PDA

View Full Version : TSN...This is geting F&*^%*NG Riddiculous

prizby
03-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Why does it keep freezing...

I feel like I am watching an online stream.

This is complete garbage...never happened on CBC

#unimpressed
#bringbackcbc

Vancity RED
03-26-2011, 02:49 PM
I thought maybe it was my PVR. Grrr...

Steve-Tor
03-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Mine is the same guys, it's not your equipment.

Like you say, its like watching a stream:(

TFCREDNWHITE
03-26-2011, 03:06 PM
What the hell!? No post game interview with even a single player!!? TSN sucks.

boban
03-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Yeah the feed leaves something to be desired for sure.
Also, they do the minimum on the broadcast. They add nothing special to it.
Was better on CBC with 4 PM starts. No this 2 Pm one week, 1 pm another week BS.

swan
03-26-2011, 03:19 PM
2 games 2 shitty broadcast..

first game couldn't even watch and this was like watching a crappy stream.. it did get better 2nd half

nascarguy
03-26-2011, 03:21 PM

#unimpressed
#bringbackcbcit has nothing to do with TSN it has to do with the digital cable that everyone has now

boban
03-26-2011, 03:23 PM
it has nothing to do with TSN it has to do with the digital cable that everyone has now
I don't have it.
Plus, why doesn't that shit happen to hockey games?

TFCRegina
03-26-2011, 03:25 PM

#unimpressed
#bringbackcbc

As someone who watched every TFC game, other than Colorado Home and New England Home, on TV, I can assure you it happened all the time on CBC. Don't kid yourself.

boban
03-26-2011, 03:26 PM
i sure as hell don't recall. And if it did, it was so infrequent and insignificant that we don;t recall.

TFC07
03-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Oh good! I thought it was my TV or Rogers messing up signal. But yeah, TSN get your shit together!

JuliquE
03-26-2011, 03:29 PM
it has nothing to do with TSN it has to do with the digital cable that everyone has now
This.

The U.S. broadcast had the same problems; at least they apologized about it -- you can complain about TSN for that!

LittleOzzy
03-26-2011, 03:36 PM
This.

The U.S. broadcast had the same problems; at least they apologized about it -- you can complain about TSN for that!

Yes since they would be using the same feed that TSN would be providing.

Alixir
03-26-2011, 04:05 PM
actually Luke appologized for the technical probs they where having so it was on TSNs end.

prizby
03-26-2011, 04:23 PM
As someone who watched every TFC game, other than Colorado Home and New England Home, on TV, I can assure you it happened all the time on CBC. Don't kid yourself.

i watched tons of games on cbc and goltv last year and year before...i cannot recall once their being an issue let alone the same shit over and over and over and over gain

nfitz
03-26-2011, 07:07 PM
As someone who watched every TFC game, other than Colorado Home and New England Home, on TV, I can assure you it happened all the time on CBC. Don't kid yourself.I've just been watching what I recorded ... I've never seen such a terrible broadcast. At one point they went to canned material for about 5 minutes as they were interviewing Anselmi, when there feed broke up. More than once it froze during the game for 15 seconds or so.

This is nothing to do with digital cable ... not when they start substituting in material ... and apologize for the signal problems!

I never saw anything like this on CBC.

I haven't subscribed to TSN for years ... and I don't think I've ever watched anything they've produced before. Are they always this bush league?

BFin
03-26-2011, 07:48 PM

LOL

This is 100% NOT true.

IT was TSN's equipment at the stadium that caused that, or else they would not have been able to cut to commercial. If it was our cable, why would we see the commercials!?

