PDA

View Full Version : You'd better have Gol TV.

kodiakTFC
03-15-2011, 01:35 PM
All TFC games not on TSN will be on Gol TV. If you don't have the channel, now might be the time to get it.

Source: This TFC Live thing on the website

drexel10
03-15-2011, 01:49 PM
All TFC games not on TSN will be on Gol TV. If you don't have the channel, now might be the time to get it.

Actually that probably means the games will all be on 501 (Rogers) preview channel for free. Unless GolTv finally gets their HD rolled out.

gmacpheetfc
03-15-2011, 01:50 PM
whos going to do the commentary since luke is moving full time to tsn

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2011, 01:51 PM
got it, love it, wish they showed more Bremen games (ie wish Bremen wasnt doing so awful this year). cant wait to hear about people being livid because htey have to pay another $2.50 a month.

sulfur
03-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I just wish that they'd dump Ray Hudson from the GolTV Barcelona broadcasts. *sigh*

werewolf
03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
^ you can go to settings and change to language. Even if you don't understand Spanish, at least its not annoying, and more exciting.

LittleOzzy
03-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Toronto FC has no clue.

Hiding their games on a digital channel means this country will end up having more Vancouver Whitecaps fans than TFC fans.

Truly pathetic. I will never ever buy GolTV knowing I already subscribe to 2 TSN's, 5 Sportsnets, CBC and The Score. Get on a bloody national channel and start acting like a real team.

If Vancouver can do it, why they hell can't we?

C.Ronaldo
03-15-2011, 02:00 PM
got it, love it, wish they showed more Bremen games (ie wish Bremen wasnt doing so awful this year). cant wait to hear about people being livid because htey have to pay another $2.50 a month.

its more than 2.5 when you factor in having to rent the box and taxes.

They make money on Ads, why charge people for a channel

Stick an antenna on BMO and let us get this for free, in HD too

NBS
03-15-2011, 02:06 PM

I have gol, but this is horrible news. In the bigger picture, you need to attract new and casual fans, you don't do that by sticking it on gol. If this ends up being confirmed it speaks to the lack of value other networks put on TFC games, which isn't good.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2011, 02:12 PM
yes, id rather itd be on CBC where everyone could watch every TFC/VAN/MONT game possible, but that aint gonna happen cuz its not a priority for the CBC, it doesnt grab/attract supporters. Its been on tv for 4 years now and the numbers havent changed, dont think smalltown joe in northern sask cares about TFC and isnt likely to start.

As for it costing more than 2.50 a month, i like more than 1 channel so yes, its costing me 150$ a month with the internet but if i added or took away the 2.50, i wouldnt notice.

Im not defending the move, like i said id rather its on the CBC, that aint gonna happen, i do appreciate it will be on 2 channels, one of whihc has wide spread attention as well as priority on at least 1 of those two channels.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2011, 02:13 PM
also i like being a contrarian when people complain about how much goltv costs

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-15-2011, 02:16 PM
There's a detachment from reality in people's complaints. The games will be on GOL because no national network wants them. I'm sorry that some people feel the costs associated with games being on GOL is unacceptable.

mastermixer
03-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Toronto FC has no clue.

Hiding their games on a digital channel means this country will end up having more Vancouver Whitecaps fans than TFC fans.

Truly pathetic. I will never ever buy GolTV knowing I already subscribe to 2 TSN's, 5 Sportsnets, CBC and The Score. Get on a bloody national channel and start acting like a real team.

Bush league for MLSE. It's a poorly produced telecast too.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Just out of interest, does anyone have an idea of how games will be on TSN v. how many on GOL?

NBS
03-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Im not defending the move, like i said id rather its on the CBC, that aint gonna happen, i do appreciate it will be on 2 channels, one of whihc has wide spread attention as well as priority on at least 1 of those two channels.

I don't think it needed to be on CBC, I understand their position from a national standpoint, but the fact that it's not on regionally on Sportsnet (especially considering they picked up Whitecaps regional games) kind of sucks. Maybe some games conflict with the Jays, but aren't many TFC games being moved to later start times this year? That would eliminate most Jays/TFC conflicts. I don't know, maybe darts get better ratings.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2011, 02:27 PM
thats the problem, they do hence noone fighting for TFC and it being on GOLTV where it has priority, its likely to change if MLS gets increasing viewers through TSN

Carts
03-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Just out of interest, does anyone have an idea of how games will be on TSN v. how many on GOL?

These are on TSN - the rest are GOL TV

March
· Saturday, March 19 Toronto @ Vancouver 6:30 p.m. ET (TSN)
· Saturday, March 26 Portland @ Toronto 2 p.m. ET (TSN)
April
· Saturday, April 2 Chivas @ Toronto 1 p.m. ET (TSN)
June
· Saturday, June 4 Kansas City @Toronto 7 p.m. ET (TSN)
· Wednesday, June 15 Toronto @ New England 8 p.m. ET (TSN)
· Wednesday, June 29 Vancouver @ Toronto 7:30 p.m. ET (TSN)
July
· Wednesday, July 6 Toronto @ New York 8 p.m. ET (TSN)
· Wednesday, July 20 Dallas @ Toronto 8 p.m. ET (TSN)
August
· Saturday, Aug. 6 Toronto @ D.C. 7:30 p.m. ET (TSN)
September
· Saturday, Sept. 17 Colorado @ Toronto 7:30 p.m. ET (TSN)
October
· Saturday, Oct. 1 New York @ Toronto 7:30 p.m. ET (TSN)
· Saturday, Oct. 15 Toronto @ Philadelphia 4 p.m. ET (TSN)
· Saturday, Oct. 22 New England @ Toronto 12:30 p.m. ET (TSN)

Wagner
03-15-2011, 02:38 PM
TSN has 13 of 34 total MLS Reg Season League Games??
so the other 21 Reg Season games are on a specialty channel that not that many people subscribe to??

so approx 60% of games will be hard to find on TV??

brilliant.

What channel is carrying the NCC games??

Wow, RSN or CBC or The Score wanted no part of the rest of the sched?
I'm guessing MLSE would have basically given the games away to get more coverage, and compete for the hearts of fans across the country.
(Given that their 5 year head start didn't yield anything, thank MoJo)

West220Side
03-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Who paid you to be there official publicist?

Roogsy
03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
I just wish that they'd dump Ray Hudson from the GolTV Barcelona broadcasts. *sigh*

Caramba! Are you crazy???

Roogsy
03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
CBC isn't carrying any games at all this year?

Carts
03-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm guessing MLSE would have basically given the games away to get more coverage, and compete for the hearts of fans across the country.

I hate to say it like this and blunt, but your guess is completely wrong...

Carts...

P-NUTZ
03-15-2011, 02:52 PM
online streaming works for me.

Wagner
03-15-2011, 02:57 PM
I hate to say it like this and blunt, but your guess is completely wrong...

Carts...

So they overpriced their content to the point that no one would take it?

