PDA

View Full Version : TFC Sign Jamaican International Dicoy Williams (Defender)

prizby
03-31-2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/03/toronto-fc-signs-dicoy-williams

ORONTO - Toronto FC announced Thursday that they have signed Jamaican international defender Dicoy Williams.

"Dicoy is a strong defender that is solid in one-on-one situations and has a lot of good qualities,” said Toronto FC Head Coach and Technical Director Aron Winter. “He performed well in training camp but we couldn’t sign him until we made sure we had the international spot.”

Williams, 24, most recently played for Harbour View FC of the Digicel Premier League in Jamaica. Williams has earned six caps for the Jamaican national team. His most recent appearance was on October 10, 2010 against Trinidad & Tobago.

He spent time with the club during the Carolina Challenge Cup in Charleston, South Carolina earlier this month.

Dicoy Williams #31
Position: Defender
Height: 6’2
Weight: 187
Birthdate: October 7, 1986
Birth Place/Hometown: Kingston, Jamaica
Nationality: Jamaica
Last Club: Harbour View FC
How Acquired: Signed on March 31, 2011
Pronunciation: “Dee-koy Will-iams”

Whoop
03-31-2011, 03:43 PM
I thought Winter WASN'T impressed with him?

Fort York Redcoat
03-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Ya that's what I saw/heard.

mastermixer
03-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures?

Wooster_TFC
03-31-2011, 03:52 PM
I think everyone got that impression, but maybe Winter was being coy because he didn't know whether they had the international spot for him, and didn't want someone else swooping in?

backbeat
03-31-2011, 03:53 PM
I think everyone got that impression, but maybe Winter was being coy because he didn't know whether they had the international spot for him, and didn't want someone else swooping in?

so does that mean no more international spots are left?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 03:53 PM

pretty much, he didnt say anything at the time except he had made up his mind (or something to that extent) and alot of people took it to mean he wasnt impressed

JuliquE
03-31-2011, 03:57 PM
pretty much, he didnt say anything at the time except he had made up his mind (or something to that extent) and alot of people took it to mean he wasnt impressed
There's that.. but I just plain don't think he understood the question asked and simply offered a "no comment" to hide his embarrassment -- that's the impression I got, having only watched the aforementioned interview once.

Pigfynn
03-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Winter never said anything to indicate either way. I remember the interview well.

He said that he had made up his mind about him, that's it.

leafsman
03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
is he a cb or fb?

Pigfynn
03-31-2011, 04:01 PM
played at cb in preseason

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 04:01 PM
There's that.. but I just plain don't think he understood the question asked and simply offered a "no comment" to hide his embarrassment -- that's the impression I got, having only watched the aforementioned interview once.

good point

Winter never said anything to indicate either way. I remember the interview well.

yep this is what i remember

ArmenJBX
03-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Wonder if Christian Gomez is still going to be signed?

J .
03-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Middling CB at best, who does that then leave out? Cann, Harden, moving Attakora to RB?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 04:07 PM
he also plays both fullback positions and defensive mid

Alonso
03-31-2011, 04:10 PM

This is another example of Winter's class as a person imo. He let's his actions do the talking, holds his cards close to his chest, and doesn't get all excited about potential signings getting our hopes up and making himself look like a fool a la Mo.

So refreshing.

brad
03-31-2011, 04:13 PM
so does that mean no more international spots are left?

Someone mentioned on another thread that they talked to Boouchiba on Monday and he is out for the season ACL or MCL. If that's the case, it might be that he got put on season ending injury status opening up a slot for Dicoy

mowe
03-31-2011, 04:18 PM
So that would make the international roster spot situation:
Santos
Martina
Soolsma
Stevanovic
Plata
Yourassowsky
Bouchiba
Williams

This is assuming Frei and Kocic are domestic. All eight roster spots are filled, unless the team has traded for more. Also, if Bouchiba really is going to be out for the season, replacing him would free up another spot.

redcard
03-31-2011, 04:18 PM
i am sure winter would not sign anyone just for the sake of signing him...he must liked what he saw.

Nuvinho
03-31-2011, 04:21 PM
I think we'd keep one international spot open just in case we can acquire someone later on in the season.

Globetrotter
03-31-2011, 04:22 PM
No way Nana has the mobility needed to play out to the side. He looked ridiculous running around in the middle vs Vancouver as it was.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 04:22 PM
hes played RB on the nats before if im not mistaken and played CB against Van

Globetrotter
03-31-2011, 04:28 PM
yes, and he has played RB for us too... but that's a stay at home RB... keeping part of a line. The RB in this formation is far far far more versatile and needs to move up and do overlapping runs.

