PDA

View Full Version : Martina

Corpand
03-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Didn't want to start a whole thread on this, but wanted to share some info on a potential fan-favourite Martina. Got to talk to him a little bit a few days ago (Yonge & Dundas).

What struck the me the most was the balls he had to come over here and as he said, "start over again". He is a player of quite some skill but spent most of his career playing in youth teams and getting a sub appearance here or there.
He told me the love of football, the coach (he has known Winter for over 5 years) and the want to prove himself is what drove him to Toronto. He didnt mention any names but said he was very close to joining a Eerste Division club (Holland's 2nd division) before De Clerk called him up with the TFC offer.
I got the feeling he is really passionate to be successful but stagnated on the bench at Ajax, with younger and more skilled players taking his spot.
His family, girlfriend are all back home but the familiarity with the staff is helping him cope with the new country. Plus he said he didnt mind the cold, was actually used to it.
I told him about some of the older talent we have had before (Robert for one) and he said that many of the older guys lose their passion to play in front of fans, especially when they start feeling their bodies working against them.
That's all i really got from him, but told him to relax, enjoy the game and the fans will be behind you 100% when that whistle is blown during the home opener.

I'm definitely glad he started, technically this is his first club in a long time where he is a starter and I only see him getting better from there.:scarf:

Huyton
03-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Saturdays 2nd goal was so good, it deserves to be immortalized in song. So, I humbly submit (to the tune of That's Amore and with massive apologies to the estate of Dean Martin):

It's a long kick from Frei
The ball drops from the sky
To Martina

It bounces one time
Then a volley sublime
From Martina

It's a thunderous shot
and the goalie cannot
Stop Martina

He brought Victory
And he wears 33
Our Martina!

Ben - D.O.W.
03-28-2011, 11:46 AM
That song, sir, is fantastic. And now stuck in my head.

Pigfynn
03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Saturdays 2nd goal was so good, it deserves to be immortalized in song. So, I humbly submit (to the tune of That's Amore and with massive apologies to the estate of Dean Martin):

To Martina

It bounces one time
Then a volley sublime
From Martina

It's a thunderous shot
and the goalie cannot
Stop Martina

He brought Victory
And he wears 33
Our Martina!

:D Well done! :scarf:

yanggoh
03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
That song, sir, is fantastic. And now stuck in my head.

Make that two of us.

Mark TFC
03-28-2011, 12:02 PM
^ Three. Great, great song.

ACSertL
03-28-2011, 12:05 PM

To Martina

It bounces one time
Then a volley sublime
From Martina

It's a thunderous shot
and the goalie cannot
Stop Martina

He brought Victory
And he wears 33
Our Martina!

Absolutely brilliant!

Edit: The stuff the OP posted was very encouraging as well :)

denime
03-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Sad part is that our previus management last spring did not want to sign him. :facepalm:

brad
03-28-2011, 12:27 PM
He looks to be a real find. He's a bit slow but seems to have the skill to compensate.

MG42
03-28-2011, 12:56 PM

To Martina

It bounces one time
Then a volley sublime
From Martina

It's a thunderous shot
and the goalie cannot
Stop Martina

He brought Victory
And he wears 33
Our Martina!

put this in the bank, it has to get done!

Redcoe15
03-28-2011, 01:00 PM

To Martina

It bounces one time
Then a volley sublime
From Martina

It's a thunderous shot
and the goalie cannot
Stop Martina

He brought Victory
And he wears 33
Our Martina!
:hurray: Bravo! Bravo!

C.Ronaldo
03-28-2011, 01:23 PM
he was quick enough to get by the defender

thats quick enough for me

swan
03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
good stuff..

JamboAl
03-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks to the OP for sharing the story and to Huyton for the song. Now I've got it in my head.

Huyton
03-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I worry that he'll do so well here that he'll head back Europe. I thunk we should enjoy his skill, talent and attitude while we can.

The two goals he scored were so different, that you'd normally expect them to be scored by two different players. It makes me wonder what else he's got in his arsenal.

And if this is the sort of player that Winter and Co. want here, then I think we're in for a treat!

Well done, Javier...may your stay in Toronto be long and fruitful!

Whoop
03-28-2011, 05:07 PM
He looks to be a real find. He's a bit slow but seems to have the skill to compensate.

I don't think he's slow. But considering he blew out his knee not too long ago, I think his speed will come back.

ensco
03-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Bravo on that song!

Martina has played for the just-dissolved Netherlands Antilles national team (he'll play for Curacao now). That team has a certain obscure/humorous notoriety. They are, by far, the smallest-ever holders of the Unofficial World Football Championship:

http://www.ufwc.co.uk/about/
http://www.ufwc.co.uk/2007/01/ufwc-classic-mexico-vs-dutch-antilles/

TOBOR !
03-28-2011, 05:46 PM
^ Ah, the Scots. Tirelessly inventing new ways to be 'unofficially' better than 'Old Blighty'.

nascarguy
03-28-2011, 06:49 PM

To Martina

It bounces one time
Then a volley sublime
From Martina

It's a thunderous shot
and the goalie cannot
Stop Martina

He brought Victory
And he wears 33
Our Martina!
that was a very lucky shot. he was in the right spot at the right time great goal.

