PDA

View Full Version : Huckerby has a concern with the field turf :(

sweetlemon69
07-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Mo's on goltv and in an interview with paul he said huckerby has a concern with it :(

Also said "he hopes he can get them BOTH signed"

Also said he's been showing him around the city though and things have been going well.

:(

olegunnar
07-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Someone else is watching this!
I made a post about it and got no reaction.
Seriously...extra time with mo is gold.

sweetlemon69
07-02-2008, 05:37 PM
It's so gold! Seems like Mo when put under the pressure from paul and the other guy, he squeeks out details he normally wouldn't do :D

olegunnar
07-02-2008, 05:40 PM
The size of the field on the road vs at home, and how it affects defenders positioning was interesting.
Mo's description of NERs first goal was pretty sad.
"Marvell didn't close down his man, then Tyrone got under the ball, and Edwards fell alseep, Jimmy too feel asleep and got caught watching" Made it seem like a total team effort giving up the goal.

sweetlemon69
07-02-2008, 05:44 PM
He's right though. As much as Marvel is fast, he doesn't close down the space fast enough and doesn't properly mark sometimes. Paul was right though that we just don't get the breaks that the other team does.

Either way, I hope Huckerby can see that the turf isn't as bad as he thinks and we can get them both signed :(

DigzTFC!
07-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Sweet jesus boys, keep the info coming! Is the show over?

olegunnar
07-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Paul James is going to break down our defense and goals conceeded against NER right now.

olegunnar
07-02-2008, 05:58 PM
That was depressing!

zeelaw
07-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Seriously if we are going to lose players because of the surface then MLE has to sit and talk about it

ManUtd4ever
07-02-2008, 06:04 PM
(sigh) It will be a shame if Mo is turned down because of the Godforesaken fieldturf issue. If quality free agents continue to shun TFC as a result of the pitch at BMO, perhaps upper management will see the light and conclude their plans to consider a grass surface as early as next season...

akoto
07-02-2008, 06:12 PM
(sigh) It will be a shame if Mo is turned down because of the Godforesaken fieldturf issue. If quality free agents continue to shun TFC as a result of the pitch at BMO, perhaps upper management will see the light and conclude their plans to consider a grass surface as early as next season...

yeah............:rolleyes:

DigzTFC!
07-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Okay, what's depressing. I don't get GolTV so a recap would be much appreciated so far.

- Mo wants both Dickov and Huckerby
- Huckerby rightly fears the turf because of his injuries
- Paul James put everyone to sleep with his commentary

did I miss something?

One thing I find interesting is we don't have any open senior spots. If Mo wants to sign both could it be the end for Cunny and Robert?

Dirk Diggler
07-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Okay, what's depressing. I don't get GolTV so a recap would be much appreciated so far.

did I miss something?

One thing I find interesting is we don't have any open senior spots. If Mo wants to sign both could it be the end for Cunny and Robert?

End of Cunny? You can bet your kids on that. End of Robert? I don't see why he would get rid of such a talented player. He's the reason why we're looking for strikers who can finish in the first place.

sweetlemon69
07-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Pauls' commentary imo is quite informational. Could we really spare to lose Robert?

olegunnar
07-02-2008, 06:25 PM

did I miss something?

Paul James breaking down the goals was what was depressing.

1st goal. He freeze framed at the beginning when Ricketts and Wynn were 5 yards off of Castro rather than closing him down. Jame's quote was "if I didn't block a cross my dad wouldn't speak to me for a day".
Then the next freeze frame was Marshall missing the header and Brennan ball watching and forgetting about Rolston who was behind him and quicker to react...goal.
2nd goal. He freeze framed on when Joeseph made his through ball...3 defenders in good position, Wynn in a bad body position, back to the player, no way to intercept the pass.
Next freeze frame was Wynn no where close to closing down castro and allowing the cross. "most goals come from crosses" or so says Paul James.
Next freeze frame was Brennan, Marshall and Velez all flat footed and ball watching when the ball went off the bar, meanwhile NER attackers are active and reacting faster.
Next shot was Rolston playing balerina while our defenders flopped around...no one closing him down to block the shot.

