PDA

View Full Version : Imitation is the sincerest form of..... UPDATED

Parkdale
03-27-2011, 08:01 PM
flattery?

have a look at this video that came up after yesterday's match.
XsqDJoMVjKo

Be honest, does it remind you of something?
Something you've been seeing for years around here?
I guess that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Right?

Just in this case, it's a TFC staffer (http://www.sportsconnectto.com/jonathansinden.html) tagging along with the march and sitting
in the south end to show you (the ticket buying public) how fun it is to be a supporter! buy now!

and his comment on the video:

"Let me know if you ever want to come to a game. I know a guy who knows a guy.
No names. Seriously, I can put you in touch with my ticketing guy and he can set you up."
^ no shit you 'know a guy' - you work for MLSE as their Social Media Director. Don't front like you aren't on the payroll.

Having 'social media marketers' inside the marches and inside the supporter's seats is doing a disservice to all of us.
But hey, they are on the OUTSIDE looking in.

2vbwRhWKWh8

^notice some differences in how we saw the same day?

Notice that one video directed you to the merchandise booth, and one didn't.
One told you to buy 50/50 tickets, and one was with real supporters.

Everyone knows, yesterday's march had a deep undertone.
We were marching behind a memorial banner for a reason.
PLEASE don't turn our marches into marketing tools.
Using a photo of the south end to sell tickets is part of deal. We understand that.
Having an MLSE staffer shoot video inside our marches and use it to sell seats?

That's insulting, not flattering.

pekduck
03-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Well said Parky. Well said.

zeelaw
03-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Thought the same when I saw it, what do you tell the guy though... Fuck off?

adamdz
03-27-2011, 08:21 PM

Ya, hopefully he gets that on video.

uncle p
03-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I like how he referred to it as the season opener and not the home opener. So maybe Vancouver away was just a bad dream

TorCanSoc
03-27-2011, 08:30 PM
MLSE reacting to not selling out their season ticket base this year?

Does seem icky.

Maybe a video of one of us pissing in his beer would help.

Wagner
03-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Couldn't he get the rights to show the 2nd goal in his vid?? ;)

bman27
03-27-2011, 08:42 PM
if you are going to make a video like this, and try to make it seem like a fan video,at least have a faceless intern do it, not the guy who's twitter you have directly linked to on your websites and social media.

bman27
03-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Couldn't he get the rights to show the 2nd goal in his vid?? ;)

nah he just knows a guy who knows a guy! :rolleyes:

AL-MO
03-27-2011, 08:47 PM
LOL

Nice video Parky.

AL-MO
03-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Using a photo of the south end to sell tickets is part of deal. We understand that.

We NEED to stop asking and starting demanding....

Yeoman
03-27-2011, 08:56 PM
sounds like a simple two stick al mo
just sayin

Parkdale
03-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Maybe a video of one of us pissing in his beer would help.

I have nothing against the guy personally.
his job is to sell the brand, and MLSE has a product
that they need help selling. That's business.

I just hope they can be more honest in their marketing.

How about a video of the team lifting a championship trophy? that would sell tickets.

Wagner
03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
I wonder if he'll go back to 113??

Juanito
03-27-2011, 09:13 PM
I have nothing against the guy personally.
his job is to sell the brand, and MLSE has a product
that they need help selling. That's business.

I just hope they can be more honest in their marketing.

How about a video of the team lifting a championship trophy? that would sell tickets.

HA HA HA! Quote of the night!!!

prizby
03-27-2011, 09:22 PM
it took me a while to figure out what the point of this was

and when i did figure out

Parky well said!...I wish I was there for the match!

Oldtimer
03-27-2011, 09:23 PM
One idea, Parkdale,

If he's the social media director, tell him to take a hike on Facebook. We don't need his type exploiting us.

denime
03-27-2011, 09:39 PM

NO, you take that camera from him and nicely ask him to bend over,after that is easy,shove that camera up his ass. :hump:

Roogsy
03-27-2011, 10:19 PM
LOL! You just had to catch me tweeting didnt you??? Ass... :lol:

Interesting quote from Mr "Thinker"s bio:

Jonathan consults others on listening, engaging and properly interacting

I wouldn't call what he did with us "proper"...this is your first and only warning my man. Don't do that again.

