PDA

View Full Version : Man U to play MLS All-Star game again

Red CB Toronto
03-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I found this info in the Boston Globe, reports that as part of Man U's 2011 North American tour the team will once again play in the All-Star game, being at Red Bull Arena.

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2011/03/18/man_u_and_spain_have_foxborough_plans/

ManUtd4ever
03-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Sweet!

BS1327
03-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I thought maybe Henry would've lobbied for Arsenal or Barca with it in New York. Man U will be bringing their whole squad I'm assuming in a non-world cup/euro year, so it would still be good!

scooterTFC
03-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if the MLS allstars played a Mexican Primera allstar team. The US vs. Meixco national team rivalary woudl add some heat/passion to the situaion the the pride of rep'ing your league might result in the players actually working.

Roogsy
I am still bitter about West Ham being Toronto's "All Star" guests.

Fort York Redcoat
This midseason friendly is just a major inconvenience to people who care about the quality of play in the league more than a spotlight game for bandwagoneers.

TFCRegina
03-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Yawn.

James17930
03-18-2011, 11:44 AM
If true, they could actually sell out the Meadowlands for that . . . if it didn't have stupid Fieldturf.

nfitz
03-18-2011, 11:44 AM
I am still bitter about West Ham being Toronto's "All Star" guests.Could have been worse; the year before Toronto it was Celtic, and the year after it was Everton :)

And go back a 4-5 years and it was inter-divisional, the US team ... or Guadalajara!

werewolf
03-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Everton worse then West Ham? I don't know about that, not significantly better, but far from a huge drop-off...

Fort York Redcoat
03-18-2011, 11:49 AM
This is so unfortunate that this is a part of our league. They ask for complaints when they invite anyone not top level. Everyone knows who we're talking about. It's the reason they've gone with the same guest again.

nfitz
03-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Everton worse then West Ham? I don't know about that, not significantly better, but far from a huge drop-off...I always was told that using a smiley was useful in communicating humour to North Americans ... though I'm starting to think the problem is actually deeper.

ManUtd4ever
03-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Is it just me or was the atmosphere at last year's All Star Game in Houston electric?

This can only be good for the exposure of the league, especially with the event being held at the marquee venue in MLS.

werewolf
03-18-2011, 11:54 AM
I always was told that using a smiley was useful in communicating humour to North Americans ... though I'm starting to think the problem is actually deeper.

oh lol you had a point about Celtic though.

scooterTFC
03-18-2011, 12:09 PM
This midseason friendly is just a major inconvenience to people who care about the quality of play in the league more than a spotlight game for bandwagoneers.

That's a fairly euro-footy elitist atttitude. If the MLS is going to be successful its going to have to find some harmony between North American professional sports traditions and global football traditions.

Through work I've had the fortune of attending allstar weekends for NHL, MLB and NBA - they are really fun events to attend. The games aren't alwasy great but, as a fan the weekend is always fun. Sports are supposed to fun.

Fort York Redcoat
03-18-2011, 12:28 PM
That's a fairly euro-footy elitist atttitude. If the MLS is going to be successful its going to have to find some harmony between North American professional sports traditions and global football traditions.

Through work I've had the fortune of attending allstar weekends for NHL, MLB and NBA - they are really fun events to attend. The games aren't alwasy great but, as a fan the weekend is always fun. Sports are supposed to fun.

There is no other league that interrupts their league to reinforce their relevance by playing a more popular team. Lame. Those other NA sports take longer breaks and use their own league, not another foreign league (or in this case team) as a platform for popularity.

I know it's accepted over here by many. I'm saying it's trite and wish we didn't feel we needed it like a crutch.

That said, if you enjoy it go nuts. I believe you're in the majority.

brad
03-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Agreed. And all-star games (along with playoffs) are a cornerstone of North American sports.

I would bet the folks that don't want to see and All Star game (and I am one of them) are far and away in the minority.

noochie
03-18-2011, 12:31 PM
There is no other league that interrupts their league to reinforce their relevance by playing a more popular team. Lame. Those other NA sports take longer breaks and use their own league, not another foreign league (or in this case team) as a platform for popularity.

I know it's accepted over here by many. I'm saying it's trite and wish we didn't feel we needed it like a crutch.

That said, if you enjoy it go nuts. I believe you're in the majority.

I agree... this game needs to go. I would rather see another competitive match like the CCL or NCC in place of this.

noochie
03-18-2011, 12:32 PM
That said... I can't wait to see our bonafide all-star Alan Gordon elbow Vidic in the face. That should be awesome.

brad
03-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Is it just me or was the atmosphere at last year's All Star Game in Houston electric?