J .
03-15-2011, 03:07 PM
The contracts expired, TSN acquired the rights and MLSE wants people to pay for their station. Thats how this came to be. CBC wanted in but was shut out. Too bad. I was hoping for a Soccer Day in Canada each Saturday or so.

Roogsy
03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Wow...simply wow.

I wasn't paying attention to this but not having CBC is a bonafide screw-up for TFC.

TSN's promotion of the first game has been laughable. If that is any indication of how much effort they will put into TFC games, we're all worse off.

And don't get me started on GolTV.

TFC have just been assured of keeping their viewership at the same or even lower levels. Well done!

TFCRegina
03-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Wow...simply wow.

I wasn't paying attention to this but not having CBC is a bonafide screw-up for TFC.

TSN's promotion of the first game has been laughable. If that is any indication of how much effort they will put into TFC games, we're all worse off.

And don't get me started on GolTV.

TFC have just been assured of keeping their viewership at the same or even lower levels. Well done!

My feelings are similar.

mastermixer
03-15-2011, 03:19 PM
^ I think GolTv was averaging like 30000 per game. Don't see it being any better this year. So much for growth of the fanbase.

ForestGlade
03-15-2011, 03:29 PM
I thought Sportsnet was going to pick up a bunch of regional games, but with them being the exclusive home of the Blue Jays and the Whitecaps schedule I guess it wasn't a priority.

Hopefully Sportsnet picks up the NCC schedule, cause watching 60% of the season in standard def with zero alternative in Cogecolan is bullshit

rocker
03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
the funny/sad thing is, some of the worst games ever were on Goltv... always the godawful road games. so they were hidden away. if that shit had been broadcasted nationally it wouldn't have been good advertising for MLS!

dal524
03-15-2011, 04:02 PM
pissed off enough that tsn is carrying games (the only sports channel to charge extra for hd)....now this!?!? just.....awful.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2011, 04:15 PM
curious to see what people who want TFCTV think of this.

canadian_bhoy
03-15-2011, 04:20 PM

GolTV blows. Looks like it's the local pub for me!

smtavare
03-15-2011, 04:21 PM
It's not just $2.50 month, you need a digital box for every tv to watch digital cable, I have anlog cable at home thats split into many rooms. This is just not an option. From getting free HD over the air CBC to this, fuck MLSE money grubing mother fuckers!:picard:

nfitz
03-15-2011, 04:25 PM
On the bright side, for someone with cable in Toronto (and given it's a Toronto team, that is the most important market), GOL TV is a heck of a lot cheaper than TSN.

TSN is only available in packages where you have to get a lot of other channels. And then if you want the HD version you pay another $10.

GOL TV however is available ala carte ... so only another $2.79 a month (less if you have other ala carte channels).

I can tell you, it cost me a heck of a lot less to add GOL TV than it did recently to add TSN HD (especially as I didn't subscribe to TSN at all!).

The issue then isn't the availablility of channel (I can't imagine anyone who has Digital cable complaining about the cost ... given how much they are paying for TSN); it's that TFC's stock has fallen so low, that they couldn't even get a decent deal for the local broadcast rights, and had to resort to their own speciality channel.

jloome
03-15-2011, 04:57 PM
When vancouver was in the USL they literally gave away their broadcasts to Fox Soccer.

They're probably cutting a very sweet deal for Sportsnet

Ryan1984
03-15-2011, 05:16 PM
with sportsnet having all 162 Blue Jays games i am guessing they passed on TFC Games as Sportsnet Ontario will be busy all summer

NBS
03-15-2011, 05:34 PM
with sportsnet having all 162 Blue Jays games i am guessing they passed on TFC Games as Sportsnet Ontario will be busy all summer

Actually the timing of Blue Jays games vs TFC games and the fact that a chunk of Jays games will only be on SN1 precludes that theory. SN Ontario could've picked up some games if they felt it was worth their while.

boban
03-15-2011, 05:38 PM

No. Fuck'em. Now is not the time. Not participating in MLSE BS.

boban
03-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Toronto FC has no clue.

I have gol, but this is horrible news. In the bigger picture, you need to attract new and casual fans, you don't do that by sticking it on gol. If this ends up being confirmed it speaks to the lack of value other networks put on TFC games, which isn't good.
Pretty much sums up my view.
Very selfish and lacking any vision from the FO.

boban
03-15-2011, 05:41 PM
yes, id rather itd be on CBC where everyone could watch every TFC/VAN/MONT game possible, but that aint gonna happen cuz its not a priority for the CBC, it doesnt grab/attract supporters. Its been on tv for 4 years now and the numbers havent changed, dont think smalltown joe in northern sask cares about TFC and isnt likely to start.

As for it costing more than 2.50 a month, i like more than 1 channel so yes, its costing me 150$ a month with the internet but if i added or took away the 2.50, i wouldnt notice.

What's wrong with Sportsnet?
Seriously fucked up move if this is true.

LittleOzzy
03-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Sad that I'll be able to see every Vancouver Whitecaps game but only 13 TFC games.

MLSE fucks up again. Total bush league move that will create a major loss in the fan base.

boban
03-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Who paid you to be there official publicist?
:smilielol5:

boban
03-15-2011, 05:56 PM
The issue then isn't the availablility of channel it's that TFC's stock has fallen so low, that they couldn't even get a decent deal for the local broadcast rights, and had to resort to their own speciality channel.
You are so wrong on that.
MLSE wanted more money for it, the networks told them to go fuck themselves.
This is another case where MLSE only wants to play on their terms, not otehrs.
At the end of the day, MLSe are being short sighted and fucking their 'brand' royally here.
You don't grow the game or your team by putting it on a channel located some where in TV obscurity.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 05:57 PM
I've had GolTV for a couple of years, mostly to watch Barcelona. The TFC content they added to the channel has been mostly good. The TFC broadcasts have been okay when in HD, though I'm curious to see who will be commentating now that Luke and Jason are with TSN - maybe they are still doing the GolTV games too.

Before I declare this move a net plus or minus for the team, anyone know if the total number of games on TSN this season is higher than the total number of games that were on Sportsnet/CBC last season?

I've got no problem with MLSE trying to grow a TFC-centric channel, though burying some games way up the dial on a subscription channel will certainly hurt ratings. It won't hurt me though.

- Scott

boban
03-15-2011, 05:57 PM
When vancouver was in the USL they literally gave away their broadcasts to Fox Soccer.

They're probably cutting a very sweet deal for Sportsnet
May be true, but they are growing their brand. It's an investment in the future. They will reap those benefits.
TFC will not.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 05:58 PM
MLSE wanted more money for it, the networks told them to go fuck themselves.
This is another case where MLSE only wants to play on their terms, not otehrs.
At the end of the day, MLSe are being short sighted and fucking their 'brand' royally here.
You don't grow the game or your team by putting it on a channel located some where in TV obscurity.

Do you actually know this, or are you just brazenly extrapolating all of this from McCartney's cryptic one sentence post?