Waggy
03-27-2011, 10:24 PM
OOOOOoooooohhhh Johnny

Met the guy before, seems like a good guy. But... lets just say it's not only TFC supporters that aren't his biggest fans. To send a message, I'd recommend going straight to twitter, @bigthinkerjon. But you didn't hear it from me ;)

http://twitter.com/bigthinkerjon

Macksam
03-27-2011, 10:31 PM
That's sad to hear. How did he go?

denime
03-27-2011, 10:32 PM
LOL! You just had to catch me tweeting didnt you??? Ass... :lol:

Interesting quote from Mr "Thinker"s bio:

I wouldn't call what he did with us "proper"...this is your first and only warning my man. Don't do that again.

tweeting,eh? :D

Roogsy
03-27-2011, 10:33 PM
That's what the kids call it these days. :D

dupont
03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
This reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Moe is in a bar trying to get a date..

Woman: Oh, hi! Wanna join me for a Bacardi and soda?

Moe: (Surprised) Yeah, that'd be great! (Sits down.)

Woman: Or maybe you'd prefer a cool, refreshing Bacardi Coloda!

Moe: Sure, whatever...

Woman: Because Bacardi makes the night come alive - with freshness!

Moe: Uh, do you work for Bacardi?

Woman: (voice changes to sarcasm) No, I'm in love with you.

MG42
03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
This is from that guys business website:

http://www.bigthinker.ca/

We can create totally customized marketing initiatives and innovative media solutions to engage audience and
influence loyalty, without offending.

way to go big thinker hahahaha

CretanBull
03-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Before being a witness to the last few years, I NEVER would have believed that a front office could ever be so wrong, so often.

MG42
03-27-2011, 10:46 PM
^well said

denime
03-27-2011, 10:46 PM
^^^ Well, we are offended so there better not be another video.

Kyle_121
03-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Ticket sales are in the toilet, they're trying to come up with new ways to sell.

What is sickening is that AGAIN, the supporters and the environment we create at BMO Field are the key selling points. Us, the same supporters who were welcomed by the club with low year 1 prices who have now seen a 75% increase in year 5 in comparison to year 1.

Raging Reggie
03-27-2011, 11:04 PM
I bet on his spare time, he goes around and signs up old ladies on stupid gas contracts saying hes from Enbridge. He just comes off like a rat scumbag. ML$E drives me nuts. Its this type of shit they pull rather than the record on pitch is why i have soured some from TFC.

Juanito
03-27-2011, 11:18 PM
I bet on his spare time, he goes around and signs up old ladies on stupid gas contracts saying hes from Enbridge. He just comes off like a rat scumbag. ML$E drives me nuts. Its this type of shit they pull rather than the record on pitch is why i have soured some from TFC.

Reg, as a fellow Scouse, you should have grown some thicker skin from the G&H shit-show.

MLSE are definitely no angels, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Raging Reggie
03-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Reg, as a fellow Scouse, you should have grown some thicker skin from the G&H shit-show.

MLSE are definitely no angels, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Nah, LFC has a 119 year history. G&H were only a small and quick part of that history.

TFC on the other hand has been 5 years of ML$E sugercoating shit and raising prices. Its like they rub it in your face and dont hide the fact at all. Disgusting stuff from them. Shameless. Rubs me the wrong way. It apples and oranges. The LFC fans i think did do a part in running G&H out of town and put alot of pressure on them. We on the other hand dont really have a choice other than not showing up and having them not make a profit before they would give it up.

CretanBull
03-27-2011, 11:30 PM

I think we all can (for once!)....but using what clearly became a memorial march as a guerrilla marketting opportunity shows questionable judgement and quite possibly outright disrespect.

I realize that arrangements must have been made on their end to have their project filmed on the day of the home opener, but when buddy realized what was up he should have either called off the filming or changed his approach. If he didn't have the sense to do that, someone at TFC should have had the sense to not release the video - or edit it differently.

TFCRegina
03-28-2011, 12:10 AM
flattery?

have a look at this video that came up after yesterday's match.
XsqDJoMVjKo

Be honest, does it remind you of something?
Something you've been seeing for years around here?
I guess that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Right?

Just in this case, it's a TFC staffer (http://www.sportsconnectto.com/jonathansinden.html) tagging along with the march and sitting
in the south end to show you (the ticket buying public) how fun it is to be a supporter! buy now!

and his comment on the video:

No names. Seriously, I can put you in touch with my ticketing guy and he can set you up."
^ no shit you 'know a guy' - you work for MLSE as their Social Media Director. Don't front like you aren't on the payroll.