Wasn't a lot of that Mexican fans showing up to see Hernandez make his debut?

This can only be good for the exposure of the league, especially with the event being held at the marquee venue in MLS.

I'm not sure I agree. Having the best of the MLS get steamrolled by a vastly superior team isn't much of an advertisement. If anything, it reinforces to a lot of Euro-snobs how crap the quality of the league is.

If anything, it's a big cash grab for the league. They can make a lot of money off a game like that.

It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation to increases in MLS ticket sales afterwards.

mdc 77
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
All-star game is a waste of time in my opinion, even the NHL has recently debated the real need for it. If it went away people really wouldn't care that much, and I really doubt its effectiveness in attracting new fans to the league.

brad
03-18-2011, 12:52 PM
All-star game is a waste of time in my opinion, even the NHL has recently debated the real need for it. If it went away people really wouldn't care that much, and I really doubt its effectiveness in attracting new fans to the league.

It's a money maker.

Last year they sold 70,000 tickets priced between $35-$175. Assuming an average price of $100, that's $7,000,000 + profits from TV and concessions. Man Utd's appearance fee is $1,000,000 (from all accounts I've heard). Subtract other costs like venue rental, ect, and you still have a mint being made by the MLS.

nascarguy
03-18-2011, 12:54 PM
I heard the all star game is in new york and FCB is playing

Fort York Redcoat
03-18-2011, 12:57 PM
It's a money maker.

Last year they sold 70,000 tickets priced between $35-$175. Assuming an average price of $100, that's $7,000,000 + profits from TV and concessions. Man Utd's appearance fee is $1,000,000 (from all accounts I've heard). Subtract other costs like venue rental, ect, and you still have a mint being made by the MLS.

Yep. That's good but I'd love to know how many of those 70G tix are season ticket holders there to cheer on their all-star?

But hey any exposure is good exposure, right?

Technorgasm
03-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Yawn.

x1
complete garbage.
woudl love a south american team, or hell. . . a non-english team.

I hear Shakhtar are pretty cheap. . .

nascarguy
03-18-2011, 01:16 PM
maybe the all star game should be to show off there skillss

brad
03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Yep. That's good but I'd love to know how many of those 70G tix are season ticket holders there to cheer on their all-star?

How many season tix do the Dynamo have? Even at 10k, that is still a very profitable affair.

Brooker
03-18-2011, 03:32 PM
People watch the allstar game?

cmonyoureds
03-29-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm not sure if this is anywhere else, but the "announcement" of ManU coming for the all star game again is a pretty big one, no?

I know there's a lot of different opinions on the validity of even having an all star game, and probably even more opinions on this particular opponent, but surely the exposure the league is getting can only be a good thing?

Thoughts?

Blowing Bubbles
03-29-2011, 09:59 PM
meh it was a bigger deal last year imo ...... 80,000 ppl in Houston and Chicarito suiting up for Man U to add to the storyline.

brad
03-29-2011, 10:10 PM
meh it was a bigger deal last year imo ...... 80,000 ppl in Houston and Chicarito suiting up for Man U to add to the storyline.

Not from a PR perspective. This year the full squad will come. Rooney in particular - if he's still with United.

werewolf
03-29-2011, 10:14 PM
merged, as its now confirmed.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6265694/manchester-united-again-play-mls-all-star-game

torontocelt
03-30-2011, 06:30 AM
oh lol you had a point about Celtic though.

You guys are dreaming if you think either Everton or West Ham are bigger or more successful clubs than Celtic.

Fort York Redcoat
03-30-2011, 06:57 AM
You guys are dreaming if you think either Everton or West Ham are bigger or more successful clubs than Celtic.

And none of them close to Man United...

I'm glad for the few fans over here that follow those second or third tier teams (in popularity-don't bother getting in a snit about it.) but the list of teams that people approve of regardless their team preference are few.

Still won't get me to an all-star game.

torontocelt
03-30-2011, 08:01 AM
And none of them close to Man United...

I'm glad for the few fans over here that follow those second or third tier teams (in popularity-don't bother getting in a snit about it.) but the list of teams that people approve of regardless their team preference are few.

Still won't get me to an all-star game.

Not getting in a snit about it but man u is the biggest club in the world, there is obviously not many like them. As for popularity Celtic is one of the biggest in the world for sure, they have fans everywhere.