PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday, Apr.02

denime
04-02-2011, 05:28 AM
Mornin'

:flare::drum::scarf:GAME DAY !!:scarf::drum::flare:

Martina's Blast Wins MLS Goal of the... (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/martinas-blast-wins-mls-goal-week)

TFC Acquires Two For De Rosario (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/tfc-acquires-two-de-rosario)

Reds Ready To Herd Goats (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/reds-ready-herd-goats)

Can Reds Conquer Chivas? (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/04/can-reds-conquer-chivas)

Toronto FC trades De Rosario (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/04/01/sp-mls-tfc-de-rosario.html)

TFC deals De Rosario to Red Bulls (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/tfc-deals-de-rosario-to-red-bulls/article1967169/)

Toronto FC trades Dwayne De Rosario to NY Red Bulls (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/967668--toronto-fc-trades-dwayne-de-rosario-to-ny-red-bulls)

Kelly: Once again, back to square one for Toronto FC (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/967967--kelly-once-again-back-to-square-one-for-toronto-fc)

DeRo heads south (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/04/01/dobson_toronto_fc_derosario/)

Red Bulls obtain De Rosario from Toronto FC (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/soccer/news/story?id=6281840)

TFC smoke and mirrors: De Rosario (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2011/04/01/17847281.html)

Costa Rica stops Canada U20s (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/costa-rica-stops-canada-u20s/article1968307/)

Canada U-20 team loses but advances to quarters (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/04/02/sp-soccer-concacaf-u20.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

DOMIN8R
04-02-2011, 05:47 AM
Thank you, D.

Quiet day on the news front, I see.:rolleyes5:

Heathen
04-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Kelly :rolleyes: just goes to show how much respect soccer gets in the media that he still writes opinion pieces on the sport.

scooter
04-02-2011, 06:33 AM
mornin d

kelly is not only an idiot he is a fucking wanker

game day boys and girls who's comming to the tailgate

DOMIN8R
04-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Holy shit Gareth Wheeler's Toronto Sun article is quite the expose/revelation. If you only have time to read one site's news - read this one for dramatic affect!

A must read.

I will reserve judgement on what he said, she said. But if these are accurate Dero quotes - MLSE just took it on the chin again in the court of public opinion.

Smuttynose
04-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Kelly is clearly grinding the same old axe. Look at how he insists on putting 'FC' into his writing with no regard for how it sounds.

"FC once again exchanges in-the-hand quality for in-the-bush hope."

GAH!

menefreghista
04-02-2011, 06:48 AM
Kelly is a douchebag, especially for continuing to use 'FC'.

But I think that's a fairly decent overview of the mess we are in.

Smuttynose
04-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Holy shit Gareth Wheeler's Toronto Sun article is quite the expose/revelation. If you only have time to read one site's news - read this one for dramatic affect!

A must read.

I will reserve judgement on what he said, she said. But if these are accurate Dero quotes - MLSE just took it on the chin again in the court of public opinion.

waring: reading that WILL make you angry. Very angry. Burn down the barn angry.

But I am glad the real story is getting out.

*edit, oops, this is my girlfriend's account.

DOMIN8R
04-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Stop masquerading as woman online again, Parky.

king dave
04-02-2011, 07:23 AM
I get it now.
I stay up all night drinking and Hal get's up early.
That is a window of cummunication.
KD.

TorCanSoc
04-02-2011, 07:36 AM
I only read Wheeler's article. I'll get through the rest (except for Kelly's. He doesn't rile me up, his writing style just bores me.)

After Wheeler's article, I feel more and more for what that Cann apology fiasco really was. To me it felt more like corporate bullying, and being shown an example of.... AND PUBLICLY humiliate a person. I'm sorry, players hold out for contracts all the time, its business. But when you publicly flog a dude like that, its totally personal.

DeRo, always loved ya man. I always will. Good luck in New York, I'll never heckle you on your return.

Pookie
04-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Wheeler's piece is what it is, one sided. If DeRo really has Cochrane's signature on a document, why not simply show the document?

