PDA

View Full Version : New defender coming this week?

MarkoftheDrink
03-26-2011, 10:44 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2908

@ 6:10 Winter mentions a new player coming in to allow Henry to go back down. Any names floating around out there in the rumor mill?

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Cristain Gomzes from Chile, he's been training with the team for a while.

loconet
03-26-2011, 11:08 PM

Interesting.. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Cristi%C3%A1n_G%C3%B3mez

Red CB Toronto
03-26-2011, 11:11 PM

Fellow RPB Klinnsman and I had a good conversation with Cristian today outside BMO. It would be great to see rewarded with contract. He has been with the Reds on trial for the last two weeks. His dedication to the game is quite something when you consider this. He is currently staying at his brothers in Scarbrough. Everyday he takes a bus to Warden station. Takes the subway to Dufferin and then the bus down Dufferin into the CNE Grounds.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-26-2011, 11:15 PM
That's a shlep. His CV a little different than most of the players they've brought in this offseason, I wonder if it was him that Winter was referring to?

Lizzy
03-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Fellow RPB Klinnsman and I had a good conversation with Cristian today outside BMO. It would be great to see rewarded with contract. He has been with the Reds on trial for the last two weeks. His dedication to the game is quite something when you consider this. He is currently staying at his brothers in Scarbrough. Everyday he takes a bus to Warden station. Takes the subway to Dufferin and then the bus down Dufferin into the CNE Grounds.

Can he play right or left back?

Red CB Toronto
03-26-2011, 11:44 PM
That's a shlep. His CV a little different than most of the players they've brought in this offseason, I wonder if it was him that Winter was referring to?

Yes, he is not the typical type of player Winter and company having been bringing in for trial when you consider his age (33) and playing background as he has played his entire pro career with several clubs in his native Chili.

Oblio2
03-27-2011, 12:35 AM

Should take the GO train

razor787
03-27-2011, 02:13 AM

Its a commute to work. He is fighting for a spot on the team, I see nothing special in that.

Blazer
03-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Just one is coming? :(

69Chevy396
03-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Really? Lombardo rode his bike to BMO or took the bus. The important issue is whether the guy can play, not how he gets to the practice field.:)

Klinsmann
03-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Interesting.. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Cristi%C3%A1n_G%C3%B3mez

This is definitely him, he mentioned he played for Colo Colo in the past when we were talking about some of the south american clubs.

ManUtd4ever
03-27-2011, 08:51 AM
At this point, anyone with a half decent pedigree would be an upgrade over Gargan at RB. Gargan has lost possession numerous times in the first two games leading to several scoring chances for the opposition.

An experienced South American defender like Gomez would likely have the technical skill, pace, and distribution to be a much better fit as a defender in Winter's system.

Nuvinho
03-27-2011, 09:15 AM
So we are 100% sure that its one of the guys who are/have trialed with us? Gomez or Hunter.

torontocelt
03-27-2011, 09:24 AM
His dedication to the game is quite something when you consider this. He is currently staying at his brothers in Scarbrough. .

I think you guys were misinterpreting what C Blake meant, it wasn't the traveling that was to commended, it was having to live in Scarbrough. DeRo has already commented on what that is like to the Scottish newspapers, nuff said.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
03-27-2011, 10:01 AM
I think you guys were misinterpreting what C Blake meant, it wasn't the traveling that was to commended, it was having to live in Scarbrough. DeRo has already commented on what that is like to the Scottish newspapers, nuff said.

^That's the shit, right there!

At this point, anyone with a half decent pedigree would be an upgrade over Gargan at RB. Gargan has lost possession numerous times in the first two games leading to several scoring chances for the opposition.

I love Gargan, but Winter's system magnifies Gargan's "skill limitations". He's just awful. He may have had one good touch the entire game.

Red CB Toronto
03-27-2011, 10:05 AM
So we are 100% sure that its one of the guys who are/have trialed with us? Gomez or Hunter.

Its really just speculation at this point, but one of them could be it since they are a known player to the Winter and company.

prizby
03-27-2011, 10:14 AM
he seems a little old

when you say send Henry down...is that to the academy? reserves? or is Winter going to let him go to U-20's...I can see why Morgan needs to stay now (since Yourassowsky got suspended)

BeerBaron95
03-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Ive remember seeing him play when on Colo Colo... does his job and is ur average back.

He wasnt good enough to keep a spot on Colo Colo anyways... in those days they had a sick back 4 and he only saw action due to injuries which is why he only played 8 games, not 10 as in the wiki page.

Might be a really decent player here.. we will see.

Damien
03-27-2011, 11:30 AM
The more depth we get early in the season the better we can weather the storm through the brutal summer schedule... which always fucks us.

MarkoftheDrink
03-27-2011, 03:00 PM
If Gomzes is the guy he was referring to, I think his age speaks to Winter's desperation for defenders. Ideally he'd get someone younger but fuck right now we need people who can play his system. Clearly Gargan and Harden should not be on the first team.

Any idea if this guy is a fullback and if so what side he plays on?

TFCDP
03-27-2011, 03:07 PM
I love Gargan, but Winter's system magnifies Gargan's "skill limitations". He's just awful. He may have had one good touch the entire game.

