PDA

View Full Version : Wall of Honour

snuffy74
04-01-2011, 05:38 PM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]During the game in Vancouver, I was wondering why there was someone running around the field wearing #11.

I was under the assumption that the wall of honour served to retire numbers. Obviously I'm wrong - and I find it a bit disrespectful.
:scarf:

West220Side
04-01-2011, 05:55 PM
[font="Comic Sans MS"]During the game in Vancouver, I was wondering why there was someone running around the field wearing #11.

I was under the assumption that the wall of honour served to retire numbers. Obviously I'm wrong - and I find it a bit disrespectful.
:scarf:

All i fucking know is that if i dont see a fucking big number #14 on that wall come tomorrow i'm going to be angry.

Globetrotter
04-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Ya, like people think there's a ton of Leafs jerseys retired because of all the banners. They're honored, not retired. Likely same with TFC.

Only numbers not allowed to be used for Leafs are 5, 6, and 99. TFC, all is available.

AL-MO
04-01-2011, 06:05 PM
^ What he said. No numbers are retired.

james
04-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Ya, like people think there's a ton of Leafs jerseys retired because of all the banners. They're honored, not retired. Likely same with TFC.

Only numbers not allowed to be used for Leafs are 5, 6, and 99. TFC, all is available.

great point, and at this rate if we start retiring everyones numbers we are going to have none left 10 years from now. We should start only honorring numbers for players who actualy play for are team for a good +5,6,7,8 years. So far we get a complete new team every year!

Stryker
04-01-2011, 06:29 PM
All i fucking know is that if i dont see a fucking big number #14 on that wall come tomorrow i'm going to be angry.

Yes because you want the rest of your players to model themselves after a man who demanded a contract renegotiation TWICE, threatened to sit out and then (presumably) asked to be traded away from the hometown team he captained in search of more money.

Get off the rocks buddy.

Alixir
04-01-2011, 06:42 PM
[font="Comic Sans MS"]During the game in Vancouver, I was wondering why there was someone running around the field wearing #11.

:scarf:I don't really think the wall of honour is the retiring of the number...I would think its more of honouring the player.

RedsYNWA
04-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Sorry only Dichio at best deserves to be there end of

boban
04-01-2011, 07:35 PM

99 is league wide, nothing to do with the Leafs.
The other two were retired because of sudden career end. Incidentaly, they were before Ballard's time.
Ballard refused to retire number number. It left the Leaf with a problem of having to many good players having the same number. 5 & 6 didn't fit that criteria.
Anyhow, don't see how that should fit in the TFC criteria. But then again nobody worthy of retiring in TFC as the team has stunk for those years and nobody really had outstanding years here. (Dero's time is too short IMHO).

Globetrotter
04-01-2011, 08:15 PM
^????? thanks for the explanation of everything, don't know why it was needed.

99 is league wide... I said it's not allowed to be used by them... not retired by them.

I was referencing how another team that belongs to the same owner handles these situations, and pointed out how they "honor" instead of "retire". I think it was a fair example. It's not like I went into detail about why they were retired, or previous deceased owners.

Oldtimer
04-01-2011, 09:44 PM
The wall was another Mo stupidity, made to cover up his underhanded dealing with DD.

I think we should forget about the wall for another 5-10 years.

Roogsy
04-01-2011, 10:01 PM
The wall was another Mo stupidity, made to cover up his underhanded dealing with DD.

This. We all love the fact that Danny is up there but we conveniently forget that he would have given that up for better treatment by the club.

AL-MO
04-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Didn't Jimmy go up there first?

s2cazz
04-01-2011, 10:16 PM
I can't believe we are having this conversation. NO NUMBERS SHOULD BE UP THERE!

I love Dichio, Brennan was cool and Dero did a lot for this club but for god sakes none of them deserve being honored. Fucking win something first, then start honoring the people who helped make that possible.

That wall is the biggest crock of shit ever. Congatu-fucking-lations your on the wall of nothing. King Turd of the Shit Pile.

Whoop
04-01-2011, 10:17 PM

I love Dichio, Brennan was cool and Dero did a lot for this club but for god sakes none of them deserve being honored. Fucking win something first, then start honoring the people who helped make that possible.

That wall is the biggest crock of shit ever. Congatu-fucking-lations your on the wall of nothing. King Turd of the Shit Pile.

