PDA

View Full Version : Are we looking to fill the right positions?

Roogsy
03-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Getting away from the poor showing in Vancouver, as well as the continuing DeRo drama, I have been wondering if this club is looking to fill the right spots?

We're rumoured to be bringing in another forward. In the system Winter wants to play, you have to be able to finish, I don't disagree. Bringing someone with some polish and experience in this area is not a bad thing, but is it what Toronto most desperately needs?

And this coming from someone who has been screaming for a DP striker since year 1!

However, looking at the struggles of the last TWO seasons, and then looking at this team in the pre-season and now finally looking at the game on Saturday, it is painfully obvious to me that we need to mend our backline.

1) We have needed a winger forever. Even more imperative now that Winter is employing a more forward style than Preki.

2) As much as we love them, Attakora and Cann are average players. They will likely never be MLS All Stars or Best XI. However, complemented with quality fullbacks, I think this tandem is good enough (although not great). Gargan and Harden are not starters, at least not on a quality roster.

We have a DP holding mid in JDG. We might as well use him if we're going to pay him that much. Backing him up with a right and left back that will provide him with outlets will immediately pay dividends in forward movement no? Am I wrong? Is this too simplistic?

Therefore, as it stands now, my official position is that before we bring in any other players for positions on the pitch, we need to see TFC management sign at least one, ideally two top quality fullbacks. Our academy does not have this. Our bench does not currently have this.

We need them.

Thoughts? Are there other positions we need with more urgency?

Shakes McQueen
03-20-2011, 10:45 PM
I agree, and it was made painfully clear yesterday. I'm fine with signing a forward, because we do need one, but they better be working double time to shore up our backline. Guys like Harden can't be getting regular minutes this season.

- Scott

werewolf
03-20-2011, 10:52 PM
I disagree on Attakora's potential, he is still only 21, around when most MLS players are drafted and he already has 2 years experience. But I guess thats not really the point of the thread.

It's tough to tell what exactly we need because we are still stuck in pre-season.

Fullback(s) are the obvious gap given what we saw on Saturday. A few more matches until we can know for sure, though a superstar striker wouldn't hurt, Santos and DeRo could be a great combination.

Shakes McQueen
03-20-2011, 10:53 PM
I think Attakora can be a good MLS starter, but I'm not completely sold on Cann yet.

- Scott

brad
03-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Attakora needs to be paired with a strong, experienced center back to learn from and get direction on the pitch from.

Agree we need fullbacks.

TFCDP
03-20-2011, 11:02 PM
I think Yourassowsky is going to be a good fit at LB... We will see I guess... Are they planning on giving Omphroy a chance at RB? We need a proper DP striker first and foremost.

Jeffro
03-20-2011, 11:02 PM
The biggest hole in our lineup yesterday was Sturgis. Not sure what he thought he was supposed to be doing yesterday, because he was completely lost. Was he supposed to be our DM?

TFCDP
03-20-2011, 11:25 PM
^Agree, as bad as the back 4 was I at times felt for them because it seemed they didn't have options to move forward.. I remember cursing Sturgis a couple of times thinking .. where the eff is he.. We need JDG more than ever.

ag futbol
03-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Yeah those guys who were supposed to be shielding the backline completely failed.

They also didn't link play between the defenders and the forwards. I think Maicon received more passes from the backline than Sturgis did. Not because they hoofed it up to him, but because he actually made an effort to come back for the ball.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-21-2011, 05:28 AM
I think Yourassowsky is going to be a good fit at LB... We will see I guess... Are they planning on giving Omphroy a chance at RB? We need a proper DP striker first and foremost.

yeah im kinda waiting for everyone to play their proper positions for a couple of games and then ill debate this. it could very well be the case tho.