ExiledRed
03-28-2011, 07:02 PM
that was a very lucky shot. he was in the right spot at the right time great goal.

Its called positioning.

trane
03-28-2011, 07:06 PM
^ exatamundo. When you understand the game you understand were to be. Clearly he does.

spark
03-28-2011, 07:16 PM

There was no luck in that goal everything about it was about hard work.

Luck would have been if he was bending over to tie his shoelaces and the ball hit him in the head and went in the net.

But I guess you are right - what's that expression? "The more I practice, the luckier I get"

cochrdoc
03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
He`s got 2 more goals then Chad I`m getting all that good sevice Barrett.It will be interesting to see how many goals he will get.

jloome
03-28-2011, 07:23 PM

Quite the contrary. If you watch the replay he looks up for a split second before the ball arrives to see where the keeper is. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Oldtimer
03-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Agreed with those above who say it was positioning. It was no accident or "luck" that he was where he was, and his finish was absolutely clinical.

Gazza
03-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Great run, great pass, great work rate to get to the ball and to get there to take it in stride. Topping it off with a great volley across the goalie on the far side of the net. Perfect technique.

I guess if i was that "lucky" i would be a professional too.

Nestease
03-28-2011, 10:42 PM
So far Martina's career choice seems to be paying off. He's getting some attention in the Netherlands this week.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.voetbalzone.nl%2Fdoc.asp%3Fuid% 3D141475&act=url

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/118006/Scorende_Martina:_Het_is_een_droom

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/118003/Martina_laat_van_zich_spreken_voor_Nederlands_Toro nto

http://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/site/nieuws/161550/Martina_trefzeker_voor_winnend_FC_Toronto.html

Whoop
03-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Judging from the comments, even the Dutch are impressed.

TFCRegina
03-28-2011, 10:52 PM
So far Martina's career choice seems to be paying off. He's getting some attention in the Netherlands this week.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.voetbalzone.nl%2Fdoc.asp%3Fuid% 3D141475&act=url

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/118006/Scorende_Martina:_Het_is_een_droom

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/118003/Martina_laat_van_zich_spreken_voor_Nederlands_Toro nto

http://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/site/nieuws/161550/Martina_trefzeker_voor_winnend_FC_Toronto.html

The one link has comments from people surprised there are so many at the game...

After four seasons of futility, I'm kind of surprised too! ;)

jojoflow
03-29-2011, 12:24 AM

To Martina

It bounces one time
Then a volley sublime
From Martina

It's a thunderous shot
and the goalie cannot
Stop Martina

He brought Victory
And he wears 33
Our Martina!

wow I love it
Yup I have a little man crush on Martina

jojoflow
03-29-2011, 12:26 AM
Didn't want to start a whole thread on this, but wanted to share some info on a potential fan-favourite Martina. Got to talk to him a little bit a few days ago (Yonge & Dundas).

What struck the me the most was the balls he had to come over here and as he said, "start over again". He is a player of quite some skill but spent most of his career playing in youth teams and getting a sub appearance here or there.
He told me the love of football, the coach (he has known Winter for over 5 years) and the want to prove himself is what drove him to Toronto. He didnt mention any names but said he was very close to joining a Eerste Division club (Holland's 2nd division) before De Clerk called him up with the TFC offer.
I got the feeling he is really passionate to be successful but stagnated on the bench at Ajax, with younger and more skilled players taking his spot.
His family, girlfriend are all back home but the familiarity with the staff is helping him cope with the new country. Plus he said he didnt mind the cold, was actually used to it.
I told him about some of the older talent we have had before (Robert for one) and he said that many of the older guys lose their passion to play in front of fans, especially when they start feeling their bodies working against them.
That's all i really got from him, but told him to relax, enjoy the game and the fans will be behind you 100% when that whistle is blown during the home opener.

I'm definitely glad he started, technically this is his first club in a long time where he is a starter and I only see him getting better from there.:scarf:

cool e seems like a nice dude too thanks for posting this its nice to be able to get to know the players
Being in Sask I can go out to the events in Toronto to meet the players

jojoflow
03-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Quite the contrary. If you watch the replay he looks up for a split second before the ball arrives to see where the keeper is. He knew exactly what he was doing.

lol ya anyone that can time a run off the keepers kick that well
take the hit off the first bounce off over the keeper to the far side of the net
hit the post and in
has way too much luck if it was just him having good luck

sorry if this does not make a lot of sense but im trying to peice all the facts of the goal for people that just think its a lucky goal

Martina did to much in the goal for it to be just lucky

ps it was anice pass from Frei I just hope Martina can keep on scoring an playing good

romburgundy
03-29-2011, 02:24 AM
I think he's going to do great things for our club. At the same time lets not jump the gun and get our mancrushes and bromances on yet. Remember Robert he had one in his debut, Barret had 2 and I think Ricketts had a couple too. While I still have fond memories of watching them all play. They didn't really get the results you expect from someone that gives you 2 goals in a home opener.

