PDA

View Full Version : SI MLS Preseason Power Rankings

Pendrith
03-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Toronto at 17th and Vancouver at 18th. It looks like another long season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/steve_davis/03/13/2011.power.ranking/index.html

Parkdale
03-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Toronto FC
After years of personnel decisions that ranged from impetuous to inane, the new management is being extra cautious about roster choices. That might mean hard times initially. At least the style under Dutch coach Aron Winter should be easier on the eyes than what we've typically seen previously.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/steve_davis/03/13/2011.power.ranking/index.html#ixzz1Gfxakfkk

I'd rather watch a pretty loss than an ugly one..... but not by much.

drexel10
03-15-2011, 08:13 AM
This rankings look to be much more accurate than Nigel Reed's rankings. It is always hard to predict MLS rankings because a couple of solid players (Lindpere and Ream) and your team jumps from 17th to 5th. Chicago and New England are hard to predict, as they have brought in 4 new imports.

I will be shocked if Vancouver finishes 18th.

mastermixer
03-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Yikes. Not good.

Gazza
03-15-2011, 08:49 AM
I really hope the fan base tempers their expectations. We have pretty much the same team as last year. We'll be expecting an unskilled bunch to play a skilled system and formation. It could be really ugly, especially at the start of the season. I'm just hoping for a vast improvement in the second half of the season compared to the first. Maybe a shot in the arm from a couple of quality signings in the summer.

Unfortunately, i see the Whitecaps battling hard for a playoff spot.

boban
03-15-2011, 08:50 AM
5 of the top 6 are from the West.
Looks like the East will suck large this year.
At least that will better our chances of making the playoffs :D

DangerRed
03-15-2011, 08:53 AM
West will be much stronger than East this year, just as last.

I in all honesty don't think either of Van and TFC will make the playoffs this year, but I think Van will finish higher than us points-wise.

We're a long way from home here...

TFCRegina
03-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Yay for Semi-Arbitrary Power Rankings to get everyone down!

TFCRegina
03-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Wait, they put Philly in 12th because they have Ruiz...

Hahahahahahaha

Cashcleaner
03-15-2011, 09:10 AM
This rankings look to be much more accurate than Nigel Reed's rankings. It is always hard to predict MLS rankings because a couple of solid players (Lindpere and Ream) and your team jumps from 17th to 5th. Chicago and New England are hard to predict, as they have brought in 4 new imports.

I will be shocked if Vancouver finishes 18th.

I agree. There's little doubt in my mind that the Whitecaps can stay out of the cellar. They are an expansion club by name only and I think we'll see a very competitive Vancouver club this season. They aren't making playoffs by any stretch, but I'm gonna go on record and say they finish 15th overall. You heard it here.

Chivas and Portland just do not look as ready for the season as the Whitecaps seem to.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Im not to worried about this article being terribly accurate. Their coverage of MLS is minimal at best on top of the fucking fact we havent played one season game yet.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2011, 09:32 AM
take it all with a grain of salt

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2011, 09:33 AM
ill be shocked if NE do as well as 8th

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Beyond the top 5-6 clubs, ranking the rest of the league is a crap shoot at best, given the parity of MLS and various roster changes among clubs in the off season. TFC could finish the season ranked anywhere from 8th - 18th and I wouldn't be terribly surprised. I do think TFC will be slow out of the gate igniting doom and gloom scenarios among some supporters but unlike years past, I think this year's club will get stronger throughout the season as the players get acclimated with each other and Winter's system.

James17930
03-15-2011, 09:43 AM
^Yeah -- but regardless, there's no way we're making the playoffs this year.

It is literally Year One all over again.

Suds
03-15-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm just happy someone is picking us above Vancouver.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Beyond the top 5-6 clubs, ranking the rest of the league is a crap shoot at best, given the parity of MLS and various roster changes among clubs in the off season. TFC could finish the season ranked anywhere from 8th - 18th and I wouldn't be terribly surprised. I do think TFC will be slow out of the gate igniting doom and gloom scenarios among some supporters but unlike years past, I think this year's club will get stronger throughout the season as the players get acclimated with each other and Winter's system.

Yep, agree whole heartedly

Carts
03-15-2011, 09:53 AM

I agree...

With so many teams being so closely matched, and the fact that one big-name signing can (not always but can) change a roster completely, its almost like there are two-season for rankings; before the season, after the June transfer....

Carts...

mastermixer
03-15-2011, 09:55 AM

And with the extra playoff spots hopefully we can gain our stride in time and do some damage :scarf:

drexel10
03-15-2011, 09:56 AM
^Yeah -- but regardless, there's no way we're making the playoffs this year.