Wull
03-21-2011, 06:28 AM
I think if we put two DMs in front of the back 4 for a while (not sure if that was supposed to happen on Saturday but it didn't) it will quickly see an end to the type of defending we got on Saturday night, then when we bring in more suitable players or they get more comfortable with the setup we can look at setting it back to one holding midfielder

dupont
03-21-2011, 09:18 AM
To my eyes, Gargan looked terrible all game. I definitely don't want him starting anymore.

Yohan
03-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Adriano for DP striker anyone? (or am I just being a shit stirrer) ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2011/03/adriano_struggling_to_find_sui.html

brad
03-21-2011, 09:27 AM
I think if we put two DMs in front of the back 4 for a while (not sure if that was supposed to happen on Saturday but it didn't) it will quickly see an end to the type of defending we got on Saturday night, then when we bring in more suitable players or they get more comfortable with the setup we can look at setting it back to one holding midfielder

Amen....

brad
03-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Adriano for DP striker anyone? (or am I just being a shit stirrer) ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2011/03/adriano_struggling_to_find_sui.html

No way, too many problems. A shame really, he was sooo good before the off field problems.

It actually scares me to think how effective he'd be as DP if he had things together. I actually can't think of another player at that level that would be a better fit for the MLS.

Wooster_TFC
03-21-2011, 09:29 AM
I think we can get away with 3 of the 4 in our current backline. To me, Attakora and Yourassowsky will be decent starters in this league, and I think you can then deal with one of Cann (assuming he ever gets moved back to his natural position) or Gargan in the starting lineup. So, either we need an experienced CB (which seems difficult to get?), or a RB.

As for the midfield, when they get healthy, I like the 3 of DeRo, Bouchiba, and JDG. I think we are fine there, with Sturgis, Cordon, Stinson, and potentially Zavarise and Peterson slotting in there. We don't need any more central midfielders in my mind.

As for the top three, Santos looked pretty damn good on Saturday, and Martina looks like he will excel given the chance, and the proper support. I think we need a left (or right) winger as a starter, and look for a striker DP when it comes in at half cost if Santos isn't panning out, but the way he played on Saturday means he should at least get a chance. I actually wouldn't mind a starting wingers of Zavarise and Martina for now.

P-NUTZ
03-21-2011, 10:55 AM
I suggest we need more help in the middle.

Cann on the outside and attakora on the inside is plain backwards to me.
if we mix in some of the other talent back there and play people in thier stronger spots, the backline can be saved, and it should not take too long to sort out their man/zone or trap coverage strategy issues.

i worry more about the middle. peterson is rubbish and not a starter. in a 4 - 3 - 3 the mids REALLY HAVE TO TRACK BACK all the time in order to help the D on opposition counter attacks and picking up the extra men. dero is lazy and hangs forward, jdg is slow as shit and will get caught if he cheats too far up, so we need stronger super subs/ or starters in the middle IMO to give us the legs and endurance to survive this aggressive formation.

IMO, the middle three have the hardest job in this formation and should be your strongest players both mentally/physically.

Pachuco
03-21-2011, 11:05 AM
I think we can get away with 3 of the 4 in our current backline. To me, Attakora and Yourassowsky will be decent starters in this league, and I think you can then deal with one of Cann (assuming he ever gets moved back to his natural position) or Gargan in the starting lineup. So, either we need an experienced CB (which seems difficult to get?), or a RB.

As for the midfield, when they get healthy, I like the 3 of DeRo, Bouchiba, and JDG. I think we are fine there, with Sturgis, Cordon, Stinson, and potentially Zavarise and Peterson slotting in there. We don't need any more central midfielders in my mind.

As for the top three, Santos looked pretty damn good on Saturday, and Martina looks like he will excel given the chance, and the proper support. I think we need a left (or right) winger as a starter, and look for a striker DP when it comes in at half cost if Santos isn't panning out, but the way he played on Saturday means he should at least get a chance. I actually wouldn't mind a starting wingers of Zavarise and Martina for now.