He does sound like a great guy and I like the song too.
DMn it now I'm sucked into the mancrush fest

jojoflow
03-30-2011, 01:40 PM
I think he's going to do great things for our club. At the same time lets not jump the gun and get our mancrushes and bromances on yet. Remember Robert he had one in his debut, Barret had 2 and I think Ricketts had a couple too. While I still have fond memories of watching them all play. They didn't really get the results you expect from someone that gives you 2 goals in a home opener.

LOL ya I know I hope he keepsplaying good I thought Martina plyed well in Vancouver. He is player TFC has ben missing a winger tha can bat players 1 v 1, he is pretty fast and he will ge faster, he has great movement ff the ball he was always open and know where to be and he seems like he i a pass first kinda guy. He uses he skill with he ball to beat players than he look for an open man. TFC players just have to keep working as a team.

brad
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
LOL ya I know I hope he keepsplaying good I thought Martina plyed well in Vancouver. He is player TFC has ben missing a winger tha can bat players 1 v 1, he is pretty fast and he will ge faster, he has great movement ff the ball he was always open and know where to be and he seems like he i a pass first kinda guy. He uses he skill with he ball to beat players than he look for an open man. TFC players just have to keep working as a team.

He's not fast, he's pretty slow actually.

How exactly do you think he'll get faster?

Pachuco
03-30-2011, 03:14 PM
He's not fast, he's pretty slow actually.

How exactly do you think he'll get faster?

Martina is pretty slow? are you referring to the same Javier Martina?

Harden is pretty slow. Martina is in no way slow.

J .
03-30-2011, 03:31 PM
He played good and I hope to see more of that, but like that it was only one game. Robert had a good game or two, same with Ricketts. We need consistent good performances out wide.

I hope he can continue to score and provide width to our attack.

Whoop
03-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Considering he blew out his ACL last season, and it usually takes a good full year to get full mobility back, I think he will get faster.

ginkster88
03-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Generally the speed doesn't come back.

Whoop
03-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Then just imagine how fast he was before. :eek:

Because I don't think he's slow.

ginkster88
03-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Then just imagine how fast he was before. :eek:

Because I don't think he's slow.

To steal from the NFL, he "plays quick". This is a combination of soccer smarts (knowing where he needs to be) and athleticism (getting there as efficiently as possible). If you watch his second goal he's not out-pacing the defender.. if anything the defender is closing him down. The key is that he has a better sense of the field than the defense, so he's more efficient in going to the right place and is in position to make the play.

I think his straight-line speed is above-average for the league, but he's not going to run around the defense a la Gareth Bale (first example to pop in my head).

ben_vw
03-30-2011, 05:21 PM

Not to be knit-picky, but...

Robert - debut in a 4-1 loss to DC. No goals.
Barrett - debut in a 2-0 loss to Dallas. No goals.
Ricketts - debut in a 1-0 win over RSL. No goals.

A lot can happen between now and the end of the season, but Martina was one of brighter spots every time I watched Toronto play this pre-season. After two matches this season, he's been one of the brighter spots as well.

ArmenJBX
03-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Dude, cmon, Barrett had goals. Not many, but he did score semi-consistently

brad
03-30-2011, 06:33 PM

He looked slow from where I was sitting - he was on my side if the field.

brad
03-30-2011, 06:37 PM
To steal from the NFL, he "plays quick". This is a combination of soccer smarts (knowing where he needs to be) and athleticism (getting there as efficiently as possible). If you watch his second goal he's not out-pacing the defender.. if anything the defender is closing him down. The key is that he has a better sense of the field than the defense, so he's more efficient in going to the right place and is in position to make the play.

He does look very promising in this regard. MLS defenses don't tend to be very intelligent. It will be interesting to see how he does against some of the better defenses in the league though.

rocker
03-30-2011, 07:05 PM
He looked slow from where I was sitting - he was on my side if the field.

clearly you sit on the slow side of the stadium.

brad
03-30-2011, 07:57 PM
clearly you sit on the slow side of the stadium.

Clearly I have a different opinion than you.

Carts
03-30-2011, 10:41 PM
I think its fair for people to say "the jury is out" on Martina - as we have played two expansion clubs...

As of right now, it looks very promising - and I am liking what I am seeing...

But I will reserve judgment on his skill, vision, creativity, even speed, until after a few more matches...

I like the kid, like the story of coming here to get a chance to show his stuff, love the two finishes vs Portland (both calm - one in close and one with more pizazz, both with movement into the attack, ) both were quality....

I hope he keeps'r'going - but its fair to pause full judgment until we see him take on the big boys in the league...

I'm in the kids corner! Keep it up Martina...
Carts...

Doucet3
03-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Martina was giving it on the wing, he's got feet aswell, reminds me of a MLS Nani lol

snoopdog
03-31-2011, 01:56 PM

To Martina

It bounces one time
Then a volley sublime
From Martina

It's a thunderous shot
and the goalie cannot
Stop Martina

He brought Victory
And he wears 33
Our Martina!

:drinking:
With beer in hand I could hear it now; this is just brilliant!