PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Mar.07

denime
03-07-2011, 06:25 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Toronto Tamed By Fire (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/03/toronto-tamed-fire)

TFC will go on without Cann (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/2011/03/05/17510111.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Stouffville_RPB
03-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Good morning

lips
03-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Mornin'

Technorgasm
03-07-2011, 07:55 AM
the match on saturday evening was tough to watch.. . .

not so much the one sunday morning. . lol

scooter
03-07-2011, 08:05 AM
mornin d

congrats to livers

TOBOR !
03-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Glad to read Winter's comments there about the Cann situation. I think he's spot on.

message to players : behave like a petulant child, get treated like one.

prizby
03-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Cathal Kelly's idiotic column about soccer managers

http://www.thestar.com/article/949624--kelly-liverpool-boss-unlike-other-soccer-managers-for-now#article

mastermixer
03-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Glad to read Winter's comments there about the Cann situation. I think he's spot on.

message to players : behave like a petulant child, get treated like one.

I hate all the back and forth comments that come from this club anytime there is some drama. Just settle this shit and move on! The off field stuff makes more news than the actual on field stuff. We do have a season in two weeks for ___ sakes!

Alixir
03-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Cathal Kelly's idiotic column about soccer managers

http://www.thestar.com/article/949624--kelly-liverpool-boss-unlike-other-soccer-managers-for-now#articlegood to see Kelly is still an idiot.

TorCanSoc
03-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Ya know... I usually get caught by reading his stuff just to confirm his confirmed idiocy. I got through the first paragraph, and just said its not worth it. Good for me. I'm done with that guy. He has some good pieces once in a while, but he writes such drivel that it makes it hard to take him seriously.

boban
03-07-2011, 09:16 AM
The off field stuff makes more news than the actual on field stuff. We do have a season in two weeks for ___ sakes!
'Tis the life of TFC and MLSE in general my friend.
Thought you got used to it already.

mdc 77
03-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Like what Winter has said about the Cann contract situation, he's handled it well. Can't say the same for Adrian.

TFCRegina
03-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Like what Winter has said about the Cann contract situation, he's handled it well. Can't say the same for Adrian.

Winter made the right decision in this case. I've defended Cann's right to do what he did, because he has the right to do so.

He made a mistake in going about it, but certainly I'm happy with how Winter responded. Whereas De Ro was worth more money, Cann is most certainly not. Winter holding the line definitely put a damper on any more of these contract re-negotiations.

bdiddy
03-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Love what Winter is doing here. Its totally unacceptable for a player to leave camp because he doesn't like th previous contract he signed.

The fact that TFC/MLSE offered him a new updated contract was a good sign of faith - but now he has basically turned his back on that and refused to train. That is pretty sad.

Of course - they don't make a tonne of money. But I hate to say that, as a fan. It doesn't matter how much they make (as long as it doesn't destroy our cap situation). As long as they play hard/perform and do what they need to do.

If $65,000 isn't enough, maybe he should quit soccer and try joining the corporate world and go for $50k plus benefits.

Sorry Adrian - don't feel bad for you. You've actual made me upset that you feel your better than the team.

Diddy

maninb
03-07-2011, 09:42 AM
I heard Cann's contract got bumped to $80K which in my opinion is fair for an average 30 year old CB....Cann will soon find himself out of the MLS...

ManUtd4ever
03-07-2011, 09:58 AM
It's good to see that supporters are holding Adrian Cann responsible for his own actions and not automatically blaming the front office based on years past.

Darlofletch
03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Love what Winter is doing here. Its totally unacceptable for a player to leave camp because he doesn't like th previous contract he signed.

The fact that TFC/MLSE offered him a new updated contract was a good sign of faith - but now he has basically turned his back on that and refused to train. That is pretty sad.

Of course - they don't make a tonne of money. But I hate to say that, as a fan. It doesn't matter how much they make (as long as it doesn't destroy our cap situation). As long as they play hard/perform and do what they need to do.

If $65,000 isn't enough, maybe he should quit soccer and try joining the corporate world and go for $50k plus benefits.

Sorry Adrian - don't feel bad for you. You've actual made me upset that you feel your better than the team.

Diddy

was it a good sign of faith, it depends what these offers were, we have little to no information to go on, other than confusion about what exactly his original contract was, and the fact he's had two different offers from tfc (improved, who knows?), and the fact that cann hasn't liked any of them so far and so decided to leave until it gets sorted one way or another.

Don't like the fact that cann's leaving us in the lurch at all, but we have no idea what tfc's asking him to accept, or what he's looking for, so to me at least it's not as cut and dry as some people are making it out to be.

would be good to hear the other side of the story, though at the same time, probably for the best that at least one side of this is keeping things private.

craigtfc
03-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Can't they take cann's crying ass to an arbitrator?

menefreghista
03-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Can't they take cann's crying ass to an arbitrator?

And do what exactly? Force the guy to train and play for us?

If the guy wants to retire from soccer there is shit fuck all TFC can do about it.

craigtfc
03-07-2011, 11:06 AM
To show what he's really worth

TFCDP
03-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Adrian is dead to me

menefreghista
03-07-2011, 11:11 AM
To show what he's really worth

An arbitrator would probably award him a $150,000-200,000 contract.