On the subject of keeping 3 out of the 4 defenders. It puzzles me that Winter didn't play Youra as a left back. Never mind the fact he didn't start there, but the fact he brough him on as a midfielder after the disaster that was happening with our defense. What's worse is Youra was playing LB in preseason, so this move makes no sense.

It does make me wonder though whether Winter even trusts Youra back there. If he doesn't, we are looking for two fullbacks as Roogsy says. If he does, we better see him there next game so we can get a better handle on whether he'll be a good fit for the season. It took me one game to figure out Hscanovic wasn't the full back we were looking for. I think one game is enough to see how desperate the situation is at the back.

We also have the same problem on the right wing. I thoroughly enjoyed the addition of Martina on the left wing and I think he'll be a solid starter for us this season. But the right wing is in big trouble. You may be able to reshuffle a bit there (like putting Zavarise there to start the game) but no matter what I believe we are short 1 winger.

In the middle of the park, I personally think Sturgis is good enough to play there. But not on his own. Partnered with JDG it may not be such a bad thing. It isn't optimal, but it doesn't need to be fixed as badly as the other positions do. I watched Sturgis play with Alonso in Seattle and they really had a solid understanding of how to complement each other. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

P-NUTZ
03-21-2011, 11:11 AM
put martina, santos and dero up front since dero will play like hes a forward anyway.

middle then needs most work - and lots of legs to help JDG + the front and back lines.

gcolacci
03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
On the subject of keeping 3 out of the 4 defenders. It puzzles me that Winter didn't play Youra as a left back. Never mind the fact he didn't start there, but the fact he brough him on as a midfielder after the disaster that was happening with our defense. What's worse is Youra was playing LB in preseason, so this move makes no sense.

Spoke to a friend about this, and he pointed out that Youra may be the best player for that position but may be a liability when it comes to getting cards, last presesason game he was playing well then BANG red Card. winter may want to work with him more before he plays him in that spot.

Just a thought.

TFCRegina
03-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Biggest problem is at LB, second biggest problem is at RB. We have serious problems on the D.

I /completely/ agree with your assessment of the oft-hyped defensive pairing of Attakora and Cann.

Stouffville_RPB
03-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Fullbacks are definitely needed, I was very puzzled that Cann was played at LB. Nick Garcia V 2.0?

I am not giving up on Nana. He has the athletic ability and hopefully Winter can fine tune his skills. Aside from that he is only 21 and will grow with the rest of the squad.

I have never been sold on Harden or Gargan. Harden seems to be a bit player and should be nothing more than a #4 CB. Gargan's versatility is the only reason that he is on the roster. He's not a stand out player but he will work his ass off no matter where you put him and that is worth something.

The defence needs to be solid. I'm curious as to why Winter made the defensive lineup decisions that he did.

Fort York Redcoat
03-21-2011, 11:19 AM

It does make me wonder though whether Winter even trusts Youra back there. If he doesn't, we are looking for two fullbacks as Roogsy says. If he does, we better see him there next game so we can get a better handle on whether he'll be a good fit for the season. It took me one game to figure out Hscanovic wasn't the full back we were looking for. I think one game is enough to see how desperate the situation is at the back.

We also have the same problem on the right wing. I thoroughly enjoyed the addition of Martina on the left wing and I think he'll be a solid starter for us this season. But the right wing is in big trouble. You may be able to reshuffle a bit there (like putting Zavarise there to start the game) but no matter what I believe we are short 1 winger.

In the middle of the park, I personally think Sturgis is good enough to play there. But not on his own. Partnered with JDG it may not be such a bad thing. It isn't optimal, but it doesn't need to be fixed as badly as the other positions do. I watched Sturgis play with Alonso in Seattle and they really had a solid understanding of how to complement each other. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Good calls P.

In the post-match against Charleston Winter was very hesitant to comment on the "new guy" and was certainly not complimentary on his performance at LB. I can only assume that's why he was subbed in the way he was and why Cann was out of position. I'd never like to see Cann play there again, please. It was a far cry from last year's growing confidence in the pairing of Cann and Nana.

