PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,Mar.11

denime
03-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Mornin'

Bouchiba bringing leadership quality to Toronto (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/bouchiba-bringing-leadership-quality-toronto)

Cann To Rejoin Reds On Friday (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/03/cann-rejoin-reds-friday)

TFC fans will suffer pain before club gains (http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/soccer/2011/03/10/17573826.html)

Defender Adrian Cann set to rejoin Toronto FC (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/952103--defender-adrian-cann-set-to-rejoin-toronto-fc)

SUNSHINE_:yum: (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

menefreghista
03-11-2011, 07:07 AM
That's a pretty big leap of faith to already consider Bouchiba a leader.

But considering the source of the article it makes sense.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-11-2011, 07:14 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2011/03/11/17575431.html

looks like Zavarise is going to sign (most of us knew that anyways)

Technorgasm
03-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Now.. . doesnt it look bad that TFC published Cann's absence?
glad hes back.. now.. lets get to work!

TFC_Junky
03-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Now.. . doesnt it look bad that TFC published Cann's absence?
glad hes back.. now.. lets get to work!

Also like the way the Winter has dealt with it, you want to come back, you owe everyone an appology. And that nice raise you turned down, that's off the table now...

maninb
03-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Cann TURNED DOWN $160K per year????? What a friggin DOPE!!!

OurGame
03-11-2011, 08:32 AM
does this mean Cann loses the original raise ??

TFC_Junky
03-11-2011, 08:41 AM
does this mean Cann loses the original raise ??

That's what I read into this from the star.

Assuming Cann and TFC patch things up, the defender will actually be making about $35,000 less than the offer he turned down last month.

The problems for Cann began when he signed with TFC early in the 2010 season. Negotiating without an agent when Mo Johnston was still the general manager, he agreed to a four-year contract, which included two years guaranteed plus an option for two more.

While not happy with making $65,342 for 2010 — a pay cut from his previous two seasons with Esberg FB of Denmark — TFC officials told Cann, according to Carabin, that under Major League Soccer salary-cap constraints they couldn’t pay him any more until 2011. But, Cann says, there was a verbal agreement that the deal’s salary for this season — about $124,000 — would be topped up to make up for last year’s shortfall.
Cann then went out and anchored TFC’s backline, starting in 26 of the team’s first 28 games before breaking his nose against Chivas USA and missing the last two matches. He was selected the team’s player of the year.

In January, shortly after Winter was hired, Carabin asked for a raise to $175,000 for Cann. TFC countered with an offer of $160,000 but said if he didn’t take it, the deal was off the table and would revert to $124,000.

flamehawk
03-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Assuming it's true that he was given a verbal agreement by Mo that he'd make the $15,000 more than the raise on the table to cover for the fact that he was being paid $65k last year, it's understandable why he'd not accept the deal and protest. While I don't think he should've left camp, I understand why he did it and I think he should get what was agreed on. But seems pretty dumb to just take a verbal promise from Mo.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-11-2011, 09:07 AM
But seems pretty dumb to just take a verbal promise from Mo.

yep especially as hes gone now and was a scam artist at best before

Parkdale
03-11-2011, 09:08 AM
that star article on cann was really well written. I have been a bit fuzzy on details up to now, mostly because I hate reading the whole 'he-said, he-said' speculation pieces. This one covered the facts, which I think is what we all want to see - That and Cann back on the field.

also....

SSG:

http://bareknucklewriters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/oompaloompa.png

Klinsmann
03-11-2011, 09:10 AM
http://www.rednationonline.ca/canns_return_shows_signs_of_change_at_tfc_march_10 _11_article.shtml

Gazza
03-11-2011, 09:12 AM
that star article on cann was really well written. I have been a bit fuzzy on details up to now, mostly because I hate reading the whole 'he-said, he-said' speculation pieces. This one covered the facts, which I think is what we all want to see - That and Cann back on the field.

also....

SSG:

http://bareknucklewriters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/oompaloompa.png

...you sir, owe me a new keyboard! pure gold! (bronze?)

Parkdale
03-11-2011, 09:27 AM
...you sir, owe me a new keyboard! pure gold! (bronze?)

put it on my tab.

and what's with her tattoo? Maybe it's just me..... but getting a cross as part of your trampstamp is kinda tacky. Okay, incredibly tacky.

scooter
03-11-2011, 09:33 AM
mornin d

Ossington Mental Youth
03-11-2011, 09:34 AM
put it on my tab.

and what's with her tattoo? Maybe it's just me..... but getting a cross as part of your trampstamp is kinda tacky. Okay, incredibly tacky.

what? how dare you suggest a trampstamp in any form as being tacky

boban
03-11-2011, 10:30 AM
So he left camp and refused the deal for a $15,000 pre-tax difference?
Stupid move.

Wull
03-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I think in a few months he'll quietly be upped to the max offer for some reason

Darlofletch
03-11-2011, 11:16 AM

I agree there's probably some kind of compromise in place that isn't being disclosed, for now it needs the optics of tfc standing firm and Cann backing down. if that's the case, let's hope he got it in writing this time.

Lizzy
03-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Assuming it's true that he was given a verbal agreement by Mo that he'd make the $15,000 more than the raise on the table to cover for the fact that he was being paid $65k last year, it's understandable why he'd not accept the deal and protest. While I don't think he should've left camp, I understand why he did it and I think he should get what was agreed on. But seems pretty dumb to just take a verbal promise from Mo.

