PDA

View Full Version : Joao Plata - What's his Status?

prizby
03-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Is he with the team?

Whats happening with him?

Suds
03-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Good question. I don't recall any news on him being signed.

prizby
03-22-2011, 02:19 PM
wasn't he signed though by the MLS on loan then selected by TFC in the draft?

ManUtd4ever
03-22-2011, 02:23 PM
wasn't he signed though by the MLS on loan then selected by TFC in the draft?

Yes. He's with the team but he hasn't been selected for the starting lineup/reserves for a regular season match yet.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-22-2011, 02:23 PM
prob the same as Burgos, waiting for his papers. Wheres Ornoch at?

trane
03-22-2011, 02:26 PM
I am concerned about his size. He would seem easy to knock of the ball.

Milky
03-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I'm concerned about Messi's size too.

Menelaos
03-22-2011, 02:33 PM

HA HA! :hump:

trane
03-22-2011, 02:37 PM
^ Are you serious, you compare this kid to Messi???? And by the way if Messi has a weakness it is that if played physically he can be limited. Still a great player just not as effecitve. See games in CL against Chelsea and Inter.

Plus, Messi is protected because he does not have to keep the ball, he has teamates readily available, for passes. Not exactly what we have here. Plus Messi is relatively strong despite his height.

Pachuco
03-22-2011, 02:40 PM

I think you need to check wikipedia. Messi towers over this kid. Messi is a giant when standing next to Plata.

ManUtd4ever
I have Plata on my TFC roster for FIFA 11 on PS3 and he's great as a late game sub on the wings...:D

BeerBaron95
^ Are you serious, you compare this kid to Messi???? And by the way if Messi has a weakness it is that if played physically he can be limited. Still a great player just not as effecitve. See games in CL against Chelsea and Inter.

Plus, Messi is protected because he does not have to keep the ball, he has teamates readily available, for passes. Not exactly what we have here. Plus Messi is relatively strong despite his height.

plus, he's MESSI

Plata is most definitely not

trane
03-22-2011, 02:41 PM
I think you need to check wikipedia. Messi towers over this kid. Messi is a giant when standing next to Plata.

Thanks, I was just about to check that. I did not think Messi was that short.

Plus as I said this kid is no Messi and we are no Barca.

trane
03-22-2011, 02:42 PM
plus, he's MESSI

Plata is most definitely not

Exactly. Best point.

BeerBaron95
03-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Exactly. Best point.

co-signed

trane
03-22-2011, 02:45 PM
^ahhahhah.

Pachuco
03-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Exactly. Best point.

Messi is short relative to soccer players (which of course doesn't say much for Messi's height). Plata is a midgit relative to Messi :)

Some sites have Plata at 5-2 but I know for a fact that during the combine they were saying he's 5-0. Messi is 5-7. We are talking about half a foot give or take.

BTW - I'd like to see him play. But I think it's valid to be concerned with his size.

McBrace
03-22-2011, 02:55 PM
I agree as much as his size is a concern, bring him on as a sub and lets see what the little guy has to offer in a real game.

trane
03-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Pachuco,

I would like to see him play as well, and if he has good speed he could be usefull playing wide. And who knows he could be stronger on the ball then one would suspect.

jloome
03-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Pachuco,

I would like to see him play as well, and if he has good speed he could be usefull playing wide. And who knows he could be stronger on the ball then one would suspect.

I'd just point out that, physically speaking, you're better as a 5'0 attacker going up against 6'0-plus defenders than someone who's 5'7.

Either are going to lose the strength battle very quickly most of the time, so that's no advantage.

But the 5'0 guy will have an easier time avoiding the challenge in the first place.

brad
03-22-2011, 03:16 PM
He is not on the roster on the web site - is he actually signed?

TFCDP
03-22-2011, 03:22 PM
He looked good in preseason... I hope he ends up being part of the team.

Also, just heard on the fan that Gordon is now with the team.

trane
03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
I'd just point out that, physically speaking, you're better as a 5'0 attacker going up against 6'0-plus defenders than someone who's 5'7.

Either are going to lose the strength battle very quickly most of the time, so that's no advantage.

But the 5'0 guy will have an easier time avoiding the challenge in the first place.

I would agree with that. But I was thinking more in terms of play in tight spaces, as the 18 yard box is liable to get, and were you would hope he would be playing at times as a foward. He would have a hard time making space for himslef. UNLESS he has a goot strengh/weight to hieght ratio.

But playing in space, speed can cure alot of size deficiencies.

Red CB Toronto
03-22-2011, 03:48 PM
He has a contract because he was loaned to the MLS by his club Ecuador. The league placed him as one of five international players in the Supper Draft and TFC selected him. Now I am not sure if actually has to sign anything regarding the MLS or not.

jloome
03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
I would agree with that. But I was thinking more in terms of play in tight spaces, as the 18 yard box is liable to get, and were you would hope he would be playing at times as a foward. He would have a hard time making space for himslef. UNLESS he has a goot strengh/weight to hieght ratio.

But playing in space, speed can cure alot of size deficiencies.