Was at the game and noticed Gargan was having a bad day... It wasn't til I got home and watched it on the PVR that I realized how bad... I noticed a few times where he gave it away right infront of Winter and De Clerk and they both jumped to their feet yelling at him... Guarentee he won't start next week.

rocker
03-27-2011, 03:09 PM
As we've seen, Preki's system made guys like Gargan look a lot better than they really are. I liked Gargan last year but in this system he makes me very nervous. Great guy tho.

Friends of Gargan were sitting near me yesterday. Feels bad cussing him out with his buds nearby, so I tried to hold it in. hahah.

Alonso
03-27-2011, 03:23 PM
I honestly think that Winter played the back four in Vancouver the way he did on purpose as a bit of a wake up call to the guys in the organization above him who might think that our backilne is decent and who probably point to last year as proof.

In this system the weak links are glaringly exposed.

Winter doesn't strike me as someone who would make an obviously erroneous call like that without fixing it at the half. This only means then that he was doing it on purpose.

rocker
03-27-2011, 03:32 PM
I kinda wondered if it was a statement to Cann (putting him at left back in Vancouver). Perhaps Harden and Nana worked their butts off in training while Cann left the team, so Winter didn't put him back in the CB position automatically. Who knows. But i've seen coaches do that before. They still want to have the player in the lineup, since he's good, but they don't want the player to think he can just waltz into his normal position when others are working hard. Debatable strategy tho.

torontocelt
03-27-2011, 03:33 PM
I honestly think that Winter played the back four in Vancouver the way he did on purpose as a bit of a wake up call to the guys in the organization above him who might think that our backilne is decent and who probably point to last year as proof.

In this system the weak links are glaringly exposed.

Winter doesn't strike me as someone who would make an obviously erroneous call like that without fixing it at the half. This only means then that he was doing it on purpose.

Dropping three valuable points willingly is the sign of an idiot not a master tactician. Still if it means TFC go out and sign another two quality DP's then I guess Winter would have proved his point if indeed this was his intention. I think any thoughts of a second or third DP at this point is crazy though.

Alonso
03-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Dropping three valuable points willingly is the sign of an idiot not a master tactician. Still if it means TFC go out and sign another two quality DP's then I guess Winter would have proved his point if indeed this was his intention. I think any thoughts of a second or third DP at this point is crazy though.

I agree with your sentiments, but if he loses three points, gets his point across to his boss, and as a result gets what he wants... ie. One or two new guys at the back, then I think its worth it.

More points for the team in the long run.

TFCRegina
03-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Doneil Henry has rejoined the Canadian U-20s (presumably Attakora's leg injury has improved). Ashtone Morgan has not and will not as he's needed at LB.

MarkoftheDrink
03-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Nik Ledgerwood may have emerged as the number one option at right back after yesterday's confident performance.

Nik Ledgerwood – 7
Was solid throughout and showed little fear of going forward.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/HutchinsonJohnsonandPachecoenginesforCanada.aspx

Nik's Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolas_Ledgerwood)

I don't know much about Nik outside of what I just posted, but this guy sounds perfect for TFC. Aside from the fact that he'd be getting called up, any reason we wouldn't want this guy?

Could we get him if we wanted? His team (SV Wehen Wiesbaden) currently plays in the 3rd Liga and he's going into his final year on his contract. Don't know anything about 3rd Liga but I'm guessing it's not quite MLS level, anyone know anything about the quality of this league?

TorCanSoc
03-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Look, we're 1-and-1 against expansion teams. I think MLSE needs to do more than trialing journeymen defenders.

MLSE is killing this golden goose of a market. How many awards and accolades did MLSE get for getting TFC up and running, and have huge off-field success? Will they be credited with killing the golden goose as well? Because their on-field decisions will kill the off field success.

They need to act now, and act big. We've heard all of this patience drivel. We've been using the patience metaphor for four years. How about some impatience for a change, lets see where that takes us. Sign a superstar defender, now. End of story.

One super duper mega defender star, and this team totally changes its tune no? A monster on the back line, we need him. Sure Cann is great defender, but his ball skills, and speed let him down.

Personally I'd like a defender that no one in the league likes. A nasty mofu that kicks puppies in his spare time. We need that edgy kind of guy.

RedsYNWA
03-30-2011, 06:14 PM
^^^ I'd take Pique ;)

rocker
03-30-2011, 07:45 PM
One super duper mega defender star, and this team totally changes its tune no? A monster on the back line, we need him. Sure Cann is great defender, but his ball skills, and speed let him down.

Personally I'd like a defender that no one in the league likes. A nasty mofu that kicks puppies in his spare time. We need that edgy kind of guy.

Does it really have to be a super duper mega defender?

our defense currently consists of a journeyman who had one good year (Cann), a quite young player still learning the game (Nana), a journeyman who quit MLS for awhile (Harden), an academy boy (Morgan), a journeyman left back who could barely stick in Europe (Yourass)

We don't need to blow our load on a defender. Just upgrade a bit. Is it that hard to upgrade from this bunch??? No offense to these guys (I like Nana and think he has a great future).

ag futbol
03-30-2011, 07:54 PM
^ agreed, with enough good scouting we can have good defender for 200k or so.

