PDA

View Full Version : Toughest venues in MLS

werewolf
03-10-2011, 07:38 PM
MLS Players poll (doesn't say how many players)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/supporters-week-players-rank-mls-toughest-crowds

Toronto 3rd behind Seattle and Salt Lake.

Let’s be honest here: with capacity crowds a way of life on the north shore of Lake Ontario, this crowd changed the expectations for soccer crowds in North America. And with a season ticket waiting list of more than 10,000 fans, it’s not going anywhere any time soon.

Jeff Larentowicz, Colorado Rapids: Toronto. "They're so loud. They're always there. You always know at BMO that you're not only going up against the guys on the field, but also the energy they're getting from the crowd."

sashavukelich
03-10-2011, 09:17 PM
i have to say, it's great to hear players take notice and respect our passion as fans. Now if only they would sign for the club! :)

brad
03-10-2011, 09:36 PM
I'd vote Colorado for the altitude. Amazing how much it takes it out of you. I'm a fit guy and I get out of breath walking up a flight of stairs there.

canadian_bhoy
03-10-2011, 09:39 PM
lol - Rio Tinto is #2? Fuck off.
Seattle is about the only joint in this league outside of BMO I have any respect for.

As far as I'm concerned MLS consists of

1) TFC
2) Bunch of stupid teams with loser soccer mom fans.

That is all.

TFC/Everton
03-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Seattle is about the only joint in this league outside of BMO I have any respect for.

1) TFC

That is all.

:scarf::canada::drum::hump:

werewolf
03-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Rio Tinto stadium has a roof which must amplify the sound...plus they have only lost there once in two years of league play.

David_Oliveira
03-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Probably due to the altitude???
If and its a big IF DC ever gets a stadium, expect it to be just as nuts. The BB boys are awesome

Blowing Bubbles
03-11-2011, 12:05 AM

Why fuck off? Irrational hate imo.

Guess how many games they lost at home last year?

A big fat fucking ZERO.

That's right. 11-4-0 at home vs 4-7-4 away. At home scored 31 gave up 7. Joke venue :rolleyes: :facepalm:

The Utah Jazz for years also had ridiculous home/away splits. Altitude has an effect.

Pigfynn
03-11-2011, 12:15 AM
^^ That's like 90% because of altitude.

You hear people league wide talking about they're over whelming support? Nope.

The geography of your home stadium isn't an aspect of fandom one should be proud of in "fortress" sense.

Put Rio Tinto closer to sea level and they would get beat nearly as often as the rest of the league at home.

J .
03-11-2011, 01:46 AM
People here forget we have two sides that sit around and barely make a peep.

Shakes McQueen
03-11-2011, 06:59 AM
People here forget we have two sides that sit around and barely make a peep.

The rest of the stadium makes noise - it just isn't organized noise.

- Scott

Technorgasm
03-11-2011, 08:40 AM

1) TFC

That is all.

ITs not going to get any better than that folks!
Cheers to our former Prez!!!
LEGEND.

/Forum

drexel10
03-11-2011, 08:50 AM
^^ That's like 90% because of altitude.

You hear people league wide talking about they're over whelming support? Nope.

The geography of your home stadium isn't an aspect of fandom one should be proud of in "fortress" sense.

Put Rio Tinto closer to sea level and they would get beat nearly as often as the rest of the league at home.

The question was about taking points. In my opinion Rio Tinto is the hardest stadium to get points from. The fact that it isn't at sea level will continue to exist and the fact that they have a good team makes the place the hardest to get points from. Seattle and TFC might have the best support, but both teams give up points at home. Oh and RSL has pretty good support that continues to grow. I am not sure if we would get 16K for a CCL game in -2 conditions in February.

Parkdale
03-11-2011, 08:59 AM
The rest of the stadium makes noise - it just isn't organized noise.

- Scott

but it's nothing like the noise in Seattle. granted I was there in the first season, but their ENTIRE stadium stayed on their feet for 90minutes. It was loud, and at times.... it was a coordinated chant (granted a very basic one).

Remember in the first and second season when Toronto FC scored a goal? The roar was so loud you could hear it on Queen street.

Yeoman
03-11-2011, 02:40 PM
I though Philly was pretty good too

Pookie
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
I remember talking with Attakora about this topic and he commented that Chicago had some of the toughest fans to play against in terms of their treatment of players.

Roogsy
03-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Remember that the question is very vague. What does "tough" mean? Is it only about the fans? Is it also about the comfort level in the stadium (ie. altitude)? Is it about how difficult it is to get there?

How players rate "difficult" is up to them. I am just glad that our efforts do indeed help our team. That is all.

rocker
03-11-2011, 04:18 PM
i think the travel these teams face is tougher than any crowd.

look at the home-away records. Most MLS teams have very good home records even if their fans are puppy dogs.

I think people want to believe that the fans play a big part in it (justifies the support, after all), but I don't think the effect is strong.

Milky
03-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Isn't Rio Tinto at a high altitude too, or am I just imagining that? The biggest factors in determining "toughness of away venue" in the MLS are: altitude, distance to travel from home stadium, and number of rowdy fans. In that order.

brad
03-12-2011, 10:01 AM
but it's nothing like the noise in Seattle. granted I was there in the first season, but their ENTIRE stadium stayed on their feet for 90minutes. It was loud, and at times.... it was a coordinated chant (granted a very basic one).

Remember in the first and second season when Toronto FC scored a goal? The roar was so loud you could hear it on Queen street.

The noise in BMO outside the supporters sections has died off a lot in the past two years largely due to security crackdowns forcing a lot of the rowdies folks out.

For the first two years half of my section used to loud for most of the match. Now it's like the ACC.