It doesn't reference the career opportunities that Brennan and Dichio received. Serioux is still connected via their TV station. Clearly, for these guys, MLSE is still a decent organization to build a career with.

You have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. As you would when Anselmi speaks on the issue.

There is a 3rd party in all this. The new Management

At the end of the day, this is Winter's team and I like that he gave the captain every opportunity to save face. Calling him the leader and all that. DeRo returned that opportunity by saying he would hold out if he wasn't the DP. He never did but his threats were loud and clear.

Winter doesn't believe anyone is bigger than the team and I respect him for making a difficult decision and putting his stamp on the team.

Smuttynose
04-02-2011, 07:46 AM
DeRo returned that opportunity by saying he would hold out if he wasn't the DP.

incorrect.

he knew the fight for a DP slot wasn't winnable. He just wanted a raise.

Pookie
04-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Check his quotes from Jan 26. Clearly spells out, at the team presser, that he wants to be a DP

Oldtimer
04-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Wheeler's piece reads like talking to only one side in a divorce case.
Not the highest piece of journalism, if you ask me. He should be getting at least a "no comment" from the other side.

The good side of his article is that you now know how DeRo felt.

BTW, the soap opera aside, many congrats to Martina. He deserves the honour.

Carts
04-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Guys, stick to your opinions - but please don't pass off things as FACT when its just your opinion or inference from quotes or actions...

Opinions are great - make great debate, but saying THIS IS HOW IT IS when in fact 99% of us don't know what was done, said, demanded, as fact just hurts the image of our group...

Carts...

Waggy
04-02-2011, 08:07 AM
To quote a great meerkat, it's time to put the past behind us. Deros issues were with a management team that's no longer in the city and Dero is no long either. It's a new day for the club and it's game day. All we've seen thus far this year is reason for optimism, we have a new defender shoring up one of our weak spots and are playing a pretty bad team. Whatever issues Dero and Mo had are (thankfully) no longer our problem. So, COME ON YOU REEEDS!

Jack
04-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Wheeler is a wretched reporter whose writing is more akin to an episode of Jerry Springer than a piece of journalism. Take what he writes with a healthy mountain of salt. It's purposefully inflammatory and one-sided because Wheeler is purposefully inflammatory and one-dimensional.

boban
04-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Opinions are great - make great debate, but saying THIS IS HOW IT IS when in fact 100% of us don't know what was done, said, demanded, as fact just hurts the image of our group...

Carts...
Fixed :)

Carts
04-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Fixed :)

I don't 100% disagree with that at all ;)

Darlofletch
04-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Wheeler being so one sidedly de ro doesn't surprise me, he's always had a huge thing for de ro, in print and on his show. and hey good for him, it got him some choice quotes today.

but as other people have said, very one sided, though I don't really doubt that what he wrote is true, there's obviously more to it than that.

that attakora reference thrown in there is worrisome though.

oh well, it's game day. The post-Preki rebuild bowl (http://www.wakingthered.com/2011/4/1/2083951/toronto-fc-v-chivas-usa-the-post-preki-rebuild-bowl)

Red Rat
04-02-2011, 08:36 AM

A must read.

too many news will have to read later on

TorCanSoc
04-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Wheeler is a wretched reporter whose writing is more akin to an episode of Jerry Springer than a piece of journalism. Take what he writes with a healthy mountain of salt. It's purposefully inflammatory and one-sided because Wheeler is purposefully inflammatory and one-dimensional.