True. I think he'd draw a lot of calls too, though, because it's hard to get the ball out of his feet cleanly. He's a zany little dribbler.

noochie
03-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Look at the Teibert kid from that other Canadian team. He looked pretty comfortable on Sat. He is 5' 7" though... so a lot more Messi-like.

trane
03-22-2011, 03:59 PM
True. I think he'd draw a lot of calls too, though, because it's hard to get the ball out of his feet cleanly. He's a zany little dribbler.

Abusolutley.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-22-2011, 08:56 PM

Agreed +1

rocker
03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Plata's gonna run between players' legs.

TFCRegina
03-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Quite frankly, Plata isn't going to add much at this club if he's added.

We need defenders. Our attack looked good last game, our defense is a fucking disaster.

Why not talk about about Chris Hunter or someone?

[NBF]
03-23-2011, 12:22 AM
I thought roster size was limited to 7 international spots. Therefore we dont have the room to sign either Burgos Jr. or Plata.

carefree_cfc
03-23-2011, 12:22 AM
^ Are you serious, you compare this kid to Messi????

I hate it when people have reactions like this....

Milky
03-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Give Plata some hormones and he'll be fine. ;)

Obviously you can't compare Plata directly with Messi, but then again you can't compare anyone directly to Messi. It was just an extreme example I used to make the point that height shouldn't be as big of an issue as we often think it should. Height can help, of course, depending on your position, but with Plata I would be happy if he's got some skill on the ball and can put in a good cross. Height has nothing to do with either of those qualities.

BayernTFC
03-23-2011, 07:31 AM
;1253048']I thought roster size was limited to 7 international spots. Therefore we dont have the room to sign either Burgos Jr. or Plata.
Apparently Burgos has already signed with TFC:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=27173

He's just waiting for the ITC. Each MLS team starts with 8 international roster spots, but those spots can be traded:

Domestic/International:

In 2011, a total of 144 international slots are divided among the 18 clubs. Each club began with eight international slots, which are tradable. There is no limit on the number of international slots on each club’s roster.
The remaining roster slots must belong to domestic players. For clubs based in the United States, a domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (green card holder) or the holder of other special status (e.g., refugee or asylum status).

The two MLS clubs based in Canada – Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC – began with eight international slots, but their domestic slots may be filled with either Canadian or U.S. domestic players.
MLS clubs based in Canada are required to have a minimum of three Canadian domestic players on their rosters.
Players with the legal right to work in Canada are considered Canadian domestic players (i.e., Canadian citizen, permanent resident, part of a protected class).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

poppamidnight
03-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Quite frankly, Plata isn't going to add much at this club if he's added.

We need defenders. Our attack looked good last game, our defense is a fucking disaster.

Why not talk about about Chris Hunter or someone?

:facepalm:

:picard:
Seriously bud - stop.... take a breath... think about what u just said...

Now - think back to what happened....

What was the formation??? Who is our best defensive player that was played out of position due to the stupidity of our new coach + got burned every time last game???

....Don't rush to judge our Defence based on a tactical error...

Let see how our D looks when Winter actually puts proper defensive pairings in there.....

McBrace
03-23-2011, 08:45 AM
I thought this was the Plata Thread...Why don't you boys take this to the tactics section.

Juanito
03-23-2011, 09:01 AM
There's no mention of him on the website .... weird.

Red CB Toronto
03-23-2011, 09:05 AM
I never saw junior burgos was training yesterday.

CBTFC
03-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Mentioned this in another thread, but would love to see Plata up front alongside Santos and Martina for at least a half.

TFCRegina
03-23-2011, 11:51 AM
:facepalm:

:picard:
Seriously bud - stop.... take a breath... think about what u just said...

Now - think back to what happened....

What was the formation??? Who is our best defensive player that was played out of position due to the stupidity of our new coach + got burned every time last game???

....Don't rush to judge our Defence based on a tactical error...

Let see how our D looks when Winter actually puts proper defensive pairings in there.....

Our defense based on a tactical error. Interesting.

So Dan "I make you feel happy but I'm not good" Gargan was fucking fantastic at right back? And who would we have played at LB that would have been decent? Because quite frankly I can't name anybody.

flamehawk
03-23-2011, 03:50 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2892

Was Plata in the squad photo?

dantdot
03-23-2011, 03:58 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2892

Was Plata in the squad photo?

Looks like he is. Bottom row, second from the right.

Red CB Toronto
03-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Yes that is Joao in the photo.

Pachuco
03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Was just about to post the picture. It's definately him bottom row second from the right.

ag futbol
03-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Our defense based on a tactical error. Interesting.

So Dan "I make you feel happy but I'm not good" Gargan was fucking fantastic at right back? And who would we have played at LB that would have been decent? Because quite frankly I can't name anybody.
While I agree your assessment of our defense but I think Plata is a depth signing.

Throw him on at around the 60th minute mark and he gets to run with tired defenders, he'll cause problems. and most likely be a huge upgrade from Makubuya who is only one year younger but nowhere near as polished.