PDA

View Full Version : Jason DeVos Stinker

canadian_bhoy
03-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Wow. Just watched the game in 6 and am annoyed enough by Devos' performance calling the match yesterday that I have to come on here and rant.

Not only was he yammering on about something during not one, but two of the goals in the match - every word that comes out of his mouth is negative.

Vancouver scores off a corner. I would expect to hear something like.
"it's a great play from vancouver, ball comes swinging in nicely and the striker gets a glance at it - you'd hope that Toronto could clear it at this point but if falls to the player and he makes no mistake about it, slotting it past Frei - 3-1 Vancouver and Trootno FC are in shambles".

Instead we get some long rant that doesn't even mention Vancouver (you know, the team that scored) - just blabbering on about how TFC should have done this and should have done that.

I'm so sick of hearing Devos and Forrest do colour - it's really really irritating. Fine, MLS sucks, we get it. We can't all compete with the top class competition to be had in Dundee. But your job as a colour man isn't to bore us to death with negative ramblings. And I would argue, it's not about giving a "I played so I know" appraisal of what happened. The colour guy is supposed (wait for it), bring some colour to the game - be entertaining, fun, interesting, insightful.

God. I mean Harry Neale was a drunk that rarely made sense, but at least he was entertaining.

O96sMp8TLCg

Notice how much more entertaining it is when it's not totally negative?
CR2Fd0Pv-HU

MG42
03-20-2011, 08:44 PM
^it was mentioned in another thread that Nigel Reed and Vic Rauter should have been TSN's choice, I think it would have been a great duo - now that I think of it it may have been you that suggested it lol.

canadian_bhoy
03-20-2011, 08:48 PM
^it was mentioned in another thread that Nigel Reed and Vic Rauter should have been TSN's choice, I think it would have been a great duo - now that I think of it it may have been you that suggested it lol.

LOL - I think you're right! Make the Final!!!!

Nigel is quite good. If Van is on CBC, he'll probably do all their games.

Surely there is a former CAnadian soccer player out there with at least a shred of enthusiasm/entertaining ability.

NBS
03-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Bring Rohan Ricketts back from Germany.

FluSH
03-20-2011, 10:08 PM
^^^
haha

I approve of this thread!

MarkoftheDrink
03-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Here here, I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

He needs to go I can't stand him, he has zero personality and almost seems anti-TFC at times. On, I think, the third goal for VCWC, the one with the 4 on 0, he kept asking "why aren't they running back, why aren't they running back, Hassli out ran them all blah blah blah." When he should have been asking where the offside flag was. Or even just asking if it was but no not even a mention of offside. I mean fuck they were obviously playing a trap so if you've got players running at you they've got a bit of a head start. Then there was the late foul at the end of the game just outside the WC penalty area. Sure he touched the ball but he also destroyed the TFC player, but for DeVos? It's a good hard challenge. Fuck off. Do us all a favor and stick to being the Technical Director at the Oakville Soccer Club.

TFCDP
03-20-2011, 10:47 PM
I think part of his problem is that he is a TFC fan... He sometimes reacts the way I do in my living room to plays... I wasn't praising Vancouver, I was pissed at our players.. Thats my take... and yes, I know he should be a professional ... I'm not saying I'm a fan of his either cause I'm not.

Jeff s
03-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Really, De Vos out for Vic Rauter? That guy is the biggest idiot ever.

I personally like the new duo. I rather have a retired soccer player give out his opinions than freaking Vic Rauter.

ag futbol
03-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Nigel Reid? No thanks.

That guy is nothing but a barrel of cliches and adds no insight. Would struggle to name more than one player on any other team and frequently got the players names wrong on ours. Once you got past the accent, he's shit.

Did DeVos do that bad? really?

2mil4dero+santo
03-21-2011, 06:20 PM

He needs to go I can't stand him, he has zero personality and almost seems anti-TFC at times. On, I think, the third goal for VCWC, the one with the 4 on 0, he kept asking "why aren't they running back, why aren't they running back, Hassli out ran them all blah blah blah." When he should have been asking where the offside flag was. Or even just asking if it was but no not even a mention of offside. I mean fuck they were obviously playing a trap so if you've got players running at you they've got a bit of a head start. Then there was the late foul at the end of the game just outside the WC penalty area. Sure he touched the ball but he also destroyed the TFC player, but for DeVos? It's a good hard challenge. Fuck off. Do us all a favor and stick to being the Technical Director at the Oakville Soccer Club.