Little luck we get another Jhon Kennedy Hurtado, but more likely someone who will upgrade the backline and clear up a few issues. No need to talk about spashing cash right away. I'm also loathe to believe all these players would instantly be available.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-30-2011, 08:09 PM
A reporting asked Winter about this again in the most recent media scrum posted on TFC TV, he said again that the player is coming. Maybe it's reading too much into, but since he uses the word "coming", I wonder if it's safe to conclude it's someone not currently trialing with the team?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-30-2011, 08:36 PM
I kinda wondered if it was a statement to Cann (putting him at left back in Vancouver). Perhaps Harden and Nana worked their butts off in training while Cann left the team, so Winter didn't put him back in the CB position automatically. Who knows. But i've seen coaches do that before. They still want to have the player in the lineup, since he's good, but they don't want the player to think he can just waltz into his normal position when others are working hard. Debatable strategy tho.

this is what i sorta thought too

TFCDP
03-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Maybe it's just the rye talking but, it's so nice to have a coach who I believe... He says a defender is coming, and I sure as hell believe him.... So refreshing:)

Cashcleaner
03-30-2011, 08:50 PM
^ Agreed. Think back to a year or two ago and we would have rolled our eyes with talk of someone coming in. Winter doesn't have much of a track record for us to go by, but I won't dismiss him outright like I used to do with Mo.

Yohan
03-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Does it really have to be a super duper mega defender?

our defense currently consists of a journeyman who had one good year (Cann), a quite young player still learning the game (Nana), a journeyman who quit MLS for awhile (Harden), an academy boy (Morgan), a journeyman left back who could barely stick in Europe (Yourass)

We don't need to blow our load on a defender. Just upgrade a bit. Is it that hard to upgrade from this bunch??? No offense to these guys (I like Nana and think he has a great future).
I guess we'll find out if NYRB's great DP CB experiment this year is worth it. (though it helps that his CB partner is an USMNT player)

jloome
03-31-2011, 12:41 AM
I think there's been traditionally a great reluctance to get defensive players, who are seen as cheaper and plodders, from overseas. Maybe that's changing now.

rocker
03-31-2011, 10:27 AM
I don't think it would be bad to try a DP CB. But I just think it's pretty extravagant considering the current situation with our defense. In other words, we just need to get better in defense, not go for the greatest CB in the world. If we already had a solid defense and wanted to become world class, then definitely a DP CB would be the next move. But I think we can find an upgrade in defense that's cheaper than that, but better than what we have.

I'd still prefer a DP striker, and if TFC considers paying to use that third DP spot (and doesn't give it to De Ro), then maybe splurge on a DP midfielder.

Globetrotter
03-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Cann + Attakora is quite reasonable. Harden as a sub is fair. All they need to do offensively in this system is to get the ball to JDG. Yourassormine did well on the left, and if we had someone similar on the right, things might be ok... no need for DP there.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Dont really think we need another CB at this time, if it was DP i spose striker and CB would be best but id wait until one of our current ones leaves.

Oldtimer
03-31-2011, 10:50 AM
^ Agreed. Think back to a year or two ago and we would have rolled our eyes with talk of someone coming in. Winter doesn't have much of a track record for us to go by, but I won't dismiss him outright like I used to do with Mo.

really...

http://img.fannation.com/upload/truth_rumor/photo_upload/956/75/full/Mo-Johnston.jpg

"I've got a winger, a midfielder, and a defender coming in, plus I'm going to Brazil in December on a scouting trip..."

Yeah, sure he had people coming in...

TFC Cityboy
03-31-2011, 10:56 AM
the 3 most urgent gaps to fill are
Right back -Omphroy may be ok but he's untested. SuperDan has started poorly.
Left back- Yourassowsky may be ok but will get suspended every other game
central midfield (cover for JDG)

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 10:58 AM
worse comes to worse we can nana at rb and harden in CB

backbeat
03-31-2011, 11:20 AM
we need a RB badly - i would use a DP there as it is key to this system and a DP Striker:

DP RB - - - - Nana - - - Cann - - - - Yourassovsky

- - - - - - - - - -JDG - - - - - - Bouchiba - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - DeRo - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Martina - - - - - - - - DP Striker - - - - - - -Stevanovic

This line-up would make the playoffs...

Globetrotter
03-31-2011, 11:26 AM
^we've had nicer looking lineups not make the playoffs

maninb
03-31-2011, 11:26 AM
we need a RB badly - i would use a DP there as it is key to this system and a DP Striker:

Santos is a good striker, and let's give Gordon a chance as well...no need for a DP there at the moment....

trane
03-31-2011, 11:43 AM
^ Neither are good enough as the key CF in the system. Not long term at least.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 12:06 PM

id debate this statement.
I cant think of a time when we've had a full line up with proper people in proper positions

MarkoftheDrink
03-31-2011, 12:12 PM
No thoughts on Nik Ledgerwood?

I think he'd be a good fit especially considering he's playing in a similar system for the CMNT and seems to be doing well.

TFCDP
03-31-2011, 12:44 PM

You can't be serious.

