PDA

View Full Version : Would you live at BMO

C.Ronaldo
03-08-2011, 02:07 PM
As our new stadium ages quicker than a hookers on the 4th of July.

Would you like at BMO if a new site was picked in the future?

Just like Arsenal?

http://www.highburysquare.com/

http://www.highburysquare.com/images/history.jpg

Whoop
03-08-2011, 02:10 PM
A lot of teams are developing property around their venue.

Look at the ACC and Maple Leaf Square.

I know Benfica is putting a condo development next to their stadium. Will look for info on that.

Suds
03-08-2011, 02:16 PM
I guess if the development fit my lifestyle and budget I would look at it.

It's not surprising sport ownership are moving in this direction. Land value is increasing all the time and they need to be using that limited resource to generate revenue all the time. Especially if that land is inside the city core.

Hotel, shopping, condos, health clubs etc. will all become the norm around sport facilities.

But I'd never live at the Highbury Square development. Too many Arsenal fans. :D

C.Ronaldo
03-08-2011, 02:18 PM
yah, but this is the stadium, its a pretty neat idea and gives a lot of value considering that urban stadiums and arenas lend to the neighbourhood.

Maple gardens would be a cool condo. BMO and liberty village go hand in hand with the "young skinny tie cyclists" and im sure anyone who bought a condo around skydome brag about seeing the jays through their window.

flatpicker
03-08-2011, 02:23 PM
If they offered a nice open studio loft, then I would move in.

Carts
03-08-2011, 02:25 PM
I would never live by a sports stadium...

Look at the ACC / Maple Leaf square - any night of the week, you're relaxing and instant noise when something is let out (concert, sports etc)...

Maybe you're in bed early (sick, early meeting etc), window open b/c its nice, fresh air, bang - loud concert go'ers, drunken sports fans (like me! lol) making noise...

Not to mention, the middle of the night or 6am street cleaner that rolls through to clean up all the trashed generated and littered on the street...

Living next to something like this sounds great on paper - not so good (for me) in reality...

Carts...

rocker
03-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Look at the ACC / Maple Leaf square - any night of the week, you're relaxing and instant noise when something is let out (concert, sports etc)...

Maybe you're in bed early (sick, early meeting etc), window open b/c its nice, fresh air, bang - loud concert go'ers, drunken sports fans (like me! lol) making noise...

Not to mention, the middle of the night or 6am street cleaner that rolls through to clean up all the trashed generated and littered on the street...

Living next to something like this sounds great on paper - not so good (for me) in reality...

Carts...

My girlfriend lives directly across from the ACC (condo on opposite corner of Bay/Lakeshore) and it's not that bad. Before she moved in, she had heard talk about how awful it was before and after a game in the area... certainly there's traffic and crowds for about 30 minutes before and after games/concerts, but the funny thing is for the 2-3 hours *during* a game or concert, it's a ghost town outside ACC!

And it clears out surprisingly quickly. It's amazing how fast people want to get the heck out of the area after :)

The fun thing is actually people watching. Sometimes we sit by the window or stand on the balcony and just watch the activity as people come to or leave the ACC. It's like watching ants running around furiously. But it's orderly and clears out quickly.

One advantage is just the commute. I've gone to a number of concerts at ACC both coming from Mississauga and coming from across the street, and it's so amazing to just stroll across in 1 minute and be at the game/concert.

Carts
03-08-2011, 03:19 PM
My girlfriend lives directly across from the ACC (condo on opposite corner of Bay/Lakeshore) and it's not that bad. Before she moved in, she had heard talk about how awful it was before and after a game in the area... certainly there's traffic and crowds for about 30 minutes before and after games/concerts, but the funny thing is for the 2-3 hours *during* a game or concert, it's a ghost town outside ACC!

And it clears out surprisingly quickly. It's amazing how fast people want to get the heck out of the area after :)

The fun thing is actually people watching. Sometimes we sit by the window or stand on the balcony and just watch the activity as people come to or leave the ACC. It's like watching ants running around furiously. But it's orderly and clears out quickly.

One advantage is just the commute. I've gone to a number of concerts at ACC both coming from Mississauga and coming from across the street, and it's so amazing to just stroll across in 1 minute and be at the game/concert.

It all depends on what you can take...

I've been at my friends place by the ACC, and if I heard the noise and BS every event I've heard the few times there - I'd pull my hair out...

Funny enough, my buddy was the same and lasted just a few months in his condo between moving in and selling (which meant he lost a chunk of chain which sucked - but he couldn't take it)...

Carts...

