PDA

View Full Version : TFC curse

Icicle
03-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I was thinking recently.....TFC is like having a bad curse hanging over the team. We get amazing players that have been playing awesome in other teams but once they are in TFC, they start going down and play like crap....Once they are out of our team, they play amazing again. I thought it was a player or two but my recollections state more than that. It's like we are in a back hole. It's funny but this is happening with most TO teams in other sports as well..

Anyway, I still love them and I will support them no matter what :). I noticed better game last week-more entertaining, more passing, and more thinking, so I hope we will break this curse and kick butts like never before :)

Gooooo Torontoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scarf:

s2cazz
03-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Thats not a curse. Thats mismanagement of resources.

Which is what the point of bringing in new management was. So can we stop talking about it.

BFin
03-22-2011, 03:37 PM
The Jays are stronger than they have been in years.

The Leafs are better than they have been in 4 years.

TFC just sucks.

Also, didn't DeRo have a career year with TFC? Haven't Nana and Frei improved each year since they started with the team? Didn't Cann have a career year with TFC last year?

Mark in Ottawa
03-22-2011, 05:36 PM
The only curse I can think of is the "curse of the # 4".

Every TFC player who has worn it has got a rough ride... Nick Garcia... Marco Velez...

Word to this years roster... DON'T DO IT!! Don't wear # 4!

pekduck
03-22-2011, 05:38 PM
^
who's #4 this season?

TFCRegina
03-22-2011, 05:54 PM
^
who's #4 this season?

No one according to the website. But we have like 5 number 0s.

pekduck
03-22-2011, 05:59 PM
why would any soccer player want to wear jersey number with 0, or 00, or 99 is beyond me...

billyfly
03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Moreno (?) wore 99 when in DC.

Remember the "You're not Gretzky!" chant?

Carts
03-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Didn't Cunningham wear 96 (or something) to mark how many career goals he had scored...

Then when he left and joined a new club, the number was down to 84 to reflect the number of open nets he missed in 1-season with us!

Carts...

boban
03-22-2011, 07:59 PM

TFC just sucks.

Also, didn't DeRo have a career year with TFC? Haven't Nana and Frei improved each year since they started with the team? Didn't Cann have a career year with TFC last year?
Yeah but they didn't win anything.

[NBF]
03-23-2011, 12:42 AM
You know the first thing I noticed was a bit off in the Vancouver vs TFC game was that there were no lines going across the field. I'm not sure what the name for those lines are, but arent they suppose to help the assistant referee call offsides? HAHAHAAHA.

I call shananagans. Damn VanCity ground crew.

As far as being cursed. This roster has been de-valued from day one. All those trades that Mo Johnston made were a farse considering that we would just trade the same person for less than half the value we got for the original trade.

Example:
1. Marvell Wynne- We traded Marvell for Nick Labrocca, and then we turned around and got Alan Gordon for Nick Labrocca.

2. 1st Round Draft Pick in 2011- We traded the first round pick in this year's draft in a trade for Nathan Sturgis. What did we get in return? A midfielder that doesn't tackle?

Redcoe15
03-23-2011, 01:39 AM

And the Raptors are...

Never mind! :D

Dunkers
03-23-2011, 02:43 AM
TFC curse, I don't think so

Ob White, Barrett and Ruiz will all do the same thing for their new teams, that they did for TFC. I think Ruiz might even be worse. Did anyone see that flying elbow last week (it was hard to miss)

Fort York Redcoat
03-23-2011, 06:22 AM
TFC just sucks.

This is one of the strangest posts I've ever seen. I'll say this much fin, you're seeing the glass half empty and half full.

As to the curse, there are plenty of players that have struggled here and continue to struggle when they leave. Some just fall out of the league.

BFin
03-23-2011, 07:54 AM
This is one of the strangest posts I've ever seen. I'll say this much fin, you're seeing the glass half empty and half full.

As to the curse, there are plenty of players that have struggled here and continue to struggle when they leave. Some just fall out of the league.

It wasn't strange. It was pointing out the fact that there is no curse, we just stink as an organization and that players aren't all sucked into a black hole as the original poster put it. I think it was pretty clear.

BFin
03-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Yeah but they didn't win anything.

Strong argument. Does that mean that every one of the other teams who didn't win the supporters shield or MLS cup are cursed as well? That's a lot of curses...

ManUtd4ever
03-23-2011, 08:28 AM
It wasn't strange. It was pointing out the fact that there is no curse, we just stink as an organization and that players aren't all sucked into a black hole as the original poster put it. I think it was pretty clear.

Agreed, it works both ways. There are also other recent examples of athletes acquired from other organizations that have emerged as better players in Toronto; Santos, Bautista, Grabovski, MacArthur, Aulie...

