PDA

View Full Version : Silviu Petrescu - Ref vs. Portland

flamehawk
03-26-2011, 04:42 PM
http://www.therecord.com/videozone/300478

Horrible game today, and apparently it wasn't the first time that the ref we had today has been a bit of an ass to TFC players.

TFC Cityboy
03-26-2011, 04:52 PM
the guy is a prick. end of.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I dispise the guy!! He has screwed us before!

Alixir
03-26-2011, 04:57 PM
he also didn't call 3 blatent hand balls right after he sent yourass off.

rocker
03-26-2011, 05:06 PM
He let things go in the first half.. both teams could have had yellows for bad challenges. Then he started being incredibly inconsistent -- booking players for things when other players were let off the hook... then closing his eyes to certain things.

ManUtd4ever
03-26-2011, 05:37 PM
In 119, we serenaded the hell out of this retard today!

I think he must have had money on Portland. The second yellow to Yourassowsky for walking too slowly off the pitch is a first in all my years of watching professional football. It was a disgraceful display of officiating that gave Portland more offensive opportunities than they actually earned today.

Pookie
03-26-2011, 05:44 PM
^ unless he said something directly to the Ref, I have no explanation for the card. If he felt he was wasting time, he could have simply added more time to the game.

zorsofstesab
03-26-2011, 05:53 PM
I can honestly say that after watching Petrescu today it was almost as about bad as having Toledo ref our games.

ExiledRed
03-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Well he didnt influence the outcome, and yourassoffsky has to start smartening up, he was carded for being a twat in Carolina too, and we cant afford to be a man down when were facing real teams.

Yohan
03-26-2011, 07:41 PM
I also lol'd at him spray painting the grass during set pieces

Eastend
03-26-2011, 08:10 PM
I can honestly say that after watching Petrescu today it was almost as about bad as having Toledo ref our games.

2 biggest douches in MLS ref pool.

Yohan
03-26-2011, 08:17 PM
so apparently TFC has 5 wins, 1 losses when Petrescu is the ref... lol

Oldtimer
03-26-2011, 09:46 PM

It's a south american tradition that FIFA is encouraging experimentation with. I actually have zero problems with it.

Petrescu has a thing against Toronto, it seems, from the John Carver days. Even apparent bias aside, his reffing is just horrible.

Roogsy
03-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Awful refereeing. We need to figure out a way to file a complaint against this guy.

Mark in Ottawa
03-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Was weird when DeRo waved to the crowd when coming to take a corner, getting a rise out of the southend, and the ref ran over gesturing to speed things up.

He wasn't delaying anymore than any other corner taken all game and doesn't the ref have the ability to tack on time if he thinks a team is wasting time??

NBS
03-26-2011, 11:47 PM
^ unless he said something directly to the Ref, I have no explanation for the card. If he felt he was wasting time, he could have simply added more time to the game.

Is time wasting not a bookable offence?

I was actually thinking that I would give Yourassowsky a yellow card in that situation myself as he was being so incredibly obvious with his time wasting, although I didn't think the ref would actually do it. However I say good on him for doing it. I'm so sick of time wasting bullshit in this sport that even though it went against TFC, I was happy to see it.

drexel10
03-26-2011, 11:57 PM

I was actually thinking that I would give Yourassowsky a yellow card in that situation myself as he was being so incredibly obvious with his time wasting, although I didn't think the ref would actually do it. However I say good on him for doing it. I'm so sick of time wasting bullshit in this sport that even though it went against TFC, I was happy to see it.

Why? He is just simply supposed to add another 30 seconds in injury time. It is an emotional reaction from the losing team that forces the ref to give out the card. He could have added an additional minute if he wanted to.

werewolf
03-26-2011, 11:57 PM
He was taking awhile to get to the sideline, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt given play was stopped a few mins before because he suffered a leg injury, and was limping a bit the remaining time on the field.

NBS
03-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Why? He is just simply supposed to add another 30 seconds in injury time. It is an emotional reaction from the losing team that forces the ref to give out the card. He could have added an additional minute if he wanted to.