LOL

BFin
03-26-2011, 07:49 PM
I agree with everyone, that was an embarassing broadcast for TSN. I counted freezes of 16 seconds, 13 seconds and 11 seconds...that is awful.

boban
03-26-2011, 08:00 PM
I agree with everyone, that was an embarassing broadcast for TSN. I counted freezes of 16 seconds, 13 seconds and 11 seconds...that is awful.
I guess we see how much money they are putting behind it - All their old outdated machines/equipment!! lol

BFin
03-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Could have been the weather affecting it for all we know. Many different things can go wrong throughout a broadcast. I will give TSN credit, they have some of the most crisp HD I have ever seen. I look forward to the time when they perfect it.

prizby
03-27-2011, 10:45 AM
weather didn't effect the MLS Cup Final last year

BeerBaron95
03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Next time attend the games and avoid this ;)

Macksam
03-27-2011, 11:25 AM
The Vancouver game last week was alright, but I watched it on SD so maybe that's why.

swan
03-27-2011, 11:35 AM
not for the mls live viewers the game wasn't shown at all but all the others were working, in the chat box people were saying it was a problem at the stadium so i will take that as a tsn fuck up..

i was reduces to watching last weeks game on some channel on justin tv of a guy with a web came pointed at his tv and listening to it over the 590 radio witch was off by a few min.. that sucked..

tsn might be the bigger sports channel and all but at least viewers in the states (michigan ) get cbc no chance of seeing a game on t.v here anymore..

Alixir
03-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Its funny how TSN put the highlight vid on their website with the American play by play ans not their own play by play voices.

Parkdale
03-27-2011, 11:38 AM

maybe because it was freezing down at BMO?

trollface

Huyton
03-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I liked the helicopter shots.

nfitz
03-27-2011, 01:18 PM
I liked the helicopter shots.Those were cool ... but in retrospect, TSN should perhaps have spent it's money on the basics!

prizby
03-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Those were cool ... but in retrospect, TSN should perhaps have spent it's money on the basics!
+1 .

TFCwestcan
03-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Every preseason game was stop start, I was pretty pissed off that I was seeing the same thing. It was really annoying in one instance where TFC was on the offensive and it looked promising, freeze and then you see a goal kick, WTF. The ground level host is useless you can tell he feels punished for having to talk soccer. About the only thing TSN brought was the shot from the sky....not great.

J .
03-27-2011, 06:50 PM
CBC had it down and I liked what they had. I liked I could go back and watch the games in full afterward and I liked it because you always missed something when your in the stands and I could always check it later.

From what Ive seen Id rate it a 5/10 and Im not confident theyll get it right considering its not a real priority for them.

Waggy
03-27-2011, 07:02 PM
As annoying as it is, as someone who watches a LOT of sports on digital cable, it happens a lot. It's not the channel, its the provider. The explination I heard is digital cable works kind of like internet, and it's basically if there is a bandwidth shortage for some reason. It's happened in basketball games I'm watching with less than a minute left in tied games. I've gone ballistic because of it. Nothing TSN can do

And TSN appologized for it therefor its their fault? What? If I say something so ridiculously racist and offensive here that it becomes a news story even after it gets deleted by mods, and the Red Patch Boys as a group have to publicly appologize because of this horrible thing posted on their forum, is it their fault that I said what I said? They appologized for it right?

boban
03-27-2011, 07:14 PM
I don't have digital, but I still get those breaks in the feed.
And Waggy, yes it is. Who's else is it?

Brooker
03-27-2011, 07:32 PM
As annoying as it is, as someone who watches a LOT of sports on digital cable, it happens a lot. It's not the channel, its the provider. The explination I heard is digital cable works kind of like internet, and it's basically if there is a bandwidth shortage for some reason. It's happened in basketball games I'm watching with less than a minute left in tied games. I've gone ballistic because of it. Nothing TSN can do

And TSN appologized for it therefor its their fault? What? If I say something so ridiculously racist and offensive here that it becomes a news story even after it gets deleted by mods, and the Red Patch Boys as a group have to publicly appologize because of this horrible thing posted on their forum, is it their fault that I said what I said? They appologized for it right?

This.

Phil
03-27-2011, 07:49 PM
All the commercials worked fine.

They apologized for the broken up stuff and 'hoped' they had it sorted out at one point.

