PDA

View Full Version : Cummins - Nice Kudos

Hitcho
03-27-2011, 04:31 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2011/03/cardiff_england_arrived_in_wal.html

Nice bit of kudos to CC from Graham Taylor in this article re Ashley Young...

TFCRegina
03-27-2011, 04:35 PM
CC was never given a fair crack at the coaching job here.

ExiledRed
03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
CC was never given a fair crack at the coaching job here.

Yes he did, his philosophy was all about developing youth even if that meant not fielding the best XI.

Im glad he didnt get another season.

razor787
03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
He didn't get a fair crack because he decided to leave. From what I understand, TFC wanted him, but he wanted to go back to his family (they couldn't get VISA's)

ExiledRed
03-27-2011, 05:08 PM
He didn't get a fair crack because he decided to leave. From what I understand, TFC wanted him, but he wanted to go back to his family (they couldn't get VISA's)

We dodged a bullet.

The 'as long as were not the worst in the league, its OK' mentality was never going to keep the fans of this team on his side.

AppRedDevil
03-27-2011, 05:57 PM
The best coach we ever had is doing a terrific job at Newcastle in the premier league.
I like to think that if this was Carver's 4th year at TFC we would be one heck of a team.

Azerban
03-27-2011, 06:02 PM
The best coach we ever had is doing a terrific job at Newcastle in the premier league.
I like to think that if this was Carver's 4th year at TFC we would be one heck of a team.

i like to think that if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas

ensco
03-27-2011, 06:11 PM

I'm glad for him. He should not be a manager. He's in the right situation, as an assistant.

A lot of very fine, talented people (including Paul Mariner) do terrific things in life without necessarily being the perfect choice for the top job.

ExiledRed
03-27-2011, 06:16 PM

Newcastle is a club that accepts that it cannot possibly compete for the title.

Coaches from teams like this bother me, as long as their team is mediocre, theyre doing a great job, and if they can win an FA cup or even go deep in UEFA one season, they'll be touted as the next England coach.

dow117
03-27-2011, 10:01 PM

d'accord!!

Juanito
03-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Newcastle is a club that accepts that it cannot possibly compete for the title.

Coaches from teams like this bother me, as long as their team is mediocre, theyre doing a great job, and if they can win an FA cup or even go deep in UEFA one season, they'll be touted as the next England coach.

Thank you. I was going to say something along those lines.

I would like to think that we want TFC to win championships and be a big team. There is no reason we can't do this because we have the benefit of the academy to provide us with players.

Bringing in managers that are content to be mid-table doesn't help us. We need to bring guys whose goal is to BE CHAMPIONS.

I believe Winter is like this.

Hitcho
03-28-2011, 06:25 AM
We'll never know how well CUmmins would have done if he had more time. Same goes for Preki I guess, although he at least brought in his own players and stamped his style on the squad and performances, which is ultimately what got him the sack. I'm not sure CC did enough to show he had the ability to take the team to the top end of the table, but clearly he has some ability at spotting and developing talent. In an ideal world he'd have ended up running our academy instead of being stuffed into the manager seat too quickly and panic fired after a few weeks.

boban
03-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Then you got off that shit you are smoking, right?

Milky
03-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Just my opinion of course, but I think that the best coach TFC have ever had is currently in the job. The second best coach we've ever had is Chris Cummins. Cummins actually had TFC playing 4-3-3 long before Winter ever showed up, and he also won us our first ever trophy. Had the team not capitulated against New York then Cummins would have also been the first coach to take TFC to the post season. Sometimes one match can completely change how we look back on someone's tenure, which I think is unfair. Very close behind Cummins I would put Carver. John Carver was a passionate coach who got a lot out of players through sheer emotion, but I wouldn't say that he was as tactically apt as Chris Cummins and certainly not as much as Aron Winter. I'd put Preki next on the list. He basically wears players out but there's no denying that he gets good short term results (at least until the inevitable mutiny in the dressing room occurs). Nick Dasovic would be next on my list. He showed a penchant for attacking football but wasn't given enough time to truly judge him. Tactically, however, I think he was a step behind others on this list. And then you have MoJo dead last.

