PDA

View Full Version : Saputo Stadium expansion plans announced

Canuck82
03-09-2011, 04:28 PM
http://www.montrealgazette.com/Saputo+Stadium+seats+ahead+Impact+joining/4411431/story.html (http://www.montrealgazette.com/Saputo+Stadium+seats+ahead+Impact+joining/4411431/story.html)

http://www.montrealimpact.com/PepePhoto/Default.aspx?language=EN

20,000+ seats plus a roof - ready for the start of the 2012 season

Joe Kool
03-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Looks good. Envious of the roof...

billyfly
03-09-2011, 04:32 PM
“Today, we are presenting you a major league stadium for a major league city,” Joey Saputo

So what does that make us?

Oldtimer
03-09-2011, 04:37 PM
^ A discount CSA planned stadium for a major league city.

Cas87
03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
^^ A PDL city with a CFL stadium

LittleOzzy
03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Looks great.

I can understand leaving the one corner open, but the other side looks like it could wrap around.

Whoop
03-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Lisa: What's so special about this game, anyway? It's just another chapter in the pointless rivalry between Springfield and Shelbyville. They built a mini mall, so we built a bigger mini mall. They made the world's largest pizza, so we burnt down their City Hall.

C.Ronaldo
03-09-2011, 04:52 PM
what the HELL!

MLSE, I hope you are already working on drawings

C.Ronaldo
03-09-2011, 04:54 PM
heads up

LOSERVILLE!!!!

http://www.montrealimpact.com/PepePhoto/Images/P5-4328.jpg

moralis
03-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Found this tweet interesting in Chris Rugel's (Roogsy) twitter page: Comes from Paul Beirne: Toronto FC and a roof that we won't get until Mayor Rob Ford is done as Mayor of Toronto

@Paulbeirne (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne) Hah! I've met Ford. There's only one "football" to him. You'll get a roof the day you open the stadium to the Argos. 5 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/Roogsy/status/45590675437264896) via ÜberSocial (http://ubersocial.com/) in reply to Paulbeirne (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne/status/45589679902433281)

http://twitter.com/Roogsy

http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne

Whoop
03-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Doesn't say how much the expansion and roof costs.

Waggy
03-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Found this tweet interesting in Chris Rugel's (Roogsy) twitter page: Comes from Paul Beirne: Toronto FC and a roof that we won't get until Mayor Rob Ford is done as Mayor of Toronto

@Paulbeirne (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne) Hah! I've met Ford. There's only one "football" to him. You'll get a roof the day you open the stadium to the Argos. 5 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/Roogsy/status/45590675437264896) via ÜberSocial (http://ubersocial.com/) in reply to Paulbeirne (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne/status/45589679902433281)

http://twitter.com/Roogsy

http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne

Actually that means it was from Roogsy to Paul Beirne. Not vice versa. While I respect what Roogs has to say (unless its about Dero), him saying it is QUITE far from Paul saying it

moralis
03-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Sorry about that, thought it came from Paul Beirne. Thanks for the correction. Even though it came from Roogsy, I'm pretty sure we are not getting a roof or an expanded stadium while Rob Ford is Mayor. Hope I am wrong.

Beach_Red
03-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Sorry about that, thought it came from Paul Beirne. Thanks for the correction. Even though it came from Roogsy, I'm pretty sure we are not getting a roof or an expanded stadium while Rob Ford is Mayor. Hope I am wrong.

Well, the city isn't going to pay for it while Ford is mayor but they probably wouldn't stand in the way if someone else wanted to pay for it.

Suds
03-09-2011, 05:44 PM

Why should the city pay for it anyway? (regardless of who is Mayor) They already forked out money for the initial build of BMO. If MLSE wants a roof they can put up the $$.

Besides, if there is any more development at BMO it will only happen if they are guaranteed the Winter Classic outdoor hockey game for the Leafs 100th anniversary/50 years without a Cup celebration. Until then I doubt there will be any further investment in BMO.

Whoop
03-09-2011, 05:50 PM
So you're looking at about the 2016 season.

So another 5 years.

drexel10
03-09-2011, 06:01 PM
How about the Pan Am games? I htought they might spruce it up a bit (small expansion or roof) for that.

Suds
03-09-2011, 06:02 PM
So you're looking at about the 2016 season.

So another 5 years.