True, but you can say that for any yellow card for time wasting, but so long as time wasting is a bookable offense, which it is, then the ref has the right to book it. I admit it's rare to have a second yellow issued for such a thing, but he has every right, and Yourassowsky was being rather obvious about it too, he pushed it just a bit too much and risked testing the ref's patience.

swan
03-27-2011, 05:52 AM
well maybe the ref told him to hurry up several times they were talking the whole way and if he told him that and he still didn't pick up his speed.. yellow card.. who knows he could have been warned several times

pekduck
03-27-2011, 05:56 AM
It was bull, from MLS official game recap. It was Delaying a Restart. Although it is within the power of the ref to issue a caution, but that's just inconsistent application of the rule of the game for the 90 min. These refs have to be consistent.

Misconduct Summary:
TOR -- Mikael Yourassowsky (caution; Persistent Infringement) 56
TOR -- Alan Gordon (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/alan-gordon) (caution; Reckless Tackle) 71
POR -- Peter Lowry (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/peter-lowry) (caution; Reckless Tackle) 77
TOR -- Dan Gargan (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/dan-gargan) (caution; Reckless Tackle) 79
TOR -- Mikael Yourassowsky (caution; Delaying a Restart) 84
TOR -- Mikael Yourassowsky (ejection; Second Caution) 84

Blazer
03-27-2011, 05:57 AM
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Third and fourth classed football garners third and fourth class officiating. He was equally bad for both sides. See things impartially.

pekduck
03-27-2011, 05:58 AM
^
can't argue with that, this is MLS after all

pekduck
03-27-2011, 06:54 AM
talking about red cards

TOR -- Mikael Yourassowsky (caution; Persistent Infringement) 56
TOR -- Mikael Yourassowsky (caution; Delaying a Restart) 84
TOR -- Mikael Yourassowsky (ejection; Second Caution) 84

VAN -- Eric Hassli (caution; Reckless Foul) 25
VAN -- Eric Hassli (caution; Reckless Foul) 57
VAN -- Eric Hassli (ejection; Second Caution) 57

KC -- Omar Bravo (ejection; Denied Goal Scoring Opportunity (Foul)) 30

DC -- Dejan Jakovic (ejection; Serious Foul Play) 93+

Pookie
03-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Oh it is and there was "much rejoicing" when the Ref gave that PR Islanders Keeper a card for time wasting a few years back.

I do think that you have to consider the context though and the player was previous injured (supposedly), and was already on a yellow. The game itself wasn't a chippy one and the Ref did have control of the match. In this discretionary game of rules enforcement, is 30 seconds in the late stages of a 2-0 game worth a game suspension?

Now as for the player, already being on a yellow, the question of why tempt fate comes to mind.

Mikey
03-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Has anyone timed how long he took leaving the pitch compared to other substitutions? didn't seem that long to me.

Blazer
03-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Pook - Ummm, not sure what game you were watching but I saw a fairly spirited affair with lotsa unusual “chippiness”. And to say the ref had control of that game is inaccurate. At least it was out of control for both squads though.

Pookie
03-27-2011, 07:43 AM
After the "purse swinging" in the first half, it didn't feel as though it was a powder keg waiting to end with someone getting a broken leg. It's subjective though.

In the end, the card for me was unnecessary but the player should have also been cautious given his situation.

Blazer
03-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Has anyone timed how long he took leaving the pitch compared to other substitutions? didn't seem that long to me.

Given the circumstance, he took too long. Players aren’t bigger than the game and shouldn’t therefore strut their stuff as though they are. If Yourass were smarter, he’d have realized that he was already on a card. If he wasn’t on a card, saunter off all you’d like but expect yellow in return.

I thought a card for time wasting, again given the circumstance (game well in hand), was appropriate. Turn the table and put us down by two with time left to at least pot one and save face for our 12 supports that made the trip and all is suddenly forgiven and forgotten.

Bottom line ... don't be an idiot and you won't be carded. It's pretty simple.