It is literally Year One all over again.

Na we sucked year one and even then with the addition of a few players in April we were competitive.

How many players is this team short of being competitive? If the team can battle and get a couple of forwards and a winger later on this year, then we aren't out of it like year one.

James17930
03-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Na we sucked year one and even then with the addition of a few players in April we were competitive.

How many players is this team short of being competitive? If the team can battle and get a couple of forwards and a winger later on this year, then we aren't out of it like year one.

Maybe -- but the rest of the league is a hell of a lot better now than then also -- not to mention there's, how many now, four more teams?

I think if we finish, like, 12th, that would be a decent achievement.

jimiv
03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
MLS Power ranking has us at 18th, Vancouver 16th

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/mls-preseason-power-rankings-0

rocker
03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Chivas and Portland just do not look as ready for the season as the Whitecaps seem to.

Portland beat Seattle in the Cascadia Summit and tied Vancouver (Vancouver's goal was a Portland own goal).

I think Portland looks better than Vancouver from the Cascadia games I watched.

Portland's squad looks huge too -- lots of big talented guys, including Kenny Cooper, who is a proven MLS scorer.

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2011, 03:50 PM
If I was Winter I would be using these media rankings as billboard material in the locker room to motivate the troops.

Joe Kool
03-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Funny how the MLS rankings has the final results of our preseason games as the only comment on how we will do in the regular season. Not that I have any real high expectations but pretty lame way to base the rankings. Hope to prove these rankings guys wrong.

habstfc
03-15-2011, 04:02 PM
L.A. also has one of the oldest teams, well the big pieces anyway.

jloome
03-15-2011, 05:03 PM
All ridiculous. So much offseason movement, it's hard to call anyone. Maybe New York, LA, Colorado, RSL and Houston will be predictably solid. The rest is a TOTAL crapshoot,, except maybe seattle. Even there, there's enough injury, turnover and lack of squad depth to say it's a crapshoot.

There's simply not a consistent enough talent depth across the league to predict how most of the league will do. I tend to think we'll be near the bottom, but I really have no idea. I haven't really even seen us play a new system with all our starters yet.

DC was the closest and we were lacking DeGuzman and Cann, two pretty key players.

Damien
03-15-2011, 05:22 PM

All the preseason losses have the Red Patch Boys asking how to say “work in progress” in Dutch.

:picard:

boban
03-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Im not to worried about this article being ... the fucking fact we havent played one season game yet.
Hence the term 'Preseason" Rankings.

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2011, 06:07 PM
As it is composed right now, I don't expect our team to be great. Of course, lineups can change radically, as we've learned in the past.

I don't place much stock in pre-season rankings, though. We were predicted to be a better team last season than we ended up being. It's all just reading tea leaves.

- Scott

ag futbol
03-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Wait, they put Philly in 12th because they have Ruiz...

Hahahahahahaha
Yep add that to the list of incredibly stupid justifications MLS writers have used to move teams up in power rankings. I remember when we were top five since we signed our much needed "super striker" (Pablo Vitti).

While I don't quite think we're top half material, we didn't finish at the bottom of the table last year I really don't think we've become worse since then.

I'm sure after three weeks when all these experts are shocked that not every NCAA player with two feet is a suitable pro, they'll have to make some corrections.

Edit: I can live with the Whitecaps being last thought, ha!

TFCRegina
03-15-2011, 06:32 PM
All the preseason losses have the Red Patch Boys asking how to say “work in progress” in Dutch.

:picard:

Verk in Progress! :drinking: :D

It will be another season of being unable to enjoy football without copious amounts of beer.

TFCwestcan
03-15-2011, 06:43 PM

I love all this kind of talk, bottom of the league etc. As the team gels and the DP comes in during the summer one can hope we climb the ladder or so says the eternal optimist in me.

Cashcleaner
03-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Portland beat Seattle in the Cascadia Summit and tied Vancouver (Vancouver's goal was a Portland own goal).

I think Portland looks better than Vancouver from the Cascadia games I watched.

Portland's squad looks huge too -- lots of big talented guys, including Kenny Cooper, who is a proven MLS scorer.

Actually, that's a good point about Cooper. He's definitely their ace-in-the-hole.

jloome
03-17-2011, 05:57 PM
I love all this kind of talk, bottom of the league etc. As the team gels and the DP comes in during the summer one can hope we climb the ladder or so says the eternal optimist in me.

I tend to find these things a bit ridiculous. Most of them aren't really qualifying their picks by anything other than what they saw in pre-season, which is illustrative of not very much, really.