Globetrotter
03-31-2011, 01:01 PM
^well... now you're all making me question myself. Maybe I've seen too many people happy doing the:

-----------i like----------
---to-------make--------
--lineups---and----draw--
--------hyphens---------

best of lineups... that didn't really happen. For some reason I'm picturing Serioux and Guevara being on a team that should have done a bit better.

No sure that our current setup is better than some of our older lineups. Martina might be the next Ricketts (Ricketts did have a multi goal game too i believe). Stefanovic might be a Jarrod Smith. Sturgis, Bouchiba, Gargan, Youras..., Plata??? I'm sure we've had better. Santos always has potential to fit in and rock, but he has traveled the world for a reason hasn't he?

You might be right... there's definitely hope... but I think I've seen some respectable teams of ours on the field. Lots of bad ones too.

Thrillos
03-31-2011, 01:04 PM

For once we have a solid attacking force. but i do agree with you that we need to spend some money in the full back positions. In the system we play full backs with a good touch are essential. We can get away with Cann not be able to make a pass longer than 10 yards under little pressure.
but the full backs need to drive up into the mid field and overlap on occasion, if we had two full backs capable then we would be looking very very good.
Yourass can go forward well, i think he never made it anywhere in europe because of his play off the ball (ie defending). Whereas gargan is great off the ball, because he runs non stop and it doesn't take a whole lot of skill to push someone off the ball as he is strong. He is just absolutley useless with the ball at his feet.

I don't know if I would use a DP spot for a full back but I would like to see upwards of 200k spent on a very solid and attack minded full back.

Thrillos
03-31-2011, 01:14 PM
^well... now you're all making me question myself. Maybe I've seen too many people happy doing the:

---to-------make--------
--------hyphens---------

best of lineups... that didn't really happen. For some reason I'm picturing Serioux and Guevara being on a team that should have done a bit better.

No sure that our current setup is better than some of our older lineups. Martina might be the next Ricketts (Ricketts did have a multi goal game too i believe). Stefanovic might be a Jarrod Smith. Sturgis, Bouchiba, Gargan, Youras..., Plata??? I'm sure we've had better. Santos always has potential to fit in and rock, but he has traveled the world for a reason hasn't he?

You might be right... there's definitely hope... but I think I've seen some respectable teams of ours on the field. Lots of bad ones too.

Are you serious?????

Martina was signed by the ajax senior team until an ill timed injury at the end of his contract screwed him. Ricketts was a youth player that never made it past the youth ranks.

Stevanovic is co-owned by one of the biggest teams in the world and was signed by arguably the best manager in the world, Mourhino.
Jarrod Smith was signed as a free agent from the middle of nowhere....

Globetrotter
03-31-2011, 01:19 PM
^lol, yes I know the history behind them. I am optimistic behind what we are putting together... but paper is one thing, and on field performance is another. Saying that this lineup "would make the playoffs" might be helped by the fact the East is pretty weak. I'm not going to say that lineup is playoff bound, but it does look nice. On paper. And I'm hopeful for them.

DangerRed
03-31-2011, 01:20 PM

---to-------make--------
--------hyphens---------

:facepalm::smilielol5:

Nuvinho
03-31-2011, 01:23 PM
It's Marco Materazzi. We will bring him over for the game on April 13th vs. LA. He will take out Becks, and bite Landy.

Thrillos
03-31-2011, 01:29 PM
It's Marco Materazzi. We will bring him over for the game on April 13th vs. LA. He will take out Becks, and bite Landy.
How awesome would that be!!!!!

Globetrotter
03-31-2011, 01:43 PM
If that clown showed up in Toronto, I'd get to him before he could do damage to anyone. The guys a wimp. Who can't take a headbutt to the chest these days?

dmacd
03-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi all. Long-time reader (this site is my "go-to" for TFC news) and first time poster. I've read a number of people posting in the last few days either asking when Bouchiba is going to be back or putting his name in our "ideal" lineup for this year.

FYI - I talked to him at the MLSE charity event on Monday. He's out for the year with a knee injury. ACL or MCL - can't remember which. Nice guy, but when I asked him whether he'd be back with TFC next year, he didn't sound optimistic.

Also had good conversations with Morgan and Stugis - both great guys and happy to be here - but that's a topic for another thread perhaps.

Globetrotter
03-31-2011, 01:53 PM

FYI - I talked to him at the MLSE charity event on Monday. He's out for the year with a knee injury. ACL or MCL - can't remember which. Nice guy, but when I asked him whether he'd be back with TFC next year, he didn't sound optimistic.

Ooooh! You see? All of you saying this lineup is getting us to the playoffs and laughing at some comments. Good luck doing so with 10 guys on the field. ;)

This is why Im cautiously optimistic and not throwing random nonsense on the screen without ever seeing the person play a day in this league, let alone how he'll fit in with our team.

mastermixer
03-31-2011, 01:59 PM
If he is out for the year then why wouldn't TFC provide some sort of update??
It's not like he was a 4th round draft pick or something, he was supposed to compete for a starting spot on this squad. A little info would be nice!

dmacd
03-31-2011, 02:03 PM
I agree. When I spoke to him on Monday, he said he found that he was done 5 or 6 days before that, so it's now been 9 or 10 days since he/they found out. Surprised that TFC hasn't released anything.