That is a pretty straight forward that they had technical issues if you ask me. The game itself wasnt too bad for it but the pre game was brutal.

swan
03-27-2011, 07:54 PM
it was going on well into the first half but was fixed for the the end of 1st and 2nd..

johnmolinaro
03-27-2011, 08:26 PM
I haven't watched a TSN broadcast yet because I was in the press box for both games, but it seems unfair to write them off after just two matches.

TSN is new to this, so give them a bit more time before judging them. I'm sure they'll get it right.

John

Waggy
03-27-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't have digital, but I still get those breaks in the feed.
And Waggy, yes it is. Who's else is it?

I'd think it would be Rogers, tsn sends them the signal, they send it out to the masses. I'm not saying I'm sure its not TSNs fault, it could be, this is definitely not my field. All I can say is when similar problems have happened and I've called and asked I've been told it's not the channel, but the provider. If people watching who have Bell as a service provider had the same problem then I guess it was TSNs fault, but it seemed to be on the distribution end rather than the raw feed end from what I could see.

Yagbod
03-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I'd think it would be Rogers, tsn sends them the signal, they send it out to the masses. I'm not saying I'm sure its not TSNs fault, it could be, this is definitely not my field. All I can say is when similar problems have happened and I've called and asked I've been told it's not the channel, but the provider. If people watching who have Bell as a service provider had the same problem then I guess it was TSNs fault, but it seemed to be on the distribution end rather than the raw feed end from what I could see.

My mom has Bell. It was the first thing she said to me after the game. She didn't say it was unwatchable, but damned near. She said it was very frustrating.

nfitz
03-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Bell seems to have something against TFC. Just picked up Monday's Globe and I turned to the Sports section to see what they'd say about the game.

It literally said that if you want to hear anything about the game, you shouldn't be reading the paper, but should instead be on the Internet.

Perhaps their sponsorship of Vancouver included a clause that they would provide crappy coverage of TFC in their media outlets. :)

swan
03-28-2011, 07:41 AM
I haven't watched a TSN broadcast yet because I was in the press box for both games, but it seems unfair to write them off after just two matches.

TSN is new to this, so give them a bit more time before judging them. I'm sure they'll get it right.

John

no they aren't this is what they do new to tfc yes but not broadcasting sports..

BFin
03-28-2011, 08:12 AM

I work in the industry. You're wrong.

How can it be on the distribution end when the TSN symbols do not go to black when the screen freezes? How could they cut to commercial when the feed was frozen from the cable provider? Why would TSN apologize publicly to all watching for the errors? Why would Bell and Rogers customers get it who were on both digital and non-digital signals?

I have already stated this before.

BFin
03-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Read the terms and service for the board. I'm sure it states that the opinions expressed on the board are not those of the Red Patch Boys.

Nice extreme example though.

Ageroo
03-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Read the terms and service for the board. I'm sure it states that the opinions expressed on the board are not those of the Red Patch Boys.

:thumbsup:

Waggy
03-28-2011, 08:45 AM

Just passing on what I was told, like I said it's not my field at all. When I've called and complained about this happening before (if you have money on a game thats tight to the end and can't watch the last minute it's.... frustrating) thats the explanation a few different stations gave me. Guess it's just a big game of pass the buck (I'll try and contain my shock)

and extreme, maybe. But so is not getting a proper game feed!

BFin
03-28-2011, 08:48 AM
A lot of pass the buck goes on. You're 100% right.

I can't disagree with that. As I said, pauses of 16 seconds, 13 seconds and 11 seconds almost made me want to switch to March Madness. TSN will get it right, and it will be glorious.

Bluenose13
03-28-2011, 09:06 AM
TSN will be the best thing that ever happened to TFC. Our broadcast numbers have always been embarrassing low. TSN will fix that.

TSN - Single handedly saved the CFL in Canada.

TSN - Took the world juniors from a also ran tournament & turned it into must see tv in Canada.

TSN - Somehow turned Curling into a major sporting event with huge broadcast numbers.

TSN - MLS/TFC a work in progress.