**edit... bottom line... Nana is NOT the guy needed to take over Gargans position. Maybe this new guy is, but Nana is not what we should fill that hole with.

reggie
03-31-2011, 04:32 PM
I want ABG at RB

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 04:36 PM
ill let winter make the decisions

trane
03-31-2011, 04:38 PM
I have to put it out there but I hate the term defender to describe the position played, such a big difference between the two. Some can play both, but for the most part the skill sets are quite different.

By the way, Nana has played very well when asked at RB, althought that has not happend in a while. He is defense first, but can bring the ball up effectively.

kaos197O
03-31-2011, 04:44 PM
So that would make the international roster spot situation:
Santos
Martina
Soolsma
Stevanovic
Plata
Yourassowsky
Bouchiba
Williams

This is assuming Frei and Kocic are domestic. All eight roster spots are filled, unless the team has traded for more. Also, if Bouchiba really is going to be out for the season, replacing him would free up another spot.
You can scratch Bouchiba if the rumours are true and that he is done for the season.

prizby
03-31-2011, 05:10 PM
I want ABG at RB

who the hell is AGB?

moralis
03-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Listen to Aron Winter's post-game comments about Dicoy Williams play against the Charleston Battery: March 9, 2011. Page 5 in Interviews section.

It was a question asked by Gareth Wheeler: 1:20 - 1:35.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

I think most of you listened to it, but hear it again. It would be great if someone can pass this along to anyone in the media to ask tomorrow.

Globetrotter
03-31-2011, 05:49 PM
Listen to Aron Winter's post-game comments about Dicoy Williams play against the Charleston Battery: March 9, 2011. Page 5 in Interviews section.

That was pretty weird. Wonder what that smile was about. That could really mean anything. What anyone says here.... pure speculation.

TFCRegina
03-31-2011, 05:51 PM
We now have a Dicoy to cover Yourass.

ArmenJBX
03-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Loooooool

Pachuco
03-31-2011, 06:29 PM

:thumbsup: hahaha

the Winter reaction to the Williams questions is puzzling. I tend to agree with whoever said that he didn't understand the question. Akward moment to say the least.

Sweeper
03-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Hilarious, I bet you have been waiting almost 2 weeks to use that one.

So do I understand this right, not having an international spot means our only hope of signing a big name DP is getting somebody from North America or trading an existing international player?

scooterTFC
03-31-2011, 06:59 PM

So do I understand this right, not having an international spot means our only hope of signing a big name DP is getting somebody from North America or trading an existing international player?

We couldnsimply cut a player... Guys like soolsma, plata, williams might not be on a guaranteed deals

scooterTFC
03-31-2011, 07:03 PM

We could simply cut a player... Guys like soolsma, plata, williams might not be on a guaranteed deals

Pachuco
03-31-2011, 07:04 PM

I wouldn't be too worried about that. If the right DP comes along and he's an international they won't be passing him up because they don't have a slot. They'll make it happen if they need to.

Derko
03-31-2011, 07:06 PM
I will say it again: People with Football/Soccer minds immeasurably superior to ours have made the decision and I will respect that.

brad
03-31-2011, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about that. If the right DP comes along and he's an international they won't be passing him up because they don't have a slot. They'll make it happen if they need to.

Does a DP also require an international slot ( assuming they are international) or is a DP it's own roster slot?

Waggy
03-31-2011, 07:18 PM
If we need another international slot we can:
cut a player
buy out a player
trade a domestic player for an international slot
trade an international player for a draft pick/allocation money/domestic player
or just petition the MLS to fish something for us like the Galaxy always seem to be able to do.

That's assuming a DP counts as either a domestic or international roster spot and not a 3rd category altogether.

Glad to hear there's another defender coming in. Love that I no longer have to worry about this team making stupid decisions or ignoring obvious problems.

Huyton
03-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Would ABG = Anybody But Garcia by any chance?

Whoop
03-31-2011, 07:24 PM
ABG = Anybody but Gargan?

Technorgasm
03-31-2011, 07:32 PM
This is another example of Winter's class as a person imo. He let's his actions do the talking, holds his cards close to his chest, and doesn't get all excited about potential signings getting our hopes up and making himself look like a fool a la Mo.

So refreshing.

Norb Approved comment. .

now. . what about international spots?
is that it for TFC?

Pigfynn
03-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Right so...he says no comment and smiles.