He was very clear, though - he's done for the year.

backbeat
03-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Ooooh! You see? All of you saying this lineup is getting us to the playoffs and laughing at some comments. Good luck doing so with 10 guys on the field. ;)

This is why Im cautiously optimistic and not throwing random nonsense on the screen without ever seeing the person play a day in this league, let alone how he'll fit in with our team.

random nonsense????? where'd that come from? who spit in your beer?

I was proposing what to me looked like a good line-up for the MLS. Obviously if there are injuries that changes things but so what? That's like saying Barca look good but if every player gets injured what good are they? come on!!

i absolutely think a core is developing here and with a few key additions we could be play-off contenders - nothing wrong with speculating as far as i can see....and there is no official work on Bouchiba as yet that i've heard.

Globetrotter
03-31-2011, 02:11 PM
^agreed. they are heading in the right direction. maybe some of the guys will stick around for a few seasons as well (if they do play well). im hopeful for the team, and for the fans. hopefully it can be exciting the whole way.

backbeat
03-31-2011, 02:13 PM
I agree. When I spoke to him on Monday, he said he found that he was done 5 or 6 days before that, so it's now been 9 or 10 days since he/they found out. Surprised that TFC hasn't released anything.

He was very clear, though - he's done for the year.

does anyone know what that means for cap space? if a player is out for the season is there cap forgiveness or are we screwed?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 02:32 PM
That fucking sucks if Bouchiba is really out, was looking forward to him playing along side JDG, cant imagine he'd be back next year at all

brad
03-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Martina was signed by the ajax senior team until an ill timed injury at the end of his contract screwed him. Ricketts was a youth player that never made it past the youth ranks.

Your wrong about Ricketts. He never made it at Arsenal, but he was a regular in Tottenham's first team during the 2003-2004 season. He made 30 appearances for the Spurs and was voted fans player of the month by Tottenham supporters two months in a row.

brad
03-31-2011, 02:54 PM
does anyone know what that means for cap space? if a player is out for the season is there cap forgiveness or are we screwed?

I'm pretty sure you can place a player on season ending injury status and recover the cap space and roster slot. Not sure exactly what the details are, but there is something like that.

EDIT: Here it is:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

(K) SEASON-ENDING INJURY REPLACEMENTS
A team with a player lost to a season-ending injury can replace that player on its roster, while remaining responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary. A player can be placed on the season-ending injury list once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). International player limits still apply at the time a season-ending replacement is made (with the player being replaced not counting against those limits).

oxygenatedbrain
03-31-2011, 02:58 PM
To save you an arduous ten seconds of clicking, cutting, pasting, etc.:

(K) SEASON-ENDING INJURY REPLACEMENTS
A team with a player lost to a season-ending injury can replace that player on its roster, while remaining responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary. A player can be placed on the season-ending injury list once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). International player limits still apply at the time a season-ending replacement is made (with the player being replaced not counting against those limits).

oxygenatedbrain
03-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Now I have to edit, etc. There goes ten arduous seconds, plus this ten seconds, I'll never get back.

Globetrotter
03-31-2011, 03:01 PM
^lol

Alright. We have one more day before Winters "D man this week" statement runs out. If it does, do we clump him with Mo?

brad
03-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Now I have to edit, etc. There goes ten arduous seconds, plus this ten seconds, I'll never get back.

You missed another 10 seconds of time with Google to find it :-)

TFCREDNWHITE
03-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Any new words yet on the defender??

backbeat
03-31-2011, 03:20 PM
^lol

Alright. We have one more day before Winters "D man this week" statement runs out. If it does, do we clump him with Mo?

why would we do that?

Derko
03-31-2011, 03:40 PM
I thought this thread was about a potential defender being signed, and whom that might be, It sure get's off topic real easy.

Dreadlocks
03-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Jamaican International Dicoy Williams
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/03/toronto-fc-signs-dicoy-williams

Dreadlocks
03-31-2011, 03:46 PM
Not that I don't like the player but I'm a little disappointed that he's a central defender when we need a right sided wing back.

ginkster88
03-31-2011, 03:47 PM
And the man comes through. Sad to say "impressive" but, for this club... impressive.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 03:47 PM
i think he plays DM as well as fullback if im not mistaken

Wooster_TFC
03-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Dicoy in the middle, slot Nana into RB?

tfcmanu
03-31-2011, 03:49 PM
With our Dutch connections you just never know here is a list in Dutch Futball transfer list:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/trans...or-free-in-the (http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2011/01/19/2306977/eredivisie-bosman-list-all-the-players-available-for-free-in-the)-

http://i.goal.com/files/images/stats/goal/team-logos/4/274_48x48.jpgAjax Ronald Graafland
30 Apr 1979GoalkeeperAndre Ooijer
11 Jul 1974DefenderOleguer
3 Feb 1980DefenderThimothee Atouba
17 Feb 1982DefenderUrby Emanuelson
16 Jun 1986MidfielderTeemu Tainio
27 Nov 1979MidfielderMitchell Donald
10 Dec 1988MidfielderRoly Bonevacia
18 Oct 1991MidfielderAras Ozbiliz
09 Mar 1990AttackerHyun-Jun Suk
29 Jun 1991AttackerMarvin Zeegelaar
12 Aug 1990AttackerDarko Bodul
11 Jan 1989AttackerFlorian Jozefzoon
09 Feb 1991AttackerLorenzo Ebecilio

Whoop
03-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Tainio is with New York Red Bull and Emanuelson is now with AC Milan.

prizby
03-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Not that I don't like the player but I'm a little disappointed that he's a central defender when we need a right sided wing back.

well when Henry is with the u20's and if Nana is injured, there are only 2 CB's...Harden and Cann...what if one gets injured...thats why we need Williams!

