PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Mar.14

denime
03-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Mornin'

No TFC News for now.

Whitecaps' Thor ready for MLS debut (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2011/03/13/17600291.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Technorgasm
03-14-2011, 07:02 AM
thanks to everyoen who came for the Shoot on Sat. . was a good time and I think will make a great product!

Eastend
03-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Wow, the season opener this Saturday and nothing in the papers to start the week?

Suds
03-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Wow, the season opener this Saturday and nothing in the papers to start the week?

Be prepared for a solid week of nothing but talk bout the sale of MLSE and the Leafs' playoff push with a gazillion scenarios, whit if's, and rumours that will be beaten to death with over the top analysis and coverage.

My guess is the footy writers will ramp up their articles and blogs as the week goes on.

scooter
03-14-2011, 07:27 AM
mornin d

ganzo_thebest
03-14-2011, 07:40 AM
does any one know what channel and what time the Seattle game is tomorrow....want to check out Portland!!

Tim
03-14-2011, 07:45 AM
does any one know what channel and what time the Seattle game is tomorrow....want to check out Portland!!

GOL TV Canada @ 9:30pm Seattle v. LA Galaxy

Darlofletch
03-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Gordon Heavyelbow and Cann the comedian (http://www.cruelgeography.com/2011/03/gordon-heavyelbow-and-cann-comedian.html)

thoughts on Alan Gordon and Adrian Cann.

yeah, I'm up to date.

johnmolinaro
03-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Be prepared for a solid week of nothing but talk bout the sale of MLSE and the Leafs' playoff push with a gazillion scenarios, whit if's, and rumours that will be beaten to death with over the top analysis and coverage.

My guess is the footy writers will ramp up their articles and blogs as the week goes on.

I`m headed to Vancouver tomorrow. MY primary focus is going to be writing about the Whitecaps, but I plan to do some TFC pieces, as well.

John

arbogast
03-14-2011, 09:24 AM
I`m headed to Vancouver tomorrow. MY primary focus is going to be writing about the Whitecaps, but I plan to do some TFC pieces, as well.

John

Enjoy your stay in Van City, the downtown west end and stanley park are gorgeous. I'll be curious to find out what the pulse of the city is like with the lead up to this game and if the stadium atmosphere is as rocking as BMO.

mastermixer
03-14-2011, 09:25 AM

John

But we're Toronto... we are supposed to get all the attention! :D

Carts
03-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Interesting this in the Vancouver article...

"We know we don't have 25 players of MLS quality,” Thordarson conceded...

Just the other day we were talking about Winter being 'pro-player' in the media, and comparing that to Carver who would often call guys out in the media...

So, what does everything think...?

Is he making "pre-excuses" in the event they don't start off 'decent'...?

Is it ok for him to admit that b/c it is an expansion club and building doesn't happen overnight...?

Should he have worded it different in respect to "building" and having a hard working, learning group...?

Or is he tossing half his roster under the bus...?

Carts...

johnmolinaro
03-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Enjoy your stay in Van City, the downtown west end and stanley park are gorgeous. I'll be curious to find out what the pulse of the city is like with the lead up to this game and if the stadium atmosphere is as rocking as BMO.

thanks. I'm quite looking forward to it, as I've never been to Vancouver. I'm staying in Gastown, but I plan to chekc out as much of the city as I can in between pounding out new copy.

If you have any suggestions as to things I should do or places I should see, please let me know.

john

maninb
03-14-2011, 09:52 AM
thanks. I'm quite looking forward to it, as I've never been to Vancouver. I'm staying in Gastown, but I plan to chekc out as much of the city as I can in between pounding out new copy.

If you have any suggestions as to things I should do or places I should see, please let me know.

john

Unfortunately the CECIL hotel which was the BEST strip club in Vancouver and Canada closed last year.....:(

Mark in Ottawa
03-14-2011, 09:59 AM
I did see an ad on TSN/TSN2 this past weekend talking about MLS and the seasons openers for Vancouver vs TFC.

Here in Ottawa the local footy news is we have a new team in the CSL!
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2011/03/10/17573491.html
Capital City FC :flare:

Cashcleaner
03-14-2011, 10:04 AM

Just the other day we were talking about Winter being 'pro-player' in the media, and comparing that to Carver who would often call guys out in the media...

So, what does everything think...?

Is he making "pre-excuses" in the event they don't start off 'decent'...?

Is it ok for him to admit that b/c it is an expansion club and building doesn't happen overnight...?

Should he have worded it different in respect to "building" and having a hard working, learning group...?

Or is he tossing half his roster under the bus...?

Carts...

I think he's being a realist more than anything. I don't think most Whitecap supporters are under any illusions with regards to the upcoming season, but some of the new fans might be expecting more and this is a bit of a statement to help bring them back down to Earth. I wouldn't take it as an insult if I were a current Whitecaps player, but it would remind me that USL-level of talent and drive isn't going to fly in MLS. He did make the remark saying that he's confident the squad will adapt, so I don't see anything all that controversial.

Carts
03-14-2011, 10:08 AM
I think he's being a realist more than anything. I don't think most Whitecap supporters are under any illusions with regards to the upcoming season, but some of the new fans might be expecting more and this is a bit of a statement to help bring them back down to Earth. I wouldn't take it as an insult if I were a current Whitecaps player, but it would remind me that USL-level of talent and drive isn't going to fly in MLS. He did make the remark saying that he's confident the squad will adapt, so I don't see anything all that controversial.

I'm the same, agreed completely...

You need to realistic expectations...

Most important thing is he didn't go player-by-player, that would have been not right...

I was just wondering people's thoughts b/c sometimes if a manager says anything negative - it can rub some people the wrong way...

Carts...

Cashcleaner
03-14-2011, 10:17 AM
^ Yeah, singling anyone out, no matter what he really thought of them would have been a morale disaster at a time like this. The whole organization is on edge given how much time and money has been invested into the club for MLS competition. I'm all for managers speaking their minds, but there is a time and place for everything and right now they need all the players and staff focused on the start of the season.

Carts
03-14-2011, 10:22 AM
^ Yeah, singling anyone out, no matter what he really thought of them would have been a morale disaster at a time like this. The whole organization is on edge given how much time and money has been invested into the club for MLS competition. I'm all for managers speaking their minds, but there is a time and place for everything and right now they need all the players and staff focused on the start of the season.

Absoluely...

Although Cash, could you imagine the press conference like this...?

Thor: "...Joe Smith? Ya he's not good enough for this league, but its all I have at left back!..."

Don't think that would have been welcomed! LOL :)

But damn it would have been entertaining! :D

SuperTCP
03-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Todays News - Season Ticket Packages have started to arrive! Enjoy!

Mark in Ottawa
03-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I just noticed that My Account Manager, which had been showing the notification of a purchase of my 2011 Partial Pack, is now rather clean.

Perhaps they are preparing to populate it with the electronic tickets soon.

TOBOR !
03-14-2011, 12:16 PM
SSG is FIT.

ExiledRed
03-14-2011, 12:28 PM

john

If you like coffee, do the Grouse Grind.

Theres nothing special about the coffee at all and at ground level on a normal day, I wouldnt touch it. However, I appreciated that coffee more than any other in my life.

arbogast
03-14-2011, 12:33 PM

john

If you're in Gastown, it's a quick walk west down Water and Cordova streets to the boardwalk at Canada Place, perfect ocean view of the harbour and Grouse Mountain and you'll pass a decent brew pub call Steamworks on the way. From there, you can walk the sea wall around Stanley Park and finish off with the sunset on the beach at English Bay. Stunning. If you like coffee, you cant go wrong with their local purveyor JJ Beans.

Whoop
03-14-2011, 12:39 PM

john

To echo what arbogast said venture out to English Bay and Stanley Park.

Not much of a fan of the people of Vancouver - LOL - but it is a beautiful city if the weather holds up.

Also enjoyed Kitsilano and Granville Island.

EDIT: Looks like arbogast covered it. LOL

arbogast
03-14-2011, 12:43 PM
To echo what arbogast said venture out to English Bay and Stanley Park.

Not much of a fan of the people of Vancouver - LOL - but it is a beautiful city if the weather holds up.

Also enjoyed Kitsilano and Granville Island.

EDIT: Looks like arbogast covered it. LOL

^^Nice! I can't believe I forgot about those
Also, John, I noticed from your tweets you dig Craft Burger, you may also wanna check out their "gourmet" burger joints: Fat Burger and Vera's on Denman

rocker
03-14-2011, 01:53 PM

I don't think a team in the league has 25 players of MLS quality! :)

Even on the backend of good teams you have some guys who will soon be cast off to the NASL/USL or whatever.

You'd hope your first 18 are MLS quality, but as we know with TFC over the years, that's been a stretch.

mastermixer
03-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Wow hope the turf isnt as soft and muddy as my front lawn...

(http://twitter.com/#!/sportsnetsoccer)
@sportsnetsoccer (http://twitter.com/#!/sportsnetsoccer) Soccercentral

(http://twitter.com/#!/sportsnetsoccer)#TFC (http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23TFC) training at (http://twitter.com/#!/sportsnetsoccer)#BMO (http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23BMO) Field Wednesday morning. Wonder how the pitch made it through winter for Winter. We'll see. GD
(http://twitter.com/#!/sportsnetsoccer)

Banjax
03-14-2011, 02:33 PM
well hopefully they managed to dry it up since it is suppose to be heated don't need another player going down with an injury now do we.

McBrace
03-14-2011, 02:44 PM
I thought they had the ability to pull the moisture from the pitch?

Alonso
03-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah that's what I remember hearing about it, they can air it out pretty much on demand. If anything it dries out too quickly, last year it was looking a little too dry imo.

mastermixer
03-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Anyone been around BMO recently to see what the condition of the pitch is? It can't be green can it?

Banjax
03-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Wasn't there suppose to be something to cover the pitch during the winter to make it stay green?

McBrace
03-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Paint?? LOL

Banjax
03-14-2011, 02:59 PM
lol not paint i thought there was some type of case almost to keep out cold while making the temperature in it stable. if not i'll get started making it..

drexel10
03-14-2011, 03:35 PM
I thought they had the ability to pull the moisture from the pitch?

Yes they can pull the water through the soil quicker with a vacumm system underneath.

If RSL could play on their pitch 15 dyas ago, we should be able to with the heating and vacuum system.

Suds
03-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Anyone been around BMO recently to see what the condition of the pitch is? It can't be green can it?

Tweet from PB end of Feb. Looks green-ish to me.

http://a.yfrog.com/img620/9057/vlwv.jpg

McBrace
03-14-2011, 03:47 PM
The Paint worked!

Banjax
03-14-2011, 04:13 PM
i ran out so i left some spots brown sorry

James17930
03-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Rio Tinto looked worse than that and they played a CCL game on it a couple weeks ago, so BMO should be much readier to go by next weekend.