PDA

View Full Version : DeRo gesture helps ease club-fan relationship

jabbronies
03-29-2011, 08:05 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/dero-gesture-helps-ease-fan-club-relationship

CretanBull
03-29-2011, 08:53 PM
:thumbsup:

Pachuco
03-30-2011, 08:24 AM
This thread is awefully quiet for a Dero thread. Of course, it's more interesting to talk about Dero's twittering in 3 threads then talk about his kind gesture.

I'll be the first to say it in this thread. Dero's actions were classy. Captain like, and I sure as hell I'm glad he's our captain. He's never done anything to offend the supporter's themselves. Somehow though some supporter's have taken his public disagreement with the club personally and it's unfortunate. His battle should be with the FO and the FO only, just as supporter's constantly battle with the FO we should understand that he has his disagreements as well with them.

I for one I'm glad you are still on this team Dero!

drewski
03-30-2011, 08:27 AM
classy move. my respect meter just went back up a bit.

Fort York Redcoat
03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Classy. And the DeRo beat goes on...

Please don't do anything do to ruin it.

Roogsy
03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
This thread is awefully quiet for a Dero thread. Of course, it's more interesting to talk about Dero's twittering in 3 threads then talk about his kind gesture.

I'll be the first to say it in this thread. Dero's actions were classy. Captain like, and I sure as hell I'm glad he's our captain. He's never done anything to offend the supporter's themselves. Somehow though some supporter's have taken his public disagreement with the club personally and it's unfortunate. His battle should be with the FO and the FO only, just as supporter's constantly battle with the FO we should understand that he has his disagreements as well with them.

This.

Of course, it's much easier to get up in arms about a gesture that doesn't affect us than it is to appreciate one that does.

If anything shows the fickle nature of fans in this city, this thread just proved it.

ManUtd4ever
03-30-2011, 08:33 AM

I agree with your sentiments Pachuco. I think the reason why this thread is quiet is out of respect, so that DeRo's heart felt gesture towards a family that is grieving doesn't turn into another senseless DeRo debate.

It was a class act, I'm sure it's greatly appreciated, and it should be left at that.

Cashcleaner
03-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Yep. I pretty much agree with everything Pachuco is saying. DeRo has shown nothing but the utmost respect for the supporters.

Parkdale
03-30-2011, 08:37 AM
This.

Of course, it's much easier to get up in arms about a gesture that doesn't affect us than it is to appreciate one that does.

If anything shows the fickle nature of fans in this city, this thread just proved it.

just his gesture on saturday was only understood by a small handfull of people (more now thanks to the article, but it's still a small number)

his check signing action was LOUD and clear to everyone, and was post-goal, so the cameras were rolling.

while I agree that people (in general) would reather complain about things than praise positive things - it's about the size of the audience.

the check signing made BIG headlines - the banner signing was for us to know about, not for the world to see.

parma
03-30-2011, 08:43 AM

Here, here...man plays hard, classy with his actions on Saturday...without him we would be nowhere....one thing that also speaks volume, is he is there for his country when called upon...that shows a true indication of his character...

TOBOR !
03-30-2011, 08:48 AM
^^ People can only comment about what they see or hear.

This gesture, though, probably says more about DeRo the person than any others that have been discussed, and the impact felt is tenfold.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-30-2011, 08:48 AM
its really cool and a greatly appreciated gesture, it shows respect for the fans but does it really ease the tension?

Ive more or less forgiven him for his actions before this (although ill never look at him in the same way) but it still doesnt address where he is with the club itself, which is still a major concern (to me at least)

SuperTCP
03-30-2011, 08:49 AM
pure class.

pekduck
03-30-2011, 08:53 AM
This was a very classy action by DeRo and we shall keep our respect to this gesture in this thread and not refer to any other DeRo related discussion/threads in the past/future.

Keep this one clean :)

Technorgasm
03-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Following TFC (http://www.torontofc.ca/)’s 2-0 victory over the Portland Timbers (http://www.portlandtimbers.com/), Dwayne De Rosario (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/dwayne-de-rosario) ran towards the Red Patch Boys section to a banner recognizing Rodrigo Novoa, a well-known member of the group who died suddenly last week.
With the banner in hand, he held it aloft to honor the supporter’s memory. He then took it back with him into the TFC dressing room where he made sure that it was signed by the team and returned to the family as a token of appreciation.
“It was a great gesture by a player that has had a lot of controversy around him,” said Boris Aguilar, president of the supporters group. “The Red Patch Boys feel very grateful for the gesture and I can assure you, the family feels the same way.”

DERO IS OUR CAPTAIN!
DERO IS A RED!
DERO IS FROM TOR-ON-TO!
A CHAMPION BORN AND BRED!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjPbTNLn0Zc

Whoop
03-30-2011, 08:57 AM
This was a very classy action by DeRo and we shall keep our respect to this gesture in this thread and not refer to any other DeRo related discussion/threads in the past/future.