- Scott

Blowing Bubbles
03-15-2011, 05:59 PM
This works ok for me since right now I have digital basic + Setanta + Raptors TV so I went and added Gol TV. It's cheaper than the TSN option by a couple bucks

But in general - this is a terrible move for growing the fanbase. GolTV is a specialty channel with very little reach. Most people have channels all the way up to VIP with TSN HD or they have basic (or analog). GolTV is mega niche.

Could they at least reach out to Rogers to try and get games simulcast on OMNI or something?

boban
03-15-2011, 06:00 PM
I've got no problem with MLSE trying to grow a TFC-centric channel.

- Scott
But who you growing it with? 20,000 people who don't need converting to begin with?!!!!!!!
Very stupid to me.

Pachuco
03-15-2011, 06:02 PM
This is a seriously bad mistake on MLSE's part. The ratings on GoalTV last year were abismal from what I remember. Why would you seriously make a conscious decision to ensure less people watch your product? Are you kidding me?

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 06:02 PM
But who you growing it with? 20,000 people who don't need converting to begin with?!!!!!!!
Very stupid to me.

If the team gets better, and casual interest in the team starts to pique again, it may draw more subscribers to GolTV.

I suspect MLSE are playing a longer game here. They may be dysfunctional at running a team, but they aren't dysfunctional as businessmen/women.

- Scott

Pachuco
03-15-2011, 06:06 PM
If the team gets better, and casual interest in the team starts to pique again, it may draw more subscribers to GolTV.

I suspect MLSE are playing a longer game here. They may be dysfunctional at running a team, but they aren't dysfunctional as businessmen/women.

- Scott

I don't see how you could possibly spin this as a good business decision. This screams of a case where they simply couldn't sell their product to the stations at the price they were expecting to get. I can't possibly believe they did this thinking it was better for business.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't see how you could possibly spin this as a good business decision. This screams of a case where they simply couldn't sell their product to the stations at the price they were expecting to get. I can't possibly believe they did this thinking it was better for business.

I'm not spinning it as a good business decision - all I said is I suspect they are playing a longer game from a business perspective. Whether they end up winning that game is another matter.

I just don't buy that it's as simple as stupidly and stubbornly pricing their product out of the market. They would reduce their asking price and cut a deal long before they'd essentially "take their ball and go home" to a network with a sliver as much viewership, unless they had a bigger plan.

- Scott

boban
03-15-2011, 06:13 PM

- Scott
Uhh yeah they are.
If they didn't have the Leafs not many would be praising their business intellect.
They fucked up the Baby Leafs business model royally.

Besides, how much would you grow it by. 10% of 30,000 ain't much, but 20 of 150,00 is a heck of a lot more.

boban
03-15-2011, 06:14 PM
I just don't buy that it's as simple as stupidly and stubbornly pricing their product out of the market. They would reduce their asking price and cut a deal long before they'd essentially "take their ball and go home" to a network with a sliver as much viewership, unless they had a bigger plan.

- Scott
I'm not to sure about that.
They are run by a pension fund. Rates of return have to be met.
If not, no deal.

Pachuco
03-15-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm not spinning it as a good business decision - all I said is I suspect they are playing a longer game from a business perspective. Whether they end up winning that game is another matter.

- Scott

And what I am saying to you is that there is no way you can convince me that what they did this year is a decision for the long term. How does this decision help them in the future?

These rights are sold every year. So in 2 years if the team is better and interest has piqued why would you not wait until then to put this many games on GoalTV? And even if you did, how do you even know MLSE is making more money from an increase in subscribers as opposed to putting their product on other stations?

Why is it that Leafs TV only shows about 13 games/season (in a sport where there are many more games in a season) for an already established product?

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm not to sure about that.
They are run by a pension fund. Rates of return have to be met.
If not, no deal.

And that rate of return would be met by not making a deal at all, and putting it on their specialty channel instead?

I suspect they just want to retain TFC games for GolTV, so they can try and slowly grow more subscribers for that channel - the same reason they put some Leafs games on LeafsTV, despite the fact that they could certainly sell TV rights to those games.

It may slow growth of the fanbase in the shorter term, but they are probably banking on it being better financially for them in the long term.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 06:27 PM
And what I am saying to you is that there is no way you can convince me that what they did this year is a decision for the long term. How does this decision help them in the future?

These rights are sold every year. So in 2 years if the team is better and interest has piqued why would you not wait until then to put this many games on GoalTV? And even if you did, how do you even know MLSE is making more money from an increase in subscribers as opposed to putting their product on other stations?

Why is it that Leafs TV only shows about 13 games/season (in a sport where there are many more games in a season) for an already established product?

A better question might be - why do you think LeafsTV shows any Leafs games at all? It may give you a window into their thought process here.

Certainly they could sell the games they show on LeafsTV to TSN or Sportsnet, so why bother putting them on LeafsTV, where the ratings will be lower?

Because having Leafs games draws people to subscribe to LeafsTV, and probably makes them more money in the longer run. It also lets them keep the advertising revenue from the games.

- Scott

Blowing Bubbles
03-15-2011, 06:30 PM
The "long game" on GolTV would be to back up the truck on EPL rights and expect to lose a lot of money up front in forcing ppl to convert and buy the extra channel. That's a true loss leader in exchange for presence type of deal.

Moving TFC to GolTV when they're still only in the 100-200,000 range on CBC is way way too soon ....... there's just not a big enough fanbase yet to extract value.

When MSG and YES were setup they had their teams and fanbases by the balls already from 80+ years of history.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 06:33 PM
The "long game" on GolTV would be to back up the truck on EPL rights and expect to lose a lot of money up front in forcing ppl to convert and buy the extra channel. That's a true loss leader in exchange for presence type of deal.

Moving TFC to GolTV when they're still only in the 100-200,000 range on CBC is way way too soon ....... there's just not a big enough fanbase yet to extract value.

When MSG and YES were setup they had their teams and fanbases by the balls already from 80+ years of history.

Keep in mind that they aren't "moving" to GolTV - they still have a national TV presence on TSN, and they put a bunch of games on GolTV last season.

I don't see how this is a massive shift in philosophy. They appear to be simply moving all of the CBC and Sportsnet games to TSN, and continuing to broadcast the less "lucrative" games on GolTV.

- Scott

TFCwestcan
03-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Doesn't MLSE own GOLTV Canada...simple business decision for them I guess. I guess I don't need Sportsnet Ontario this year. Now to inquire about GOLTV HD

LittleOzzy
03-15-2011, 06:41 PM
So when I'm watching a Vancouver Whitecaps game over a TFC game this season, how is that good for growing the brand, the sport and adding to the fan base?

What little increase in subscribers they receive for GolTV will all be lost with casual fans watching the "other" team.

This move makes no sense to me at all.

Pachuco
03-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Keep in mind that they aren't "moving" to GolTV - they still have a national TV presence on TSN, and they put a bunch of games on GolTV last season.

I don't see how this is a massive shift in philosophy. They appear to be simply moving all of the CBC and Sportsnet games to TSN, and continuing to broadcast the less "lucrative" games on GolTV.