And I remember in the draft this year the MLSers commented on the future role for Sturgis with JDG. It couldn't hurt. His service up the pitch was pretty well non-existent.

UltraFootyKWC
03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
To my eyes, Gargan looked terrible all game. I definitely don't want him starting anymore.

I agree. For me Gargan was completely out to lunch on two of the four goals. I don't recall him being that terrible last year. Hopefully it was just a bad day at the office for him.

We had absolutely no width at all, so I would have to say that wingers/fullbacks that can actually run the flanks are our biggest priority right now.

Stouffville_RPB
03-21-2011, 11:25 AM
I agree. For me Gargan was completely out to lunch on two of the four goals. I don't recall him being that terrible last year. Hopefully it was just a bad day at the office for him.

We had absolutely no width at all, so I would have to say that wingers/fullbacks that can actually run the flanks are our biggest priority right now.

I thought Martina and Soolsma were alright. Getting the ball wide to them wasn't a problem I think that supporting them on the flanks was a bigger issue. It seemed as though once they got it they were on their own.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-21-2011, 11:27 AM
as pointed out several other places dont expect Cann to start outside of CB in the future, i am concerned we are still in need of some fullbacks but ill reserve judgement until ive seen Omphroy and Yourassowsky start

Fort York Redcoat
03-21-2011, 11:32 AM
I thought Martina and Soolsma were alright. Getting the ball wide to them wasn't a problem I think that supporting them on the flanks was a bigger issue. It seemed as though once they got it they were on their own.

Agree on Soolsma but right now Martina is more speed than nonce. Big props to him though on his decision-making this last game. He frustrated the hell out of me vs Charleston with his running to the corner and not having a cross in him left. This last game if he was double-teamed(kudos for drawing an extra man) instead of getting boxed in he passed it back down the line for more options and better targets cross field.

David_Oliveira
03-21-2011, 11:33 AM
I take the game on Saturday with a grain of salt. As with anything in life, it takes a while to assimilate with something new. Most of these players have played old school dump and chase. We have a new explosiveness attacking forward (seen on both our goals, which came from fast breaks).

Our defense was a bit suspect. Cann out of position didn't work. Gargan was alittle out of his element but we have seen that he does a formidable job when match fit.

Midfield: Sturgis looked bad. I think with JDG out there dictating play it would have been different. We cannot rush JDG in (does anyone know when he is supposed to come back?).

Strikers: best in show, albeit not the greatest show. Santos will light it up. He played a really good game. We might be looking for a RW but not a big need.

Sure some DPs would help. I don't think that people realize how close we are to a contender right now. We were looking to do the right thing but just couldn't get that last step right.

I agree that Defense was our downfall. All that passing back to the goalie was starting to piss me off. That was a result of the mid not being in open space as much as they should.

As for DPs, get a good RW and a CB and we'll be a winner.

------------------------Frei----------------------
Omophroy---Attakora--- DP ---Yourassofsky-
---------------------DeGuzman-----------------
---------DeRosario------------Zavarise--------
--- DP ---------------------------------Soolsma-
-----------------------Santos--------------------

BENCH:
Kocic
Cann/Doneil Henry
Gargan
Sturgis
Martina
Gordon/Makubuya

trane
03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Attakora is good, but I am not sure he can grow further in this league. He may need to move on to achieve his potential.

P-NUTZ
03-21-2011, 11:42 AM
i would like to add that last year the D was fairly reliable, partly a preki mandate but also because 4 mids were commanded to support the D.

the D themselves - generally - should at least be as good as last year.

again i feel the biggest twist to resolve in this new formation is the manning and maintaining the strength, calm, persistence and endurance of middle during each game.

game in and game out.

Roogsy
03-21-2011, 11:45 AM
i would like to add that last year the D was fairly reliable, partly a preki mandate but also because 4 mids were commanded to support the D.

again i feel the biggest twist to resolve in this new formation is the manning and maintaining the strength, calm, persistence and endurance of middle during each game.

game in and game out.