It was depressing in that Paul James made the defensive lapses seem so basic and obvious, hardly the kind of mistakes a good team would make.

Nothing like freeze frames and telestrators to show how bad you are.

CanadaLFC
07-02-2008, 06:27 PM

did I miss something?

End of Cunny fore sure. It will be interesting who else he will let go. Will it be Edu to Europe, or perhaps Dunivant waived ?

Shaughno
07-02-2008, 06:29 PM
I didn't listen to it, but that seems about right for what I saw.

More like, nothing like a tv personality telling the same story that was told on our boards. :lol:

ensco
07-02-2008, 06:31 PM

What's depressing is the number of times several of us have said this is happening (ie we're losing players over the turf), but, no matter what the evidence is, a huge, vocal contingent of apologists (who I swear to God must work for Fieldturf) rip anyone on here who dares question "the future".

DigzTFC!
07-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Well, we need two senior spots and about 500K in cash (Robert and Cunny fit that bill). Dickov and Huckerby will both be starters and if thats the case is very plausible that Huckerby will play left wing instead of striker. He's played as a winger for Norwich for some time now. Plus, these guys would move to a different continent for more than a one year deal, so even though half the season is over and its half the hit against the cap, we will need the cap space for next year to retain them.

-----------Dichio Dickov
Huckerby-Robbo---Guevara-Ricketts
Brennan-Tebily---- Marshall--Wynne
AND FOR F*@* SAKES SUTTON

and I'm not sure but Edu is a GA guy still? I think he's a developmental player then and not a full senior roster player, not sure though

olegunnar
07-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Purely speculation...but I don't think Robert is on firm ground.
If someone better comes along (especially someone decent at dead ball situations) I could see him getting axed.

Bluenose13
07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I thought we picked up an international spot in the Phelan deal, so we would only need to find 1 spot.....Bye Bye Cunny for sure.

noochie
07-02-2008, 06:53 PM
What's depressing is the number of times several of us have said this is happening (ie we're losing players over the turf), but, no matter what the evidence is, a huge, vocal contingent of apologists (who I swear to God must work for Fieldturf) rip anyone on here who dares question "the future".

I am not sure that we have lost anybody yet... but if Hucks doesn't sign based on this shit, I will be leading the midnight turf raid 2008. Safe as it may be... the bottom line is ability to attract players to play on it.

rocker
07-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Edu is no longer Generation Adidas... neither is Wynne. mlsintoronto said as much to me in the spring.

what's the point they said about the field size? BMO's pitch is smaller than other stadia?

bhoybobby
07-02-2008, 06:56 PM
End of Cunny? You can bet your kids on that. End of Robert? I don't see why he would get rid of such a talented player. He's the reason why we're looking for strikers who can finish in the first place.

Robert is talented no doubt, but he's a lazy cunt, we don't need lazy cunts, end of.

ensco
07-02-2008, 07:00 PM
I am not sure that we have lost anybody yet... but if Hucks doesn't sign based on this shit, I will be leading the midnight turf raid 2008. Safe as it may be... the bottom line is ability to attract players to play on it.

I'm sure.

1) O'Brien for sure. Mo confirmed it in the papers.
2) Jim Brennan has said it's an issue for some of the veteran Canadian national team players, who might otherwise want to come.
3) Robinson and Dichio have both said they have spent time with possible English signings "educating" them about the turf

That's just what we know about. 95% of this is probably known only to Mo. It's not in Mo's interest to talk about it.

DigzTFC!
07-02-2008, 07:01 PM
I doesn't matter really about Edu (but thanks for the info about the GAs). He'll be gone mid july for friendlies for the Olympics. Right around July 15th no doubt, when we bring in other players. I don't see him going anywhere though, at least until after the season. I really think Cunny and Robert will be the first to go. Also, there is a free international spot, but not senior player positions, which means two roster players have to go to make room

noochie
07-02-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm sure.