Besides I don't think MLS has arbitration. And generally arbitration is used in leagues were a player has no contract but a team still has his rights. Which isn't the case with Cann.

Oldtimer
03-07-2011, 11:14 AM

Not a chance.

menefreghista
03-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Not a chance.

I disagree. Arbitration usually leads to over-paying of players. Put your biases aside.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Proof?

menefreghista
03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Proof?

This is anecdotal, but current Maple Leaf Clarke MacArthur is a great example.

He was awarded $2.4 million by an arbitrator after having a 16 goal season. The Thrashers walked away because they though it was too much. He ended up signing with the Leafs for $1.1 million.

Prior to the current CBA in the NHL arbitration was blamed as one of the big factors in the inflation of player salaries. Now there are a lot less arbitration cases in the NHL because GM's try to avoid it like a plague.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-07-2011, 11:44 AM
i see your argument, not sure i believe its the template for all situations in all leagues.
Dont see em going to arbitration either.

Interesting article that popped up on vaguely the same subject
http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2011/03/07/toronto-fcs-dressing-room-problems-linger/

Whoop
03-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Dressing room problems linger.

I thought everything was honky dory. Even if management is screwing you around, the guys in the room should band together.

I mean, Nick Garcia is gone now, so who else is there to blame?

Though I never bought that "Nick Garcia as a narc" in the dressing room bit.

TFCRegina
03-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Dressing room problems linger.

I thought everything was honky dory. Even if management is screwing you around, the guys in the room should band together.

I mean, Nick Garcia is gone now, so who else is there to blame?

Though I never bought that "Nick Garcia as a narc" in the dressing room bit.

Neither did I.

Actually, I never liked Jimmy B and I still don't. But I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong. I guess we'll never know who the real cancer was.

Whoop
03-07-2011, 11:51 AM
And that blog is bang on.

If there are problems in the dressing room, it means there are problems with the character of certain individuals in that room and, personally, I've seen some good teams ruined by bad characters.

As for who those bad characters are, we'll never really find out.

menefreghista
03-07-2011, 11:52 AM
i see your argument, not sure i believe its the template for all situations in all leagues.
Dont see em going to arbitration either.

Interesting article that popped up on vaguely the same subject
http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2011/03/07/toronto-fcs-dressing-room-problems-linger/

Of course we are talking totally hypothetically here.

Thanks for that link.

Whoop
03-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Neither did I.

Actually, I never liked Jimmy B and I still don't. But I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong. I guess we'll never know who the real cancer was.

There was something about Brennan off the pitch that didn't seem right, but I'm not in the room in this particular instance so I can't say.

bman27
03-07-2011, 11:55 AM
The day that Mo was fired was the best thing that ever happened to this club, but it really was just the beginning of the End. I think we will see the after effects of his legacy for years to come

TFCRegina
03-07-2011, 11:56 AM
There was something about Brennan off the pitch that didn't seem right, but I'm not in the room in this particular instance so I can't say.

That's how i felt and still feel but again, you and I weren't there, so we can't really say.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Of course we are talking totally hypothetically here.

Thanks for that link.

no probs, decent read. interesting to see how our new FO deals with this and creates a team (or continues to create a team) with this in mind

Wull
03-07-2011, 12:19 PM
That's how i felt and still feel but again, you and I weren't there, so we can't really say.

There were rumors of him leading one of the cliques in the dressing room when that particular one surfaced, I know former players have been quick to talk up the likes of Danny when he was getting his wall of honor, less so for Jimmy but there was still some. I will say I wouldn't be surprised if this was in part caused by (and I'd bet definitely exploited by) mojo

Alixir
03-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Besides I don't think MLS has arbitration. And generally arbitration is used in leagues were a player has no contract but a team still has his rights. Which isn't the case with Cann.I don't think you can go into arbitration while you are in the 2nd year of a 4 year contract.
Bottom line, and I know its hard for the Cann loyalists to see it, he read his contract, put his hand on the pen and put his jonny H on the contract which means he agreed to the terms of the deal. He had a good season and thinks he's worth more...so Winter tried to help him by offering 2 contracts worth more then his current contract.
Basically any contract offered that is worth more then he is making while he is still under a contract he signed less then a year ago, is not a low ball offer. He asked for more, they said here's more. He said not enough.

He knew that his career was on the downs, thats why he signed the contract he signed. Unless his current contract says Player of the year = raise...he should take what he is offered or go play for a USL team...If he can actually land a job there.

Gazza
03-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I was never a fan of Cann anyway, and i definitely don't think he can play in a "total football" system.

This paves the way for Winter to sign his old friend Ronald Koeman:)

rocker
03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
I don't think you can go into arbitration while you are in the 2nd year of a 4 year contract.

in other leagues, usually it's when you're out of contract but not yet a free agent. If you were a free agent you could just ask for what you want.

And usually players must accrue a good deal of time served to get arbitration.

Cann has a contract, as you say, and he's only served 1 season. Even if MLS had arbitration, he likely wouldn't qualify.

Anyways, if Cann thinks he can get more elsewhere he should ask TFC to cancel his contract and move on. It happens sometimes in Europe if a player really wants to go.

sidvan
03-07-2011, 05:48 PM
My guess is Winter offered Cann a new deal more money but less years. Likely a bump in wage for a one year and an optional second instead of the 4 year deal he signed last year.