ManUtd4ever
03-28-2011, 09:14 AM
TSN will be the best thing that ever happened to TFC. Our broadcast numbers have always been embarrassing low. TSN will fix that.

TSN - Took the world juniors from a also ran tournament & turned it into must see tv in Canada.

TSN - Somehow turned Curling into a major sporting event with huge broadcast numbers.

Absolutely. Judging by the activity on TSN's website following the first two matches of the season, there is already a substantial increase in interest from casual sports fans in this city. The TSN brand lends credibility to TFC/MLS, and it will foster significant growth in the years to come.

TFCwestcan
03-28-2011, 11:11 AM

The provider? hmmm, as some are on bell, rogers I am on Shaw here in Calgary, how can it be the provider when it seemed pretty widespread to me.

prizby
03-28-2011, 11:24 AM

too bad i am using East Link

TSN - took the CIS Basketball Championship from the score and SHOWED THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME (as well as others) ON TAPE DELAY

TSN - is showing Curling on TSN while the FINAL FOUR is on TSN2...AS WELL AS THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::face palm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::face palm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::face palm:

look the apologized pregame for their problems, but they didn't FIX them...these issues continued during the game...apologize all you want, but when they happen during the games, expect complaints

LittleOzzy
03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
any word on Ratings this weekend for both TFC and the Whitecaps?

BFin
03-28-2011, 11:39 AM
too bad i am using East Link

TSN - took the CIS Basketball Championship from the score and SHOWED THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME (as well as others) ON TAPE DELAY

TSN - is showing Curling on TSN while the FINAL FOUR is on TSN2...AS WELL AS THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::face palm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::face palm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::face palm:

look the apologized pregame for their problems, but they didn't FIX them...these issues continued during the game...apologize all you want, but when they happen during the games, expect complaints

To all of the facepalms above.....so? CIS is probably about as sparsely watched as darts. TSN2 is a fine station, and CBS has the Final Four if you don't have TSN2. I don't think that warrants whining.

bee dubya
03-28-2011, 11:48 AM
For what it's worth, live event transmissions can be a tricky prospect. I know we all expect every event to be a flawless presentation but these things happen here and there. It could have been a piece of gear or a bad wire...it's very difficult to say.

oh and Prizby - East Link gets their signal from Rogers.

Roogsy
03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Hating TSN is like hating the hot girl.

You hate her because she ignores you but secretly you want to bone her.

I've hated TSN...but truth be told, TSN has the power in the country to turn TFC and MLS into a bonafide power.

So basically I am saying I want to bone Carts... :hump:

Whoop
03-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Ok that's just disturbing. LOL

BFin
03-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Oh no Roogs.

You sick, sick man.

Bluenose13
03-28-2011, 12:24 PM
So basically I am saying I want to bone Carts... :hump:After a few drinks, Carts would probably let you :drinking:

Boris
03-28-2011, 01:09 PM
are you drunk?

Pinkie
03-28-2011, 01:14 PM
i think we can safely say that everyone is drunk

ginkster88
03-28-2011, 01:15 PM

Sorry that they didn't replace a competition with a Canadian entry with an entirely American event. Curling is more important to more Canadians than NCAA Basketball.

Bluenose13
03-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Carts has a crystal ball.

Serb_Star
03-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Sorry that they didn't replace a competition with a Canadian entry with an entirely American event. Curling is more important to more Canadians than NCAA Basketball.

Sad but true.

That will change though, there are countless top-rated Canadian players that will take the NCAA by storm in the coming years.

Number Nine
03-28-2011, 01:30 PM
lolwut? :P

TFC07
03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Not bad for early afternoon game. WOW @ Pre game ratings!

pekduck
03-28-2011, 01:49 PM
So basically I am saying I want to bone Carts... :hump:

After a few drinks, Carts would probably let you :drinking:

are you drunk?

guys go get a room...lol

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Another nice bit from TSN - a Luke Wileman blog on the team, linked to on the front page of TSN.ca.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=359846

- Scott

BFin
03-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Don't worry Carts, I have been telling him for 2 weeks ever since the CIS Basketball "fiasco"...

ginkster88
03-28-2011, 03:49 PM
809000 viewers with a 9am start time.