Ron Manager
03-27-2011, 08:25 AM
I have to say...the ejection and a few handballs in the middle of the pitch aside, I thought the ref did well. He could have thrown around yellows for that little scrum in the first half, we've seen refs do that before. He dealt with that situation in a fair and calm manner. I think that garnered some respect from fans and players alike.
As for "chippiness" I disagree. The game was physical, but I didn't see maliciousness in many (if any) challenges. From the MLS games I have seen so far this year (not just ours) I am getting the impression that the league has instructed the refs to allow more physical play. If you watch replays of many challenges where a player ended up on the ground, you'll see that they were either fair challenges for the ball or possibly a foul that was not very obvious outside of a slow mo replay where the ref gave the benefit of the doubt as it wasn't clear and nobody got hurt.
I hope that this is the case because diving and flopping around was rampant the last couple of years and that sort of thing doesn't sit well with the average North American sports fan. If the league wants to expand the fan base, a more physical (but not dirty) game will carry a wider appeal.

ag futbol
03-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Maybe there was some time wasting in it but the ref certainly had some better tools at his disposal to deal with the situation (such as adding more time on the clock at the end of the game).

As usual, MLS refs lack some of the skills to deal with the grey areas of the game which lead to bad decisions. I've readily seen guys take 3 or 4x as long in europe to get off the field without a card.

The game is managed differently at a recreational level than it is at a pro level. Now some purists might think that's a load of crap but its pretty much reality. So I can see why a pro player with the expectation of getting a moderate amount of time to get off the field would be a little bit shocked when the ref basically chases him to the halfway line and pulls a second yellow.

Quite amateurish.

Jack
03-27-2011, 10:40 AM
You never know what's happening on the field between players and ref. Yourassowsky may have been on his last legs with the ref. During the course of a match of a player pushes and pushes, the ref may finally snap. I've had it happen to me :D

CoachGT
03-27-2011, 10:48 AM
"Y" had a running battle with the ref all day. I don't like the call, but I don't understand why you'd tempt fate. All that accomplished was getting others riled (including Winter) at a time when the team needed to be calm and hurting the team next week.

Personally, while I abhor the card, I think "Y" acted incredibly selfishly.

werewolf
03-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Straight red cards from yesterday.

bqHtEthhofY

3HvEX3Gctnk

And Hassli's second yellow, which appears to be the most dangerous of all.

J21XjCH7u7Y

dow117
03-27-2011, 10:50 AM
The red card was just another MLS official showboating and taking things personally. What does he give when its a serious offence ??? once he's played all his cards. The reffing in this league is a real irritant and I do not see any consequences to them for these ridiculous calls ....

rocker
03-27-2011, 10:54 AM
just watched all the highlights from all the games.. man, there were some bad calls all over the league.... at least the refereeing is consistent ;) ;)

djking2
03-27-2011, 11:00 AM
I was waiting for someone to point out that Petrescu is a Canadian. Lives in Waterloo and has never been guilty of any favoritism toward Toronto that I or anyone else could notice.

Macksam
03-27-2011, 11:20 AM
I don't like it when refs try to become the star of the game.

Phil
03-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Overall I thought he did okay. There was that issue with Cooper and a couple TFC guys and he had them shake hands after a talking too.

Watching the game on replay it was clear that Yourassowsky had an ongoing dialogue with the ref and it boiled over at that point. Petrescu was consistantly on him all game and it makes me wonder if there was a verbal battle.

As well, Petrescu tried to usher Santos off the field and he walked the whole way (injured as well) and then Yourassowsky did the exact same thing (injured too).

I dont agree with the second yellow but after watching it all in that spolighted detail, I do get what was going on. If anything that was a warning to the new coaches that the refs are not going to put up with percieved time wasting.

Welcome to the MLS Winter...

Heathen
03-27-2011, 11:30 AM
and Hassli's second yellow, which appears to be the most dangerous of all.