Having 'social media marketers' inside the marches and inside the supporter's seats is doing a disservice to all of us.
But hey, they are on the OUTSIDE looking in.

2vbwRhWKWh8

^notice some differences in how we saw the same day?

Notice that one video directed you to the merchandise booth, and one didn't.
One told you to buy 50/50 tickets, and one was with real supporters.

Watched it earlier today and felt it was fairly plastic.

TorontoGooner
03-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Up until now, I aways tried to remain balanced about the whole MLSE v Supporters Groups thing. After watching this, I feel I can't any more. This genuinely disturbs me how they think this is acceptable practice, its almost embarrassing.

Huyton
03-28-2011, 05:50 AM
I.

MLSE with a championship winning team?

They'll make us proud...after all, they've had so much practice.:picard:

Petor
03-28-2011, 05:59 AM
Guess what new video is up on the front page of the www.torontofc.ca (http://www.torontofc.ca) web site?
"March and Match" :facepalm:

denime
03-28-2011, 06:44 AM
^
Saw that one and left nice comment on you tube site. :puke:

Parky,you should post Video response there!

Mark in Ottawa
03-28-2011, 06:49 AM
I guess shots of the top of section 227, which was basically empty for the Portland game, doesn't help sell tickets.

Cashcleaner
03-28-2011, 07:10 AM
...and his comment on the video:

Don't you think that this part may be said in jest, though? I read it as a bit of a joke on his part, nothing to be taken seriously. I get what you're saying about the rest of it all, though.

Belfast_Boy
03-28-2011, 07:20 AM
get on facebook and youtube and tell them what you think.

denime
03-28-2011, 07:42 AM
get on facebook and youtube and tell them what you think.

THIS !

canadian_bhoy
03-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Fake viral videos and "Let's fool them" style digital advertising is the bottom of the barrel as far as I'm concerned.

Look at that iPhone hack video - you get one day of traffic and a month of people telling you to go fuck yourself.

News flash - people don't like being played for a fool. Especially by multi billion dollar conglomorates.

Transparency is the new way to go.

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Transparency is the new way to go.

exactly.

A honest explanation of the product and its benefits. Seems easy no?

The reason why I posted this here instead of on their wall - because you KNOW they're reading this too. Where else would they have heard that we were doing a march?

Cash - I understand that his language there is slightly tongue-in-cheek, BUT when you look at the entire context, it's downright dishonest.

London
03-28-2011, 08:08 AM
its a bad vid, simple as that.

people have noticed it is not genuine the first time it was posted.

look at the comments LOL

Oldtimer
03-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Fake viral videos and "Let's fool them" style digital advertising is the bottom of the barrel as far as I'm concerned.

Now that BMO Field has no fake turf, we shouldn't have to put up with Astroturfing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

BeerBaron95
03-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Now that BMO Field has no fake turf, we shouldn't have to put up with Astroturfing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

:picard:

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 08:35 AM
that was kinda funny actually

BeerBaron95
03-28-2011, 08:36 AM
that was kinda funny actually

nope

Oldtimer
03-28-2011, 08:40 AM
to each his own. :D

spark
03-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Where's Bill Hicks when you need him?

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2011, 09:58 AM
In the universe of outrages, this is minor. All the teams are doing stuff like this now. I know the video was made by the FO but I didn't think it was that bad. I'll reveal my darkest secret- I buy 50/50 tickets (occasionally) and stop at the merch table too. As long as the FO makes sure it is properly attributed as FO-produced material, vids like this are ok by me.

dupont
03-28-2011, 10:08 AM
In the universe of outrages, this is minor. All the teams are doing stuff like this now. I know the video was made by the FO but I didn't think it was that bad. I'll reveal my darkest secret- I buy 50/50 tickets (occasionally) and stop at the merch table too. As long as the FO makes sure it is properly attributed as FO-produced material, vids like this are ok by me.

I think that people don't realize how common social and viral marketing is. I actually really hate this kind of thing but I see it done everywhere for everything now. So I don't see why TFC would be immune to it.
This definitely bugs me but it bugs me in the way that I think society is just lame as hell now as a whole.. this is no better or worse... just how shitty things are these days.

I do wonder if people that work in such meaningless fields such as this really realize how unimportant and annoying their line of work really is?