That is either indicative of the rabid curling fandom in this country or the curling demographic, I can't tell which.

BFin
03-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Or a lot of hung over people being passed out on the couch with their TV on...:)

LittleOzzy
03-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks for posting the ratings, they always interest me.

Will be interesting to see how the numbers change on GolTV

tfcleeds
03-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Carts, are you able to provide a further breakdown by region? I'm curious what % of the curling viewers were in Western Canada.

bgnewf
03-28-2011, 09:26 PM
I guess we see how much money they are putting behind it - All their old outdated machines/equipment!! lol

So I guess you did not see the rented helicopter above the stadium hovering and giving them shots of the stadium from above. That is not cheap.

boban
03-28-2011, 11:34 PM
So I guess you did not see the rented helicopter above the stadium hovering and giving them shots of the stadium from above. That is not cheap.
Not if I was watching the game on TV Sherlock.
besides, CBC did those same shots also.

Fort York Redcoat
03-29-2011, 07:39 AM
809000 viewers with a 9am start time.

That is either indicative of the rabid curling fandom in this country or the curling demographic, I can't tell which.

Or a lot of hung over people being passed out on the couch with their TV on...:)

Or a lot of Bluehairs that are trapped inside from the cold...

nfitz
03-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Not if I was watching the game on TV Sherlock.Surely you would have seen those shots watching TV ?? While I saw the helicopter over the stadium, I hadn't realised it was doing TV until I looked at some of the game again later.

CBC did those same shots also.I don't recall that. Which game?

Miko
03-29-2011, 07:58 AM

Wasn't really rented...it was the CTV news helicopter. Same corporate family.

boban
03-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't recall that. Which game?
First year or two they did a couple. Not many but a some.

boban
03-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Surely you would have seen those shots watching TV ?? While I saw the helicopter over the stadium, I hadn't realised it was doing TV until I looked at some of the game again later.
He was pertaining to the actual helicopter. Not the shots from it.

nfitz
03-29-2011, 12:09 PM
He was pertaining to the actual helicopter. Not the shots from it.Ah, got you ...

... seems to be a grammatical fine-point though ... which is ironic ...

prizby
03-29-2011, 12:51 PM

nope...my feed must have been frozen when they were doing this

TFC07
03-29-2011, 03:39 PM
So far: CBC >>> TSN

Too bad ML$E didn't agree to put rest of their games on CBC. :facepalm:

Whoop
03-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Wow. And I thought the DeRo debates were monotonous at times. LOL

Beach_Red
03-29-2011, 04:18 PM

Still, I'm surprised we haven't seen the rates for helicopter rentals... ;)

boban
03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
So I take it you won't show your face in this thread anymore.

ginkster88
03-29-2011, 05:22 PM
So I take it you won't show your face in this thread anymore.

It is pretty dumb. Anyone arguing that a TSN deal won't grow the game domestically is going to look a bit foolish a year from now.

TFCRegina
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
It is pretty dumb. Anyone arguing that a TSN deal won't grow the game domestically is going to look a bit foolish a year from now.

TSN is putting it in sportscentre, they're covering all the TFC games they have on TSN and not TSN2. I don't know why people here are bitching.

ginkster88
03-29-2011, 05:31 PM
TSN is putting it in sportscentre, they're covering all the TFC games they have on TSN and not TSN2. I don't know why people here are bitching.

My guess is that TSN will use a double-headed monster of the CFL and MLS to combat Rogers' monopoly on the Jays for the summer content war.

TFCRegina
03-29-2011, 05:39 PM
My guess is that TSN will use a double-headed monster of the CFL and MLS to combat Rogers' monopoly on the Jays for the summer content war.

