well and, as much as I was disappointed in some things, I will try to remember that he's only human.

Thanks for the memories, both good and bad; can't say I wouldn't endure the whole experience all over again, were it to end the same way (glad he was here).

Belfast_Boy
04-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Best player we've had and probably will have for a long time.
He's local, talented and emotional, nobody worked harder on the pitch.
As a supporter this hurt and further damaged what little respect I have for the organization.

tfcleeds
04-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Best of luck Dero. Can't say I wish your new team well, but I wish you success (except when you play us).

Best player we've had by a mile. A true Torontonian, shame that things didn't work out. This organization is so fucked up, it doesn't realize what it has until its gone (and even then, I'm not so sure).

ilikemusic
04-05-2011, 06:33 PM

I dont know if it is a matter of focsuing more on negatives than positives. Its really more a matter of volume. There is always bad news to talk about. When was the last time we had actual good news to talk about? The firing of Mo & Preki? And even then, that was only 'good news' because of how terrible everything was.

I dont think people are focusing on the negative. Its just that there is so little that is actually positive.

KezmanCCCC
04-05-2011, 08:08 PM
sad to see dero go... by far one of my top 5 fav players so far at this club.... i wish him luck and cant wait to watch him with the NT come june at the gold cup.... wish things could have worked out but this club will move on....

Juanito
04-05-2011, 09:59 PM
This club will move on, but this will definitely leave a bitter taste in people's mouth. More than ever, this team needs to start GIVING BACK TO THEIR FANS.

If only MLSE got their heads out of their asses and realize that we aren't LEAF NATION and there is only so much crap we can take before we walk away.

Juanito
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Best player we've had and probably will have for a long time.
He's local, talented and emotional, nobody worked harder on the pitch.
As a supporter this hurt and further damaged what little respect I have for the organization.

You mean the MLSE disorganization?

Boris
04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
This club will move on, but this will definitely leave a bitter taste in people's mouth. More than ever, this team needs to start GIVING BACK TO THEIR FANS.

If only MLSE got their heads out of their asses and realize that we aren't LEAF NATION and there is only so much crap we can take before we walk away.

BAM.
i agree 100% with you.

While they may claim they 'get it' now. I have only seen a few moves that show this.

In the grand scheme of things even outsiders and friends of supporters are telling FO they need treat us better.

Things arent horrible but theyre not ideal.

Juanito
04-05-2011, 10:09 PM
BAM.
i agree 100% with you.

While they may claim they 'get it' now. I have only seen a few moves that show this.

In the grand scheme of things even outsiders and friends of supporters are telling FO they need treat us better.

There are professional ways to handle things and there are just ways that make you sceptical of the organization. DeRo was no saint, but MLSE should have handled this better.

You can make an argument that this was more detrimental from a PR point-of-view than Bosh. The truth is that we (the TFC fan) are a drop in the bucket compared to the Leafs, Raptors, and their real estate endeavours.

scooterTFC
04-06-2011, 08:26 AM
There are professional ways to handle things and there are just ways that make you sceptical of the organization. DeRo was no saint, but MLSE should have handled this better.

You can make an argument that this was more detrimental from a PR point-of-view than Bosh. The truth is that we (the TFC fan) are a drop in the bucket compared to the Leafs, Raptors, and their real estate endeavours.

I respect the fact he came hear and played hard. I'm sad it didn't work out. And I think he deserves some respect for taking the chance to rep his hometown team. I don't see relatively higher paid NHL players showing that kind of civic pride. TFC and the Leafs have been equally
uncompetitive over the last 4 years. Dero was the only hometown guy stepping up to the challenge to change the fortunes of either club.

Respect to Caremelo Anthony for following his heart back to NYC. No doubt its a combination of heart and ego that draws guys like this back to their hometown teams... it takes guts to put yourself out there like this. Contrast guys like Dero and Anthony who are chasing that hometown hero dream with the others.... "I'll be taking my talents to South Beach".

Interesting that there are far more Toronto born and raised NHL players than soccer players, disapointing to see none of them chasing the boyhood dream of winning for the hometown. Perhaps NHL players already know what Dero just learned - MLSE is a bad employer to work for. At this point does MLSE now have a tarnished reputation with players in all three leagues in which they own franchises?

Belfast_Boy
04-06-2011, 08:39 AM
BAM.
i agree 100% with you.

sorry to go off topic, but considering what's happened to the Leafs AGAIN I need to say it.

I hope they "get it" but I honestly think it's bullshit.

this is the 6th year the Leafs haven't made the playoffs and they are the biggest part of the MLSE empire. if they don't give a shit about the buds the question must be asked, how can they care about TFC?

good luck in NYC Dero. I hope you don't win a thing but I'm positive you'll have another championship before we make the playoffs.

ensco
04-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Interesting that there are far more Toronto born and raised NHL players than soccer players, disapointing to see none of them chasing the boyhood dream of winning for the hometown. Perhaps NHL players already know what Dero just learned - MLSE is a bad employer to work for. At this point does MLSE now have a tarnished reputation with players in all three leagues in which they own franchises?

This has been discussed to death over at tmlfans.ca

The prevailing sense is that MLSE isn't really the root cause of the inability to get free agents, it's the pressure of playing in Toronto and living under the microscope that's the issue. There are a lot of star hockey players whose wives would rather that they live in a New Jersey or a Nashville, so that they can go out to dinner once in a while, not have their kids hounded at school etc.

But who knows...

Whoop
04-06-2011, 09:46 AM
^^
Especially when the team isn't doing well.

So it's more of a chicken vs. egg thing.

The team does well, players want to come, and they'll be treated like rock stars.

The team doesn't do well, they get "abused". No one wants to be sacrificial lamb.

Same thing happens with Quebec players and not wanting to play in Montreal.

scooterTFC
04-06-2011, 10:15 AM
This has been discussed to death over at tmlfans.ca

The prevailing sense is that MLSE isn't really the root cause of the inability to get free agents, it's the pressure of playing in Toronto and living under the microscope that's the issue. There are a lot of star hockey players whose wives would rather that they live in a New Jersey or a Nashville, so that they can go out to dinner once in a while, not have their kids hounded at school etc.

But who knows...

Absolutely there are alot of factors to consider and certainly its a much debated topic. Bottom-line is it takes guts to step up, its a personal and profrsional risk to make this type of move and it may involve some personal sacrifice (taxes, privacy, lifestyle etc). I respect profesionals that have the guts to chase the bigger dream, it says to me that they love the game, it means something to them and and its not all about business. Ironic that Dero's return to Toronto was tarnished by business issues when in reality it was about more than that to him... you could see that passion in interviews and talking to him 1:1.

DreFuss
04-06-2011, 10:28 AM
So long and thanks for all the fish

TOBOR !
04-06-2011, 12:40 PM
So long and thanks for all the fish

^ perfect :)

Players will continue to come and go - the club and it's fans will move on.

DeRo will fall into the category of 'more memorable' players.

It was nice to have him here - sadly it didn't work out.

moving on...

TFC Cityboy
04-06-2011, 12:50 PM
^ perfect :)

Players will continue to come and go - the club and it's fans will move on.

DeRo will fall into the category of 'more memorable' players.

It was nice to have him here - sadly it didn't work out.

moving on...

quite true and one reason why I never put a current player's name on the back of a shirt.

Whoop
04-06-2011, 12:53 PM
quite true and one reason why I never put a current player's name on the back of a shirt.

Bingo.

s2cazz
04-06-2011, 12:59 PM
My feelings on his attitude and the transfer aside, I will always look back at his time here with good memories and a great appreciation for his hard work.

Dero I will applaud you when you walk on the pitch at BMO no matter what shirt you wear.*
I will always show you the respect you deserve.

*Enemies for 90minutes rule applies lol