1) O'Brien for sure. Mo confirmed it in the papers.
2) Jim Brennan has said it's an issue for some of the veteran Canadian national team players, who might otherwise want to come.
3) Robinson and Dichio have both said they have spent time with possible English signings "educating" them about the turf

That's just what we know about. 95% of this is probably known only to Mo. It's not in Mo's interest to talk about it.

O'Brien left because SJ overpaid... then he bitched about it.

olegunnar
07-02-2008, 07:09 PM
what's the point they said about the field size? BMO's pitch is smaller than other stadia?

Yup, apparently
So on the road positioning seems to be an issue...what is good spacing/positioning at home...may not be on the road.

Nuvinho
07-02-2008, 07:12 PM
If Huckerby is coming, I rather have him play upfront. We have more problems upfront than anything. I don't know how many goals he has scored from the wing in England, but I think he would be a force if he played up front in MLS.

TFC07
07-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Dickov???? No thanks. We need strikers with pace and can actually score goals. Dickov isn't known for that. Besides, he is 35 years old now.

madzap
07-02-2008, 07:23 PM

Could someone tell me why we could not lay natural turf down for the summer and move it off the field for the off-season? Didn't they have to do something similar to that for Moscow and the Champions League final? I remember seeing them with turf being grown in boxes and were going to lay it out for the final. It's not as complex as the one stadium in Asia where the turf is rolled in and out depending on the event. The sections could be removed and kept somewhere like Downsview in a greenhouse or something similar so it could be maintained over the winter. In the summer, irrigation could be achieved by capturing rain water from the Ricoh and other CNE buildings. Spare sections could be maintained in the event there is too much damage in the penalty areas.

noochie
07-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Dickov???? No thanks. We need strikers with pace and can actually score goals. Dickov isn't known for that. Besides, he is 35 years old now.

How do you know that this trend would continue? He has had a good spell at Blackpool and besides... what is the risk, providing that they don't use the DP slot? It can't get any worse :)

Batman
07-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Could someone tell me why we could not lay natural turf down for the summer and move it off the field for the off-season? Didn't they have to do something similar to that for Moscow and the Champions League final? I remember seeing them with turf being grown in boxes and were going to lay it out for the final. It's not as complex as the one stadium in Asia where the turf is rolled in and out depending on the event. The sections could be removed and kept somewhere like Downsview in a greenhouse or something similar so it could be maintained over the winter. In the summer, irrigation could be achieved by capturing rain water from the Ricoh and other CNE buildings. Spare sections could be maintained in the event there is too much damage in the penalty areas.

I have heard from a certain exec that this is being strongly considered.

jimiv
07-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Robert is talented no doubt, but he's a lazy cunt, we don't need lazy cunts, end of.

I don't think he's as lazy as he is frustrated, he continues to pass the ball to no avail. I would think his output would be more appreciated when we get a striker that can finish.

ilikemusic
07-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Hes just a whiny player! If he doesnt like it our turf then he can piss off! We dont need him!

Am I right?:rolleyes:

Ossington Mental Youth
07-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Dunno bout Robert leaving, I do however see Cunny and Dunny leaving (along with allocations from trading off Conde to NYRB).
Really dont think Robert is in any danger at this point.

Blizzard
07-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Dunno bout Robert leaving, I do however see Cunny and Dunny leaving (along with allocations from trading off Conde to NYRB).
Really dont think Robert is in any danger at this point.

If Dunny is going anywhere, it won't be until that ankle heals.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Liam Miller is also training with the team. No mention of him on Mo Weekly?

Draracle
07-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Dave Miller told that the field turf has become an issue. So if he is involved then people (read: TFC and MLSE) are pushing for change. Ultimately it is the city's call.

DigzTFC!
07-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Liam Miller is also training with the team. No mention of him on Mo Weekly?

What? Do you have a link for this?

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-02-2008, 09:31 PM
What? Do you have a link for this?

Someone posted in the usector board. No link to a news service, but it’s not the kind of thing that you are likely to make up:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=7090 (http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=7090)

It’s the second post in the thread.