I have to disagree because your statements are somewhat contradictory. I think most people now realize our D was so stingy last year because you didn't have for defenders, you had 6-7. It's easy to look good when there are two of you closing down on an attacking player than just one. Left with more defensive responsibilities at the end of last year after Preki left, we should have had an inkling that they would not be able to sustain attacking pressure this year either. And the first game has proven it. Let's hope adjustments are made to compensate.

But at the end of the day, the back four are simply not good enough. And the necessary adjustments is new players with a higher quality.

fordsy
03-21-2011, 11:51 AM
i miss Wynne! Really wish we hadnt gotten rid of him. But We Do need a solid striker:drinking:

TFCRegina
03-21-2011, 11:52 AM
I have to disagree because your statements are somewhat contradictory. I think most people now realize our D was so stingy last year because you didn't have for defenders, you had 6-7. It's easy to look good when there are two of you closing down on an attacking player than just one. Left with more defensive responsibilities at the end of last year after Preki left, we should have had an inkling that they would not be able to sustain attacking pressure this year either. And the first game has proven it. Let's hope adjustments are made to compensate.

But at the end of the day, the back four are simply not good enough. And the necessary adjustments is new players with a higher quality.

Starting with a new LB, followed by a RB.

Preki's system masked the problems at this club. Dasovic tried opening the game up late in the season, and we got burned at the back.

Roogsy
03-21-2011, 11:54 AM
i miss Wynne! Really wish we hadnt gotten rid of him. But We Do need a solid striker:drinking:

We essentially gave Wynne away for free. The trade brought in Labrocca who is now gone and for Labrocca we received Gordon who will likely not start many games this year...whenever he shows up that is.

Yohan
03-21-2011, 12:11 PM
We essentially gave Wynne away for free. The trade brought in Labrocca who is now gone and for Labrocca we received Gordon who will likely not start many games this year...whenever he shows up that is.
to be fair nobody knew that Wynne would make a decent CB at Colorado. props to Gary Smith for identifying him that

but at the time of the trade, a lot of us thought Wynne was more of a defensive liability than his worth at RB. hindsight

Ossington Mental Youth
03-21-2011, 12:12 PM
i dont think Wynne would have added anything in the FB positions as he was regularly making up for technique wiht a push or getting a handball.

P-NUTZ
03-21-2011, 12:20 PM

i would welcome upgrades at D for sure - maybe i feel the priority in this 433 system is a stronger mid - that would in turn even help a D like ours.

Yohan
03-21-2011, 12:26 PM
i would welcome upgrades at D for sure - maybe i feel the priority in this 433 system is a stronger mid - that would in turn even help a D like ours.
I'm advocating a Pirlo type CM playmaker who can work in tandem with JDG. is a good passer, but also responsible defensively

trane
03-21-2011, 12:31 PM
^ JDG has plaued like a Pirlo like CM playmaker for the national team.

I am still not sold on Wynne as a CB, the fact that he has to stay at home seem to make him less of a liability, BUT he was mister penalty, and he is not particullalry physical, in person he does not look 5-9. But a great guy, and a guy that I could see learning under the right coaching.

Yohan
03-21-2011, 12:37 PM
^ JDG has plaued like a Pirlo like CM playmaker for the national team.
well, we've seen JDG try to play like a playmaker in TFC too... with not so good results. I think JDG is better utilized as the DM who can make first pass from midfield, with the CM as link man between midfield to wing/DeRo/Santos up front.