I couldn't agree more, I thought it was just me who can't stand listening to him. Also no mention about how the foul was IN the box...

2mil4dero+santo
03-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Nigel Reid? No thanks.

That guy is nothing but a barrel of cliches and adds no insight. Would struggle to name more than one player on any other team and frequently got the players names wrong on ours. Once you got past the accent, he's shit.

Did DeVos do that bad? really?

DeVos was almost as bad as Nigel Reed...

jloome
03-21-2011, 06:24 PM
I like Devos, like Reed, like Forrest and even like Luke Wileman. So boo hoo sucks to you, ya negative nellies.

2mil4dero+santo
03-21-2011, 06:27 PM
I like Devos, like Reed, like Forrest and even like Luke Wileman. So boo hoo sucks to you, ya negative nellies.

I like Luke and Forest is ok, other two - notsomuch

shaggingscot
03-21-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm so sick of hearing Devos and Forrest do colour - it's really really irritating. Fine, MLS sucks, we get it. We can't all compete with the top class competition to be had in Dundee.

:( and what did we ever do to you to deserve that shot? I assume that was sarcasm?

:D

Canada72
03-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Think these are better examples :)

Dpr8trzHuPM

mmjBTp2vmxs

poppamidnight
03-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Piss off'....

I'd take DeVos over Forrest + his goalkeeper homer-dom ANY DAY...

/end nonsense...

DichioTFC
03-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Forrest is by far the worst analyst in Canadian soccer, but I'll give De Vos a pass. He's not the best, but he's quality more often than not.

But the OP's point is totally valid, the analysts should be as objective as possible and limit their emotional involvement.

noochie
03-21-2011, 07:46 PM
I really enjoy the Wileman play calling. I sort of agree on DeVos though... I could take him or leave him. I think Danny Dichio should move to broadcasting and do the color.

Alixir
03-21-2011, 07:50 PM
I would like to lock DeVos and Forrest together in a room and let them hurl negativity at each other till one dies...the winner gets a job covering CSL games for Rogers.

jloome
03-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Forrest is by far the worst analyst in Canadian soccer, but I'll give De Vos a pass. He's not the best, but he's quality more often than not.

But the OP's point is totally valid, the analysts should be as objective as possible and limit their emotional involvement.

By definition, a point is valid when you've developed method to validate it and done so. Just saying it doesn't make it valid, because you first have to demonstrate the original complaint to be true.

Alixir
03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
By definition, a point is valid when you've developed method to validate it and done so. Just saying it doesn't make it valid, because you first have to demonstrate the original complaint to be true.you know what he means...no need for a dictionary verse,.

DichioTFC
03-21-2011, 08:00 PM
By definition, a point is valid when you've developed method to validate it and done so. Just saying it doesn't make it valid, because you first have to demonstrate the original complaint to be true.

Thanks professor.

http://prodigalthought.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/wrong.jpg?w=486&h=333

coachbruijns
03-21-2011, 08:05 PM

DeVos was right about no players running back. When you play a trap, you have to have someone running with the opposing striker to cover for the defenders in case they don't catch that striker offside.

coachbruijns
03-21-2011, 08:07 PM
But that foulf was definite;y not just a good hard challenge, that was a nasty foul and a nasty non-call.

MarkoftheDrink
03-21-2011, 08:51 PM

How ironic, lol. I like Wileman too btw, the rest? Meh.

DeVos was right about no players running back. When you play a trap, you have to have someone running with the opposing striker to cover for the defenders in case they don't catch that striker offside.

Very true but he wasn't talking about the midfield not tracking back he was complaining about the d-line. If he'd said "the trap failed and there should have been mids covering", then that would have been a decent bit of analysis. Or talk about what VC did right no need to pile on when TFC is obviously a work in progress and having a shit game on d.

TFCRegina
03-21-2011, 08:58 PM

I'll say it.

Craig Forrest is a fucking idiot. There we go, that's a trend. Maybe we can canvass for a few more opinions to develop an understanding of how many people think Craig Forrest is a disaster on tv.

De Vos is good enough to do the job. If Forrest never calls another game, I wouldn't shed a tear.

raj100
03-21-2011, 10:40 PM
is it just me or does craig forrest ALWAYS try to pronounce the players name as if hes a native of the country their from? and as a result totally botch the name?

GBV
03-22-2011, 06:20 AM
To me, de Vos is the worst of the bunch by miles.

rocker
03-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I had no complaints with the broadcast work by De Vos and Wileman, except that De Vos was yammering on when Wileman had to cut him off for De Ro's goal.