Corpand
07-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Just keep an eye out here for the undated episode (if they update it soon that is).

http://www.goltv.ca/programming/extra_time/

Oh, and Dickov haters out there, I know its a youtube video but somehow I never see Cunny playing like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V99opxrgjyQ

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-02-2008, 09:52 PM
I think Dickov would be a good addition in that he could help get us over the hump in some of these close games. I’d like to see us make a couple of additions, at least one younger forward.

Shaughno
07-02-2008, 10:00 PM
IMO if they signed both, you would see Hucks AND Dickov up front. Dichio from the bench.

I'm not a Dickov fan at all, but a 35 year old Dickov is better than Dichio at any age.

TFC07
07-02-2008, 10:12 PM
How do you know that this trend would continue? He has had a good spell at Blackpool and besides... what is the risk, providing that they don't use the DP slot? It can't get any worse :)

So who should be cut to make room for him? I am sure he is going to ask for a lot of money as well.

noochie
07-02-2008, 10:16 PM
So who should be cut to make room for him? I am sure he is going to ask for a lot of money as well.

Not sure. I would think the best thing to do would be to trade one of the I strikers we currently have (Cunningham being the most likely given his salary). Because we gained an I slot in the Phelan deal it also makes the S players available. Such as Harmse.

Derko
07-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Cunny and Edu can both fuck-off, 'they' say (whomever 'They' are?) Edu is supposed to have promise, but I have not seen it, last year he looked good because TFC where not as good in midfield as they are now with Guevara and Robert, Dunivant could surely take Edu's spot,no?

TFC07
07-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Cunny and Edu can both fuck-off, 'they' say (whomever 'They' are?) Edu is supposed to have promise, but I have not seen it, last year he looked good because TFC where not as good in midfield as they are now with Guevara and Robert, Dunivant could surely take Edu's spot,no?

I agree Edu has been shit this season, but he has a huge upside still unlike someone like Dunivant. Also, trading Dunivant wouldn't be a bad idea. He got some decent value in the market. Trade or cut Dunivant and Cunny will be enough to add couple of new players once the window is open.

noochie
07-02-2008, 10:22 PM

If Edu goes... there wouldn't be much of a need to replace him. Change the formation and there is no hole. Backup would be Hemming or Harmse with a midfield consisting of Ricketts Guevara Robert and Huckerby or Dickov. Danny and Hucks or Dickov up front.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-02-2008, 10:25 PM

I agree that if TFC could compete without Edu (particularly in term of what he’s bringing to the team right now). I don’t see how Dunivant would slot in for him. We don’t exactly have another box-to-box midfielder right now. We have a couple of players who could play a defensive midfield roll however.

Pachuco
07-02-2008, 10:43 PM
If Edu goes... there wouldn't be much of a need to replace him. Change the formation and there is no hole. Backup would be Hemming or Harmse with a midfield consisting of Ricketts Guevara Robert and Huckerby or Dickov. Danny and Hucks or Dickov up front.

I would like to see Tebily actually try out Edu's position. I think he could be effective there. But I agree with having a 4-4-2 formation. That's if we have 2 decent strikers of course.

mighty_torontofc_2008
07-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Field turf is not going anywhere,just find players that are wiling to play on it and move forward,

noochie
07-02-2008, 10:46 PM
I would like to see Tebily actually try out Edu's position. I think he could be effective there. But I agree with having a 4-4-2 formation. That's if we have 2 decent strikers of course.

I am thinking I would like to see Guevara and Robbo in the center with Robert and Ricketts on the wings. Then put Hucks and Dickov up front assuming that they sign with Dichio and Smith coming off the bench.

noochie
07-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Field turf is not going anywhere,just find players that are wiling to play on it and move forward,

If the CSA can put it in for the CMNT then there is no reason why TFC would not be able to do the same. (Mo mentioned on extra time that the CMNT are looking into it and I think he was being very cautious about letting his opinion known).

Northern Soul
07-02-2008, 10:56 PM
This lineup I could definitely live with. I'd be happier with Dickov and Dichio as depth opposed to Dichio and Cunny.