For any major investments that's what I think they will do. Makes better business sense to tie a large investment to another event to help recoup the costs. Add the fact MLSE will be pumping any level of government who will listen to "partner" with them on the project.

MLSE has already made some investments into BMO with added seating, installing grass with world class heating & drainage system, player dugouts so the view of people in club seating is not blocked. (even thought the players never sit there :D)

I think MLSE is done for the time being with any larger investments in BMO field.

Suds
03-09-2011, 06:03 PM
How about the Pan Am games? I htought they might spruce it up a bit (small expansion or roof) for that.

Never thought of that. I'm sure if there's public money set aside for the they can get there hands on MLSE will be looking at it.

redcard
03-09-2011, 06:14 PM
hmmm...for those of us that have been to saputo..you may recall no concession or washrooms under the bleachers!!!

I still dont see them...i wonder it will still be gravel under the stands!!...no impressed considering what new jersey shitbulls have done!

nfitz
03-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Well, the city isn't going to pay for it while Ford is mayor but they probably wouldn't stand in the way if someone else wanted to pay for it.Oh, I don't know ...

... the guy is pretty stupid (and I mean a below average intelligence). If we tell him it's a football stadium and not elaborate, perhaps he can spare some of his gravy to keep us dry.

Shway
03-10-2011, 02:23 AM
Saputo stadium really is a glorified high school football stadium...

when i look at all the new stadias being built in the mls, im like "bmo is a piece of shit"
but when you look at bmo, then look at saputo....im grateful, couldnt be any worse then saputa stadium

J .
03-10-2011, 02:28 AM
I bet ford sells the stadium to MLSE before his term is up.

Shakes McQueen
03-10-2011, 07:54 AM

MLSE won't want to buy it, unless it also included full rights to the land it sits on.

BMO Field isn't the class of the league as a stadium, but I still think the location is unmatched, and largely makes up for a lot of the shortcomings.

One day we will have more seats and a roof at BMO, but the rest of the stadiums in this league will still be located in the middle of nowhere, or the burbs.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
03-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Well, the city isn't going to pay for it while Ford is mayor but they probably wouldn't stand in the way if someone else wanted to pay for it.

MLSE would have to have brass balls for even considering hitting the city up for more money. C'mon guys, the stadium was gift-wrapped and handed to the club on a silver platter. It shouldn't be beyond reason for the owners to pony up the cash for a roof. After all, Joey Saputo has invested almost the same amount of his own personal cash into the Impact's home as MLSE did for BMO Field (roughly 8 million).

Shakes McQueen
03-10-2011, 08:12 AM
MLSE would have to have brass balls for even considering hitting the city up for more money. C'mon guys, the stadium was gift-wrapped and handed to the club on a silver platter. It shouldn't be beyond reason for the owners to pony up the cash for a roof. After all, Joey Saputo has invested almost the same amount of his own personal cash into the Impact's home as MLSE did for BMO Field (roughly 8 million).

In fairness to MLSE, they are currently looking to invest several million dollars into a bonafide academy, and Saputo is not.

Adding a roof to BMO doesn't make a ton of sense, until the stadium's size is settled for a while, which if rumours are to be believed, is not the case right now.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
03-10-2011, 08:38 AM
In fairness to MLSE, they are currently looking to invest several million dollars into a bonafide academy, and Saputo is not.

Adding a roof to BMO doesn't make a ton of sense, until the stadium's size is settled for a while, which if rumours are to be believed, is not the case right now.

- Scott

The Trois-Riviere Attak had been their academy/feeder team since 2006 and now Saputo is building a new Impact Academy from the ground up. I think it's a good bet that they already have already plans lined up for a dedicated training facility in the near future.

The TFC Academy plan is solid, but the process seems to be getting dragged out, again.

drewski
03-10-2011, 08:40 AM

- Scott

IMO, that's the rigth priority. roof will be nice, but a pro-style training center/academy will have a far more lasting impact on the field

Canuck82
03-10-2011, 09:07 AM
In terms of additional concessions - they do mention it in their press release:

"There will also be a total of three entrances to the stadium. The two existing access points will be reworked and a third access point will be created along Viau Boulevard. The stadium will also see an increase in concession points of sale, increasing from 27 to 100 locations. The two existing boutiques will remain in place, while the West plaza will be reorganized.

In order to accommodate the business community, the revamped stadium will also include more corporate boxes, jumping from 16 to 40."