J21XjCH7u7Y

Hassli is a liability he should've been sent off last week, that's the first red of many

Alixir
03-27-2011, 11:32 AM
the refs were throwing yellows out like candy yesterday not just in the TFC game.
Giving a guy a second yellow and punishing the team for not only yesterdays game but the next aswell just because its taking a guy more then a 20 seconds to get off the pitch is absolutely bullshit.

ag futbol
03-27-2011, 11:36 AM
I dunno, of all those other red cards, only the Jakovic one strikes me as completely ridiculous. The last defender one (well it was slight but he did foul him) and Hassli I don't have much of an issue with.

What I'm sure will drive all the fans in these games nuts is that I'm sure equal / greater offenses were committed at other points in the match, with no call to be seen.

Pachuco
03-27-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't say this often. Because I think the blaming of the refs is greatly over exagerated in the MLS. There are bad refs in every league I watch, including the World Cup. Having said that, Petrescu had one of the worst games as a ref I have ever seen in my life. Terrible, absolutely terrbible.

Nuvinho
03-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Winter is going to lose it soon. He is not used to such bad refs.

Wull
03-27-2011, 04:50 PM
If Yourass had just laid down he could have wasted more time and got stretchered off. That said I though Gordon could have gone for that lunge just outside the box in the first half that he didn't even get a yellow for and a portland player had a similar one too

rocker
03-27-2011, 05:26 PM
I dunno, of all those other red cards, only the Jakovic one strikes me as completely ridiculous. The last defender one (well it was slight but he did foul him)

was the card for the slight touch on the keeper? Or was it for kicking out? Because during the scrum after the fact, Jakovic clearly kicks out at somebody on New England.

sulfur
03-27-2011, 05:39 PM
was the card for the slight touch on the keeper? Or was it for kicking out? Because during the scrum after the fact, Jakovic clearly kicks out at somebody on New England.
It was for the push on the GK.

The kick out was him showing what he felt Reis had done to him. The ref had the red card out before Jakovic's first kick out.

2mil4dero+santo
03-27-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't think the officiating in this league is as bad as some make it out to be. I've seen a lot worse in other leagues.

Guess what guys we're not Barcelona and our refs aren't gonna be serie A or premiership refs, get over it. There are some refs in this league that I think are excellent.

Regarding Yourassowsky - two refs so far have sent him off for being a douche, so is the problem the officiating or him? Let's be realistic - if you piss off the ref you're not gonna get the benifit of the doubt. The official ruling is time wasting, but unofficially it was for pissing off the ref. Yourassowsky is an excellent player, but he needs to smarten up.

druid
03-28-2011, 02:15 PM
I dunno, of all those other red cards, only the Jakovic one strikes me as completely ridiculous. The last defender one (well it was slight but he did foul him) and Hassli I don't have much of an issue with.

What I'm sure will drive all the fans in these games nuts is that I'm sure equal / greater offenses were committed at other points in the match, with no call to be seen.

I watched the whole of the union/whitecaps game and there was way worse stuff going on. Harris almost had his leg broken and instead of a red they gave the union a throw in. Sending of Hassli was rubbing salt in the wound considering the treatment Hassli and Harris were getting from the union back line.

Oldtimer
03-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Winter is going to lose it soon. He is not used to such bad refs.

I hope he doesn't quit on us like Carver. :(

ManUtd4ever
03-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Don't worry OT, I'm sure Winter was forewarned about the quality of MLS officiating from Rudy Gullit and Paul Mariner.

BayernTFC
03-28-2011, 03:25 PM
I watched the whole of the union/whitecaps game and there was way worse stuff going on. Harris almost had his leg broken and instead of a red they gave the union a throw in. Sending of Hassli was rubbing salt in the wound considering the treatment Hassli and Harris were getting from the union back line.
The officiating in that game was atrocious. I could not believe what I was seeing at the end of the play that you mentioned. Philadelphia's Carlos Valdés with a two-footed lunge on Atiba Harris, misses the ball, and nearly snaps Harris' foot/leg. It was a straight red card and Valdés didn't even receive a yellow. Philadelphia was getting away with all sorts of cheap shots all game long. Harris endured very rough challenges throughout the match. Danny Califf should have received a second yellow for a reckless challenge against Harris, but only got the foul called (this was before Hassli received his second yellow). The referee in that game was giving yellow cards for simple fouls and nothing for offenses deserving of cards. The Philadelphia defenders were good actors and Hassli took the bait. Both Califf and Valdés embellished reactions on the fouls by Hassli. They were barely touched and they both dropped like a ton of bricks. Hassli will have to adjust to this and play more level-headed.