I am still not sold on Wynne as a CB, the fact that he has to stay at home seem to make him less of a liability, BUT he was mister penalty, and he is not particullalry physical, in person he does not look 5-9. But a great guy, and a guy that I could see learning under the right coaching.
he's learned a lot of discipline under Gary Smith. I was impressed with his positioning (which was ok, but helluva a lot better than his time at TFC) and using his speed to prevent breakouts

maninb
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Sorry but anyone thinking Soolsma is anywhere near a decent player needs their heads examined....he's not even bench material...also REMEMBER DeGuz IS NOT a very good tackler...we need to pair him with a STRONG central midfielder who can bust up plays and allow DeGuz to distribute the ball

ManUtd4ever
03-21-2011, 12:47 PM
I agree with the OP. It was evident yesterday that TFC's greatest area of weakness is at both fullback positions. At the moment, given our adequate depth at midfield and among the forwards, the limited salary cap space should be utilized to upgrade the backline. While I believe that Yourassowsky, Morgan, and Omphroy are capable of being more reliable than Harden and Gargan, they are not proven in this league.

Nuvinho
03-21-2011, 12:52 PM
My 2 cents:

1. wingbacks - don't know how these guys will play, since we haven't seen much, but I think that Omphroy fits Winter's system. He also seems to like Yourassssssky.

2.centrebacks - I would like to see Nana paired up with a strong CB.....Cann is not that. Look at Vancouver, DeMerit paired with any slob they had looked better than our two. We need a shutdown guy, that is opposing to other forwards who come into the box.

3.midfield - i think when JDG comes back, it should be our strongest position. JDG, Bouch, and DeRo running the midfield would be good.

4.wingers - good for now, still have to play the wait and see game with them.

5.strikers - we need a target striker, one who can bring the ball down and hold it up for the runs of DeRo and the wingers. Santos is good but we need a proven goal scorer or someone who can create space for others to score.

J .
03-21-2011, 12:52 PM
We need wingers and a coach that doesnt leave our back line exposed.

Fort York Redcoat
03-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Sorry but anyone thinking Soolsma is anywhere near a decent player needs their heads examined....he's not even bench material...also REMEMBER DeGuz IS NOT a very good tackler...we need to pair him with a STRONG central midfielder who can bust up plays and allow DeGuz to distribute the ball

Expand on Soolsma. Are you going on anything beyond what we've seen so far?

BayernTFC
03-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Spoke to a friend about this, and he pointed out that Youra may be the best player for that position but may be a liability when it comes to getting cards, last presesason game he was playing well then BANG red Card. winter may want to work with him more before he plays him in that spot.

Just a thought.
One would hope it was about a manager trying to shield a new player. The last thing TFC needs is a continuation of what transpired last season.

BayernTFC
03-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Biggest problem is at LB, second biggest problem is at RB. We have serious problems on the D.

I /completely/ agree with your assessment of the oft-hyped defensive pairing of Attakora and Cann.
Yep. It's important to assess what you really have and not buy into any overselling.

brad
03-21-2011, 01:59 PM

game in and game out.

Our defense was bad last year. Frei saved us embarrassment on far too many occasions.

DangerRed
03-21-2011, 02:01 PM
It's also frustrating how much junk we've had at midfield in our short history. Why can't we sign a #10-type guy like this (no, he isn't a DP)? Edit: he also played for Ajax!

Sounders FC Signs Argentine Midfielder Mauro Rosales

RENTON, WASH. -Seattle Sounders FC have signed Argentine midfielder Mauro Rosales, it was announced today. Per Major League Soccer and club policy, terms were not disclosed.

Rosales, 30, has been capped 10 times (one goal) by Argentina and was a member of the gold-medal winning team at the 2004 Olympic Games, the 2001 FIFA U20 World Cup and the 2004 Copa America runners-up. He played the past four years for Buenos Aires giants River Plate.

“Mauro brings a lot of experience to our team,” said Sigi Schmid, Sounders FC coach. “He’s a playmaking type of midfielder with good quickness and clever passing. We’re excited to have him join our team.”

Rosales scored 39 goals in 234 league matches for Newell’s Old Boys, Ajax and River Plate.

“I am very excited to start playing for the Sounders,” said Rosales. “This is a great opportunity, to play in this league and for one of the biggest teams in the USA. I’m especially happy to be joining such fantastic players and staff and such a great organization.”

Rosales has played nearly 400 matches over all competitions in South America and Europe. He was a member of two Ajax teams which twice won the Dutch Cup and Dutch Super Cup. Rosales played for River Plate when Los Millonarios claimed the 2008 Argentine Clausura.

He joined Sounders FC in late February during the club’s preseason training in Florida.

Sounders FC plays the New York Red Bulls on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. PT at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J.

Transaction: Seattle Sounders FC (MLS) – Signed MF Mauro Rosales

Mauro Rosales
Position: Midfielder
Jersey Number: 10
Height: 5-8
Weight: 160
Birthdate: 2/24/1981
Place of Birth: Villa Maria, Cordoba, Argentina
Hometown (Citizenship): Villa Maria, Cordoba, Argentina (Argentina)
Pronunciation: MOU-ro Roh-SAH-les
Last Club: River Plate (2007-10)
Previous Clubs (chronological): Newell’s Old Boys (1999-04), Ajax (2004-07)

brad
03-21-2011, 02:01 PM

4-3-3 needs fullbacks supporting the attack. It's a critical part of the system and we don't have them (well, maybe Yourassowsky - don't know yet).

BayernTFC
03-21-2011, 02:03 PM

I know many TFC supporters love Gargan, but he's just not good. Preki's system couldn't even mask his deficiencies. He should only be used as emergency cover at the back when injuries arise. Gargan is not meant for regular play in the top tier of NA soccer.

We had the wingbacks capable of spreading our width last year. Yourassowsky has so far shown himself to be a better performer than Hscanovics. Part of the problem last year was that our central defense and midfield wasn't strong enough to support that type of play. Nothing appears to have changed. TFC wasn't having a problem advancing the ball along the wings against Vancouver Saturday. It only gets progressively harder to use the wings during a game when a team shows that they are incapable of using the centre of the pitch.

BayernTFC
03-21-2011, 02:10 PM
We need wingers and a coach that doesnt leave our back line exposed.
No. We need players capable of doing what is asked of them. The Preki coached team with the same defenders in his lineup (3 of whom he is responsible for bringing to this club) had trouble in the box and couldn't defend set pieces either.

Watching play from last year, it was clear which defenders weren't marking their man, supporting their teammates, blocking out opposing players, blocking shots, clearing attempts and fighting for balls in the air.

BayernTFC
03-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Don't you know? Anytime he touched the ball, it didn't end with a scoring chance or the ball squarely in the back of the net. I guess everyone preferred the Makabuya experiment in the second half of that game? If you are unwilling to give new players a chance to adjust, then you're in for a world of disappointment.

maninb
03-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Just what I've seen in his play so far (Saturday and a few preseason agmes)....and he's never played in a high level league....IMO if you're 24 years old and still playing in the minors, you haven't got much a career ahead of you...If he wasn't Dutch he never have got a trial with us...

BayernTFC
03-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Our defense was bad last year. Frei saved us embarrassment on far too many occasions.
At times yes. When the defense was at its worst, it was mostly due to lack of ability and roster choices by the coach. Shhhhhhhh. Don't give Frei too much credit. All success at the back is entirely because of team performance and coaching ingenuity. More Preki magic.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-21-2011, 02:42 PM
as well as you might as well cut all NCAA players for the same crime

jloome
03-21-2011, 04:34 PM
I thought Soolsma was all right. By far not the worst performer on our side, even among our attackers.

Our problems are mostly defensive. Gargan, Sturgis and Harden all read the play terribly on Saturday. The back post was left open constantly and for Sturgis to let Terry Dunfield, not the most technically adept player, to creep by him into the box was aggregious.

We need more strength across the back line, but we also need a defensive midfielder with distribution skills. Both of the wide/inside midfielders have to be able to close ground quickly and distribute quickly.