-------Huckerby-Dickov---------
Robert----Guevara-------Ricketts
----------Robinson--------------
Brennan-Tebily----Marshall--Wynne
------------Sutton--------------

noochie
07-02-2008, 10:59 PM
This lineup I could definitely live with. I'd be happier with Dickov and Dichio as depth opposed to Dichio and Cunny.

-------Huckerby-Dickov---------
Brennan-Tebily----Marshall--Wynne

Swap Velez for Marshall and I like it. Velez has been playing out of his mind since week 4.

Blizzard
07-02-2008, 11:04 PM
If the CSA can put it in for the CMNT then there is no reason why TFC would not be able to do the same. (Mo mentioned on extra time that the CMNT are looking into it and I think he was being very cautious about letting his opinion known).

True in theory but how long does a temporary grass pitch sitting on top of a tarp on top of FieldTurf actually last?

It's one kettle of fish to do it for a one off but to do it for a whole season is very different.

Can a grass field be maintained on ten inches of earth with limited drainage for an entire season?

noochie
07-02-2008, 11:05 PM
True in theory but how long does a temporary grass pitch sitting on top of a tarp on top of FieldTurf actually last?

It's one kettle of fish to do it for a one off but to do it for a whole season is very different.

Can a grass field be maintained on ten inches of earth with limited drainage for an entire season?

I sure hope they try to find out :)

Pachuco
07-02-2008, 11:12 PM
I am thinking I would like to see Guevara and Robbo in the center with Robert and Ricketts on the wings. Then put Hucks and Dickov up front assuming that they sign with Dichio and Smith coming off the bench.

Yeah I'm with you. Just saying if we don't get those two solid strikers and we play 4-5-1 then I'd like to see Tebily have a shot at DM.

noochie
07-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah I'm with you. Just saying if we don't get those two solid strikers and we play 4-5-1 then I'd like to see Tebily have a shot at DM.

I totally agree, he could play there. He has good vision and distribution abilities. The lack of distribution from Edu and Robbo in recent weeks has been shocking.

Derko
07-02-2008, 11:20 PM
-------Huckerby? (Smith) -Dickov? (Dichio)--------
Brennan----Tebily----Marshall--Wynne

Interesting lineup, and we have seen that Guevara can come back and defend.

DigzTFC!
07-02-2008, 11:28 PM
About the turf, if Huckerby has a problem with it he probably shouldn't play in MLS or at the very least the eastern conference.

Seriously, it annoys the hell out of me that players make such a big deal about our turf, which is the best possible turf, and teams like RSL, Revs, NY get very little attention about it. Whether its the Toronto media or something, I don't know. Comments by a guy like Beckerman just piss me off when he's playing on 1980 "Green cement" astro turf.

Footie-11
07-02-2008, 11:39 PM
I swear we could have landed DeRo before the start of our first season had we had a grass pitch...

Raging Reggie
07-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Fuck SJ! Come join us Huckerby! Please!!!!!!!!
el3Q0-A9GN4

TFCREDNWHITE
07-03-2008, 07:57 AM

Exactly! they need to tell Dickov to scram! why the fuck would mo want to sign dickov??? i mean really gimmie a break!

Shaughno
07-03-2008, 08:08 AM
^ Sarcastic or not.. he's better than Dichio ever was, even at 35.

GabrielHurl
07-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Got to agree with Shaughno there - Dickov at 35 is still better than Dichio

arbogast
07-03-2008, 08:10 AM
to be fair, Dickov scored some jewels last season at Blackpool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V99opxrgjyQ

deltox
07-03-2008, 08:40 AM
i think that huckerby could tear up this league

RealG-TFC
07-03-2008, 08:48 AM
fook dickov

Nuvinho
07-03-2008, 09:40 AM
so do these guys have to wait til July 15th to sign? or can we have them in the lineup before then?

Shaughno
07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
^^ Not sure about Dickov's contract status, but Huckerby is unattached and we can sign him at any time.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Is liam miller a winger?

Shaughno
07-03-2008, 09:55 AM
RM I believe.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-03-2008, 10:00 AM
anyone heard anything else about miller being here?
is that all just hearsay/fiction?

Nuvinho
07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
I really hope, we get some new players in for either July 9th or July 12th.