It doesn't say that in the article. It says he was promised a raise over his 2011 number ($124k) to make up for his 2010 number. For all we know Mo promised him $160k this year which is exactly what Winter offered. His agent may have been asking for $175k figuring since TFC is changing the contract let's see how high they are willing to go. A miscalculation that is going to cost his client $36k.

[NBF]
03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
SSG: Hot Hot Hot:flare:

Cann: You know MLSE is a shit club when it comes to making promises unless its to the nomads of the front office staff. They'll let them stay their full length of their contracts because they'll say anything to please everyone and make any excuse.

C.Ronaldo
03-11-2011, 11:29 AM
PUBE alert in photo 20

maninb
03-11-2011, 11:32 AM

No chance!!! That would be setting a HORRIBLE precedent...You can throw a tantrum, leave your team/teammates in the lurch, and still be rewarded??? I don't think so....

DangerRed
03-11-2011, 11:33 AM
First time commenting on the SSG, but she's hideous.
:puke:

Parkdale
03-11-2011, 11:40 AM
PUBE alert in photo 20

hahahahaha.... someone forgot to photoshop that one

Globetrotter
03-11-2011, 11:55 AM
So he left camp and refused the deal for a $15,000 pre-tax difference?
Stupid move.

No, he left camp because of principal. I don't blame him. A man's word use to mean something. You're a coward and pitiful if you go back on your word. Good for Cann.

gmacpheetfc
03-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Zavarise Signs With Toronto FC

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/03/zavarise-signs-toronto-fc

TFCRegina
03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
SSG is a butterface with an orange tan...

WestStandGeoff
03-11-2011, 01:52 PM
;1241619']SSG: Hot Hot Hot:flare:

Yes, tanning beds do tend to put off a lot of heat. Give her a few hours, and she'll not only cool down, but hopefully that orange hue will soften a bit too.

TFC07
03-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I see SSG got Jersey Shore thing going on. :facepalm:

CretanBull
03-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Cann was promised to average $124,000 per year on his deal. TFC didn't have the cap space to pay him $124k last season, so there was a side agreement that his $124k for this season would be bumped up to $175k this year to make up for the money that he didn't make last year. He made $59 less than he was supposed to last year, so he should have been asking for $183k, but was willing to take $175 (I'm gonna bet that taxes made asking for that other $8k meaningless). TFC offered him $160...$23 less than what he was promised, $15k less than he wanted. More broken promises.

TFC need to realize that they benefit from these side deals that give them the ability to manuver in a cap league, but with a history of broken promises they're shooting themselves in the foot.

C.Ronaldo
03-11-2011, 02:39 PM
future players wont trust them and TFC will get the old finger instead of just seeing the back of the jersey

boban
03-11-2011, 03:50 PM
No, he left camp because of principal. I don't blame him. A man's word use to mean something. You're a coward and pitiful if you go back on your word. Good for Cann.
I get that part, but Winter and this new crew were not part of that deal.
Furthermore, Mo andhis cronies arenot here anymore either. They are not going to call Mo to verify a verbal. For all we know Mo was just talking out of his ass. Cann should of gotten something on paper somewhere for this.
Now I am not excusing the organization, but with a new guy coming in, and no knowledge of this verbal, I would say he did an hourable thing to come to 160.
I see where Cann is coming from, but it doesn't serve you any for diggin in this deep on an issue that really came down to in real terms maybe, maybe $4500 in his pocket.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
I get that part, but Winter and this new crew were not part of that deal.
Furthermore, Mo andhis cronies arenot here anymore either. They are not going to call Mo to verify a verbal. For all we know Mo was just talking out of his ass. Cann should of gotten something on paper somewhere for this.
Now I am not excusing the organization, but with a new guy coming in, and no knowledge of this verbal, I would say he did an hourable thing to come to 160.
I see where Cann is coming from, but it doesn't serve you any for diggin in this deep on an issue that really came down to in real terms maybe, maybe $4500 in his pocket.

Yep i feel this way too

Lizzy
03-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Cann was promised to average $124,000 per year on his deal. TFC didn't have the cap space to pay him $124k last season, so there was a side agreement that his $124k for this season would be bumped up to $175k this year to make up for the money that he didn't make last year. He made $59 less than he was supposed to last year, so he should have been asking for $183k, but was willing to take $175 (I'm gonna bet that taxes made asking for that other $8k meaningless). TFC offered him $160...$23 less than what he was promised, $15k less than he wanted. More broken promises.

TFC need to realize that they benefit from these side deals that give them the ability to manuver in a cap league, but with a history of broken promises they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Where did you read or hear that?

Roogsy
03-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Where did you read or hear that?

His agent released the statement.

While not happy with making $65,342 for 2010 — a pay cut from his previous two seasons with Esberg FB of Denmark — TFC officials told Cann, according to Carabin, that under Major League Soccer salary-cap constraints they couldn’t pay him any more until 2011. But, Cann says, there was a verbal agreement that the deal’s salary for this season — about $124,000 — would be topped up to make up for last year’s shortfall.

Lizzy
03-11-2011, 07:18 PM
That doesn't say he was promised $124k average over the 4 year deal. And taking the word of his current agent who I thought wasn't around when Cann signed the deal is dubious.

Roogsy
03-11-2011, 07:26 PM
It does not say the 124k average per say, but it does imply it. What is obvious is that the 124k is the salary expected for this year PLUS compensation for last year's reduced salary. Since Cann passed on 160k we can pretty safely deduce that the 124k average for the 2 years is what he is shooting for.