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
I do wonder if people that work in such meaningless fields such as this really realize how unimportant and annoying their line of work really is?

I doubt it.

I appreciate that all major brands use social media advertising and marketing these days.

they should stick to fluff pieces like this:
ggL0hCBjRaU

and don't even get me started on how quickly marketers killed the 'flash mob' thing.

and watch the fake cop at the end. NOTHING about this is authentic.

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Fake social/viral content is kind of like negative political ads - every one hates it but it's effective so there's no getting rid of it.

MarkoftheDrink
03-28-2011, 10:48 AM
And Jon since you're a "Fan and supporter - of the fans and supporters of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, Toronto FC, Toronto Marlies, Real Sports brands, Leafs TV, NBA TV Canada, GOL TV Canada and the Team Up Foundation", I want to be a fan and supporter of any fan and supporter of the fans and supporters of TFC! So I'm going to help you out and give you a bit of free publicity.

**** mod note --- I've cleaned up a bit of this thread.

check my last post to see what's up. - parkdale

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 10:54 AM
^ hmm...... maybe we don't need to put his whole Sovcial Media Blogger / Tweeter identity out for public view?

or maybe it's all about being in the public view, and you're doing him a favour?

let me reiterate it once again guys - I have no problem with this guy, I DO have a probably with the marketing plan.

Sell the product on the field, and don't use the supporters as the story okay?

If you're coming to BMO because of the supporters, you have got it backwards.
Come for the TEAM, and BE a supporter. Please understand the difference.

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2011, 10:55 AM
^ YIKES I'VE BEEN EXPOSED - yes, I'm a shill for the FO. I've tricked all of you into thinking I'm a real supporter. Fools.

Give me a fucking break.

Pigfynn
03-28-2011, 10:56 AM
STOP DOING STUPID THINGS TFC!!!

Love,

Your undeservedly loyal fan base

ForestGlade
I don't think it's very effective anyways. Video only has 767 views

pekduck
^ hmm...... maybe we don't need to put his whole Sovcial Media Blogger / Tweeter identity out for public view?

or maybe it's all about being in the public view, and you're doing him a favour?

let me reiterate it once again guys - I have no problem with this guy, I DO have a probably with the marketing plan.

Sell the product on the field, and don't use the supporters as the story okay?

If you're coming to BMO because of the supporters, you have got it backwards.
Come for the TEAM, and BE a supporter. Please understand the difference.

highlighted for the importance of this basic differentiation

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 10:58 AM
^ YIKES I'VE BEEN EXPOSED - yes, I'm a shill for the FO. I've tricked all of you into thinking I'm a real supporter. Fools.

Give me a fucking break.

hahaha.... it's kinda funny.

now everyone is suspicious of everyone else

(and no.... Detroit_TFC isn't employed by mlse) hahahaha

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I don't think it's very effective anyways. Video only has 767 views

and I bet most of them were links from here.
it had less than a hundred before It made it's way on to our forum.

Technorgasm
03-28-2011, 11:00 AM
+ 1 For awesome Parky video.

ITS GOOD TO BE BACK!

but if I can add, I DO come to the match for the supporters. . to hang with the lads, to see my friends, we will be here LONG after every player that is currently on this roster has moved on.
we will be here if we win
we will be here if they lose
we will be here rain or shine

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 11:01 AM
+ 1 For awesome Parky video.

ITS GOOD TO BE BACK!

you're just lucky I didn't have a zoom lens, or I would have tape you dancing (aka raving) away in 111 with your technorbeats.

Technorgasm
03-28-2011, 11:08 AM
I know where your seat is. . . . I know where you stand. . I know where you Sleep. . . .

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 11:08 AM
UPDATE

"After I re-edit the video, taking the memorial march out, hope you find it enjoyable. jonathan"

The clip is being re-edited and changed.

let's hope that the people behind TFC's marketing machine understand why this was a problem, and aren't just doing it to avoid any further blowback.

MarkoftheDrink
03-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Great video!

DetroitTFC 18 hours ago

Fake social/viral content is kind of like negative political ads - every one hates it but it's effective so there's no getting rid of it.