This. LOL

West220Side
04-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Ya, you're right. Lets not honor maybe one of the best Canadian Players at the moment who played and captained our club. You know he bitches about money, so fuck him? Right? Wrong. He's a great guy, has done a lot for this community/city/team, just because he argued about his contract is no need to not honor him. Hey DeRo thanks for your twenty seven league goals, but since we traded you we won't honor you, Hey DeRo thanks for helping us win the Canadian Championship (TWICE!) but we won't honor you.

Joe Kool
04-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I think it takes more than his little stint here to make the wall of honour in my opinion. I think a player's on the field and off the field persona both count. His on the field production was definitely speaking for itself but his off the field stuff left a sour taste in people's mouth so that tarnishes the "honour" therefore I wouldn't give it to him either. I also don't think Brennan should be on there either. I think they didn't use the right criteria there. Dichio is the only one that should be there right now.

Auzzy
04-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Suggestion: change it to the Wall of Humour. Put a big funky LED board up there, with the latest East Side Stand Up comic... ;)

I could get really annoyed at this club, but I find laughing helps.

RedRum
04-02-2011, 12:38 AM
99 is not a league retired number.

FACT!!

99 is a Leafs retired number.

FACT!!

99 was retired by the Leafs in 1981 after Wilf Paiement led the Leafs in points, eclipsing even Darryl Sittler.

FACT!!

TFC Bhoy
04-02-2011, 12:51 AM
99 is not a league retired number.

FACT!!
FACT!!
uhhh no, thats incorrect. At Wayne's last game Bettman got on the mic and said that NO ONE in the NHL will ever wear 99 ever again. It is a league retired number.

koryo
04-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Wall = bullshit.

Danny = Legend

Give 'em hell tomorrow.

Alonso
04-02-2011, 01:44 AM
great point, and at this rate if we start retiring everyones numbers we are going to have none left 10 years from now. We should start only honorring numbers for players who actualy play for are team for a good +5,6,7,8 years. So far we get a complete new team every year!

Yeah man, this is beyond stupid.... More turnover than a McDonalds.

Why is the teflon don still around?

Alonso
04-02-2011, 01:54 AM

Ya, you're right. Lets not honor maybe one of the best Canadian Players at the moment who played and captained our club. You know he bitches about money, so fuck him? Right? Wrong. He's a great guy, has done a lot for this community/city/team, just because he argued about his contract is no need to not honor him. Hey DeRo thanks for your twenty seven league goals, but since we traded you we won't honor you, Hey DeRo thanks for helping us win the Canadian Championship (TWICE!) but we won't honor you.

If you think about it over 50 years, if we honor everyone who scores 27 goals for us we are going to need a wall of honor the size of the great wall of China.

Plus with every person you put on there you devalue the honor just a little bit. Lets keep it for extremely memorable moments.

F*ck lets put Joe Carter on there!

BeerBaron95
04-02-2011, 02:43 AM

who fucking cares that hes canadian!!!

Fucking hate reading this kind of shit.. Mike hit it dead on.. the wall of honor is a farce and a joke.

When this team does something other than win a Canadian championship (between 3 teams), i will give a shit about who to put up there and why.

Just cause u wear the jersey and u are either well liked (as in Brennan) or score franchises first goal a la Dichio, doesnt mean we should honor him by sticking a useless number on a fucking wall period.

scooter
04-02-2011, 06:49 AM
who fucking cares that hes canadian!!!

Fucking hate reading this kind of shit.. Mike hit it dead on.. the wall of honor is a farce and a joke.

When this team does something other than win a Canadian championship (between 3 teams), i will give a shit about who to put up there and why.

Just cause u wear the jersey and u are either well liked (as in Brennan) or score franchises first goal a la Dichio, doesnt mean we should honor him by sticking a useless number on a fucking wall period.

x2 man

London
04-02-2011, 06:51 AM
I cant even understand for one second why dero deserves to be on the wall of honour????

menefreghista
04-02-2011, 06:53 AM
I think the Wall of Honour is stupid due to the age of TFC.

But I also believe De Rosario deserves to be on it more than Brennan or Dichio.

romburgundy
04-02-2011, 08:07 AM
agreed someday Dero should be there but only if he comes back to play his last season here at home and for those who say win something... how fast we forget that night in Montreal?

sully
04-02-2011, 08:11 AM

Agreed.