Keep this one clean :)

It indeed was a classy move.

Wull
03-30-2011, 09:16 AM
I agree with your sentiments Pachuco. I think the reason why this thread is quiet is out of respect, so that DeRo's heart felt gesture towards a family that is grieving doesn't turn into another senseless DeRo debate.

It was a class act, I'm sure it's greatly appreciated, and it should be left at that.

This, I have wanted to say it in a few of the current threads but it just seemed wrong given that there would be counter-points from the ongoing discussion against Dero and it would look a bit tasteless amidst it all

Menelaos
03-30-2011, 09:21 AM
I was already a fan...this sealed it for me.

billyfly
03-30-2011, 09:32 AM
It was a great heart felt gesture. Although it was to the family, it resonated to the whole RPB and TFC fan in general.

RedsYNWA
03-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Good move by Dero my respect meter has lifted from 2/10 to 7/10
Keep it Up

FluSH
03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Thank you to DeRo - This goes beyond words, it will never be forgotten.

C.Ronaldo
03-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Im behind him 100%

and my condolences to the Novoa family.

TFCRegina
03-30-2011, 10:23 AM
De Rosario is a classy individual and the club will be at a loss if they get rid of him.

RIP Rodrigo.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Condolences to the family

Brooker
03-30-2011, 10:51 AM
good on dero. rip.

when you wrote this the thread was barely 20 minutes old... at 9 in the morning.... give us a chance! :o

Parkdale
03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
when you wrote this the thread was barely 20 minutes old... at 9 in the morning.... :o

we need immediate feedback. no waiting!!!!

Super Cereal
03-30-2011, 10:54 AM
I criticized him a fair bit in the offseason, but I have to give him kudos. DeRo is the captain of this team, and that was the act of a captain who cares about a team and it's supporters.

Condolences to family and friends.

v00d00daddy
03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
A very classy move by DeRo.

As was mentioned several times, by several posters, in the post game thread and all the talk about that garbage article written by the Sun.

That's part of the reason this thread isn't getting a whole lot of responses.

Again, a very nice thing to do on DeRo's part.

JuliquE
03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
There are a couple of really disappointing posts, here.

Shame on you for not taking the higher road and avoiding words that may ignite a flame war.. calling people out, as you have.

The thread was actually started in the evening and, obviously, the bulk of traffic is during the day.. whilst most SHOULD be working. :p Not to mention that there is already a lot of disgust, here, in response to the Sun article on the subject.

How ironic that your posts were aimed at turning up a nose at others.

::EdiT::

Forgot to add (shame on me): condolences to the families affected, including the RPB

Pookie
03-30-2011, 12:36 PM
It was a very nice gesture and reminded me of why "TFC" is different than other sports teams in the city... accessibility and relationship with the fans.

Good on him and the other players for participating.

Jeffro
03-30-2011, 12:44 PM
There are a couple of really disappointing posts, here.

Shame on you for not taking the higher road and avoiding words that may ignite a flame war.. calling people out, as you have.

The thread was actually started in the evening and, obviously, the bulk of traffic is during the day.. whilst most SHOULD be working. :p Not to mention that there is already a lot of disgust, here, in response to the Sun article on the subject.

How ironic that your posts were aimed at turning up a nose at others.

Big +1

Very classy move by DeRo, and very much appreciated. It was my first time in 112, and this moment almost brought tears to my eyes. Thanks Dwayne, and much love to Carlos and the Novoa family.

Pachuco
03-30-2011, 01:33 PM
good on dero. rip.

when you wrote this the thread was barely 20 minutes old... at 9 in the morning.... give us a chance! :o

Actually, it was started at 9pm ;).

Keep in mind I posted what I posted when the thread was empty. I thought it deserved the recognition that it's getting now. That's all.

Brooker
03-30-2011, 03:17 PM
9pm.. 9am... same thing. :D

ilikemusic
03-30-2011, 04:49 PM

This has been my stance all along. DeRo is far and away the best player in franchise history, one of the best players in the league, and the only consistent performer this club has ever known.

I never took offence to his 'cheque signing' celebration. The front office has fucked around the fans for five years, why is it so hard for people to accept that DeRo got fucked around, and feels rightly pissed about it. I was certainly not going to take MLSE's side in a dispute with the team's best player.

Alonso
03-30-2011, 10:42 PM

This.

GlenM
03-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Great stuff DeRo.

GlenM

Jamaicanadian
03-31-2011, 07:43 AM
When DeRo draped himself in the banner and jogged away I was moved....

Parkdale
03-31-2011, 07:47 AM
oh yeah, if you weren't there to see it

2vbwRhWKWh8