PDA

View Full Version : OchoCinko to trial with Sporting KC

mastermixer
03-16-2011, 11:27 AM
PR stunt I'm guessing.

@GrantWahl (http://twitter.com/#!/GrantWahl) Grant Wahl
Just spoke to KC press officer: @Ochocinco (http://twitter.com/Ochocinco) on trial w/team next Tue-Fri. Coach Peter Vermes is serious about it, as is Ochocinco. We'll see!

http://twitter.com/#!/GrantWahl/status/48056753153261568

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
the new bo jackson. curious to see how he fairs.
hes an athelete but as for being a soccer player. I know dude played in Uni or high school

CretanBull
03-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Hmmm...millions in the NFL or thousands in the MLS...which contract to sign?

Sonny Cheeba
03-16-2011, 11:34 AM
i posted this a couple of years ago...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=420353&root=us&cc=5901

dude loves soccer.

Sonny Cheeba
03-16-2011, 11:35 AM
the new bo jackson. curious to see how he fairs.
hes an athelete but as for being a soccer player. I know dude played in Uni or high school

sounds good enough for MLS to me. haha.

he's fast so that will help a lot.

Pachuco
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Hmmm...millions in the NFL or thousands in the MLS...which contract to sign?

Have you been keeping up with the NFL and the lockout situation?

Shway
03-16-2011, 11:53 AM
^i have, with a lockout does that mean they dont get paid

Wagner
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM
i know it's a PR stunt.

but he shouldn't be risking those knees and ankles...
one ill-timed tackle...and he's doing pre-game on the NFL network.

ManUtd4ever
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM
This smells like Michael Jordan trying out for the Chicago White Sox as opposed to Bo Jackson playing for the Kansas City Royals. Anyway, it's good publicity for MLS which is always welcome.

ginkster88
03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
He's not making any money this fall if he's locked out.

Roogsy
03-16-2011, 12:09 PM
He's a joker...loves doing stuff outside the box (ie. DWTS). It's good promotion, I certainly chuckled at it. I don't think anyone is serious about this.

rocker
03-16-2011, 12:18 PM
I've always wondered how much better MLS and national soccer in the USA would be if you took a certain percentage of those wide receivers and running backs and got them into soccer at a young age.

TFCRegina
03-16-2011, 12:20 PM
He's a joker...loves doing stuff outside the box (ie. DWTS). It's good promotion, I certainly chuckled at it. I don't think anyone is serious about this.

I can see him signing, if just for a paycheque, Sporting Kansas will sell his shirts, MLS raises their profile among the NFL watching population...

Wagner
03-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Ocho is a soccer guy.
he proclaimed his love of the sport when he attempt a PAT.

rocker
03-16-2011, 12:22 PM
I'd like to see Steve Nash try out for the Whitecaps. i've seen him play and man, he looks better than many USL players. he could be a backend-roster MLS player I think.

nobodybeatsthewiz
03-16-2011, 12:29 PM
love ocho!

Pachuco
03-16-2011, 12:38 PM
I've always wondered how much better MLS and national soccer in the USA would be if you took a certain percentage of those wide receivers and running backs and got them into soccer at a young age.

It's not a matter of them playing it at a young age. Since alot of them do already. It's the fact that most of them have chosen an alternative sport in which they see more opportunity to make more money in the U.S

Beach_Red
03-16-2011, 12:44 PM
This smells like Michael Jordan trying out for the Chicago White Sox as opposed to Bo Jackson playing for the Kansas City Royals. Anyway, it's good publicity for MLS which is always welcome.

Why, is Chad about to be investigated for gambling, too? ;)

Is there a reality show following this?

prizby
03-16-2011, 01:03 PM
players locked out...no union...free to do whatever he wants to do

Super Cereal
03-16-2011, 01:07 PM
i know it's a PR stunt.

but he shouldn't be risking those knees and ankles...
one ill-timed tackle...and he's doing pre-game on the NFL network.

