PDA

View Full Version : MSL Power Rankings Week 2

Batman
03-29-2011, 06:34 PM
A bit of an improvement after starting at the bottom of the heap last week.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/mls-power-rankings-week-2

Philly at 5 is a bit hard to imagine.

boban
03-29-2011, 06:48 PM
A bit of an improvement after starting at the bottom of the heap last week.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/mls-power-rankings-week-2

Philly at 5 is a bit hard to imagine.
I'll say. Especially when their goal seemed a bit iffy and was with a man up.

ginkster88
03-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Still can't get over "BIMBO".

Batman
03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
haha. they say it's pronounced beembo... but it's bimbo to me!

tfcleeds
03-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Still can't get over "BIMBO".

Can't quite understand why a Mexican company would be the shirt sponsor of a team based in Philadelphia. I mean, I could understand it with Chivas, but Philly?

Quote from a Philadelphia message board:

"Hard to see soccer moms dressing their kids in shirts that say "Bimbo" (my wife has already said no way)"

Ossington Mental Youth
03-29-2011, 09:03 PM
cant imagine Vancouver being so high either

Carts
03-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Even if we win 2-0 over Chivas - we won't jump much in the rankings (not that they matter - but they are an interesting read and I always check/read them) as they have them in the basement...

But, seeing as they've fallen to Colorado and KC, we shouldn't be expecting a "Portland" on Saturday... Despite all the players away, both games were 1-goal losses...

Carts...

Detroit_TFC
03-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Can't quite understand why a Mexican company would be the shirt sponsor of a team based in Philadelphia. I mean, I could understand it with Chivas, but Philly?

Quote from a Philadelphia message board:

"Hard to see soccer moms dressing their kids in shirts that say "Bimbo" (my wife has already said no way)"

BIMBO opened a regional facility in suburban Philly, making a big push into the northeast market.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
03-30-2011, 09:48 AM
cant imagine Vancouver being so high either

*snickers*

Ossington Mental Youth
03-30-2011, 09:57 AM
*snickers*

well played

tfcleeds
03-30-2011, 10:03 AM
BIMBO opened a regional facility in suburban Philly, making a big push into the northeast market.

Yeah, after doing a bit more research, I see that Bimbo purchased a number of bakeries in the Philadelphia area. They now have brands such as Entenmann's and Thomas under their umbrella. They're also making a big push to go national with their products.

Still, kinda funny that there was much hand-wringing over those "tough" Philly fans having to wear "BIMBO" emblazoned across their chests!

http://i51.tinypic.com/2hg5ti0.jpg

Vancity RED
03-30-2011, 10:14 AM
^ Hmpf. Could be one of those things where it's so ridiculous it turns out to be cool. "I'll punch your face in"? I have a new respect for the Beembos.

ginkster88
03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
WTF. That billboard makes no sense whatsoever.

I see their US push going over about as well as the Nova.

tfcleeds
03-30-2011, 10:26 AM
WTF. That billboard makes no sense whatsoever.

I see their US push going over about as well as the Nova.

Pretty sure that's a photoshop by a Union fan, but I lol'd as it's typical Philly.

Haha, yeah, Chevy Nova in Mexico. Great marketing research there.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-30-2011, 10:34 AM
christ the US can come off like a bunch of squares when they cry about shit like "bimbo" on the front of their jerseys

2mil4dero+santo
03-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Chivas lost to portland in USOC, we might have another 3 points this weekend.

djking2
03-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Pretty sure that's a photoshop by a Union fan, but I lol'd as it's typical Philly.

Haha, yeah, Chevy Nova in Mexico. Great marketing research there.

for the record Bimbo has owned Weston Bakeries here in Canada for a few years now. Whether or not they'll be successful in integrating the corporate name in N. American culture is up in the air I suppose. Their success in dominating the market is pretty much a done deal.

DangerRed
03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
for the record Bimbo has owned Weston Bakeries here in Canada for a few years now. Whether or not they'll be successful in integrating the corporate name in N. American culture is up in the air I suppose. Their success in dominating the market is pretty much a done deal.

Stop misinforming people. Weston Bakeries is owned by Weston Foods, which is a subsidiary of George Weston Ltd.

tfcleeds
03-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Weston Bakeries US properties are owned by Bimbo - the Canadian operations are still owned by George Weston Ltd., yes.

Parkdale
03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
yeah, Vancouver is completely out of wack.

they shot from 16th to 8th in week one because they beat Toronto.
Now they drop 2 points after losing to Philly.

:icon_bs:

an expansion team beating an "almost" expansion team (TFC) shouldn't shoot them from 16th to 8th.

that's just crazy talk.

Alixir
03-30-2011, 12:36 PM
love how New York tied 0-0 and has scored 1 goal so far and moved from 5th --> 4th.

tfcleeds
03-30-2011, 12:37 PM
^Guy even admitted that Agudelo's goal for the US (which of course, has nothing to do NYRB, but whatever) was a factor in the ranking...so I assume if Dero ever scores a hat-trick for Canada, we'll move up a few spots.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Gotta say Ives' power rankings are crap too.
Dont care.
I hope we win a ton just to put an end to the nay sayers nevermind the fact I wanna see us win and we deserve it (as fans)

ag futbol
03-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Dont care.
I hope we win a ton just to put an end to the nay sayers nevermind the fact I wanna see us win and we deserve it (as fans)
Yes you have to admit they are a bit of a logical fail.

The two bottom ranked teams face off in week one. So logically how much further up can one win send the victor? apparently 8 spots.

Pardon my cynicism, but there was nothing that impressive about us getting stomped 4-2. Any team would have beat us by that margin with the gifts our defenders were dolling out.

ginkster88
03-30-2011, 03:58 PM
christ the US can come off like a bunch of squares when they cry about shit like "bimbo" on the front of their jerseys

Squares? How about self-respecting sports fans? I'd be fucking pissed if TFC pulled a sponsor like that.

ginkster88
03-30-2011, 04:01 PM

Market domination via owning successful brands is very different from successfully integrating your unique brand into an established market. Sure, those brands that are doing well in the space are under your umbrella, but your consumers don't know who you are from Adam.

tfcleeds
03-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Could be worse...I mean, this is just a shirt sponsor. You could always be supporting a club, like Deportivo Wanka.

nfitz
03-30-2011, 04:33 PM
I assumed that was a joke until I googled it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Wanka

Seems to help their shirt sales ...

rocker
03-30-2011, 07:23 PM

The thing is, the original power rankings in sports, like Jeff Sagarin's were mathematical formulas, often to rank college football teams that don't play each other. They would consider the difficultly of a team's schedule.

But power rankings are pointless for MLS, since teams play each other in the same league, home and away. And Ive's ratings involve no math. It's just subjective.