Give me a fucking break.

if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....

cut it out - He's been here for years, and we know him. - Detroit's not working for them

now it looks like the comments on the youtube are being taken serisouly

BigThinker my ass. As a marketing professional myself, one of the key principals we strive to maintain regularly is integrity. In this case, integrity would include identifying yourself as a staffer of MLSE at the beginning of this video. If it's a promo video/sales tool, just say so. No big deal. But to present this as a view from a fan is shameless. And to do so on a day in which real supporters were honouring a lost friend, makes this even worse. ML$E at it once again. Poor job fellas. - Joah
Josh, I've made many videos for Leafs/Raptors/TFC/TeamUp charity & have not claimed I work at MLSE in any of them. I believe it's implied as the videos are posted on Official Websites/Youtube/Twitter/Faceb*ook. With that being said, I'll keep that in mind for future videos. As for this one, I was unaware of the significance of the march. I will edit & repost later. Be advised, I'm pretty sure all comments get deleted when the video does. Other thoughts, I'm willing to listen. jonathan

i said this at the town hall, and i'll say it again.
we've always been refered to as the "vocal minority". whenever we ask for something we're told that we represent only a "small fraction" of TFC fans; yet here we are again. he's the lot of us on youtube being used to represent an experience that's been refered to as "second to none".
we're on their promotional material.
we're on their website.
we're just that tiny little fraction that they use to to sell tickets.

(http://www.youtube.com/user/theirishembassy)
the video is being taken down, edited and re-posted later. Just thought i'd let you know, because I believe the comments get deleted when the video does. Feel free to re-post later. jonathan

Kyle_121
03-28-2011, 11:13 AM
ggL0hCBjRaU

http://i.imgur.com/I1Hhn.jpg

Technorgasm
03-28-2011, 11:14 AM
CV2 with Kardinal:
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 11:18 AM
http://i.imgur.com/I1Hhn.jpg

I loled pretty hard at that one.

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 11:57 AM
and their video is gone.

let me just put this out there - I love that the team gives us TFC TV
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/

I would be the happiest guy around (and most of you would be too)
if the real story was Toronto has a Championship Winning Football Club.
Sadly, that's not the story so they need to find some other way to wrap it up.

selling the supporters isn't the right way to go. It wasn't in year two, it's not in year 5.

CretanBull
03-28-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm glad that they edited out the march - that's what offended me. The sneaky and deceptive nature of the rest of the video is something that I've (sadly) come to expect from MLSE so I'm not bothered by it.

OH - and Detroit_TFC....I've got my eye on you! :D

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 01:30 PM
The sneaky and deceptive nature of the rest of the video is something that I've (sadly) come to expect from MLSE so I'm not bothered by it.

just when we think they've learned something.... back we go again.

TheKing7
03-28-2011, 02:15 PM
New edit???:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swOuwaorFHU&feature=feedu

TFCRegina
03-28-2011, 02:20 PM
hahaha.... it's kinda funny.

now everyone is suspicious of everyone else

(and no.... Detroit_TFC isn't employed by mlse) hahahaha

That's what you think.

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 02:21 PM
yep. He removed the march.

Props to him for doing it.

hopefully the bigger picture issue registered with them too - sell the team, NOT the supporters.

denime
03-28-2011, 02:31 PM
. I just want to let you know that I was not aware of the significance of the pre-match march. I just got off my bus and there it was. I do understand that this is a moment for you and your friends and not for public distribution and will delete this video and edit it out. I believe all comments get deleted too.
I'm always looking for ideas to share in this Youtube channel and the match experience will always be a part of that.
jonathan

bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla ML$E

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 02:34 PM
bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla ML$E

also

I just want to let you know that I was not aware of the significance of the pre-match march. I just got off my bus and there it was. I do understand that this is a moment....

If he stuck with the march, he would have noticed that we all gathered around and did a moment of silence for Rodrigo. Then we sang, jumped and got smoked out.

not sure how he could have missed all that, unless he was trying.

Whoop
03-28-2011, 02:35 PM
I stayed out of this whole thing because I know Jonathan - not on a social level but we were teammates in a soccer league last summer - and he's a pretty good guy. I don't think he intended to offend anyone.

I think in the bigger picture though it goes back to the whole relationship the group, and supporters in general, has with the FO. They unequivocally use the supporters groups and the supporters in marketing the team and yet when the groups ask for some favours in return and/or just try to do their thing there is push back.

There has to be some give and take and when it's always give, give, give... some people get ticked off. People have been saying that on here for years.

Unfortunately for MLSE since they can't put a winning product on the field they have to resort to selling atmosphere (at TFC matches) or selling some form of historical relevance (at Leaf games) - remember the "Spirit is Everything" campaign. What the hell is "Spirit is Everything"? And trying to sell the team as Canada's team?

At the end of the day it's like Parkdale says.... Sell the product on the field, and don't use the supporters as the story.

That means get the product on the field up to snuff.

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 02:39 PM
I stayed out of this whole thing because I know Jonathan - not a social level but we were teammates in a soccer league one summer - and he's a pretty good guy. I don't think he intended to offend anyone.

I think in the bigger picture though it goes back to the whole relationship the group, and supporters in general, has with the FO. They unequivocally use the supporters groups and the supporters in marketing the team and yet when the groups ask for some favours in return and/or just try to do their thing there is push back.

There has to be some give and take and when it's always give, give, give... some people get ticked off. People have been saying that on here for years.

Unfortunately for MLSE since they can't put a winning product on the field have to resort to selling atmosphere (at TFC matches) or selling some form of historically relevance (at Leaf games) - remember the "Spirit is Everything" campaign. What the hell is "Spirit is Everything"? And trying to sell the team as Canada's team?

At the end of the day it's like Parkdale says.... Sell the product on the field, and don't use the supporters as the story.

That means get the product on the field up to snuff.

good post Vic.

I'm sure that Jonathan is a decent guy, and that's why I've encouraged everyone to keep from making it personal. I know he wasn't trying to be offensive. He's caught in the middle between the tug-of-war that exists with supporters and the FO.

There have been a number of times when the FO has done GOOD things for us (and I'm usually one of the first to admit it) but there are times when things happen that just make me put my palm to my face and ask "what were they thinking??"

Somehow MLSE has convinced a lot of big money clients that Being at a leaf game is more important that the outcome of the game. They have managed to sell the sizzle because the steak isn't good enough to be dog food. I don't like seeing that here.

Nestease
03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
These guys from MLSE are everywhere this year desperate to keep the stadium full.

TFC's website allows comments on their articles via facebook. Recently, the layout changed to where it shows your name, city, and workplace if that info is filled out on your facebook profile. You can now also "Like" comments. Before the change, it would only show your name and that's it. Now this makes for some good laughs when you read old articles and people have their job listed as working for MLSE.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/2403/31388060.jpg

I'm not accusing anyone of being sneaky, but these guys from MLSE are everywhere trying to sell you on the atmosphere and buying some tickets (which by the way this employee is selling via his twitter with a MLSE promo code referral system). Everyone should just keep their guard up and voice their displeasure when MLSE tries to sell tickets off the back of dedicated supporters.

Parkdale
03-28-2011, 03:03 PM
^ good find!

yeah, reading though the 'likes' list of the Toronto FC facebook presence looks like someone is paying the promotion.

And yes, the staff ARE also fans of the game, and want the best possible atmosphere at BMO, they need to keep from sounding spammy.

CretanBull
03-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Personally, I wouldn't even mind if the club used the atmosphere, the game day experience etc to sell tickets if they weren't also gouging us at the same time. Their marketting and promotion show exactly how important we are to their success, their ticket pricing policy shows that they don't value that importance.

ginkster88
03-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Wait, CV2 still exists?

Detroit_TFC
03-28-2011, 04:17 PM
That's what you think.

I wish, gas prices are killing me. And you Canadians with your strong Canadian dollar - booooo!

MLSE are cheapskates, they will only pay me in Canadian Tire money. Is that stuff any good? :D

boban
03-28-2011, 07:14 PM
g
Somehow MLSE has convinced a lot of big money clients that Being at a leaf game is more important that the outcome of the game. They have managed to sell the sizzle because the steak isn't good enough to be dog food. I don't like seeing that here.
Mission statement....

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/assets/default/vision_values120610.gif

http://www.mlse.com/assets/1/Page/inside_ourcompany_2.gif

Nothing about winning championships.
But a heck of a lot selling fan experience and entertainment.

Oldtimer
03-28-2011, 07:25 PM
I wish, gas prices are killing me. And you Canadians with your strong Canadian dollar - booooo!

MLSE are cheapskates, they will only pay me in Canadian Tire money. Is that stuff any good? :D

We're paying about US$4.60 a gallon for gasoline, so you should be feeling sorry for us. :D Only Alberta benefits from high oil prices, us schmucks in Ontario just end up paying more and more.