- Scott

Ok, I gotta think you are blindly arguing a point you aren't even bothering to look up. You couldn't be more wrong.

GolTV aired 7 games last season. This season will be 21 now. We are talking more then 50% of the games will be on Goal TV. That is a massive shift in focus.

And once again, LeafsTV doesn't help your argument. If anything it's the other way around. 13 games out of 80+ are airing on LeafsTV this year. That's a much smaller number for an already established product.

There has to be alot more to this then your theory.

Pachuco
03-15-2011, 06:48 PM
One more thing. If the ultimate goal is to grow GoalTV subscribers, well considering TFC is probably the least watched product on GoalTV you'd think they'd be looking at increasing their other products on that channel that have been succesful to them. Such as La Liga games. GoalTV needs TFC subscribers alot less then TFC needs fans. It just doens't make sense.

nascarguy
03-15-2011, 06:49 PM
I cancel goltv a long time ago and I'm not ordering just for TFC

Dougrd
03-15-2011, 06:54 PM
How come everyone is complaining about GOL TV and nobody is complaining about TSN destroying the game.

I have GOL TV, it cost me $2.50 on tob of my 29.99 basic cable. and you can get it in HD on 501.

However TSN will cost me and extra 39.99, brining my cable bill to $70 a month for one bloody channel, because you need to goo up to the "Me TV" tier.

Thats the real crime!

drexel10
03-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I agree that this is to get more people to subscribe to the channel. I had GolTV before TFC, because I wanted to watch La Liga. Not sure what the numbers are, but that is the only logical explanation.

boban
03-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Not only that, those channels have 3, 4 teams per channel to follow with a market in excess of 25m in the immediate geographic area.
MLSE is adopting a philosophy of 1 team per channel in a market of only 6-7 million people.
Good fucken luck with that!!

boban
03-15-2011, 07:05 PM

- ScottNo. CBC had as much, if not more TFC games than TSN alone.
There is a net reduction of games on 'regular'(lack of a better term) tv channels somewhere around 6-8 games - and that's with the season being longer by 4 games!!!!

johnmolinaro
03-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Just so you know what happened from our perspective, CBC didn't want out of MLS. In fact, we pursued the rights aggresively.

We made an initial bid for the national TFC rights, but MLS decided to go with TSN.

That left the secondary rights (games not taken up by TSN) still up for grabs, which the teams determine.

Again, we tabled what we thought was a solid bid. TFC decided to put the rest of their games on Gol TV.

So, again, it wasn't a case of CBC not going after MLS rights. Quite the contrary. We did pursue it.

Obviously, we're disappointed, but it was out of our hands.

Still have FIFA rights until 2014, though!

John Molinaro

torontocelt
03-15-2011, 07:21 PM
the funny/sad thing is, some of the worst games ever were on Goltv... always the godawful road games. so they were hidden away. if that shit had been broadcasted nationally it wouldn't have been good advertising for MLS!

I was thinking the same thing, some of those games were insufferable to watch, probably a good thing they were hidden away on gol. The only way tfc will get new fans is by going to the stadium or through family and friends.

werewolf
03-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Good form CBC.

Will there by any Euro Qualifying matches? I recall a year and a half ago the Germany/Russia WCQ, was out of place, but I enjoyed it. Thought it had decent ratings as well.

johnmolinaro
03-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Good form CBC.

Will there by any Euro Qualifying matches? I recall a year and a half ago the Germany/Russia WCQ, was out of place, but I enjoyed it. Thought it had decent ratings as well.

Haven't heard anything to that end. Sorry.

John

rocker
03-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Just so you know what happened from our perspective, CBC didn't want out of MLS. In fact, we pursued the rights aggresively.

We made an initial bid for the national TFC rights, but MLS decided to go with TSN.

That left the secondary rights (games not taken up by TSN) still up for grabs, which the teams determine.

Again, we tabled what we thought was a solid bid. TFC decided to put the rest of their games on Gol TV.

So, again, it wasn't a case of CBC not going after MLS rights. Quite the contrary. We did pursue it.

John Molinaro

do you have any guess how much TSN would have bid for the rights? I'm just curious how much MLS is getting.

Also, clearly the CBC offer would have been more valuable than just sticking the games on GolTV, right??? Could TSN payoff TFC not to let a competitor get local rights?

FluSH
03-15-2011, 07:29 PM

John Molinaro

Ok J-Mo,

This (in bold) is when you gather the support of your fan base (us) to influence TFC/MLS in support of CBC.

The best Footy commentators come out of CBC... CBC has shown top coverage of Toronto FC. This is a major let down...

A major let down.

johnmolinaro
03-15-2011, 07:34 PM
do you have any guess how much TSN would have bid for the rights? I'm just curious how much MLS is getting.

Also, clearly the CBC offer would have been more valuable than just sticking the games on GolTV, right??? Could TSN payoff TFC not to let a competitor get local rights?

I have no idea what TSN bid for thr national rights.

I doubt very much TSN paid TFC off not to put rest of games on a competing network.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 07:35 PM

John Molinaro

Well, there goes the theory that MLSE somehow priced themselves out of the market. As I suspected, they made a conscious decision to move the games to GolTV.

- Scott

johnmolinaro
03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Ok J-Mo,

This is when you gather the support of your fan base (us) to influence TFC/MLS in support of CBC.

The best Footy commentators come out of CBC... CBC has shown top coverage of Toronto FC. This is a major let down...

A major let down.

I agree, it is a letdown for CBC, but not much we can do about it.

All I can say is if you want to watch every TFC game this year, you'll have to subscribe to TSN/TSN2 and Golv TV.

John

OurGame
03-15-2011, 07:38 PM

All I can say is if you want to watch every TFC game this year, you'll have to subscribe to TSN/TSN2 and Golv TV.

John

This is why i like this team a bit
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/technology/Whitecaps+woman+body+painting+video+sells+sizzle+s occer+with+video/4443953/story.html

nascarguy
03-15-2011, 07:39 PM
the price of basic cable is going up soon besides I can watch anygame I want online for free.

I find if I'm not at the bar watching the game there I do not watch the game at home all so that's way I cancel all soccer channel.

FluSH
03-15-2011, 07:44 PM

John

Toronto FC,

I hope you get the commentating on point. Hire the Charleston Battery owner/commentator if you have to... this is the most critical role in promoting the team to the masses.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 07:46 PM
And once again, LeafsTV doesn't help your argument. If anything it's the other way around. 13 games out of 80+ are airing on LeafsTV this year. That's a much smaller number for an already established product.

You didn't answer my question - why bother putting any games on LeafsTV? The Leafs could easily sell those 13 games to Sportsnet or TSN, but they don't.

MLSE aren't just looking at the business decision from the perspective of team owners, they are also looking at it as owners of GolTV, and the financial future of that channel.

Perhaps they think they can try to squeeze all current TFC fans into buying the channel. Perhaps they think that if they can turn the team into a winner, they can force the inevitable bandwagoners into buying the channel as well. And then they have a perfect storm of circumstances - they have a continuing national presence on TSN to "grow the brand", they have content for their specialty TV channel, and they keep all the revenue from advertising during games.