EDIT: The referee was Silvia Reyes. He let the game get out of hand and then tried to reel it back in with some poor calls. An absolutely terrible performance. Do MLS referees undergo a review after every game?

Alixir
03-28-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't think the officiating in this league is as bad as some make it out to be. I've seen a lot worse in other leagues.

J League is pretty bad at times...I spend more time yelling at the officials then I do yelling at my own team.

BayernTFC
03-28-2011, 04:22 PM
J League is pretty bad at times...I spend more time yelling at the officials then I do yelling at my own team.
I have watched a few J-league games and I never found the officiating to be distracting. I haven't observed many games, so I have no problems deferring to a more seasoned opinion on that subject. Maybe I have just been lucky? By no means are all MLS matches poorly officiated, but there are some games that I have watched where the referee has become the focal point.

Alixir
03-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I have watched a few J-league games and I never found the officiating to be distracting. I haven't observed many games, so I have no problems deferring to a more seasoned opinion on that subject. Maybe I have just been lucky? By no means are all MLS matches poorly officiated, but there are some games that I have watched where the referee has become the focal point.I have been a JEF United season ticket holder for 10 years. I have seen some brutal officiating at times there. Zerox cup Kashima vs Hiroshima was a match fixing disaster (lots of people in hong kong made a lot of money off that match that day) I am not saying its worse the MLS...

jloome
03-28-2011, 06:00 PM
I think he did what Canadian officials frequently do with Canadian teams, which is overcompensate to try and more "fair."

But do you all really think we were 10 fouls worse than Portland? Total for the game was 18 to 8.

denime
03-28-2011, 06:10 PM
I think he did what Canadian officials frequently do with Canadian teams, which is overcompensate to try and more "fair."

But do you all really think we were 10 fouls worse than Portland? Total for the game was 18 to 8.

THIS 100%

Spot on and hopefully he will never ever call TFC games.

BayernTFC
03-28-2011, 06:35 PM
I have been a JEF United season ticket holder for 10 years. I have seen some brutal officiating at times there. Zerox cup Kashima vs Hiroshima was a match fixing disaster (lots of people in hong kong made a lot of money off that match that day) I am not saying its worse the MLS...
I guess that explains the avatar. I have seen a little bit from the Kashima Antlers, the Urawa Red Diamonds, Gamba Osaka, Nagoya Grampus and Kawasaki Frontale. The J-League certainly employs some talented players. The fan support is great and the matches I have watched have been entertaining. The problems that Japan is experiencing now because of earthquakes and tsunamis is truly unfortunate. The Japanese are an industrious people and they will pull through.

Yohan
03-28-2011, 07:03 PM
THIS 100%

Spot on and hopefully he will never ever call TFC games.
did i forget to mention that TFC is 5 wins, 1 loss when Petrescu is the head ref?

jloome
03-28-2011, 07:07 PM
did i forget to mention that TFC is 5 wins, 1 loss when Petrescu is the head ref?

Demonstrates nothing dude. Post hoc fallacy. What were the foul counts in those games? Did they win in spite of him or was he a non-factor?

druid
03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
The Philadelphia defenders were good actors and Hassli took the bait. Both Califf and Valdés embellished reactions on the fouls by Hassli. They were barely touched and they both dropped like a ton of bricks. Hassli will have to adjust to this and play more level-headed.

EDIT: The referee was Silvia Reyes. He let the game get out of hand and then tried to reel it back in with some poor calls. An absolutely terrible performance. Do MLS referees undergo a review after every game?

You're right about the play acting/diving. Union's defence were dropping like flies at the slightest touch. Hopefully the refs have to watch tape on how they were conned after the games.