When you think that BMO Field cost $62.5 million to build, Saputo Stadium is pretty good value for money - costing only $40 million with the expansion (17 million for phase 1 - all private/Saputo money, and 23 million for the phase 2 expansion - all coming from the Quebec government)

Beach_Red
03-10-2011, 09:16 AM

Maybe, but we're also just going to have to live with the fact that the Quebec government is going to spend more money on this kind of thing - they always have.

As for the comment about Saputo being a high school stadium, right now MLS is a high school league. If the league continues to grow then Saputo will grow as well or the Quebec government will do some huge renovation to Olympique stadium.

In the meantime, what happens to the TFC academy plans if MLSE can't find a partner willing to put up enough money? Will they do it on their own?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Maybe, but we're also just going to have to live with the fact that the Quebec government is going to spend more money on this kind of thing - they always have.

sabre rattling separatism does wonders

Beach_Red
03-10-2011, 09:33 AM
sabre rattling separatism does wonders

No, that gets them their federal money ;). It's feeling like an isolated, under-siege minority in the vast North America that gets them their provincial money.

boban
03-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Why should the city pay for it anyway? (regardless of who is Mayor) They already forked out money for the initial build of BMO. If MLSE wants a roof they can put up the $$.

Besides, if there is any more development at BMO it will only happen if they are guaranteed the Winter Classic outdoor hockey game for the Leafs 100th anniversary/50 years without a Cup celebration. Until then I doubt there will be any further investment in BMO.
I agree with this on both points.
Look at other MLS soccer stadiums and investment of public vs. private in them. Everywhere where public funds were involved the owners were asked to fork over a bigger percentage of funds. We as a city got screwed with this stadium in this respect and MLSE investment. They invested minimum, and we got a bare minimum stadium.
Heck, Houston ownership is paying for the actual structure completely by themselves. Man if Miller had the balls to get just another $15m or so out of MLSE for this stadium we would had have a nice gem.

boban
03-10-2011, 09:43 AM
The NSS got double public funds the Quebec gov. investmented in Saputo.

As for the comment about Saputo being a high school stadium, right now MLS is a high school league. If the league continues to grow then Saputo will grow as well or the Quebec government will do some huge renovation to Olympique stadium.
Agree. And if that is high school stadium, what the heck do you call our stadium!!
At the end of the day it looks like they get a lot more bang for the buck from their stadium than we get from the NSS. Saputo looks very much like a European stadium, nice clean lines, symmetry, filled in corner, and a roof.

boban
03-10-2011, 09:45 AM

when i look at all the new stadias being built in the mls, im like "bmo is a piece of shit"
but when you look at bmo, then look at saputo....im grateful, couldnt be any worse then saputa stadium
Do you have any concept of aesthetics?

Cashcleaner
03-10-2011, 09:46 AM

The Quebec government didn't give Saputo a dime initially. The whole stadium was built with his money and private financiers. From the looks of it, the expansion will receive some subsidies, however I would wager that once the tools are put down, Saputo and his business partners would have still invested a far larger stake in the venue than MLSE did with BMO Field.

I don't want to get all negative on the club like this before the season even starts, but the club paid as little as it could get away with for the stadium and it shows. Stade Saputo, on the other hand, looks like it could be quite the facility and I think part of that has to do with the confidence Saputo has in the organization and their mandate.

rocker
03-10-2011, 09:48 AM
When you think that BMO Field cost $62.5 million to build, Saputo Stadium is pretty good value for money - costing only $40 million with the expansion (17 million for phase 1 - all private/Saputo money, and 23 million for the phase 2 expansion - all coming from the Quebec government)

the big difference in price is in the size of the facilities building I think. BMO Field's facilities building is much larger than the one at Saputo. I think it's also cheaper to go with single decks around.

Plus, when you run the Montreal mafia you can get cheap labour :boxing: ..... ZING!

boban
03-10-2011, 09:49 AM

- Scott
Saputo is just getting into the game. Do you have some privy knowledge of his long term plans and investments into the game???

Beach_Red
03-10-2011, 09:51 AM
The Quebec government didn't give Saputo a dime initially. The whole stadium was built with his money and private financiers. From the looks of it, the expansion will receive some subsidies, however I would wager that once the tools are put down, Saputo and his business partners would have still invested a far larger stake in the venue than MLSE did with BMO Field.

The Quebec government has been a sponsor at Saputo for years and do we really know what kind of tax advantages Saputo got for his investments?

