PDA

View Full Version : Chad Barrett on his time at TFC

v00d00daddy
03-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Here is what Barrett has said about his service at TFC:

It was close to 80 degrees on the steamy practice field Wednesday, but Chad Barrett is well aware that's not the only difference between playing in Toronto and playing for the Galaxy.

"I know if I make runs that I used to make run back then, I know I'm going to get the ball ... when I wouldn't get the ball in Toronto," Barrett said.

Read the rest here: http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/ci_17579682

Sorry Chad...but it wasn't just about a lack of service. All you brought was run, run, run. You had plenty of chances at TFC and shit the bed more often than not.

I don't miss this guy one bit.

werewolf
03-10-2011, 05:27 PM
There is a reason he wasn't getting the ball. DeRo shooting from 35 meters out may not always appear to be the best play, but it was often better then the alternative.

sweetlemon69
03-10-2011, 05:27 PM
I do. Solid hustler and had heart. Was brought in as a striker which he obv wasn't good at, but I thought he was a solid attacking mid type player.

kaos197O
03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm happy for Chad. He's going to do well in LA. He fits their system very well. Looking forward to seeing him in April. Will enjoy very much seeing how our defense will cope with the pairing especially if Donovan and Beckham are in the lineup.

I'll miss him, but he's better off there. His career has a chance to flourish under that system and working with that kind of talent.

Wishing you the best Chad!

Shakes McQueen
03-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Hard-nosed worker in his time here, a passionate player, and for periods last season was one of the better players on the field for us. I wish him the best.

I'm not sure if service was his big problem, but it's not like he's going to say his problem is that he can't hit the net consistently, haha.

- Scott

DangerRed
03-10-2011, 06:00 PM

That's a shitty attitude to have for a guy who gave every last drop for the club, even though he wasn't the most skillful.

I personally think this is his breakout year.

Also:

"The Galaxy's new forward looks around and sees David Beckham and Landon Donovan sending him passes, and looks to his left and sees Juan Pablo Angel."

Sorry, remind me again who we have up top?

Wull
03-10-2011, 06:15 PM
He won me over last season when his composure increased in front of goal but I can't remember these incisive runs that were being missed he's talking about

ilikemusic
03-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Barrett is going to tear it up in LA (much like every striker who leaves TFC does).

And it is no coincidence that when Barrett went down last season, the team hit its annual 'post friendlies' nose dive.

jloome
03-10-2011, 06:16 PM
He's right about having better service at LA. He's a whiny bitch for suggesting he didn't have chances in Toronto. So it's a mixed bag of general pre-season irrelevancy.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-10-2011, 06:20 PM
He's right about having better service at LA. He's a whiny bitch for suggesting he didn't have chances in Toronto. So it's a mixed bag of general pre-season irrelevancy.

yep pretty much, we'd be foolish to compare lady donovan and secksy becksy to anyone we currently have or had when barrett was here

Shakes McQueen
03-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Meh, I can't blame any offensive player for coming away from this club feeling frustrated - even if their claims are specious at best.

- Scott

carefree_cfc
03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
That's a shitty attitude to have for a guy who gave every last drop for the club, even though he wasn't the most skillful.

Just because they try hard doesn't mean we are obligated to miss them. Lombardo and Andy Welsh had good work ethics too but I don't miss them either. Barrett was notoriously underwhelming as a finisher and extremely frustrating to watch. As Soccer By Ives put it prior to the release of the MLS Schedule this year: "#MLSScheduleisLateBecause the league asked Chad Barrett to finish it and, well...."

Nodoubtguy
03-10-2011, 06:39 PM
wait....is service a new way of saying aim??

ExiledRed
03-10-2011, 06:43 PM
hahahahaha

This is the funniest shit I read all day.

I hope he does get better service, because he'll squander it to the point that he wont be getting played much anyway. He'll be fondly looking back at his TFC days then saying.

'Well at least at Toronto, they paid me huge and played me every week despite the fact that i'm actually fucking awful at football.'

Pigfynn
03-10-2011, 06:45 PM
LOL at anyone shitting on Chad.

The guy's point is bang on and he will do much better in a healthier team environment.

He gave every bit he had for this team and his team mates...sometimes this board just makes my head head hurt.

Who on our team right now besides maybe Gargan gives you even the slightest belief that they will fight for every ball, chase players down, play with fire every game?

Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BODY!

Good luck Chad.

ExiledRed
03-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Barrett's problem was never service, he didnt know where the fucking goal was and he didnt know how to hold his position long enough to get the fucking ball anyway.

jloome
03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Barrett's problem was never service, he didnt know where the fucking goal was and he didnt know how to hold his position long enough to get the fucking ball anyway.