They didn't buy GolTV just to let it wither and die on the vine. They clearly think they can make more money for the second tier games on GolTV than Sportsnet or CBC offered.

I don't know if that assertion will pay off for them, but it is what it is.

- Scott

boban
03-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Well, there goes the theory that MLSE somehow priced themselves out of the market. As I suspected, they made a conscious decision to move the games to GolTV.

- Scott
:confused:

John's comments just backs up the fact CBC put an offer they thought was good but not good enough for greedy MLSE. They wanted more money, didn't get it, so they moved it to GOLTV.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 07:50 PM

John's comments just backs up the fact CBC put an offer they thought was good but not good enough for greedy MLSE. They wanted more money, didn't get it, so they moved it to GOLTV.

It's not a matter of "greed" - they clearly thought they could profit more from putting it on their own channel, than what CBC was offering them.

They are a corporation, not a petulant child.

- Scott

johnmolinaro
03-15-2011, 07:54 PM

Well, I didn't say that (regarding MLSE being greedy). What I said was we made what we felt was a very good offer. TFC decided to turn it down and put rest of their games on Gol TV.

As for why the club decided to do that, I'm not certain.

John

boban
03-15-2011, 07:59 PM
It's not a matter of "greed" - they clearly thought they could profit more from putting it on their own channel, than what CBC was offering them.

- Scott

What CBC was offering was what non national broadcasts channels were offering last year (RSN).
The TV numbers are going down for the team but yet they calculated they must get a minimum number from a network.
When they didn't blink, MLSE had no choice but to put it on GOL TV.
Whether they will make more money is yet to be seen.
And I am willing to bet they gambled wrong and will generate less money.

But in any event, it's not if you make a buck or two more at this stage of the game. its about growing the game and growing the name of the club.
You may make a buck today, but you are shooting yourself from making a shitload more 4,5,6 years down the road.

Waggy
03-15-2011, 08:01 PM
There are 2 statements being made through this thread that make no sense if you think about it. They are 1) MLSE is a greedy corporation devoted only to money and will do whatever is possible to get that money and 2) MLSE made a decision that cost themselves money. Like Shakes said we know MLSE is good at making money, we know this because we're the ones giving them the money*. They made a decision that hurts fans but helps their bottom line. Clearly their goal right now is NOT to grow their fan base through broadcasts- it's to expand their revenue through their channel. The only silver lining that I can think of out of this is that since their goal isn't to grow the fan base through exposure, it must be to grow the base through winning. Which means winning has become part of their corporate plan, not just a hope or pipe dream.

* for gods sake, people keep saying if it wasnt for the Leafs if it wasnt for the leafs, go look up the profit margin on a concert at the ACC. Or go try and find a table at Real Sports. Or go look up the Raptors income and profits compared to the NBA. Or TFCs against MLS. Every single thing they own prints money. Every, single, thing.

boban
03-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Well, I didn't say that (regarding MLSE being greedy). What I said was we made what we felt was a very good offer. TFC decided to turn it down and put rest of their games on Gol TV.

As for why the club decided to do that, I'm not certain.

John
I didn't mean to infer you said MLSE were greedy.
Just your comments could fit in that line of thinking.
In reality, nobody really knows why they did this - truthfully.
But we're speculating on this board, and that's my speculation :)

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2011, 08:02 PM
They didn't buy GolTV just to let it wither and die on the vine. They clearly think they can make more money for the second tier games on GolTV than Sportsnet or CBC offered.

I don't know if that assertion will pay off for them, but it is what it is.

- Scott

Dont forget they arent going to be showing alot of any other games throughout the summer (if im not mistaken) as a result itll give them SOME fresh content on a channel thatd otherwise shut down for 3 or so months. I believe theyll be showing other MLS games as well on there

boban
03-15-2011, 08:05 PM
* for gods sake, people keep saying if it wasnt for the Leafs if it wasnt for the leafs, go look up the profit margin on a concert at the ACC. Or go try and find a table at Real Sports. Or go look up the Raptors income and profits compared to the NBA. Or TFCs against MLS. Every single thing they own prints money. Every, single, thing.
Marlies doesn't.
It's the Leafs profit that drives the other things my friend.
MLSE doesn't know how fortunate they are to be in Toronto.
Let them make the same returns in Columbus, then I'll concede.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 08:06 PM
What CBC was offering was what non national broadcasts channels were offering last year (RSN).
The TV numbers are going down for the team but yet they calculated they must get a minimum number from a network.
When they didn't blink, MLSE had no choice but to put it on GOL TV.
Whether they will make more money is yet to be seen.
And I am willing to bet they gambled wrong and will generate less money.

MLSE no doubt had a figure in mind that would make it worth it for them to put the second tier games on CBC instead of their own channel. That number clearly wasn't met by CBC's offer, so they decided to put the games on GolTV instead.

Was that the wrong gamble to make? Very possibly. My entire point throughout this conversation was that it wasn't nonsensical from a business perspective, not that it was the right move to make.

Perhaps they are counting on a certain fraction of those people who watched on CBC paying to add GolTV to their television package. Who knows.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Marlies doesn't.
It's the Leafs profit that drives the other things my friend.
MLSE doesn't know how fortunate they are to be in Toronto.
Let them make the same returns in Columbus, then I'll concede.

The Leafs are the primary source of profit for MLSE, but I don't know if I'd say that "drives" the other things.

And yes, it's nice to be in a large metropolis, and a decent sports town, instead of Columbus. That isn't really a fair assertion. I doubt a passionate genius private owner could fill Crew Stadium most weekends.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Dont forget they arent going to be showing alot of any other games throughout the summer (if im not mistaken) as a result itll give them SOME fresh content on a channel thatd otherwise shut down for 3 or so months. I believe theyll be showing other MLS games as well on there

Exactly. This move won't just be about the team; it will also be about making sure their soccer television channel has content.

- Scott

Whoop
03-15-2011, 08:13 PM
MLSE does more than just the Leafs.

I would gather that Maple Leaf Square generated some pretty good coin for them.

Wagner
03-15-2011, 08:18 PM
What's my homeboy nigel reed going to do??

boban
03-15-2011, 08:19 PM
The Leafs are the primary source of profit for MLSE, but I don't know if I'd say that "drives" the other things.

And yes, it's nice to be in a large metropolis, and a decent sports town, instead of Columbus. That isn't really a fair assertion. I doubt a passionate genius private owner could fill Crew Stadium most weekends.

- Scott
I doubt we'd be seeing condo's, sports bars, tv channels if it wasn't for the LEafs.

My point about the other remark I made was that it doesn't take a genius to turn a profit of a storied club rich in history, in the biggest city in the country where hockey is so big, in a town they have a monopoly over (no 2nd or 3rd team). All points MLSE had absolutely no input or influence in (well maybe not the monopoly point lol).

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 08:19 PM
What's my homeboy nigel reed going to do??

That's a good question. I was hoping TSN might have lured him away for their broadcasts.