And it's early days. If a team from Quebec competes in a major North American league (and in Mexico and Central America) the Quebec government is going to invest in them. They lost the Nordiques and the Expos, if soccer becomes a big sport in North America Quebec will spend the money. Just like Quebec actually has a viable movie industry - it really is a different culture.

Roogsy
03-10-2011, 09:52 AM

Yeah, it was part of a little back and forth with Paul. I was just giving him a little *nudge nudge wink wink* about Montreal getting a roof and us not having one. You gotta keep giving them little reminders that we want one so that one day hopefully it happens. Unfortunately, his point about the city is valid. No way the city is going to give more money for BMO since there isn't any reason to and Ford is not a soccer fan anyways. His concentration right now is on bringing in the NFL to Toronto. :rolleyes:

rocker
03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
apparently the roof there will cover about 35% of the fans (almost 7000 seats will be covered).

Roogsy
03-10-2011, 09:54 AM

He can't. As Shakes rightly pointed out, it's on city land, land which the city has never chosen to sell to anyone. The CNE is almost a sacred cow that will be the last thing the city ever sells.

Shakes McQueen
03-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Saputo is just getting into the game. Do you have some privy knowledge of his long term plans and investments into the game???

My point was that it isn't like MLSE are just sitting on a pile of money, and not investing into anything for the club. Saputo is investing in a roof. MLSE are looking to build an academy ground.

Saputo may very well build an academy ground of his own, just as I'm going to go out on a limb and say a roof is in BMO's future at some point down the line.

And "Saputo is just getting in the game" is a bit disingenuous. The Impact have been around for a while, and TFC were not, before entering MLS.

- Scott

Roogsy
In either case...the plans for Saputo look nice and I will admit that I am envious.

boban
the big difference in price is in the size of the facilities building I think. BMO Field's facilities building is much larger than the one at Saputo. I think it's also cheaper to go with single decks around.

But it ain't $23m worth

menefreghista
03-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Again, lets not give MLSE credit for a training ground until we see how much they are really investing in it and how much they are trying to swindle from some municipality.

rocker
03-10-2011, 09:57 AM
He can't. As Shakes rightly pointed out, it's on city land, land which the city has never chosen to sell to anyone. The CNE is almost a sacred cow that will be the last thing the city ever sells.

the way Ford is bulldozing through everything and trying to have his way in the face of democracy, you never know.....

rocker
03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
But it ain't $23m worth

This ain't 2006 either. And Quebec ain't Ontario. Costs are different in different places in different years.

Also, the original cost of Saputo stadium was paid for with private money, so there's no proof the original numbers are accurate. We just have to trust Joey Saputo. The cost of BMO field is clearly known because of the public money donated to the construction.

Anyways, the difference in facilities buildings could be 10 million. And then the cost of building a double decker stand certainly adds money. Plus the demolition of the old CNE building that was on site.

Cashcleaner
03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
The Quebec government has been a sponsor at Saputo for years and do we really know what kind of tax advantages Saputo got for his investments?

And it's early days. If a team from Quebec competes in a major North American league (and in Mexico and Central America) the Quebec government is going to invest in them. They lost the Nordiques and the Expos, if soccer becomes a big sport in North America Quebec will spend the money. Just like Quebec actually has a viable movie industry - it really is a different culture.

That's a fair point about the provincial government sponsring them. I don't know the numbers off-hand, but I do know that Hydro Quebec is probably their biggest contributor, though.

Shakes McQueen
03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
In either case...the plans for Saputo look nice and I will admit that I am envious.

The roof does look nice. I'm happy that they are building it - any money invested into MLS's teams and grounds only helps the league in the long run.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
03-10-2011, 10:05 AM
the way Ford is bulldozing through everything and trying to have his way in the face of democracy, you never know.....

A little melodramatic, no? The man was elected by a landslide on a platform specifically to cut spending, so I don't see how he's doing anything other than carrying out the will of the electorate.

boban
03-10-2011, 10:15 AM
No way the city is going to give more money for BMO ...
Who's asking the city to?
Its time MLSe pays its fair share for the stadium that is raking in millions for them.

boban
03-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Again, lets not give MLSE credit for a training ground until we see how much they are really investing in it and how much they are trying to swindle from some municipality.
Exactly.
Too many times too much credit and praise is given to MLSE around here.