It's just a trial. Minicamps and NFL practises are probably more of an injury risk.

Ocho loves soccer and I love Ocho, should be fun.

jloome
03-16-2011, 01:11 PM

Jordan didn't just try out for the Sox, he was signed to their minor league club, played a whole season and hit .202. Stole 30 bases though (also had 11 errors).

C.Ronaldo
03-16-2011, 01:16 PM
PR stunt I'm guessing.

@GrantWahl (http://twitter.com/#!/GrantWahl) Grant Wahl
Just spoke to KC press officer: @Ochocinco (http://twitter.com/Ochocinco) on trial w/team next Tue-Fri. Coach Peter Vermes is serious about it, as is Ochocinco. We'll see!

http://twitter.com/#!/GrantWahl/status/48056753153261568

he was suppose to race C.Ronaldo, but got injured. Apparently they are good friends (i the sense that rich people hang out with other rich people)

NBS
03-16-2011, 01:22 PM
I've got no problem with him trying. However, I think it would augur ill for the league to have him make the squad; it would attract mainstream media and feed the prevalent belief that the league is a joke. While everybody who follows the league understands it's not top flight, I would hope and fully expect that it's at least good enough to not have somebody step right in from another sport and excel, no matter how much of an athlete he is.

McBrace
03-16-2011, 01:25 PM
^^ +1

drewski
03-16-2011, 02:30 PM
^i have, with a lockout does that mean they dont get paid

they still get paid cause their contracts are still valid. his is expired though, which is the only way he could do this trial (cause no team would let a player trial another sport these days)

drewski
03-16-2011, 02:31 PM
players locked out...no union...free to do whatever he wants to do

lockout or no, his contract expired so he'd be free to do whatever he wants anyway.

Detroit_TFC
03-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Chad 85 will talk incessantly about this for weeks I'm sure. Huge free PR bonanza for SKC. The SKC FO has to be careful not to piss off their players if this becomes too much of a circus however.

I think this has a lot of upside. If he stinks then it was a lark and then will be done. If he can move the ball then he can brag how great he is and SKC might get a reserve player.

CretanBull
03-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Have you been keeping up with the NFL and the lockout situation?

Oh! No, I don't watch or follow the NFL at all...makes more sense now :D

Shakes McQueen
03-16-2011, 06:01 PM
I've got no problem with him trying. However, I think it would augur ill for the league to have him make the squad; it would attract mainstream media and feed the prevalent belief that the league is a joke. While everybody who follows the league understands it's not top flight, I would hope and fully expect that it's at least good enough to not have somebody step right in from another sport and excel, no matter how much of an athlete he is.

I don't see it being that huge of a deal. Johnson's physical conditioning is just as good as 90% of the league, and if he plays a lot of soccer in his down time, he could be good enough to at least make a team. I reckon Steve Nash might be good enough to make an MLS team, too.

Look at a guy like Deion Sanders, who became a good player in more than one sport - and those leagues were top flight, unlike MLS. It's really rare, but it happens.

- Scott

craigtfc
03-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Just read ok the tsn news ticker that he is on a 4 day trial with KC

Pachuco
03-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Hey I got a good idea. Since all the NFL announcers will be out of a job as well MLS should hire them and their productions. Sunday Night Futbol with Al Michaels here we come.

Shakes McQueen
03-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Hey I got a good idea. Since all the NFL announcers will be out of a job as well MLS should hire them and their productions. Sunday Night Futbol with Al Michaels here we come.

Having NFL production crews shifted to MLS would be awesome, but I could do without most of the commentators.

- Scott

Pachuco
03-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Having NFL production crews shifted to MLS would be awesome, but I could do without most of the commentators.

- Scott

Really? I think they are the best in the business (The play by play guys). To each his own I guess.