- Scott

boban
03-15-2011, 08:21 PM
He's still with CBC.
Devos is still writing for them.

Whoop
03-15-2011, 08:23 PM
If Nigel Reed joins TSN, good bye Soccer Show on the FAN.

FluSH
03-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Nigel Reed is the best TFC commentator out there... hands down.

Wagner
03-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Nigel Reed is the best TFC commentator out there... hands down.

agreed.

it wasn't a coincidence that he was a host for the supporters' summit.

Inklink
03-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Brutal. I hope it's on free preview.

It's not the fact that I won't pay $2.50 a month to get the channel, it's more that it's the wrong way to go about trying to grow the brand. The Leafs can pull it off with 12/82 games on LeafsTV, but TFC is not in that territory. Brutal.

Wagner
03-15-2011, 08:54 PM
yeah, 15% of leafs games on their specialty channel seems about right.

but 60% of TFC games on a specialty channel?
people might wonder if the team even still exists...
going the way of the the Phantoms, Nationals, Blizzard, RoadRunners, etc...

spark
03-15-2011, 08:56 PM

- Scott

Well what did we learn from The Corporation?

Corporations exhibit the same characteristics as sociopaths?

So actually they are a petulant child. :)

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Well what did we learn from The Corporation?

Corporations exhibit the same characteristics as sociopaths?

So actually they are a petulant child. :)

That was a great documentary, but what they really exhibit in that film is that corporations are legally treated as persons, but because of the way they operate and are structured, they act like a person without a conscience.

Being sociopathic isn't the same as being petulant, haha.

I think my favourite part of that film is when the protestors end up having tea and biscuits on the Shell executive's front lawn. :D

- Scott

Redcoe15
03-16-2011, 02:59 AM
^^ Doesn't The Corporation scream loudly in today's sociopolitical enviroment? Especially with the Citizens United ruling from last year? Ugh!

But back to the topic at hand. This did not come as a suprise to me. I had a funny feeling the rest of TFC's games were going to end up on GolTV. Good thing I already subscribe to the channel. Now hopefuly this will motivate them into producing at least a half decent show. But I doubt it.

LittleOzzy
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
I can't believe how few people are upset about this.

Most TFC fans will see 1 game in May for example, that's just pathetic. Moving 60% of their games to GolTV will be nothing but a failure.

menefreghista
03-16-2011, 01:16 PM
I can't believe how few people are upset about this.

Most TFC fans will see 1 game in May for example, that's just pathetic. Moving 60% of their games to GolTV will be nothing but a failure.

I agree that its a stupid idea to throw so many games on Gol TV.

But I'm so numb to stupid decisions coming from our FO that its hard to even work up any anger about it. I expect these guys to do things like this.

You would have figured they would have learned from the lessons of the Raptors. When Raptors/NBA TV launched they put a lot of Raptors games on that channel. But after a season or two they wised up and reversed the trend. Its too bad they didn't take those lessons to TFC.

TFC isn't the Leafs. They aren't ready to have that many games on a subscription channel.

The team will be out of site, out of mind.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2011, 01:48 PM
I cant believe how many people are outraged about it, its still accessible, its cheap, no its not ideal but when has anything ever been perfect? I dont expect it to stay.
People gotta save their outrage for bigger things with this team, youre all likely to die young get so exasperated all the time.

nfitz
03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
MLSE wanted more money for it, the networks told them to go fuck themselves.Uh ... isn't that pretty much what I said without the vulgar language? I don't know how that makes me so wrong ...

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
also i dont understand how watching all these games at a bar where you will be asked to buy at least 5$ worth of food or beer will be cheaper in the end.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2011, 01:53 PM
ive never been to a bar and 'saved' money

nfitz
03-16-2011, 01:54 PM
How come everyone is complaining about GOL TV and nobody is complaining about TSN destroying the game.

I have GOL TV, it cost me $2.50 on tob of my 29.99 basic cable. and you can get it in HD on 501.

However TSN will cost me and extra 39.99, brining my cable bill to $70 a month for one bloody channel, because you need to goo up to the "Me TV" tier.

Thats the real crime!Only $70? I was paying about $40 (basic digital - I own my own HD box) and when I asked how much it would be for Rogers to get me TSN HD the bill was going to be over $100.

I can see all sorts of reasons you can criticize MLSE for putting the games on a channel with such low penetration. However, I can't for a second fathom the complaints about the cost of GOL TV. And besides ... until GOL TV gets an HD channel, Rogers airs all the TFC games over channel 501, which everyone gets for free.

mastermixer
03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
I cant believe how many people are outraged about it, its still accessible, its cheap, no its not ideal but when has anything ever been perfect? I dont expect it to stay.
People gotta save their outrage for bigger things with this team, youre all likely to die young get so exasperated all the time.

TFC is not the Maple Leafs, they are still tyring to grow a fanbase. If you think sticking the games on a channel that only existing TFC fans and a few South Americans and Spanish league fans subscribe to is a benefit then marketing is not your thing.

cmonyoureds
03-16-2011, 01:58 PM

accessible and cheap..........i think that's what i used to say about my ticket prices and going to games circa year one

just wait till they get GOL TV into the pricing model and try to generate lost ticket/concession revenue from the channel.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2011, 02:01 PM
TFC is not the Maple Leafs, they are still tyring to grow a fanbase. If you think sticking the games on a channel that only existing TFC fans and a few South Americans catch is a benefit then marketing is not your thing.

Prob is that it hasnt been growing on any of the other channels its been aired on. It could be that they are making a grab for those numbers on their channel, it might not work, it might work. Regardless its in motion right now.

This is not to mention that MLSE has a channel that is essentially dead throughout the summer months because most of the worlds leagues that it shows are on hiatus. Why not make use of this channel?

Like i said id prefer it on CBC where its free and national and it takes priority. Sadly thats not the case (in fact we dont even know waht the CBC was offering). It might be the case in the future but its not right now.

Worst comes to worst people can watch streams for free, go to bars and pay for beers and watch the games there, attend the games or not watch the games at all.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2011, 02:02 PM
just wait till they get GOL TV into the pricing model and try to generate lost ticket/concession revenue from the channel.

If and when that day comes we will see what happens, until then it costs me $2.50 a month extra

Relja
03-16-2011, 02:05 PM
It sucks, but again what can you do. As for me ill stream them or listen to it on radio. Radio is still free :).

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2011, 02:07 PM
also im curious to see how many regular MLS games they cover on GolTv, i suspect they will be showing more this season, once again to draw people to the channel

nfitz
03-16-2011, 02:31 PM
also im curious to see how many regular MLS games they cover on GolTv, i suspect they will be showing more this season, once again to draw people to the channelSo far they've shown the one ESPN game - last night's game at Qwest Field.