Alixir
03-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Its time MLSe pays its fair share for the stadium that is raking in millions for them.exactly what I was thinking...I wonder when MLSE will pony up and buy some property and build a stadium for their soccer team. Oh thats right that would mean spending money as opposed to only generating revenue. It boggles my mind that MLSE with all its money would even need city money to fund a stadium that their team is the primary user of. How much money did the city kick in for the ACC?

boban
03-10-2011, 10:24 AM
How much money did the city kick in for the ACC?
Nothing. That was all privately funded.
Then again it has 2 tenants for at least 45 nights a year each in it.

Alixir
03-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Then again it has 2 tenants for at least 45 nights a year each in it.true enough.

Whoop
03-10-2011, 10:29 AM
MLSE won't want to buy it, unless it also included full rights to the land it sits on.

BMO Field isn't the class of the league as a stadium, but I still think the location is unmatched, and largely makes up for a lot of the shortcomings.

One day we will have more seats and a roof at BMO, but the rest of the stadiums in this league will still be located in the middle of nowhere, or the burbs.

- Scott

I agree the location of BMO - for me - is key.

Could it be more aesthetically pleasing? Sure. But really as long as the pitch is in good condition really that's all that matters.

Whoop
03-10-2011, 10:32 AM

This is true. They do it for sports and they do it for film.

Though part of me believes that the biggest reason they do so is to promote the Quebec identity, which really there isn't anything wrong with that.

Beach_Red
03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
This is true. They do it for sports and they do it for film.

Though part of me believes that the biggest reason they do so is to promote the Quebec identity, which really there isn't anything wrong with that.

Oh, there's no question that's the biggest reason they do it - to promote that identity outside of Quebec and within Quebec. But there's a lot of support within in Quebec for them to do that, it's not something they're forcing on people.

And soccer will probably get a lot of government support in Quebec because it's a worldwide game and not seen as mostly "American" like baseball.

rocker
03-10-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm curious to see if Montreal in MLS brings in a lot of French league players. It would seem a natural friendship to make that other MLS teams cannot do (at least not as easily). It would also create a pipeline between France and MLS (some players may get traded around). This could help talent levels increase despite expansion diluting the NA player pool.

Shakes McQueen
03-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Quebec finances cultural events arguably to the detriment of more prudent things. Not sure if you've seen the condition of a Quebec highway recently...

- Scott

Beach_Red
03-10-2011, 11:06 AM
^ Ha, yeah that's true. But it's the choice they make, the priorities they have. I lived in Montreal for 30 years, there's no doubt they aren't always prudent.

Alixir
03-10-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm curious to see if Montreal in MLS brings in a lot of French league players. It would seem a natural friendship to make that other MLS teams cannot do (at least not as easily). It would also create a pipeline between France and MLS (some players may get traded around). This could help talent levels increase despite expansion diluting the NA player pool.I thought Quebec was the anti-France....I could be wrong though. Hopefully it does bring some talent from France. Basically anything that can help the development of our own Canadian players is good in my books.

Alixir
03-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Not sure if you've seen the condition of a Quebec highway recently...

- ScottThe fact that you can drive from one side of Quebec to the other side without seeing a cop car is always nice though.

ginkster88
03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
The French hate the Quebecois, and as a result the reverse is also true. That's the dynamic.

Shakes McQueen
03-10-2011, 11:16 AM
The fact that you can drive from one side of Quebec to the other side without seeing a cop car is always nice though.

The falling chunks of concrete and exposed rebar on the highway overpasses, not so much. :D

- Scott

rocker
03-10-2011, 11:24 AM
The French hate the Quebecois, and as a result the reverse is also true. That's the dynamic.

I doubt any hate will stop Saputo from signing French players ;)
But the language will make things easier.

Also, why did Saputo bring NYRB in for a friendly? Thierry Henry.

Alixir
03-10-2011, 11:28 AM
I doubt any hate will stop Saputo from signing French players ;)
But the language will make things easier.

Also, why did Saputo bring NYRB in for a friendly? Thierry Henry.not really as the language police in Quebec are trying to make everything sound as far from France-french as they can get. Players coming from France will have to learn their own language over again.

rocker
03-10-2011, 11:32 AM
not really as the language police in Quebec are trying to make everything sound as far from France-french as they can get. Players coming from France will have to learn their own language over again.

all languages have their varieties, of course.
sometimes I can barely understand the English spoken in parts of England!