NF-FC
03-16-2011, 06:32 PM
I have no idea how his technical skills are but with his speed and ability to make quick changes of direction he will be popping out of nowhere into wide open spaces all day long.

Jeff Cunningham has made a career out of this, we will see how 85 fares soon.

ensco
03-16-2011, 06:33 PM
I bet he's better than everyone thinks he is.

I remember reading somewhere someone suggesting that, given a two month training camp, LeBron James would be the best GK in he world. I think there might be something to that.

Shakes McQueen
03-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Really? I think they are the best in the business (The play by play guys). To each his own I guess.

There are a few I like - Al Michaels and Ron Jaworski being a couple of them.

Personally, I'd love to see John Madden and Pat Summerall reunited, and then told they are going to be commentating MLS games, haha.

- Scott

Keystone FC
03-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Yeah, they're the best in the business as far as American football goes but this is soccer we're talking about. I know they are pros at what they do and a pro should be able to comment on any given sport but I could see them having a difficult time adjusting to the pace of the game, the names of the players, and the rules of the game. Not to mention that some NFL commentators have spoken ALOUD their hatred for the game of soccer.

Keystone FC
03-17-2011, 12:23 AM
If this rumor is true and Chad Johnson (he changed his name back to his birth name) is 'on trial' for SKC it could mean:
1) there will be a lockout in the NFL
2) the Bengals are looking to unload him and no one is interested.
3) Now that Carson Palmer (Bengals QB - actually he should be listed as a Groundback due to his back being on the ground so much - is out of Cincy Chad is looking to get out as well.

Either way if Chad ends up with SKC he will put the 'u' in SuKC IT!

Shakes McQueen
03-17-2011, 05:31 AM
I think he just wants the attention of pulling a Deion Sanders, and figures he will have the time now that an NFL lockout is pretty much inevitable.

- Scott

drewski
03-17-2011, 08:55 AM
If this rumor is true and Chad Johnson (he changed his name back to his birth name) is 'on trial' for SKC it could mean:
1) there will be a lockout in the NFL
2) the Bengals are looking to unload him and no one is interested.
3) Now that Carson Palmer (Bengals QB - actually he should be listed as a Groundback due to his back being on the ground so much - is out of Cincy Chad is looking to get out as well.

Either way if Chad ends up with SKC he will put the 'u' in SuKC IT!

they are locked out (happened last week) and the Bengals don't have to unload him as he's out of a contract I believe.

rocker
03-17-2011, 10:02 AM
I'd love to see him succeed and inspire some boys who are choosing between NFL and MLS to choose MLS (even if the money is lower!) :)

and then I'd love to see the NFL lockout/strike go on for the rest of human history.

Beach_Red
03-17-2011, 10:08 AM
I'd love to see him succeed and inspire some boys who are choosing between NFL and MLS to choose MLS (even if the money is lower!) :)

and then I'd love to see the NFL lockout/strike go on for the rest of human history.

:D Or, until every NFL team has a Green Bay style ownership group.

jaahuuu
03-17-2011, 11:08 AM
:D Or, until every NFL team has a Green Bay style ownership group.
That can't happen. NFL rules prohibit teams from having more that 24 owners, plus 1 person has to own at least 30% of the team. Green Bay was grandfathered in when the new rules took place.

Keystone FC
03-17-2011, 11:28 AM
they are locked out (happened last week)
Ah! Hence the court date. Gotcha.

and the Bengals don't have to unload him as he's out of a contract I believe.
I think he's still under contract but I know T.O. is gone. Plus, Chad owe's some money:
Hamilton County Municipal Judge Bernie Bouchard ordered him to pay Exclusive Wear $11,717 for clothing the Cincinnati store said the player never paid for.
Yeah, he's going to need a paying gig while the Millionaire players try to get more money from the 'slave master' owners.

Beach_Red
03-17-2011, 12:47 PM
That can't happen. NFL rules prohibit teams from having more that 24 owners, plus 1 person has to own at least 30% of the team. Green Bay was grandfathered in when the new rules took place.