Red CB Toronto
03-29-2011, 03:16 AM
It was good to see this video due to the circumstances around it taken down. Jonathan is in the video right from the start, so you would know the video is being produced by MLSE, it was also uploaded to their account which also would let you know that MLSE is involved.

I believe the in-stadium experience sells this team for the most part and the chanting and singing by the supporters in a part of it. I would be flattered if the supporters was the reason people want to come to the games. The RPB, U-Sector, NEE etc are a big reason for what has happened at BMO Field so how could anyone ever be surprised that MLSE decided to focus on this aspect of the experience in efforts. It is just common sense to promote what makes the place so good.

TFC John
03-29-2011, 05:04 AM
Would this thread even exist if ML$E had enough sense to hire Parky to make their videos? JK

This guy jonathan might show up at the tailgate on Saturday. How will we receive him? As Parky says, he doesn't seem like a bad guy. There have been cameras at the tailgates before and most people turn into media whores when they show up. If this guy is selling TFC by showing supporters culture, can we not use him to sell the RPB? Is there a way to use him to increase our membership and our influence with the FO?

Wagner
03-29-2011, 07:17 AM
I don't know if that's a good idea.

We have a friendly relationship with the FO, but we don't want to be seen as extension of them.

Fort York Redcoat
03-29-2011, 07:18 AM
^^There are elements of the tailgates I wouldn't appreciate going viral but I'm sure it's happened already in not such an unofficially official way. I know you'll be fine John but others may not want to be captured.

BTW I met your nephew at Joe's last match. Good kid. See ya down there yall.

Parkdale
03-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Would this thread even exist if ML$E had enough sense to hire Parky to make their videos? JK

They couldn't afford me ;)

As for tailgates, I trust that Jonathan has learned from this past experience, and will use some discretion about what is shown and what isn't.

Remember way back when..... sometime in the first year.... There were news cameras around (it might even have been the Rick Mercer Report that day) and the cameras were CLEARLY showing people enjoying 'adult beverages' in the parking lot.

Now we all know that doesn't happen anymore, riiiight... but because it was on TV, the police who were there HAD to issue a few tickets. You know that someone would have seen it on TV and asked 'Where are the police??? Well the cops gave out tickets (2, to people who volunteered to take them) and went on their way. If anyone called them on it, they could say that tickets were issued.

Plus we all know the response camera crews get when they come to the tailgate and say "hey guys, can you all sing for me?"

nope, we sing for the team.

I'm sure Jonathan (and anyone else) understands that.

Suds
03-29-2011, 08:31 AM
^^There are elements of the tailgates I wouldn't appreciate going viral but I'm sure it's happened already in not such an unofficially official way. I know you'll be fine John but others may not want to be captured.

BTW I met your nephew at Joe's last match. Good kid. See ya down there yall.

CBC has come multiple times in the past and filmed the talgates.

People should keep in mind we're gathering on CNE property so we do not have any say if someone comes around to say hello or check out what is going on. That includes other fans, media, bloggers, hired marketing people, MLSE staff, security, police, etc.

Derko
03-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately the RPB Marches HAVE been a marketing tool since day 1, yes I think it was inappropriate this time because of the tribute to someone whom has passed, but don't you think we are treading on the waters of censorship. Just a thought.

DichioTFC
03-31-2011, 02:53 PM
cut it out - He's been here for years, and we know him. - Detroit's not working for them

Detroit_TFC....I've got my eye on you! :D

As someone who knows Detroit_TFC personally, who hangs out with him, who's discussed footy in bars over a beer, a fellow member of the 75 Mile Bastards, I can tell you guys with 100% confidence...

he is TOTALLY a shill for MLSE!! Don't fall for his charm and sharp wit!!

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/2403/31388060.jpg

LOL I'm the guy that posted on December 14, 2010 at 1153am! Thanks for blanking out the name and picture, but kinda wish you hadn't. There's a classy 75MB group photo underneath that gray box.

Detroit_TFC
03-31-2011, 03:37 PM
^ Shit Stirrer

james
04-01-2011, 05:59 PM
I doubt it.

I appreciate that all major brands use social media advertising and marketing these days.

ggL0hCBjRaU

and don't even get me started on how quickly marketers killed the 'flash mob' thing.

and watch the fake cop at the end. NOTHING about this is authentic.

wow so pathetic. And you just know the people who probably were part of this were thinking they are so cool and what a great job they did. Fucken losers!