ElvistheEvilScotsman
03-08-2011, 03:25 PM
I for one couldn't put up with having the CNE and carnies in my back yard for two weeks a year.

Carts
03-08-2011, 03:31 PM
I for one couldn't put up with having the CNE and carnies in my back yard for two weeks a year.

LOL...

Anyone remember when the Carnies were partying with us after a match that one time...???

Made their LIFE probably... ;)

ElvistheEvilScotsman
03-08-2011, 03:34 PM
LOL...

Anyone remember when the Carnies were partying with us after a match that one time...???

Made their LIFE probably... ;)

What about pumping iron out in front of their shoebox sized caravan!

ElvistheEvilScotsman
03-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Beyond my fear of carnies here are a few other reasons why buying property is not a good idea:

1) there won't be enough washrooms
2) the condo fees will be collected by mlse and they will expect a 20 percent increase each year for doing nothing
3) the building will be condemned in five years (remember the bolts raining down in season 1)
4) the roof leaks when it rains
5) a class action law suit will happen as soon as someone breaks their neck walking on the shiny concrete in flip flops on a rainy day.
6) bitchy does a shitty job keeping the shit hawks away
7) the cold wind off the lake

nascarguy
03-08-2011, 03:54 PM

I've been at my friends place by the ACC, and if I heard the noise and BS every event I've heard the few times there - I'd pull my hair out...

Funny enough, my buddy was the same and lasted just a few months in his condo between moving in and selling (which meant he lost a chunk of chain which sucked - but he couldn't take it)...

Carts...
ok old man carts so when do you move in to the old age home......lol

I would love to have a place at Maple Leaf square there is more to do around the acc then bmo

phonzo
03-08-2011, 04:21 PM

ugh.... I live near your girlfriend :p

Also carts you had no problem falling asleep on my couch.

It's fine by the ACC honestly I expected it to be a lot worse. Yes it gets busy for about 20-30 minutes before and after games but honestly with the windows closed you can barely hear anything. During the summer the only noise really is just the hum of cars which you get anywhere living in the city.

There also aren't as many events at the ACC during the summer other then concerts so its a lot quieter. Personally I don't mind it at all..and if BMO met my budget and had a place I liked sure why not.

rocker
03-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Carts...

Your buddy is soft! ;) or he was living in a shitty condo. Which building and what floor?

She's been there a year now and the ACC is a non-factor in living conditions. She's on the 20th floor of 18 Harbour Street, facing the ACC directly, and the noise is minimal. You hear rumblings, of course, like faint thunder in the distance, but the sound of cars on the Gardiner is louder. And barring Lady Gaga coming on late, concerts are over by 11pm. Maybe her building is just well insulated.

Interestingly, with no playoffs, and with concerts going to Molson Amphitheatre in the summer, hardly anything is on at ACC from May to September. In the summer it's dead. It's busy about 3-4 days a week in the fall and winter.

The funny thing is that when the Leafs score, you can hear the buzzer going off about 3 seconds before the goal occurs on TV.

If they ever built condos overlooking BMO I'd buy one... then cancel my season tickets and watch from the balcony! haha. :scarf:

OurGame
03-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I did live at bmo under the stairs at the food building.. since got a job at timmies .. one double double at a time I am making something of myself ..
true !!

Roogsy
03-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Carts...

You sound like an old man Carts!

prizby
03-08-2011, 09:38 PM
would never happen due to the EX

Milky
03-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Only if it came with little soccer nets in the urinals. Yes, urinals in your house washroom. Imagine the awesomeness.

Dazed
03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Leyton Orients ground has flats built in the courners, means you can watch the game from the balcony (and people in the stands can see into your apartment). Not sure would wanna live quite that closealthough would save on ticket costs.

TFC07
03-09-2011, 12:38 AM
NO! I generally wouldn't even want to live in downtown Toronto.

Cashcleaner
03-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Would I ever move to BMO Field if I had the opportunity? In a heartbeat!

I used to live down the street from Easter Road Stadium in Edinburgh and it was quite possibly the best flat I ever had! Nothing beats waking up to singing and drums from the home fans just before noon on a sunny Saturday.

nascarguy
03-09-2011, 09:23 AM
would never happen due to the EX
never say never

Carts
03-09-2011, 09:26 AM
You sound like an old man Carts!

This from a man who spends his Friday nights at home changing diapers while I was on a 72-hour straight booze run...

Yeeeeeaaaah...

Carts... :D

PS: I hate kids, so no I ain't having any ;)

Carts
03-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Your buddy is soft! ;)

Truth be told - he is SOFT! lol

I still didn't like it, but he's one of those guys who goes to the ER with the flu or a throat infection!

Carts...