Yes. But its our side, and our dimension no? He's a fan first, kindy douchy second, and a journalist third. All that.... and I still like the kid. :)

Oldtimer
04-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Here is the trade from NY's perspective:

The New York Red Bulls finally got their No. 10.
New York GM Eric Solér had been saying for months that the club had been pursuing a playmaker, and in Dwayne De Rosario, that’s exactly what RBNY get. Now in his 11th year in MLS, the 32-year-old De Rosario has 74 goals and 52 assists in the regular season, most of them coming from the “hole” just behind a pair of strikers.
That’s an area RBNY manager Hans Backe has wanted filled since his arrival. The design is to play a 4-4-2 midfield diamond similar to Real Salt Lake. In DeRo, the Red Bulls now have someone who can approximate the play of Javier Morales and take some of the creative burden off of Thierry Henry and Dane Richards.
They’ve also gotten older and sacrificed a good chunk of depth. And for all of Backe’s talk about the Supporters’ Shield, this trade doesn’t help New York in that regard as De Rosario is likely to be gone for a good portion of the season representing Canada at the Gold Cup.
Instead, this is all about the need to win MLS Cup. DeRo has four of those to his name; the rest of the RBNY roster, combined, has three.
http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2011/04/commentary-dero-ny-finally-get-their-no-10

Translation: they need to win the cup this year. Forget about the future. Forget about the Supporters' Shield.

Whoop
04-02-2011, 09:03 AM
I know some of you won't venture into the DeRo thread but this is what I posted there in relation to Wheeler's article.

I think it's more he said, she said.

While DeRo final rant in Wheeler's article is pretty scathing - and I do believe it - I have a couple of questions.

Wheeler say that MLS gave TFC permission to give DeRo a DP contract yet why in January did MLS come out and say they wouldn't renegotiate his contract?

About not helping players get accommodation?
I know for a fact that the Leafs have a person on staff (Dave Griffiths) who is on the staff to help players get accommodations, particularly new players, who assist with families in terms of getting them in enrolled in school, helping out wives getting a adjusted to the city, getting a vehicle, etc. There is someone on the Raptors side too (Doreen Doyle). Why doesn't TFC have a person like that? Or do they?

For the guy commuting from Niagara Falls. As I stated yesterday the only player I can see on the current roster that is from the area is Keith Makubuya who just turned 18 in January. Was he living at home with his parents? I mean everyone knows the Andrea Lombardo story, about him riding his bike to BMO, but he was still living at home. I know Phil Oreskovic, who plays with the Marlies, commuted from Brampton (though he drove) because he lived at home with his parents.
Ideally you figure that MLSE could have an "athlete's condo" where guys could stay until they get their own accommodation - especially during a transitional period - but it's not like the guys listed above are making tonnes of cash. Didn't Ricketts live downtown when he got here? I remember some RPB running into him when Ricketts first moved here. I know a lot of players on the Leafs side, for example rookies, live in hotels until they're told by the team to find a place of their own (they've made the team).

As for players taking the TTC, didn't Matt Bonner take the TTC to games and hence getting the nickname "The Red Rocket"? I know the guy trialling with TFC, Cristian Gomez is supposedly living with his brother in Scarborough. Maybe he's happier there than staying downtown. Does every player on TFC drive?

As for Attakora not being happy, I figure some of the money they save by moving DeRo will be given to Attakora.

The ticket stuff I don't understand.

The Celtic thing - I said before - someone should be fired over bungling that one. At first I thought it was Brennan that gave him permission because Cochrane was saying he didn't. So it appears Cochrane was lying to cover his ass. (Also as an aside, his trade for Sturgis isn't looking good now either.)

Yeah... it's a pretty scathing article (and while it seems I'm coming across as a FO apologist, I'm the furthest thing from it) I don't know if it's all cut and dry.

denime
04-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Yes. But its our side, and our dimension no? He's a fan first, kindy douchy second, and a journalist third. All that.... and I still like the kid. :)

Wheeler is a douche first, kind a fan second, and a journalist third.

FIXED :D

rocker
04-02-2011, 09:13 AM
You have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. As you would when Anselmi speaks on the issue. .

yup... people are always calling for good journalism from soccer scribes. But interviewing one person and drawing final conclusions from one person's opinion on the subject -- as if that's all fact -- is not good journalism.

ManUtd4ever
04-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Whether Wheeler's article is factual or not, a player indictment of the previous regime is hardly a revelation to those of us that have been following the club since day one.

It's in the past, and it's time to move on.

Whoop
04-02-2011, 09:20 AM
One thing is certain, until MLSE is sold, I don't see DeRo coming back to TFC in a front office capacity.

Luanda
04-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Anyone know if today's game is available on-line?

69Chevy396
04-02-2011, 09:37 AM
One thing is certain, until MLSE is sold, I don't see DeRo coming back to TFC in a front office capacity.
What would DeRo do in the front office? Dichio and Brennan are at least working with the academies, doing something useful, What skills do Dero bring? MLSE would be better off hiring DeRo's barber, then paying him to cut off his fingers so that nobody else on the team ever looks like that dickweed again.

Pookie
04-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Whether Wheeler's article is factual or not, a player indictment of the previous regime is hardly a revelation to those of us that have been following the club since day one.

It's in the past, and it's time to move on.

Agreed. And we have a 21 year old, 6'4" midfielder that is supposedly "impossible to knock off the ball"

I'm really looking forward to seeing him play.

As for the Attakora comment, I like him. But he hasn't exactly excelled in the preseason and in Vancouver. We've brought in 2 defenders in 2 days. Perhaps, his contract situation is reflective of where Winter and Mariner have assessed his ability to play in the system?

gtaguy
04-02-2011, 09:58 AM
What i want to know is who is going to replace the 12-15 goals dero would score for us in a season. I hope Winter has a b plan for this.

Good weather , cold beers , gameday boys.. :scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:: scarf:

Pookie
04-02-2011, 10:01 AM
What i want to know is who is going to replace the 12-15 goals dero would score for us in a season. I hope Winter has a b plan for this.

Good weather , cold beers , gameday boys.. :scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:: scarf:

^ so you think that TFC as a team will score a total of 18-21 goals this year without DeRo? (last year's total was 33).

Batman
04-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Good reads. Glad it's all over though.

Lizzy
04-02-2011, 10:43 AM
I know some of you won't venture into the DeRo thread but this is what I posted there in relation to Wheeler's article.

I think it's more he said, she said.

The Celtic thing - I said before - someone should be fired over bungling that one. At first I thought it was Brennan that gave him permission because Cochrane was saying he didn't. So it appears Cochrane was lying to cover his ass. (Also as an aside, his trade for Sturgis isn't looking good now either.)

I'm not a fan of Cochrane (I think that Sturgis deal was comical) but isn't it possible that DeRo is lying to cover his ass? Newspaper quotes aren't given under oath.

[NBF]
04-02-2011, 11:10 AM
MLSE: Non-sports people running your company. Tsk Tsk.

It has been said many times already that TFC is a "clash of unqualified people" running the team like its their own. If NYRB is willing to make DeRosario a DP I would support that move. Simply because it makes sense, the numbers back DeRosario, and the quality of his play warrants DP status.

This was a completely unreasonable move. It didn't need to happen and it speaks to the management being brain-dead when it comes to this sport and every sport being run under the MLSE banner.

Aron Winter and the 4-3-3: If anything I think Aron Winter got a decent young midfielder who wont mind playing his role, as oppose to a secondary striker playing in the midfield and expected to make tackles and chase people down. Cover for the defense is a positive, if you plan on running this formation into the upcoming seasons and the first round pick in 2012 was traded to the team implies that.

IMO, this is a decent trade formation-wise, but the question is how does this affect the player morale when the best producing player on the team is thrown out the door kicking and screaming when he asked for a new contract(that he was "within reason" to renegotiate). I hope Aron Winter has the balls to tell everyone on the team that the trade was in DeRosario's best interest as well as the team moving forward towards building a "competitive" team for this season and the next 2 afterwards.

Everyone Has Evaluated This Trade Correctly: The trade was fairly even and It comes down to the goals. Replacing the goal numbers that DeRosario takes with him to NYRB. There's no one on the team thats a true goal scorer, there's players on the team that are good skill-wise, but lack a poacher mentality finishing-wise.

[NBF]
04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm not a fan of Cochrane (I think that Sturgis deal was comical) but isn't it possible that DeRo is lying to cover his ass? Newspaper quotes aren't given under oath.

Lizzy, since you are new to the forum, why dont you click on the "search" button on the website and do a search for "MLSE" and take notes on how many times we've seen this "lack of credibility" from this management team.

Pookie
04-02-2011, 11:27 AM

I missed this. I guess if DeRo has Earl Cochrane's signature on something, he could produce it if he wanted to let everyone know he was in the right?

Clearly, if Celtic stopped his training/trial because the documents weren't in order, DeRo could have produced the "official, legally binding" document with signature that he indicates he has every legal right to be there.

Nice piece of paper he supposedly has. It would clear everything up wouldn't it? End the situation, highlight the truth and he could salvage his reputation.

So, ummm... ever see it?

ag futbol
04-02-2011, 11:38 AM
That's what you have an agent for. You think pro athletes run around looking for pieces of paper and working out specifics on these types of things?

The more quotes that came out from Cochrane the more the situation smelled like a fuck up from the TFC FO. First they didn't know anything, then it was he told them he was going to trial and they said "ok" but there was no when-where specifics. Then another variation of the story really came down to a piece of paper (and really, what are you an admin assistant? who cares about a piece of paper!).

On top of that there was a whole backdrop of strife with MLSE trying to sort out the executive search and Earl pulling the trigger on deals he probably had no business in doing.

If this was court and guilt was beyond a reasonable doubt, you would have absolutely no case that Dero is mainly at fault here.

Pookie
04-02-2011, 11:49 AM
^ I'd agree. If he has this signed legally binding document, no fault of his at all. Now, Mr De Rosario, why didn't you produce this signed document to Celtic? Why haven't you entered it into evidence?

ag futbol
04-02-2011, 11:51 AM
^ I'd agree. If he has this signed legally binding document, no fault of his at all. Now, Mr De Rosario, why didn't you produce this signed document to Celtic? Why haven't you entered it into evidence?
paper work is for agents and front office staff, playing is for players.

Beach_Red
04-02-2011, 11:51 AM
As for the Attakora comment, I like him. But he hasn't exactly excelled in the preseason and in Vancouver. We've brought in 2 defenders in 2 days. Perhaps, his contract situation is reflective of where Winter and Mariner have assessed his ability to play in the system?

It will be good to see the new management take control of the club. In the four years so far, has any player ever resigned with TFC and stayed with the team?

C.Ronaldo
04-02-2011, 12:43 PM
all the dero haters now have proof, (from deros side) that he did what he could to play in Toronto.

gtaguy
04-02-2011, 03:32 PM
^ so you think that TFC as a team will score a total of 18-21 goals this year without DeRo? (last year's total was 33).

What i was referring to was having a proven goal scorer. a bit of a poacher and a finisher. As much as i like santos and martina i don't think they will get more then 10 from them. hope im wrong and they both step it up but i still think we need a proven and reliable goal scorer.

Lizzy
04-02-2011, 06:46 PM
;1263880']Lizzy, since you are new to the forum, why dont you click on the "search" button on the website and do a search for "MLSE" and take notes on how many times we've seen this "lack of credibility" from this management team.

No need - I'm a Leaf and Raptor fan as well. I know all about MLSE. But I've heard and seen more than enough from DeRo here, in Houston, and with the CMNT that won't allow me to believe a word he says.

And you can leave out the condescension you arrogant prick.

MG42
04-02-2011, 07:17 PM
snap

C.Ronaldo
04-02-2011, 07:48 PM
oh snap

condensation is bad

Cuchulain
04-03-2011, 06:23 PM
That smoke and mirrors article sure makes TFC management look bush league. Can't wait till MLSE is sold.

ilikemusic
04-03-2011, 09:58 PM
I wish I had a sig so I could make it this quote

“There has been upwards of 100 players to come through the doors at TFC, and not all of them have been bad players. Six coaches in five years too. What kind of organization works like that? They should look at how they are doing business.” - DeRosario