BayernTFC
03-31-2011, 03:56 PM
i think he plays DM as well as fullback if im not mistaken
Yes, he's supposedly able to play both left and right wingback and CM:

Preferred Position Central Defender
Other Positions L/R Wingback, C. Midfielder
http://sportsagencyja.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58%3Adicoy&Itemid=56

Dreadlocks
03-31-2011, 03:56 PM
With our Dutch connections you just never know here is a list in Dutch Futball transfer list:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/trans...or-free-in-the (http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2011/01/19/2306977/eredivisie-bosman-list-all-the-players-available-for-free-in-the)-

http://i.goal.com/files/images/stats/goal/team-logos/4/274_48x48.jpgAjax Ronald Graafland
30 Apr 1979GoalkeeperAndre Ooijer
11 Jul 1974DefenderOleguer
3 Feb 1980DefenderThimothee Atouba
17 Feb 1982DefenderUrby Emanuelson
16 Jun 1986MidfielderTeemu Tainio
27 Nov 1979MidfielderMitchell Donald
10 Dec 1988MidfielderRoly Bonevacia
18 Oct 1991MidfielderAras Ozbiliz
09 Mar 1990AttackerHyun-Jun Suk
29 Jun 1991AttackerMarvin Zeegelaar
12 Aug 1990AttackerDarko Bodul
11 Jan 1989AttackerFlorian Jozefzoon
09 Feb 1991AttackerLorenzo Ebecilio

Interesting list. Years ago (at least 6) I ran into little deGuzman (Jonathan) in Scarborough Town Centre and he mentioned to me that Jon Dahl Tomasson was his mentor in Europe and was in close contact.

Any thoughts on Tomasson as our missing striker? I know he's old, but he is proven.

Dreadlocks
03-31-2011, 03:57 PM

http://sportsagencyja.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58%3Adicoy&Itemid=56

^ makes me feel a bit better!

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
all positions we need covering

ArmenJBX
03-31-2011, 04:01 PM
What now of Christian Gomez?

Alonso
03-31-2011, 04:01 PM

I guess this answers that question...

Jamaican International Dicoy Williams
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/03...dicoy-williams (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/03/toronto-fc-signs-dicoy-williams)

Right on queue, Winter comes through!

A man of his word... so far so good.

Alonso
03-31-2011, 04:04 PM

A good utility player then. Which is perfect for this system because we can move him around to match him up to the opposition and to cater to our attack. Looking forward to see how he plays.

Thrillos
03-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Your wrong about Ricketts. He never made it at Arsenal, but he was a regular in Tottenham's first team during the 2003-2004 season. He made 30 appearances for the Spurs and was voted fans player of the month by Tottenham supporters two months in a row.

You are right, although I have to say that the tottenham team that Ricketts was playing on at that time is alot different than the tottenham team of today.

With the new signing, I see our best backline lineup with those on the roster of right now as Nana at RB, Williams and Cann in the middle, Yourass at LB.

Nana can distribute the ball much better than Gargan and still has the same size and strenght that Gargan brings to the position. I would actually like to see Omphroy get a chance, but I think his size is holding him back right now, way too skinny.

Edit: apparently Williams can play as a full back too from previous posts, so depending on his performance him and Nana could go either RB or CB.

Globetrotter
03-31-2011, 04:17 PM

Awesome. This is so new for us!

brad
03-31-2011, 04:17 PM
well when Henry is with the u20's and if Nana is injured, there are only 2 CB's...Harden and Cann...what if one gets injured...thats why we need Williams!

No way dude - Tim Reagan can come out of retirement again!!!

BayernTFC
03-31-2011, 04:26 PM
so depending on his performance him and Nana could go either RB or CB.
Theoretically, Williams' versatility should provide for better switching and coverage in Winter's 4-3-3 (perhaps that's part of the reasoning behind the Adrian Cann experiment at LB?). Williams only played in one pre-season game for TFC shortly after he arrived. I hope he was able to build a rapport with teammates before he left camp. He wasn't with TFC all that long before being sent home.

TorCanSoc
03-31-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm sorry, but Dicoy Williams? No. I don't know anything about him, but that's the point. MLSE continues with their "get by with enough" attitude. Its starting (after four years) to bug me.

I'm just not impressed. Sign a big name. Both from an on-field perspective, and at this stage more importantly a fans/marketing perspective. I've gone from dropped from 5 season tickets, down to 3, down to 1. One more year of this, and I just won't spend my money on this team.

Yeah yeah yeah.... I'm negative. I try to stay positive, I really do. But enough is enough, and my (almost insignificant) lone ticket paying voice is the only leverage I have.

Sign someone big (... or else give me free parking, and a hot dog every game. :) )

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 04:35 PM
big name for a fullback?
Dont see why your griping with the dude only having played a game (half a game?)
Just cuz hes not a big name?