2mil4dero+santo
03-29-2011, 03:11 PM
The officiating in that game was atrocious. I could not believe what I was seeing at the end of the play that you mentioned. Philadelphia's Carlos Valdés with a two-footed lunge on Atiba Harris, misses the ball, and nearly snaps Harris' foot/leg. It was a straight red card and Valdés didn't even receive a yellow. Philadelphia was getting away with all sorts of cheap shots all game long. Harris endured very rough challenges throughout the match. Danny Califf should have received a second yellow for a reckless challenge against Harris, but only got the foul called (this was before Hassli received his second yellow). The referee in that game was giving yellow cards for simple fouls and nothing for offenses deserving of cards. The Philadelphia defenders were good actors and Hassli took the bait. Both Califf and Valdés embellished reactions on the fouls by Hassli. They were barely touched and they both dropped like a ton of bricks. Hassli will have to adjust to this and play more level-headed.

You're kidding right? Hassli is a butcher if you consider that "barely touched" I would hate to see you ref a game...

BayernTFC
03-29-2011, 04:10 PM
You're kidding right? Hassli is a butcher if you consider that "barely touched" I would hate to see you ref a game...
Silvia...Silvia Reyes...Is that you? :lol: How does one combat such a well formulated rebuttal that's based on the strength of reputation alone? I mean, who would dare question the judgment of someone who just registered on RPB this month and chose 2mil4dero+santo as their handle? Woe is me. I guess I'll just have to let others decide what to think for themselves:

VMO_SYqLkgY

Check at 2:52 and then 4:20 for the yellow cards given to Hassli.

2mil4dero+santo
03-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Silvia...Silvia Reyes...Is that you? :lol: How does one combat such a well formulated rebuttal that's based on the strength of reputation alone? I mean, who would dare question the judgment of someone who just registered on RPB this month and chose 2mil4dero+santo as their handle? Woe is me. I guess I'll just have to let others decide what to think for themselves:

VMO_SYqLkgY

lol even the commentators agree its a yellow. you can even make a case for straight red. the challenge is high, over the ball and about 2 years late. I don't understand how its even debatable?!
btw I've been on this board since day one, season ticket holder since day one. 5 road trips - not that this matters, just sayin... there's alot of reasons people register and re-register on here...

Torontotonto
03-30-2011, 11:24 AM

Thats was really funny.
I've never seen that before.

Fort York Redcoat
03-30-2011, 11:25 AM
^After reviewing the plays I would say that the two cards were warranted. I would also refrain from calling either one a butchering.

The second had more danger in it than the first but neither looked brutal. Both stupid cards to take. He'll be getting those all season with that kind of play plus his style and size.

Jack
03-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Thats was really funny.
I've never seen that before.

I've seen this before, maybe in Mexico or in South America (can't remember).

It isn't necessarily a bad thing with the way walls have a tendency to creep on free kicks.

This way, there's no doubt on where the line is, because there's an actual line.

BayernTFC
03-30-2011, 12:44 PM
lol even the commentators agree its a yellow.Nowhere in my comments did I say that Hassli's yellow cards were undeserving. In fact, I called them fouls and I wrote that Hassli should have avoided taking the bait, that he needs to learn from this experience and play more level headed. Both Califf and Valdés embellished their reactions and made the call easy for the referee. Valdés even did a 720 before he dropped. I suggest you watch the whole game. There are plenty of missed and incorrect calls. God bless commentators. Without them the uneducated masses would never know what was going on. :rolleyes:

you can even make a case for straight red. the challenge is high, over the ball and about 2 years late. I don't understand how its even debatable?!
Now I know it's you Silvia. :lol:

btw I've been on this board since day one, season ticket holder since day one. 5 road trips - not that this matters, just sayin... there's alot of reasons people register and re-register on here...
Yep. It's a great way to get around other members ignore lists. ;)

BayernTFC
03-30-2011, 01:03 PM
^After reviewing the plays I would say that the two cards were warranted. I would also refrain from calling either one a butchering.
Well, since this is a thread about Silviu Petrescu, there aren't too many comments about the Philadelphia vs Vancouver match officiated by Silvia Reyes. I don't recall anyone remarking that Hassli shouldn't have received the yellow cards that he did get. Only one poster used the words butcher. ;) Hassli played foolishly and made it easy for Califf and Valdés to play act and get him tossed. The foul that Califf gave against Atiba Harris' foot early in the second half, that didn't receive a card, was quite bad. It makes one wonder if the referee made a conscious decision based on the knowledge that Danny Califf was already on a yellow and that the match was being played in Philadelphia.

