PDA

View Full Version : O'Brian White - his performance yesterday

maninb
03-16-2011, 10:25 AM
From the La-SEA game..."O'Brien White squandered two glorious opportunities to score in each half".....LMAO! Gee imagine that!!!

tfcleeds
03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Barrett didn't look so great either for LA.

Pachuco
03-16-2011, 10:32 AM
So out of the two ex-TFC players that played last night, one embarassed us and the other one didnt.

White was absolutely horrendous all game. He was clearly lost on the pitch. He looked like a nervous little boy. Begging for other players to take the ball from him because he wanted no part in it.

Sigi Schmidt's downfall this year is that he believes in White, mark my words. I feel horrible for Montero who has to play beside him. For the record, I didn't think he was that bad with TFC, but man was he ever bad last night.

As for Barrett, this dude is going to have a great season. He may not score all the goals for L.A, but he'll be that guy that does all the dirty work while JPA taps in the ball. He setup Beckham last night on a tap in with his hard work and Beckham botched it. He was all over the pitch last night and didn't look out of place with the team at all. I believe he'll be a starter and develop a partnership with JPA up top. Seems like they complement each other in my mind.

TFC Cityboy
03-16-2011, 10:38 AM
As for Barrett, this dude is going to have a great season. He may not score all the goals for L.A, but he'll be that guy that does all the dirty work while JPA taps in the ball. He setup Beckham last night on a tap in with his hard work and Beckham botched it. He was all over the pitch last night and didn't look out of place with the team at all. I believe he'll be a starter and develop a partnership with JPA up top. Seems like they complement each other in my mind.

Of all the guys to go thru the exit door this winter (pardon the pun), Chad is the one we'll miss.

Carts
03-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Barrett's biggest hurdle will be to get that starting spot when everyone is healthy...

I agree with what you said about last nights game. OBW wanted no part of the ball - I don't think he had a touch until the 22nd minute LOL...

Barrett worked well, created some chances. His delivery was poor on a couple of occasions, but both were difficult as they were full tilt on soaking wet turf (Donovan & Beckham both had similar misses in delivery so I'll cut Chad some slack)...

Entertaining match...

One thing I like about both clubs, they aren't afraid to shoot from distance. MLS players that can hit the ball, should hit the ball twice as much as they do now. The ball dances everywhere, keeping can be suspect, and more often than not an attack fizzles into nothing with a bad pass, where a solid crack on goal (key word ON goal) is better. Don't try and pick a 2-inch spot in the corner, hit it hard and on target and good things happen...

Carts...

[NBF]
03-16-2011, 10:42 AM
L.A. Galaxy looked pretty good in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Barrett and Beckham on the flanks and it looks like they brought in some pacy guys to the team.

Seattle had O'Brien White and Steve Zakuani as the strikers and Freddy Montero as the attacking midfielder behind them. Seattle looks good.

I hope Stevanovic does come to TFC. I don't think much of him but if he's not getting any playing time at Inter or Torino (Serie B) at least he will add to the technical aspect of the team.

Parkdale
03-16-2011, 10:44 AM
this isn't really a news thread.

please stick with the topic structure we've already got laid out.

Pachuco
03-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Barrett's biggest hurdle will be to get that starting spot when everyone is healthy...

I agree with what you said about last nights game. OBW wanted no part of the ball - I don't think he had a touch until the 22nd minute LOL...

Barrett worked well, created some chances. His delivery was poor on a couple of occasions, but both were difficult as they were full tilt on soaking wet turf (Donovan & Beckham both had similar misses in delivery so I'll cut Chad some slack)...

Entertaining match...

One thing I like about both clubs, they aren't afraid to shoot from distance. MLS players that can hit the ball, should hit the ball twice as much as they do now. The ball dances everywhere, keeping can be suspect, and more often than not an attack fizzles into nothing with a bad pass, where a solid crack on goal (key word ON goal) is better. Don't try and pick a 2-inch spot in the corner, hit it hard and on target and good things happen...

Carts...

That 2nd striker position is probably up for grabs at this point and it's between Magee and Barrett I suppose. Personally I'd put JPA and Barrett together to start the game and we all know Barrett can't go 90 minutes anyways :) It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

swan
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Of all the guys to go thru the exit door this winter (pardon the pun), Chad is the one we'll miss.

me to

oh and hehe on the pun

Technorgasm
03-16-2011, 11:14 AM
MLS players that can hit the ball, should hit the ball twice as much as they do now. The ball dances everywhere, keeping can be suspect, and more often than not an attack fizzles into nothing with a bad pass, where a solid crack on goal (key word ON goal) is better.

Fuck ya.

cant wait to yell SHOOOT!!!!
even if they jsut criossed the half way line. . . (haha read: after half time read: drink)

ExiledRed
03-16-2011, 11:53 AM
OK Pach, Im offering you the same terms I offered Yohan.

$20 and a beer says Barrett wont start more than 17 MLS games this season or score more than 7 MLS goals.

He was out of his depth last night.

ArmenJBX
03-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Beckham's gunna kill Barrett by the end of the year.
He looked pretty frustrated with him yesterday.

Wull
03-16-2011, 11:58 AM
I think both of them showed why the front office was right to let them go last night

Pachuco
03-16-2011, 11:59 AM

WHAT? are you kidding? Beckham was the worst player on the field last night aside from White. And that's coming from a Beckham fan.

Joe Kool
03-16-2011, 12:00 PM

$20 and a beer says Barrett wont start more than 17 MLS games this season or score more than 7 MLS goals.

He will have a hamstring injury in the near future...always seemed to be in and out of the lineup here with them so I don't see that changing much.

Gazza
03-16-2011, 12:02 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Can you imagine the sitters and open nets Barrett will scuff?

Although David Beckham has helped pad many poor striker's stats.

ManUtd4ever
03-16-2011, 12:03 PM
I think both of them showed why the front office was right to let them go last night

Cheers to that. I loved Barrett when he played for us but the fact that he is playing on a better team won't necessarily improve his strike rate. He will score more goals this year with improved service but he will still miss many opportunities as well.

Pachuco
03-16-2011, 12:04 PM

I would welcome the friendly bet, if I trusted he could stay healthy ;)

TFC/Everton
03-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Chad is hack!

Pachuco
03-16-2011, 12:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Can you imagine the sitters and open nets Barrett will scuff?

Although David Beckham has helped pad many poor striker's stats.

You mean like the one Beckham scuffed last night when Barrett put it on a platter for him?

Gazza
03-16-2011, 12:08 PM
You mean like the one Beckham scuffed last night when Barrett put it on a platter for him?

Yes, exactly like that one.

ExiledRed
03-16-2011, 12:59 PM

Yes we should definitely work on our aim.

Keegan
03-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Beckham can't play in MLS, he is absolutely awful in this league.. I was reading a piece by an LA Galaxy fan basically stating that he thinks they are MLS cup favourites WITHOUT Beckham, but with him they don't stand a chance

Blowing Bubbles
03-16-2011, 09:07 PM

Beckham being Beckham. Total douche. He was outta gas after 25 mins and is looking kinda chunky these days.

Serb_Star
03-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Yeah he was bad.

Barret was his usual self, a lot of running but nothing to show for it.

Yohan
04-11-2011, 09:02 PM
OBW scores a wicked header and adds an assist on seattle's 2-1 win over chicago. he also had a good diving header vs SJ the previous week.

he seemed to have found his scoring touch again... adding to list of strikers who went to do well after leaving TFC?

http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles/2011/04-April/White-Scores.aspx

TFCRegina
04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
OBW scores a wicked header and adds an assist on seattle's 2-1 win over chicago. he also had a good diving header vs SJ the previous week.

he seemed to have found his scoring touch again... adding to list of strikers who went to do well after leaving TFC?

http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles/2011/04-April/White-Scores.aspx

We'll see how the season goes.

Quite frankly, I don't care if he pots 20 this year, I have a hard time believing he'd have done so at TFC.

DichioTFC
04-11-2011, 09:11 PM
OBW is a candidate for goal of the week. I'll admit it was a pretty good header, but 99 times out of 100, it doesn't go in (header straight to the keeper, header misses the net, defender out positions him).

I'm very glad he's not a member of the club any more.

Sweeper
04-11-2011, 09:48 PM
It was a nice goal but I don't recall him being that great with his head - He was usually staring at the ground. Don't miss him. Better not score when he comes to Toronto.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-11-2011, 09:54 PM
We'll see how the season goes.

Quite frankly, I don't care if he pots 20 this year, I have a hard time believing he'd have done so at TFC.

yep pretty much

Kaz
04-11-2011, 10:24 PM
OBW was a victim of the Preki system that did nothing with the strikers, Constant changing of the line up up front and no ability to actually gel, not to mention poor coach. It's going to take him most of this year and part of next I think but if Seattle works with him I think he could become a decent striker again.

Really the kid lost a year to injury and a year to Preki.

Fushida
04-12-2011, 06:34 AM
OBW was a victim of the Preki system that did nothing with the strikers, Constant changing of the line up up front and no ability to actually gel, not to mention poor coach. It's going to take him most of this year and part of next I think but if Seattle works with him I think he could become a decent striker again.

Really the kid lost a year to injury and a year to Preki.

slow down there. 2 goals doesn't suddenly make him a good player. system or not, the fact is that the kid has shown us in his time here to have no football brain despite certainly being able to score when presented the rare opportunity.

Kaz
04-12-2011, 07:06 AM
slow down there. 2 goals doesn't suddenly make him a good player. system or not, the fact is that the kid has shown us in his time here to have no football brain despite certainly being able to score when presented the rare opportunity.

Stop doing something for 2 years and then start up again.

He did well in the college system, so he has some skill, but it needs to be developed, I don't think it was. If it were there weren't be a long list of strikers that did well after leaving TFC.

ag futbol
04-12-2011, 07:37 PM
1) He did well for Uconn which has a history of producing guys who are great in a system but useless at the pro level. Using college soccer as a barometer for having a strong professional career is spurious at best.

2) He's coming off a serious injury that ruins quite a few players careers. So it's questionable whether he's ever going to reach that prior form.

Good on him for scoring a few goals. Personally, I'm unconvinced he's much of a valuable asset. Maybe Seattle has some talent on their roster which ultimately allows White to be the benefactor with the end product, but I can't see TFC looking back with much regret.

[NBF]
04-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Fushida said:

Pardon me, but i seem to recall everyone saying we dont need DeRosario because we have Javier Martina. Who just so happened to have scored 2 goals in one game and was practically invisible in the last game.

Kaz
04-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Why would TFC look back with regret, he was left open and selected, He had enough value that Vancouver felt they could use him even as currency, and they are doing well so I don't think anyone has anything to regret, it's sad because had he been fostered from the get go he might have been able to be developed into something, hopefully that happens for him, if it does great, as it's good for Canada, if not well no harm.

Yohan
04-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Why would TFC look back with regret, he was left open and selected, He had enough value that Vancouver felt they could use him even as currency, and they are doing well so I don't think anyone has anything to regret, it's sad because had he been fostered from the get go he might have been able to be developed into something, hopefully that happens for him, if it does great, as it's good for Canada, if not well no harm.
I thought OBW declared for Jamaica?

brad
04-12-2011, 10:42 PM

He did well in the college system, so he has some skill, but it needs to be developed, I don't think it was. If it were there weren't be a long list of strikers that did well after leaving TFC.

He's 25. He should be developed and entering his prime.

brad
04-12-2011, 10:44 PM
;1273902']Pardon me, but i seem to recall everyone saying we dont need DeRosario because we have Javier Martina. Who just so happened to have scored 2 goals in one game and was practically invisible in the last game.

Judging any player good or bad in one or two games is pointless (unless they are Ali Dia bad...)

TFCRegina
04-12-2011, 10:50 PM
I thought OBW declared for Jamaica?

He did.

TFCRegina
04-12-2011, 10:51 PM
He's 25. He should be developed and entering his prime.

This.

TFCRegina
04-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Judging any player good or bad in one or two games is pointless (unless they are Ali Dia bad...)

Ali Dia was so bad, he couldn't even stay with Gateshead...fail...

Fushida
04-12-2011, 11:24 PM

Doing well in college system... wow, talking about the past sure is great. How about a case of what has he done for anyone lately? In 2 years with us he showed nothing other than freak spurts of skill which seem more the exception than the rule, now he has 2 good games and we're lamenting his loss?

;1273902']Pardon me, but i seem to recall everyone saying we dont need DeRosario because we have Javier Martina. Who just so happened to have scored 2 goals in one game and was practically invisible in the last game.

What does this have to do with anything I said?