So I'd guess that like last year, they'll show any game ESPN is carrying - if TSN isn't airing it.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2011, 02:48 PM
yeah caught that last night (its what made me think of that)

Kc17
03-16-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm quite pleased from a personal level, I prefer the GolTV broadcast to the RSN one. I assume Wileman and DeVos will be doing commentary on the channel as well, I definitely prefer them to Dobson and Forrest. I can see why it could be bad from TFC's standpoint though, I'm hoping more people subscribe to the channel because of this move, the more money the station makes will only improve the quality of the broadcasts in the future.

Auzzy
03-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know if the TSN games will be streamed on the TSN website? I believe they have sometimes done that for CFL games...

boban
03-16-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm quite pleased from a personal level, I prefer the GolTV broadcast to the RSN one. I assume Wileman and DeVos will be doing commentary on the channel as well, I definitely prefer them to Dobson and Forrest. I can see why it could be bad from TFC's standpoint though, I'm hoping more people subscribe to the channel because of this move, the more money the station makes will only improve the quality of the broadcasts in the future.
You are so owned.

Shakes McQueen
03-16-2011, 06:04 PM
You are so owned.

Because he enjoys the GolTV broadcasts, and hopes the channel is successful, so the quality continues to improve?

I also prefer the GolTV broadcasts to the RSN ones, because Dobson and Forrest are terrible, and their game feed is usually low quality.

- Scott

greatwhitenorf
03-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Sportsnet is on basic cable, GolTV is a paid-for channel owned by MLSE. Some might prefer something less costly and not provided as a public relations operation.

Dobson and Forrest are not only decent broadcasters, they're respected and liked within the industry, and that includes TFC staff.

Having GolTV do non-TSN games with Wileman and De Vos on the mikes isn't necessarily a step down, but the Young Orwellians at MLSE seek to force feed fans as much in-house production from their own staff as possible.

If Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph are anything to go by, it won't be terrible, but we're hardly in for objective reporting.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Young Orwellians?
really?

LittleOzzy
03-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Will Dobson and Forrest be doing Whitecap games?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-11-2011, 07:54 AM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1970-Leafs-radio-deal-could-help-soccer

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA
Hope this works out

menefreghista
07-11-2011, 08:27 AM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1970-Leafs-radio-deal-could-help-soccer

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA
Hope this works out

There are some errors in this article.

First of all, it is doubtful Gol TV ends up on 'basic cable'. Even Leafs TV isn't on any of Rogers basic packages. Leafs TV is available as part of the Digital VIP Package, which I believe is $30 more than basic cable. That's the package that I expect Gol TV to end up on if this comes to fruition.

Darlofletch
07-11-2011, 09:03 AM
yeah, I can't see mlse letting gol tv get in the way of leafs based negotiations. cool if it happened, but hopes aren't high for me here.

menefreghista
07-11-2011, 09:13 AM
yeah, I can't see mlse letting gol tv get in the way of leafs based negotiations. cool if it happened, but hopes aren't high for me here.

The other thing is I can't see AM 640 relinquishing their Leafs rights.

You might as well just shut them down if that's the case.

BFin
07-11-2011, 10:12 AM

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA
Hope this works out

Let me just say this about this article:

1) The information on the negotiations is months old and has drastically changed since then
2) There are a lot of non-factual assumptions in this article

menefreghista
07-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Ya. I could have sworn that rumour was weeks (months?) old.

BFin
07-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Months, and you were very right about it not being in basic cable...

Ossington Mental Youth
07-11-2011, 10:37 AM
more details then pls?

Brooker
07-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I would way rather have AM640 have the Leafs rights and GOLTV still be 2 dollars a month. Rogers is UNBEARABLE.

mdc 77
07-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Yep that is not new news by any stretch. I think I even posted about this somewhere on here 2 weeks ago, rumours of GolTV to basic cable have been around for awhile.

menefreghista
07-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Yep that is not new news by any stretch. I think I even posted about this somewhere on here 2 weeks ago, rumours of GolTV to basic cable have been around for awhile.

Again, its a mistake to call it basic cable. Its the VIP Package that they are trying to get Gol TV on, which is $30 above the basic cable charge.

But its just a rumour anyways. It appears the negotiations are slow.

mdc 77
07-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Again, its a mistake to call it basic cable. Its the VIP Package that they are trying to get Gol TV on, which is $30 above the basic cable charge.

But its just a rumour anyways. It appears the negotiations are slow.

I believe the rumour that has been around is that GolTV would move to "Digital Basic" not the "VIP" package. Although, its just a rumour so who knows.

menefreghista
07-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I believe the rumour that has been around is that GolTV would move to "Digital Basic" not the "VIP" package. Although, its just a rumour so who knows.

Leafs TV isn't even on digital basic.

Digital basic is essentially all the over-the-air channels, plus CP24, CBC News, TSN, The Weather Network and YTV. It would be unprecedented for MLSE to manage to get Gol TV on that tier of cable package.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-11-2011, 01:14 PM
That would prob be the point then, isnt that the way the NYRB/Mets/Knicks etc have it set up?

mdc 77
07-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Leafs TV isn't even on digital basic.

Digital basic is essentially all the over-the-air channels, plus CP24, CBC News, TSN, The Weather Network and YTV. It would be unprecedented for MLSE to manage to get Gol TV on that tier of cable package.

Well that would be why this would be significant for them, well as significant as GolTV could possibly be.

BFin
07-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Menefreghista is right guys, it was never intended for basic cable. Rollins got bad info with respect to what tier it would be put on.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-11-2011, 01:56 PM
so it wouldnt be a special pay, it wouldnt be basic, itd be the one above basic?

mdc 77
07-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Any rumours i've read online have mentioned the "Digital Basic" package.

BFin
07-11-2011, 02:04 PM
It was supposed to be for VIP.

TFC07
07-11-2011, 02:57 PM
I have Rogers VIP package so it's good news for me.

Nestease
07-11-2011, 04:16 PM
No more Duane Rollins articles. In the last couple weeks he's told us how Winter was going to be Technical Director, Bob de Klerk was going to be head coach, and Kyle Bekker apparently was training in a David Ornoch mask for TFC.

jazzy
07-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Quite frankly I've had it with rogers......getting sc@@wed on every one of their formats...I'm done with them come August....goltv is sooo amateurish, and remember Chicago Blackhawks were basically nonexistant without proper tv for years if thats what MLSE wants so be it......I get amazing HDTV with my antenna , all thr local channels but all I need..(go PBS)....for free,....the nickel and dime routine of MLSE is tired

Ossington Mental Youth
07-11-2011, 07:01 PM
No more Duane Rollins articles. In the last couple weeks he's told us how Winter was going to be Technical Director, Bob de Klerk was going to be head coach, and Kyle Bekker apparently was training in a David Ornoch mask for TFC.

And how many things has he gotten right? A lot more.
I'm willing to bet that Winter does become Tech Dir at the end of next season IF its a good one. So many people kicked up a stink about nothing (ie a 7th coach in 5 years, as if de klerk hasn't been running things for a bit) that I bet they decided against it and left the current facade. All speculation on my part but seems logical to me.
To each their own I guess

canadian_bhoy
07-11-2011, 07:50 PM

When TFC took away the media passes for bloggers, it seemed like a horrible move - shutting out the little guy. But in hindsight, I think TFC should think about going back to accredited media only.

Bloggers are good for three things - alternative views, funny commentary and a fans perspective. When they try to become journalists, it ends up being silly.

Having said that, I don't read CSN/24th min etc because they are too serious (ie boring) , so - to each their own.

BFin
07-11-2011, 08:13 PM
When TFC took away the media passes for bloggers, it seemed like a horrible move - shutting out the little guy. But in hindsight, I think TFC should think about going back to accredited media only.

Bloggers are good for three things - alternative views, funny commentary and a fans perspective. When they try to become journalists, it ends up being silly.

Having said that, I don't read CSN/24th min etc because they are too serious (ie boring) , so - to each their own.

He didn't have his pass removed for being a blogger, he had it removed for getting drunk and using way too many hash tags and 'press box' references during the Vancouver vs. Toronto rain out.

That being said, I completely agree with you.

menefreghista
07-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Rollins is a pretty big MLSE/TFC FO apologist.

Sure he has broken some stories, but now a days most of his work is spent defending the FO, at least before MLS fired him. I'm assuming being fired hasn't changed his outlook too much, judging by this fluff piece about Gol TV.

ForestGlade
07-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Just checking the TFC schedule on the website, it lists the Real Esteli match will be broadcast on Sportsnet. The past two CCL's have been on GolTV, while Montreal's run was tape delayed on CBC. That's interesting

kodiakTFC
07-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Just checking the TFC schedule on the website, it lists the Real Esteli match will be broadcast on Sportsnet. The past two CCL's have been on GolTV, while Montreal's run was tape delayed on CBC. That's interesting

Very interesting, this would be a huge leap forward in terms of reach. I really hope this is true for the entire TFC run.

menefreghista
07-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Very interesting, this would be a huge leap forward in terms of reach. I really hope this is true for the entire TFC run.

Agreed. This is great news (unless its on Sportsnet One, than its ok news).

I bet the return leg is on Gol TV though.

rocker
07-12-2011, 11:52 AM
MLS fired him. I'm assuming being fired hasn't changed his outlook too much, judging by this fluff piece about Gol TV.

MLS fired him? where did you read that?

DangerRed
07-12-2011, 11:54 AM

+1,000,000.

menefreghista
07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
MLS fired him? where did you read that?

He was working for MLS, not TFC (splitting hairs, I know).

And he was let go right after the abandoned match against Vancouver. The prevailing wisdom is due to his drunken tweets from the press box, mostly attacking the RPB and other stupidity.

Its not like you're going to find a main stream media article about Duane Rollins being fired by MLS's official website from his TFC beat writer job.

He was replaced by Larry Milson, former TFC beat write for the Globe + Mail.

menefreghista
07-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Well here is Rollins blogging about it:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1737-Ch-ch-ch-changes

Blizzard
07-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Well here is Rollins blogging about it:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1737-Ch-ch-ch-changes

Ya, six weeks ago. It's not exactly a recent occurence.

TOBOR !
07-12-2011, 01:10 PM
I don't want to pile on Rollins specifically, but I wish we'd get a bit better organised with blogs on this board. I hate threads set up for the sole purpose of the blogger to get you to read their articles :

BMO GETS A NEW ROOF

link : click here to read my thoughts about BMO getting a new roof

I have nothing against the bloggers, but maybe we can run a list of them somewhere along with the date of the latest entry ? I'd rather see that.

menefreghista
07-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Ya, six weeks ago. It's not exactly a recent occurence.

Ya, I knew that already. But I wasn't asking about it.

It did happen exactly the next day after Rollins went twitter crazy and attacked the RPB.

LittleOzzy
07-12-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm very happy the first CCL game will be on Sportsnet.

rocker
07-12-2011, 05:10 PM
He was working for MLS, not TFC (splitting hairs, I know).

And he was let go right after the abandoned match against Vancouver. The prevailing wisdom is due to his drunken tweets from the press box, mostly attacking the RPB and other stupidity.

Its not like you're going to find a main stream media article about Duane Rollins being fired by MLS's official website from his TFC beat writer job.

I'm just keeping you honest, since you are very picky about how he said "basic cable" but then you said he was fired by TFC. ;)

Of course there won't be an article about that -- that's why I asked for a link to the information. People say a lot of things on this board and state it as fact. Roogsy busts everyone's balls for facts, so I ask people for the same.

Anyways, I'm kinda tired of the criticism of the guy for being a shill for MLS or TFC. It's like the standard criticism on this board when somebody doesn't like what somebody says. It's an easy criticism, I guess.

Rollins seems like the same guy he always was (I've read his blog since it started). Really nothing to do with being a shill -- maybe he's too positive for some people. And he's made mistakes. But Gerry Dobson has made mistakes and still has a job. John Molinaro covers his potential "mistakes" by quoting TFC employees saying things are not true.

Brooker
07-12-2011, 06:28 PM

The guy has made mistakes?! The fucking nerve of him.

For the record, every-fucking-body was saying the Technical Director/BdK thing was gonna happen.

ForestGlade
07-16-2011, 01:09 PM
TFC's website continues to list the CCL game on Sportsnet, but both the Cogeco digital guide as well as Sportsnet's website begs to differ

Sportsnet lists that its four regional networks will be showing the Orioles-Blue Jays game, while Sportsnet One will be showing UFC programming from 8pm-10pm, and then ironically after that will be showing the first leg of FC Dallas vs Alianza FC

Perhaps the websites just need some maintenance, but I guess with the FO still pushing ticket sales hard they're not too eager to let people know how to watch without actually attending

ExiledRed
07-16-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm just keeping you honest, since you are very picky about how he said "basic cable" but then you said he was fired by TFC. ;)

Of course there won't be an article about that -- that's why I asked for a link to the information. People say a lot of things on this board and state it as fact. Roogsy busts everyone's balls for facts, so I ask people for the same.

Anyways, I'm kinda tired of the criticism of the guy for being a shill for MLS or TFC. It's like the standard criticism on this board when somebody doesn't like what somebody says. It's an easy criticism, I guess.

Rollins seems like the same guy he always was (I've read his blog since it started). Really nothing to do with being a shill -- maybe he's too positive for some people. And he's made mistakes. But Gerry Dobson has made mistakes and still has a job. John Molinaro covers his potential "mistakes" by quoting TFC employees saying things are not true.

People get called a shill (I used the word 'booster' in reference to you btw) when threads arise like:

$3.50 for a bottle of water? this is daylight robbery.

and immediately specific people such as you take predictable positions defending the outrageous price of water, and pretend that the complaint is somewhat outlandish.

"Well, it's $3.50 in the ACC, its normal"
"You cant afford $3.50, maybe you shouldnt be budgeting to come to games" etc.....
"there are water fountains"

or worse

"Is this all you can think of to complain about today"

When this stance is taken in every single thread that attacks the corporation's money grubbing, initial indifference to the product, treatment of the fans etc....

What do you think people are going to think of you?