Yeah, I know, I was (mostly) kidding. For all their talk about fears of a "nanny state" Americans really like a father-figure in charge, they like their sports teams owned by billionaires who know better than anyone else.

But I do wonder, how many NFL stadiums used public money to get built? What if a rival league started up with teams using the Green Bay model to play in publicly financed stadiums? They could hire the same GMs and coaches, the same players and, like Green Bay, they could make their books public.

Someone would cover all those share issues....

drewski
03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
first day of tryout

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/2011/03/23/sp-nfl-ochocinco-soccer.html

dantdot
03-23-2011, 04:14 PM
y5CP6yT0hz8

He dribbles like a boss! Look at those eyes on the ball.

Pachuco
03-23-2011, 04:19 PM
y5CP6yT0hz8

He dribbles like a boss! Look at those eyes on the ball.

OMG, I know there are 10 year olds playing rep that can dribble without looking at the ball. HAHAHA. Now I know it's all a joke.

rocker
03-23-2011, 04:26 PM
i watched a bit of the live feed of him practicing. He's got good first touch, and he's really fast, and his short passing is decent, but that's about it. His crossing was awful, and you can see above he's gotta stare at the ball to dribble. Also, he didn't look very aware on the pitch during the training match. Aimless.

But it was his first day..... he's there for 3 more days.

swan
03-23-2011, 04:44 PM
if he has a good first touch he can be like a walcott with his speed just send the long ball and let him out run the defenders

TFCREDNWHITE
03-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Actually, he was a highly rated college soccer player, supposedly he could have went pro if he picked that path......

rocker
03-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Actually, he was a highly rated college soccer player, supposedly he could have went pro if he picked that path......

I thought he stopped soccer in early high school? like grade 9 or something.

Yohan
03-27-2011, 07:43 PM
pretty cool vid of ochocinco's trial at KC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT9BSgsQlqU

ArmenJBX
03-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Man...I pray he gets the contract. That would be something.

pekduck
03-27-2011, 08:06 PM
ran into him in Oklahoma Joe's (best BBQ in Kansas), Teal Bunbury took him there..., well, actually, saw them leaving on my way in... was that Tue night? or Wed night?

TorCanSoc
03-27-2011, 08:14 PM
There is one lesson here for all of us. The more money you have in your bank account, the more delusional you can be about your abilities. If my company gets off the ground, one day it goes big... really big!! Then I'm going to pay my way onto a TFC tryout. The fact that I'm 45 years old and about 45% body fat, will not deter me!!! I will call myself TorCanSoc-Quatro'Cinqo" !!!!!!

To Johnson's defense, he is aware that he is out of his league. But I admire his ability to put himself in situations out of his element. He's having fun, KC cashes in on some media time, its all good. I'm sure the Don would not be amused, especially the video of ocho trying to melt the ball with his super vision! :)

J .
03-28-2011, 01:37 AM
I think he as a little more time, a month or two and he could be a sub, or play a little in the reserve league for fun. If he can learn how to cross, he would be better than most wingers we have ever had.

Serb_Star
03-28-2011, 01:28 PM
http://mlsinsiderblog.com/?p=4764

Gained respect for him after watching that, seems like a good guy I'm cheering for him.

Roogsy
03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
There is one lesson here for all of us. The more money you have in your bank account, the more delusional you can be about your abilities. If my company gets off the ground, one day it goes big... really big!! Then I'm going to pay my way onto a TFC tryout. The fact that I'm 45 years old and about 45% body fat, will not deter me!!! I will call myself TorCanSoc-Quatro'Cinqo" !!!!!!