And TSN will win, especially since Sportsnet loves to shove content onto Sportsnet One. I've given up on trying to watch Milos Raonic, because they keep making it inaccessible to me.

boban
03-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Same could be said in the opposite.
The jury is still out is all I am saying. I haven't seen anything new in the broadcast, outside the regurgitated intro to all their shows (which makes it not new/extra).

Anyhow, you can't say CBC wouldn't grow the game either. TSN has the benefit of having VWFC and Montreal Impact to grow the popularity and ratings. hence, its a natural progression that should not be all attributed to TSN.
Incidentally, the WC this past year had the best ratings from previous years, more fan interest, viewing parties from coast to coast. Don't recall CBC getting props for growing it the way TSN has gotten for just these 2 games - 2 games that historically had the best ratings year over year.

ilikemusic
04-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Well, TSN is off to an equally bad start as last week. Come on TSN. Get your shit together.

ag futbol
04-02-2011, 12:05 PM
holly fuck TSN ... get this working

werewolf
04-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Why does the game story start off on the website "No DeRo, No problem for Toronto FC". Losing to the worst team in the league at home is a slight problem for me.

LucaGol
04-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Why does the game story start off on the website "No DeRo, No problem for Toronto FC". Losing to the worst team in the league at home is a slight problem for me.

Well they didn't lose ... but ya ... still strange.

But it's more or less in line with the level of post game match reports we've become accustomed to these past five years whether its on TSN.ca, sportsnet.ca, or torontofc.ca.

werewolf
04-02-2011, 05:47 PM
oops, meant losing points. Which at home is borderline L in the stadings.

nfitz
04-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Well the (brief) pre-game coverage was technically worse than anything I've ever seen on a small-town community cable channel, they did seem to hold it together for the rest of the broadcast. I don't know who this Claude Feig guy is ... accent sounds a bit odd ... and he calls the team FC rather than TFC or Toronto ... very annoying ... doesn't seem to know much about soccer ...

The lack of any post-game coverage was odd. They didn't even run highlights of the last half ... and very quickly closed the broadcast so that they could run a 30-minute "best 10 curling shots" or something show ... very bizarre. You've got the whole team in place, etc., and you cut them off quickly to run filler programming?

boban
04-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Claude Feig has been on CFTO (CTV Toronto) sports for years.

boban
04-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Well the (brief) pre-game coverage was technically worse than anything I've ever seen on a small-town community cable channel, they did seem to hold it together for the rest of the broadcast. I don't know who this Claude Feig guy is ... accent sounds a bit odd ... and he calls the team FC rather than TFC or Toronto ... very annoying ... doesn't seem to know much about soccer ...

The lack of any post-game coverage was odd. They didn't even run highlights of the last half ... and very quickly closed the broadcast so that they could run a 30-minute "best 10 curling shots" or something show ... very bizarre. You've got the whole team in place, etc., and you cut them off quickly to run filler programming?
Yeah their post game is absolutely horrible. No comments, interview, nothing.
They have not added anything to the broadcast.
I feel this more about not having someone else broadcast than they actually wanting to see it grow.

nfitz
04-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Claude Feig has been on CFTO (CTV Toronto) sports for years.Never really watched the channel (do people still watch sports on local TV stations)?

Is he normally that ignorant? It's kind of equivalent of talking about the "Toronto Maple Leaves".

His speaking style sounds very annoying to me ...

boban
04-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Never really watched the channel (do people still watch sports on local TV stations)?

Is he normally that ignorant? It's kind of equivalent of talking about the "Toronto Maple Leaves".

His speaking style sounds very annoying to me ...
Well when you watch the news program you catch it. Unless you don't watch news.

nfitz
04-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Well when you watch the news program you catch it. Unless you don't watch news.... not on a local TV channel - not in a couple of decades at least. Used to be a convenient way to get news before the Internet ... and when I was in school ... but who has time to watch TV at 6 pm (or whenever it's on now ...)? I'll watch national news occasionally ... for 5-minutes or so ... isn't a very efficient way to get news.

The question however, is this typical for him? And why does he speak so oddly ... it sounds so fake somehow ... can't quite put my finger on it. Just very annoying.