The second had more danger in it than the first but neither looked brutal. Both stupid cards to take. He'll be getting those all season with that kind of play plus his style and size.
Without the exaggerated reactions, perhaps even Reyes might have avoided giving Hassli a card on at least one of the plays? Maybe Hassli would have received a pass if he had Bimbo on his Jersey? Certain Philadelphia players didn't receive any cards for some clearly dangerous play. There's no doubt that Hassli will have to be aware of the quality of MLS officiating and make an adjustment.

Jeffro
03-30-2011, 01:12 PM
^those were both obvious yellow cards, the first one was cynical, the second was dangerous. Very stupid play by Hassli.

BayernTFC
03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Caps’ forward Atiba Harris, the victim of a nasty, unpunished Carlos Valdes tackle, was walking gingerly, his right foot wrapped in a tensor bandage. But Thordarson wasn’t treading so lightly.

“The league showed us some videos before the season started on stupid tackles that something would definitely be done about,” he said. “We had at least two in this game where Atiba could have easily broken his leg and that’s something I’m not happy about.

“It’s obvious [Valdes] should have been sent off — this is what the league said, to protect the players. It was crazy.”

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/call+nasty+tackle+leaves+Whitecaps+coach+shaking+h ead/4524684/story.html

It's way too easy for some to try to make this about Hassli's poor decisions in that game.

BayernTFC
03-30-2011, 03:38 PM
For those that missed the Reyes non-call of Valdés' two-footed challenge on Harris:

mXzLMiXMnRE

The evolution of the commentary throughout the clip maybe particularly interesting to those who like to rely on such things. ;)

ag futbol
03-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah it's things like that I just don't get. If you go in two footed + studs up = foul + card. No other way about it. Doesn't matter if you get the ball or not, dangerous play.

BayernTFC
03-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Here's the non-call on Califf:

pY5eYXv31jY

It should have been a second yellow for Califf and a well deserved sending off. Reyes didn't even call a foul.

maninb
03-31-2011, 11:22 AM

VMO_SYqLkgY

Sorry mate....that's an automatic red card...his first yellow was just plain dirty even if he didn't hit the guy hard, and his second yellow was even more obvious!!!

Azerban
03-31-2011, 11:30 AM
there's alot of reasons people [...] re-register on here...

not really

there's usually only one reason

can you figure it out

BayernTFC
03-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Sorry mate....that's an automatic red card...his first yellow was just plain dirty even if he didn't hit the guy hard, and his second yellow was even more obvious!!!
Well mate, thanks for coming out. In the end, you proved my point. However, It's clear that you didn't read the comments in this thread or watch the game in question. Califf was playing very dirty, he elbowed Hassli in the chest amongst other things, and didn't get called for almost all of it. Both Valdés and Califf were responsible for incredibly reckless challenges that could have resulted in Atiba Harris' leg being broken (the referee had a great vantage point both times and neither were called). Hassli let his emotions get the better of him and he retaliated. The magnitude of the fouls suffered by Atiba Harris aren't under question. Referee Silvia Reyes did an incredibly poor job throughout the match. His performance should be investigated.

brandrews
03-31-2011, 02:19 PM
both of the missed calls against valdes and califf should have been straight reds...terrible tackles...terrible reffing.

as for hassli, both yellows were desrved, but i think that to say that either one could have been a straight red would be a tad unfair; the first one maybe because of the stupidity level of it.

petrescu was not very good in our game, but just based on those two plays, there's a bad odour to reyes' game; i agree that he should definitely be investigated.