Pachuco
03-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Just my opinion of course, but I think that the best coach TFC have ever had is currently in the job. The second best coach we've ever had is Chris Cummins. Cummins actually had TFC playing 4-3-3 long before Winter ever showed up, and he also won us our first ever trophy. Had the team not capitulated against New York then Cummins would have also been the first coach to take TFC to the post season. Sometimes one match can completely change how we look back on someone's tenure, which I think is unfair. Very close behind Cummins I would put Carver. John Carver was a passionate coach who got a lot out of players through sheer emotion, but I wouldn't say that he was as tactically apt as Chris Cummins and certainly not as much as Aron Winter. I'd put Preki next on the list. He basically wears players out but there's no denying that he gets good short term results (at least until the inevitable mutiny in the dressing room occurs). Nick Dasovic would be next on my list. He showed a penchant for attacking football but wasn't given enough time to truly judge him. Tactically, however, I think he was a step behind others on this list. And then you have MoJo dead last.

I agree with every single statement you made!

pekduck
03-28-2011, 09:50 AM

I agree with every single statement you made!

i'll have to agree.. good perspective

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2011, 09:54 AM

Good post.

- Scott

jloome
03-28-2011, 10:45 AM

Good post. I believe Cummins is our only other coach with an even or winning record as well, but could be wrong.

ensco
03-28-2011, 11:11 AM
^OK there's no point in fighting old wars....but give me a break.

That 2009 team, I still haven't recovered from that. Just to remind you, I think they had 15 games where they were scored on in the last 15 minutes. It will take me 15 years to get over that terrible SJ team coming in here in October, and taking two points away from us in the 93rd minute when some joker scuffed a ball that bounced over Garcia's head and in (those lost 2 points would have put us in the playoffs, regardless of what happened later in NY). And Cummins was part of that whole "Dichio can't get on airplanes" disgrace.

Like Carver, Cummins got into something beyond his experience and capabilities. Unlike Carver, he was kind of pushed into it, and he really seemed like a decent down-to-earth guy, so I wish him nothing but the best.

But Cummins is just another example of Teachers/MLSE turning off the part of their brain where they should be reviewing/examining the decision-making, instead of 100% delegating to Mo.

Beach_Red
03-28-2011, 11:18 AM

That 2009 team, I still haven't recovered from that. Just to remind you, I think they had 15 games where they were scored on in the last 15 minutes. It will take me 15 years to get over that terrible SJ team coming in here in October, and taking two points away from us in the 93rd minute when some joker scuffed a ball that bounced over Garcia's head and in (which would have put it in the playoffs regardless of what happened in NY). And Cummins was part of that whole "Dichio can't get on airplanes" disgrace.

Like Carver, Cummins got into something far beyond his experience and capabilities. Unlike Carver, he was kind of pushed into it, and he really seemed like a decent down-to-earth guy, so I wish him nothing but the best.

But Cummins is just another example of Teachers/MLSE turning off the part of their brain where they should been part of the decision-making, instead of 100% delegating to Mo.

Yes, no point in fighting old wars, but... there may be a connection between the two points you make. The delegation may not be 100% and may include provisions about salary and experience. It's one of the main reason a guy like Brian Burke needed to take control of the Leafs, so he could hire guys like Nonis. Mo and JFJ hirings aren't slip-ups, they're part of a pattern that we hope is now being broken.

P-NUTZ
03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
yikes to all the above - winter is the first real deal (so far) IMO.

TFCRegina
03-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Good post. I believe Cummins is our only other coach with an even or winning record as well, but could be wrong.

Cummins is statistically the best coach TFC ever had.

ExiledRed
03-29-2011, 04:29 PM

That 2009 team, I still haven't recovered from that. Just to remind you, I think they had 15 games where they were scored on in the last 15 minutes. It will take me 15 years to get over that terrible SJ team coming in here in October, and taking two points away from us in the 93rd minute when some joker scuffed a ball that bounced over Garcia's head and in (those lost 2 points would have put us in the playoffs, regardless of what happened later in NY). And Cummins was part of that whole "Dichio can't get on airplanes" disgrace.

So why didnt you play Serioux today?

"Well, Adrian.....anyway, ask adrian about little nana.....nana is fighting for his spot, and he did good today, he's got a great future ahead of him."

So what About Dichios contribution today?

"well .....Dichio .......yes he's good ........ great goal ..... flubflubflub ...... youth....the future....Barrett"