Whoop
03-31-2011, 04:42 PM
I'd rather get better than get a big name for the sake of getting a name.

Besides, aren't they looking at bringing someone in during the summer?

2mil4dero+santo
03-31-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm sorry, but Dicoy Williams? No. I don't know anything about him, but that's the point. MLSE continues with their "get by with enough" attitude. Its starting (after four years) to bug me.

I'm just not impressed. Sign a big name. Both from an on-field perspective, and at this stage more importantly a fans/marketing perspective. I've gone from dropped from 5 season tickets, down to 3, down to 1. One more year of this, and I just won't spend my money on this team.

Yeah yeah yeah.... I'm negative. I try to stay positive, I really do. But enough is enough, and my (almost insignificant) lone ticket paying voice is the only leverage I have.

Sign someone big (... or else give me free parking, and a hot dog every game. :) )

JDG and Dero are almost as big as it gets in MLS... I don't think theres room under the cap for another big name.

BayernTFC
03-31-2011, 04:59 PM
big name for a fullback?
Dont see why your griping with the dude only having played a game (half a game?)
Just cuz hes not a big name?
Williams played the entire pre-season game with TFC against Charleston. I can understand TorCanSoc's sentiments and I really can't blame him for feeling that way. The reality is that TFC has an emergency at the back that has to be addressed. Who is available to them? It's important not to take out frustrations on Dicoy Williams though. Hopefully he takes his opportunity and provides us with much needed improvement at the back. If nothing else, Williams is another body in case of injuries. His performance against Charleston was a mixed bag, but he showed himself capable in the air and that he can distribute the ball. We need help defending set pieces. I'd be watching closely to see how he handles such situations.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 05:07 PM
dude covers several positions we need covered, has played well at a national level, and at a club level and has garnered interest from norway (a league similar to ours). No hes not a monster signing but dude looks like he's functional and decent for us. Kinda feel like he only played one game or so, not the whole tourney, alot of people were played out of position etc that tourney too, hardly a decent gauge.

moralis
03-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Listen to Aron Winter's post-game comments about Dicoy Williams play against the Charleston Battery: March 9, 2011. Page 5 in Interviews section.

It was a question asked by Gareth Wheeler: 1:20 - 1:35.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

I think most of you listened to it, but hear it again. It would be great if someone can pass this along to anyone in the media to ask tomorrow.

ArmenJBX
03-31-2011, 05:16 PM
"What can I say...I don't have a comment about it"

jojoflow
03-31-2011, 05:23 PM
No thoughts on Nik Ledgerwood?

I think he'd be a good fit especially considering he's playing in a similar system for the CMNT and seems to be doing well.

What I know about Nik Lidgerwood is that he is a cdm he is not really a rb. Canadians are good at many postions. I think that why Canada has a hard time figuring out where and who to play.

Nik has not started many games for Canada its not like he is the starting rb but if he plays well there mayb he could.

He is a def guy I dont know if he would do that well in this kinda of system. I dont know alot about him but i do know his main postion is center defensive midfielder

Someone for Canada that would work in this system is Jamie Peters a outside right midfielder/winger changed into a rb (kinda like a right wing back) but really if we got someone like peters i would like to see him at the outside winger role. He is so fast, but really he is gonna come back to Canada anytime soon.

also the team Canada played was a good team but they were a good defensive and not know for their attack. Not to say Canada did not play well tho im happy that they beat a team ranked high.

TFCRegina
03-31-2011, 05:44 PM
What I know about Nik Lidgerwood is that he is a cdm he is not really a rb. Canadians are good at many postions. I think that why Canada has a hard time figuring out where and who to play.

Nik has not started many games for Canada its not like he is the starting rb but if he plays well there mayb he could.

He is a def guy I dont know if he would do that well in this kinda of system. I dont know alot about him but i do know his main postion is center defensive midfielder

Someone for Canada that would work in this system is Jamie Peters a outside right midfielder/winger changed into a rb (kinda like a right wing back) but really if we got someone like peters i would like to see him at the outside winger role. He is so fast, but really he is gonna come back to Canada anytime soon.

also the team Canada played was a good team but they were a good defensive and not know for their attack. Not to say Canada did not play well tho im happy that they beat a team ranked high.

Nik plays both RB and DM for Wehen. It really depends on the situation, but he always starts and his club is on the verge of promotion to 2.Bundesliga.

If he keeps up his form, he'll be starting RB. I can actually see Peters playing Jackson's spot up the Right MId.

MarkoftheDrink
03-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Listen to Aron Winter's post-game comments about Dicoy Williams play against the Charleston Battery: March 9, 2011. Page 5 in Interviews section.

It was a question asked by Gareth Wheeler: 1:20 - 1:35.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

I think most of you listened to it, but hear it again. It would be great if someone can pass this along to anyone in the media to ask tomorrow.

here's a direct link to the vid:
Winter Post game Charleston Battery: March 9, 2011 (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2851)

I guess this answers that question...

What a difference! So nice having an honest man run your team, so much better for the morale of the players and supporters alike.