I guess I just got the impression that he had made up his mind.

I guess he had.

Alonso
03-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Glad to hear there's another defender coming in. Love that I no longer have to worry about this team making stupid decisions or ignoring obvious problems.

Isn't it refreshing for a change? You see a need... you attempt to fill it.

What a concept!

And you don't break the bank or sign guys for long periods of time until they're proven to work within your system.

oxygenatedbrain
03-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Does a DP also require an international slot ( assuming they are international) or is a DP it's own roster slot?

Yup, DPs are subject to the same roster rules.

oxygenatedbrain
03-31-2011, 08:14 PM

Or, trading for another International slot.

los sonadores
03-31-2011, 08:14 PM
yes, and he has played RB for us too... but that's a stay at home RB... keeping part of a line. The RB in this formation is far far far more versatile and needs to move up and do overlapping runs.

**edit... bottom line... Nana is NOT the guy needed to take over Gargans position. Maybe this new guy is, but Nana is not what we should fill that hole with.

RB is Nana's natural position.

tfcmanu
03-31-2011, 08:38 PM
I herd it somewhere, you can only trade for an international spot a max of three times during the season I may be wrong...Anyone know?

ArmenJBX
03-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Domestic/International:

In 2011, a total of 144 international slots are divided among the 18 clubs. Each club began with eight international slots, which are tradable. There is no limit on the number of international slots on each club’s roster.
The remaining roster slots must belong to domestic players. For clubs based in the United States, a domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (green card holder) or the holder of other special status (e.g., refugee or asylum status).

That's from MLS rulebook

Sweeper
03-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes, a good move indeed. Winter/Mariner continue to impress.

It was great to watch Nana tearing it up at right back when he was developing into a solid first team player.

TFCRegina
03-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Maybe a good move. There's a problem in that he might be a Gold Cup call up and leave our team devastated and relying on youth come June.

reggie
03-31-2011, 09:57 PM
who the hell is AGB?
thats ABG

Anybody But Gargan....

boozilla
03-31-2011, 10:39 PM
thats ABG

Anybody But Gargan....

Release The Gargan?

ManUtd4ever
03-31-2011, 11:04 PM
A Jamaican international defender with 6 caps should be an upgrade over Gargan on the backline.

Wooster_TFC
03-31-2011, 11:06 PM
We're supposed to have 10 international spots this year based on past trades, but with US players becoming domestic for canadian teams maybe MLS took a spot or two away or something.

MLS rules and decisions are wacky sometimes, but they are getting a little better in trying to be transparent.

LesH
04-01-2011, 12:51 AM
I don't have an idea about this guy, but at least he's tall, and that's a big plus, because somehow I feel our team is undersized compared to the majority of MLS team.

Oldtimer
04-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Designated Players do take up an international spot if they are international. Where they are an exception is in salary and acquisition rules. For the latter, for example, a regular player might be assigned to a team based on the team's allocation order, or a lottery (in the case of USMNT players returning to the U.S.), or the team can use a discovery pick, but a team can just buy a DP without needing to go through that rigmarole. Mind you, DPs need special league F.O. approval.

DangerRed
04-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Does this mean Gargan is getting benched? Because if this guy is good quality and we can bring Dan on for the last 15 minutes of games to have him shut 'em down, that would be fantastic.

And too bad about Bouchiba being out for the rest of the season (and maybe the one after that too). Horrible injury, but at least we're able to use the international slot to shore up our back line a bit more.

Red CB Toronto
04-01-2011, 09:16 AM
TFC is "Country Strong" for sure now, I know many people don't thing think the Reds can carry it on, but we have to believe that Winter and company are "Country Strong"

It will be alright, I know some of us can not forget or forgive what Mo did on some of those nights, but the sun will shine and the Reds will be fine.

BFin
04-01-2011, 09:25 AM
^^^^
What?

Gazza
04-01-2011, 09:32 AM
TFC is "Country Strong" for sure now, I know many people don't thing think the Reds can carry it on, but we have to believe that Winter and company are "Country Strong"

It will be alright, I know some of us can not forget or forgive what Mo did on some of those nights, but the sun will shine and the Reds will be fine.

I think we're more acid jazz than anything.

DangerRed
04-01-2011, 09:37 AM

Bit early to be drinking, no?

BFin
04-01-2011, 09:38 AM
WE ARE COUNTRY STRONG!!!! lol

jabbronies
04-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Did anyone see him play in preseason? How did he look? Was he at least competent?

backbeat
04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Did anyone see him play in preseason? How did he look? Was he at least competent?

geez I really hope we're bringing on players who more than just 'competent' - trusting Winter and gang have higher expectations...