Wileman sounded even better than he did on GolTV. He stepped up his game.

canadian_bhoy
03-22-2011, 11:17 AM
:( and what did we ever do to you to deserve that shot? I assume that was sarcasm?

:D

Just taking the piss. I'd actually put united in as my second favorite spl club. If theres such a thing as a second favorite club.

Another note on devos. Santos scores one of the best goals ever in a Tfc shirt and it's practically ruined by devos rambling through it. Didn't help that it was 4-1, but serioulsly, devis needs to be more entertaining and less whimsy and holier than thou.

Whoop
03-22-2011, 11:22 AM
I miss the World Cup matches with only one guy in the booth.

DangerRed
03-22-2011, 11:23 AM

I believe it was Nigel Reed who once mistakenly referred to O'Brian White as Chad Barrett during a game. You goof something like that, I don't want to listen to you for two hours.

Pachuco
03-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Devos and Forrest are the worst color commentator's you can find in the entire game. I'll take a Turkish league commentator who I can't even understand over the crap these wanna be commentators spew. They are fine in the studio, they are terrible as commentators. Oh and Gerry Dobson should take a hike with those two. Thank god I don't have to listen to his crap this season.

ACSertL
03-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Ray....Hudson...?

:lol:

shaggingscot
03-22-2011, 01:00 PM
You've just got to live with what you get, it could be worse. Some of those American guys don't shut up at all.

Maybe we could get Scott Booth as our DP of broadcasting?

TFCRegina
03-22-2011, 01:01 PM
I believe it was Nigel Reed who once mistakenly referred to O'Brian White as Chad Barrett during a game. You goof something like that, I don't want to listen to you for two hours.

Probably had to do with their finishing skills.

Carts
03-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Probably had to do with their finishing skills.

LOL... Great line...!!!

2mil4dero+santo
03-22-2011, 01:23 PM
You've just got to live with what you get, it could be worse. Some of those American guys don't shut up at all.

Maybe we could get Scott Booth as our DP of broadcasting?

I will take those "american guys" over any one or our commentators except luke wileman. At least the americans know what they're talking about and offer some insight. I know I'm generalizing, but I don't get people's beef with the american commentators. Sure they say dumb things like "upper 90" and "offsides" with an "s", but at least they have interesting things to say as well.

Darlofletch
03-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Just taking the piss. I'd actually put united in as my second favorite spl club. If theres such a thing as a second favorite club.

Another note on devos. Santos scores one of the best goals ever in a Tfc shirt and it's practically ruined by devos rambling through it. Didn't help that it was 4-1, but serioulsly, devis needs to be more entertaining and less whimsy and holier than thou.

ah come on that's not really fair. frei had the ball and nothing was happening, it's not his fault the whole move happened in about 15 seconds. analysts talk over active play all the time, he can't help that tfc's just THAT lightning fast. If anything, blame wileman for not cutting him off when we were getting close.

I'm not impartial as I have a big fanboy cursh on de vos from his darlington days, but I think he does a good job as analyst, defending is his area of expertise, tfc was defending poorly, of course he's going to criticise. and demerit got the ball, it's fine to point that out.

shaggingscot
03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
I will take those "american guys" over any one or our commentators except luke wileman. At least the americans know what they're talking about and offer some insight. I know I'm generalizing, but I don't get people's beef with the american commentators. Sure they say dumb things like "upper 90" and "offsides" with an "s", but at least they have interesting things to say as well.

To each his own I suppose, I just don't like them. I find it's a North American thing, commentators tend to want to talk over the play. On the whole I'd prefer less talking.

The one man commentator matches are always the best.

ManUtd4ever
03-22-2011, 01:31 PM
God. I mean Harry Neale was a drunk that rarely made sense, but at least he was entertaining.

LMAO! Agreed, and now we're stuck with Glenn Healy...:facepalm:

2mil4dero+santo
03-22-2011, 01:34 PM
To each his own I suppose, I just don't like them. I find it's a North American thing, commentators tend to want to talk over the play. On the whole I'd prefer less talking.

The one man commentator matches are always the best.

I agree 1 man commentators are better, I just think there are several american commentators that are better than anyone we have in canada, by a mile. Our commentators take the worst from the american style (constant talking over plays), but don't have the expertise and insight. Andy Gray is still my favourite, do you think he would want a job over here lol...

DangerRed
03-22-2011, 01:38 PM

Bwahahaha. You're hilarious. Thank god this board is not supposed to be a forum for logical discourse, or else we'd be in trouble.