PDA

View Full Version : Spraypaint???

cmonyoureds
03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Ummm, I wasn't at the game, and I'd had a few beers, but I swear I saw the ref spray paint lines on the field?????

WTF???

Tell me Toronto's finest at the game actually did something usefull and charged him with defacing public property?

DangerRed
03-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Not sure if you're new to the game, but spraying a fade-away spray to mark the spot for a free kick happens all the time in very many leagues (especially ones - and i'm sure this is coincidental - with a history of contentious refereeing).

Nothing new to see here.

werewolf
03-26-2011, 07:54 PM
It's certainly new to this league, nice to see it implemented.

cmonyoureds
03-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Not new to the game and I've never seen that before in my life. I'm fairly certain I'm not alone there. What next? You'll tell me I'm new to the game and they're considering goal line technology?

Eastend
03-26-2011, 08:01 PM
I've seen it in a few Euro leagues. Suppossed to help with players creeping up on the free kick.

ArmenJBX
03-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Used in Mexico a lot, saw it in preseason too.
Should become a regular part of the game in MLS

DangerRed
03-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Not new to the game and I've never seen that before in my life. I'm fairly certain I'm not alone there. What next? You'll tell me I'm new to the game and they're considering goal line technology?

Nope, no goal line technology. Spray paint. It's been in use for almost half a decade now, but as pointed out above, I don't think MLS has used it before this year.

Here's some helpful reading, from three years ago:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=601022&sec=global&campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=5901

boban
03-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Well I watched the game last week plus a couple of other MLS games and I didn't see it used.

cmonyoureds
03-26-2011, 08:09 PM
duly noted oh supercilious one. i've learned something new today! still think it's bush league though.

BS1327
03-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Read today that it's being implemented in MLS by all refs.

boban
03-26-2011, 08:19 PM
duly noted oh supercilious one. i've learned something new today! still think it's bush league though.
Totally.
I watched intently in the 2nd half only and i thought those were all small marks on the field and a bad condition of the field for so early in the season. Well low and behold I see the highlights of the first half and don't see those marks. Sorry but ditch that bs paint, field looks horrible and like a playground with all those marks everywhere.
And really, who give a flying flying fadoo if the kick is 2 yards here or there from the actual foul. never seemed to matter before.

Yohan
03-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Totally.
I watched intently in the 2nd half only and i thought those were all small marks on the field and a bad condition of the field for so early in the season. Well low and behold I see the highlights of the first half and don't see those marks. Sorry but ditch that bs paint, field looks horrible and like a playground with all those marks everywhere.
And really, who give a flying flying fadoo if the kick is 2 yards here or there from the actual foul. never seemed to matter before.
also stops encroachment

Blowing Bubbles
03-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Totally.

you serious? they're not going to spray them everywhere, just when it's a fk that could result in a scoring opportunity.

you'd be comfortable with teams stealing 2 yard on a kick that's 25 yards out?

redcard
03-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Totally.

actually it was used in the first half as well...the paint fades almost immediately...saw it sprayed and fade right before my eyes in the first half...

Red CB Toronto
03-26-2011, 08:41 PM
The ref used the spray paint at the Disney World tourney when the Reds were in Orlando.

boban
03-26-2011, 08:44 PM
you serious? they're not going to spray them everywhere, just when it's a fk that could result in a scoring opportunity.

you'd be comfortable with teams stealing 2 yard on a kick that's 25 yards out?
Well I notice that the closer the kick the more strict the ref is on the spot, without paint.
Don't see this make a diff, hence no need for it. Especially when kicks are 35 45 yards out.

DangerRed
03-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Wow. I'm amazed at how vitriolic the reaction is against something that actually helps honesty and fair play and stops encroachment on free kicks. You guys need to find something better to pick on, because this actually helps the absolutely horrid level of officiating we have in the MLS. Irony: the refs are in charge of the spray.:D

cmonyoureds
03-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Wow. I'm amazed at how vitriolic the reaction is against something that actually helps honesty and fair play and stops encroachment on free kicks. You guys need to find something better to pick on, because this actually helps the absolutely horrid level of officiating we have in the MLS. Irony: the refs are in charge of the spray.:D

thanks for coming down off mount dangerred to let us mortals know how to think. got another 9 commandments for us?

and nothing is gonna help the level of officiating in the mls.:D

Azerban
03-27-2011, 08:29 AM
this thread in recap:

a guy: this thing is bush league
everyone else: here are all the much better leagues it's used in
a guy: ~fartz~

Parkdale
03-27-2011, 08:31 AM

excuse me.

J .
03-27-2011, 12:30 PM
good idea

cmonyoureds
03-27-2011, 12:31 PM
:D
this thread in recap:

a guy: this thing is bush league
everyone else: here are all the much better leagues it's used in

this post in recap - wrong

well, until parkie helped you out. :D

swan
03-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Totally.

i saw the spots in the 2nd as well and thought they were the paint but then i saw a close up and it looked like they went out and put sand in the divots in the pitch to me.. could be wrong

Auzzy
03-27-2011, 06:32 PM
I was really upset at the game yesterday, because there were no clouds in the sky to yell at.

Azerban
03-27-2011, 06:34 PM
:D

this post in recap - wrong

well, until parkie helped you out. :D

nah

feel free to continue calling the brazilian and argie leagues 'bush league' though

Juanito
03-27-2011, 09:18 PM
It's certainly new to this league, nice to see it implemented.

I don't know what you guys did in 112, but in 116, we were applauding in jest when he did this. Good times!

2mil4dero+santo
03-27-2011, 10:01 PM

I'm a big fan of this... It's been used in Brazil for years.

cmonyoureds
03-27-2011, 10:05 PM
nah

feel free to continue calling the brazilian and argie leagues 'bush league' though

flair for a dramatic misquote? i see what you did there. i applaud the effort.

sometimes it's amazing that people can't just post an opposite opinion around here, they need to add condescension and appear as though they're the second coming of the rules writing committee. :banghead: