PDA

View Full Version : GO WEST - TFC's Season Opener - ROLL CALL

Parkdale
03-15-2011, 01:38 PM
So who's going? What's your plan?

note: this thread isn't for travel arrangements, it's a ROLL CALL for people who will be there.

Also, we should make some kind of plan for the people who will be in town early. This one is going to be fun!

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/4312912.bin?size=620x400

yeah, it's an old pic, but it's a good one!

Parkdale
03-15-2011, 01:41 PM
so for me and the girl,

- Arriving Friday AM - Leaving Sunday PM - staying downtown (on Robson)

other than seeing the match and the Aquarium, it's pretty wide open.

Suds
03-15-2011, 02:34 PM
10 in my group. 7 flying in, 3 TO expats meeting us in Van.

Arrive Thursday 9AM, depart Sunday afternoon.

Getting into DT Van Saturday morning. Staying in Yaletown. Saturday night will include UFC viewing somewhere.

Dunkers
03-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Ill be heading down for game day!

Cant wait to see the reds play an MLS game out here! should be good!!

cementhead
03-15-2011, 03:02 PM
I arrive in BC Wednesday night.I hope to see you all there.

JackFly
03-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Arrive Friday 9 am leaving Monday 4pm. Staying DT at the Pacific Rim Hotel. Gas Town friday night. Game Saturday. hung-over Sunday? lol..

TFCRegina
03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Will be there. Arrive around 4PM on Friday. My contact info is in the private forums for RPB members.

Parkdale
03-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Vancouver Pre Game Bar - Press Box - Opens 11am, get there early Holiday Inn Express, 2889 Hastings St E, Vancouver, BC V5K
(604) 252-2690

just found this bit of info

Torontotonto
03-15-2011, 07:33 PM
10 in my group. 7 flying in, 3 TO expats meeting us in Van.

Arrive Thursday 9AM, depart Sunday afternoon.

Getting into DT Van Saturday morning. Staying in Yaletown. Saturday night will include UFC viewing somewhere.

Hey Suds,
Enjoy the trip.
Give em hell.
Looking for our first 3 pts. of the season.
@ Green Dragon tonight using Paddy's LT.

:drum::flare::scarf::flare::drum:

Come on you REDS........

ChrisFizik
03-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Headed out Thursday night, leaving monday aft. Expat sister joining at the match. Going to be great. What's this about The Press Box? Location is crazy close, gonna be packed? Sounds like a crazy pre-game tho.

Post-game, Steamworks.

Parkdale
03-15-2011, 08:54 PM
the press box is what a guy (a Usector / long time Voyagers) guy said was happening.

JackFly
03-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Our pre-game pub is SteamWorks (375 Water Street) 8 mins from Empire Field.

http://www.walkvancouver.com/CanPlace/Image083.jpg

Parkdale
03-16-2011, 08:13 AM
nice looking spot.

peterboroughtfcfan
03-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Ok, for the love of god lets sort this out now so we aren't splitting the group. While the Press Box is close its in a shitty area of town. Not that its dirty, there's just nothing there. Steamworks is right down on the waterfront and brews its own beer. I've been there several times and can guarantee its a good time. Plus, its only a 10 minute bus ride from the PNE which is where the stadium is.

I wouldn't recommend Press Box for several reasons, not the least of which is the fact that the Southsiders bar is really close to there. I know there's no tension between our two groups but its probably just best if we don't tempt fate.

peterboroughtfcfan
03-16-2011, 09:53 AM
So to be clear, in another thread we voted and decided to meet at Steamworks between 11:30 -12:00. We'll then proceed to Hastings street and catch the 135 Bus at about 2:30 (it will read: 135 SFU - not 135 Georgia or 135 Stanley Park which would be the opposite direction).

That should easily get us to the stadium for 3 PM which is when Tom said to meet us.

Just to clarify, Tom will be issuing us our tickets there right? I wasn't supposed to get them in the mail was I?

Suds
03-16-2011, 09:59 AM
So to be clear, in another thread we voted and decided to meet at Steamworks between 11:30 -12:00. We'll then proceed to Hastings street and catch the 135 Bus at about 2:30 (it will read: 135 SFU - not 135 Georgia or 135 Stanley Park which would be the opposite direction).

That should easily get us to the stadium for 3 PM which is when Tom said to meet us.

Just to clarify, Tom will be issuing us our tickets there right? I wasn't supposed to get them in the mail was I?

Yes. He sen me a confirmation email so you may want to follow up with him to be sure.

Parkdale
03-16-2011, 10:17 AM
from my last conversation with Tom - we will be getting the tickets there

"I have attached the travelling supporters code of conduct which also includes details on the match day plans. I will have your tickets available for pickup at the meeting spot located on the map.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?attid=0.1&pid=gmail&thid=12e82cd2341826f2&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F%3Fui%3 D2%26ik%3Daffd361560%26view%3Datt%26th%3D12e82cd23 41826f2%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&docid=e23b2e3d2665f98a5ad767ee1f1a2ba7%7Cf27f18d27 4b404f65c8305146506a921&a=bi&pagenumber=4&w=800

Parkdale
03-16-2011, 10:18 AM
and I'm cool with Steamworks now that I see it's a brewpub and not a bath house

peterboroughtfcfan
03-16-2011, 10:24 AM
and I'm cool with Steamworks now that I see it's a brewpub and not a bath house

Would there be a problem if it was both? Nothing says game-day like Beer and sweat.

Parkdale
03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
perhaps we are thinking of different kinds of 'bathhouses'

Rudi
03-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Ok, for the love of god lets sort this out now so we aren't splitting the group. While the Press Box is close its in a shitty area of town. Not that its dirty, there's just nothing there. Steamworks is right down on the waterfront and brews its own beer. I've been there several times and can guarantee its a good time. Plus, its only a 10 minute bus ride from the PNE which is where the stadium is.

I wouldn't recommend Press Box for several reasons, not the least of which is the fact that the Southsiders bar is really close to there. I know there's no tension between our two groups but its probably just best if we don't tempt fate.
FWIW, the Southsiders were the ones who recommended the Press Box.

I don't really care where the pre-game spot is, as long as it's not a pain in the ass to get to the stadium from. The area around the pub doesn't really matter (unless it's in a crack haven or something). I mean, we won't be in tourist mode at that point, would we?

canadian_bhoy
03-16-2011, 11:45 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/youtube-whitecaps-kit-model/article1943745/?from=1943550

Insert slow clap.

Parkdale
03-16-2011, 12:00 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/youtube-whitecaps-kit-model/article1943745/?from=1943550

Insert slow clap.

what a tease!!

what's that old advertising saying..... the one about sex...... and how it sells......

oh right.

hmm.... apparently the Whitecaps are in hot water over the spot (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/whitecaps-marketing-campaign-draws-shirty-reception/article1943550/)

Parkdale
03-16-2011, 12:12 PM
UPDATE

Just spoke with a Viyagers / Usector guy, and he said that the 'press box' is now out.

Not sure why exactly, but I'm just passing along the info. I told him we have guys going to the Steamworks

Gobi
03-16-2011, 12:14 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=116&pictureid=2706

Wasting the day away on Photoshop...

Have an awesome trip!

Vancity RED
03-16-2011, 12:15 PM
^ Brilliant (the video, that is).

The PhotoShop'ed bag 'o taters is good too, but...

See you all at the pub.

Gazza
03-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Insert slow clap.

I'm so glad that didn't turn out to be Jay Demerit

Vancity RED
03-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Might have to make a stop at Granville and Robson before the pub...

Suds
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Might have to make a stop at Granville and Robson before the pub...

I heard she bought those in Toronto. :D

Suds
03-16-2011, 01:17 PM

I don't really care where the pre-game spot is, as long as it's not a pain in the ass to get to the stadium from. The area around the pub doesn't really matter (unless it's in a crack haven or something). I mean, we won't be in tourist mode at that point, would we?

My group is there for a stag weekend so no cameras allowed.

And that means all of you traveling too. :D

peterboroughtfcfan
03-16-2011, 02:25 PM

I agree completely with you on this one Rudi. I get that access to the stadium is a top priority. I lived in Vancouver for 4 years and used to ride that bus every single day (I went to SFU). It comes every 5-10 mins so we won't have a problem.

You guys are obviously welcome to do what you want to do. We have already taken a vote and decided on Steamworks. All that being said, we'd really like it if you joined us. The bigger the group the better.

Parkdale
03-16-2011, 02:36 PM
^ word from Socceronly (a usector / voyagers guy) is that they are no longer doing the PressBox, and will be making an alternate plan. I told them what we have planned.

TFCRegina
03-16-2011, 02:39 PM
what a tease!!

what's that old advertising saying..... the one about sex...... and how it sells......

oh right.

hmm.... apparently the Whitecaps are in hot water over the spot (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/whitecaps-marketing-campaign-draws-shirty-reception/article1943550/)

They clearly know their audience is young men.

peterboroughtfcfan
03-16-2011, 02:43 PM
They clearly know their audience is young men.

Right now they don't have an audience. They haven't sold the game out yet. There may be more Red there than Blue on the weekend. Nothing we aren't already used to.

raul10
03-16-2011, 03:06 PM
between press box and steamworks it's a toss-up. the area that the stadium/press box is in is probably a better neighbourhood than where steamworks is so don't let that be a determining factor. a lot more room at steamworks but a 15-minute bus ride, press box is walking distance but about 1/3 the size.

looking like a lot of red in there saturday! i'm scattered in sec 207, opposite where most of you will be from what i've heard. and i've also heard that the southsiders have been scattered all over the place as well, whitecaps fo is on fire.

raul10
03-16-2011, 03:10 PM
sidebar - tfc has more guys that grew up in vancouver than wfc does, one. haha

zavarise grew up a few minutes away from empire field. i talked to him the other day and he's jacked right up about it, if he gets in the game look for him to go through a wall to make a play!

peterboroughtfcfan
03-16-2011, 03:15 PM
between press box and steamworks it's a toss-up. the area that the stadium/press box is in is probably a better neighbourhood than where steamworks is so don't let that be a determining factor. a lot more room at steamworks but a 15-minute bus ride, press box is walking distance but about 1/3 the size.

looking like a lot of red in there saturday! i'm scattered in sec 207, opposite where most of you will be from what i've heard. and i've also heard that the southsiders have been scattered all over the place as well, whitecaps fo is on fire.

Raul,

I appreciate your insight (even if you are wrong - Gastown is much nicer than the Boundary Road area). But let's try to keep this as clear as possible so we don't inadvertantly split the group. The Red Patch Boys are going to Steamworks in Gastown. We're inviting and more than happy to welcome any other groups that want to join us.

raul10
03-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Raul,

I appreciate your insight (even if you are wrong - Gastown is much nicer than the Boundary Road area). But let's try to keep this as clear as possible so we don't inadvertantly split the group. The Red Patch Boys are going to Steamworks in Gastown. We're inviting and more than happy to welcome any other groups that want to join us.

hey, steamworks it is, but don't argue with a guy who actually lives in the city about what neighbourhood is better, beers on saturday!

curtklze
03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Im in calgary and hope to drive out friday night, still need tickets, where are most people sitting? so I can get some seats in the sea of red. :scarf:

peterboroughtfcfan
03-16-2011, 03:31 PM
hey, steamworks it is, but don't argue with a guy who actually lives in the city about what neighbourhood is better, beers on saturday!

Beers it is. I'm sure after 3 or 4 I can show you the error of your ways :scarf:

Parkdale
03-16-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm in section 228. best to ask ahead to be with the TFC people

curtklze
03-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Got tickets in 229, row e, seats 14,15 .

Hopefully Im in the right area with a good view.

Cant wait!!!, not much fun having seasons tickets for tfc since year 1 and living in calgary for the last 3.:scarf:

raul10
03-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Got tickets in 229, row e, seats 14,15 .

Hopefully Im in the right area with a good view.

there isn't really a bad seat in the house. right behind the net sections kind of suck because the front rows are about 25 yards from the field. you're in the corner so you should enjoy. probably not under the cover though, so come prepared.

ChrisFizik
03-16-2011, 08:44 PM
this thread all sorted itself out...proper (see you at Steamworks!)

wacky bodypaint promo vid -- what the hell angle is vwf marketing dept going for ... at least we get ladies at our matches.

Haha nice1 Gobi on the tater tots photoshop

Vindaloo
03-16-2011, 10:14 PM
I just wanted to weigh in on the location thing. Steamworks is in Downtown Vancouver at Waterfront Station - nexus of of all rail lines - and at the entrance to Gastown. It is far nicer and superior to anywhere out by the PNE/Empire ever will be. The Pressbox is small and located on East Hastings, which happens to be the varicose vein of Vancouver - strip malls, ugly shops, and low income. I know cause I go to the Pressbox for pints every year after visiting the PNE or concerts.
The bar itself is fine and really close to the stadium so that's a plus but if you want to have some pints in a very nice location with a view and good beer/food, then Steamworks is the ideal location. It is Sat though so the patrons in there will be a touristy lunch crowd.

I personally would pick something more football oriented around downtown but Steamworks should suffice.

Mind with the bus it can be unreliable as it's Saturday and downtown and the traffic is chock a block so getting out to Empire may take at least 20-30 mins.

peterboroughtfcfan
03-16-2011, 10:43 PM
I just wanted to weigh in on the location thing. Steamworks is in Downtown Vancouver at Waterfront Station - nexus of of all rail lines - and at the entrance to Gastown. It is far nicer and superior to anywhere out by the PNE/Empire ever will be. The Pressbox is small and located on East Hastings, which happens to be the varicose vein of Vancouver - strip malls, ugly shops, and low income. I know cause I go to the Pressbox for pints every year after visiting the PNE or concerts.
The bar itself is fine and really close to the stadium so that's a plus but if you want to have some pints in a very nice location with a view and good beer/food, then Steamworks is the ideal location. It is Sat though so the patrons in there will be a touristy lunch crowd.

I personally would pick something more football oriented around downtown but Steamworks should suffice.

Mind with the bus it can be unreliable as it's Saturday and downtown and the traffic is chock a block so getting out to Empire may take at least 20-30 mins.

Again, I appreciate the insight. There was ample time to discuss this in the other thread. The decision has been made for the RPB's - Steamworks between 11:30-12.

I don't mean to come off as sounding rash, its just important on this message board to send out a very clear message so that there's no confusion.

J .
03-16-2011, 10:49 PM
what a tease!!

oh right.

Lol, that was a great ad. its for the mens team, not the womens. What an old fat fembot.

Have fun in Van City fellas.

Parkdale
03-17-2011, 08:16 AM
I don't mean to come off as sounding rash, its just important on this message board to send out a very clear message so that there's no confusion.

dont worry man, it's not rash at all. You just want everyone to end up at the same spot, so we can all be together before the game. That's a noble goal.

tfcleeds
03-17-2011, 08:28 AM
I've said it before, but no harm in saying it again - have a great trip everyone, and I know you'll represent us well out there. I'd be out there myself with y'all if it wasn't for the fact I'm in New Orleans next week.

Parkdale
03-17-2011, 08:31 AM
^ yeah.....I don't feel bad for you, being stuck in NOLA

tfcleeds
03-17-2011, 08:36 AM
^You can feel sorry for me.....I miss the home opener :(

Parkdale
03-17-2011, 01:40 PM
counting down the hours.

I leave tomorrow morning, and there's not too much time left at work today. better get busy!

Suds
03-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Landed in Van. Making my way to Whistler. First beers in. :drinking: :)

See u all in a couple days. :scarf:

TFCRegina
03-17-2011, 02:40 PM
counting down the hours.

I leave tomorrow morning, and there's not too much time left at work today. better get busy!

Me too! Except I leave in the afternoon. In town around 4:30 or so. Pumped for this trip!

Crazy Canuck
03-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Im in calgary and hope to drive out friday night, still need tickets, where are most people sitting? so I can get some seats in the sea of red. :scarf:

West jet today was asking for around $620 roundtrip.

T.O TILL I DIE
03-17-2011, 10:41 PM
quick question, anyone know the numbers of tfc fans going west??

peterboroughtfcfan
03-18-2011, 03:53 PM
quick question, anyone know the numbers of tfc fans going west??

My best guess would be anywhere from 50-75. Probably somewhere in the middle.

Edit - I think there are a ton of people out here already that will be joining the people heading west. There may only be 25 people going from Toronto, but the actual group will be closer to 75

zackdotcom
03-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Liz and I are in town and will meet you guys there! Can't wait!