Wull
03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
We're the new boston red sox! There was no bambino curse you just sucked for 1000 years!

boban
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Strong argument. Does that mean that every one of the other teams who didn't win the supporters shield or MLS cup are cursed as well? That's a lot of curses...
Not necessarily. They also have the US Open Cup to win which is more harder to win than our NCC.
Also, they are only 1 team, yet you spoke pretty much of all Toronto sports teams as a whole.
I would like to point out also that you mentioned the Leafs are better than in 4 yrs or so. So what? They went from 27/28 to 20, big deal, wooohooo.
No playoffs. And even if they make the playoffs it doesn't mean they win the cup, which just shows even more they still suck.

Fort York Redcoat
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM

It's clear. It's strange to see positivity and negativity in the same post.

Strange. Not wrong. Uncommon. And I wasn't saying that's a bad thing.:)

TorCanSoc
03-23-2011, 09:20 AM
The pressure feels different around here that's for sure. Some teams have pressure to win it all. Some teams have pressure to make the playoffs. We've hit so low, that our pressure is to "not suck". And its tough to succeed in that pressure cooker.

You can dismiss 4 years of history with 1 year of wins. But man... every early season loss is going to bring out Chicken Little... "The sky is falling!! The sky is falling!". Tough tough tough.

ManUtd4ever
03-23-2011, 09:48 AM
The pressure feels different around here that's for sure. Some teams have pressure to win it all. Some teams have pressure to make the playoffs. We've hit so low, that our pressure is to "not suck". And its tough to succeed in that pressure cooker.

You can dismiss 4 years of history with 1 year of wins. But man... every early season loss is going to bring out Chicken Little... "The sky is falling!! The sky is falling!". Tough tough tough.

It might feel that way now because it's been a while since any of our teams have made the playoffs (aside from the Argos last season), let alone contend for a championship. Sports fans in this city are desperate.

However, when the Leafs for example, were a perennial playoff team for several years during the Pat Quinn era, the bar was definitely raised. Anything less than an appearance in the Conference Finals was considered a disappointment.

TorCanSoc
03-23-2011, 10:03 AM
^ I feel feel this way, because its true no? If we lose to Portland... the Chicken Little's don't come out?

I'm not the negative guy, but I shudder to read the press if we lose to Portland. We had a great run in the CCL, lets not forget that positive part of last season.

Personally... I think we're going to smoke Portland, and ... not "right the ship"... but quell the naysayers for a while.

BFin
03-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Not necessarily. They also have the US Open Cup to win which is more harder to win than our NCC.
Also, they are only 1 team, yet you spoke pretty much of all Toronto sports teams as a whole.
I would like to point out also that you mentioned the Leafs are better than in 4 yrs or so. So what? They went from 27/28 to 20, big deal, wooohooo.
No playoffs. And even if they make the playoffs it doesn't mean they win the cup, which just shows even more they still suck.

- Who is they? I never spoke about the US Open Cup, merely said that every year there is only 1 or 2 winners in MLS...that doesn't mean every other team is cursed and a bunch of losers.
- I spoke of all Toronto teams because if you notice closely, it was a response to the original post. I apologize for keeping on topic there.
- If you read the original post you would notice he referenced a black hole with which all Toronto teams are crawling into. Improving 8 spots by no means indicates that.
- Making the playoffs and not winning the cup means you suck? With this level of sports IQ I am shocked MoJo didn't have you on his management team.

ginkster88
03-23-2011, 12:10 PM
- Who is they? I never spoke about the US Open Cup, merely said that every year there is only 1 or 2 winners in MLS...that doesn't mean every other team is cursed and a bunch of losers.
- I spoke of all Toronto teams because if you notice closely, it was a response to the original post. I apologize for keeping on topic there.
- If you read the original post you would notice he referenced a black hole with which all Toronto teams are crawling into. Improving 8 spots by no means indicates that.
- Making the playoffs and not winning the cup means you suck? With this level of sports IQ I am shocked MoJo didn't have you on his management team.

Come on Finny, there were so many terrible teams in the NHL last year: Philadelphia, Montreal, Washington, Vancouver, Nashville, LA, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Buffalo, Ottawa, San Jose, Colorado, Detroit, Phoenix and Boston, to name just a few.

Organizational improvement counts for shit, it only matters if you win the big one. The 90s Bills teams all sucked. So do the Pittsburgh Steelers. Roger Federer is done. The Phillies are a bunch of nobodies.

His posts are just too good.

BFin
03-23-2011, 12:14 PM
I feel like he's trolling me! IF so...well done sir. You have bested my Inner tubez.

ginkster88
03-23-2011, 12:22 PM
I feel like he's trolling me! IF so...well done sir. You have bested my Inner tubez.

It's scary because I don't think he is, otherwise his phasers are always set to "Troll".