Pachuco
04-01-2011, 10:08 AM

Yeap he played in North Carolina. I was kind of neutral on him but he really didn't get much playing time at all. That's why I find it really weird that Winter didn't continue to play him if he thought there was a chance of signing him. I mean, that's what preseason is for, and we sure did play the heck out of other trialists.

Anyways back to what I saw from him, he's big and strong, although I don't think he looked fast, but I could be wrong. I do remember not being impressed with his passing ability. But again, some playing time could change that opinion.

Nicholas982
04-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Release The Gargan?

Seconded.

He fit in with Preki's system. Not so much Winters'.

Fort York Redcoat
04-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I think we're more acid jazz than anything.

Rotterdam hardcore.

Whoop
04-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I think you got the wrong city Pete... LOL

Fort York Redcoat
04-01-2011, 11:10 AM

This signing feels like taking what we can get only because in preseason Winter wouldn't even comment on his play when directly asked about "the new guy"

Brooker
04-01-2011, 11:15 AM
TFC sign Jamaican international Ricardo Fuller... :o

Bobinhood
04-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Well the new boy looked good pretty well at LB on Sat, so if Dicoy can play RB Nana and Cann in the middle, we may start to sort out the messy pile of poop that has been disguised as a defence thus far.

Gargan must never be used in the defence again.

The other new boy and Julian have the makings of a strong pairing in the midfield that can support help the defence and get forward also.

If those 2 play in front of that 4 and the defence solidifys, i would say Miacon, Orange Shoesavic and Martina will make up the lost goals pretty well and we may have ourselves a team here.

Thrillos
04-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Well the new boy looked good pretty well at LB on Sat, so if Dicoy can play RB Nana and Cann in the middle, we may start to sort out the messy pile of poop that has been disguised as a defence thus far.

Gargan must never be used in the defence again.

The other new boy and Julian have the makings of a strong pairing in the midfield that can support help the defence and get forward also.

If those 2 play in front of that 4 and the defence solidifys, i would say Miacon, Orange Shoesavic and Martina will make up the lost goals pretty well and we may have ourselves a team here.

Our defense is still pretty bad, I know alot of people like Nana and Cann, but we need a competent, soccer smart Centre back that either Nana or Cann pair up with.

Because neither of the are competent enough to lead a back line. Maybe Nana in the future but not now. Cann definitely can't do it now or ever.

KGH
04-03-2011, 04:22 PM
What if our backline became:

Borman----Nana---Williams----Yourass

I like the speed of this back 4.

dupont
04-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Rotterdam hardcore.

Very well played!

Red CB Toronto
04-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Decoy was gracious enough to sign the two photos I had of him from TFC's pre-season in South Carolina, happy to see him get another opportunity with the Reds.

Thrillos
04-03-2011, 04:47 PM

Borman and Yourass are both LB, but i think if one could go to the right that would be better than what we have now. Williams looked decent in his 25 minutes on saturday but i'm not sure he's the guy we need anchoring our defense

KGH
04-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Borman and Yourass are both LB, but i think if one could go to the right that would be better than what we have now. Williams looked decent in his 25 minutes on saturday but i'm not sure he's the guy we need anchoring our defense

100% Agree. But what else do we have? Cann's limitations are exposed in the new system. I'm hoping Winter can work with the new kids and give us something.

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2011, 08:48 AM

I don't see the speed from Williams. He was a body out there and I think he'll be a ball winner but his start looked a bit nervous to me. That said I give him another game to change that. He absolutely 0mins to gel with the team.

DichioTFC
04-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I don't see the speed from Williams. He was a body out there and I think he'll be a ball winner but his start looked a bit nervous to me. That said I give him another game to change that. He absolutely 0mins to gel with the team.

If they were together in Charleston, they had a bit of time to gel, but you're right, the defensive performance should be better in the coming games.

I liked how Williams played last Saturday. He read the play well and stepped up when he should have (something Cann and Nana don't do as well as other defenders in the league). I'd like to see him defend more incoming long balls before giving him a pass, but it looks good so far.

I'm sure Williams will find playing time, but how does the first team officially look? Nana on the right, Dicoy as CB? Dicoy as cover for CanNana?

ryan
04-05-2011, 12:34 PM

I recall one moment in the Chivas game he was beat on the wing but managed to get back into play.

Got some really long strides and can cover ground quicker than it seems I think.