I have to admit I LOL'd at this one.

pekduck
03-28-2011, 01:44 PM

To Johnson's defense, he is aware that he is out of his league. But I admire his ability to put himself in situations out of his element. He's having fun, KC cashes in on some media time, its all good. I'm sure the Don would not be amused, especially the video of ocho trying to melt the ball with his super vision! :)

err.. the dude was pretty athletic, and if he learns (big ass if) proper, he can play in reserve league..

Michael Jordan played baseball for a season.. come on...

McBrace
03-28-2011, 01:51 PM
He has a ton of learning to do... This is nothing but a guy that has connections trying to live out his old dream.. He look like total shit, IMO...

TFCRegina
03-28-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm re-branding myself so I can get a shot at Sporting KC.

Lars Ochenta y Cinco. Lick my balls Ochocinco, we know who the real 85 is.

ginkster88
03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
He has a ton of learning to do... This is nothing but a guy that has connections trying to live out his old dream.. He look like total shit, IMO...

You can't teach speed. With proper service he could score a few goals if he timed his runs correctly, I'm confident he would be the fastest player in the league.

trane
03-28-2011, 01:57 PM
I did not think he looked so bad. I would not put him in the midle, but I would try him on the wing. Put him in late and let him fly, as long as he can put a decenent pass into the box. Why not?

McBrace
03-28-2011, 02:02 PM
You can't teach speed. With proper service he could score a few goals if he timed his runs correctly, I'm confident he would be the fastest player in the league..

Sorry I don't buy this for a second... I realize you can't teach speed, but a person that hasn't played at a competative level since he was 15 isn't going to just learn how to time his runs correctly with a little bit of coaching... Reading the play and timing your runs correclty comes from many years of playing..Maybe thats the problem with this league in the first place, to many athletes not enough footballers. From what I saw in the clips...He has a long way to go, IMO....

ginkster88
03-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Sorry I don't buy this for a second... I realize you can't teach speed, but a person that hasn't played at a competative level since he was 15 isn't going to just learn how to time his runs correctly with a little bit of coaching... Reading the play and timing your runs correclty comes from many years of playing..Maybe thats the problem with this league in the first place, to many athletes not enough footballers. From what I saw in the clips...He has a long way to go, IMO....

What aren't you buying?

My statement that he will score goals is contingent on his ability to time runs; I don't think that is outrageous.

Sure he may have difficulty as you suggest. What I am saying is that if he is able to do that, he will be successful.

McBrace
03-28-2011, 02:17 PM
That could be said for any person that has speed...I just think because he's a fast athlete, people assume he can be somewhat successful in this league..I think it takes more than just speed to be successful in this game.. You need to be able to finish.

TOBOR !
03-28-2011, 03:01 PM
I imagine he'd get into a lot of goal-scoring situations with a lot of balls ending up in row Z.

Think Obrien Wide x 10.

Red CB Toronto
03-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Watch Chad's debut here.

http://www.sporting85.com/tryout.php

Beach_Red
03-28-2011, 04:24 PM
I imagine he'd get into a lot of goal-scoring situations with a lot of balls ending up in row Z.

Think Obrien Wide x 10.

Or Marvel Wynne.

Red CB Toronto
03-28-2011, 04:33 PM
He has a few nice touches so far.

C.Ronaldo
03-28-2011, 04:48 PM
he cant be worse than marvel wynne's dribbling skills

TorCanSoc
03-28-2011, 06:26 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Usain-Bolt-wants-to-play-for-Manchester-United-?urn=sow-266267

How do you say 9.58 in Spanish?

TFCRegina
03-28-2011, 06:34 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Usain-Bolt-wants-to-play-for-Manchester-United-?urn=sow-266267

How do you say 9.58 in Spanish?

werewolf
03-29-2011, 04:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6270263/chad-ochocinco-cincinnati-bengals-gets-reserve-spot-sporting-kc

On the reserve team.

drewski
03-30-2011, 08:24 AM
win/win. he gets to keep working out with the team, MLS gets more attention and who knows, if his skills pick up, maybe they can get him on a contract and get some game time