Good to see we added some more size on d, it's something we've lacked since day one.

los sonadores
03-31-2011, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=brad;1261135]Your wrong about Ricketts. He never made it at Arsenal, but he was a regular in Tottenham's first team during the 2003-2004 season. He made 30 appearances for the Spurs and was voted fans player of the month by Tottenham supporters two months in a row.

Here are two of his goals

vs Aston Villa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Exe6btEjWU&feature=related

vs Coventry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6hOYcEGBlI&NR=1

BayernTFC
03-31-2011, 08:43 PM
but he always starts and his club is on the verge of promotion to 2.Bundesliga.
I'll just say that Nik doesn't always start for Wehen Wiesbaden. He has most recently been starting regularly for them though. He has also spent some time with Wehen Wiesbaden II this season. I would finally add that SV Wehen Wiesbaden isn't really on the verge of promotion either. The rest of the pack is quite a bit behind Eintracht Braunschweig and Hansa Rostock. Kickers Offenbach, Dynamo Dresden, Rot-Weiß Erfurt, SV Wehen Wiesbaden and TuS Koblenz are all in a tight fight for third place and a shot at promotion in a playoff with the sixteenth place finisher in 2. Bundesliga.

TFCRegina
03-31-2011, 08:51 PM
I'll just say that Nik doesn't always start for Wehen Wiesbaden. He has most recently been starting regularly for them though. He has also spent some time with Wehen Wiesbaden II this season. I would finally add that SV Wehen Wiesbaden isn't really on the verge of promotion either. The rest of the pack is quite a bit behind Eintracht Braunschweig and Hansa Rostock. Kickers Offenbach, Dynamo Dresden, Rot-Weiß Erfurt, SV Wehen Wiesbaden and TuS Koblenz are all in a tight fight for third place and a shot at promotion in a playoff with the sixteenth place finisher in 2. Bundesliga.

The only times that Nik doesn't start is when he's injured or on duty with Canada. I follow updates on Nik with some attention. And you're correct about Wehen. They seem to have fallen since I last checked. Still in sixth and striking distance of the 3rd Spot (2 points out).

BayernTFC
03-31-2011, 09:06 PM
The only times that Nik doesn't start is when he's injured or on duty with Canada.
He was an 82' sub for Zlatko Janjić in the 1-0 loss away to Carl Zeiss Jena on Feb. 19, 2011 (week 25).

ag futbol
03-31-2011, 09:32 PM
From I remember, I wasn't terribly impressed from the limited amount of time we saw this guy. Wonder what winter say that merited a signing? Hopefully it's more yourass than soolsma.

TFCRegina
03-31-2011, 09:34 PM
From I remember, I wasn't terribly impressed from the limited amount of time we saw this guy. Wonder what winter say that merited a signing? Hopefully it's more yourass than soolsma.

Might be the fact that Winter intends to push Attakora out to Fullback and needs someone to cover for Harden or to replace Harden in the middle of the pitch. Attakora has been our best two way defender in the limited action we've seen him in...and he's been playing in the middle of the pitch. :facepalm:

Yohan
03-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Nana actually had 4 assists in 09, mostly, if not all of them from playing RB

BayernTFC
03-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Kinda feel like he only played one game or so, not the whole tourney, alot of people were played out of position etc that tourney too, hardly a decent gauge.
He only played in the game against Charleston. Williams only had a day or two with TFC before he started in that game as well. One certainly should be cautious about drawing conclusions based on those circumstances.

ginkster88
03-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Wow. What happened to Ricketts. Those goals were nice.

brad
03-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Wow. What happened to Ricketts. Those goals were nice.

He scored a couple really nice ones for us as well. From what we saw of him, he seemed more interested in promoting himself than playing football. It could have been the same attitude problem that prevented him from succeeding at the top.

ag futbol
03-31-2011, 10:08 PM
Might be the fact that Winter intends to push Attakora out to Fullback and needs someone to cover for Harden or to replace Harden in the middle of the pitch. Attakora has been our best two way defender in the limited action we've seen him in...and he's been playing in the middle of the pitch. :facepalm:
Not necessarily a bad thing (to a limited degree).

Bothers me when the attacking players back way off the CB's because they know they won't utilize the space to carry the ball out of the back. So instead the defenders force bad passes to their teammates. Great to see a CB that can use that space and find a quick outlet to a teammate. Jakovic is really good at that actually.

Anyway, regardless of that Attakora's natural position was previously, I think under Winter in a 4-3-3 he's definitely best used as a CB while someone who is more attack minded can hold down RB.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2011, 10:18 PM
He only played in the game against Charleston. Williams only had a day or two with TFC before he started in that game as well. One certainly should be cautious about drawing conclusions based on those circumstances.

absolutely.
i guess ive got faith in Winters decisions is what it comes down to for me

John Stamos
04-01-2011, 07:53 AM

I'm just not impressed. Sign a big name. Both from an on-field perspective, and at this stage more importantly a fans/marketing perspective.
You shouldn't be having a go at MLSE when it's TFC's front office who makes the call, Aron Winter and company don't run every decision they make by their parent company, it simply doesn't work that way.

People could very well be singing this guys praises a month from now based on how little is known of him. But if what you're really concerned about is a fan and/or marketing perspective, you don't need a big name for that, look at Omphroy for example.