I think if I moved to Liverpool I'd have to learn English all over again.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
03-10-2011, 12:54 PM

After all of the great times we have had there, how can any TFC fan possibly hate on Saputo Stadium? It's home field advantage for TFC on the pitch and for TFC supporters in the stands (and around the exits, and in the car parks, and on the subways). CMNT vs. Honduras is another story.

jaahuuu
03-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I thought Quebec was the anti-France....I could be wrong though. Hopefully it does bring some talent from France. Basically anything that can help the development of our own Canadian players is good in my books.
I don't think they hate the French very much, at least when it comes to football. When they played the French Super Cup in Olympic Stadium in 2009 it set an attendance record.

Cashcleaner
03-10-2011, 03:30 PM
The relationship between the Quebecois and Continental French is more one of ambivilence than a love/hate sorta thing. The Quebecois see themselves as just that - Quebecois. The fact that they speak French still doesn't give them any particular connection to the motherland.

Roogsy
03-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Its time MLSe pays its fair share for the stadium that is raking in millions for them.

So let me get thsi straight. You're renting a house from someone and the roof needs fixing and instead of getting the owner to pay for it, you'd pay for it yourself?

And that's why you will never run MLSE. :lol:

Shakes McQueen
03-10-2011, 03:47 PM
So let me get thsi straight. You're renting a house from someone and the roof needs fixing and instead of getting the owner to pay for it, you'd pay for it yourself?

Yep, haha.

When you consider that MLSE don't actually own the building or the land, we've actually done alright so far with the new pitch, and current/planned seat expansions.

Much of this was probably due to supporter outcry and an eye on future profitability, certainly not altruism on the part of ownership, but it did get done. I'd be shocked if we didn't have a roof or plans to add a roof within ten years.

There aren't many stadiums that go through this kind of remodelling and upheaval so early into their lifespans.

- Scott

Rudi
03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
There's a ton of misinformation going on in this thread.

MLSE didn't "swindle" the City into building BMO Field for them, the City had less than a year to build a pre-approved, partially-funded stadium and went hat-in-hand to MLSE.

BMO Field sits on City land (Exhibition Place) that the City is actually not allowed to sell. Henceforth, the City owns BMO Field and MLSE runs it.

Also, the City didn't "pay" anything toward BMO Field. They donated a vacant plot of land upon which two previous stadia had once stood.

If MLSE truly had their way, TFC would have been playing at a privately-funded 25,000 seat stadium at Bloor & Devonshire. That stadium would have had all the bells and whistles (although it would have been shared with U of T, which is not a good thing)

Instead, the stadium project bounced from Exhibition Place, to U of T, to York and back to Exhibition Place. BMO Field was largely built the way it was because of the ridiculous time constraints.

Oldtimer
03-10-2011, 04:02 PM
^ Thanks, Rudi, sometimes its good to just have some facts here.

It's a little more complex:

The French don't hate the Quebecois, they look down on them as ignorant peasants with bad grammar, all the while professing to admire the Quebecois as their "cousins."

The Quebecois think the French love them (they don't). They dislike the French for being pretentious and "snooty." They also think that the French don't do enough to protect the language because they use some English words like "stop" and "parking."

ManUtd4ever
03-10-2011, 04:06 PM
^ Thanks, Rudi, sometimes its good to just have some facts here.

It's a little more complex:

The French don't hate the Quebecois, they look down on them as ignorant peasants with bad grammar, all the while professing to admire the Quebecois as their "cousins."

The Quebecois think the French love them (they don't). They dislike the French for being pretentious and "snooty." They also think that the French don't do enough to protect the language because they use some English words like "stop" and "parking."

If you listen to the manner in which most teenagers speak in this country today, I would say both official languages have deteriorated. ;)

drewski
03-10-2011, 04:50 PM

given the roof is more of a luxury than a "fix" a more appropriate comparison would be asking your landlord to pay for a new deck.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-10-2011, 05:35 PM
No, that gets them their federal money ;). It's feeling like an isolated, under-siege minority in the vast North America that gets them their provincial money.
:D:D:D:D:D

menefreghista
03-10-2011, 05:50 PM

MLSE didn't "swindle" the City into building BMO Field for them, the City had less than a year to build a pre-approved, partially-funded stadium and went hat-in-hand to MLSE.

