PDA

View Full Version : Houston, New York and Toronto all lose to USL today

jloome
07-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Red Bulls went down 2-0 to USL2 Crystal Palace USA, while Houston went out of the Cup to Charleston on Pks after a 1-1 draw. Reda got sent off in Extra Time.

Again, needs to be stated that USl footie and MLS aren't that different; a few major hits on the budget here and there is the big difference and that sometimes doesn't overcome a team that is disciplined and cohesive because it has been together for awhile, with its own style and set formation.

We still feel like a team that's building to me, without having a set final lineup or standard formation we play, or the flexibility and knowledge between the player to change it up all the time. We might make the playoffs this year, but games like today remind me that we're still a young team.

The Red Bulls, of course, are shite.

ag futbol
07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Before we read into this too much, let's see who these clubs put on the field. Lot's of MLS teams put out some pretty shitty teams in the USO as they don't want to waste their players.

Do USL teams have some quality? sure, but when it comes down to it, our budgets are twice what theirs our, if we're managing things efficiently we should expect to win.

ensco
07-01-2008, 10:45 PM
All true. But the worrying thing is the trend.

In our last 8 games, we have played poorly 5 times (at DC, at Houston, KC here, at NE, Vancouver here) and were very lucky to win once (at Montreal).

Since mid May, overall, we just haven't looked like a playoff team.

Is this just a rough patch in a long season? Or something worse....?

TFC07
07-01-2008, 10:57 PM
All true. But the worrying thing is the trend.

In our last 8 games, we have played poorly 5 times (at DC, at Houston, KC here, at NE, Vancouver here) and were very lucky to win once (at Montreal).

Since mid May, overall, we just haven't looked like a playoff team.

Is this just a rough patch in a long season? Or something worse....?

It might have to do with missing some our key players during those 8 game stretch due to International games.

werewolf
07-02-2008, 12:35 AM
not only did the Shite Cows lose, not only did they lose to a third division team, they lost to a 10-men third division team.

noochie
07-02-2008, 12:36 AM
not only did the Shite Cows lose, not only did they lose to a third division team, they lost to a 10-men third division team.

Yeah they are in some serious trouble also. Apparently they are also interested in Dickov so if we are locking the guy up we need to get 'er done soon.

noochie
07-02-2008, 12:47 AM
You can add Chivas to this list now, I guess... losing 0-2 to Seattle.

Corpand
07-02-2008, 12:57 AM
lets get a new Toronto USL team!!!!! I'd watch.....as long as its better than the display today.

ensco
07-02-2008, 05:59 AM
It might have to do with missing some our key players during those 8 game stretch due to International games.

I don't think so. The two games we did play well, vs LA and Colorado, were the two when we were hurt most by the absences.

olegunnar
07-02-2008, 06:29 AM
The difference is they lost in the cup
We lost in the Champions League qualifiers.

Huge difference in priorities. You can't compare them.

ilikemusic
07-02-2008, 10:15 AM

and they played very much reserve sides. We had our best team out there.

devioustrevor
07-02-2008, 10:15 AM

The USOC is a Champions League qualifier too.

kodiakTFC
07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Red Bulls lost to a USL-2 side, that's just embarrassing.

Billy the kid
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Is there anything on the line in the U.S. Open Cup. It seems like teams don't care that much about it. The Red Bulls fielded mostly reserves. I don't bring it up as an excuse, because really they should have had a chance if they fielded their academy team against Crystal Palace USA.

Do the teams get some kind of money for winning?

Billy the kid
07-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Nevermind, I didn't realize one of the US Concacaf spots was up for grabs.