After awhile, teams just realized they could push him wide. Half of Barrett's shit strike rate was positioning. He knew how to make some space and even to get behind backlines somewhat, but most of the time, they marked him to an acute angle, so that it was very tough to hit empty net.

Pigfynn
03-10-2011, 07:05 PM
If you guys don't think he'll score more at LA with the service that he'll get, well, I just don't know what to say to that except I think you're very wrong.

He may need 4 chances to score one, but he'll get 4 chances very, very often.

I bet he scores 10-14 this year.

Shway
03-10-2011, 07:23 PM
There is a reason he wasn't getting the ball. DeRo shooting from 35 meters out may not always appear to be the best play, but it was often better then the alternative.

true....VERY TRUE

the amount of times chad barret stumbled over his feet

Cashcleaner
03-10-2011, 07:23 PM
And just how often was Barrett given the ball with only a few yards to the net just to hesitate needlessly or kick it nervously wide of the target?

Sure, Barrett was improving last year, but let's not get carried away with his contributions.

Pachuco
03-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Here is what Barrett has said about his service at TFC:

Read the rest here: http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/ci_17579682

Sorry Chad...but it wasn't just about a lack of service. All you brought was run, run, run. You had plenty of chances at TFC and shit the bed more often than not.

Well, for the record. I'll miss Barrett, and I know alot of other people will as well.

J .
03-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Chad didnt really have someone to partner up with and was on pace for a 12-15 goal season before he got hurt. Its no surprise our slide coincided with his injury.

Darlofletch
03-10-2011, 08:06 PM
count me among those who miss barrett. last year under preki, we were obviously playing a more defensive system, and yet, he was good enough to be able to still do well in that system.

defences had to pay attention to him which opened up more space for other players, when he was out and everyone could concentrate on dero, and not have to worry about anyone else up front (ie obie, ibbe, peterson, those who weren't good enough to do well in a defensive system) the goals dried up for de ro as well. our record with chad was miles ahead of our record without chad last year.

doesn't mean he'd have fit in this year, and he's a bit overpaid, but to suggest he's as much of a waste of space as some poeple here are doing is frankly ridiculous.

rocker
03-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Dero's gonna miss Chad, as Chad set him up many a time for a sure goal.

Dunc
03-10-2011, 08:25 PM
I did really like the guy but I think he's having a bit of selective memory.

Has anyone made an updated mixtape of his shocking missed opportunities from his time here? The one of his Chicago days was pretty funny

ExiledRed
03-10-2011, 08:29 PM
If you guys don't think he'll score more at LA with the service that he'll get, well, I just don't know what to say to that except I think you're very wrong.

He may need 4 chances to score one, but he'll get 4 chances very, very often.

I bet he scores 10-14 this year.

I dont think he'll score more, because I dont think he'll start very often. He's not good enough to be any more than a depth player at LA.

This scoring of 1 in 4 chances is romantic, Chad squandered five out of six sitters. Few strikers would get away with some of the absolute unmissable opportunities he well....missed.

A lot of those missed opportunities were the difference between the playoffs and where we ended up.

That he got so many chances to miss should tell you he got service after all.

What he just said to the press after all the money and opportunities he got here in addition to the support he still gets from the chad-ettes on this board, makes him a bit of a cunt if you ask me.

mlg_acc99
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
He had his moments, and sure he played hard. But I can't recall a guy in the league who missed an open net in 2009 more than Chad. So frustrating..

TFCRegina
03-10-2011, 08:53 PM
We could make a lowlight reel of Barrett's misses when he did get delivery...

KezmanCCCC
03-10-2011, 08:59 PM
barrett was a decent player for us and did his job the best he could... it would have been nice to still have him.... he was a hard worker and played with alot of hart... i wish him well with LA....

Derko
03-10-2011, 09:08 PM

I wouldn't say whiny bitch.

:scarf:

Mikey
03-10-2011, 09:11 PM
I will miss Barndoor Barrett's work ethic, but not his annoying habit of going one on one with the keeper and then shooting the ball right at him.

swan
03-10-2011, 10:02 PM
i think he would have done well in this system out wide feeding the ball in i wish he was still here..

ag futbol
03-10-2011, 10:25 PM
well there you have it from Chad "breaking out next year since 2006" Barrett.

good luck in LA...

Zeke_Jones
03-10-2011, 10:51 PM
He will probably end up scoring 2 goals when TFC plays LA because thats just how shit TFC really is...

ExiledRed
03-10-2011, 11:26 PM
He will probably end up scoring 2 goals when TFC plays LA because thats just how shit TFC really is...

you mean when TFC reserves play LA reserves?

Waggy
03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't get the vitriol. Was the guy the greatest? Not even close. He was incredibly frustrating to watch in front of the net. Did he give everything for the club, do whatever was asked and never cause any problems off the field? Yes. How many current or former players can we say that about? Whether or not he scores more in LA or doesn't, why the hatred? All he did was come in, work hard and keep his mouth shut. Isn't that what we want from players? If we're hating people for not being as talented as we want them to be then I guess we all hate every single member of Toronto FC, and I have no idea why any of us watch MLS at all. Or any team outside of the top few clubs in the world

TFCRegina
03-10-2011, 11:59 PM
I don't get the vitriol. Was the guy the greatest? Not even close. He was incredibly frustrating to watch in front of the net. Did he give everything for the club, do whatever was asked and never cause any problems off the field? Yes. How many current or former players can we say that about? Whether or not he scores more in LA or doesn't, why the hatred? All he did was come in, work hard and keep his mouth shut. Isn't that what we want from players? If we're hating people for not being as talented as we want them to be then I guess we all hate every single member of Toronto FC, and I have no idea why any of us watch MLS at all. Or any team outside of the top few clubs in the world

Not hating Chad for his effort here. Hating him because he's complaining he didn't get delivery here.

Chad had plenty of delivery in 2009, and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in broad day light and perfect weather conditions. To bitch about delivery of the ball is a joke. The only player Chad had to blame for his lack of finish was himself.

Waggy
03-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Not hating Chad for his effort here. Hating him because he's complaining he didn't get delivery here.

Chad had plenty of delivery in 2009, and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in broad day light and perfect weather conditions. To bitch about delivery of the ball is a joke. The only player Chad had to blame for his lack of finish was himself.

Why hate him for that though? Like Shake said, what's the guy supposed to say when the media people there ask him about his lack of finishing in Toronto? "Well, it's mostly cause I'm shite in front of goal"? He has to say something. Besides while I agree with you that the claim is ridiculous, the fact of the matter is the quality of service he'll be getting in LA is immeasurably better then what it was here, so who knows, maybe he'll be proven right in the end.

Serb_Star
03-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Probably the most frustrating TFC player to watch.

TFCRegina
03-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Why hate him for that though? Like Shake said, what's the guy supposed to say when the media people there ask him about his lack of finishing in Toronto? "Well, it's mostly cause I'm shite in front of goal"? He has to say something. Besides while I agree with you that the claim is ridiculous, the fact of the matter is the quality of service he'll be getting in LA is immeasurably better then what it was here, so who knows, maybe he'll be proven right in the end.

Would have got a laugh out of me.

I would have chalked it up to luck and bounces...and quickly changed the topic.

J .
03-11-2011, 01:44 AM
If he finished many of those chances he would have 20 goals yes, but still he was on pace for 12-15. Very respectable in MLS.

prizby
03-11-2011, 07:15 AM
chad forget the number of times he blew the ball over the net...probably effects the number of times he gets the ball

scooter
03-11-2011, 09:21 AM
chad barrett played his heart out for the badge
sure some days he could not hit a barn door
but he played his heart out for our club

wish him all the best for the future and move on

Roogsy
03-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Initially I was a little annoyed at the comment, but then I realized, despite the fact that he had the touch of a jackhammer, is his comment really that inaccurate? Did he ever have good service? That has always been a problem with this team.

Yes...if he would have had good service more often than not he would have done nothing with it I agree. But that's irrelevant to his statement, here he is going to get more chances of better quality and while most of them are going to be wasted, it still is a a numbers game and his stats will improve regardless.

mastermixer
03-11-2011, 10:08 AM
How is it that Barret was let go from TFC for cap space when LA was able to squeeze him in along with some of the highest paid players in the league?

Pigfynn
03-11-2011, 10:17 AM
^^ Because there is a tremendous amount of bullshit that goes on where LA and NY are concerned. The league's biggest commodities

P-NUTZ
03-11-2011, 12:56 PM
chad was one of the most productive players from any tfc roster.
i thought he was solid player - class act and competitor.
and he did score one of - if not the best - tfc goals ive ever seen in the ccl at home.

Technorgasm
03-11-2011, 02:51 PM
hahahahaha

'Well at least at Toronto, they paid me huge and played me every week despite the fact that i'm actually fucking awful at football.'

Great effort, poor in front of goal. he was a good player for us . . but hsi shortfalls were holding us back, esp his salary.

I have no Ill will towards the guy, but any more coments like this and I will. lol

he scored 2 VERY important goals for us, and I will remember them fondly. Good luck chad.

ginkster88
03-11-2011, 03:40 PM

Level 5 leaders look out the window when accepting praise and in the mirror when taking criticism.

Chad should have said that he could have been better and left the team out of it.

Those are the players I want.

I'm being partly facetious with the Good to Great reference; that is one of the few tangible points that I took from it.

Gazza
03-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't think it's a secret that the service to TFC strikers is piss-poor. I still think it's something you keep to yourself. He might not have meant it that way, but it sounds like a shot. Now, usually Chad Barrett shots miss the net, but he was dead-on with this one.

Alonso
03-11-2011, 04:08 PM
How is it that Barret was let go from TFC for cap space when LA was able to squeeze him in along with some of the highest paid players in the league?

Yeah man, things are not adding up properly here. I would love to see the books and find out how the hell this is possible...

ExiledRed
03-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Great effort, poor in front of goal. he was a good player for us . . but hsi shortfalls were holding us back, esp his salary.

I have no Ill will towards the guy, but any more coments like this and I will. lol

he scored 2 VERY important goals for us, and I will remember them fondly. Good luck chad.

Giles, drop the lipstick and step away from the pig.

Brooker
03-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Good luck to him.

canadian_bhoy
03-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Love it. It's always someone elses fault. He didn't get the service he needed...whaaa.

Maybe people didn't pass him the ball because he couldn't hit the wide side of a barn.

Technorgasm
03-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Giles, drop the lipstick and step away from the pig.

Love it. It's always someone elses fault. He didn't get the service he needed...whaaa.

Maybe people didn't pass him the ball because he couldn't hit the wide side of a barn.

BAH!!! hahahahaha.

When will someone OTHER than dero hit double digits?

cmonyoureds
03-11-2011, 05:41 PM
maybe we should have this thread reopened at the end of the season to see what the outcome is, i'm betting Chad has a great season. and I'm sure somewhere Edson Buddle is laughing and telling Chad he's reached the promise land.

Stryker
03-11-2011, 05:52 PM
maybe we should have this thread reopened at the end of the season to see what the outcome is, i'm betting Chad has a great season. and I'm sure somewhere Edson Buddle is laughing and telling Chad he's reached the promise land.
I agree. I predict Chad will be good for .5 goals a game this season.

ag futbol
03-11-2011, 06:59 PM
^ So Barrett is going to be close to the leading scorer in MLS ? Has anyone actually looked at the quality of other strikers in this league and compared them to Chad Barrett?

http://www.kaitaia.com/funny/g2/d/16950-1/skeptical-cat-is-fraught-with-skepticism.jpg

Yohan
03-11-2011, 07:08 PM
^ So Barrett is going to be close to the leading scorer in MLS ? Has anyone actually looked at the quality of other strikers in this league and compared them to Chad Barrett?

http://www.kaitaia.com/funny/g2/d/16950-1/skeptical-cat-is-fraught-with-skepticism.jpg
no one expected Wondo or Le Toux to put in 15+ goals last year either *shrug*

brad
03-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Yeah man, things are not adding up properly here. I would love to see the books and find out how the hell this is possible...

I thought we we still on the hook for some of his salary.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-11-2011, 08:36 PM
nope, pretty sure they took him and we got an allocation which essentially makes it nil

ExiledRed
03-11-2011, 08:47 PM
no one expected Wondo or Le Toux to put in 15+ goals last year either *shrug*

I will wager you $20 and a beer that Barrett will start less than half the games for LA this season and will score less than 7 league goals if he lasts the full season.

Yohan
03-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I will wager you $20 and a beer that Barrett will start less than half the games for LA this season and will score less than 7 league goals if he lasts the full season.
you're on

Milky
03-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Whatever. Barrett has to make himself look good for his new employers after a disappointing spell overall in Toronto. But it doesn't matter. I don't think he was an essential part of the puzzle so in that sense he won't be missed, and also Toronto FC are going to employ a completely different system to what LA will, so if Chad finds success there then good for him. You can't compare the two teams and now that he's gone it's time to look forwards anyway.

brad
03-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Barrett needed what, twenty clear cut chances to score a goal? Pretty obvious then that if TFC could have created another couple hundred chances for him he would have scored another five:-)

drexel10
03-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Barrett needed what, twenty clear cut chances to score a goal? Pretty obvious then that if TFC could have created another couple hundred chances for him he would have scored another five:-)

At least he could create chances, Gordon and Martina will NOT be creating many chances for us.

kaos197O
03-12-2011, 12:32 PM
At least he could create chances, Gordon and Martina will NOT be creating many chances for us.
This!

People squak about all the squandered chances Barrett had but were, and are, unable to see that those chances came to him because he created them. He made good runs into space off the ball. It was those very runs that opened up space for Dero to have a breakout year in the Goal scoring department. And it is true that time and time again we saw him wide open only to witness Dero or Deguz sky another shot 50 yards over the bar.

Whatever happens in LA Barrett will do well, whether he is scoring the goals or whether he's simply tiring out the opposing teams defense and Angel, Beckham and Donovan are scoring the goals, it really doesn't matter.

I hope he has a breakthrough year, for his sake. In my opinion he deserves it. I'd take him back here in a heartbeat.