BMO Field sits on City land (Exhibition Place) that the City is actually not allowed to sell. Henceforth, the City owns BMO Field and MLSE runs it.

Also, the City didn't "pay" anything toward BMO Field. They donated a vacant plot of land upon which two previous stadia had once stood.

If MLSE truly had their way, TFC would have been playing at a privately-funded 25,000 seat stadium at Bloor & Devonshire. That stadium would have had all the bells and whistles (although it would have been shared with U of T, which is not a good thing)

Instead, the stadium project bounced from Exhibition Place, to U of T, to York and back to Exhibition Place. BMO Field was largely built the way it was because of the ridiculous time constraints.

This is not totally correct.

The City of Toronto did indeed chip in $10 million + the land.

This is the first I've ever heard of MLSE being interested in a privately funded stadium at the U of T. They were sniffing around when Argos/CSA were looking at the Varsity site though.

rocker
03-10-2011, 07:42 PM
The city chipped in 10 million, but it's a loan. They'll get that money back over the term of the agreement.

By the end of the agreement the City will have paid nothing for BMO Field.
Indeed, the way things are looking, with the great success of BMO beyond the original calculations, the city will actually be paid money for BMO Field.

Macksam
03-10-2011, 08:07 PM
The relationship between the Quebecois and Continental French is more one of ambivilence than a love/hate sorta thing. The Quebecois see themselves as just that - Quebecois. The fact that they speak French still doesn't give them any particular connection to the motherland.

That's better than the relationship between Canadians of non-British descent and the monarch, one of apathy.

KezmanCCCC
03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
the stadium really is going to look good... i was at stade saputo back in 2008 and it looked nice as is.... now its going to be amazing.... its going to be exciting when the limpact join mls....

TheKing7
03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm already picturing our 2012 away game in MTL
http://www.montrealimpact.com/PepePhoto/Images/12.jpg

The bottom left corner will be completely RED.

canadian_bhoy
03-10-2011, 09:29 PM
So TFC says they can't put a roof on BMO because the city owns it?
Didn't seem to stop them from ponying up money for the North Stand last year. Of course, that made them money - whereas a roof would only enhance the gameday experience for current fans.

TFC will only invest in BMO if it equals more money for them - and a roof doesn't do that (although the could probably sell hideous branding on the top of it).

rocker
03-10-2011, 09:44 PM
So TFC says they can't put a roof on BMO because the city owns it?

I don't remember TFC saying this.

Cashcleaner
03-10-2011, 10:00 PM

But I don't see how any of this should stop MLSE from trying to improve upon the current facility. Like Canadian_Bhoy mentioned, the city's ownership of the stadium didn't stop them (MLSE) from building the North Stand or replacing the artificial turf with grass. Those changes came about only after pressure exerted by some very vocal fans, players, and visiting organizations convinced the brass that it was in the best financial interests of the club.

You're right in that MLSE didn't swindle the city (or province or feds for that matter), but you can't deny the sweet-ass deal they did negotiate which landed them a brand-spanking new facility for a very small investment. Which, again, is why we should continue to press MLSE for more investment in the club and BMO Field.

Rudi
03-11-2011, 12:10 AM
This is not totally correct.

The City of Toronto did indeed chip in $10 million + the land.

This is the first I've ever heard of MLSE being interested in a privately funded stadium at the U of T. They were sniffing around when Argos/CSA were looking at the Varsity site though.
You have to remember where the Varsity location is. MLSE was looking at using the Bloor St. side as storefronts, for which they could have raked in millions in rent from upscale merchants.

That alone would have made it worth it.

FWIW, MLSE never had any real interest in teaming up with the Argos.

canadian_bhoy
03-11-2011, 08:32 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UK-T-JSUWiE/S-tD-pNkZsI/AAAAAAAAAEI/aIUSQvM0uCc/S1600-R/put-a-lid-on-it.jpg

tfcmanu
03-11-2011, 11:17 AM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/BMO.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/wyliepoon/2606699142_5888b1d6ba_o.jpghttp://www.mls-rumors.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/BMO3.jpghttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-HjOTouhXzdPtEDLjcP7LxIPcLhbQzjYrkzN9eBQlMBpp-FMpuw&t=1http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSy7z1BVIbXL-nMrwjWYu3y-EiDnpyDZgB62nzoVLqgOUHZf0uKdDlNtfICTQ

It's possible....The old Exhibition Stadium had a roof on one side! :scarf: